Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria (11624 Views)

Ghana To Legalize Gay Marriage Soon / Ghana To Export Cars To Nigeria And The Rest Of Africa. / Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:40am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahaha Ghana should compare with saudi arabia? and nigeria should compare with which countries? since we are supposed to compare Ghana with saudi and kuwait, can you give me Ghana's revenue profile and that of saudi arabia etc?

What ''revenue profile'' are you talking about? Do your leaders give you any ''revenue profile'' that is not in keeping with their looting of Ghana? Listen, let me tell you something. Your leaders are lucky they do not have Nigerians as their people. They would have known no peace. There is NO REASON for there to be a single poor person in Ghana today. You have oil and gas, You have gold. You have cocoa. You have manganese. All in world class, commercial quantities. With just 20 million people. I mean that's less than the population of Lagos! So where the hell is all your money going?

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 1:40am On Jan 03, 2014
hahaha the last time I checked,power generation for the whole nigeria is 2600MW. so how is power for lagos 6 times more than accra? do you know how much power Ghana generates?LOL did u say lagosians had light during xmas?u dont live in lagos,huh?haha

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:45am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahaha the last time I checked,power generation for the whole nigeria is 2600MW. so how is power for lagos 6 times more than accra? do you know how much power Ghana generates?LOL did u say lagosians had light during xmas?u dont live in lagos,huh?haha

You don't need to lie. Power generation output in Nigeria stands at around 4,000 mw with installed capacity at over 8,000 mw. These numbers are rising by the day as new power plants and transmission systems are commissioned. You are crazy to say ''Lagosians had no light at xmas''. It was like any other day, with some neighbourhoods experiencing power cuts and some not experiencing them. Ghana has installed capacity of about 1,900 mw, so actual generation may be around 1,000 mw.

http://www.energymin.gov.gh/?page_id=78
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 1:55am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You don't need to lie. Power generation output in Nigeria stands at around 4,000 mw with installed capacity at over 8,000 mw. You must be on drugs to say ''Lagosians had no light at xmas''. It was like every other day, with some neighbourhoods experiencing power cuts and some not experiencing them. Ghana has installed capacity of about 1,900 mw, so actual generation may be around 1,000 mw.

http://www.energymin.gov.gh/?page_id=78

Christmas Celebration Marred By Power Outage In Most Parts Of Lagos, Residents Say grin

http://www.informationng.com/2013/12/christmas-celebration-marred-by-power-outage-in-most-parts-of-lagos-residents-say.html

Posted by: daniel
on December 27, 2013

Many residents of the Lagos metropolis celebrated this year’s Christmas in darkness grin grin grin, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Visits to Mile 12, Ketu, Ojota, Maryland, Palmgrove, Onikpanu, Bariga, Lagos Island, Oshodi/Isolo, Apapa, Munshi, Iyana Oworo neighbourhoods of Lagos revealed the areas had been experiencing a blackout since December 25.

Some of the residents expressed displeasure at the failure of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) to supply stable electricity under the existing arrangements.

Ayo Adeyinka, a resident of Mushin, said that the privatisation of the power sector had not been beneficial to the citizens in spite of the government’s efforts to make things work.

“We have never seen it like this before. There was light on December24, although it was on and off till 7 a.m. on the Christmas day.

“Since that time, up till this morning, we have not seen light in any part of this area,’’ he said.

A resident of Ketu, Sunday Olarewaju, noted that the PHCN management had not given any explanation for the prevailing blackout.

“We do not know if PHCN workers are on strike or not.

“In our usual way, we have checked the transformers and moved round but there is no sign that a major fault was responsible for the blackout,” he said.

Mr. Olarewaju said that the residents’ representatives were planning to go to the nearest PHCN office to demand an explanation for the blackout.

Adeloju Shokoya, a resident of Lagos Island, expressed regret that he and his family had a “harrowing experience celebrating Christmas without electricity.

“If there is light, you will not meet most of us outside; we would have been somewhere else watching films or football matches.

“I have been on generator since Christmas Day with the hope that PHCN would soon restore electricity supply. Up till this morning, we have not seen even the normal flashing they give us at times,” he said.

Another Lagos Island resident, Adetola Williams, however, said that the people would continue to enjoy themselves, whether there was light or not.

“PHCN or no PHCN; man must enjoy himself. Yesterday, we were outside drinking and we used generators to power our musical sets in order to enjoy ourselves.

“From the look of things, we may do the same again today; because l don’t understand this PHCN palaver anymore.

“You know they do what they like but they cannot spoil our enjoyment and merriment in this Christmas period,” he said.

When a correspondent visited some PHCN district offices in Ketu, Lagos Island and Fadeyi; only security men were on duty.

However, it was gathered from the security men that the workers were not on strike but they were not certain if a major fault had been responsible for the blackout.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 03, 2014
^^^ Yawnnnnn. Two can play that game:

Ghanaian laments Power cuts in his country

Mirror Diary
By Kwasi Gyan-Apenteng

http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/1394.html

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE POWER CUT?

I have been in a silly argument with a friend for the past fortnight and as there is no resolution in sight, I have decided to invite you, my dear readers, into the fray so you can share your insights and experiences. The argument is about electricity, or actually the lack of it. It is like this: for the past five weeks, my estate which is in the Spintex area in Accra has been receiving even more foul treatment from Ghana's illustrious power company, the venerable Electricity Company of Ghana. Every night, we are deprived of power for up to five hours, which is a substantial increase from the two hours to which we had grown accustomed. sa

I have to explain that these power cuts disappear entirely from the end of June to the middle of September every year and start again once the cool season is over. You don't have to be a genius to work out that there is a direct correlation between the increase in temperature and the intensity and length of power cuts. I believe that we are the victims of power rationing by stealth and the ECG authorities have neither an answer to the problem nor to our questions. They are counting on our usual "give-it-to-God" approach to ride this out till next June.

My friend who lives in Kumasi says that the area where he lives experiences an average of five power cuts everyday as opposed to "my" one every evening. The argument that is threatening years of friendship is about who is "enjoying" the "better" service. In any normal society, we would both simply accept that we were victims of a clueless and uncaring state institution that has seen its most productive years behind it. But Ghana is not that normal society; there are too many situations that mark us out as unique or even eccentric and one of them is our enduring willingness to accept ill treatment as an Act of God. I think that somewhere in the inner recesses of our being is hidden a programme that enjoins us to enjoy being denied what is ours by right. Let us take street lights as an example.

