Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,562 members, 7,850,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:59 AM

Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? - Islam for Muslims (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? (60965 Views)

Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2007
Salam all

Na the intention matter and there's nothin' wrong with it as long as u get the accurate figures 2 be counted

Intention precedes action and action will be judged according to intentions.

Insha Allah, I will post write up on the misconceptions on Islam touching nearly every important area in Islam very soon so that non-muslims reading this thread will have knowledge about Islam and see that it is quite different from how westerners have portrayed and are still portraying Islam to the world.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 6:57am On Jan 01, 2008
Narrated Al-Mughirah bin Shubah: The Prophet(pbuh) said:

Allah has forbidden for u:

1 to be undutiful to ur mothers

2 to bury ur daughters alive

3 not to pay zakat; charity

4 to beg of men. . .

begging!
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dominique(f): 2:22pm On Jan 02, 2008
Salaam friends. may the peace and blessings  of Allah (S.W.T) be upon the Prophet (S.A.W) and members of his household (Amin). its always grand to be in the mist of fellow muslims, i've learnt so much about Islam ever since i reconverted though i can't say i'm well grounded but i'm trying sha  undecided.

Insha Allah, I will post write up on the misconceptions on Islam touching nearly every important area in Islam very soon so that non-muslims reading this thread will have knowledge about Islam and see that it is quite different from how westerners have portrayed and are still portraying Islam to the world.

Maa Salam

[/quote]

nice can't wait. may Allah continue to increase you in knowlege.

[quote author=Mustay link=topic=16387.msg1810900#msg1810900 date=1199167070]

4 to beg of men. . .

begging!

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2008
@dominique

Salaam friends. may the peace and blessings of Allah (S.W.T) be upon the Prophet (S.A.W) and members of his household (Amin). its always grand to be in the mist of fellow muslims, i've learnt so much about Islam ever since i reconverted though i can't say i'm well grounded but i'm trying sha .

I am very happy for you and I pray that may Allah continue to guide and make Islam easy for you. Practising Islam may seem to hard at the beginning but you will find out that it is very easy to, just like when I first started. I would be in the state of ablution and other things which may look stressful and does not apply to christianity.

nice can't wait. may Allah continue to increase you in knowlege.

Thanks sister, I will start tomorrow INSHA ALLAH but in the meantime, scroll through the pages of this same thread and learn lots about Islam.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dominique(f): 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
salam once again. theres something i like to know if it happens to you too. sometimes when you are in a congregation and the iman is saying a long surah you don't know. do you drift away and lose concentration in and once you realise this, what do you say (as in supplication). please i will like to know what supplications i can recite so i can concentrate. normally, i seek refuge from the cursed shaiton and try to concentrate.
babs787:

@dominique

Thanks sister, I will start tomorrow INSHA ALLAH but in the meantime, scroll through the pages of this same thread and learn lots about Islam.

Maa Salam

Jazakumlahi khairan (hope i spelt it right smiley
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 11:15pm On Jan 02, 2008
Salaam

Mustapha nice one cheesy good boy tongue
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 11:24pm On Jan 02, 2008
wink
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 9:44am On Jan 03, 2008
@dominique

salam once again. theres something i like to know if it happens to you too. sometimes when you are in a congregation and the iman is saying a long surah you don't know. do you drift away and lose concentration in and once you realise this, what do you say (as in supplication). please i will like to know what supplications i can recite so i can concentrate. normally, i seek refuge from the cursed shaiton and try to concentrate.

Salam sister, it does happen but Insha Allah I will come with the Hadith hat and rulings on that from Figh U- Sunnah on Salat.

Jazakumlahi khairan (hope i spelt it right

:DIt is Jazakhullah Khairan. cheesy

Stay blessed till you hear from me.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 9:47am On Jan 03, 2008
Salam Alaekun Waramatulah Wabarakatuh

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Misconceptions about Islam

Causes

The natural gap in understanding between different cultures and beliefs. It is natural to human beings to grwo up regarding their own society and its beliefs and culture as normal and reasonable. By this standard, the beliefs and culture of aother peole seem strange, abnormal and unreasonable. To a non-muslim, the wearing of veil by woman seems at first stragne and burdensome likewise a muslim whois used to seeing women in veil often feels shocked to swee non muslim women going round exposing  their bodies in a way she fins immodest. It is necessary therefore to be very objective in dealing with people's beliefs and cultural practices and not to  assume that one's own beliefs and culture are automatically right and good and others belief and cultures are wrong or bad.

Some muslims have themselves misunderstood or disobeyed the teaching of Islam or have confused Islam with their local cuklture and beliefs and do ot know the difference. Some have failed to behave in accordance with islamic teachings due to natuiral human weaknesses. It is fair to assess Islam on the basis of what it traches and the results seen when it is practised. It is not fair to assess it on the basius of things some muslims do that are contrary to Islam, nor it is fair to assess it by what goes on in some muslim countries where Islam is not put into practice or where Islam ius suppressed by the rulers. Nor is it fair to expect every muslim to be enlightened and perfect and to blame Islam if he is not.

Lastly, there has been deliberate distortion, misrepresentation and invention of falsehood about Islam by those who oppose muslioms for religious, ideological or politicalk reasons.

Distortions of the truth about Islam began in the European middle Ages. As Islam spread and the Islamic world expanded from the 7th century onwards across North Africa, through Spain and Turkey into Southern Europe, the christian church and the European rulers felt threatened religiously and politically. They moibilized armies to goto Palestine on crusades to fight Islam,

In order to arouse the people's hatred and fear of Islam, they invented false stories e.g muslims were pagans, idol worshippers, they called prophet Mahoud and made him into a devil with with to frighten children.

Thise Europenas who reached Palestine were often surprised to find the muslims more advanceds in science, technology and civilization than they themselves. Some of them stayed on there and became muslims. Christian scholars passed on the same scandalous stories in their books so that hatred of Islam was inherited from generation to generation. Christian and jewish minorities continued to live in the muslim world for centuries where they practised their religion and lived peacefully alongside the muslims. However, christian societies could not tolerate the presence of Muslims or jews. When after 750 years of Islamiuc rules, Spain was re conquered by the christians, the muslims and jews were either forced to convert to christianity or killed unless they could escape.

By portraying the muslims as stupid and barbaric, the church could raise huge funds to send missionaries to muslim lands. At the same time the colonial govts could justify their occupation of muslim lands on the ground that they were bringing them education, law and enlightenement.

In the later part of the 20th century, as the colonial powers declined and withdrew, serious scholars, both muslims and honest non muslims were able to expose as fasle as many of the allegations made about Islam. Amon uneducated people and among the people who do not want to hear the truth, ignorance remains and many of the old stories and fasle allegations are still in circulation in books and in various media.

Hence, even today, there are chridtians who have been brainwashed into believing muslims worship idol called Allah!. There are christians who have been taught that muslims believe they will go to paradise if they kill a christians etc.  

I will start on those misconceptions soon.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 7:48am On Jan 04, 2008
don't 4get 2 get 2 jum'ah early wink
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dragnet: 8:50am On Jan 04, 2008
S.a.l.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a, a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a,a.a.a.a.a.a,a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.a.am A'laykum !!
Salaam 2 all . . I think I'll feel @ h0me in dis thread . .
May I ask who is d pro here??
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dragnet: 8:57am On Jan 04, 2008
As 4 losing c0ncentratn while pRaying. . . I'm having a Great pr0blem wt that & 2 tink dat I hav 2 lead m0st tyms!! . .bt what I try 2 do 2 keep c0ncentratd is try 2 keep my mind 0n d interpretatn(d few 0nes I knw) as if ALMIGHTY ALLAH is reading it 2 me . . .but I must c0nfes . . I'm stil N0T GO0D @ it !
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2008
@Mustay

don't forget 2 get 2 jum'ah early

I wont brother, thanks for your concern. cheesy

@dominique & dragnet

As 4 losing c0ncentratn while pRaying. . . I'm having a Great pr0blem wt that & 2 think that I hav 2 lead m0st tyms!! . .bt what I try 2 do 2 keep c0ncentratd is try 2 keep my mind 0n d interpretatn(d few 0nes I knw) as if ALMIGHTY ALLAH is reading it 2 me . . .but I must c0nfes . . I'm stil N0T GO0D @ it !

reciting behind an Imam
one's prayer is not accepted unless Al-Fatiha is recited in every rakah. But, one who is praying behind an Imam is to keep quiet while the Imama is reciting asloud as Allah says in the Quran, 'when the Quran is recited, listen and remain silent that you may attain mercy'. The prophet (saw) said , 'when the Imama makes the takbir, (you too) make the takbir. When he recites, be silent (related by muslim).
One hadith states ,' Whoever is praying behind an Imam, the Imama recital is his recital. If the Imam reads quietly, then all of the followers must also make theier own recital. If one cannot hear Imam's recital, he must make his own recital.

It happens at times that you seem to get lost when Imam is reciting any Surah particularly the one you dont know, the thing to do in order not to drift away is to recite the surah you know as the Imam is reciting his own so that you wont get distracted when he is reading his own. It will do you good if you knw the meaning of what he is reciting, you just concentrate and meditate on what he is reciting but if you do not understand the meaning, you can recite the surah you know silently after him so that you dont get carried away and as a result of this, you will get 100% concentration.

May Allah make it easier for us.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 10:22am On Jan 04, 2008
Bismillah Rahman Raheem

why does Islam allows Divorce?

In Islam, marriage is intended to be a life-long partnership wherein both parties find security and happiness and are able to establish a family and bring up their children. The rights and responsibilities consequent upon it are of such importance to the welfare of humanity, that a high degree of sactity is attached to it. But in spite of the sacredness of the character of the marriage tie, Islam recognises the necessity in exceptional circumstances of keeping the way open for its dissolution.

No one can pretend that alll marriages are always happy and blissful. However hard you may try, unforseen difficulties may make marriage life intolerabler. If the relationship between husband and wife becomes so bad that it can produce only misery within the family, they are not forced to stay together until death. At this stage the marriage can be dissolved and eac partner released in the hope of finding peace and happiness in another marriage if possible.

Islam prescribes every precaution to prevent the break up of a marriage. It recommends counselling and mediation by relatives, friends or a judge to help resolve differences and problems etc. But when married life does not fulfil its purpose and becomes unbearable, the marriage bond is severed as a last resort.

The prophet (saw) said 'of all things that have been permitted, divorce is the most hated by Allah'.

Some non-muslims say that Islam endangers marriage by allowing divorce. On the contrary, it ensures it by the very same measure for the wrong person would know that the wronged can free himself or herself from injustice and harm by divorce. By realising that marriage is binding only as long as it is functional and successful, both parties would do their utmost to make their marriage fulfilling  before doing anything that might affect the continuance of marriage. It makes each partner careful in choosing the other partner before marriage and in treating that partner afterwards.

By allowing divorce in the first place, therefore, Islam declares its policy that it cannot tolerate unhappy, cold, and stagnant marriages which are much more harmful than divorce. Islam stands firmly on guard for morality and human dignity. It does not force a person to suffer the injustice and harm of an unfaithful partner. It does not drive people to immorality and indecency. What is morally and humanly remarkable about Islam in this respect is that it does not force any person to lower his or her dignity and degarde his or her morality just to obtain a divorce.

