Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? (13528 Views)

Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? / In What Name Should a Christian Be Baptized? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 7:07am On Aug 12, 2008
Must you be baptized in a river/stream/ocean/lake/lagoon? What if your head is dipped in a swim pool or a bowl of water, wouldn't that suffice for a river?
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 7:08am On Aug 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008 Printer Friendly Version

[size=14pt]Pastor drowns during baptism [/size]

By Kunle Adeyemi

An evangelical church with the headquarters in Ogudu, Lagos State, has been thrown into mourning following an alleged drowning of one of its pastors.

The pastor, identified as Emmanuel Olayiwola, reportedly went to a river to baptise a new convert at about 8am on Saturday when the incident happened.

He was said to be in company with a co-pastor, Abraham Sani to baptise one Anita Osakwe, a female adherent.

The incident happened at a place known as “Sand Field Ori Oke” in Ogudu area of the state.

During the baptism, Pastor Olayiwola was said to have moved to a portion of the river where the tide was high.

In the process, he reportedly fell into the water and before he could stand up and gain his balance again, the current had allegedly swept him away.

The co-pastor and the new convert who could do nothing to save the life of Olayiwola, went back home and reported the incident to some church elders.

A delegate from the church later reported the incident to the police at Ogudu.

Our correspondent learnt that while the church hired some local divers to search for the pastor, the police also involved its marine unit in the search.

After hours of search, the corpse of the pastor was later found and brought out of the water.

Investigation by our correspondent on Sunday showed that the police may have suspected some foul play in the events leading to the drowning of Olayiwola.

At the time of this report, the police were still interrogating the co-pastor and the female convert who were at the scene of the incident.

A police source told our correspondent that since the pastor was dead, it was difficult to ascertain what actually killed him.

Spokesman for the Lagos State Police Comand, Mr. Frank Mba, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on Sunday. He added that the two suspects were still being held by the police.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/11/427.html
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by SeanT21(f): 9:30am On Aug 12, 2008
You do not have too. It doesnt state in the bIBLE!!
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by Carlosein(m): 9:43am On Aug 12, 2008
some say you do, others say you don't.

but i think the bible clearly states "baptised of water", not "river water, pool water, lake water etc"

hence the practise of some churches sprinkling "water". others insist on immersion and it is not wrong (i think). but if immersion will mean my drowning abeg o!
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by Gamine(f): 10:27am On Aug 12, 2008
Pity eh
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by PastorAIO: 10:45am On Aug 12, 2008
Are we sure there were no olokun worshippers involved in this saga?
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by AKO1(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2008
I think that baptism requires a complete immersion in water. NOT NECESSARILY a river but in any body of water that will completely 'drown' the person. Why?

1. I usually like to check the Hebrew/Greek literal translation for controversial words like this because honestly, our English translators did not do an excellent job. The Greek word for baptize is 'baptizo'' and it literarilly means "to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism:--Baptist, baptize, wash".

2. If Baptism did not require complete immersion, why would John have to go all the way to River Jordan just to sprinkle water on their foreheads? It makes a lot more sense to fetch water from the river and do the sprinkling on dry land, rather than getting the people all wet and cold.

Concerning drowning, it is better to stay in the shallow end.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by powderPink(f): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2008
dudu-bobo:

@Sean T
I have read a few of your posts.
What do you call yourself on http://www.stormfront.org/forum/?
I am sure you're an active member there

very interesting.
SeanT wow so u are a white supremacist lmao very interesting then you come here to pose as black and demean the black race with all your subtle hints. Blacks are more prone to crime etc lmaos. not surprised its part of your movement aright?

just read your past posts , i can see it now. room beware of white supremacist posing as one of us to promte white and rub black race into the ground. watch what u say, if we did not put our own down amongst ourselves, ppl like SEANT21 will not be able to mix in and help further damage our race. ONE IN UNITY BLACK PEOPLE!
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2008
I think that baptism requires a complete immersion in water. NOT NECESSARILY a river but in any body of water that will completely 'drown' the person. Why?

1. I usually like to check the Hebrew/Greek literal translation for controversial words like this because honestly, our English translators did not do an excellent job. The Greek word for baptize is 'baptizo'' and it literarilly means "to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism:--Baptist, baptize, wash".

2. If Baptism did not require complete immersion, why would John have to go all the way to River Jordan just to sprinkle water on their foreheads? It makes a lot more sense to fetch water from the river and do the sprinkling on dry land, rather than getting the people all wet and cold.

Concerning drowning, it is better to stay in the shallow end.

What if you live in a desert, how will you be conducting baptism?
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by ifyalways(f): 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
Does it matter
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by AKO1(m): 6:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
DeepZone:

What if you live in a desert, how will you be conducting baptism?

