Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? (3699 Views)

Poll: Who do you want to occupy the Leadership of This 'Religion | Islam for Muslims' Page

Mustay (male): 40% (10 votes)
Mukina2 (female): 20% (5 votes)
Both of them: 40% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Why Are Women Not Fit To Be Leaders? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Virgo83(m): 5:36am On Aug 16, 2008
When it is written in the Hadith that People who accept a woman to be a ruler of their affairs will not prosper? [Bukhari]

See Also : http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/warticles/women_and_political_leadership_i.htm

Hello My Brothers/Sisters,
I'll like to hear your views on this, Strongly with Quranic and Hadith Proof, 'Quotations'.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Virgo83(m): 5:43am On Aug 16, 2008
Hello My Dear Moderators,
This is nothing but the Truth.
mukina2, Me seems you occupy the Leadership in moderating of this page, If my assumption is true I strongly recommended Mustay to take the Leadership and you assist Him.
So you must not be the first to comment concerning any issue on this 'RELIGION/ISLAM FOR MUSLIM' Page, Unless on the Permission and Authorization by Mustay, and if you're the first to comment you must indicate, Authorized, As a Signature to identify Mustay's Authority.

Islamic Ethics and Guidance must be respected and obeyed.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by olabowale(m): 11:55am On Aug 16, 2008
@Virgo 83: Salaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah.

My brother, even though Mukina2 and I have a daughter/father relationship, I am making the following observation to you in the light of Qur'an and Sunnah. Considering that Sunnah is an expression of Qur'an, you and I will not disagree about it, therefore how do you see the view of the relationship of Khadijatu Qubra, and her husband, Anabiullah Muhammad ibn Abdallah (as), in the business of Khadijah? Who was the boss, between the two?

Further, would it not be discriminatory based on gender, which Allah had eradicated by Islam, given both genders equal religious responsibilities, a condition that is even more important than the subject of public affairs and governance, that is uder it? You will agree that it is your salah that will be examined, prior to other things, in the day of judgement. Is the salah of men more valuable than that of women?

Consider, further that Allah command everyone to reach his/her greatest potential, how therefore do you wanna relegate a woman who has a great potential with a lukewarm position? Is that what Islam teaches?

Now consider that Seun, the owner of nairaland is a disbeliever, but he is the boss, what do you think of his overall position over you, a believer? Will you now legislate that Seun who buid his business from the knowledge and every human power and enerny that Allah bestow on him as a means of his livelihood should now leave the helm for a muslim?

My brother, if Seun made his decision, you have to deal with it. This is the reality of life, as long as you are on nairaland, Seun rules. His rule is comparatively absolute over you and I on his nairaland. If he desires, which is obvious to have Mukina2 as the overseer of all the religious, and other sections, the Islamic section is without saying, therefore will have to follow his decision.

Please note that in every condition in Islam, there are some exceptional circumstances that can posibly change what you think the norm is.

For example, pork, alcohol is forbidding in normal setting. However, if it is the only way to preserve life, this commandment will be subjugated to preservation of life. A person can even deny his faith if he fears death, in as long as the earth does not deny it, while the mere denial is from the tongue.

In a condition in Madina a muslim woman lead the protection of a group of children and extremely old and frail people, against the enemies. We will see that Muslim women were even teachers of Hadith for example. They actually taught Qur'an as well to males who had no knowledge of either, while these women were alima., knowledgeable people.

My example is Aisha (ra), the wife of the prophet (AS).
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Frizy(m): 12:51pm On Aug 16, 2008
@poster
Have you not heard a woman heading some Muslims in a Jihad against the kafrs? Or was Queen Sheba not in power even after she submitted to Islam?.
I will check your facts, but this sounds "Saudi Salafi inclined" to me. undecided

I think the question we should ask is, is she doing her job well?
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Queenisha: 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2008
Virgo83:

Hello My Dear Moderators,
This is nothing but the Truth.
mukina2, Me seems you occupy the Leadership in moderating of this page, If my assumption is true I strongly recommended Mustay to take the Leadership and you assist Him.
So you must not be the first to comment concerning any issue on this 'RELIGION/ISLAM FOR MUSLIM' Page, Unless on the Permission and Authorization by Mustay, and if you're the first to comment you must indicate, Authorized, As a Signature to identify Mustay's Authority.

Islamic Ethics and Guidance must be respected and obeyed.