Considering the case of adultery and its endorsement by some systems (or religions) as a basis for divorce (matt 5 v 32), the muslim, can only say that it is humilaiting to human dignity and detrimental to morality that a person should commit adultery or pretend to have committed it in order to obtain a divorce (which in some systems are not otherwise granted e.g 1 corinthians 7 v 10-11, Lukw 16 v 18, mark 10 v 1-12)

This is something which Islam can never accept or endorse, because it would violate the whole system of moral values which Islam cherishes. Any system or religion dealing with human nature has to be realistic and moderate, making allowances for all circumstances with preparedness to cope with all conditions. Else it would be self destructive and groundless, a state which Islam is absolutely free of (read quran 2 v 224-232, quran 4 v 34-35 and quran 4 v 127-130)

I will post write up on 'why polygamy is allowed in Islam' and 'why prophet married more than four wives'. I know that some of our sisters are not always happy when the issue like 'why muslims marry more than one wife' is mentioned but I hope the write up will provide enough explanation on that and increasee our knowledge on same.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by cushman(m): 9:14pm On Jan 04, 2008
Mustay:

1 to be undutiful to your mothers

2 to bury your daughters alive

3 not to pay zakat; charity

4 to beg of men. . .

begging!

Salam, Thats a quick reminder. Nice one!
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 9:21pm On Jan 04, 2008
Salaam smiley

@ Babs
i would love to see the polygamy posts . .i have mine on it grin

as long as you guys do not fight me grin cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 1:54pm On Jan 05, 2008
@mukina

Salaam

@ Babs
i would love to see the polygamy posts . .i have mine on it

as long as you guys do not fight me

Salam

Na wa o. Fight ke, there isn othing like that. Honestly it is not that I am supporting or going against Polygamy but just speaking on why it is allowed in Islam and I will looking forward to reading your rejoinder on same.

why is polygamy allowed in Islam?

Firstly, it must be made clear that Islam did not introduce Polygamy in the 7th century A.C. It was a common practice in the ancient world.

secondly polygamy wa the practice of the earlier prophets such as Abraham, David and Solomon as the bible testifies.

The verse which allows polygamy was revealed after the battle of Uhud in which many muslims were killed, leaving widows and orphans for whom due care was incumbent upon the Muslim survivors.

Quran 4 v 3; if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, three or four but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them) then (marry) only one,

from this verse a number of facts are evident:

1. That polygamy is neither mandatory nor encouraged but merely permitted.

2. that the permission to practise polygamy is not associated with mere satisfaction of pasion. It is rather associated with compassion toward widows and orphans, a matter that is conformed by the atmosphere in which the verse was revealed.

3. that even in such a situation, the permission is far more restricted than the normal practise which existed among the Arabs and other people at that time when many married as many as ten or more wives.

4. that dealing justly with one's wives is an obligation. This applies to housing, food, clothing, kind treatment etc for which the husband is fully responsible. If one is not sure of being able to deal justly with tme, Allah says 'then marry only one. This verse when combined with another verse in the same chapter, shows some discouragement of such plural marriages. The other verse plainly states' you are never able to be fair and just as between women even it if is your ardent desire (Quran 4 v 129).

The requirement of justice rules out the fantasy that man can own as many as he pleases. It also rules out the concept of secondary wife for all wives have exactly the same status and areentitled to identical rights and claims over their husband. It also implies according to the Islamic Law, that should the husband fail to produce enough support for any of his wives, she can go to court ask for a divorce.

5. the verse says marry not kidnap, buy or seduce. Marriage in Islam is a civil contract which is not valid unless both contracting parties consent to it. Thus no wife can be forced or given to a husband who is already married.

It is thus a free choice of both parties. As to the first wife:

a. she may be barren or ill and see in polygamy a better solution

b. she may divorce her husband if he marries a second wife provided that the marriage contract gives her the right of unilateral divorce.

c. she can go to court and ask for a divorce if there is evidence of mistreatment or injustice inflicted upon her.

But if polgamy is discouraged and loaded with such constraints, could it have been better if the Quran simply forbade it/ To answer this questio, we may have to raise another one:

Can polygamy be a better solution in some cases?
I will continue on that later Insha Allah
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2008
Can polygamy be a better solution in some cases?

Individual cases:

1. a man dicovers that his wife is barren, and who at the same time instinctively aspires to have children and heirs

In a situation like this, the man would either have to :

a suffer the deprivation of fatherhood for life
b. divorce his barren wife and get married to another woman who is not barren.

In many cases, neither solution can be considered as the best alternative. Polygamy would have the advantage of preserving the marital relationship without depriving the man of fathering children of his own.

2. Aman whose wife becomes chronically ill would have one of several possible alternatives:

a. he may suppress his instinctive sexual needs for the rest of his life
b. he may divorce his sick wife at the time when she needs his compassion most, and get married to another woman, thus legally satisfyng his instictive needs.

c. or he could compromise by keeping illicit sex partners.

The first solution is against  human nature. Islam recognises sex and sexual needs and provides for legitimate means for their satisaction. The second solution is clearly less compassionate, especially where there is love between the two parties. Furthermore divorce is decribed by Prophet Muhammad (saw) as the 'permitted thing which Allah hated most'. The last solution is plainly against the Islamic teachings which forbid illicit sexual relations in any form.

To sum up, Islam being against immorality and against divorce unless no better solution is available, provides for a better alternative which is cosistent with human nature and with the preservation of pure and legitimate sex relationships. In a situation like this, it is doubtful that any solution would be better than polygamy, which is, after all an optional solution.

Social cases:

1. anthropologists tell us that among various tribes and societies, polygamy is a social and economic necessity. In some very poor arears, the infant mortality is vert hugh. children on the other hand, are a source of additional labour for thr earning of the family. To have more children under such situations would require the practice of polygamy. It is by this reason christian missionaries in some African regions justified their permission to local people to practice polygamy without beng excommunicated from the church.

One researcher has even found through his studies that womwn in such socities not only accept polygamy but some of them even prefer this.

2. Aside from cases where women outnumber men, devastating wars, in the past and at present have taken their toll mainly among men. The result is not simply more women who cannot find husbands, but even more widows who may aspire to a respectable family life. In such a siatuation, if polygamy is bad, the limitation on polygamy is far worse.

Both unmarried women and widows are human beings. Unless their insticntive needs are legitimately satisfied, the temptation is great for corruption and immorality. But aside from the moral question these women are also exploited. They are used as tools for men's pleasure, yet have no guarantees, no rights or security, financial or emotional. Should they become pregnant, it is their burden alone. But even if such women are ready to pay the price for this personality, society also suffers seriously from such situations.

The increasing number of illegitimate children born today under conditions such as these provides a potential base for tomorrow's ma-adjusted people and even criminals. Furthermore, it is inhuman, humiliating for those children to grow up without knowing who their fathers are and without enjoying a clean and normal family life.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2008
Salaam Babs grin

I remember on that Islamic talk thread ,i posted something on Marriage wink
i would post it here tongue
I do not like polygamy angry :Pso my own post is solely on the monogamy part tongue cheesy

MARRIAGE IN ISLAM.

Islam, unlike other religions is a strong advocate of marriage. There is no place for celibacy like, for example the Roman Catholic priests and nuns. The prophet (pbuh) has said "there is no celibacy in Islam.

Marriage is a religious duty and is consequently a moral safeguard as well as a social necessity. Islam does not equal celibacy with high "taqwa" / "Iman". The prophet has also said, "Marriage is my tradition who so ever keeps away there from is not from amongst me".

Marriage acts as an outlet for sexual needs and regulate it so one does not become a slave to his/ her desires.

It is a social necessity because through marriage, families are established and the family is the fundamental unit of our society. Furthermore, marriage is the only legitimate or halal way to indulge in intimacy between a man and a woman.

Islam takes a middle of the road position to sexual relations , it neither condemns it like certain religions, nor does it allow it freely. Islam urges us to control and regulate our desires, whatever they may be so that we remain dignified and not become like animals.

The purpose of Marriage.

The word "zawj" is used in the Qur'an to mean a pair or a mate. In general it usage refers to marriage. The general purpose of marriage is that the sexes can provide company to one another, love to one another, procreate children and live in peace and tranquility to the commandments of Allah.

* Marriage serves as a means to emotional and sexual gratification and as a means of tension reduction. It is also a form of Ibadah because it is obeying Allah and his messenger - i.e. Marriage is seen as the only possible way for the sexes to unite. One could choose to live in sin, however by choosing marriage one is displaying obedience to Allah.

Marriage is "mithaq" - a solemn covenant (agreement). It is not a matter which can be taken lightly. It should be entered into with total commitment and full knowledge of what it involves. It is not like buying a new dress where you can exchange it if you don't like it. Your partner should be your choice for life. One should be mature enough to understand the demands of marriage so that the union can be a lasting one. For a marriage to be valid certain conditions must be met.

1) consent of both parties.

2) " Mahr" a gift from the groom to his bride.

3) Witnesses- 2 male or female.

4) The marriage should be publicized, it should never be kept secret as it leads to suspicion and troubles within the community.

Is Marriage obligatory?

According to Imams Abu Hanifah, Ahmad ibn Hanbal and Malik ibn Anas, marriage is recommendatory, however in certain individuals it becomes wajib/obligatory. Imam Shaafi'i considers it to be nafl or mubah (preferable). The general opinion is that if a person, male or female fears that if he/she does not marry they will commit fornication, then marriage becomes "wajib". If a person has strong sexual urges then it becomes "wajib" for that person to marry. Marriage should not be put off or delayed especially if one has the means to do so.

A man, however should not marry if he or she does not possess the means to maintain a wife and future family, or if he has no sex drive or if dislikes children, or if he feels marriage will seriously affect his religious obligation.

The general principle is that prophet (pbuh) enjoined up in the followers to marry.

He said "when a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion , so let him fear Allah regarding the remaining half." This hadith is narrated by Anas. Islam greatly encourages marriage because it shields one from and upholds the family unit which Islam places great importance.

Selection of a partner:

The choice of a partner should be the one with the most "taqwa" (piety). The prophet recommended the suitors see each other before going through with marriage. It is unreasonable for two people to be thrown together and be expected to relate and be intimate when they know nothing of each other. The couple are permitted to look at each other with a critical eye and not a lustful one. This ruling does not contradict the ayah which says that believing men and women should lower their gaze.

- The couple, however are not permitted to be alone in a closed room or go out together alone. As the hadith says "when a man and a woman are together alone, there is a third presence i.e. shaitan.

- There is no concept of courtship in Islam as it is practised in the west. There is no dating or living in defacto relationship or trying each other out before they commit to each other seriously. There is to be no physical relationship what so ever before marriage. The romantic notions that young people often have, have proven in most cases to be unrealistic and harmful to those involved. We only have to look at the alarming divorce rate in the west to understand this point. e.g. the couple know each other for years, are intimate, live together and so on yet somehow this does not guarantee the success of the future marriage. Romance and love simply do not equal a everlasting bond between two people.

