Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,893 members, 7,810,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48532 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by UcLloyd: 8:29am On Jan 03, 2014
Someone pls help me tell OP is called 2013 Best Player, not 1999-2014 Best Player. Having been told that, My brother, Mikel is most qualified. Toure is a world class player, no biggs, buh Mikel achieved more than him in 2013. Incase u don't know, sergio buskets of Barca is a better DM than Toure, buh his under-appreciated cuz of the kind of players barca's gat, so is the case of Mikel. Mikel is a good player, if u judge him as a Defensive Midfielder, if u don't want him 2 have that title, go ur villa and stay till the award is done n dusted nwokem!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Bonapart(m): 8:33am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
u'r an irritatin individual
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 8:34am On Jan 03, 2014
Bonapart: u'r an irritatin individual
.....nd u re an irritant.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 8:35am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: when Neymar and Ronaldinho won South American player of the year in 2012 and 2013 respectively, neither of them were better than Messi, Suarez, Aguero or Cavani in Europe. It is only in Africa that they give awards to overhyped under-achievers based on European club performance. That is why I call you, that ret@rd3d OP and all the other slaves who think Yeye Toure should be given an award because he's a 'beast' for Man Shiitty, SHAMELESS NIGGURS!
You get mouth joor !!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by busterr(m): 8:36am On Jan 03, 2014
What is this monkey saying?? Op you clearly don't watch football and who told you mikel is a bench warmer in europe? Before i tell you why mikel deserves to win the prestigious title, you have to convince me you do watch football.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by greatwaters: 8:40am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
Lets try something new, Mikel all the way!!!

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by oduaboy1: 8:41am On Jan 03, 2014
It's a big disgrace on African footbal if a benchwarmer and inconsequential player in Europe like mikel win's the african footballer of the year award.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Kx: 8:41am On Jan 03, 2014
Mikel is a defensive midfielder I know;
Yaya's performance speaks for itself but I beg everyone here to answer this question please:
Is yaya a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder both in city and ivory coast national team?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by paulavon: 8:41am On Jan 03, 2014

MY VIEW

What's your view?

It is sad how people like you use your hate for Chelsea to affect a player like Mikel,It is sad how Nigerians will want to pull down their own.when last has a Nigerian come closed to winning the award?
When Diouf won the award over Okocha how spectacular was he then?
Most of these players that won it recently how spectacular were they?
What has Ivory Coast won all these years that made Drogba and Yaya toure to win the award?
I wonder what is so special about yaya toure,this was a player who was benched at Barcelona by Busquet, before he was sold out.Mikel has always won the midfield from him whenever the meet.
Most of you who feel Mikel is not good enough,ask yourself how come he has played under 8 managers in Chelsea and all of them keep using him?
None of them loaned him or sold him,please stop the hate.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Gguy4real: 8:41am On Jan 03, 2014
I think this guy is a mad man you know get brain to think and I must confirm that you are not a good nigerian and you are a fool for that nigerian support mikel you this fool come here to support toure oloriburuku
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 8:41am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: when Neymar and Ronaldinho won South American player of the year in 2012 and 2013 respectively, neither of them were better than Messi, Suarez, Aguero or Cavani in Europe. It is only in Africa that they give awards to overhyped under-achievers based on European club performance. That is why I call you, that ret@rd3d OP and all the other slaves who think Yeye Toure should be given an award because he's a 'beast' for Man Shiitty, SHAMELESS NIGGURS!

Because the South American player of the year is for players playing in south America ONLY, get your facts right next time you spew rubbish and the last Copa America was in 2011 which was won by Uruguay but Neymar won the South American player of the year. They didnt say because Uruguay won the cup the player has to come from Uruguay
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by waaliano: 8:43am On Jan 03, 2014
See before you people will be talking or posting anything here try to tell yourself that am I expert enough to put this thread in this field? because posting this now most of the people has already believe that you are sport analyst or expert......... Now let me reply you the most criteria they use to give award is how many trophy or cup you win and what is your main contribution to this trophy as a player. But notice that any cup you win at the mouth of your main rivalry to the award is a very added advantage for you,this is what happen in the case of cannavaro and almighty Zidane then in Germany 2006 World Cup ,do you know that if france win the match and Zidane didn't collect red card he would have been the first player to win the world footballer award in four times because is that world cup only they used to give world footballer. The same thing to Ronandinho and Henry in champions final between arsenal and barca, Ronaldinho won the world footballer because he win Henry in final,Henry would have win if he win that final because champions is the major criteria they used that year. And the major trophy that combine all of them I mean all the contestants,organizer of the award is Nations Cup because they play it that year and it must be the major thing to use and that is the most competitive tournament they play and Nigeria won with Mikel play vital role. Now Mikel win nations cup just at the nose of his rival,not only that win europe. You are talking of bench why can't yaya toure remain in barcelona or go to bayern if they will not bench him. Is doing like a king their because Man City is a team that focus more on attacking player and not on midfield like barca,arsenal,bayern. If he goes to any of this team he will not get jersey like that. The fact is that chelsea team is very competitive and for Mikel to even getting chelsea jersey is a very good of him. Even all this toure you are talking about what did he win,anytime he came down to Africa to play what is his contribution to his country. My brother. I am not a Chelsea fan nor supporter but the fact remain that Mikel has the quality to be crown AFOY and those that nominated him knows more than you do just that you might not like the way he play doesn't matter .Yaya Toure is good,Drogba is good and Mikel is also good and anyone can be crown AFOY...