Sexism of the highest order.
Nairaland is a secular forum my friend.
Don't carry your female 3rd class mentality in here.
If people like you had their way,she'll be wearing a burqua and locked up behind a wooden gate.

olabowale:

, therefore how do you see the view of the relationship of Khadijatu Qubra, and her husband, Anabiullah Muhammad ibn Abdallah (as), in the business of Khadijah? Who was the boss, between the two?

well she was the owner of the business and he was a mere errand boy aka boiboi
did you expect her to hand over a business she built with her sweat over to a caravan driver who had no clue how the business started just because he became her husband ?
Your example here doesn't jive honey
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by ayinba1(f): 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2008
@Queenisha

Read again, pls
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Aug 16, 2008
Frizy:

@poster
Have you not heard a woman heading some Muslims in a Jihad against the kafrs? Or was Queen Sheba not in power even after she submitted to Islam?.
I will check your facts, but this sounds "Saudi Salafi inclined" to me. undecided

Queen of sheba submitted to islam? Someone must be reading from some mythical history book or just outright lying.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by mukina2: 11:39pm On Aug 16, 2008
[b]Chapter 4, Verse 124.
" And whoever does righteous good deeds, male or female, and is a true believer in the Oneness of Allah (Muslim), such will enter Paradise and not the least injustice, even to the size of a Naqira (speck on the back of a date-stone), will be done to them.

Chapter 33, Verse 35
"Verily, the Muslims (those who submit to Allah in Islam) men and women, the believers men and women (who believe in Islamic Monotheism), the men and the women who are obedient (to Allah), the men and women who are truthful (in their speech and deeds), the men and the women who are patient (in performing all the duties which Allah has ordered and in abstaining from all that Allah has forbidden), the men and the women who are humble (before their Lord Allah), the men and the women who give Sadaqat (i.e. Zakat, and alms, etc.), the men and the women who observe Saum
(fast) (the obligatory fasting during the month of Ramadan, and the optional Nawafil fasting), the men and the women who guard their chastity (from illegal sexual acts) and the men and the women who remember Allah much with their hearts and tongues (while sitting, standing, lying, etc. for more than 300 times extra over the remembrance of Allah during the five compulsory congregational prayers) or praying extra additional Nawafil prayers of night in the last part of night, etc.) Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).
[/b]

There are other verses you know . . . .   lots of them sef

In other words,i am simply trying to let you know that  Islam accepts that all human beings are equal, and should be dealt with according to the principle of equality.

In the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah it was repeated over and over again that Allah favours one over another  based on that person's awareness, consciousness, fear, love. All other criteria are excluded: gender, ethnic group, country, ancestry, etc.

I am a human being as you are and i do not think my gender affects my judgement. I do not wished to be judged according to my  gender .
I do not have to a second class citizen jsut because i am female . .

I think as muslims we should stop interpreting Sharia wrongly.

if we do not know certain things, its better we ask, than  assume.

Female LeadersThere are many more contemporary examples of women leading Muslim-majority countries. Remarkably, a majority of all Muslims in the world live in countries that have, at some time, elected women as their leaders.[3] Indeed, four of the five most populous Muslim-majority countries have had women as leaders:

* Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president
    * Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister
    * Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers
    * Turkey, the fifth most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Tansu Çiller as prime minister

ma salaam cool
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by subzeeero(m): 12:22am On Aug 17, 2008
Men and women are equal in islam but with different roles to play in the society. The roles assigned to each sex automatically fits it because it was prescribed by their Creator.

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other…” [al-Nisa’ 4:34].

It is also clearly indicated by the hadeeth of Abu Bakrah who said that when the Prophet SAW?S (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) heard that the Persians had appointed the daughter of Chosroes as their queen, he said, “No people who appoint a woman as their leader will ever prosper.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 13/53).

This is a very sensitive issue as the world is now filled with the belief that women should do everything while the role of women in the society has been clearly explained in the qur'an and sunnah of the prophet (SAW). This is nothing but the plot of the unbelievers and they have succeded to some degree considering the behaviour of some of our women.

There is no dispute among the scholars that one of the conditions of the imaam or leader is that he should be male, therefore i urge my brothers and sisters to stop debating on this issue due to its clear and sensitive nature.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Queenisha: 12:25am On Aug 17, 2008
subzeeero:

Men and women are equal in islam but with different roles to play in the society. The roles assigned to each sex automatically fits it because it was prescribed by their Creator.

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other…” [al-Nisa’ 4:34].

It is also clearly indicated by the hadeeth of Abu Bakrah who said that when the Prophet SAW?S (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) heard that the Persians had appointed the daughter of Chosroes as their queen, he said, “No people who appoint a woman as their leader will ever prosper.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 13/53).

This is a very sensitive issue as the world is now filled with the belief that women should do everything while the role of women in the society has been clearly explained in the qur'an and sunnah of the prophet (SAW). This is nothing but the plot of the unbelievers and they have succeded to some degree considering the behaviour of some of our women.