Fact: Romance and love die out very quickly when we have to deal in the real world. The unrealistic expectations that young people have is what often contributes to the failure of their relationship.

- The west make fun of the Islamic way of marriage in particular arranged marriage, yet the irony is that statistically arranged marriages prove to be more successful and lasting than romantic types of courtship.

This is because people are blinded by the physical attraction and thus do not choose the compatible partner.

Love blinds people to potential problems in the relationship. There is an Arabic saying: which says "the mirror of love is blind, it makes zucchini into okra". Arranged marriages on the other hand, are based not on physical attraction or romantic notions but rather on critical evaluation of the compatibility of the couple.

This is why they often prove successful.

Consent of parties.

There is a halal arranged marriage and a haram one. It is OK to arrange marriages by suggestion and recommendation as long as both parties are agreeable. The other arranged marriage is when parents choose the future spouse and the couple concerned are forced or have no choice in the matter.

One of the conditions of a valid marriage is consent of the couple.

Marriage by definition is a voluntary union of two people.

The choice of a partner by a Muslim virgin girl is subject to the approval of the father or guardian under Maliki school. This is to safeguard her welfare and interests. The prophet said "the widow and the divorced woman shall not be married until she has consented and the virgin shall not be married until her consent is obtained. The prophet did revoke the marriage of a girl who complained to him that her father had married her against her wishes.

The husband/wife relationship.

-The wifes rights - the Husbands obligations.

(1) Maintenance

The husband is responsible for the wifes maintenance. This right is established by authority of the Qur'an and the sunnah. It is inconsequen tial whether the wife is a Muslim , non-Muslim, rich, poor, healthy or sick. A component of his role as "qawam" (leader) is to bear the financial responsibility of the family in a generous way so that his wife may be assured security and thus perform her role devotedly.

The wifes maintenance entails her right to lodging, clothing, food and general care, like medication, hospital bills etc. He must lodge her where he resides himself according to his means. The wifes lodge must be adequate so as to ensure her privacy, comfort and independence.

If a wife has been used to a maid or is unable to attend to her household duties, it is the husbands duty to provide her with a maid if he can afford to do so. The prophet is reported to have said: The best Muslim is one who is the best husband.

(2) "Mahr "

The wife is entitled to a marriage gift that is her own. This may be prompt or deferred depending on the agreement between the parties. A marriage is not valid without mahr. It does not have to be money or gold. It can be non-material like teaching her to read the Qur'an. " Mahr" is a gift from the groom to the bride. This is the Islamic law, unlike some cultures whereby the brides parents pay the future husband to marry the daughter. This practice degrades women and is contrary to the spirit of Islam. There is no specification in the Qur'an as to what or how much the Mahr has to be. It depends on the parties involved.

(3) Non-material rights.

A husband is commanded by the law of Allah to treat his wife with equity, respect her feelings and show kindness and consideration, especially if he has another wife. The prophet last sermon stresses kindness to women.

The wife obligations - the Husbands rights.

One of the main duties of the wife is to contribute to the success and blissfulness of the marriage. She must be attentive to the comfort and wellbeing of her husband. The Qur'anic ayah which illustrates this point is:

"Our lord, grant us wives and offspring who will be the apples of our eyes and guide us to be models for the righteous"

The wife must be faithful, trustworthy and honest she must not deceive her husband by deliberately avoiding contraception. She must not allow any other person to have access to that which is exclusively the husband right i.e. sexual intimacy. She must not receive or entertain strange males in the house without his knowledge and consent. She should not be alone with a strange male. She should not accept gifts from other men without his approval. This is meant to avoid jealousy, suspicion and gossip. The husband possessions are her trust. She may not dispose of his belongings without his permission.

A wife should make
herself sexually attractive to her husband and be responsive to his advances. The wife must not refuse her husband sexually as this can lead to marital problems and worse still - tempt the man to adultery. The husband of course should take into account the wifes health and general consideration should be given.

Obedience.

The purpose of obedience in the relationship is to keep the family unit running as smoothly as possible. The man has been given the right to be obeyed because he is the leader and not because he is superior. If a leader is not obeyed , his leadership will become invalid -Imagine a king or a teacher or a parent without the necessary authority which has been entrusted to them.

Obedience does not mean blind obedience. It is subject to conditions:

(a) It is required only if what is asked from the wife is within the permissible categories of action.

(b) It must be maintained only with regard to matters that fall under the husband rights.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2008
@mukina

Jazhakullah Khairan for that post
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 8:47pm On Jan 05, 2008
Babs grin

nor mind me o

i will post on polygamy later cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2008
next week is [size=28pt]MUHARRAM[/size] cool cool
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dragnet: 10:25am On Jan 06, 2008
babs787, JazakaLLAHU khairan.
Mustay, sure!
Happy Hijrah 2 all !! cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by dragnet: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2008
babs787, JazakaLLAHU khairan.
Mustay, sure!
Happy Hijrah 2 all !! cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by cushman(m): 11:17am On Jan 06, 2008
Selected Hadith : Sahih Bukhari.
Book : 89. Judgments (Ahkaam).

089 : 251 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever obeys me, obeys Allah, and whoever disobeys me, disobeys Allah, and whoever obeys the ruler I appoint, obeys me, and whoever disobeys him, disobeys me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
089 : 252 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

Allah's Apostle said, "Surely! Everyone of you is a guardian and is responsible for his charges: The Imam (ruler) of the people is a guardian and is responsible for his subjects; a man is the guardian of his family (household) and is responsible for his subjects; a woman is the guardian of her husband's home and of his children and is responsible for them; and the slave of a man is a guardian of his master's property and is responsible for it. Surely, everyone of you is a guardian and responsible for his charges."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
089 : 253 : Narrated By Muhammad bin Jubair bin Mut'im

That while he was included in a delegation of Quraish staying with Muawiya, Muawiya heard that 'Abdullah bin 'Amr had said that there would be a king from Qahtan tribe, whereupon he became very angry. He stood up, and after glorifying and praising Allah as He deserved, said, "To proceed, I have come to know that some of you men are narrating things which are neither in Allah's Book, nor has been mentioned by Allah's Apostle. Such people are the ignorant among you. Beware of such vain desires that mislead those who have them. I have heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'This matter (of the caliphate) will remain with the Quraish, and none will rebel against them, but Allah will throw him down on his face as long as they stick to the rules and regulations of the religion (Islam).'"

089 : 254 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

Allah's Apostle said, "This matter (caliphate) will remain with the Quraish even if only two of them were still existing."

089 : 255 : Narrated By 'Abdullah

Allah's Apostle said, "Do not wish to be like anyone, except in two cases: (1) A man whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it righteously. (2) A man whom Allah has given wisdom (knowledge of the Quran and the Hadith) and he acts according to it and teaches it to others."

089 : 256 : Narrated By Anas bin Malik

Allah's Apostle said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

089 : 257 : Narrated By Ibn 'Abbas

The Prophet said, "If somebody sees his Muslim ruler doing something he disapproves of, he should be patient, for whoever becomes separate from the Muslim group even for a span and then dies, he will die as those who died in the Pre-lslamic period of ignorance (as rebellious sinners). (See Hadith No. 176 and 177)

089 : 258 : Narrated By 'Abdullah

The Prophet said, "A Muslim has to listen to and obey (the order of his ruler) whether he likes it or not, as long as his orders involve not one in disobedience (to Allah), but if an act of disobedience (to Allah) is imposed one should not listen to it or obey it. (See Hadith No. 203, Vol. 4)

089 : 259 : Narrated By 'Ali

The Prophet sent an army unit (for some campaign) and appointed a man from the Ansar as its commander and ordered them (the soldiers) to obey him. (During the campaign) he became angry with them and said, "Didn't the Prophet order you to obey me?" They said, "Yes." He said, "I order you to collect wood and make a fire and then throw yourselves into it." So they collected wood and made a fire, but when they were about to throw themselves into, it they started looking at each other, and some of them said, "We followed the Prophet to escape from the fire. How should we enter it now?" So while they were in that state, the fire extinguished and their commander's anger abated. The event was mentioned to the Prophet and he said, "If they had entered it (the fire) they would never have come out of it, for obedience is required only in what is good." (See Hadith No. 629. Vol. 5)

089 : 260 : Narrated By 'Abdur-Rahman bin Samura

The Prophet said, "O 'Abdur-Rahman! Do not seek to be a ruler, for if you are given authority on your demand then you will be held responsible for it, but if you are given it without asking (for it), then you will be helped (by Allah) in it. If you ever take an oath to do something and later on you find that something else is better, then you should expiate your oath and do what is better."

089 : 261 : Narrated By 'Abdur-Rahman bin Samura

Allah's Apostle said, "O 'Abdur-Rahman bin Samura! Do not seek to be a ruler, for if you are given authority on your demand, you will be held responsible for it, but if you are given it without asking for it, then you will be helped (by Allah) in it. If you ever take an oath to do something and later on you find that something else is better, then do what is better and make expiation for your oath."

089 : 262 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "You people will be keen to have the authority of ruling which will be a thing of regret for you on the Day of Resurrection. What an excellent wet nurse it is, yet what a bad weaning one it is!"

089 : 263 : Narrated By Abu Musa

Two men from my tribe and I entered upon the Prophet. One of the two men said to the Prophet, "O Allah's Apostle! Appoint me as a governor," and so did the second. The Prophet said, "We do not assign the authority of ruling to those who ask for it, nor to those who are keen to have it."

089 : 264 : Narrated By Ma'qil

I heard the Prophet saying, "Any man whom Allah has given the authority of ruling some people and he does not look after them in an honest manner, will never feel even the smell of Paradise."

089 : 265 : Narrated By Ma'qil

Allah's Apostle said, "If any ruler having the authority to rule Muslim subjects dies while he is deceiving them, Allah will forbid Paradise for him."

089 : 266 : Narrated By Tarif Abi Tamima

I saw Safwan and Jundab and Safwan's companions when Jundab was advising. They said, "Did you hear something from Allah's Apostle?" Jundab said, "I heard him saying, 'Whoever does a good deed in order to show off, Allah will expose his intentions on the Day of Resurrection (before the people), and whoever puts the people into difficulties, Allah will put him into difficulties on the Day of Resurrection.'" The people said (to Jundab), "Advise us." He said, "The first thing of the human body to purify is the abdomen, so he who can eat nothing but good food (Halal and earned lawfully) should do so, and he who does as much as he can that nothing intervene between him and Paradise by not shedding even a handful of blood, (i.e. murdering) should do so."

089 : 267 : Narrated By Anas bin Malik

Apostle." The Prophet said, "You will be with the one whom you love."

089 : 268 : Narrated By Thabit Al-Bunani

Anas bin Malik said to a woman of his family, "Do you know such-and-such a woman?" She replied, "Yes." He said, "The Prophet passed by her while she was weeping over a grave, and he said to her, 'Be afraid of Allah and be patient.' The woman said (to the Prophet). 'Go away from me, for you do not know my calamity.'" Anas added, "The Prophet left her and proceeded. A man passed by her and asked her, 'What has Allah's Apostle said to you?' She replied, 'I did not recognize him.' The man said, 'He was Allah's Apostle."' Anas added, "So that woman came to the gate of the Prophet and she did not find a gate-keeper there, and she said, 'O Allah's Apostle! By Allah. I did not recognize you!' The Prophet said, 'No doubt, patience is at the first stroke of a calamity.'"

