Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,925 members, 7,821,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? (1958 Views)

Are All Sins Equal In The Eyes of God? / Are All Sins Equal Before The Lord?? / All Sins Are Equal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 8:22pm On Aug 08, 2008
What are sins and are all sins equal? Are the punishment for "minor" sins exactly the same as for "major" sins?

Can the biblical sense of justice be applied to the ordinary judicial system of society?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2008
Chai!!! cheesy cheesy

We are all HUMANs everybody sins. I think that the way people have defined "sin" , makes "sin" extremely subjective hence, the various definitions and relativity.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 8:25pm On Aug 08, 2008
But what is "sin? " Having a clear and explicit definition would make this conversation a lot easier.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by olabowale(m): 8:42pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sins are punishable deeds. They are acts not pleasing to God: Hell fire is the altimate punishing place for sins.

In worship, what God forbids and will not permit, eg, not acknowledging Him as the Only Object of Worship. Those who associate anything with Him, eg, son, or holy ghost and those who worship physical idols or those who deny His existence or Lordship, are all guity of this.

In deeds: What God warns us against, eg illici sex, unjust killing, severing the blood ties, stealing, backbiting, undermining and taking undue advantage, including devowing the properties of others.

And the greatest sin is that of worship. God said that He will not forgive this sin, if a person were to die on it. However, God can forgive any other sins, if He wills.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by rubi(f): 8:47pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sin is that thing that seperates you from God
The bible say his ears are not heavy to listen
His hands are not shortened to save but sin has come between man and God
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 8:47pm On Aug 08, 2008
In worship, what God forbids and will not permit, eg, not acknowledging Him as the Only Object of Worship. Those who associate anything with Him, eg, son, or holy ghost and those who worship physical idols or those who deny His existence or Lordship, are all guity of this.

hmmmmm,

pls explain further in the context of the various religions that acknowledge the son and the holy ghost
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 8:48pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sin is that thing that seperates you from God

WHAT THING ?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by rubi(f): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2008
madamkoko:

WHAT THING ?

eg when one commits any kind of crime and you feel heavy inside you without any peace of mind that is the holy spirit telling you that you have sinned.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 9:00pm On Aug 08, 2008
without any peace of mind that is the holy spirit telling you that you have sinned.

hmmmmmm,

Who told you thats the "holyspirit? "  Is that what you were told/taught? How do you know ?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by ssRhino: 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sin is anything that could cut the direct line btw u and God.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by MissyB1(m): 9:06pm On Aug 08, 2008
In ma term
Sin is KNOWING what is wrong and DOING it.Where there is no law,there is no sin.For anything to be considered as sin,first you have to be aware its wrong and yet go ahead to do it.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sin is KNOWING what is wrong and DOING it.Where there is no law,there is no sin.For anything to be considered as sin,first you have to be aware its wrong and yet go ahead to do it.

The bolded part is very logical and to an extent right. But then the issue becomes: WHO DECIDES WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS WRONG?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 9:28pm On Aug 08, 2008
Sin is anything that could cut the direct line between u and God.

explain further.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by madamkoko: 9:29pm On Aug 08, 2008
I see a consistent definition of sin as a thing, anything? What thing? What anything ?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 4:06am On Aug 09, 2008
1 John 3: 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 4:24am On Aug 09, 2008
going by your laws, all sins cant be considered equal.for example, a man stole 5o tubers of yam, he was sentensed to 60 lashes and 1month in custody.anothe man stole billions of cash and spent some weeks in custody.but bibl says the soul that sins shall die
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 8:39am On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

1 John 3: 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

What law are you talking about? If I infringe a Yoruba tribal law, is that sin? C'mon, be more specific!
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2008
huxley:

What law are you talking about? If I infringe a Yoruba tribal law, is that sin? C'mon, be more specific!

What an idiot, was yoruba tribal law in existence when apostle John wrote his book?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by rampant(f): 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

What an idiot, was yoruba tribal law in existence when apostle John wrote his book?

LMAO grin wen i tell una say huxley don dey kolo,una think say rampant no know werrin she dey talk grin grin
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 10:20pm On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

Am prepare to hazard a guess that if the Yoruba people existed 2000 years ago, then they would have had tribal laws within their community. Or were the Yoruba just savages who did not have laws in their community and lived in utter anarchy? (Pardon me, I don't mean to insult Yoruba people)

You appear not to have got the drift of my question. Let me make really, really, r-e-a-l-l-y s-i-m-p-l-y f-o-r y-o-u t-o u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d.