There is no dispute among the scholars that one of the conditions of the imaam or leader is that he should be male, therefore i urge my brothers and sisters to stop debating on this issue due to its clear and sensitive nature.

speaking from both sides of the mouth.
You forgot that women are also said to be deficient in intelligence and most in hell fire are women.
if not why would the tesimony of 2 women be equal to that of one man?
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Queenisha: 12:31am On Aug 17, 2008
mukina2:

[b][color=#006600]Chapter 4, Verse 124.
"
    * Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president
    * Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister
    * Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers
    * Turkey, the fifth most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Tansu Çiller as prime minister

ma salaam cool

Very noble achievements.
Sadly not everyone is happy about that.

A Pakistani minister and woman’s activist has been shot dead by an Islamic extremist for refusing to wear the veil.

Zilla Huma Usman, the minister for social welfare in Punjab province and an ally of President Pervez Musharraf, was killed as she was about to deliver a speech to dozens of party activists, by a “fanatic”, who believed that she was dressed inappropriately and that women should not be involved in politics, officials said [/b]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article1414137.ece
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 17, 2008
mukina2:

We all know what happened to her after.

mukina2:

turkey regards itself as a secular European nation.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Frizy(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2008
davidylan:

Queen of sheba submitted to islam? Someone must be reading from some mythical history book or just outright lying.

Yes she did, after the event of Solomon seizing her throne, however, david I think the myth must lie in the bible.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Virgo83(m): 9:43am On Aug 17, 2008
As Salaamu Alaykum Warah'motullahi Wabarakatuhu,
I appreciate your concerns especially those that have so far taken this Topic as a Personal Issue. This is a very complicated issue we have at hand, it's not suppose to be taken personal but we must view it in its Generality as an Islamist. I'm not here to condemn anybody, but to enhance the Originality of Islam and bring out the Beauty it possessed.

powderPink:

screw Islam, its a huge Farce.

QUR'AN: Ch. vi : 70 Stated;
Leave alone those who take their Religion to be mere play and amusement, And are deceived by the life of this world. But proclaim (to them) this (truth): that every soul delivers itself to ruin by its own acts: it will find for himself no protector or intercessor except God: if it offer every ransom, (or Reparation), none will be accepted: such is (The end of) those who deliver themselves to ruin by their own acts: They will have for drink (only) boiling water,and for punishment, One most grievous: for they persisted in rejecting God.

@ powerdink
there are certain Religion Issues we mustn't be taken as mere play, what is at stake here concern you and I (if you're my Brother), You needed to seek Deliverance then Forgiveness for your disgusting comment.

Queenisha:

Sexism of the highest order.
Nairaland is a secular forum my friend.
Don't carry your female 3rd class mentality in here.
If people like you had their way,she'll be wearing a burqua and locked up behind a wooden gate.

This is not sexism neither a Third Class Mentality as you thought or might been taught but purely SHERIHIYYATUL ISLAMIYAT (ISLAMIC LAW & JURISPUNDENCE) at the Highest Order. I never recommend a Veil for Her neither stated She being pull behind a Wooden Gate But that's left to Her Husband if He wills. I never said Nairaland's not a forum with Secular Instincts, But in terms of Secularity, Islam Has to be left with,- To Its Guiding LAWS and JURISPUNDENCE.

And Note QUR'AN: Ch. XLIX: 17, "They impress on thee as a favour that they have emraced Islam. Say, "Count not your Islam as a favour upon me: Nay, God Has conferred a favour upon you that He has guided you to the Faith , if Be true and sincere."

Words in Bold and Italic is explaining that Islam Has its Principle, An Islamist must be Guided upon. So any where it mightr be these Principles must be followed even on Nairaland.

Queenisha:

well she was the owner of the business and he was a mere errand boy aka boiboi
did you expect her to hand over a business she built with her sweat over to a caravan driver who had no clue how the business started just because he became her husband ?
Your example here doesn't jive honey

ayinba1:

@Queenisha

Read again, please

@ Queenisha
Ayinba1, Queenisha need not only to read again but to seek what She understand not.
So Queenisha seek and you shall find,
find and you shall be taught,
Be taught and you shall know, then you'll acknowledge the Biography of The Noble Prophet.

Queenisha, you know not the meaning of what you've done abusing the Personality of the Most Noble of ALL THE PROPHET, referring to Him as boiboi. You dear mind you the way you uses your words 'cause if this got publish to the General populace (Public), I thought you knew its complication.