I cannot ever understand why we have no street lights in most parts of Accra, the nation's capital, when we the residents pay for such a service in our bills every month. It would be comforting if there were light poles along our streets, for then we could hope that light bulbs would be attachedŠ someday. But the pole-less status of our streets indicate that whoever has this responsibility has no intention of fulfilling it. And yet every analysis of the effects of street lights leads to the overwhelming conclusion that their presence reduces accidents, especially those involving vehicles and pedestrians, leads to greater security, less crime, less antisocial behaviour and encourages good sanitation practices. Cities need street lights, the same way our bodies need air, to survive and function effectively.

But back to the argument: my friend says that in their part of Kumasi, there are at least five power cuts every day and I tell him that we have at least one every evening. So far, so bad for both of us, you would say, but the argument is in the detail. According to my friend, the five daily average Kumasi power cuts last for about 15 minutes each and come at any and all times of the day but hardly in the evening. However, the Spintex Road cuts, of which I am a prime victim, come at all times of day but the most virulent ones are reserved for evenings usually just before the 7 O'clock News, and especially on European Champions League nights.

There are three different types of Spintex Area power cuts: the short, medium and long cuts. The short are brief interruptions that resemble the Kumasi "shorts", except they come in rapid successions so that you can have ten shorts during one morning spell. Medium cuts last up to 30 minutes and usually occur during important national moments such as the President's speech at the Independence Day Parade. They are usually restored after the speech. The long ones are the ones we are experiencing at the moment - up to five hours every night has been the average since the beginning of November, which is a marked increase in the previous "longs" that lasted up to two hours nightly.

My friend argues that my type of power cut is preferable because the long, predictable ones have settled into a pattern, and like any old friend you get to know and accept them as they are. I, on the other hand insist that I would prefer the Kumasi "shorts" because 15 minutes of misery is a drop in the general scheme of suffering to which Adam's original sin has condemned humankind, whereas three hours every night is beginning to sound like the makings of a mini purgatory designed by ECG. Now then, the argument is between Kumasi "shorts", unpredictable but short and Spintex "longs" predictable but interminable.

This dilemma is the same as that which confronts drivers on the "new road" that links the Achimota-Legon road to Dome in Accra. This road is no more than three years old, and I understand it was constructed by a well known contractor who must have been paid good money for his effort. However, it is now an obstacle course that tests not only your driving skills but strength of character and judgement. This is how it works: there are so many potholes strung across the road in so many parts that when you get to each set, you stop, survey all the potholes and then decide which one is the best to fall into. My favourite set of potholes is right smack in the middle of the stretch. The pothole on the left looks okay until your front tyres fall in together with the entire front undercarriage.

Now that we have come to a point where we have to select the best pothole to fall into and argue about which power cut is better, I think we can agree that we are on a veritable race to the bottom, except we don't know how far we still have to fall. Two years ago, our power cuts used to last up to one hour at a time and happened, on average every other evening. Last year, the government predicted an increase in our per capita income and the length of our power cuts responded accordingly, except this was not an estimate but the real thing. This year, the government told us we were even getting better and the per capita was going up. Well, the length of our power cuts raced ahead.

I am writing this column by candlelight, and in the encircling gloom outside I can hear a few generators disturbing the otherwise still and airless night with their thudding din. In all of this, I think I can glimpse the future and it is called Victoria Island in Lagos. There, a huge generator is de rigueur for every home and as a result, the streets are full of black effluents spewing from the motors while the night air is fouled by the pong of powerful half-burnt hydrocarbon mixtures. When I glimpse the future I can only see us sliding down into a bottomless pit of abject public services, and leading this downward race is our electricity supplier.

The erratic management of electricity supply is a symptom of the lack of efficiency in our public services and without an efficient public service regime, Ghana's claim to be the Gateway to Africa rings hollow. Managing public services is not rocket science; it is done very well in many countries in the world and we can do it too. But it cannot be done with an apathetic public that accepts to choose which pothole is the best to fall into and which pattern of power cuts to accept. Neither can it be done with a public service management that rides on the public's seeming acceptance of the lowest standards of delivery.
As to the argument between my Kumasi friend and me, the solution is simple: we, alongside all the victims of ECG, must adopt the Zambian approach, which calls for cheated and irate customers to go and dump the rotten stuff in our fridges and freezers at the door of the ECG managing director and his senior "managers". In order not to waste fuel on the undeserving, regional and district ECG victims can dump their stuff at their local ECG offices but for the Christmas protest we need dumpers to come from across the country to dump in Accra.

The Mirror

Power Blackout in Ghana parliament:

Power Cut Blinds MPs…....''We Can Only Hear Voices'', They Tell Speaker

''Parliamentary Proceedings were yesterday brought to a temporal halt for about an hour following power outages in the House.

While members were seriously contributing to motions to approve budget estimates for the various Ministries Departments and Agencies, power went off on some occasions which forced the Minority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu to call on the first Deputy Speaker to halt proceedings for power to be restored before they continue.''

http://elections.peacefmonline.com/pages/parliament/201312/182693.php
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:09am On Jan 03, 2014
chei, roforofo your sh1thole is generating 2,600 MW for a population of 200 million. Ghana produces 2,800 MW for its 24 million population grin unfvckinbelievable

Power generation in sh1tnigeria drops to 2,628.6MW grin grin grin

The total amount of electricity generated in Nigeria as at 6am on Saturday was 2,628.6 megawatts. grin

This indicates a sharp drop from the little above 4,000MW, which the Federal Government had recently announced as the country’s generated power.

The drop in generated electricity, according to the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, is as a result of severe leaks in the supply of gas to some strategic power plants across the country.

Nebo, according to a statement on Saturday, which was signed by his Special Assistant on Media and Communication, Ms. Kande Daniel, described the development as worrisome.

The minister, in the statement said, “Total grid generation as at 6am on Saturday is 2,628.6MW,” adding, “With this low level generation, management of the grid is currently a big task, necessitating a nationwide load shedding.”

While explaining the current grid generation situation, Nebo attributed the drop to the low gas supply to the generation plants especially in eastern Nigeria.

He said three power stations in the region: Afam IV, Afam VI, and Rivers Independent Power Plant, were shut down again on Friday night, as a result of gas constraints arising from condensate issue on the Trans National Pipeline.

This, he said, put total generation loss from the stations at 624MW.

He said Olorunsogo power station was also down due to low gas pressure, and as a result, 89MW of power was lost.

The minister went further to state that low head water elevation was also limiting generation at Kainji and Jebba hydro stations to one unit each.

