Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution (19043 Views)

What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? / Design And Implementation Of A Web Based Student Academic Record Generating System. / A Application Have Standalone And Web Client (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2006
take a look at a Web Base Software Programme Live Help Chat Programm done using PHP/MySQL http://livehelp.stardevelop.com/features.htm Well WEB BASED SOFTWARE is the way FORWARD
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:24pm On Jun 26, 2006
oga, na true. web applications rule as long as you have the bandwidh to ignore the "little" nuances,

but guess what, down here in naija, you can pull up a Reuters terminal and look like an NIIT lecturer in front of a real CISCO router, it simply don't cut it with users and with Mgt, had to re-work to a desktop version of a web app simply because of bandwidth issues (thanks to our ISPs lying about "bandwidth on demand, dedicated-shared bandwidth,committed information rate and all the hogwash)

so in yankee, yes. hurrah for the thin client, down here, Fat is king.

methinks the environment matters, no use giving a pilot an F16 fighter at the bottom of the atlantic ocean
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 10:44pm On Jun 26, 2006
[FONT=COURIER][SIZE=10PT]
lagerwhenindoubt, I don't understand this your bandwidth issues with web application. Are we talking of private application dedicated to an organization or are we talking of public web application? Either one, can someone then tell us any public desktop application that mirrors the same issue with web apps?

Generally desktop apps are FAT client because of it nature of development, but these days you can get a very really thin client desktop apps.

But when a desktop begins to lose it ability of becoming FAT, it surrenders some of its routine to the server forming client/server architecture, which is what web apps are client/server. But web apps has gone even further i.e. two-tier, three-tier and n-tier architecture by using MVC.

lagerwhenindoubt, I don't see any correlation here between web app and bandwidth. Web apps could be deployed intranetly, extranetly, internetly and RCP/RMI. Either one the only ones that could cause bandwidth problem is the internet. It all depend on the location of the server. Mostly web apps are very thin client, so the processing is done at the powerful back end architecture. What is the size of HTTP/HTTPS header packets? If you ask me not enough to cause your bandwidth issues.

Remember that the backend architecture for n-tier is the best, every server on a single host i.e. database server on it host machine, web server on it host machine, application server on its host machine, email server on its own, authentication server on it own, etc.

When you send request to a webserver, all you are asking that host machine is a web page. If the content of the web page is that of a dynamic nature, it processes it and respond back with a result. Remember that HTTP is stateless protocol so the client is really not doing any job just sending request to a server.

Even if you are using a dial-up, the only time it makes difference is if the response carries a multimedia type i.e. uncompressed picture, flash, image and audio, even that MS has optimize it OS to store recent visited site, as in your history. So when you visit a web site MS store all the multimedia to make it easy for you to browse at a later time.

People should choose web app to desktop.  Desktop is good for games calculators and other really stand alone apps. Remember to code thread in any language is extremely complex. Web servers has got proven algorithm for handling multiple request in excess of 1000 at one second.

[/font][/size]
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 1:29am On Jun 28, 2006
he didn't really understand
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:46am On Jun 28, 2006
hmmmn. i use a web app say one that pulls up quotes and charts froma server
f'course the server does all the processing and serves me data, it is still a lot slower than when a friend in the US connects to the same server, that is my bandwidth issue, .

u're right, i was too tired to read through, just scanned a paragraph that caught my attention and made a comment.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 3:10am On Jun 28, 2006
Go get a nap
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 12:25pm On Jun 28, 2006

The IP packet header consists of 20 bytes of data. An option exists within the header that allows further optional bytes to be added, but this is not normally used, with the occasional exception of something called "Router Alert". The full header is shown below:

You see the http IP-based packet only weight 20bytes, and splits all the large messages into series of IP-based packet to the host destination. Remember that IT/ICT is Telecommunication. When you call someone from Nigeria to say America how long does it take you to hear that person say hello? Yet, the same technology is used to transmite voice-data. Voice data is even more larger than IP-based packets. That is why you must have a dedicated phone number, to open a dedicated connection to the other person.