That doesn't change what the bible says, does it?

How can a person who is deaf and dumb make "confession unto salvation"?

If you were God, how would you handle these extreme cases?

In the days of ignorance, God winked. wink
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by Queenisha: 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2008
My church has a heated pool right there in the altar.
Even a bath tub will do

I was baptized in Naija though.
In a lake
The most important thing is that one is immersed and baptized in the name of the Father, son and Holy Ghost
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by tpia: 7:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
well, I hope other pastors will learn from this.

If you must baptize in a river, then either learn how to swim, or try to stay out of deep currents. Or both.

People can be baptized in the shallow part, close to the bank.

Quite sad.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 7:16pm On Aug 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Monday, August 11, 2008 Printer Friendly Version

[size=14pt]Pastor drowns during baptism [/size]

By Kunle Adeyemi

An evangelical church with the headquarters in Ogudu, Lagos State, has been thrown into mourning following an alleged drowning of one of its pastors.

The pastor, identified as Emmanuel Olayiwola, reportedly went to a river to baptise a new convert at about 8am on Saturday when the incident happened.

He was said to be in company with a co-pastor, Abraham Sani to baptise one Anita Osakwe, a female adherent.

The incident happened at a place known as “Sand Field Ori Oke” in Ogudu area of the state.

During the baptism, Pastor Olayiwola was said to have moved to a portion of the river where the tide was high.

In the process, he reportedly fell into the water and before he could stand up and gain his balance again, the current had allegedly swept him away.

The co-pastor and the new convert who could do nothing to save the life of Olayiwola, went back home and reported the incident to some church elders.

A delegate from the church later reported the incident to the police at Ogudu.

Our correspondent learnt that while the church hired some local divers to search for the pastor, the police also involved its marine unit in the search.

After hours of search, the corpse of the pastor was later found and brought out of the water.

Investigation by our correspondent on Sunday showed that the police may have suspected some foul play in the events leading to the drowning of Olayiwola.

At the time of this report, the police were still interrogating the co-pastor and the female convert who were at the scene of the incident.

A police source told our correspondent that since the pastor was dead, it was difficult to ascertain what actually killed him.

Spokesman for the Lagos State Police Comand, Mr. Frank Mba, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on Sunday. He added that the two suspects were still being held by the police.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/11/427.html

My god, my god, you have really, really forsaken me. Did the sky open with shouts of "You are my beloved son. Come home and I shall give you rest?"
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 8:34pm On Aug 12, 2008
Any baptism not performed in the river Jordan is worthless.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 9:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
Any baptism not performed in the river Jordan is worthless.
So all of us should look for a visa and air ticket to Jordan just to have a worthy baptism?. The reason I opened this thread is because I've heard a preacher told me the same thing and how Roman catholics sprinkle water on your head when John de baptist instructed us to do it in the river. He argued that John would have sprinkled water on Jesus' head instead he chose to take him to river Jordan like he did to others.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by rampant(f): 9:49pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

My god, my god, you have really, really forsaken me.  Did the sky open with shouts of "You are my beloved son.  Come home and I shall give you rest?"

keep quiet and let the sensible ones reply
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 10:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
rampant:

keep quiet and let the sensible ones reply

Where are they. Do you consider yourself one? Then say something reasonable.

Why would god kill his pastor or allow his pastor to die in so horrible a manner? Does this show the benevolent nature of god? For godness sake, these people where gathered in his name - where the hell was he? Somewhere drinking wine?

Nothing fails like worshiping god!
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by rampant(f): 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

Where are they.  Do you consider yourself one? Then say something reasonable.

Why would god kill  his pastor or allow his pastor to die in so horrible a manner?    Does this show the benevolent nature of god?  For godness sake,  these people where gathered in his name - where the hell was he?  Somewhere drinking wine?

shut up jooooo,see ur mouth like they were gathered in his name,where is d proof that they were really calling God,or is it everybody dat calls his name,calls it from the heart?pple claim to gather in GodS name,while they r not,so egbe enue dake
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2008
rampant:

shut up jooooo,see your mouth like they were gathered in his name,where is d proof that they were really calling God,or is it everybody that calls his name,calls it from the heart?people claim to gather in GodS name,while they r not,so egbe enue dake

So there is a very strong possibility that although you have been worshiping and praying and singing praises to god, you could still not be god's own? He could just be ignoring you as you may not be doing so the right way or the honest way?

In that case, how does now know they are well and truly on god's good side?
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by rampant(f): 10:22pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

So there is a very strong possibility that although you have been worshiping and praying and singing praises to god,  you could still not be god's own?  He could just be ignoring you as you may not be doing so the right way or the honest way?