Immediately the NOBLE PROPHET accepted the Proposal by KHADIJAH to marry Her, He assume the Leadership of their Household, Her Business and She got Submitted to Him Solemnly.

mukina2:

[b]Chapter 4, Verse 124.
" And whoever does righteous good deeds, male or female, and is a true believer in the Oneness of Allah (Muslim), such will enter Paradise and not the least injustice, even to the size of a Naqira (speck on the back of a date-stone), will be done to them. Chapter 33, Verse 35
"Verily, the Muslims (those who submit to Allah in Islam) men and women, the believers men and women (who believe in Islamic Monotheism), the men and the women who are obedient (to Allah), the men and women who are truthful (in their speech and deeds), the men and the women who are patient (in performing all the duties which Allah has ordered and in abstaining from all that Allah has forbidden), the men and the women who are humble (before their Lord Allah), the men and the women who give Sadaqat (i.e. Zakat, and alms, etc.), the men and the women who observe Saum
(fast) (the obligatory fasting during the month of Ramadan, and the optional Nawafil fasting), the men and the women who guard their chastity (from illegal sexual acts) and the men and the women who remember Allah much with their hearts and tongues (while sitting, standing, lying, etc. for more than 300 times extra over the remembrance of Allah during the five compulsory congregational prayers) or praying extra additional Nawafil prayers of night in the last part of night, etc.) Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).
[/b]

There are other verses you know . . . . lots of them sef

In other words,i am simply trying to let you know that Islam accepts that all human beings are equal, and should be dealt with according to the principle of equality.

In the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah it was repeated over and over again that Allah favours one over another based on that person's awareness, consciousness, fear, love. All other criteria are excluded: gender, ethnic group, country, ancestry, etc.

I am a human being as you are and i do not think my gender affects my judgement. I do not wished to be judged according to my gender .

I think as Muslims we should stop interpreting Sharia wrongly.

if we do not know certain things, its better we ask, than assume.

Female LeadersThere are many more contemporary examples of women leading Muslim-majority countries. Remarkably, a majority of all Muslims in the world live in countries that have, at some time, elected women as their leaders.[3] Indeed, four of the five most populous Muslim-majority countries have had women as leaders:

ma salaam cool

@ Frizy
truly as the Moderator still In charge you have the right to contribute but as the Sub-Subject you should have not contributed so soon, this is where I disagree with Frizy:

Frizy:

@poster

In the other area, 'Pages and on Topics' She might have been doing a Perfect Job But here you can see she can not and that's part of the Reason the SHERIAH LAW condemn their Leadership in Public.

And as for the Story of Queen Sheba (BALIQIYZ), it is of the Dark Age, I bet you guys understand this.
It as happen hundred of years before the Arrival of the Noble Prophet Muhammad, Before the Teachings of Islam.

@ Mukina2
I relieve you not of your position here, you're doing a great job But Protocols must be followed according to the Fact that this Page is Purely islamic. I appreciate and admire your courage but the truth as to reveal itself.
See this:

QUR'AN: Ch. IV: 34,
Men are the Protectors and Maintainers of Women,Because God Has given the one more (Strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the Righteous Women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the Husband) absence what God would have them guard. And to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance): For God is Most High, Great (above you all).

and Note that those References you pointed out does not emphasized the Equality of Men and Women neither did it stated that Men and Women are equal.

[center]"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""[/center]

I am a human being as you are and i do not think my gender affects my judgement. I do not wished to be judged according to my gender .

I never regarded you as a Second Class Citizen in Islam neither judge you according to your Gender, But I am Stating the Islamic Perspective on Leadership.

I think as Muslims we should stop interpreting Sharia wrongly.

I am not doing this But Strengthening its Powers and suggesting we abide by it to perfect this page than any other page on Nairaland.

if we do not know certain things, its better we ask, than assumption

I'm not a Novice on this neither an Islamic Illiterate, I am a Learnered, and note it, I've been in the Field "of Training the Young & the Old, Men & Women" who seeks to know for more than a Decade and am still on it, May The Almighty ALLAH (SWT) sustain me and enhance my knowledge.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by olabowale(m): 1:04pm On Aug 17, 2008
@Virgo83:

Immediately the NOBLE PROPHET accepted the Proposal fro KHADIJAH to marry Her, He assume the Leadership of their Household, Her Business and She got Submitted to Him Solemnly.

Ya Shekh, Salaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah. How many Khadihatu Qubra, alive then and worse still, now? We should not forget that the issue of Islamic jurispudence has its place; within and among the sphere of Islam.

However, we see that Nairaland is owned by a non-muslim. Just like businesses owned by non-muslims, do we impose our Islamic ethics in a hard and firm manner, especially when what is on ground is not truly anti Islam and we really do not have a voice to change anything?

If we are to enact Islamic ethics, hard and firm, then Obasanjo would never have been the leader of Nigeria. And none of those leaders who had been non-muslims and the hypocrites, among us, who had been leaders, should have led. I remind you of this, as a means of expressing limitations that you have on Nairaland. And if you have a greviance, you should write to Seun, after this to express your opinion. I hope he will tell you how he feels from his heart.

