Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,382 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije (2237 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / "My Son Lost Because He's No Longer Catholic" - Pacquiao's Mother / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by DeepZone: 10:38pm On Aug 26, 2008
My son lost Olympics gold to racism, says Chukwumerije
From Alifa Daniel, Asst. Political Editor, Abuja

THE Beijing Olympics may have ended, but in Nigeria, a senator, who spent his funds to send his son on a six-month training across the world, Uche Chukwumerije, has fired a protest to the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) over the manner the boy was allegedly short-changed out of contention for a gold or silver medal in the sports. Chika, Senator Uche Chukwumerije's son, won a bronze medal.

See pictures and watch VIDEO of controversial Taekwondo fight between Chika Yagazie CHUKWUMERIJE and Alexandros NIKOLAIDIS of Greece.

advertisement
The senator in a letter to the President which he read to journalists in his office at the National Assembly, explained that beyond protesting the injustice done to his son, his action would alert the administrators of taekwondo and the Olympics of the imminent danger posed to the sport by poor officiating.

Alluding to a racial tendency on the part of the administrators, the senator said that his protest was intended to ensure that the presence of African athletes in future competitions will be treated with more respect. "Sports should be blind," he added.

He prayed the WTF president to replay the tape of this fight in any international sports channel and give the large international jury of Masters of Taekwondo an opportunity to appraise the fight and make their judgment, adding that such a jury with its experience and professionalism is more likely to deliver a merit and rule-driven verdict.

"I am compelled by the insensitivity which the dead ends of WTF official channels have offered to plead for justice and my fears about the deleterious effect of such deadness on the future of our Taekwondo sport to make this protest to you.

"The object of this petition is the poor officiating in the (Men's Over 80kg) quarter-final tournament between Nigeria (Chika Chukwumerije) and Greece (Alexandro Nicholaidias) on August 23 in 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing (Beijing Science and Technology University Gymnasium). The officiating was so flawed that the victor was robbed of victory, and the defeated awarded an unmerited victory.

"My locus standi: What, you may ask, is my rightful interest in this matter? I am a member of the Taekwondo family - a senior black belt, a promoter of taekwondo in Nigeria and the father of the short-changed player in this disputed contest, Chika Chukwumerije.

On the grounds for his protest, Chukwumerije noted the overlook of a punishable violation of contest rules by Alexandro of Greece. His words: "In the second round of the contest, Alexandro held Chika by his chest protector and attempted an ass kick on the head, apparently in a desperate bid to wipe off Chika's two-point lead. Holding an opponent while kicking is a punishable offence by Taekwondo rules. The referees overlooked the infraction. No point was deducted from Alexandro."

He urged the WTF president to watch the tape of the fight and judge for himself.

Other grounds he gave were: "The attempted ass kick by Alexandro totally missed Chika who successfully ducked. But the referees inexplicably awarded two marks to Alexandro and he levelled up with Chika's two-point lead.

* Denial of Chika's score - Almost immediately after this 2-2 score, Chika made a clear kick to Alexandro's chest. Inexplicably, the referees denied him the score.

* "Second unmerited award to Alexandro - Three seconds to the end of the round, the referees inexplicably gave one point to Alexandro, bringing the score to 3-2 in his favour. No kick, no punch to justify this score.

* "Deaf ears to our Constitutional Right to Hearing of our Appeal for a Review - In accordance with the rules, Chika's coach and the Nigerian Taekwondo leadership filed a protest to the Taekwondo supervisory board against the poor officiating. To underline the seriousness of Nigeria's concern for the stultifying effect of this level of refereeing on the future of Taekwondo, the top management of Nigeria's Olympic Sports Organisation (comprising Habu Gumel, Chairman of Nigeria Olympics Committee; Banji Oladapo, Secretary-General of the Committee, Alhaji Bappa, the Assistant Secretary-General, Patrick Ekeji, the Director-General of Sports Development in Nigeria, Nathaniel Nnaji, Chairman, Nigeria Taekwondo Association and my humble self) met the Chairman of Africa Taekwondo Union, General Fouli of Egypt, and re-emphasised our protest.

"We were told that the protest would be considered and a review was under way. The next shock, which hit us was a display on the television screen announcing a tournament for a third position and listing Chika Chukwumerije as a contestant. This meant that our protest received merely a nominal nod, but was never treated, unlike the protest by Britain in an earlier bout."

He further urged the WTF president to review the tapes and come to his own conclusion.

Chukwumerije went on: "From this account, the following observations are noteworthy: First, by fair officiating, this tournament should have ended 3-0 in favour of Chika Chukwumerije. The calculation is thus:- the three points given to Alexandro were unmerited gifts and therefore a nullity. On the other hand, Chika's three (3) points -- that is, the two (2) points acknowledged by the referees and the one (1) point denied by referees -- were clearly earned.

Secondly, the capricious behaviour of the judges was reflected in an unprecedented number of stoppages of the fight for consultations among the referees in the bout. As can be seen in the tape, "on three occasions, the referees stopped the fight and consulted among themselves, thereby giving a strong impression that they were unsure of their readings of the contest. Please compare the stoppages in this fight with referee interventions in all the other taekwondo fights in this Olympic Games."