Would sin be a transgression of the Roman laws, the Greek laws? Which laws upon transgression constitute sin?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2008
Or were the Yoruba just savages who did not have laws in their community and lived in utter anarchy? (Pardon me, I don't mean to insult Yoruba people)
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2008
huxley:

Am prepare to hazard a guess that if the Yoruba people existed 2000 years ago, then they would have had tribal laws within their community. Or were the Yoruba just savages who did not have laws in their community and lived in utter anarchy? (Pardon me, I don't mean to insult Yoruba people)

You appear not to have got the drift of my question. Let me make really, really, r-e-a-l-l-y s-i-m-p-l-y f-o-r y-o-u t-o u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d.

Would sin be a transgression of the Roman laws, the Greek laws? Which laws upon transgression constitute sin?

The first question a rational human would ask himself on reading John's statement would have been - WHAT LAW WAS HE REFERING TO?
Sadly the ability to think is not a part of the arsenal of your ilk.

Lets break it down for you - When John talks of "the law" he is primarily refering to the laws that govern the regenerated soul/the believer. 1 John 3 said nothing remotely close to refering to human laws. Breaking English law would not constitute a sin according to the bible EXCEPT the bible also says to obey constituted authority.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

The first question a rational human would ask himself on reading John's statement would have been - WHAT LAW WAS HE REFERING TO?

Lets break it down for you - When John talks of "the law" he is primarily refering to the laws that govern the regenerated soul/the believer. 1 John 3 said nothing remotely close to refering to human laws. Breaking English law would not constitute a sin according to the bible EXCEPT the bible also says to obey constituted authority.

Was that not the FIRST question I asked? Scroll up and take a look. This is it below and your accusation are groundless.

huxley:

Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 10:42pm On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

Where the deuce did you get that interpretation from? Are you just making things up as you go along, as is the wont of most christians. Here is 1 John 3; Can you show me how you derived that interpretation;

1 John 3

1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

4Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

12Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

13Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 09, 2008
In the eyes of God, a sin is a sin, there is no such thing as 'little sin', 'big sin' as we have here on earth, in the sense that a murderer will be looked down upon more than say a liar, to God, a sin is a sin
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 09, 2008
huxley:

Where the deuce did you get that interpretation from? Are you just making things up as you go along, as is the wont of most christians. Here is 1 John 3; Can you show me how you derived that interpretation;

thou ignorant and slow to understanding . . . i repeat that 1 John 3 was NOT refering to humanly constituted laws . . . now just a few verses to put your senility to rest . . .

huxley:

1 John 3
7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Now . . . righteousness unto WHAT was John talking about here? righteousness as regards Roman or Jewish customary laws?

huxley:

8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Why shld he that disobeys roman law be of the devil? Does that make sense? Did Christ come to die that we may be more able to obey yoruba tribal laws?

huxley:

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Whosoever is born of God will sometimes out of error go over the speed limit . . . is that a sin to keep such a one out of heaven?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2008
ibkaye:

In the eyes of God, a sin is a sin, there is no such thing as 'little sin', 'big sin' as we have here on earth, in the sense that a murderer will be looked down upon more than say a liar, to God, a sin is a sin

So god's systems of justice is inherently more cruel that human justice. Humans justice has a scale of crime and punishment, with crimes like murder, rape, child-abuse considered the most vile and punished severely by all civil legal systems. Other crimes like perjury, theft of small things etc are not as severely punished. Basically, in human jurisprudence, there's the concept of proportionality.

But this apears to be missing from god's system. On god's system Hitler would end up in the same place as someone who stole an apple. Is that justice and is this s just god?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by huxley(m): 11:07pm On Aug 09, 2008
davidylan:

thou ignorant and slow to understanding . . . i repeat that 1 John 3 was NOT refering to humanly constituted laws . . . now just a few verses to put your senility to rest . . .

Now . . . righteousness unto WHAT was John talking about here? righteousness as regards Roman or Jewish customary laws?

Why shld he that disobeys roman law be of the devil? Does that make sense? Did Christ come to die that we may be more able to obey yoruba tribal laws?

Whosoever is born of God will sometimes out of error go over the speed limit . . . is that a sin to keep such a one out of heaven?

Oh my goodness. What are these laws? Are they the 10 commandments, the golden-rule law, the hygiene laws, the cleanliness laws, the dietary laws, etc, etc.

