Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (36902 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fowowe411: 3:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: my bro what is the meaning of philosophy?

I guess u don't know the meaning and u are typing jagons that philosophy isn't a good course to study

Science and mathematics came to existence through philosophy

Philosophy is a course that broaden ones mind philosophers are natural enterprenuer

In the job prospect for a philosopher there is 92% job prospects for a philosopher in Nigeria.for instance there is no higher institution either coventional ones or non conventional ones that doesn't offer logic and philosophy as a course. who go teach them no be philosophers? that is there 96% job prospect for a philosopher in an educational sector ,a philosopher is also good at researching which is the main aim of philosophers they seek to find knowlege.

The likes of aristotle,socrates,charles darwin,plato including all those who invented one thing or the other were philosopher because they think beyond human reasoning.

Am a philosopher and I love my course because I know what you don't know about life.
I expected more from you since you claim to be a free-thinker.I never in anyway stated that philosophy isn't a good course,I said there is no demand for PHILOSOPHERS in NIGERIA when compare to other developed countries.About the statistics you put up there,I laugh in china because even you better than anybody knows that TEACHING as in lecturing is the major employers of philosophers in this country.
Do you even bother to know the number of students studying philosophy in this country compared to job opportunities available? I doubt it.You can actually prove me wrong.
@Topic again,I think the problem is with Nigeria education system more slots should be made available for sciences/social sciences while humanities should be reduced because Nigeria is not up to the task of catering for this people for now.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
naijacutee: My question is that if Universities offer such a large variety of courses, why are many graduates short of skills? If Universities offered Building & Carpentry for example, why are the houses (including big houses) built to embarrassingly poor standards? Terrible paint jobs, lines that are not straight, tiles not set properly etc?
It's because people patronise quack engineers and tradesmen.
Sometimes you would meet land surveyors (trained by quacks) that don't even have primary school leaving certificate. These same surveyors would be the person on charge of large construction projects.

«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

is building a course ni? u must be high on methamphetamine.
Oh yes...building is a course. i have a friend with bsc in building from OAU doing well in his field in Canada.

I believe no course is useless. if you go to daleko or oke arin market in lagos. You would find many illiterate traders who cant speak English. They are very good with solving business maths though without even using pen and paper. Their signature is thumb printing. But you would see relationship manager from wealth and private banking departments of banks begging these traders to save their millions with them. If you understand yoruba or igbo or hausa language, then you have a big chance of winning their heart and their 100's of million.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Akwuzere(m): 3:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
caye: 1. Russian
2. International relations
3. Agric econs and extension
4. Human kinetics
just go to UI. Dem plenty.
4. Human kinetics
4. Human kinetics
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jeebz: 3:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
I think university courses should overhauled and reviewed. The current structure of Nigerian education was defined on the 60s. We are now in 2014, National Universities Commission should work on not just the curriculum but also the type of courses each school offers. It is true that a Biotechnology graduate can end up working on a bank , but that should not naturally be the case. The only reason that happens is because Nigeria does not have enough science inclined institutes. Basic banking operations or services no specialization, hence even a graduate of Yoruba education can work in a bank.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Sike(m): 3:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
I don tire self.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fowowe411: 3:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: my bro what is the meaning of philosophy?

I guess u don't know the meaning and u are typing jagons that philosophy isn't a good course to study

Science and mathematics came to existence through philosophy

Philosophy is a course that broaden ones mind philosophers are natural enterprenuer

In the job prospect for a philosopher there is 92% job prospects for a philosopher in Nigeria.for instance there is no higher institution either coventional ones or non conventional ones that doesn't offer logic and philosophy as a course. who go teach them no be philosophers? that is there 96% job prospect for a philosopher in an educational sector ,a philosopher is also good at researching which is the main aim of philosophers they seek to find knowlege.

The likes of aristotle,socrates,charles darwin,plato including all those who invented one thing or the other were philosopher because they think beyond human reasoning.

