Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48560 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Blaqsmith(m): 10:00am On Jan 03, 2014
Brianino: As a true fan. John michael nchekwube obi@obi mikel dsavs 2b in d top 3 of apoyr.ma gosh,luk hw majestic yaya toure iz,enyeama's heroics,bt what can we say of mikel?D LAZIEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME.unbelievably slow.no goalz.no assists. Truth be said he did great in 2013.bt african best? An award d great okocha didnt win.givin him d award will b only bcuz adenuga d host am.bt lyk seriouz d guy doesnt dsav 2b called african best.WISH HIM LUCK SHA.hez certainly nt d best in nigeria nt 2 talk of africa. BLUEZ 4 LIFE

please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO AND DIE!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 10:00am On Jan 03, 2014
pumpingmachine: abegi you are all the same. What is good in suggesting that someone, your compatriot, is not good enough for the African title? Mikel has won 2EPL, One Champions league title, one Europa league, nations cup, FA. . . And he led the Super Eagles to victory. If u don't like him, just shut up. Do u think if Mikel sees this thread, he would be proud of playing for Nigeria? And you are talking nonsense. Mr. Analyst, analyze that
so because he is nigerian we shouldnt be objective again?? ok then, let us build a shrine for abdumutallab in the name of patriotism..

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by danjalingo: 10:01am On Jan 03, 2014
Krasid: They should just give the award to yaya, so as not to disgrace Africa.Mikel is good but he is not world class.

Yaya is world class but what did he achieve at both club and international level. the role Mikel plays in Chelsea is different from that of Yaya in MCI. if you watched Nigeria vs Ivory coast at the last AFCON semi final Mikel wrestled that midfield from Yaya's grip, and as the say the rest is now history. and just to remind you Mikel did not warm the bench last season in Chelsea.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by alllffy(m): 10:01am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by ayusco85(m): 10:03am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?

Go and die. Or better still, go and kiss a fuse in the transformer. Enemy of progress like u. What do u know about football to even think of criticising mikel's selection for the award? Or even talking about weda he deserves it or not.? Nonsense attention seeker and ethnic bigot. A̶̲̥̅♏ sure u are a Yoruba guy beefing igbos
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by chelseaguy: 10:04am On Jan 03, 2014
leggo:
football IQ? what does mikel do pls. he isn't a deep lying playmaker like pirlo and carrick, he isn't box to box like vidal nd yaya ,he doesn't have the positional awareness of busquets. please what is mikels strong point?? besides back passes

Mikel has positional awareness! Please take your time to watch him better. Mikel is an holding player that doesn't have to keep the ball for long hence the 1 to 2 touches. Of course Busquest does it better but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Like I said earlier, you need to be well informed in football to appreciate his play.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by adeyrule(m): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2014
Ustec: 'Non-Sense'Rubbish talk....when cannavaro a defender, won the world footballer of the year, why u no write to FIFA that its a disgrace 2 world football...all this Man U fans ehn..make una leave obi alone abeg...
wetin concern man u fans fr dis one?guy abi hot akara dey ur mouth ni wey make u jus dey talk anyhow
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni:
Bro did you watch d back of ur t.v or was ur t.v black and white ??.
Mikel was just returning 4rm a hip injury. moses too wasnt 100% fit.Benitez didnt say any shiit.
Ramires didnt even play in any midfield,he played on d RIGHT WING.
Lampard patnered luiz in midfield.
Last season When mikel didnt start,he was always on d bench(d chelsea squad was too thing).
But in d finals,Mikel WASN'T EVEN ON THE BENCH,he wasnt listed in d 18 man list for d match.
Ake a reserve player was on d bench.
Mikel was not FIT,he just recovered 4rm injury few days before d finals.
Here is Mikel's injury/suspension history:-

Hip/Thigh Injury01/05/13 to 13/05/13 (EL finals was 16/05/13)
Knee Injury27/12/12 to 04/01/13
Suspended06/12/12 to 24/12/12
Hamstring23/12/11 to 09/02/12
Back Injury01/11/11 to 05/11/11
Knee Injury02/01/11 to 14/01/11
Knee Injury22/04/10 to 15/05/10
Brother!wagbayi,let him come explain to us where he got his own info,na wa o.OMAR22,come out ooooooooo,I laugh in swahili.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2014
chelseaguy:

Mikel is not a flashy player that attracts praises. He's a team player with high intelligence with good control and retention. He usually plays to instruction and very discipline on the pitch.