Nebo, however, observed that the Federal Government had moved in to arrest the crisis in the gas sector as this was affecting power generation in parts of the country negatively.

He stated that the government was assembling a crack team of experts across the oil industry to investigate in particular the cause of the severe leaks in the gas supply channels in the eastern part of the country and determine measures to ameliorate the situation.

The minister said it was painful that this was happening when many Nigerians were already rejoicing and celebrating over the stabilisation of power nationally.

He noted that as soon as the cause of the leakage was established, measures would be taken to fix the problem.

Nebo solicited for understanding and urged Nigerians to be patient, stressing that the situation was being tackled.

Energy Minister says Ghana's power capacity exceeds 2800MW grin

Energy Minister says country to add 534 megawatts to power output end of 2013

Ghana plans to add about 534 megawatts (MW) to the current power output which stands at 2311 MW. As at May 31, 2013, the country brought on stream a total of 267 MW and according to the government it is happily on course with its electricity generation roadmap.

At a press conference in Accra July 4, 2013, Ghana’s Energy Minister Mr Emmanuel Kofi Buah, highlighted some power generation additions executed by the government in the first five months of the year. “132 MW from the Takoradi 3 thermal plant, 133MW from one unit of Bui Dam and 2MW solar plant in Navrongo,” Mr Buah told the press.

Mr Buah assured that “By the close of 2013…we would have added a total of 534MW when the remaining two units of Bui come on stream bringing total installed capacity to 2,845.5MW.” In 2014, he said the government will add a total of 342MW with the completion of 220MW Kpone thermal power plant; 110MW Takoradi II expansion project and another 12MW solar plant. Mr Buah adds “This will bring total generation to 3,187.5MW.” According to the Minister, a total of 1,060MW is expected from four planned projects in 2015 and in 2016, 1,711MW is expected from additional seven planned projects, bringing aggregate generation capacity to 5,958.5MW. These planned capacities,

Mr Buah noted will be provided by the Volta River Authority (VRA), Bui Power Authority (BPA) and Independent Power Producers (IPPs). The Energy Ministry is said to be reviewing the enabling environment to attract prospective developers to the power sub-sector. - See more at: http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2013/07/07/energy-minister-says-country-to-add-534-megawatts-to-power-output-end-of-2013.

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by biafranqueen: 2:11am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahaha the last time I checked,power generation for the whole nigeria is 2600MW. so how is power for lagos 6 times more than accra? do you know how much power Ghana generates?LOL did u say lagosians had light during xmas?u dont live in lagos,huh?haha

Lights in Lagos is the least of your worries, I advise you to tend to your countries ills, 99 percent of the people are suffering in poverty. Every person in your country should at least have free health care at least free education just 20 million Ghanaian's with unlimited funds rolling in from the resources you guys should be boasting at least 1 International Airport one Mega City.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=296722
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 03, 2014
santaMafia: chei, roforofo your sh1thole is generating 2,600 MW for a population of 200 million. Ghana produces 2,800 MW for its 24 million population grin unfvckinbelievable

^^ You are clearly an illiterate who doesn't know the difference between installed capacity and actual generation. You quoted your sh1thole Ghana's claimed installed capacity and juxtaposed that with Nigeria's fluctuating daily output. Shouldn't you cure your illiteracy before comparing your puny sh1thole country to Nigeria?
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:15am On Jan 03, 2014
Nigeria’s Electricity Crisis: From Bad to Worse grin grin grin grin grin

Despite the unprecedented level of investment in the power sector and increase in electricity tariffs, power supply situation in Nigeria is getting worse day by day, with the gap between demand and supply widening sharply in the urban areas, write Chika Amanze-Nwachuku and Ejiofor Alike

On assumption of office, in May, 2010, President Goodluck Jonathan made a solemn promise that his priority would be to tackle Nigeria’s decade long electricity problem and ensure that Nigerians enjoyed steady power supply.

The president reasoned that the erratic nature of Nigeria’s power supply cannot guarantee any meaningful industrial development and can also not lead the country to her vision of becoming one of the top 20 industrialised nations of the world by the year 2020.

To make good his pledge, Jonathan on August 26, same year (2010), unveiled a detailed power sector roadmap as part of the implementation of the reform process, which legislative groundwork was laid by the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act of 2005.

President Jonathan, no doubt, set about the new task with vigour as the power sector, under his administration, witnessed unparalleled level of investment and unprecedented enthusiasm from local and international investors to invest in the Nigerian economy.

Also, some projects initiated by his predecessors, Olusegun Obasanjo and the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua have been completed, while other new ones are ongoing. Government’s efforts to increase power supply paid off initially, especially in 2011 and 2012 as power supply first hit an unprecedented peak of 4,321.3megawatts at about 9.15am on August 31, 2012.

Power generation also continued to hover around this figure throughout the remaining part of 2012, hitting an all-time peak of 4,517mw on December 21, 2013; thus setting a new record in the country.

However, since the beginning of this year, the power situation has been characterised by a cyclic hope and despair, a development, which has been blamed on frequent system collapse and several man-made factors.

A sharp drop in power supply was first noticed in January 2013 when Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) shut down the Okpai Power Plant in Delta State for repairs, reducing generation by 460mw before it rose again to 4,286mw peak for the month. Although it hit 4,350mw peak in February, by March 26, 2013, the figure had dropped to 3,670.3megawatts.

Generation was also poor in April as it decreased further to 2,987.6mw on April 6 due to inadequate gas supply to the thermal stations, before it ramped up to 3,443mw on April 9.

After a slight improvement, the situation worsened further to 2,866.4mw in the same month as a result of general system failure, which was very rampant during the first half of 2013. Today, power outages have metamorphosed into complete darkness in most parts of Nigeria, while many urban cities and towns across the country hardly enjoy three to four hours of uninterrupted power supply.

The Blame Game

Ironically, power technocrats are never short of excuses for the unending power crisis, which has become a major threat to Nigeria’s quest to become one of the top industrialised nations of the world by 20-20-20.

Inadequate gas supply, shortage of water in the dams, vandalism or theft of power equipment, poor funding and presence of “demons” or “mafia” as claimed by the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, have been identified as major causes of the power woes.

Only last month, the power minister said he has discovered that the cause of the current blackouts being experienced across the country were due to increased rainfall, excessive growth of vegetation along transmission highways and challenges of weak electricity transmission assets.

He specifically noted that the increasing frequency of collapse of the power transmission network, which had officially reached over 15 times since the beginning of this year, was “caused by rainfall and vegetation”.

The minister claimed that the research he conducted showed that power supply situation was usually at the worst between the period of April and July due to rainfall, which causes outages and system failures.