In that case, how does now know they are well and truly on god's good side?

nobody knows the heart of a man,i dont know wat is in ur heart,same way u dont know wats in mine

u can never knw them dat r on Gods good side,he alone knows
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 10:26pm On Aug 12, 2008
rampant:

nobody knows the heart of a man,i don't know what is in your heart,same way u don't know wats in mine

u can never knw them that r on Gods good side,he alone knows

What sort of circular reasoning is this? You just implied that these people are probably not on god's side. Now you say one cannot know who is on god's side.

Are you on god's side? You should know, since you know your mind.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by rampant(f): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

What sort of circular reasoning is this? You just implied that these people are probably not on god's side.  Now you say one cannot know who is on god's side. 

Are you on god's side?  You should know, since you know your mind.

d fact is that when eva  u read u read wt your senses blocked,i did not say the people in the river were not on Gods side

i actually quoted u,where u said "they were gathered in his name"  and i was making u understand that its not everybody that calls his name calls it genuinely,so read well

i know wats on my mind like i said,but i don't know wats on others,they alone know if they r on Gods side,i don't
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by huxley(m): 10:38pm On Aug 12, 2008
rampant:

d fact is that when eva u read u read wt your senses blocked,i did not say the people in the river were not on Gods side

i actually quoted u,where u said "they were gathered in his name" and i was making u understand that its not everybody that calls his name calls it genuinely,so read well

i know wats on my mind like i said,but i don't know wats on others,they alone know if they r on Gods side,i don't
Well, I did not say you said they were not on god's side. I said you implied. Big difference. It is an inference from you comment that "not everyone that calls his name is on his side".

I did ask you, "Are you on god's side?"
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by rampant(f): 10:39pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

Well, I did not say you said they were not on god's side.  I said you implied.  Big difference. It is an inference from you comment that "not everyone that calls his name is on his side".

I did ask you, "Are you on god's side?"

y r u asking?tell me
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by idupaul: 10:41pm On Aug 12, 2008
any thing water can baptize, even well
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 10:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
Where are they. Do you consider yourself one? Then say something reasonable.

Why would god kill his pastor or allow his pastor to die in so horrible a manner?
Does this show the benevolent nature of god? For godness sake, these people where gathered in his name - where the hell was he? Somewhere drinking wine?

Which one works? Atheism?
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by AloyEmeka9: 11:25pm On Aug 12, 2008
Even urine can serve as baptism liquid. Kegites use palm wine to do their thing, Why this pastor waka enter atlantic ocean now? Was he expecting the white dove that landed on Jesus' head during baptism? May his soul rest with the lord.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by PastorAIO: 2:47am On Aug 13, 2008
Maybe they were not baptising but rather making an offering to Olokun. Who knows?
And maybe olokun was not satisfied and decided he wanted to take a whole human being instead.

Perhaps it is not advisable to get baptised in Nigerian rivers because they are all traditional deities. River niger is Oya the amazonian warrior. Which river is not one orisha or the other. River Oshun? River Obba? River Yemoo? River Yemoja Oogun? Oluweri (for small rivers and brooks), Olokun for atlantic ocean, Olosa for Lagoon.

In short if you are wary of nigerian religious tradition then do the smart thing. Stop washing!!
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by DeepZone: 3:59am On Aug 13, 2008
Maybe they were not baptising but rather making an offering to Olokun. Who knows?
And maybe olokun was not satisfied and decided he wanted to take a whole human being instead.

Perhaps it is not advisable to get baptised in Nigerian rivers because they are all traditional deities. River niger is Oya the amazonian warrior. Which river is not one orisha or the other. River Oshun? River Obba? River Yemoo? River Yemoja Oogun? Oluweri (for small rivers and brooks), Olokun for atlantic ocean, Olosa for Lagoon.

In short if you are wary of nigerian religious tradition then do the smart thing. Stop washing!!

Christians shouldn't be scared of those little gods because every knee bows at the sound of Jesus' name.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by PastorAIO: 10:48am On Aug 13, 2008
DeepZone:

Christians shouldn't be scared of those little gods because every knee bows at the sound of Jesus' name.

Tell that to the witch hunters and the pastors obsessed with demons and generational curses and what nots.
Re: Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? by Gamine(f): 11:04am On Aug 13, 2008
I was baptized in a swimming pool

Fully immersed.

River ko! what will happen to those who live in Desert areas

they no go reash heaven?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are You Hearing In Your Local Church, Life Or Death? - Olamide Obire / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians / Pope Francis Condemns Bombing Of Kano Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.