So when David Luis or Ramires plays in the same position are they playing to the same instructions? you could had Essien and Makalele to the list
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Chidelis(m): 10:07am On Jan 03, 2014
This guy does nt knw futball,nt to talk of knwing mikel,he is someone dat goes to a viewin centre just to watch highlite. U DON'T KNW FUTBAL DAT ALL I HAVE TO SAy

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by fuck419: 10:09am On Jan 03, 2014
when jay jay deserved it, it wasn't given to him. Life is not about works but GRACE. If Mikel has that GRACE, then let it be. Millions of you cannot stop it if it is the WILL of GOD.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:10am On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: Brother!wagbayi,let him come explain to us where he got his own info,na wa o.OMAR22,come out ooooooooo,I laugh in swahili.

According to Benithez who only confirmed that Hazard, Moses and JT were doubtful

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8701757/rafa-benitez-coy-on-selection-for-europa-league-final
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Peterpan1(m): 10:10am On Jan 03, 2014
Haters
Mikel will win the afoty and if he doesn't' he still remians my favourite player.
So haters I'll advise you book a room in a hospital very close to your locality cause come Jan. 9, mmh.........let's wait and see.
proudly blues
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by danjalingo: 10:11am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Im a Nigerian nd I hold nothing against Mikel as a player, in fact am a fan esp then when he represented Nigeria in d U21 category in d world cup back in 2005. I just like to be factual.
U re right Mikel is doing what he does best, but unfortunately some others re doing it better.
Ans ds:
does it make sense for a palyer who warms d bench in europe to come to africa nd is crowned d footballer of d year? Pls just YES or NO..
We are talking about last season. Mikel didn't warm the bench when Chelsea won the Europa league. in some of the matches he didn't play Chelsea faltered most of the time. crosscheck your records, please.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by loswhite(m): 10:12am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.
stfu since u r not a footballer. See how so much hate is eating u up. Rubbish and lame opinion
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:12am On Jan 03, 2014
chelseaguy:

Mikel has positional awareness! Please take your time to watch him better. Mikel is an holding player that doesn't have to keep the ball for long hence the 1 to 2 touches. Of course Busquest does it better but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Like I said earlier, you need to be well informed in football to appreciate his play.

As a Chelsea fan tell me why do you think Chelsea wants to buy back Matic from Benfica?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by toprealman: 10:13am On Jan 03, 2014
All of you saying rubbish should tell me why Okocha failed to win the award at least for 2004 or 2005. He was the best African footballer but due to silly politics he was not recognised. In my opinion, if Mikel should win, whoever thinks it is an insult to African football or whatever should go and hug transformer!!! #team emenike or mikel for AFOY
FYI, I am not a Mikel fan in any way, shape or form.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by ShyDare(m): 10:13am On Jan 03, 2014
I tink mikel deserves d award, his club form may nt av bin wow but he was massive in d middle 4us in Jan. He won trophies, yaya did nt. Mikel wud av flourished more if he stuck wit man utd, mourinho converting im 2a defensive midfielder made im what he's 2day. No doubt mikel is a gud player, I wnt im 2av an individual honour, it can up his morale 4 '14 w/cup.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by fuck419: 10:14am On Jan 03, 2014
[color=#990000][/color] why being particular about MIKEL? This is pure envy and evil. If you don't appropriate someone who has gotten to the top, you will never get to the top.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 10:15am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

According to Benithez who only confirmed that Hazard, Moses and JT were doubtful

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8701757/rafa-benitez-coy-on-selection-for-europa-league-final
He mentioned them as being doubtful,but Mikel was already ruled out due to injury,next time get your facts right.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 10:17am On Jan 03, 2014
tybank: Man City without Yaya will be a disaster any day
Chelsea without Mikel ,nothing to worry about
Mention 3 best player in Man City,Yaya name would pop up
Mikel is not in the top ten best players in Chelsea
Go to National teams,Yaya is a commander,Mikel is a local champion
Exactly chief.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 10:17am On Jan 03, 2014
leggo:
really?? eto won the la liga that year, what did J.J win??
And Mikel won d afcon and europa league last yr what did YAYA win ?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by JaypeeAnics(m): 10:17am On Jan 03, 2014
[color=#770077][/color]
Pls tell me........mikel plays 4 chelsea and in chelsea dey dnt hv a 1st team......wat of mata? Essen? Ramires? Lampard? Torres? Eto?......do dey get d starting shirt in chelsea 4 God sake mourinho does wat he knws best.......ehn....mourinho evn said dat mikel is his best defending midfielder ......abeg gv d crown to MIKEL OBI jho.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by chelseaguy: 10:18am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

As a Chelsea fan tell me why do you think Chelsea wants to buy back Matic from Benfica?