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by scholes23(m): 8:43am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: I

MY VIEW

What's your view?

U have a biased reasoning. During the 2010 world cup in South Africa, Messi did not even score a world cup goal and yet he won the fifa world footballer of the year. Sjneider play every every 4 dat world cup, made it to the finals, won d champions league, club world cup and serie A but they gave it to messi. Since I started watching world cup, I know that the world footballer is always from the team that wins world cup until they used politics to merge fifa award and ballon d or. Even if at all they didn't give it to sjneider @ least Iniesta or xavi deserved it. Won't be surprised if messi wins it again after all we saw it in sepp blatter's comparison with ronaldo. I just love as d guy reacted to d matter as a humble and matured senior man. Doing the talking on d pitch

So leave mikel alone abeg. He has done nothing to deserve ur bad mouthing. Bench warmer or bench heater he deserved the award after all during AFCON and he's doing his national duty diligently I know u were among those chanting OBI KE RE RE KE OBI and now ur saying thrash. SMH!!!!!
With all this thrash wey u don talk, na now I know say u dey watch ball 4 back of TV

#TEAMMIKEL
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by deo966(m): 8:43am On Jan 03, 2014
At OP, and if mikel was crowned wat will u do...I knw wot bothers u because d dude doesn't score,shey canavaro score b4 he was crowned...me no say u no b chelsea fans and even thou u r frm nigeria...u dnt lyk your nigerian player...haba...d dude tried naw...abeg
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by double53: 8:44am On Jan 03, 2014
grin
heykims:
Any player whose 1st team shirt is not assured is a bench warmer. Don't even go there for u need not disturb urself convincing anyone dt Mikel isn't a bench warmer in his club. In fact, a deserving winner of d CAF title should not even struggle at all to make a first team if really he is dt good to be conferred d feat. Anyway, tell us what he is if he isn't regular prospective 2nd half substitute in Chelsea FC. You may also tell us d position u will afford Mikel if u were to list d best players in Chelsea.
I honestly don't have anything against Mikel, but I believe d continent deserves better representation.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by 4reigningqueen: 8:44am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
.....nd u re an irritant.

HEYKIMS COMMITS SUICIDE !!!
That should be the headline on front page on the 10th of January after mikel might have won on the 9th.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 8:48am On Jan 03, 2014
chucky234: Emmanuel Amunike won the award not because he was impressive playing for FC Zamalek in Egypt but because he scored the two goals against Zambia that won the AFCON for Nigeria at Tunisia '94.
I'm not a fan of Mikel for his annoying back passes but the dude merit the award more than Toure this term,there is no doubt about that.
Mikel was instrumental in Chelsea winning the Europa League and played more games under Rafael Benitez, Yaya wasnt too impressive for City last season.

He was on the bench in the final, he wasn't instrumental for Chelsea winning the trophy!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by jomoh: 8:49am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
I have a different combination. In any national affair, I rep Nigeria before I rep Africa for d country deserves good representation in d continent. However, in any affair in which d whole continent is involved, I will consider myself first an African before being a Nigerian because d continent deserves a better representation in d global scene.

You putting Africa first shows you know little about patriotism which is the rational behind my combination. So I will make it simple for you to understand.

Am a human being before being a child to my parents(family), before being a citizen of my community, before my local government before my state, before my tribe(Yoruba) before my country (Nigeria), before west africa, before Africa.

You putting Africa first goes to show that you will defend the interest of Africa first before that of your immediate family.

That is what they call ROOT. When you talk about patriotism, you talk about defending the interest of where u come from "YOUR ROOT".