“It is important to mention that such disturbances to the national supply systems usually peak at the commencement of the rainy season across the country. This is usually a natural phenomenon owing to our geographical peculiarities. The ministry is fully aware of the constraints and limitations of the nation’s transmission network but wishes to assure Nigerians that the Transmission Company of Nigeria is repositioned and being funded to meet with the expectations and requirements”, Nebo said.

He added: “Like the system failure in Bayelsa, which knocked off the entire Bayelsa State for over two weeks and we had to put in everything to restore that, was caused by very huge tree falling and destroying to the very foundation, one of the transmission towers. The one that happened in Birni Kebbi affecting three different states was also caused by a big storm that occurred and knocked out three transmission towers. So, this is the time that this thing occurs and we are doing our best not only to take care of these things at this time but also to make sure that the occurrences don’t repeat next year”.

A recent statement issued by head of media to the Chairman of Presidential Task Force on Power (PTFP), Mr. Beks Dagogo-Jack, noted that the trend of blackouts was due to the fact that Nigeria’s current available peak power cannot satisfy the demands of its population of 160 million people.

The PTFP’s Awele Okigbo, who sighed the statement had argued that “current generation, transmission and distribution capacity of the country were simply not enough for its population, hence the blackouts”.

Dagogo-Jack had also recently blamed repair jobs on key installations for failure of Nigeria to attain the 5,000MW electricity generation target by the end of December 2012.

He said: “There were projects behind these projections and if we don't have those projects in place, we cannot have power and so if you were supposed do a particular line that was overloaded, you would have to deliver it in time and some of those projects slipped and didn't come when we wanted them, they didn't vanish but are behind schedule and so we will not have them now but later”.

While weak transmission network had also been identified as a major cause of frequent drop in electricity supply, the Transmission Company of Nigeria, (TCN) claimed that the massive load shedding experienced nationwide recently had been caused by vandalism of two major gas pipelines supplying gas to eight power generation stations in the country.

The power generation stations, which include the Egbin/AES Thermal Stations; Olorunsogo, Omotoso, Geregu NIPP, Afam IV and VI Thermal Power Stations as well as Rivers State Independent Power Station, had been affected, resulting in drastic reduction of power supply by 1,598 megawatts.

A statement by the company’s General Manager (Public Affairs), Mr. Dave Ifabiyi, TCN explained that one of the vandalised gas pipelines took supply from Okoloma gas plant, while the other took supplies from Escravos. Ifabiyi said with the disruption of gas supply through the lines, the Nigerian Gas Company (NGC), was unable to move gas to Afam IV, Afam VI as well as the Independent Power Plant in Rivers State, resulting in generation loss of 593MW.

He said the second vandalised gas pipeline from Escravos to Warri caused a cutback of 1,005MW in power generation from Egbin/AES power generating station, Olorunsogo, Omotosho and Geregu NIPP power generating plants. According to him, with the total generation loss of 1,598MW, the total power generation as at that day was 2,290MW.

Inadequate Gas Supply

The issue of inadequate gas supply ranges from shortage of gas supply from the gas producers, to abrupt disruption of supply due to shutting down of gas plants for maintenance. Abrupt disruption in gas supply to the thermal stations had on several occasions resulted to the tripping of transmission lines during the period under review.

On several other instances, there were cases of closure of gas plants by the International Oil Companies (IOCs) for routine maintenance. Also most of the newly-completed power plants built under the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) did not have gas supply.

Oil companies, which produce the gas that are piped to the power stations, are reluctant to invest in domestic supply because the current pricing template does not guarantee adequate return on investment.

He said: “If you have a minister that said I will deliver this, give him the backing and if he does not deliver, he has to be sanctioned. How many people have been sanctioned? People who set up timelines, give them what they need to work with, and if they don’t perform, then they have to be sanctioned”.

According to him, “because nobody has sanctioned them, the timelines have continued to be bungled. We have become a laughing stock; we are generating 4000mw in a country of over 160 million people”.

Also, experts in the sector who commented on the development at the weekend noted that the setting unrealistic targets have become the practice in Nigeria, particularly in the energy sector. They noted that government failed to deliver on its target to generate 10,000mw, 6,000mw and 10,000 in 2007 and 2009 respectively and also did not make timelines for completion of various power projects, some of which had been under construction for almost a decade, and had never been met.

They expressed regret that by making these false projections, these government officials are making Nigeria a laughing stock before the international community, and urged that the authorities who hired them should call them to order.

Hike in Tariffs

But despite the poor supply of electricity in the first half of 2013, the federal government secretly increased tariffs in March 2013, less than one year after the June 1, 2012 hike in tariffs.

The government had also in 2011 increased electricity tariff silently from N4.20k to N7.00, but there was relatively significant improvement in power generation and distribution then.

On June 1, 2012, Nigerians commenced payment of a new tariff regime under the Multi-Year Tariff Order (MYTO) following a fresh increment by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), despite public outcry.

Apparently due to the public outcry that greeted the June 1, 2012 hike in tariffs, the government decided to make the March 2013 increase a secret by not making any public pronouncement or carrying out public enlightenment campaign as was the case in 2012.

Under the latest increase, electricity consumers, especially those using pre-paid meters were subjected to 50 per cent increase in fixed charges/maintenance charges with effect from March, 2013. The Residential 1 (R1) customers that were paying N500 as maintenance charges were asked to be paying N750 under the new tariff regime.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by biafranqueen: 2:16am On Jan 03, 2014
President Mahama promised Ghanaians that the erratic power supply, which was crippling businesses, would cease by mid-November 2012. It did not. It carried on until July 2012. “Dumsor dumsor” as the erratic power supply was popularly referred to, had a serious effect on small businesses such as tailoring shops and hairdressing salons that could not afford generators. The businesses that could afford generators were hit with fuel price hikes. Fuel prices were increased at least three times in 2013 – in January, May, October and November. The fuel price increment led to an increase in prices of goods and services.

As if the increase in fuel prices was not enough, the Mahama Administration increased utility tariffs by more than 50% causing a public outrage. The trade unions threatened a strike, which never happened. Water prices went up, electricity prices went up, and then the government increased taxes to add to the economic hardship of the ordinary Ghanaian. The cost of living in Ghana increased enormously in 2013 whereas salaries remained the same. Life was hard.Written by Kow A. Essuman, Esq.