089 : 269 : Narrated By Anas

Qais bin Sa'd was to the Prophet like a chief police officer to an Amir (chief).

089 : 270 : Narrated By Abu Musa

That the Prophet sent him and sent Mu'adh after him (as rulers to Yemen).

089 : 271 : Narrated By Abu Musa

A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism. Mu'adh bin Jabal came and saw the man with Abu Musa. Mu'adh asked, "What is wrong with this (man)?" Abu Musa replied, "He embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism." Mu'adh said, "I will not sit down unless you kill him (as it is) the verdict of Allah and His Apostle.

089 : 272 : Narrated By 'Abdur Rahman bin Abi Bakra

Abu Bakra wrote to his son who was in Sijistan: 'Do not judge between two persons when you are angry, for I heard the Prophet saying, "A judge should not judge between two persons while he is in an angry mood."

089 : 273 : Narrated By Abu Mas'ud Al-Ansari

A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! By Allah, I fail to attend the morning congregational prayer because so-and-so (i.e., Muadh bin Jabal) prolongs the prayer when he leads us for it." I had never seen the Prophet more furious in giving advice than he was on that day. He then said, "O people! some of you make others dislike (good deeds, i.e. prayers etc). So whoever among you leads the people in prayer, he should shorten it because among them there are the old, the weak and the busy (needy having some jobs to do). (See Hadith No. 90, Vol. 1)

089 : 274 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

That he had divorced his wife during her menses. 'Umar mentioned that to the Prophet. Allah's Apostle became angry and said, "He must take her back (his wife) and keep her with him till she becomes clean from her menses and then to wait till she gets her next period and becomes clean again from it and only then, if he wants to divorce her, he may do so."

089 : 275 : Narrated By 'Aisha

Hind bint 'Utba bin Rabia came and said. "O Allah's Apostle! By Allah, there was no family on the surface of the earth, I like to see in degradation more than I did your family, but today there is no family on the surface of the earth whom I like to see honored more than yours." Hind added, "Abu Sufyan is a miser. Is it sinful of me to feed our children from his property?" The Prophet said, "There is no blame on you if you feed them (thereof) in a just and reasonable manner.

089 : 276 : Narrated By Anas bin Malik

When the Prophet intended to write to the Byzantines, the people said, "They do not read a letter unless it is sealed (stamped)." Therefore the Prophet took a silver ring, as if I am looking at its glitter now, and its engraving was: "Muhammad, Apostle of Allah."

089 : 277 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin As-Sa'di

That when he went to 'Umar during his Caliphate. 'Umar said to him, "Haven't I been told that you do certain jobs for the people but when you are given payment you refuse to take it?" 'Abdullah added: I said, "Yes." 'Umar said, "Why do you do so?" I said, "I have horses and slaves and I am living in prosperity and I wish that my payment should be kept as a charitable gift for the Muslims." 'Umar said, "Do not do so, for I intended to do the same as you do. Allah's Apostles used to give me gifts and I used to say to him, 'Give it to a more needy one than me.' Once he gave me some money and I said, 'Give it to a more needy person than me,' whereupon the Prophet said, 'Take it and keep it in your possession and then give it in charity. Take what ever comes to you of this money if you are not keen to have it and not asking for it; otherwise (i.e., if it does not come to you) do not seek to have it yourself.'"
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: I have heard 'Umar saying, "The Prophet used to give me some money (grant) and I would say (to him), 'Give it to a more needy one than me.' Once he gave me some money and I said, 'Give it to a more needy one than me.' The Prophet said (to me), 'Take it and keep it in your possession and then give it in charity. Take whatever comes to you of this money while you are not keen to have it and not asking for it; take it, but you should not seek to have what you are not given.'"

089 : 278 : Narrated By Sahl bin Sa'd

I witnessed a husband and a wife who were involved in a case of Lian. Then (the judgment of) divorce was passed. I was fifteen years of age, at that time.

089 : 279 : Narrated By Sahl

(The brother of Bani Sa'ida) A man from the Ansar came to the Prophet and said, "If a man finds another man sleeping with his wife, should he kill him?" That man and his wife then did Lian in the mosque while I was present.

089 : 280 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

A man came to Allah's Apostle while he was in the mosque, and called him, saying, "O Allah's Apostle! I have committed illegal sexual intercourse." The Prophet turned his face to the other side, but when the man gave four witnesses against himself, the Prophet said to him, "Are you mad?" The man said, "No." So the Prophet said (to his companions), "Take him away and stone him to death."

089 : 281 : Narrated By Um Salama

Allah's Apostle said, "I am only a human being, and you people (opponents) come to me with your cases; and it may be that one of you can present his case eloquently in a more convincing way than the other, and I give my verdict according to what I hear. So if ever I judge (by error) and give the right of a brother to his other (brother) then he (the latter) should not take it, for I am giving him only a piece of Fire." (See Hadith No. 638, Vol. 3).

089 : 282 : Narrated By Abu Qatada

Allah's Apostle said on the Day of (the battle of) Hunain, "Whoever has killed an infidel and has a proof or a witness for it, then the salb (arms and belongings of that deceased) will be for him." I stood up to seek a witness to testify that I had killed an infidel but I could not find any witness and then sat down. Then I thought that I should mention the case to Allah's Apostle I (and when I did so) a man from those who were sitting with him said, "The arms of the killed person he has mentioned, are with me, so please satisfy him on my behalf." Abu Bakr said, "No, he will not give the arms to a bird of Quraish and deprive one of Allah's lions of it who fights for the cause of Allah and His Apostle." Allah's Apostle I stood up and gave it to me, and I bought a garden with its price, and that was my first property which I owned through the war booty.
The people of Hijaz said, "A judge should not pass a judgment according to his knowledge, whether he was a witness at the time he was the judge or before that" And if a litigant gives a confession in favor of his opponent in the court, in the opinion of some scholars, the judge should not pass a judgment against him till the latter calls two witnesses to witness his confession. And some people of Iraq said, "A judge can pass a judgement according to what he hears or witnesses (the litigant's confession) in the court itself, but if the confession takes place outside the court, he should not pass the judgment unless two witnesses witness the confession." Some of them said, "A judge can pass a judgement depending on his knowledge of the case as he is trust-worthy, and that a witness is Required just to reveal the truth. The judge's knowledge is more than the witness." Some said, "A judge can judge according to his knowledge only in cases involving property, but in other cases he cannot." Al-Qasim said, "A judge ought not to pass a judgment depending on his knowledge if other people do not know what he knows, although his knowledge is more than the witness of somebody else because he might expose himself to suspicion by the Muslims and cause the Muslims to have unreasonable doubt."

089 : 283 : Narrated By 'Ali bin Husain

Safiya bint (daughter of) Huyai came to the Prophet (in the mosque), and when she returned (home), the Prophet accompanied her. It happened that two men from the Ansar passed by them and the Prophet called them saying, "She is Safiya!" those two men said, "Subhan Allah!" The Prophet said, "Satan circulates in the human body as blood does."

089 : 284 : Narrated By Abu Burda

The Prophet sent my father and Mu'adh bin Jabal to Yemen and said (to them), "Make things easy for the people and do not put hurdles in their way, and give them glad tiding, and don't let them have aversion (i.e. to make people to hate good deeds) and you both should work in cooperation and mutual understanding" Abu Musa said to Allah's Apostle, "In our country a special alcoholic drink called Al-Bit', is prepared (for drinking)." The Prophet said, "Every intoxicant is prohibited."

089 : 285 : Narrated By Abu Musa

The Prophet said, "Set free the captives and accept invitations."

089 : 286 : Narrated By Abu Humaid Al-Sa'idi

The Prophet appointed a man from the tribe of Bani Asad, called Ibn Al-Utabiyya to collect the Zakat. When he returned (with the money) he said (to the Prophet), "This is for you and this has been given to me as a gift." The Prophet stood up on the pulpit (Sufyan said he ascended the pulpit), and after glorifying and praising Allah, he said, "What is wrong with the employee whom we send (to collect Zakat from the public) that he returns to say, 'This is for you and that is for me?' Why didn't he stay at his father's and mother's house to see whether he will be given gifts or not? By Him in Whose Hand my life is, whoever takes anything illegally will bring it on the Day of Resurrection by carrying it over his neck: if it is a camel, it will be grunting: if it is a cow, it will be mooing: and if it is a sheep it will be bleating!" The Prophet then raised both his hands till we saw the whiteness of his armpits (and he said), "No doubt! Haven't I conveyed Allah's Message?" And he repeated it three times.

089 : 287 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

Salim, the freed salve of Abu Hudhaifa used to lead in prayer the early Muhajirin (emigrants) and the companions of the Prophet in the Quba mosque. Among those (who used to pray behind him) were Abu Bakr, 'Umar, Abu Salama, and Amir bin Rabi'a.

089 : 288 : Narrated By 'Urwa bin Az-Zubair

Marwan bin Al-Hakam and Al-Miswar bin Makhrama told him that when the Muslims were permitted to set free the captives of Hawazin, Allah's Apostle said, "I do not know who amongst you has agreed (to it) and who has not. Go back so that your 'Urafa' may submit your decision to us." So the people returned and their 'Urafa' talked to them and then came back to Allah's Apostle and told him that the people had given their consent happily and permitted (their captives to be freed).

089 : 289 : Narrated By Muhammad bin Zaid bin Abdullah bin 'Umar

Some people said to Ibn 'Umar, "When we enter upon our ruler(s) we say in their praise what is contrary to what we say when we leave them." Ibn 'Umar said, "We used to consider this as hypocrisy."

089 : 290 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostles said, "The worst of all mankind is the double-faced one, who comes to some people with one countenance and to others, with another countenance."

089 : 291 : Narrated By 'Aisha

Hind (bint 'Utba) said to the Prophet "Abu Sufyan is a miserly man and I need to take some money of his wealth." The Prophet said, "Take reasonably what is sufficient for you and your children."

089 : 292 : Narrated By Um Salama

(The wife of the Prophet) Allah's Apostle heard some people quarreling at the door of his dwelling, so he went out to them and said, "I am only a human being, and litigants with cases of dispute come to me, and someone of you may happen to be more eloquent (in presenting his case) than the other, whereby I may consider that he is truthful and pass a judgment in his favor. If ever I pass a judgment in favor of somebody whereby he takes a Muslim's right unjustly, then whatever he takes is nothing but a piece of Fire, and it is up to him to take or leave."

089 : 293 : Narrated By 'Aisha

(The wife of the Prophet) 'Utba bin Abi Waqqas said to his brother Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas, "The son of the slave girl of Zam'a is from me, so take him into your custody." So in the year of Conquest of Mecca, Sa'd took him and said. (This is) my brother's son whom my brother has asked me to take into my custody." 'Abd bin Zam'a got up before him and said, (He is) my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on my father's bed." So they both submitted their case before Allah's Apostle. Sa'd said, "O Allah's Apostle! This boy is the son of my brother and he entrusted him to me." 'Abd bin Zam'a said, "This boy is my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on the bed of my father." Allah's Apostle said, "The boy is for you, O 'Abd bin Zam'a!" Then Allah's Apostle further said, "The child is for the owner of the bed, and the stone is for the adulterer," He then said to Sauda bint Zam'a, "Veil (screen) yourself before him," when he saw the child's resemblance to 'Utba. The boy did not see her again till he met Allah.