Are there any laws about righteousness and how does one become righteous? Let's turn to Matthew 5 and listen to Jesus speak;

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20[b]For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven[/b].

What laws is Jesus referring to here? The scribes and the Pharisees were unbending sticklers for the Mosaic laws (you know things like Exodus 21: 17, the stoning for breaking the sabbath etc).

Was Jesus suggesting his followers become even more observant of the Old Testament laws than the Pharisees? Is this what righteousness is?
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 3:28am On Aug 10, 2008
huxley:

Oh my goodness. What are these laws? Are they the 10 commandments, the golden-rule law, the hygiene laws, the cleanliness laws, the dietary laws, etc, etc.

you're not the first to ask such a question . . .

huxley:

What laws is Jesus referring to here? The scribes and the Pharisees were unbending sticklers for the Mosaic laws (you know things like Exodus 21: 17, the stoning for breaking the sabbath etc).

Was Jesus suggesting his followers become even more observant of the Old Testament laws than the Pharisees? Is this what righteousness is?

Lets see how Christ Himself answered your 2000yr old question -
Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

chikena!
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by olabowale(m): 7:35pm On Aug 10, 2008
@Davidylan: While you are dealing with laws, a by the way matter if you ask me, please note that the thread is about sins and their degrees, if not all equal. I have also answered your challenge in the thread you boldly requested that I answer you first, before you present your Biblical definition of sin. I have given examples of each 2 major groups of sins.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2008
olabowale:

@Davidylan: While you are dealing with laws, a by the way matter if you ask me, please note that the thread is about sins and their degrees, if not all equal. I have also answered your challenge in the thread you boldly requested that I answer you first, before you present your Biblical definition of sin. I have given examples of each 2 major groups of sins.

i didnt ask for examples . . . i'm sure you're old enough to understand the difference.
I asked for the definition of sin - how does the quran EXPLICITLY define it, what makes someone a sinner? How can you overcome sin as a muslim? by what means is previous sins commited in ignorance removed?

Those are the questions . . . u hypocrites have been too busy giving spurious "examples" to hide your embarrasment.
Re: What Are Sins And Are All Sins Equal? by olabowale(m): 9:21pm On Aug 10, 2008
@Davidylan: Below is my responses. I defined sin. I gave ther types of sins. I also provide examples. I finally states that they are not equal. Now read and provide your own answer. How does Bible define it, the the rest of the informations.

@Davidylan: In worship; all worship is a sin, except what Allah permits. So when iblis refused prostration to Adam, that was a sin of Iblis. Whoever worships anything other than Allah is also a sinner. So your 3 godhead, trinity is obviously a sinful thing, since it is not a permissable thing. Those who refuse to acknowledge the presence and or the Lordship of God Almighty alone are also sinners. So the hindus, atheists, etc are just sinners like the Jews and Christians.

And in deeds and action; all deeds and actions are permissable, except what is forbidden. So unjust killing, sex outside prescribed marriage and in prescribed manners, severing ties of family relations, stealing and consumptions of goods in an illegal manner, etc, all are sins.

Now, David, its your turn. I am tired of your bruhaha. Ypu blow too much smoke, and no heat or fire.

And the greatest of all sins, in the sin of worship. Interestingly, it is what Iblis committed as a jinn/genie and it is the first sin immediately after Adam was created, prior to Eve's creation. I am giving you specifics. And Adam was created between Asr and magrib Salah timeon Friday! You have to match my information, otherwise you have produced nothing.

Defination: What God prohibits, or what He does not allow by His commandments and laws.

Sins are in two categories: Worship and deeds of actions.

In the case of worship: Worshipping any other without God being the exclusive Object of worship. And also not worshipping Him at all. Examples: Idol worshipping, Trinity, or obedience to others without direct authority from God and the atheist, etc also are among this group, because from their own deductions they cancel God out.

In the case of deeds and actions: Whatever that is commanded not to do is a sin. Examples are unjust killings, illegal sex act, illegal consumptions of properties belonging to someone else, including ophans, severing the relationship with the family/bloodlines.

I believe you can't claim that you did not see it now. I am sure you will tap dance your way through it. Watch David do his okey doke, everyone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Satan & His Demons Possess The Power To Read Minds Like God? / Did Noah Put Fish On His Ark? / Street Preaching In The Early Hours Of The Morning; A Nuisance Or A Necessity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.