Still a rumour my friend besides Matic is a Central Midfielder. I hope you know your football?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 03, 2014
If footballer of the year = Trophies | Then Mikel's the owner..

If its based on Outstanding performances(Home and Abroad) | Its Yaya Toure's Birthright..

I can remember messi winning it even without Lifting La Liga.. So I guess its not all about Trophies..

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by wabbylie(m): 10:21am On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: @op,its either your a clown or desperate in need of undue attention,well congrats cause you ve gotten one today.Mikel might no be an outstanding player but bad mouthing and hating on him won't do you and your entire family any good.This is a player that is serving the nation,wearing the green white green jersey just to represent his nation,its obvious you are such an ingrate cause this guy has been doing the nation proud,I'm sure you were happy when naija won the AFCON.Its such a shame the only thing you could come up with is to open a thread about him,tongue lashed him for doing what he knows how to do best.Mikel has created name for himself,why don't you in your idle time think of how to make name for yourself rather than hating on another man's way of life.Waiting for your reply......................
Nice one dude.You indeed hit the nail on the head.The efforts Mikel render to both national and club levels cannot be quantified.For God's sake,it can only takes a very adaptable player like Mikel,to be playing different roles at both levels.Abeg,let's cut the crab,Mikel Obi deserves the award more than anyone else.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by alllffy(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2014
[color=#000099]Well[b] I won't blame you because you are guilty of what you preach. Talking about tribalism please answer this basic questions,
1.which part of this country re you from
2. which club do you support
3. If Mikel is your brother/family will you write such
4. Did you follow the AFCON, imagine Nigeria without Mikel
5. Did you follow Chelsea matches, did you watch he's interceptions. Imagine Chelsea face the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich without Mikel in mid field
Please be logical before you post such.
And I just discovered that you 're not a sincere person in handling our own. This is new year work on it eehn[[/b][i][/i]/color] shocked cool sad[b][/b] shocked
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2014
chelseaguy:

Still a rumour my friend besides Matic is a Central Midfielder. I hope you know your football?
Mikel has been through a lot and challenges,bringing a new midfielder won't pose any threat towards him.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Rummenigge(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2014
What's this nonsense doing on FP? Some niggas jst come on here and start spewing rubbish!!! Bad belle people. How's Mikel a benchwarmer? Has this nigga been watching the back of TV? Mikel was a regular under Rafa when Chelsea won the Europa league lst season, he was also instrumental to the eagles side that won the Nations Cup; he even went ahead to did great exploits in the Confed cups. Mikel has stood the test of time in Chelsea, every coach at Chelsea always play him. Yeah, Yaya has been on fire since d begining of this season but you don't decide d winner of the CAF player of the year with that. I just hate it when all these kids who started watching football some few years ago come online and start spewing nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 03, 2014
Jaypee Anics: [color=#770077][/color]
Pls tell me........mikel plays 4 chelsea and in chelsea dey dnt hv a 1st team......wat of mata? Essen? Ramires? Lampard? Torres? Eto?......do dey get d starting shirt in chelsea 4 God sake mourinho does wat he knws best.......ehn....mourinho evn said dat mikel is his best defending midfielder ......abeg gv d crown to MIKEL OBI jho.

Whatchu saying Brova.. Mou says Mikel's his best defensive MF yet he doesn't start any of the games, he only uses him around 85mins.. There's no difference between Mikel of Chelsea and Diame of WestHam.. Slow | Sideways Passes | Not attack Minded..
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:24am On Jan 03, 2014
Look, we are all debating on the issue, because the winner hasn't been announced, Next week if they hand it to Mikel then fair enough theirs nothing we could do, but until then everyone has the right to say who they feel should win the award. But what I cant stand is the hypocrisy of some Nigerian here. When it was the Final 5 Nominees for the award, it was Yaya Toure vs Enyeama, Everyone gave their support for the Lille goalie, no one gave Mikel a prayer, but now that Enyeama dropped off the running Mikel became the best thing since slice bread. So are people supporting Mikel because he is the next Nigerian on the list? Because I bet most people here will be the same if it was Efe Sodje vs Yaya Toure

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Amara And Kanu Nwankwo Kiss In Fitness Photo / Neymar Scores Stunning Bicycle Kick Goal On Return From Injury (Photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo Drips Hard As He Arrives In Style To Boxing Match (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.