089 : 294 : Narrated By 'Abdullah

The Prophet said, "If somebody on the demand of a judge takes an oath to grab (a Muslim's) property and he is liar in it, he will meet Allah Who will be angry with him". So Allah revealed:
'Verily! those who purchase a small gain at the cost of Allah's Covenant and their oaths, ' (3.77) 'Al-Ashath came while Abdullah was narrating (this) to the people. Al-Ashath said, "This verse was revealed regarding me and another man with whom I had a quarrel about a well. The Prophet said (to me), "Do you have any evidence?' I replied, 'No.' He said, 'Let your opponent take an oath.' I said: I am sure he would take a (false) oath." Thereupon it was revealed: 'Verily! those who purchase a small gain at the cost of Allah's Covenant, ' (3.77) (See Hadith No. 72, Vol 6).

089 : 295 : Narrated By Um Salama

The Prophet heard the voices of some people quarreling near his gate, so he went to them and said, "I am only a human being and litigants with cases of disputes come to me, and maybe one of them presents his case eloquently in a more convincing and impressive way than the other, and I give my verdict in his favor thinking he is truthful. So if I give a Muslim's right to another (by mistake), then that (property) is a piece of Fire, which is up to him to take it or leave it." (See Hadith No. 281)

089 : 296 : Narrated By Jabir

The Prophet came to know that one of his companions had given the promise of freeing his slave after his death, but as he had no other property than that slave, the Prophet sold that slave for 800 dirhams and sent the price to him.

089 : 297 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

Allah's Apostle sent an army unit headed by Usama bin Zaid and the people criticized his leadership. The Prophet said (to the people), "If you are criticizing his leadership now, then you used to criticize his father's leadership before. By Allah, he (Usama's father) deserved the leadership and used to be one of the most beloved persons to me, and now his son (Usama) is one of the most beloved persons to me after him. " (See Hadith No. 745, Vol. 5)

089 : 298 : Narrated By 'Aisha

Allah's Apostle said, "The most hated person in the sight of Allah, is the most quarrelsome person."

089 : 299 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

The Prophet sent (an army unit under the command of) Khalid bin Al-Walid to fight against the tribe of Bani Jadhima and those people could not express themselves by saying, "Aslamna," but they said, "Saba'na! Saba'na! " Khalid kept on killing some of them and taking some others as captives, and he gave a captive to everyone of us and ordered everyone of us to kill his captive. I said, "By Allah, I shall not kill my captive and none of my companions shall kill his captive!" Then we mentioned that to the Prophet and he said, "O Allah! I am free from what Khalid bin Al-Walid has done," and repeated it twice.

089 : 300 : Narrated By Sahl bin Sa'd As-Saidi

There was some quarrel (sighting) among Bani 'Amr, and when this news reached the Prophet, he offered the Zuhr prayer and went to establish peace among them. In the meantime the time of 'Asr prayer was due, Bilal pronounced the Adhan and then the Iqama for the prayer and requested Abu Bakr (to lead the prayer) and Abu Bakr went forward. The Prophet arrived while Abu Bakr was still praying. He entered the rows of praying people till he stood behind Abu Bakr in the (first) row. The people started clapping, and it was the habit of Abu Bakr that whenever he stood for prayer, he never glanced side-ways till he had finished it, but when Abu Bakr observed that the clapping was not coming to an end, he looked and saw the Prophet standing behind him.
The Prophet beckoned him to carry on by waving his hand. Abu Bakr stood there for a while, thanking Allah for the saying of the Prophet and then he retreated, taking his steps backwards. When the Prophet saw that, he went ahead and led the people in prayer. When he finished the prayer, he said, "O Abu Bakr! What prevented you from carrying on with the prayer after I beckoned you to do so?" Abu Bakr replied, "It does not befit the son of Abi Quhafa to lead the Prophet in prayer." Then the Prophet said to the people, "If some problem arises during prayers, then the men should say, Subhan Allah!; and the women should clap." (See Hadith No. 652, Vol. 1)

089 : 301 : Narrated By Zaid bin Thabit

Abu Bakr sent for me owing to the large number of casualties in the battle of Al-Yamama, while 'Umar was sitting with him. Abu Bakr said (to me), 'Umar has come to my and said, 'A great number of Qaris of the Holy Quran were killed on the day of the battle of Al-Yamama, and I am afraid that the casualties among the Qaris of the Quran may increase on other battle-fields whereby a large part of the Quran may be lost. Therefore I consider it advisable that you (Abu Bakr) should have the Qur'an collected.' I said, 'How dare I do something which Allah's Apostle did not do?' 'Umar said, By Allah, it is something beneficial.' 'Umar kept on pressing me for that till Allah opened my chest for that for which He had opened the chest of 'Umar and I had in that matter, the same opinion as 'Umar had." Abu Bakr then said to me (Zaid), "You are a wise young man and we do not have any suspicion about you, and you used to write the Divine Inspiration for Allah's Apostle. So you should search for the fragmentary scripts of the Quran and collect it (in one Book)." Zaid further said: By Allah, if Abu Bakr had ordered me to shift a mountain among the mountains from one place to another it would not have been heavier for me than this ordering me to collect the Qur'an. Then I said (to 'Umar and Abu Bakr), "How can you do something which Allah's Apostle did not do?" Abu Bakr said, "By Allah, it is something beneficial." Zaid added: So he (Abu Bakr) kept on pressing me for that until Allah opened my chest for that for which He had opened the chests of Abu Bakr and 'Umar, and I had in that matter, the same opinion as theirs.
So I started compiling the Quran by collecting it from the leafless stalks of the date-palm tree and from the pieces of leather and hides and from the stones, and from the chests of men (who had memorized the Quran). I found the last verses of Sirat-at-Tauba: ("Verily there has come unto you an Apostle (Muhammad) from amongst yourselves, ' (9.128-129)) from Khuzaima or Abi Khuzaima and I added to it the rest of the Sura. The manuscripts of the Quran remained with Abu Bakr till Allah took him unto Him. Then it remained with 'Umar till Allah took him unto Him, and then with Hafsa bint 'Umar.

089 : 302 : Narrated By Abu Laila bin 'Abdullah bin Abdur-Rahman bin Sahl

Sahl bin Abi Hathma and some great men of his tribe said, 'Abdullah bin 'Sahl and Muhaiyisa went out to Khaibar as they were struck with poverty and difficult living conditions. Then Muhaiyisa was informed that Abdullah had been killed and thrown in a pit or a spring. Muhaiyisa went to the Jews and said, "By Allah, you have killed my companion." The Jews said, "By Allah, we have not killed him." Muhaiyisa then came back to his people and told them the story. He, his elder brother Huwaiyisa and 'Abdur-Rahman bin Sahl came (to the Prophet) and he who had been at Khaibar, proceeded to speak, but the Prophet said to Muhaiyisa, "The eldest! The eldest!" meaning, "Let the eldest of you speak." So Huwaiyisa spoke first and then Muhaiyisa. Allah's Apostle said, "The Jews should either pay the blood money of your (deceased) companion or be ready for war." After that Allah's Apostle wrote a letter to the Jews in that respect, and they wrote that they had not killed him. Then Allah's Apostle said to Huwaiyisa, Muhaiyisa and 'Abdur-Rahman, "Can you take an oath by which you will be entitled to take the blood money?" They said, "No." He said (to them), "Shall we ask the Jews to take an oath before you?" They replied, "But the Jews are not Muslims." So Allah's Apostle gave them one-hundred she-camels as blood money from himself. Sahl added: When those she-camels were made to enter the house, one of them kicked me with its leg.

089 : 303 : Narrated By Abu Huraira and Zaid bin Khalid Al-Juhani

A bedouin came and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Judge between us according to Allah's Book (Laws)." His opponent stood up and said, "He has said the truth, so judge between us according to Allah's Laws." The bedouin said, "My son was a laborer for this man and committed illegal sexual intercourse with his wife. The people said to me, 'Your son is to be stoned to death,' so I ransomed my son for one hundred sheep and a slave girl. Then I asked the religious learned men and they said to me, 'Your son has to receive one hundred lashes plus one year of exile.' " The Prophet said, "I shall judge between you according to Allah's Book (Laws)! As for the slave girl and the sheep, it shall be returned to you, and your son shall receive one-hundred lashes and be exiled for one year. O you, Unais!" The Prophet addressed some man, "Go in the morning to the wife of this man and stone her to death." So Unais went to her the next morning and stoned her to death.

089 : 304 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas

That Abu Sufyan bin Harb told him that Heraclius had called him along with the members of a Quraish caravan and then said to his interpreter, "Tell them that I want to ask this (Abu Sufyan) a question, and if he tries to tell me a lie, they should contradict him." Then Abu Sufyan mentioned the whole narration and said that Heraclius said to the inter Peter, "Say to him (Abu Sufyan), 'If what you say is true, then he (the Prophet) will take over the place underneath my two feet.'"

089 : 305 : Narrated By Abu Humaid As-Sa'idi

The Prophet employed Ibn Al-Utbiyya to collect Zakat from Bani Sulaim, and when he returned (with the money) to Allah's Apostle the Prophet called him to account, and he said, "This (amount) is for you, and this was given to me as a present." Allah's Apostle said, "Why don't you stay at your father's house or your mother's house to see whether you will be given gifts or not, if you are telling the truth?" Then Allah's Apostle stood up and addressed the people, and after glorifying and praising Allah, he said: Amma Ba'du (then after) I employ some men from among you for some job which Allah has placed in my charge, and then one of you comes to me and says, 'This (amount) is for you and this is a gift given to me.' Why doesn't he stay at the house of his father or the house of his mother and see whether he will be given gifts or not if he was telling the truth by Allah, none of you takes anything of it (i.e., Zakat) for himself (Hisham added: unlawfully) but he will meet Allah on the Day of Resurrection carrying it on his neck! I do not want to see any of you carrying a grunting camel or a mooing cow or a bleating sheep on meeting Allah." Then the Prophet raised both his hands till I saw the whiteness of his armpits, and said, "(No doubt)! Haven't I conveyed Allah's Message!"

089 : 306 : Narrated By Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri

The Prophet said, "Allah never sends a prophet or gives the Caliphate to a Caliph but that he (the prophet or the Caliph) has two groups of advisors: A group advising him to do good and exhorts him to do it, and the other group advising him to do evil and exhorts him to do it. But the protected person (against such evil advisors) is the one protected by Allah.'"