Why do you think that IP-based telephone is cheaper? Because they use IP-based technology. Packets from one host is scattered all over the internet and miraculously assembles itself back at the destination host machine/device.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 12:39pm On Jun 28, 2006

So to send a request to another server even in Mars could not have take all your bandwidth, I know that distance plays important role in data/voice communication, the distance issues are been dealt with by the use of satellite high fiber optic cables buried in the sea and gigantic repeater as big as a car for attenuation problems.

Data communication is very fast and cheap these days, I know the case maybe different in Nigeria. Someone told me that Nigeria IT companies have start rolling out fibres and broadband and baseband service very soon in Nigeria bandwidth will be the story of this early millennium.

Even credit cards that was issued in America or UK, when using them in Nigeria it only takes few seconds for authorization and yet it uses data communication to connect to the central server.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 3:18pm On Jun 28, 2006
assuming they pay Microsoft the real money for using her OS.
That is a scandalous assumption that is far from reality.  Therefore your argument is shaky!

You would still have people using internet explorer ver 3.1 because they do not have money to buy a newer license for more that two PC, (CAL Client Access License)
Nigerians use the latest versions of MS Windows, MS Word (From MS Office XP), and Coreldraw.  These are not web-based, are they.  So their computers are powerful enough to run most Standalone software solutions. 

What they do not have is broadband for demanding web applications!
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2006

Seun, how much does a CAL for Window XP ofiice Pro for 20 users cost? Also, while at it how much does Volume License for Window XP Pro deployed on say 20 PC's cost?

Don't wast time to answer this question. Because as a network admin you should know. Please Niraland people when you visit any internet cafee, do me a favour and ask these questions to their network admin.

I will finish this post later
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Ka: 4:03pm On Jun 28, 2006
Seun,

Not all web applications need broadband - only those which request information from a server over the internet.

You can have a javascript web application, or one which accesses information from a local or network web server.

All,

I think there's some confusion between fat/thin clients and client-server/standalone applications.

My understanding is:

The fatness or thinness of the client depends on how much computation occurs on the client side. The fatter the client, the more computation occurs there.

Web applications are usually thin client (since they just usually display html), but these days the browser acts as a host for all sorts of strange plugins which run all manner of weird files, thus increasing the amount of computation that can be done on the client (and making it 'fatter').

Client-server applications are those which are divided into to two distinct parts - a client which requests information, and a server which delivers it. In contrast, a standalone application doesn't need to connect to a server for information - it has everything it needs. Some web applications are client server, but not all - see my response to Seun.

I admit that I'm not quite sure how to classify a client/server application which has the client and the server on the same computer. Maybe the term 'standalone' itself is a bit confusing. 'Desktop' is perhaps less ambiguous - that refers to applications that do not make any sort of remote call, irrespective of the location of the remote computer they are calling.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 7:33pm On Jun 28, 2006
A web-based application should be one that runs over the world wide web, which is built on the Internet.

PHP/MySQL applications running locally should be seen as applications using the web browser as a GUI. Same thing applies to javascript applications. Intranet apps in PHP are client-server applications using a browser as GUI.

Yes, the modern browser is a pretty good GUI if that's the question being asked, but it's not the most powerful. If I can reduce development time by using a more rudimentary but capable GUI, why not? But not for word processing!
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2006
@ Seun

Thank you o.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 9:34am On Jun 30, 2006

A web-based application should be one that runs over the world wide web, which is built on the Internet.

Your definition is flawed. Here is a definition from google search. In software engineering, a web application is an application delivered to users from a web server over a network such as the World Wide Web or an intranet. Web applications are popular due to the ubiquity of the web browser as a client, sometimes called a thin client. The ability to update and maintain web applications without distributing and installing software on potentially thousands of client computers is a key reason for their popularity [url=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+web+application&meta=]1[/url]

I have already said this and your concept of delivering web application over the world wide web was just one medium. Web application MUST not only be delivered over the web.