Finally, the prophet (AS), did turnaround and proposed to Khadijah (ra), in order to honor her goodness and integrity. There was no time it was read that Khadijah did not retain the ownership of her business. She was because of her wealth, was able to bankroll Islam, as long as she lived. If she was not the owner of her business anymore, then the ahadith where women (that would include wives) could own properties (and business is property), will be ineffective. We do not see any abrogation of this liberation of women, from the position of property-less, and they being the property of the pre-Muhammad's Islam of the Arabs. Please help us in good and sound education.

And as for the Story of Queen Sheba (BALIQIYZ), it is of the Dark Age, I bet you guys understand this.
It as happen hunred of years before the Arival of the Noble Prophet Muhammed, Before the Teachings of Islam.

Please show us any verse of the Qur'an or ahadith that condemned her position among her people. Let me give you an example of what I want to know from you. Allah spoke about what is forbiddened to the Children of israel. In extension, put forward what is forbiddento mankind, and specifically the believers. Then God the Almighty Allah mentioned what in the meat that Israel, prophet Yaqub (as) forbid himself. Please show us where Sheeba's reign is abrogated or consideed as a bad thing and must not be repeated, because she is a woman.

Please bear in mind that a woman lead a battle against a disbelieving clan in Madina, because there was no single male able body to lead it. It was also reported that a woman led Salah, when there was no single male able body to do so. These two were within Madina. Now tell me when it is within Nairaland.

@@Davidylan:

Davidylan, her being a muslim, in the time of Sulaiman (as), points to the fact that Islam existed in the time appropriate forms, Sharias and Sunnahs of the particular prophet of the time, before Muhammad (AS), whom the religion reached the peak of completeness and perfection, as a favor of God on human beings. This is why you will never have any other prophet, messenger after Muhammad (AS), and there will never be a new religion after his form of Islam.

Now, aren't you aware that Bilquis' burial place is reported to be outside Ijebu Ode, on the way to Ibadan? How did she get there? Please go and find out these titbits, which are very essential to your baseless but blanketed assumptions.

We all know what happened to her after.
turkey regards itself as a secular European nation.

In all your bruhaha against islam, America has never elected neither a woman or black as her leader. Yet not only Pakistan, but Bangladesh and Indonesia have ben much more progressive. And though Turkey may have seen herself as a secular European nation, that is based on location, but the heart is always entranched in Islam. may Allah return them all into the true fold of islam and not to continue in the fringes. Amin.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by mukina2: 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2008
truly as the Moderator still Incharge you have the right to contribute but as the Sub-Subject you should have not contributed so soon,

and why?

@ Mukina2
I relieve you not of your position here, you're doing a great job But Protocols must be followed according to the Fact that this Page is Purely islamic. I appreciate and admire your courage but the truth as to reveal itself.
See this:
QUR'AN: Ch. IV: 34,
Men are the Protectors and Maintainers of Women,Because God Has given the one more (Strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the Righteous Women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the Husband) absence what God would have them guard. And to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance): For God is Most High, Great (above you all).

and Note that those References you pointed out does not emphasized the Equality of Men and Women neither did it stated that Men and Women are equal.

Islam declared women and men equal. There is not a single verse that talks about men having more rights over women anywhere in  the Holy Quran.

In Suratul An Nisa verse 1 it states that

" O mankind! Be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person (Adam), and from him (Adam) He created his wife [Hawwa (Eve)], and from them both He created many men and women and fear Allah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship). Surely, Allah is Ever an All-Watcher over you. "

Also in Suratul Ash Shura verse 11 it also states:

"The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you mates from yourselves, and for the cattle (also) mates. By this means He creates you (in the wombs). There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer. "

Suratul Al Isra verse 70

"And indeed We have honoured the Children of Adam, and We have carried them on land and sea, and have provided them with At-Taiyibat (lawful good things), and have preferred them above many of those whom We have created with a marked preference. "

Suratul Al Imran verse 195

" So their Lord accepted of them (their supplication and answered them), "Never will I allow to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female. You are (members) one of another, so those who emigrated and were driven out from their homes, and suffered harm in My Cause, and who fought, and were killed (in My Cause), verily, I will remit from them their evil deeds and admit them into Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise); a reward from Allah, and with Allah is the best of rewards."

Suratul Al Hujarat verse 12

" O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun ] Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

And many more verse . .

You saying that  i must not participate here  as someone in control, is just one of many Cultural Islamic practices that HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QURAN.

Men and Women face the  same religious and moral duties and responsibilities and when either goes against any of them, they will suffer the consequences.

I never regarded you as a Second Class Citizen in Islam neither judge you according to your Gender, But I am Stating the Islamic Perspective on Leadership.

Cultural but NOT Islamic, why am i supposed to seek permission from Mustay before i post? and why must i  not be the first to make a comment? where in the Quran  was that stated?