089 : 307 : Narrated By 'Ubada bin As-Samit

We gave the oath of allegiance to Allah's Apostle that we would listen to and obey him both at the time when we were active and at the time when we were tired and that we would not fight against the ruler or disobey him, and would stand firm for the truth or say the truth wherever we might be, and in the Way of Allah we would not be afraid of the blame of the blamers. (See Hadith No. 178 and 320)

089 : 308 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet went out on a cold morning while the Muhajirin (emigrants) and the Ansar were digging the trench. The Prophet then said, "O Allah! The real goodness is the goodness of the Here after, so please forgive the Ansar and the Muhajirin." They replied, "We are those who have given the Pledge of allegiance to Muhammad for to observe Jihad as long as we remain alive."

089 : 309 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

Whenever we gave the Pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle for to listen to and obey, he used to say to us, for as much as you can."

089 : 310 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Dinar

I witnessed Ibn 'Umar when the people gathered around 'Abdul Malik. Ibn 'Umar wrote: I gave the Pledge of allegiance that I will listen to and obey Allah's Slave, 'Abdul Malik, Chief of the believers according to Allah's Laws and the Traditions of His Apostle as much as I can; and my sons too, give the same pledge.'

089 : 311 : Narrated By Jabir bin 'Abdullah

I gave the Pledge of allegiance to the Prophet that I would listen and obey, and he told me to add: 'As much as I can, and will give good advice to every Muslim.'

089 : 312 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Dinar

When the people took the oath of allegiance to 'Abdul Malik, 'Abdullah bin 'Umar wrote to him: "To Allah's Slave, 'Abdul Malik, Chief of the believers, I give the Pledge of allegiance that I will listen to and obey Allah's Slave, 'Abdul Malik, Chief of the believers, according to Allah's Laws and the Traditions of His Apostle in whatever is within my ability; and my sons too, give the same pledge."

089 : 313 : Narrated By Yazid

I said to Salama, "For what did you give the Pledge of allegiance to the Prophet on the Day of Hudaibiya?" He replied, "For death."

089 : 314 : Narrated By Al-Miswar bin Makhrama

The group of people whom 'Umar had selected as candidates for the Caliphate gathered and consulted each other. Abdur-Rahman said to them, "I am not going to compete with you in this matter, but if you wish, I would select for you a caliph from among you." So all of them agreed to let 'Abdur-Rahman decide the case. So when the candidates placed the case in the hands of 'Abdur-Rahman, the people went towards him and nobody followed the rest of the group nor obeyed any after him. So the people followed 'Abdur-Rahman and consulted him all those nights till there came the night we gave the oath of allegiance to 'Uthman. Al-Miswar (bin Makhrama) added: 'Abdur-Rahman called on me after a portion of the night had passed and knocked on my door till I got up, and he said to me, "I see you have been sleeping! By Allah, during the last three nights I have not slept enough. Go and call Az-Zubair and Sa'd.' So I called them for him and he consulted them and then called me saying, 'Call 'Ali for me." I called 'Ali and he held a private talk with him till very late at night, and then 'Al, got up to leave having had much hope (to be chosen as a Caliph) but 'Abdur-Rahman was afraid of something concerning 'Ali. 'Abdur-Rahman then said to me, "Call 'Uthman for me." I called him and he kept on speaking to him privately till the Mu'adhdhin put an end to their talk by announcing the Adhan for the Fajr prayer. When the people finished their morning prayer and that (six men) group gathered near the pulpit, 'Abdur-Rahman sent for all the Muhajirin (emigrants) and the Ansar present there and sent for the army chief who had performed the Hajj with 'Umar that year. When all of them had gathered, 'Abdur-Rahman said, "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah," and added, "Now then, O 'Ali, I have looked at the people's tendencies and noticed that they do not consider anybody equal to 'Uthman, so you should not incur blame (by disagreeing)." Then 'Abdur-Rahman said (to 'Uthman), "I gave the oath of allegiance to you on condition that you will follow Allah's Laws and the traditions of Allah's Apostle and the traditions of the two Caliphs after him." So 'Abdur-Rahman gave the oath of allegiance to him, and so did the people including the Muhajirin (emigrants) and the Ansar and the chiefs of the army staff and all the Muslims.

089 : 315 : Narrated By Salama

We gave the oath of allegiance to the Prophet under the tree. He said to me, "O Salama! Will you not give the oath of allegiance?" I replied, "O Allah's Apostle! I have already given the oath of allegiance for the first time." He said, (Give it again) for the second time.

089 : 316 : Narrated By Jabir bin 'Abdullah

A bedouin gave the Pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle for Islam and the bedouin got a fever where upon he said to the Prophet "Cancel my Pledge." But the Prophet refused. He came to him (again) saying, "Cancel my Pledge.' But the Prophet refused. Then (the bedouin) left (Medina). Allah's Apostle said: "Medina is like a pair of bellows (furnace): It expels its impurities and brightens and clears its good."

089 : 317 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Hisham

Who was born during the lifetime of the Prophet that his mother, Zainab bint Humaid had taken him to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Take his Pledge of allegiance (for Islam)." The Prophet said, "He ('Abdullah bin Hisham) is a little child," and passed his hand over his head and invoked Allah for him. 'Abdullah bin Hisham used to slaughter one sheep as a sacrifice on behalf of all of his family.

089 : 318 : Narrated By Jabir bin 'Abdullah

A bedouin gave the Pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle for Islam. Then the bedouin got fever at Medina, came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Cancel my Pledge," But Allah's Apostle refused. Then he came to him (again) and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Cancel my Pledge." But the Prophet refused Then he came to him (again) and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Cancel my Pledge." But the Prophet refused. The bedouin finally went out (of Medina) whereupon Allah's Apostle said, "Medina is like a pair of bellows (furnace): It expels its impurities and brightens and clears its good.

089 : 319 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "There will be three types of people whom Allah will neither speak to them on the Day of Resurrection nor will purify them from sins, and they will have a painful punishment: They are, (1) a man possessed superfluous water (more than he needs) on a way and he withholds it from the travelers. (2) a man who gives a pledge of allegiance to an Imam (ruler) and gives it only for worldly benefits, if the Imam gives him what he wants, he abides by his pledge, otherwise he does not fulfill his pledge; (3) and a man who sells something to another man after the 'Asr prayer and swears by Allah (a false oath) that he has been offered so much for it whereupon the buyer believes him and buys it although in fact, the seller has not been offered such a price." (See Hadith No. 838, Vol. 3)

089 : 320 : Narrated By 'Ubada bin As-Samit

Allah's Apostle said to us while we were in a gathering, "Give me the oath (Pledge of allegiance for: (1) Not to join anything in worship along with Allah, (2) Not to steal, (3) Not to commit illegal sexual intercourse, (4) Not to kill your children, (5) Not to accuse an innocent person (to spread such an accusation among people), (6) Not to be disobedient (when ordered) to do good deeds. The Prophet added: Whoever amongst you fulfill his pledge, his reward will be with Allah, and whoever commits any of those sins and receives the legal punishment in this world for that sin, then that punishment will be an expiation for that sin, and whoever commits any of those sins and Allah does not expose him, then it is up to Allah if He wishes He will punish him or if He wishes, He will forgive him." So we gave the Pledge for that. (See Hadith No. 17, Vol. 1)

089 : 321 : Narrated By 'Aisha

The Prophet used to take the Pledge of allegiance from the women by words only after reciting this Holy Verse: (60.12) ", that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah." (60.12) And the hand of Allah's Apostle did not touch any woman's hand except the hand of that woman his right hand possessed. (i.e. his captives or his lady slaves).

089 : 322 : Narrated By Um Atiyya

We gave the Pledge of allegiance to the Prophet and he recited to me the verse (60.12). That they will not associate anything in worship with Allah (60.12). And he also prevented us from wailing and lamenting over the dead. A woman from us held her hand out and said, "Such-and-such a woman cried over a dead person belonging to my family and I want to compensate her for that crying" The Prophet did not say anything in reply and she left and returned. None of those women abided by her pledge except Um Sulaim, Um Al-'Ala', and the daughter of Abi Sabra, the wife of Al-Muadh or the daughter of Abi Sabra, and the wife of Mu'adh.

089 : 323 : Narrated By Jabir

A bedouin came to the Prophet and said, "Please take my Pledge of allegiance for Islam." So the Prophet took from him the Pledge of allegiance for Islam. He came the next day with a fever and said to the Prophet "Cancel my pledge." But the Prophet refused and when the bedouin went away, the Prophet said, "Medina is like a pair of bellows (furnace): It expels its impurities and brightens and clears its good."

089 : 324 : Narrated By Al-Qasim bin Muhammad

'Aisha said, "O my head!" Allah's Apostle said, "If that (i.e., your death) should happen while I am still alive, I would ask Allah to forgive you and would invoke Allah for you." 'Aisha said, "O my life which is going to be lost! By Allah, I think that you wish for my death, and if that should happen then you would be busy enjoying the company of one of your wives in the last part of that day." The Prophet said, "But I should say, 'O my head!' I feel like calling Abu Bakr and his son and appoint (the former as my successors lest people should say something or wish for something. Allah will insist (on Abu Bakr becoming a Caliph) and the believers will prevent (anyone else from claiming the Caliphate)," or ", Allah will prevent (anyone else from claiming the Caliphate) and the believers will insist (on Abu Bakr becoming the Caliph)."

089 : 325 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

It was said to 'Umar, "Will you appoint your successor?" Umar said, "If I appoint a Caliph (as my successor) it is true that somebody who was better than I (i.e., Abu Bakr) did so, and if I leave the matter undecided, it is true that somebody who was better than I (i.e., Allah's Apostle) did so." On this, the people praised him. 'Umar said, "People are of two kinds: Either one who is keen to take over the Caliphate or one who is afraid of assuming such a responsibility. I wish I could be free from its responsibility in that I would receive neither reward nor retribution I won't bear the burden of the caliphate in my death as I do in my life."

089 : 326 : Narrated By Anas bin Malik

That he heard 'Umar's second speech he delivered when he sat on the pulpit on the day following the death of the Prophet 'Umar recited the Tashahhud while Abu Bakr was silent. 'Umar said, "I wish that Allah's Apostle had outlived all of us, i.e., had been the last (to die). But if Muhammad is dead, Allah nevertheless has kept the light amongst you from which you can receive the same guidance as Allah guided Muhammad with that. And Abu Bakr is the companion of Allah's Apostle He is the second of the two in the cave. He is the most entitled person among the Muslims to manage your affairs. Therefore get up and swear allegiance to him." Some people had already taken the oath of allegiance to him in the shed of Bani Sa'ida but the oath of allegiance taken by the public was taken at the pulpit. I heard 'Umar saying to Abu Bakr on that day. "Please ascend the pulpit," and kept on urging him till he ascended the pulpit whereupon, all the people swore allegiance to him.

089 : 327 : Narrated By Jubair bin Mut'im

A woman came to the Prophet and spoke to him about something and he told her to return to him. She said, "O Allah's Apostle! If I come and do not find you?" (As if she meant, ", if you die?"wink The Prophet said, "If you should not find me, then go to Abu Bakr."

089 : 328 : Narrated By Tariq bin Shihab

Abu Bakr said to the delegate of Buzakha. "Follow the tails of the camels till Allah shows the Caliph (successor) of His Prophet and Al-Muhajirin (emigrants) something because of which you may excuse yourselves."