Am a philosopher and I love my course because I know what you don't know about life.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh:

The fact that I'm not yet in school doesn't mean my post does not make
sense. You also are not yet a graduate so you do not have any
after-school experience,then we are still in the same category
considering this discussion!
Yes! I did say other things! I also said 'any course apart from the
ones listed below will most likely be among them.

Read that and digest it then come back here to say whose post is silly!

hmmmmm. An undergraduate/graduate for that matter!

I can't help laughing out loud. cheesy

What did i say? Didnt i say u know little or nothing abt sch. cos u r not in it? Why then do u expect me to embark on aimless rebuttal with u on this. Once again, good day!!!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by SenatorJames(m): 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
4. Human kinetics

I'm proud to be a graduate of Agricultural Economics and Extension.

To the Glory of God, I got my job in November (4 months after nysc) in a big private financial institution.

The leader of the interview panel said she was please with the way I was parkaging my course more than some even respected courses, despite all discouragement she was giving me. She told me during our documentation that it was the confident she saw in me that gave me upper chance to be taken.
PLEASE VALUE WHAT YOU HAVE

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Akanbi93: 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
grandstar: I studied estate management and most of my colleagues are doing well today. The course enables you to establish on your own. Some courses are advantageous than others.The best degree however is self belief and knowledge that u know where you r going.
helo sir,i currently gaind admisn into UNILAG to study Estate managemnt.pls what ar d type of stuff i wud b learning in my 400l nd 500l
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by longshanks23: 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
Universities advertise professional courses (you need to study these courses before you can work in the fields-medicine, law, engineering, theology, etc) and non-professional courses.
That being said, all undergraduate courses are templates for achieving tertiary education (emphasis on EDUCATION) and not necessarily as a source of livelihood.
No degree is worthless, as they are all meant to provide HIGHER EDUCATION. Most people want to study the professional courses but have to settle for others because of JAMB and co. and now lament the poor job prospects.
Let's take a look at Nigeria. How many employers have a need for a graduate of Local Government Studies? Even Banking and Finance graduates have a hard time getting banking jobs.Thankfully, with the exception of the professional courses, there is no law that says most jobs in Nigeria should be tailored to courses of study.
So, before going to study for a course, are you studying that course because of personal interest and enthusiasm for it, or are you looking for a livelihood?

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

Now, You _bastard son of a thousand fathers and a wobbly pussied commercial sex worker based in the dirtiest of slums in Ajegunle,I pity Your miserable and pathetic life.

You know absolutely nothing sad Kpangolo head grin

This link would be of help to Your empty coconut head »» www.aauekpoma.edu.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180&Itemid=285

Abu Mikey y u quote me na
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

Abu Mikey y u quote me na

Na to enlighten the guy small.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
sikells:
are they successful with d agric. they studied in skul?..or they changed to anoda field,which in the case of yaradua..politics

Ok so agricultural courses are useless?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

Na to enlighten the guy small.

E kon b like say i follow share dat heavy yab, lol
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
RedBenson:

What did i say? Didnt i say u know little or nothing abt sch. cos u r not in it? Why then do u expect me to embark on aimless rebuttal with u on this. Once again, good day!!!

Obviously,you have no point any more! Well,you now know who is the dunce and whose post is silly. I'm done with you.
Next time,try to give meaningful contribution without having to insult anyone! I hope you are doing well in school. Don't worry,it is not a matter of how far,but how well. Thanks.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
Make all of una dey fight ontop Degrees, when U are done , ask the next Accountant how much you have gained or lost !
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
zeelo2014: Political science