If after this you still maintain your stance then that justifies the last statement in my previous comment but this time around you can remove the last word and put in the first element in the "roots line" I created in the second paragraph of this comment.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Delorwah(m): 8:50am On Jan 03, 2014
If Mikel a bench warmer like u said cld make more appearance dan yaya last season, Mikel add 2 trophies to his cabinet and he was a vital entity in both competitions. Yaya was trophyless all thru 2013. Then it feels gud to be a bench warmer sumtymz. Seidu Keita was also a bench warmer@barcelona wen he won it. Stop hating bro. Leave d dude alone. Chai
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 8:51am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22: Diary of a typical mad Nigerian man

I have an award to give to the best person

............2 options

.............A..........B

............A has the edge and deserves it

............B lives in my house like a brother

Who gets the award

Man in mirror - Michael Jackson
God help Nigeria
Two boys are starving at d point of death and need just a plate of rice to survive.
One is Your blood brother who is very lazy and doesnt deserve d plate of rice

The Other is a very distant cousin
who works hard 24/7 and deserves every good thing in life.

You are told to give d plate of rice to just one out of the two to save a life.
Who would u give d food to ?.
Your blood brother or ur distant cousin ??

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

He was on the bench in the final, he wasn't instrumental for Chelsea winning the trophy!
If your talking about europa,he had injury during that time,get ur fact right.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by ufuosman(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2014
Yaya played very well bt mikel deserve it, nation cup nd european league, mikel did very well
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 8:57am On Jan 03, 2014
busterr: What is this monkey saying?? Op you clearly don't watch football and who told you mikel is a bench warmer in europe? Before i tell you why mikel deserves to win the prestigious title, you have to convince me you do watch football.

Did Mikel warm the bench during the Europa cup final? yes or no
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Datsme: 8:58am On Jan 03, 2014
please you should have let us kno hw mikel warm d bench in europe. As far I m concerned, mikel has made a great contribution towards every chelsea success right from his day one in d club n dt he s still doing. Yes he may not deserve d award but ur claim of little contribution towards d achievements of hs club is fallacious.
From ur write up, u v made us known dt u r nt a nigerian den no one can be more sentimental dan yu. Get dt right
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 9:00am On Jan 03, 2014
Kx: Mikel is a defensive midfielder I know;
Yaya's performance speaks for itself but I beg everyone here to answer this question please:
Is yaya a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder both in city and ivory coast national team?

Actually Yaya plays Attacking, Central, defensive midfielder and Centre half he plays all 4 roles for Ivory Coast
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Syenite(m): 9:02am On Jan 03, 2014
Nigerians are their own enemies. angry
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Moshoosa: 9:03am On Jan 03, 2014
It is obvious that the writer is been sentiment or an ignorant of football, if u can recall the said Yaya Touire was was represented in the last Nation cup and the same Mikel u re condemning silent him through out. More so,over the years MIKEL has been representing our country and doing well on his profession, just tell pple what has been your marginal contribution to this nation ? So if MIKEL pronounced as as 2013 African Football of the year go to hell '' OLOTEE ''
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Victorjoseph(m): 9:04am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Any player whose 1st team shirt is not assured is a bench warmer. Don't even go there for u need not disturb urself convincing anyone dt Mikel isn't a bench warmer in his club. In fact, a deserving winner of d CAF title should not even struggle at all to make a first team if really he is dt good to be conferred d feat. Anyway, tell us what he is if he isn't regular prospective 2nd half substitute in Chelsea FC. You may also tell us d position u will afford Mikel if u were to list d best players in Chelsea.
I honestly don't have anything against Mikel, but I believe d continent deserves better representation.
u ar absolutely ryt man...
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:04am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

WOW Talking about moving the goal post... so when Ikpeba and Kanu won it in 97 and 99 what did Nigeria do in Africa if you could remind us

And Mikel wasnt the outstanding player in South Africa
No goal-post is being moved.In
1997 and 1999,there was no AFCOn.There was also no national tournament,Unlike 2013.
Amunike won it in 1994.There was AFCOn and worldcup that year and he was superb.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Young4jose: 9:05am On Jan 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: My view is HOW DID THAT CHANGE THE PRICE OF GARRI FOR MARKET
. True talk my broda.........................!!!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 9:07am On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: If your talking about europa,he had injury during that time,get ur fact right.

He didnt have any injury, Rafa Benithez said Ramires has the speed to cope with Benfica's Namanja Matic in the midfield, it was John Terry and Hazard that were injured.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 9:07am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Actually Yaya plays Attacking, Central, defensive midfielder and Centre half he plays all 4 roles for Ivory Coast
he plays all 4 roles, and what has SUPERYAYA earned for CIV after running around the pitch like a dog in heat? Bros abeg start trekking to Ivory Coast already, you can build a shrine for your god in Abidjan.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger Flaunts His Abs On Beach In Dubai / "Neymar Insulted Me During Costa Rica Match" - Brazil's Thiago Silva / David Beckham insists Messi is level above Ronaldo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.