LL.B. Hons (Westminster), PgDip (BPP), LL.M. (Cornell)

Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln's Inn) (England and Wales)

Attorney and Counselor-at-Law (New York)

Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ghana

Send all comments, corrections and suggestions to kaessuman@yahoo.com
You don't hear what again smh come check us when your leaders are using the money to build Ghana, If we empty Lagos of Ghanaian's again that will double your population so be very careful my friend cool
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:19am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

^^ You are clearly an illiterate who doesn't know the difference between installed capacity and actual generation. You quoted your sh1thole Ghana's claimed installed capacity and juxtaposed that with Nigeria's fluctuating daily output. Shouldn't you cure your illiteracy before comparing your puny sh1thole country to Nigeria?

look, shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarap your dirty mouth,huh? installed ni actual nko, what difference does it make to the fact that more than halfs of your suffering and-no-longer smiling mumus are sleeping without electricity as we speak? and this is a for a country with huge oil and gas reserves. dem curse una, abi? useless goat.

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 03, 2014
Ghana Power cuts: Mahama's government lacks vision - Gyamfi

Asamoah Gyamfi has stated that the NDC government for the past four years has not initiated a single power-plant project as a long-term means of solving the energy crisis. According to him, the “government lacks vision” to accelerate the pace of establishing the gas project to generate power in the country.

The NPP communicator alleged that the Brazilian loan which was meant for a power plant in Pwalugu was instead used for the Eastern Corridor Road while the project was not only meant for a hydro dam but to serve as irrigation for Ghana.

He said the NDC government was not being truthful to Ghanaians on the issue of power generation since it has not shown any commitment to bail out the Volta River Authority (VRA)of the debt of $500 million it owes the suppliers of light crude.

He further stated that the Asogli power plant produced about 200 megawatts with a deficit of 200 needed to solve the energy crisis, but the Aboadze thermal plant which uses both gas and light crude is not being utilised to generate more power.

Asamoah Gyamfi said there are generators but until government provided money for VRA for light crude, the erratic power outage saga will not end because governments solution on the power cuts was not forthcoming.
(ouch)
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=265528
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: look, shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarap your dirty mouth,huh? installed ni actual nko, what difference does it make to the fact that more than halfs of your suffering and-no-longer smiling mumus are sleeping without electricity as we speak? and this is a for a country with huge oil and gas reserves. dem curse una, abi? useless goat.

Worthless vagabond. Better go speak to your dirty, stinking mother like that and not me. Your own country with huge oil and gas, plus gold reserves and cocoa is still home to millions of poverty stricken people with no clothes, nasty dirty villages with no running water and electricity. Dem curse una abi? With only 20 million people. What's your excuse? When will you hold your govt to account you dumb Sam Sausagehead with crocodile breath feeling funky?
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:25am On Jan 03, 2014
biafranqueen:
You don't hear what again smh come check us when your leaders are using the money to build Ghana, If we empty Lagos of Ghanaian's again that will double your population so be very careful my friend cool
hahahaha biafran queen? where your brother clifford orji sef? biafra abi bianca, who cares? hahahahaha sh1tnigeria grin omo generator republic https://www.nairaland.com/351178/generator-nation-citizens-spend-n796 grin

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:26am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahahaha biafran queen? where your brother clifford orji sef? biafra abi bianca, who cares? hahahahaha sh1tnigeria grin omo generator republic https://www.nairaland.com/351178/generator-nation-citizens-spend-n796 grin

Have they restored light to your generator fuelled Ghana parliament yet?

Thought not.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:30am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Worthless vagabond. Better go speak to your dirty, stinking mother like that and not me. Your own country with huge oil and gas, plus gold reserves and cocoa is still home to millions of poverty stricken people with no clothes, nasty dirty villages wity no running water and electricity. When will you hold your govt to account you nasty non-entity with crocodile breath?
hahahahaha modafaka what do you expect from a MUMU from MUMUDOM? http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ grin revel in the horribleness of your sh1thole,huh? only God will save you apes fsrom terminal insanity, walahi grin such narrow minded, miserable people with inferiority complex inhabiting a miserable dustbin country muhahahahahahahah grin

Nigeria looted oil money 'laundered abroad' grin grin grin grin

The proceeds from stolen Nigerian crude oil sold each year on international markets are being laundered in world financial centres, a new report says.

The London-based think-tank Chatham House said Nigeria's oil was being looted on an "industrial scale".

Africa's biggest oil producer should be more proactive in sharing intelligence so foreign governments can help crack down on the organised crime, it said.

Losses account for 5% of Nigeria's total oil output, the report said.

A conservative estimate - with 100,000 barrels a day believed to be the minimum amount stolen - lost revenues to the Nigerian government this year will be $3.6bn (£2.2bn), Christina Katsouris, co-author of the report Nigeria's Criminal Crude: International Options to Combat the Export of Stolen Oil, said.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We tried to find cases of prosecution for money-laundering linked to crude oil theft and couldn't find one”
Christina Katsouris
Nigeria's Criminal Crude report writer

"Proceeds are laundered through world financial centres and used to buy assets in and outside Nigeria. In Nigeria, politicians, military officers, militants, oil industry personnel, oil traders and communities profit, as do organised criminal groups," the report says.

It said that oil theft networks used foreign banks among other channels to launder or store their illicit earnings.

"Thieves have many ways to disguise the funds they move around the world. These include bulk cash smuggling, delayed deposits, heavy use of middlemen, shell companies and tax havens, bribery of bank officials, cycling cash through legitimate businesses and cash purchases of luxury goods," the report said.

People interviewed by Chatham House said other African countries, Dubai, Indonesia, India, Singapore, the US, the UK and Switzerland were possible "money-laundering hotspots".

"We tried to find cases of prosecution for money-laundering linked to crude oil theft and couldn't find one," Ms Katsouris said.
'Blood diamonds'

According to the report, interviewees said that the US, several West African countries, Brazil, China, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and the Balkans were possible destinations for the illicit oil.

"Because it's so mysterious we can't be sure that it's confined to a small narrow band of people - in fact we think that there's a very strong likelihood that it is actually going into the legal market," Ms Katsouris said.