Stop embarrassing your politicians. The fact that GEJ was supposed to be in the zoo but rather finds hinself in aso rock today doesnt mean there are no basis for "Political Science".
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by promisechild(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
fowowe411: I expected more from you since you claim to be a free-thinker.I never in anyway stated that philosophy isn't a good course,I said there is no demand for PHILOSOPHERS in NIGERIA when compare to other developed countries.About the statistics you put up there,I laugh in china because even you better than anybody knows that TEACHING as in lecturing is the major employers of philosophers in this country.
Do you even bother to know the number of students studying philosophy in this country compared to job opportunities available? I doubt it.You can actually prove me wrong.
@Topic again,I think the problem is with Nigeria education system more slots should be made available for sciences/social sciences while humanities should be reduced because Nigeria is not up to the task of catering for this people for now.
guy I must tell you that u are uninformed. a philosopher doesn't argue with a naïve person which I wouldn't find myself doing,
Since u don't know the meaning of philosophy all u need to do is to shut up,have u ever seen a philosopher walking around the the streets begging for alms before? Or have a philospher visited your house to collect garri from your family or neigbour? I guess No and you are saying what you don't know

A philosophy student who really knows what he or she is doing would always thrive in life because they have the key to life in their hands.

King Solomon was famous and rich because of the wisdom he has

That is the wisdom he has gave him wealth and made him famous

Seek for wisdom and everything shall be added to you

Recently I saw a publication by a multi national company in Nigeria and I decided to summit a fake CV though am not a graduate,just to gain the experience of how the interview world looks like

During the interview proper I was interviewd by 3 whites and 2 blacks. I was asked some behaviourial and logical questions which my philosophical thought helps me to answer all their questions currently without any hindrance.

Guess what on the 29th of october 2013 I was asked to resume work the following monday which I didn't because am still an undergraduate.

So my brother study philosophy and your life will never remain the same again

HRs don't need your brain they need u to answer their logical and behavioural questions they would asked you while we the philosophers knows how to answer those questions because we are the master of logic.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh:

Obviously,you have no point any more! Well,you now know who is the dunce and whose post is silly. I'm done with you.
Next time,try to give meaningful contribution without having to insult anyone! I hope you are doing well in school. Don't worry,it is not a matter of how far,but how well. Thanks.

Well, to portray how annoying and misinformed your post of listing valuable courses (according to ur personal understanding) take a look at the no. of people quoting and rebutting ur list as baseless, incorrect and untrue. Be more informed a bit next time before u post anything on a public forum cos u dont know who and who are on the forum. Good day!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

E kon b like say i follow share dat heavy yab, lol

No oo.

You be bros na grin

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 03, 2014
haykins01: Geologists,Geophysicists r hotcakes also..only say 4 futa ehn na die o....#Team Geology

Yeah bro! Geology/geophysics are not easy. You need to sit tight. God is helping us. #geology
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
SammyT95: Pls no offnce wots ''Remote sensing'' used for?

It's used in 'sensing' and 'controling' witches and wizards in ur village. grin
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by zeongeon: 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2014
No course is useless the issue is thaat naija isn't that developed or is still developing to see the need of such courses we term as useless...in time as we develop we will see the need off such courses thaat we term as useless for example if our police really want to up their game in investigation then we see d need for philosophers and pshycologist, if naija as a nation wants to develop its agricultural sector then we see d need for plant scientist, agric economist etc...as we develop we see d need for courses we term as useless

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fowowe411: 4:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: guy I must tell you that u are uninformed. a philosopher doesn't argue with a naïve person which I wouldn't find myself doing,
Since u don't know the meaning of philosophy all u need to do is to shut up,have u ever seen a philosopher walking around the the streets begging for alms before? Or have a philospher visited your house to collect garri from your family or neigbour? I guess No and you are saying what you don't know

A philosophy student who really knows what he or she is doing would always thrive in life because they have the key to life in their hands.

King Solomon was famous and rich because of the wisdom he has

That is the wisdom he has gave him wealth and made him famous

Seek for wisdom and everything shall be added to you

Recently I saw a publication by a multi national company in Nigeria and I decided to summit a fake CV though am not a graduate,just to gain the experience of how the interview world looks like

During the interview proper I was interviewd by 3 whites and 2 blacks. I was asked some behaviourial and logical questions which my philosophical thought helps me to answer all their questions currently without any hindrance.