089 : 329 : Narrated By Jabir bin Samura

I heard the Prophet saying, "There will be twelve Muslim rulers (who will rule all the Islamic world)." He then said a sentence which I did not hear. My father said, "All of them (those rulers) will be from Quraish."

089 : 330 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, I was about to order for collecting fire wood and then order someone to pronounce the Adhan for the prayer and then order someone to lead the people in prayer and then I would go from behind and burn the houses of men who did not present themselves for the (compulsory congregational) prayer. By Him in Whose Hands my life is, if anyone of you had known that he would receive a bone covered with meat or two (small) pieces of meat present in between two ribs, he would come for 'Isha' prayer." (See Hadith No. 617, Vol. 1)

089 : 331 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Ka'b bin Malik

Who was Ka'b's guide from among his sons when Ka'b became blind: I heard Ka'b bin Malik saying, "When some people remained behind and did not join Allah's Apostle in the battle of Tabuk, " and then he described the whole narration and said, "Allah's Apostle forbade the Muslims to speak to us, and so we (I and my companions) stayed fifty nights in that state, and then Allah's Apostle announced Allah's acceptance of our repentance."

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by cushman(m): 11:27am On Jan 06, 2008
Selected Hadith : Sahih Bukhari.
Book : 2. Belief.

002 : 007 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.
2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.
3. To pay Zakat. (i.e. obligatory charity)
4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)
5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

002 : 008 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Faith (Belief) consists of more than sixty branches (i.e. parts). And Haya (This term "Haya" covers a large number of concepts which are to be taken together; amongst them are self respect, modesty, bashfulness, and scruple, etc.) is a part of faith."

002 : 009 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Amr

The Prophet said, "A Muslim is the one who avoids harming Muslims with his tongue and hands. And a Muhajir (emigrant) is the one who gives up (abandons) all what Allah has forbidden."

002 : 010 : Narrated By Abu Musa

Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? i.e. (Who is a very good Muslim)?" He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands."

002 : 011 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Amr

A man asked the Prophet , "What sort of deeds or (what qualities of) Islam are good?" The Prophet replied, 'To feed (the poor) and greet those whom you know and those whom you do not know' (See Hadith No. 27).

002 : 012 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself."

002 : 013 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, none of you will have faith till he loves me more than his father and his children."

002 : 014 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said "None of you will have faith till he loves me more than his father, his children and all mankind."

002 : 015 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said, "Whoever possesses the following three qualities will have the sweetness (delight) of faith:

1. The one to whom Allah and His Apostle becomes dearer than anything else.
2. Who loves a person and he loves him only for Allah's sake.
3. Who hates to revert to Atheism (disbelief) as he hates to be thrown into the fire."

002 : 016 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said, "Love for the Ansar is a sign of faith and hatred for the Ansar is a sign of hypocrisy."

002 : 017 : Narrated By 'Ubada bin As-Samit

Who took part in the battle of Badr and was a Naqib (a person heading a group of six persons), on the night of Al-'Aqaba pledge: Allah's Apostle said while a group of his companions were around him, "Swear allegiance to me for:

1. Not to join anything in worship along with Allah.
2. Not to steal.
3. Not to commit illegal sexual intercourse.
4. Not to kill your children.
5. Not to accuse an innocent person (to spread such an accusation among people).
6. Not to be disobedient (when ordered) to do good deed."
The Prophet added: "Whoever among you fulfills his pledge will be rewarded by Allah. And whoever indulges in any one of them (except the ascription of partners to Allah) and gets the punishment in this world, that punishment will be an expiation for that sin. And if one indulges in any of them, and Allah conceals his sin, it is up to Him to forgive or punish him (in the Hereafter)." 'Ubada bin As-Samit added: "So we swore allegiance for these." (points to Allah's Apostle)

002 : 018 : Narrated By Abu Said Al-Khudri

Allah's Apostle said, "A time will come that the best property of a Muslim will be sheep which he will take on the top of mountains and the places of rainfall (valleys) so as to flee with his religion from afflictions."

002 : 019 : Narrated By 'Aisha

Whenever Allah's Apostle ordered the Muslims to do something, he used to order them deeds which were easy for them to do, (according to their strength endurance). They said, "O Allah's Apostle! We are not like you. Allah has forgiven your past and future sins." So Allah's Apostle became angry and it was apparent on his face. He said, "I am the most Allah fearing, and know Allah better than all of you do."

002 : 020 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said, "Whoever possesses the following three qualities will taste the sweetness of faith:

1. The one to whom Allah and His Apostle become dearer than anything else.
2. Who loves a person and he loves him only for Allah's sake.
3. Who hates to revert to disbelief (Atheism) after Allah has brought (saved) him out from it, as he hates to be thrown in fire."

002 : 021 : Narrated By Abu Said Al-Khudri

The Prophet said, "When the people of Paradise will enter Paradise and the people of Hell will go to Hell, Allah will order those who have had faith equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed to be taken out from Hell. So they will be taken out but (by then) they will be blackened (charred). Then they will be put in the river of Haya' (rain) or Hayat (life) (the Narrator is in doubt as to which is the right term), and they will revive like a grain that grows near the bank of a flood channel. Don't you see that it comes out yellow and twisted."

002 : 022 : Narrated By Abu Said Al-Khudri

Allah's Apostle said, "While I was sleeping I saw (in a dream) some people wearing shirts of which some were reaching up to the breasts only while others were even shorter than that. Umar bin Al-Khattab was shown wearing a shirt that he was dragging." The people asked, "How did you interpret it? (What is its interpretation) O Allah's Apostle?" He (the Prophet) replied, "It is the Religion."

002 : 023 : Narrated By 'Abdullah (bin 'Umar)

Once Allah's Apostle passed by an Ansari (man) who was admonishing to his brother regarding Haya'. On that Allah's Apostle said, "Leave him as Haya' is a part of faith." (See Hadith No. cool

002 : 024 : Narrated By Ibn 'Umar

Allah's Apostle said: "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives an property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."

002 : 025 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle was asked, "What is the best deed?" He replied, "To believe in Allah and His Apostle (Muhammad). The questioner then asked, "What is the next (in goodness)? He replied, "To participate in Jihad (religious fighting) in Allah's Cause." The questioner again asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To perform Hajj (Pilgrim age to Mecca) 'Mubrur, (which is accepted by Allah and is performed with the intention of seeking Allah's pleasure only and not to show off and without committing a sin and in accordance with the traditions of the Prophet)."

002 : 026 : Narrated By Sa'd

Allah's Apostle distributed (Zakat) amongst (a group of) people while I was sitting there but Allah's Apostle left a man whom I thought the best of the lot. I asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Why have you left that person? By Allah I regard him as a faithful believer." The Prophet commented: "Or merely a Muslim." I remained quiet for a while, but could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. And then asked Allah's Apostle, "Why have you left so and so? By Allah! He is a faithful believer." The Prophet again said, "Or merely a Muslim." And I could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. Then the Prophet said, "O Sa'd! I give to a person while another is dearer to me, for fear that he might be thrown on his face in the Fire by Allah."

002 : 027 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Amr

A person asked Allah's Apostle . "What (sort of) deeds in or (what qualities of) Islam are good?" He replied, "To feed (the poor) and greet those whom you know and those whom you don't know."

002 : 028 : Narrated By Ibn 'Abbas

The Prophet said: "I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked, "Do they disbelieve in Allah?" (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, "They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, 'I have never received any good from you."

002 : 029 : Narrated By Al-Ma'rur

At Ar-Rabadha I met Abu Dhar who was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, "I abused a person by calling his mother with bad names." The Prophet said to me, 'O Abu Dhar! Did you abuse him by calling his mother with bad names You still have some characteristics of ignorance. Your slaves are your brothers and Allah has put them under your command. So whoever has a brother under his command should feed him of what he eats and dress him of what he wears. Do not ask them (slaves) to do things beyond their capacity (power) and if you do so, then help them.'"

002 : 030 : Narrated By Al-Ahnaf bin Qais

While I was going to help this man ('Ali Ibn Abi Talib), Abu Bakra met me and asked, "Where are you going?" I replied, "I am going to help that person." He said, "Go back for I have heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'When two Muslims fight (meet) each other with their swords, both the murderer as well as the murdered will go to the Hell-fire.' I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! It is all right for the murderer but what about the murdered one?' Allah's Apostle replied, "He surely had the intention to kill his companion."

002 : 031 : Narrated By 'Abdullah

When the following Verse was revealed: "It is those who believe and confuse not their belief with wrong (worshipping others besides Allah.)" (6:83), the companions of Allah's Apostle asked, "Who is amongst us who had not done injustice (wrong)?" Allah revealed: "No doubt, joining others in worship with Allah is a great injustice (wrong) indeed." (31.13)

002 : 032 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "The signs of a hypocrite are three:

1. Whenever he speaks, he tells a lie.
2. Whenever he promises, he always breaks it (his promise).
3. If you trust him, he proves to be dishonest. (If you keep something as a trust with him, he will not return it.)"

002 : 033 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Amr

The Prophet said, "Whoever has the following four (characteristics) will be a pure hypocrite and whoever has one of the following four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up.

1. Whenever he is entrusted, he betrays.
2. Whenever he speaks, he tells a lie.
3. Whenever he makes a covenant, he proves treacherous.
4. Whenever he quarrels, he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner."

002 : 034 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever establishes the prayers on the night of Qadr out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allah's rewards (not to show off) then all his past sins will be forgiven."

002 : 035 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "The person who participates in (Holy battles) in Allah's cause and nothing compels him to do so except belief in Allah and His Apostles, will be recompensed by Allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise (if he is killed in the battle as a martyr). Had I not found it difficult for my followers, then I would not remain behind any sariya going for Jihad and I would have loved to be martyred in Allah's cause and then made alive, and then martyred and then made alive, and then again martyred in His cause."

002 : 036 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said: "Whoever establishes prayers during the nights of Ramadan faithfully out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allah's rewards (not for showing off), all his past sins will be forgiven."

002 : 037 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever observes fasts during the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping to attain Allah's rewards, then all his past sins will be forgiven."

002 : 038 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights." (See Fath-ul-Bari, Page 102, Vol 1).

002 : 039 : Narrated By Al-Bara' (bin 'Azib)

When the Prophet came to Medina, he stayed first with his grandfathers or maternal uncles from Ansar. He offered his prayers facing Baitul-Maqdis (Jerusalem) for sixteen or seventeen months, but he wished that he could pray facing the Ka'ba (at Mecca). The first prayer which he offered facing the Ka'ba was the 'Asr prayer in the company of some people. Then one of those who had offered that prayer with him came out and passed by some people in a mosque who were bowing during their prayers (facing Jerusalem). He said addressing them, "By Allah, I testify that I have prayed with Allah's Apostle facing Mecca (Ka'ba).' Hearing that, those people changed their direction towards the Ka'ba immediately. Jews and the people of the scriptures used to be pleased to see the Prophet facing Jerusalem in prayers but when he changed his direction towards the Ka'ba, during the prayers, they disapproved of it.
Al-Bara' added, "Before we changed our direction towards the Ka'ba (Mecca) in prayers, some Muslims had died or had been killed and we did not know what to say about them (regarding their prayers.) Allah then revealed: And Allah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e. the prayers of those Muslims were valid).'" (2:143).