Chukwumerije noted that Nigeria was bound to be demoralised, stressing that her only protection and assurance in the sport was the hope that taekwondo convention offers a level playing ground in competitions.

"This hope has now been severely undermined," the senator lamented, adding that "the international image of taekwondo may be soiled and its standing in the comity of world sports lowered by a growing impression of subjective and unpredictable commitment of our referees to the rules of the game.

He also averred that "the insensitivity of the Taekwondo Supervisory Board to genuine protests against provable acts of poor officiating in accordance with the rules encourages anti-compliance behaviour among practitioners. Compare the responses of the Supervisory Board to two protests -- Britain's and Nigeria's.

In an earlier bout (Women's Under 57kg Quarter Finals), the British coach angrily shot up from his seat like thunder bolt and protested in a loud voice against a case of poor officiating. He aggressively followed up after the contest with a strong protest to the board. The supervisory board reviewed the case, played back the tape in full view of the audience, and reversed the verdict of the judges.

In Nigeria's case, the Nigerian coach quietly waited like a law-abiding practitioner till the end of the bout to make his protest. Nigeria avoided violence of fist or body language. The supervisory board ignored our appeal and the review of the disputed contest did not take place. We gathered from the grapevine that the supervisory council was afraid that a second reversal of an unjustified verdict would be one too many and could deal embarrassing damage to the image of World Taekwondo Federation."

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/26/17.html
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by Mustay(m): 11:10pm On Aug 26, 2008
Uche did promise to win gold before departing. Is our federation taking this seriously?
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by DeepZone: 11:47pm On Aug 26, 2008
Who cares for taekwondo in Nigeria? i never knew Nigerians do that sports.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by SeanT21(f): 1:27am On Aug 27, 2008
WTF is Taekwando?
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by vichel(m): 2:30am On Aug 27, 2008
SeanT21:

WTF is Taekwando?
lmfao grin, not because of ur naivety of taekwando, but dat WTF actually means two things wink
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by davidif: 5:47am On Aug 27, 2008
I can't believe it!!!!!!!! i went to the same school with chika chukwumerije. unbelievable. wow, this is stunning, i cannot remember him ever doing taekwondo when he was in secondary school.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by ow11(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2008
You were too busy praying like other FUTO students ( them sabi pray for that school).
Friends have confirmed he was giving Taekwondo classes in FUTO new basketball court area.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by icemann(m): 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2008
Knew the Guy in school was a friend (though my Junior)
Very smart guy

Think he Graduated with a 2.1 in Mechanical Engineering
All his Siblings were into Taekwondo like him
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by rachie(f): 4:51pm On Aug 27, 2008
The judges can and do make mistakes. This lady had the GB team to put in a strong appeal for her. Maybe this guy didn't have the same kind of support i don't know.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/taekwondo/7578331.stm
Maybe they made a mistake in this guys case as well i don't know as i wasn't watching it. There have been a few cases this year where people have been complaining of unfair judging. I shouldn't laugh but i can see why maybe why that Cuban guy who kicked the ref was so angry now if he felt that the decision was unfair.
There is going to be some changes to how Tawkwondo is judged in the future.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/taekwondo/7581031.stm
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by dejahvu(m): 7:33pm On Aug 29, 2008
U people dont truly know him,
we went to the same school
Federal University Of Technology MInna.
He Graduated from Physics Computer/Electronics 2005 Set.
He served in Abuja, he was a good Taekwondo fighter back then.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by toluxa1(m): 5:00pm On Aug 30, 2008
Na big lie be that one oh. I am a student of FUT Minna. And I am very sure that guy didnt attend FUTMIN.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by Mustay(m): 5:42pm On Aug 30, 2008
How can you know everybody in school?

U be database?
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by toluxa1(m): 6:35pm On Aug 30, 2008
I dont need for personally know him. We talked about the Olympics alot in school and I'm sure if any of the Olympiads was an FUT student, it will be well known info in school. But nothing like that at all.
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by Vieira(m): 9:30pm On Aug 31, 2008
DeepZone:

Who cares for taekwondo in Nigeria? i never knew Nigerians do that sports.

You don't know much!

Tae Kwon Do has been in UI since the 1980's!!
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by TPS360: 5:31am On Sep 01, 2008
always blaming racism for everything,
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by vislabraye(m): 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2008
Is our Nigerian federation taking it seriously? Did we make appeal when we needed to??
Re: My Son Lost Olympics Gold To Racism, Says Chukwumerije by ow11(m): 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2008
dejahvu:

You people don't truly know him,
we went to the same school
Federal University Of Technology MInna.
He Graduated from Physics Computer/Electronics 2005 Set.
He served in Abuja, he was a good Taekwondo fighter back then.

You Are a LIAR!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

How To Win #100000000 Free On Bet9ja / Cristiano Ronaldo And Harry Maguire Fights / Arsenal To Sack Arsene Wenger, Carlo Ancelotti To Take Over?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.