Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:01 AM

Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York (11770 Views)

Keke NAPEP Driving On Pedestrain Bridge In Lagos / Rampaging Soldiers Burn BRT Buses In Lagos / Mysterious Winner Takes Earth Messages In Brazil, London And New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by hbrednic: 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2008
the king defected voluntarily,i will move down to idera to take over his thrown
i have been looking forward to having my own kingdom,now i have one on a plata of gold
pls somebody should give me the right direction to idera.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by princeonx: 5:07pm On Aug 29, 2008
Whats the big deal?

I'm also a king in my small village (kjahslkjhajshvlkxzj Very close to South West of North East Nigeria) but I won't have any problem doing that job! 90% of the Nigerians I know here are prince, chief, king etc
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by toshmann(m): 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2008
that oba deserves a national award. this is the kind of person i am ready to vote and indeed campaign for. we nigerians have no regard for humility and honesty. this oba will rather be a driver than drive his people to penury. i never knew that there are nigerian leaders like this.
humble. clean. not ashamed. not pompous. not greedy.
and from what people have written in this thread, we can now see why corruption thrives in our country. and why corruption can not reduce in nigeria until at least the next 100yrs. this is not a curse from toshmann but a simple statement of an existing fact. until this generation of nigerians, and the next generation after us have died, there will always be corruption. because we are sooooo corrupt in mind and in deed. we value corruption even in churches and other religious bodies. from the president to the pauper, corruption has eaten deep, so deep into us that sometimes i wonder if there has been a mutation in some gene in us that has been spread to all.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by tpia: 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2008
ANY TOWN OR VILLAGE THAT TELLS ME I HAVE TO BE THEIR OBA HAD BETTER UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF PART TIME OBASHIP.

I'm just kidding. I would turn them down flat.

nzeaji:

Maybe you see it from the New Zealand(ish) point of view (probably because you are there) but from the Nigerian point of view, it's just not done.

OBA========> DRIVER embarassed embarassed    NO!

well, its been done now. Change is good.

alabees:

ARE WILL STILL  AMAZING THAT OYINBO MEDIA WILL DO EVERYTHING TO RUBBISH AFRICAN CULTURES.

THEY MADE US TO BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING AFRICAN IS OBSOLETE, ARCHAIC AND PRIMITIVE.

ENGLISH IS A ONLY LANGUAGE OUR CHILDREN KNOW HOW TO SPEAK, LOOSE DRESSES ARE  THE ONLY DRESS OUR GIRLS KNOW TO WEAR, MR.BIGGS ARE THE FOOD OUR GENERATION KNOW HOW EAT.

EVERYTHING AFRICAN HAS BEEN DEFACED.

REPORTS THAT AN AFRICAN OBA WAS DRIVING COMMERCIAL BUS OVERSEAS IN ANOTHER WAY OF RUBBISHING AFRICAN ROYAL INSTITUTION. WE NEED TO DISCARD THIS INFORMATION.

I BELIEVE IT IS A FALLACY.

what on earth are you finding insulting about the article? It was written in a very fair and balanced way.

Must people always be so sensitive?

A-town:

Excuse me, eh eh   , Dual Citizenship!!!!!!!!!!!
He might be an Oba, There are different grades of kings, You have the major ones like benin,ife, sokoto whilst there are smaller kingdoms who have their own obas. It is not news. My friends dad is an Oba and he lives in lagos. He only goes to the kingdom on weekends. He was given the throne while he was working for an oil company and he kept his job!!! Theres no big deal in this

thank you!

This guy isnt the only Oba who lives elsewhere.

Must people be forced to stay somewhere they dont want to, and miss opportunities in life, all in the name of tradition?

How many of the people shouting on this thread, live in their villages?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by olaremint(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
well the king needs dollars dont u think?i dont blame the sharp guy,at least he aint ferrying drugs like most bigwigs do.make una leave the oliver twist bo grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by davidif: 11:01pm On Aug 29, 2008
ha ha ha, this is extremely hillarious, i was laughing so hard when i saw it in the library. Chai, what an indignation.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by naijaking1: 4:56am On Aug 30, 2008
What's the big deal?
An honest day's job for an honest day's pay.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by DeepZone: 6:39am On Aug 30, 2008
Is it not better than those Obas and ooni's involved in drug trafficking to maintain their high lifestyles? give kudos to the man jare, na tradition his children go chop?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by rubi(f): 12:11pm On Aug 30, 2008
This kind of behaviour is one thing that makes America great every hand is on desk working but in Nigeria everyone wants a collar white job and that is why Nigeria is not heading anywhere. Humility is the key to success and success makes a man proud Go Oba I admire your style make your dollar jare
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by lucabrasi(m): 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2008
personally,i believe just like a pastor,being a king is a much more serious responsibility that transcends financial gains,if he has accepted to be a king and really wants to help his people,he is better off being in the town or village he is meant to be ruling and then using his influence to bring development to the town,help the villagers,sending a couple of thousand dollars for development is not the same thing as acuallybeing there will he bring his chiefs over to the states as well?? or if there are urgent disputes they will have to stack up on fone cards and mtn or globacom to get the supposed king of a town its like pastor adeboye re settling in the states because he needs to work for money to help the church
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by U1(m): 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2008
Chai, what an indignation.