002 : 040 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "If any one of you improve (follows strictly) his Islamic religion then his good deeds will be rewarded ten times to seven hundred times for each good deed and a bad deed will be recorded as it is."

002 : 041 : Narrated By 'Aisha

Once the Prophet came while a woman was sitting with me. He said, "Who is she?" I replied, "She is so and so," and told him about her (excessive) praying. He said disapprovingly, "Do (good) deeds which is within your capacity (without being overtaxed) as Allah does not get tired (of giving rewards) but (surely) you will get tired and the best deed (act of Worship) in the sight of Allah is that which is done regularly."

002 : 042 : Narrated By Anas

The Prophet said, "Whoever said "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a barley grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said: "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a wheat grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said, "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of an atom will be taken out of Hell."

002 : 043 : Narrated By 'Umar bin Al-Khattab

Once a Jew said to me, "O the chief of believers! There is a verse in your Holy Book Which is read by all of you (Muslims), and had it been revealed to us, we would have taken that day (on which it was revealed as a day of celebration." 'Umar bin Al-Khattab asked, "Which is that verse?" The Jew replied, "This day I have perfected your religion For you, completed My favor upon you, And have chosen for you Islam as your religion." (5:3) 'Umar replied, "No doubt, we know when and where this verse was revealed to the Prophet. It was Friday and the Prophet was standing at 'Arafat (i.e. the Day of Hajj)"

002 : 044 : Narrated By Talha bin 'Ubaidullah

A man from Najd with unkempt hair came to Allah's Apostle and we heard his loud voice but could not understand what he was saying, till he came near and then we came to know that he was asking about Islam. Allah's Apostle said, "You have to offer prayers perfectly five times in a day and night (24 hours)." The man asked, "Is there any more (praying)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "No, but if you want to offer the Nawafil prayers (you can)." Allah's Apostle further said to him: "You have to observe fasts during the month of Ramad, an." The man asked, "Is there any more fasting?" Allah's Apostle replied, "No, but if you want to observe the Nawafil fasts (you can.)" Then Allah's Apostle further said to him, "You have to pay the Zakat (obligatory charity)." The man asked, "Is there any thing other than the Zakat for me to pay?" Allah's Apostle replied, "No, unless you want to give alms of your own." And then that man retreated saying, "By Allah! I will neither do less nor more than this." Allah's Apostle said, "If what he said is true, then he will be successful (i.e. he will be granted Paradise)."

002 : 045 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "(A believer) who accompanies the funeral procession of a Muslim out of sincere faith and hoping to attain Allah's reward and remains with it till the funeral prayer is offered and the burial ceremonies are over, he will return with a reward of two Qirats. Each Qirat is like the size of the (Mount) Uhud. He who offers the funeral prayer only and returns before the burial, will return with the reward of one Qirat only."

002 : 046 : Narrated By 'Abdullah

The Prophet said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (an evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." Narrated 'Ubada bin As-Samit: "Allah's Apostle went out to inform the people about the (date of the) night of decree (Al-Qadr) but there happened a quarrel between two Muslim men. The Prophet said, "I came out to inform you about (the date of) the night of Al-Qadr, but as so and so and so and so quarrelled, its knowledge was taken away (I forgot it) and maybe it was better for you. Now look for it in the 7th, the 9th and the 5th (of the last 10 nights of the month of Ramadan)."

002 : 047 : Narrated By Abu Huraira

One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." Then he further asked, "What is Ihsan (perfection)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you cannot achieve this state of devotion then you must consider that He is looking at you." Then he further asked, "When will the Hour be established?" Allah's Apostle replied, "The answerer has no better knowledge than the questioner. But I will inform you about its portents.

1. When a slave (lady) gives birth to her master.
2. When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah.
The Prophet then recited: "Verily, with Allah (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour, " (31. 34) Then that man (Gabriel) left and the Prophet asked his companions to call him back, but they could not see him. Then the Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." Abu 'Abdullah said: He (the Prophet) considered all that as a part of faith.

002 : 048 : Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas

I was informed by Abu Sufyan that Heraclius said to him, "I asked you whether they (followers of Muhammad) were increasing or decreasing. You replied that they were increasing. And in fact, this is the way of true Faith till it is complete in all respects. I further asked you whether there was anybody, who, after embracing his (the Prophets) religion (Islam) became displeased and discarded it. You replied in the negative, and in fact, this is (a sign of) true faith. When its delight enters the heart and mixes with them completely, nobody can be displeased with it."

002 : 049 : Narrated By An-Nu'man bin Bashir

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.

002 : 050 : Narrated By Abu Jamra

I used to sit with Ibn 'Abbas and he made me sit on his sitting place. He requested me to stay with him in order that he might give me a share from his property. So I stayed with him for two months. Once he told (me) that when the delegation of the tribe of 'Abdul Qais came to the Prophet, the Prophet asked them, "Who are the people (i.e. you)? (Or) who are the delegate?" They replied, "We are from the tribe of Rabi'a." Then the Prophet said to them, "Welcome! O people (or O delegation of 'Abdul Qais)! Neither will you have disgrace nor will you regret." They said, "O Allah's Apostle! We cannot come to you except in the sacred month and there is the infidel tribe of Mudar intervening between you and us. So please order us to do something good (religious deeds) so that we may inform our people whom we have left behind (at home), and that we may enter Paradise (by acting on them)." Then they asked about drinks (what is legal and what is illegal). The Prophet ordered them to do four things and forbade them from four things. He ordered them to believe in Allah Alone and asked them, "Do you know what is meant by believing in Allah Alone?" They replied, "Allah and His Apostle know better." Thereupon the Prophet said, "It means:

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.
2. To offer prayers perfectly.
3. To pay the Zakat (obligatory charity).
4. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.
5. And to pay Al-Khumus (one fifth of the booty to be given in Allah's Cause).
Then he forbade them four things, namely, Hantam, Dubba,' Naqir Ann Muzaffat or Muqaiyar; (These were the names of pots in which Alcoholic drinks were prepared) (The Prophet mentioned the container of wine and he meant the wine itself). The Prophet further said (to them): "Memorize them (these instructions) and convey them to the people whom you have left behind."

002 : 051 : Narrated By 'Umar bin Al-Khattab

Allah's Apostle said, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intention and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His Apostle, then his emigration was for Allah and His Apostle. And whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

002 : 052 : Narrated By Abu Mas'ud

The Prophet said, "If a man spends on his family (with the intention of having a reward from Allah) sincerely for Allah's sake then it is a (kind of) alms-giving in reward for him."

002 : 053 : Narrated By Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas

Allah's Apostle said, "You will be rewarded for whatever you spend for Allah's sake even if it were a morsel which you put in your wife's mouth."

002 : 054 : Narrated By Jarir bin Abdullah

I gave the pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle for the following:

1. Offer prayers perfectly.
2. Pay the Zakat. (obligatory charity)
3. And be sincere and true to every Muslim.

002 : 055 : Narrated By Ziyad bin'Ilaqa

I heard Jarir bin 'Abdullah (Praising Allah). On the day when Al-Mughira bin Shu'ba died, he (Jarir) got up (on the pulpit) and thanked and praised Allah and said, "Be afraid of Allah alone Who has none along with Him to be worshipped.(You should) be calm and quiet till the (new) chief comes to you and he will come to you soon. Ask Allah's forgiveness for your (late) chief because he himself loved to forgive others." Jarir added, "Amma badu (now then), I went to the Prophet and said, 'I give my pledge of allegiance to you for Islam." The Prophet conditioned (my pledge) for me to be sincere and true to every Muslim so I gave my pledge to him for this. By the Lord of this mosque! I am sincere and true to you (Muslims). Then Jarir asked for Allah's forgiveness and came down (from the pulpit).

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 8:16pm On Jan 06, 2008
Cush.

Jazakhullah Khairan wink

Salaam
today marking 9 years since our brutal war . for those that died, lost family members and where traumatised sad I am asking all of you in here to remember them in your prayers and help me recite Alqunut and Suratl Iklas and any other Du'ah . so that Allah will continue to grant them Janaat and grant peace and happiness to those still traumatised
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Mustay(m): 6:37am On Jan 07, 2008
mukina2:

Cush.

Jazakhullah Khairan wink

Salaam
today marking 9 years since our brutal war . for those that died, lost family members and where traumatised sad I am asking all of you in here to remember them in your prayers and help me recite Alqunut and Suratl Iklas and any other Du'ah . so that Allah will continue to grant them Janaat and grant peace and happiness to those still traumatised

and not forgetting also to recite AL-HAMDULILAH at least a 100x after each salat to thank HIM for the year going and the year coming.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2008
@Cushman

Oh no. You are just too much. May Allah continue to guide and bless and reward you abundantly.

Maa Salam

@Mukina

Salaam
today marking 9 years since our brutal war . for those that died, lost family members and where traumatised I am asking all of you in here to remember them in your prayers and help me recite Alqunut and Suratl Iklas and any other Du'ah . so that Allah will continue to grant them Janaat and grant peace and happiness to those still traumatised

I have done mine and will continue doing that for you, for muslims and non muslims so that they will see the light InSha Allah.

@Mustay

Happy Hijrah to you and all Muslims all over the world cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 07, 2008
Thanks to all of you who have been keeping this thread alive.

I want to ask a question.

Yesterday, was indeed a badgood day for me.

Someone very close to me lost control, i mean was paralysed for minutes.

What ayah or verse can we recite in cases like this before getting to an hospital.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by DisGuy: 4:05pm On Jan 07, 2008
I'll advise you to say ANY prayer you know or the first one that comes to you and take the person to hospital as fast as possible

is it epilepsy or something else? If it is google ways to care for people with it

If someone has a seizure

It would be helpful for friends and family to know what to do if you have a seizure.

If someone has a tonic-clonic seizure where they lose consciousness and have fits, remember to keep calm and check the time to monitor how long the seizure lasts. Protect them from injury by doing the following:

* ask onlookers to keep back
* loosen clothing or jewellery around their neck
* cushion their head
* move away anything that could cause injury
* don't put anything in their mouth

When the seizure stops, put the person on their side in the recovery position. After they re-gain consciousness, re-assure them and let them rest quietly in a safe place.

Don't try to move or restrain the person and don't give them anything to drink until they are fully conscious again. You should call an ambulance only if:

* it's the person's first seizure, the seizure lasts more than five minutes or longer than usual, (if you know how long the person's seizure usually lasts)
* the convulsions happen again without the person re-gaining consciousness
* the person injures themselves during the seizure
* they have trouble breathing afterwards

If someone has a seizure that doesn't involve the loss of consciousness:

* guide them away from any possible danger such as traffic if they are in the road
* talk to them calmly and re-assure them
* stay with them until they feel well again
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2008
Thanks very much Disguy

is it epilepsy or something else?

Not epilepsy. He slippped in a bathroom tub and hit his head against the wall.

Jazakhullah Khairan .Thanks again

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply)

Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / Where 2 Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix, Confirmed By The Quran Over 1400 Years Back / 10 Incredible Health Benefits Of Fasting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 424
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.