The BBC's Tomi Oladipo in Nigeria says the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), charged with regulating the country's oil industry, is often seen as ineffective and corrupt.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:36am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahahahaha modafaka what do you expect from a MUMU from MUMUDOM? http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ grin revel in the horribleness of your sh1thole,huh? only God will save you apes fsrom terminal insanity, walahi grin such narrow minded, miserable people with inferiority complex inhabiting a miserable dustbin country muhahahahahahahah grin

Your tiny Ghana sh1thole kenkey dustbin full of prostitutes is the real problem. Fu.cked up failed state with all the resources on earth yet power cuts in parliament and poverty throughout the country. Nation of failiures.. Tuifia kwa.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:38am On Jan 03, 2014
SantaMafia: hahahahaha modafaka what do you expect from a MUMU from MUMUDOM? http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ grin revel in the horribleness of your sh1thole,huh? only God will save you apes fsrom terminal insanity, walahi grin such narrow minded, miserable people with inferiority complex inhabiting a miserable dustbin country muhahahahahahahah grin

Nigeria looted oil money 'laundered abroad' grin grin grin grin

The proceeds from stolen Nigerian crude oil sold each year on international markets are being laundered in world financial centres, a new report says.

The London-based think-tank Chatham House said Nigeria's oil was being looted on an "industrial scale".

Africa's biggest oil producer should be more proactive in sharing intelligence so foreign governments can help crack down on the organised crime, it said.

Losses account for 5% of Nigeria's total oil output, the report said.

A conservative estimate - with 100,000 barrels a day believed to be the minimum amount stolen - lost revenues to the Nigerian government this year will be $3.6bn (£2.2bn), Christina Katsouris, co-author of the report Nigeria's Criminal Crude: International Options to Combat the Export of Stolen Oil, said.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We tried to find cases of prosecution for money-laundering linked to crude oil theft and couldn't find one”
Christina Katsouris
Nigeria's Criminal Crude report writer

"Proceeds are laundered through world financial centres and used to buy assets in and outside Nigeria. In Nigeria, politicians, military officers, militants, oil industry personnel, oil traders and communities profit, as do organised criminal groups," the report says.

It said that oil theft networks used foreign banks among other channels to launder or store their illicit earnings.

"Thieves have many ways to disguise the funds they move around the world. These include bulk cash smuggling, delayed deposits, heavy use of middlemen, shell companies and tax havens, bribery of bank officials, cycling cash through legitimate businesses and cash purchases of luxury goods," the report said.

People interviewed by Chatham House said other African countries, Dubai, Indonesia, India, Singapore, the US, the UK and Switzerland were possible "money-laundering hotspots".

"We tried to find cases of prosecution for money-laundering linked to crude oil theft and couldn't find one," Ms Katsouris said.
'Blood diamonds'

According to the report, interviewees said that the US, several West African countries, Brazil, China, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and the Balkans were possible destinations for the illicit oil.

"Because it's so mysterious we can't be sure that it's confined to a small narrow band of people - in fact we think that there's a very strong likelihood that it is actually going into the legal market," Ms Katsouris said.

The BBC's Tomi Oladipo in Nigeria says the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), charged with regulating the country's oil industry, is often seen as ineffective and corrupt.

WHEN WILL THEY DO A SURVEY OF GHANA? WHEN WILL THEY TELL THE WORLD WHY A COUNTRY OF JUST 20 MILLION PEOPLE that sells nearly as much gold as SOUTH AFRICA, oil and gas, and all the cocoa on earth is wallowing in abject poverty??

IDIOTT.. Wasting time focusing on Nigeria while YOUR OWN COUNTRY GHANA is being shared by your greedy politicians and their western accomplices.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:39am On Jan 03, 2014
Peregrino Brimah: Nigeria ranks bottom 10 in world in almost everything grin grin grin grin grin
By Peregrino Brimah on October 22, 2013@dailypostngr

Below is a compilation of just a few indices in which Nigeria ranks proudly at the bottom 10 in the entire world: grin
#8 – General Corruption: Nigeria is 8th most corrupt nation in the world according to Transparency International 2 grin grin ;D013 Global Corruption Barometer.
#4 – Police corruption: Nigeria ranked 4th highest in the world for perceiving the police as corrupt grin, according to the same Transparency survey.
#1 – Being born: The Economist Intelligence Unit, EIU ranked Nigeria the worst place to be born in 2013 grin grin grin grin.
#4 – Population in Slavery: Nigeria with up to 740,000 in slave bondage ranks 4th in the world in modern slave nations grin, according to the just released Global Slavery Index. Fitting in after Pakistan.
#1 –High Sea Piracy: As the world records lower global stats, thanks to Nigeria, West Africa is now the world piracy capital. shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed According to the International Maritime Bureau reported Nigeria had 11 of 66 global incidents for the first quarter of 2013. grin grin 966 sailors were attacked last year off West African coasts.
#9 – Maternal mortality: According to World Bank data, Nigeria ranks 9th worst in the world with 630 deaths per 100,000 grin from 10 years data collected from 1990-2010.
#2 –Software Piracy: The 2011 Global Software Piracy Study conducted by Business Software Alliance ranked Nigeria 2nd in the world, grin with software piracy costing the nation a whopping $251m (N39.4bn).
#1 – Exam Malpractice: Director General National Orientation Agency (NOA) Mr. Mike Omeri whose agency partners with Exam Ethics Marshals International, in 2012[b] ranked Nigeria #1 in the World Exam Malpractice Index[/b] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
#11 – Good Governance: Nigeria ranked 4th worst in West Africa, 13th of 16, in Safety & Rule of Law, Participation & Human Rights, Sustainable Economic Opportunity, and Human Development, in the 2013 Ibrahim Index of African Governance. Nigeria ranked 41st out of the 52 countries listed overall. grin grin grin
#1 – Bribe: Nigeria ranks highest for Bribe in the world on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act grin (FCPA) interactive map, online at- fcpamap.com
#1 – VVF: According to United States Agency for International Development, USAID, Nigeria has the highest prevalence of Vesico-Vaginal Fistula in the world, with over 200,000 patients and an annual incidence at 20,000. cool That is 40% of the global cases in Nigeria alone.
#7 – Terrorism: Global Terrorism Index (GTI) ranks Nigeria the 7th worst in the world for terrorism over the last 10 years grin, according to its 2012 assessment.
#2 – Road Traffic Accidents (RTA): In 2012, Nigeria ranked second highest in road traffic accident grin(RTA) fatalities among the 193 countries in the world according to the Minister of Health.
#1 – Aviation Accident for 2012: In 2012 with over 153 onboard deaths and more on the ground, in the Dana Air Boeing MD83 airline accident, Nigeria had the world’s worst aviation accident. shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed
#4 – Worst City: Despite aggressive transformation by the Lagos government, the EIU in its 2013 annual survey of 140 major metropolises ranked Lagos the 4th worst city in the entire world. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
#7 – Growing Old: Global AgeWatch Index 2013 ranking of 91 countries, put Nigeria at #85; the seventh worst country to grow old in. grin Nigeria in the report ranked third lowest for income security. grin
#2 – HIV/AIDS: With an estimated 3.4 million living with the virus, the National Action Committee on Aids (NACA) put the nation as the second worst in the world. grin grin grin grin
#2 – Electricity: Nigeria is ranked by the World Bank as the 2nd worst in the world in power grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin(electricity) supply. According to the report, 82.4 million Nigerians, half the nation lived without power. India is #1.
#1 – Kidnapping: In the first half of 2013, Nigeria had the most kidnapping attempts of any nation in the world, grin grin according to NYA International organization of Crises prevention and response. Recording 26%, over a quarter of all incidents. Mexico was second with 10% and Pakistan 3rd with 7%.
#1 – Oil Spills Worldwide: From Vanguard on November 14, 2012: Nigeria has highest oil spill in the world grin grin grin– Senate; the nation records the highest number of oil spill incidences among oil producing countries with no penalty regime attached to such oil spills
#4 – Oil Spillage Outages: Vanguard reported on October 8th, 2013, that with more than 200,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil being lost to pipeline vandalism, Nigeria ranks 4th worst in the world in oil spillage outages grin, according to Deutsche Bank and other shipping and industry estimates. Libya, Syria, Iran and lead Nigeria in outages for obvious reasons including recent wars and US sanctions at Iran.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:44am On Jan 03, 2014
^^^ Who cares about that dubious nonsense compiled by some Ghanaian failure?