We can use:

1. Internet
2. Intranet
3. Extranet
4. SMS
5. WAP
6. JINI
7. ATM
8. P2P
9. CHAP
10. etc

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Ka: 5:47pm On Jun 30, 2006
I'm more aligned to Sbucareer's definition, which is that a web application is one which connects to a webserver. Even then, I'm wrong to include apps that run off javascript and Flash plugins as web apps - I was confusing web applications with browser based applications.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by IG: 2:33pm On Jul 04, 2006
Hey, guys, Maybe some of you have heard about things like diskless remote boot linux(DRBL) and Linux Terminal Server(LTS)
With them you can have thin clients regardless of wether your apps are web based or standalone.
You workstation don't even need a harddisk. You just boot into a server over a network.
But as you might have guessed, they are ideal within intranets only.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Panache(m): 10:25pm On Jul 19, 2006
Web based application is the way to go. Check out Saleforce.com and see what they are doing. For a country like our's to survive we need web based application. All we need to care about is a reliable ISP, instead of thinking about server security, backup, disaster recovery etc.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 1:47pm On Jul 20, 2006
well if we really wanna have Web Based software, ISP shouldn't be the major problem.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by IG: 5:37pm On Jun 10, 2007
Alright, Alright, I think all these views are biased towards what we prefer (web based or standalone) but the truth is that web based apps have their place in the IT universe and will NEVER replace standalone apps. smiley

You see the web based apps need standalone apps to run.
For example before you run a typical web based app, you need a browser which is a standalone app.
Your PHP interpreter is stand alone
Your web server is stand alone
Your application server is stand alone
Your compilers are stand alone.
The list goes on and on grin

The truth is that web based apps cannot exist without stand alone apps.

I think all through the argument we have been thinking mostly in terms of enterprise applications.
I still cannot imagine how one can create say a video editing software or a compiler as a web based application.

By the way, web based technologies come and go very fast. Remember Java applets and ASP ?

So guys let's accept it, web based apps are cool but they can not replace standalone apps. cry
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by babasin(m): 9:29am On Jun 11, 2007
web based or standalone;

it all depends on design and capturing your requirements.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2007
If your software runs locally and uses a browser, it makes more sense to call it 'browser-based'. I'm determined to make my next application browser-based, but it could be standalone (not web based).
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by jinworm: 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2007
you people wth this your IT stuffs. talkn about web based,stand alone or sit all shit of a thing.
atleast somebody need to tell us what these IT terminologies are all about,for the sake of those that
are behind technology
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Cactus(m): 12:45am On Aug 01, 2007
yea yea yea obviously web apps are predominant now across all industries. Well what happened when there was an earthquake in asia recently, with underwater cables breaking and taking weeks to repair. Connections to and from china and other asian countries were extremely limited.

If you are entirely dependent on web based application. well it is always adviceable to have a backup plans when something like this happens, datacenter fires, robbery, natural disasters etc that can be damaging to a business. well non-web based applications also have their faults but have less factors to take into consideration before deployment

everything is risk.

I wish the IT industry can be somewhat stable. everyday new things come out it is crazy. though great for development it is really overwhelming. I spend more time looking for the best implementations possible and less time with design.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Ghenghis(m): 2:02pm On Aug 01, 2007
Guys!
Lets get our nomenclature straight ,

A stand-alone app is one that literally "Stands on it own", meaning no networking, no communications whatsoever with any other system.
IT would typically have a local DB, application executables etc. (All running on a single machine)
It is also essentially a single user system, it can be multi-threaded can have only one multi-threaded client.