I am not doing this But Strengthening its Powers and suggesting we abide by it to perfect this page than any other page on Nairaland.
We can make the page perfect by sticking to Islamic aspects and not the cultural ones

I am a Novice on  this neither a Islamic Illiterate, I am a Learnered on this Field, A Graduate of MARKAZ TTA'LEEM IL'ARABIY ALISLAMIY""""INSTITUTE OF ARABIC AND ISLAMIC STUDIES, AGEGE , Present Serving SECRETARY to the MISSION BOARD, ISTIJABAH MOSQUE, Bajulaiye Somolu and note it I've been in the Field of Training the Young & the Old, Men & Women who seeks to know for more than a Decade and am still on it, May The Almighty ALLAH (SWT) sustain me and enhance my knowledge.
Congratulations  but that does not still mean you know everything . .we are all learning and  i think its about time we separate the cultural aspects from the Islamic ones when trying to make a point

Ma salaam cool
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by babs787(m): 8:10pm On Aug 17, 2008
@Virgo83

I am a Novice on  this neither a Islamic Illiterate, I am a Learnered on this Field, A Graduate of MARKAZ TTA'LEEM IL'ARABIY ALISLAMIY""""INSTITUTE OF ARABIC AND ISLAMIC STUDIES, AGEGE , Present Serving SECRETARY to the MISSION BOARD, ISTIJABAH MOSQUE, Bajulaiye Somolu and note it I've been in the Field of Training the Young & the Old, Men & Women who seeks to know for more than a Decade and am still on it, May The Almighty ALLAH (SWT) sustain me and enhance my knowledge.

Salam and I love your posts but the above calls for attention. How did what you post up affects/contibutes to the discussion here? There is a significant difference between Knowledge and Understanding. There are lots of people that do not go to any Arabic institute but knows Islam more than those than went to the school through reading, surfing, asking and confirming from the learned ones etc. We should be very careful on how we apply our knowledge to issues.

May Allah increases our knowledge.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by zayhal(f): 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2008
salam alaykum warahmatullah,
There's no doubt about the fact that Allah assigns different roles to the male and female gender according to His wisdom and majesty. We should not allow the modernity od today distract us from this fact. Examples abound in the Quran and sunnah pointing to the leadership roles of men. However, we should not at the same time, abuse these roles.
A female moderating in nairaland, I think, is not too much a role for a woman to occupy. Most of us do not even know Mukina personally. By moderating here, what Islamic law has she infringed upon, assuming a leadership role? What about the ameerahs we have in our MSS, and other Islamic organisations? Are they also committing wrong? I think Mukina's role here is even better because her job here doesn't expose her to free mixing with men, she's not engaged in any laborous work here. These are (some of) d things Islam considers when looking at the musimah and working.
If we say a woman should not moderate here, we can as well say a woman should not be a teacher, afterall, she's the leader in her class, a woman should not have a tailoring outfit where there'll be apprentices etc etc.
Please let's not make an issue out of this.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Mustay(m): 5:42pm On Aug 18, 2008
ASAW

The Quran does not limit women from being leaders in any form, be it spiritual, societal or commercial. Many accounts throughout history reflect this idea, as women have held positions or pioneered movements.

It's undisputed that one of the earliest commentators and scholars of Islamic knowledge was Aisha, the Prophet Muhammad's wife (may God be pleased with her). She transmitted and commented on many things the Prophet Muhammad said and did, which forms part of the basis of fiqh, or Islamic law.

In addition to being legal scholars, women like Rabi'a al-'Adawiyya were spiritual leaders as well. These women are distinct from jurists because they focused on the spiritual needs of the people as opposed to expanding Islamic rules and laws.

The only religious area from which women have traditionally been barred is leading the five daily prayers as an imam. Various explanations have been put forth, and although people like Amina Wadud have challenged them, the vast majority of Muslims have condemned her ideas.

This isn't much different from the debates raging in Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism about ordaining female priests or rabbis.

Although female Muslims have been business owners, political leaders and health professionals, it should be pointed out that historically these leaders have been among a minority. This is directly the result of our male dominated and patriarchal society, which persists today.

However, the role of women is not a "Muslim problem;" rather, it's humanity's problem. I realize I might be stepping on some toes here, but I would argue that even our country still hasn't reached true gender equality.

Women only got the right to vote 90 years ago in the United States, and statistically, men are likely to make more money and advance faster and higher than a woman in my field. The disparity between the treatment of males and females is even more apparent in other countries.

It's easy to use Saudi Arabia as an example where women aren't even allowed to drive. But as most Saudis will be quick to point out, it's based on cultural reasons, not Islamic justifications.