All WE care about is:

WHEN WILL THEY TELL THE WORLD WHY A COUNTRY OF JUST 20 MILLION PEOPLE that sells nearly as much gold as SOUTH AFRICA, oil and gas, and all the cocoa on earth is wallowing in abject poverty??

A village near Bolgatanga, in northern Ghana: ''Special programmes are needed to overcome the north’s heavy concentrations of poverty, poor climate and limited economic opportunities.''
Photograph: SpraguePhoto.com/ Sean Sprague
- See more at: http://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/october-2008/closing-ghana%E2%80%99s-national-poverty-gap#sthash.hQbnfhXz.dpuf
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:45am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:
Your tiny Ghana sh1thole kenkey dustbin full of prostitutes is the real problem. Fu.cked up failed state with all the resources on earth yet power cuts in parliament and poverty throughout the country. Nation of failiures.. Tuifia kwa.

Jeez, you guys eat from the dustbin? http://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html wasting mytime talking to an animal who eats from the dustbinhttp://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html
http://www.chimpout.com/forum/showthread.php?160202-Lagos-Nigeria-the-largest-nigger-city-in-the-world grin

walahi you guys are fvcked up http://saharareporters.com/article/depressing-tales-nigeria grin

abeg, you get some human parts to sell? https://www.nairaland.com/1298232/human-parts-dealers-arrested-lagos grin

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by SantaMafia: 2:46am On Jan 03, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

SantaMafia: Peregrino Brimah: Nigeria ranks bottom 10 in world in almost everything grin grin grin grin grin
By Peregrino Brimah on October 22, 2013@dailypostngr

Below is a compilation of just a few indices in which Nigeria ranks proudly at the bottom 10 in the entire world: grin
#8 – General Corruption: Nigeria is 8th most corrupt nation in the world according to Transparency International 2 grin grin ;D013 Global Corruption Barometer.
#4 – Police corruption: Nigeria ranked 4th highest in the world for perceiving the police as corrupt grin, according to the same Transparency survey.
#1 – Being born: The Economist Intelligence Unit, EIU ranked Nigeria the worst place to be born in 2013 grin grin grin grin.
#4 – Population in Slavery: Nigeria with up to 740,000 in slave bondage ranks 4th in the world in modern slave nations grin, according to the just released Global Slavery Index. Fitting in after Pakistan.
#1 –High Sea Piracy: As the world records lower global stats, thanks to Nigeria, West Africa is now the world piracy capital. shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed According to the International Maritime Bureau reported Nigeria had 11 of 66 global incidents for the first quarter of 2013. grin grin 966 sailors were attacked last year off West African coasts.
#9 – Maternal mortality: According to World Bank data, Nigeria ranks 9th worst in the world with 630 deaths per 100,000 grin from 10 years data collected from 1990-2010.
#2 –Software Piracy: The 2011 Global Software Piracy Study conducted by Business Software Alliance ranked Nigeria 2nd in the world, grin with software piracy costing the nation a whopping $251m (N39.4bn).
#1 – Exam Malpractice: Director General National Orientation Agency (NOA) Mr. Mike Omeri whose agency partners with Exam Ethics Marshals International, in 2012[b] ranked Nigeria #1 in the World Exam Malpractice Index[/b] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
#11 – Good Governance: Nigeria ranked 4th worst in West Africa, 13th of 16, in Safety & Rule of Law, Participation & Human Rights, Sustainable Economic Opportunity, and Human Development, in the 2013 Ibrahim Index of African Governance. Nigeria ranked 41st out of the 52 countries listed overall. grin grin grin
#1 – Bribe: Nigeria ranks highest for Bribe in the world on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act grin (FCPA) interactive map, online at- fcpamap.com
#1 – VVF: According to United States Agency for International Development, USAID, Nigeria has the highest prevalence of Vesico-Vaginal Fistula in the world, with over 200,000 patients and an annual incidence at 20,000. cool That is 40% of the global cases in Nigeria alone.
#7 – Terrorism: Global Terrorism Index (GTI) ranks Nigeria the 7th worst in the world for terrorism over the last 10 years grin, according to its 2012 assessment.
#2 – Road Traffic Accidents (RTA): In 2012, Nigeria ranked second highest in road traffic accident grin(RTA) fatalities among the 193 countries in the world according to the Minister of Health.
#1 – Aviation Accident for 2012: In 2012 with over 153 onboard deaths and more on the ground, in the Dana Air Boeing MD83 airline accident, Nigeria had the world’s worst aviation accident. shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed
#4 – Worst City: Despite aggressive transformation by the Lagos government, the EIU in its 2013 annual survey of 140 major metropolises ranked Lagos the 4th worst city in the entire world. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
#7 – Growing Old: Global AgeWatch Index 2013 ranking of 91 countries, put Nigeria at #85; the seventh worst country to grow old in. grin Nigeria in the report ranked third lowest for income security. grin
#2 – HIV/AIDS: With an estimated 3.4 million living with the virus, the National Action Committee on Aids (NACA) put the nation as the second worst in the world. grin grin grin grin
#2 – Electricity: Nigeria is ranked by the World Bank as the 2nd worst in the world in power grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin(electricity) supply. According to the report, 82.4 million Nigerians, half the nation lived without power. India is #1.
#1 – Kidnapping: In the first half of 2013, Nigeria had the most kidnapping attempts of any nation in the world, grin grin according to NYA International organization of Crises prevention and response. Recording 26%, over a quarter of all incidents. Mexico was second with 10% and Pakistan 3rd with 7%.
#1 – Oil Spills Worldwide: From Vanguard on November 14, 2012: Nigeria has highest oil spill in the world grin grin grin– Senate; the nation records the highest number of oil spill incidences among oil producing countries with no penalty regime attached to such oil spills
#4 – Oil Spillage Outages: Vanguard reported on October 8th, 2013, that with more than 200,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil being lost to pipeline vandalism, Nigeria ranks 4th worst in the world in oil spillage outages grin, according to Deutsche Bank and other shipping and industry estimates. Libya, Syria, Iran and lead Nigeria in outages for obvious reasons including recent wars and US sanctions at Iran.