Guess what on the 29th of october 2013 I was asked to resume work the following monday which I didn't because am still an undergraduate.

So my brother study philosophy and your life will never remain the same again

HRs don't need your brain they need u to answer their logical and behavioural questions they would asked you while we the philosophers knows how to answer those questions because we are the master of logic.
I give up on you.Can't you make your points clear without attacking my personality? I can see you are a free-thinker indeed.Well I refuse to be intimidated by this your choice of words btw it is a free point.The main thing is you can't understand a simple write-up.what is in philosophy that I don't know? I did philosophy for over 2 good semesters as a borrowed course no doubt the course is rich in knowledge but my point here is what's the demand rate for them in a country like Nigeria?.All am saying is govt should cut the rate at which these people are being admitted.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Thank God for this Topic. I'm Enligtened.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 4:44pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

Now, You _bastard son of a thousand fathers and a wobbly pussied commercial sex worker based in the dirtiest of slums in Ajegunle,I pity Your miserable and pathetic life.

You know absolutely nothing sad Kpangolo head grin

This link would be of help to Your empty coconut head »» www.aauekpoma.edu.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180&Itemid=285

it is cogent and clear-headed that common-sense which is thought to be cheap, eludes you blitheringly. And your stupidity is hereditary and contactual angry

Give that useless link u posted to that plug-ugly leprosy-stricken oshodi prostitutte u cald Mom, she wld need it smiley embarassed

i wna let u knw that your king-sized FOOLISHNESS and toxic STUPIDITY is cataclysmic, and it can DRY a full ocean.. u wasted sper.m of an edo notorious ANU$ DRILLER embarassed

most brain-dead gay-son of an infamed oshodi night club stripper/bl0wjob expert grin grin
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Mansion26(m): 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
Kendzyma: y all diz beef?? List ur own if u nt satisfied or wat ar ur keypad meant 4?...guess u in for soil scienc
. Soil Science is a good course. It entails all spheres of life..
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by longshanks23: 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
With the poor mastery of the English Language displayed on CVs, application letters and even on NL, it is no wonder a lot of graduates have some difficulty getting hired.
Dreadful spelling, poor tenses, non-existent punctuation, starting sentences with 'Am' instead of 'I am' or 'I'm', and so on.
Employers may not care about your course of study, but your presentation, including your application helps a lot.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Mansion26(m): 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
Akwuzere: [color=#990000][/color]
Any course in university is highly important so far the world is concerned. MG FRSC read transportation management and he is so much made today. No course is small for one to be neglected.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by EmmyDe25(m): 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh:

#LOL. I'm neither a Mass Comm student nor a Law student,what I know is,being a lawyer is not all about working in a court of law,and Mass Comm is not all about being a radio/television presenter! I hope you get it.

Check the words in bold below for the first part.
Please educate him more.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

it is cogent and clear-headed that common-sense which is thought to be cheap, eludes you blitheringly. And your stupidity is hereditary and contactual angry

Give that useless link u posted to that plug-ugly leprosy-stricken oshodi prostitutte u cald Mom, she wld need it smiley embarassed

i wna let u knw that your king-sized FOOLISHNESS and toxic STUPIDITY is cataclysmic, and it can DRY a full ocean.. u wasted sper.m of an edo notorious ANU$ DRILLER embarassed

most brain-dead gay-son of an infamed oshodi night club stripper/bl0wjob expert grin grin

Guy wats ur problem, u just want to show us dat u can speak grammar or what, cos ur not making a point, yes he insulted and still made a point, he won by giving a proof(d link), you should have accepted
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

After I showed You a link to buttress my facts, You still playing dummy undecided

You failed, so did Your dad's condom. gringrin

Get outta my mentions, I'm not gonna reply You one more time on this issue. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities / Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / FG Didnt Give ASUU Ultimatum – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.