However, Saudi Arabia is an extreme example that defies the norm, especially compared to countries such as Egypt, Syria, Malaysia and Jordan, where they don't have these laws.

Some religions are criticized for portraying God as male. Certain feminists maintain that this portrayal leads to societal male dominance. Islam has a somewhat unique perspective on the gender of God as compared to other traditions.

Although God is referred to as "He" in the Quran, "he" isn't used exclusively for males, especially since Arabic does not have gender-neutral pronouns. God's qualities are described using both masculine and feminine archetypical traits. So God is beyond anthropomorphic description, and it's impermissible to assign God a gender.

This ties into the belief that God will judge men and women equally, making neither spiritually superior over the other. Therefore, it's ludicrous to assume that men are divinely predisposed to be leaders and women are not.

Women can excel in whatever field they choose, but they must continually grate against our male-centric society. Hopefully, through continuing discourse, these barriers will eventually ebb away.

credit goes to Zakariya Dehlawi for this.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by littleb(m): 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2008
Assalam Alaykum,
There is no specific verse in the Quran that abrogate the leadership of women in Islam. However, the explantion of Hadith concerning women leadership is subjected to different juristic schools. Moreso, there is no scholarly agreement as to women could not be a leader in Islam. However, the most common consenesus on women leadership are subjected to one of the following conditions:

1. The composition of the society
2. The kind of duties to carry out by being a leader
3. Agreement of the followership

1. If the society is purely islamic, for example in an Islamic state with able men and women composition, the islamic leadership in such environement is solely for Men. Moreover, under islamic jurispudence, in any society, women can occupy any post except the Head of State. However, if the society is non islamic or mixed and the mode of system is non Islamic, the system of such community should be respected, whatever the kind of system being operated.

2.  The subject of who leads in some tasks is consider for men in this regard except if the condition is critical or there is no able man to lead. The most prominent and common example is war and head of state. Also, as long as the duty does not prevent him from carrying out the marital duties as a wife and mother or exposing her nudities or subjected to unbliever policies in the matter of appearance or dressing.

3. Followership determination on the choice of who lead them.

On the above inscriptions, most of the sharia principles on women participating in politics or in goveermental posts based their verdict on them. In support of this is the proof that a society or community started from a single family; that is, a father and a mother. And Allah(SWA) instructed; whatever the decision in the house(for example as seen in weaning of child and Talaq; divorce) should be in mutual consultation between each other.

Quran:2:233
The mothers shall give suck to their children for two whole years, (that is) for those (parents) who desire to complete the term of suckling, but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mother's food and clothing on a reasonable basis. No person shall have a burden laid on him greater than he can bear. No mother shall be treated unfairly on account of her child, nor father on account of his child. And on the (father's) heir is incumbent the like of that (which was incumbent on the father). If they both decide on weaning, by mutual consent, and after due consultation, there is no sin on them. And if you decide on a foster suckling-mother for your children, there is no sin on you, provided you pay (the mother) what you agreed (to give her) on reasonable basis. And fear Allâh and know that Allâh is All-Seer of what you do.
and
Quran 65: 6.
Lodge them (the divorced women) where you dwell, according to your means, and do not treat them in such a harmful way that they be obliged to leave. And if they are pregnant, then spend on them till they deliver. Then if they give suck to the children for you, give them their due payment, and let each of you accept the advice of the other in a just way. But if you make difficulties for one another, then some other woman may give suck for him (the father of the child).

There is another verse which Allah mention mutual consultation with no gender segregation:

Qr42:38: And those who answer the Call of their Lord [i.e. to believe that He is the only One Lord (Allâh), and to worship none but Him Alone], and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and who (conduct) their affairs by mutual consultation, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them.

Most of the Jusrists oppinions women paricipation in politics are based on the above Quranic verses and also the life of prophets in making decision, which was always with consultation with no gender segregation.

The circumtances at which the prophet says;'A nation which placed its affairs in the hands of a woman shall never prosper' had been explained by some scolars that it was only relevant to the preceding events and not general. And similar hadith is when the prophets says that Qibla is between mecca and medina, in order to locate the Qibla is applicable only in mecca alone.

There are other citations which some jurists against women leadership whereas some who admit it. The most common and aggree consensus are those who take the middle course; claiming that women can take any post in any society or community with some restrictions as stated above. Alah Aalam.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Virgo83(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2008
In A Complete, Purely Islamic Settings.
In an Islamic State I mean, the composition of Imam never considered a Woman not even as an option but within Her Gender.