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 03, 2014
All WE care about is:

WHEN WILL THEY TELL THE WORLD WHY A COUNTRY OF JUST 20 MILLION PEOPLE that sells nearly as much gold as SOUTH AFRICA, oil and gas, and all the cocoa on earth is wallowing in abject poverty??

A village near Bolgatanga, in northern Ghana: ''Special programmes are needed to overcome the north’s heavy concentrations of poverty, poor climate and limited economic opportunities.''
- See more at: http://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/october-2008/closing-ghana%E2%80%99s-national-poverty-gap#sthash.hQbnfhXz.dpuf
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Jiggaman101: 2:50am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

The fact still remains 70% of Nigerians live on a dollar a day, the unemployment rate is above 50%, you have erratic power supply, no clean water, terror everywhere you go. Poorer education system. Does anything work in that country you call Nigeria. Is a damn shame that a country with a vast material and human resources can be that bad. Is really a shame and instead for y'all to hold your gov accountable you are over here fighting with innocent people.

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51am On Jan 03, 2014
SHUFFERING AND SHMILING: POVERTY IN GHANA:

''WHERE IS OUR GOLD, COCOA AND OIL MONEY''

http://kwekudee-tripdownmemorylane..co.uk/2013/08/dega-mo-people-agriculturalist-gurunshi.html
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Jiggaman101: 2:52am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE: All WE care about is:

List any positive thing in Africa and Ghana would be top ten list any negative thing in Africa and Nigeria would be top ten. Can we really call Nigeria a country.

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:55am On Jan 03, 2014
Jigga_man101:

The fact still remains 70% of Nigerians live on a dollar a day, the unemployment rate is above 50%, you have erratic power supply, no clean water, terror everywhere you go. Poorer education system. Does anything work in that country you call Nigeria. Is a damn shame that a country with a vast material and human resources can be that bad. Is really a shame and instead for y'all to hold your gov accountable you are over here fighting with innocent people.

We REJECT your 'stupi.d ''dollar a day'' calculations which are utterly meaningless, as not even a BEGGAR in Nigeria lives on a dollar a day. As for other problems, AT LEAST GROW A BRAIN and go on the UNICEF website to see national stats and see where Nigeria stands and how much progress it is making before typing ignorant rubbish off the top of your head.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Jiggaman101: 2:57am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

We REJECT your 'stupi.d ''dollar a day'' calculations which are utterly meaningless, as not even a BEGGAR in Nigeria lives on a dollar a day. As for other problems, AT LEAST GROW A BRAIN and go on the UNICEF website to see national stats and see where Nigeria stands and how much progress it is making before typing ignorant rubbish off the top of your head.

Do your research and stop b.tching, the fact still remains 70% of your people live on less than a dollar a day, which is really a shame for a country with that vast resources.

1 Like

Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:01am On Jan 03, 2014
Jigga_man101:

List any positive thing in Africa and Ghana would be top ten list any negative thing in Africa and Nigeria would be top ten. Can we really call Nigeria a country.

Number of universities: Nigeria 135, Ghana 2 or 3.

Number of airports: Nigeria 25, Ghana 1 or 2.

Middle class: Nigeria 60 million, Ghana 6 million

Annual GDP: Nigeria $370 billion, Ghana $35 billion.

Largest internet/telecoms market in Africa - South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt, Kenya:

Ghana position (unknown)

Nigeria: First African indigenous car manufacturer, INNOSON Motors. Ghana: No vehicle industry.

Space Program :Nigeria built first black built satellite, Nigersat x currently in space. Ghana does not have a space program.

Nigeria: First black Nobel laureate in Literature: Wole Soyinka. Ghana... zero.

Nigeria: listed in Next 11 of global powers: Ghana... zero

Economy: Nigeria largest economy in Africa (overtaking South Africa after GDP rebasing): Ghana... ermm maybe 29th?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Eleven

Nigeria: 2nd most highly developed financial services sector in Africa after South Africa, with a mix of local and international banks, asset management companies, brokerage houses, insurance companies and brokers, private equity funds and investment banks. Ghana?..erm

''According to Citigroup, Nigeria will get the highest average GDP growth in the world between 2010–2050. Nigeria is one of two countries from Africa among 11 Global Growth Generators countries.

Previously, economic development had been hindered by years of military rule, corruption, and mismanagement. The restoration of democracy and subsequent economic reforms have successfully put Nigeria back on track towards achieving its full economic potential. It is now the second largest economy in Africa (following South Africa), and the largest economy in the West Africa Region.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria

NUFF SAID
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02am On Jan 03, 2014
Jigga_man101:

Do your research and stop b.tching, the fact still remains 70% of your people live on less than a dollar a day, which is really a shame for a country with that vast resources.

You need to get a refund on your education. DUNCE. Even after we've told you that beggars earn more than that in Nigeria you still post the same illiterate garbage. THICK SKULL.
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by CrudeGH: 3:04am On Jan 03, 2014
funny country funny people. I dey laugh oo! 90% surviving on $2 a day. what more is disgraceful than that?
Re: Can We Compare Ghana To Nigeria by CrudeGH: 3:08am On Jan 03, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You need to get a refund on your education. DUNCE. Even after we've told you that beggars earn more than that in Nigeria you still post the same illiterate garbage.THICKSKULL.
hahaha what a piece of pus-filled garbage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians Can We Forget This Guys? (pictures) / Buhari Will Be Nigeria Worst President / Plateau Governorship Election: Useni Rejects Outcome, Heads For Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.