A fat client is looks like a stand-alone but it connects to a server sitting somewhere else, meaning, bulk of application logic, persistence info etc. resides somewhere else on the network. The main advantage of fat clients is the rich user experience. But like Some guys have noted its hellious to maintain across large enterprises(though not impossible)

There's also something in between stand-alones and fat clients called Smart Clients.
It behaves like a fat client when a network connection is available , when the connection breaks or something ,
it behaves like a standalone.
This means it not only has to have reasonable intelligence, but it must retain data i.e store/replicate data locally ,

Some of issues to look out for when deciding on application architecture are :
1) Would u(the application deployer) have access to the users machine to install stuff ? (this is not always possible due to geographic location, service-consumer relationship etc.)
2) How often would application logic (Business requirements) change ? ( in todays world, Any viably running business always has it business requirements changing at the speed of , . Imagine if you have to go round installing stuff every-time the marketing guys found a new business initiative)
3)Skills , Are there developers and architects at AFFORDABLE prices to wield technologies like smart clients
4)Hardware infrastructure
5)Security (Standalone is the safest, Sitting at home behind locked doors is also safe ,but how come Lagos roads are always filled with traffic ? To do any thing reasonably worthwhile security must be compromised! )

I guess my personal bias, is shown in some of my comments , grin
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by mindworx: 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2007
Well, i've learnt a lot from ya'll guys, but i think choice of web-based application or desktop-application depends on the requirement specification given by ur client. You get to understand the basics he wants (though not all clients know what they want, but u analyse it and develop what the SDLC will be). I don't condemn either. I've participated in intranets applications dat use internet as a connectivity medium, just like we all do net meetings, online conferencing e.t.c. and the only factor still remains how well my bandwith is. When u say intranet applications, it's not necessarily a desktop application (i mean form-based), it could be a browser-based app. The only inteface dat i know is getting outfashioned is form-based apps, i can only leave it for high-end applets e.g ones used in aero-space operations, embedded sytems interfacing e.t.c, So in my own opinion, it all depends on the requirements specifications.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by simplyme3(f): 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2007
even in GIS/Mapping - try www.ceaser-web.com
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2007
I have a question: if you have broadband, is the speed of Internet access as fast as accessing a LAN?
Because as a modem user, I have found myself assuming that web access is slow, which makes me want to make my browser-based program downloadable, but that won't be necessary if broadband is as fast as LAN access.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by simplyme3(f): 3:25pm On Aug 02, 2007
Oga Seun

Dat is a concommitant fact.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2007
Seun:

I have a question: if you have broadband, is the speed of Internet access as fast as accessing a LAN?
Because as a modem user, I have found myself assuming that web access is slow, which makes me want to make my browser-based program downloadable, but that won't be necessary if broadband is as fast as LAN access.

@Seun: what we know here as broadband is not (really) broadband. The best you can get from any ISP in Nigeria, as a home/office user, is 512Kbps. That will never compare with a 10/100Mbps LAN connection, or the internet connection in places like Schlum (God knows who connects them - i've achieved up to 15Mbps on the internet there). In more developed countries, it is common to find home users with DSL connections of 1Mbps and more. I think it depends on where the person is (geographically) and how expensive broadband is in that location. I suggest you cater to the two categories of internet users.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by BlkRaven(f): 10:16pm On Aug 02, 2007
Seun:

Broadband is not as fast as access on a LAN (except for that Swedish grandmother who has a 40Gb/s connection!). In the UK, I believe one can get speeds of up to 8Mbps (don't know anyone who actually achieves 8Mbps though). On average, I get 1Mbps at home. On my office network, I get 100Mbps. I used to use dialup to access a web application on the office network and it was very slow. I now use broadband to connect to the same application and it does not take very long to load.

With regards to web access, I don't really notice much difference except when I'm downloading or uploading files.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2007
Hmm. Blkraven, Does it feel like a LAN when you're doing light browsing e.g. searching google, checking gmail?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Seun(m): 6:34pm On Aug 04, 2007
Great essay on the advantages of server-based software: http://www.paulgraham.com/road.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Simple Code Challenge: C#, Java, C, C++ / Nigerian Ethical Hackers In Here ---> / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.