[b]I am preparing A Presentation on This Topic[b].
So every body should watch out
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by shuppie(f): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2008
it really beats my imagination that someone is trying to enforce islamic laws that re applied in real life, to a mere forum. shocked
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by mukina2: 10:05pm On Aug 24, 2008
shuppie:

it really beats my imagination that someone is trying to enforce islamic laws that re applied in real life, to a mere forum.  shocked

my dear just ignore him wink

when he is tired he will stop
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by shuppie(f): 10:58pm On Aug 24, 2008
muki dear, how re u preparing for ramadan? i pray to Almighty Allah that it meets all of us in peace and in good health. ameen. smiley
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by mukina2: 11:02pm On Aug 24, 2008
My dear very well . Insha Allah i hope it does too . . smiley
will you be doing tarawih prayers? cheesy
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by zayhal(f): 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2008
@virgo
Me think u're making u're a mountain out of a molehill here. what's so big in a female moderating an ordinary forum? What orders does she give? How exactly does this constitute haram? I mean, Or is there more to this than meets the ordinary eye (like mine)? Maybe we should be let into the roles Mukina play here that make it seem like that of an Imam. Abi? Someone pls enlighten me o.
Mukina, how much is your salary, perhaps someone is envious of ur sit ? grin
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by shuppie(f): 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2008
@muki dear, i've never missed taraweeh prayers since i started fasting from way back. smiley
all thanks to Almighty Allah for his blessings.
maybe the poster wants to become a moderator on this section, and he has no idea of how to go about it, so maybe he thot that if he can whip up the sharia law stance on women, maybe the folks here will jump at it and vote mukina out .
just maybe..
all these extremists sef.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by mukina2: 11:41pm On Aug 25, 2008
Zayhal grin
abeg helep me ask am o grin grin i nor know wh ythe guy dey fume , when we cant even see ourselves grin grin

Shuppie
wow!!! shocked cheesy
as for me lipsrsealed grin i try
i don tell u to ignore Oga Sheikh abi? grin
nor make the guy vex o grin grin
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 25, 2008
Frizy, how can the myth lie in the same bible you quote to validate your false doctrine? grin Is someone confused here?
you quote the same bible to prove Mohammad was the paraclete and suddenly it has become a myth? does that mean that Mohammad's alleged "prophecy" in the bible is a myth too? cheesy

when you lie, the best you can do is try to do so consistently.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by Mustay(m): 11:52am On Aug 26, 2008
Group admonishes women on Ramadan

An Islamic group, The Criterion, has urged Muslim women across the country to brace up for the forthcoming Ramadan fast.

A release from the organisation on Monday, also urged women, especially mothers, against taking the back seat during the religious obligation.

National Ameerah (President)of the group, Dr. Fatimah Abdulkareem, an associate professor of Pathology, signed the statement.

Abdulkareem said, “It (Ramadan) breeds harmony amongst family members and the Muslim Ummah in general. It teaches us patience, perseverance and good manners.”

“Fasting gives the body systems complete rest and improved ability to function. It also teaches us contentment and discipline. It is a shield against sin.”

According to the group, mothers have roles to play in order to reap the benefits of the period.

To overcome all distractions during Ramadan, the group admonished mothers to clean their homes and valuables, and engage in bulk food purchase in preparation for the period.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by olabowale(m): 12:01pm On Aug 26, 2008
@Davidylan: You still didnot get it. Let me try to share what the Bible is to us. Thing of the Bible as BLOOD. Normally, to an ordinary person, blood may just be that without any water content. But to a specialised Scientist, he will know that blood contains "water." What the person who does not know the truth about the Bible will say, is what you are saying, about what it contains about the Last prophet (AS).

Qur'an informs us that the people of the Books know Muhammad (as), as they know their own children. When you become a father you will kno the truth about this statement. We in Islam are therefore able to know where Muhammad is written about, in the "Corrupt" Bible. God has preserved these types of truths in the Bible.

Look just like you will never as a Christian be able to put a single Bible forward, that will be agreeable to all Christians as the proverbial "Word of God," to refute what the Qur'an calls the Bible, Corrupt. Same way, your corrupt Bible will never be able to remove the suble confirmations of God being One, even though the Idea of 3 godheads an personality is being pushed in the NT. You will never be able to push out the fact that Jesus is a begging entity before his Lord God Almighty Creator. Finally, you will never be able to push out Muhammad, even as you continue to deny it. It is obvious that it is in ther.
Re: Can Women Be Leaders In Islam? by babs787(m): 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2008
@Virgo83

In A Complete, Purely Islamic Settings.
In an Islamic State I mean, the composition of Imam never considered a Woman not even as an option but within Her Gender.

I see nowhere here, posters claimed that Women can lead men in prayer. Of course, it is a known fact that a woman cannot lead men but can lead women of her type in the absence of men.

I stand to be corrected

[b]I am preparing A Presentation on This Topic[b].
So every body should watch out

Looking forward to reading that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masturbation In Ramadan / Why Can't The Quran Be Translated Into English? / Eidul Mubarak!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.