Which one concern "indignation" again?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by hayprof(m): 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2008
He acquired a Fresh Water well for his Community,,

What else ya'll want*

That's how he fends for Himself & his People!

:-)
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by oloto(m): 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2008
makes me remember the movie 'coming to america'
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by tpia: 7:16pm On Aug 30, 2008
na wa oh.

So the guy must remain stuck in his town while others are running away to better lives elsewhere. For what reason?

I'm sure many of the people he's ruling over, are probably permanently residing in some big city either in Nigeria or overseas.

So he should remain in the village and keep up with the monthly chicken sacrifices and mediating petty quarrels, which the elderly chiefs would be happy to do on his behalf?  Or just stay there growing a pot belly and accepting young girls who were kidnapped and forced to become palace wives who never wear clothes. Human rights violations.

Once again- nobody had better even so much as think about suggesting Obaship in my vicinity. I go just tell you say you never hear the oracle well- go back and open your ears properly.

I'm firmly of the opinion such things should be limited only to candidates over 60.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by lucabrasi(m): 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2008
i agree with the age restriction, but having said that,sticking with the villagers as you put it is the essence of being a traditional ruler, dyu know oba of benin will not leave benin till he leaves this world? that is the price to pay for being an oba,besides the state government pays them salaries based on what category of oba they are and sharp obas amongst them use their influence to shape political outcomes in their domains not necessarily rigging, they also attract development to their domains by giving chieftaincy titles to eminent ppl which comes with a hefty price tag plus developmental commitments from the recipients they also have the power most times to make eminent indigenes contribute for needed projects , chicken sacrifices and the likes happen only in the stone ages or smthing not the present day nigeria, the thing is that ppl have reduced the the whole thing to the mundane, imagine the ooni of ife who is supposed to be the spiritual head of the yoruba supporting one political party or governor over an

# opponent,hustling for oil blocks ,cotracts,allfin of oyo,the igwes e.t.c hustling for oil blocks, thats why they dont command any iota of respect, like the oba aderemis of yester years, the fact thathe has to send money to nigeria out of his own pocket to get a well fixed in his town shows he is not fully in touch because even if his towns ppl are mechanics and welders,a whole town will no be as impoverished to the extent of not being able to contribute a few hundreds of thousands naira
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by chase4(m): 6:54pm On Aug 31, 2008
How can some people even argue this ? Lucabrasi u go live long for being in touch with your Africanness. The actions of this irresponsible Oba has only
succeded in dragging our traditional institutions through the muds. The q.uestion should be, what does it mean to be an Oba ? What happens when the
roof of the house is not there ? And to think that he proudly talks about how he sent money for a borehole only shows how ignorant he is. SELFISH!!! I
can only bow my head in shame. It is also a pity that most of us dont know where to draw the line anymore.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by TPS360: 7:14pm On Aug 31, 2008
listen up, you can't stay in poverty because you are a "king", a kingdom of 20,000 people? , good job king , just wished he was doing something better. i guess what the reaction would have been if "the king" was a doctor,
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by chase4(m): 7:43pm On Aug 31, 2008
Let him resign and go fight the tiger or whatever it is he is doing in the US. Better still, let him take all his chiefs with him to the US and get all of

them "honest" jobs so that they will buld many many boreholes for his people. Bull*@**
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by 2sleek2NV(m): 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2008
@ funjoy na ifelodun LG u frm com,dats nice am frm d neighborin villa not as far as crossing 7 seas n rivers o. so dis guy na my person sef i no knw.

well its beta dan being jobless. part time obaship is d bomb o. i knw several of dem
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by romeo(m): 10:15pm On Aug 31, 2008
Oba no go chop sand !!! cheesy cheesy cheesy, Oba if the bus no be molue, carry go i dey your back!!
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by hannydarl(f): 1:24am On Sep 01, 2008
comming to america ;d
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by tpia: 2:22am On Sep 01, 2008
chase4:

How can some people even argue this ? Lucabrasi u go live long for being in touch with your Africanness. The actions of this irresponsible Oba has only
succeded in dragging our traditional institutions through the muds. The q.uestion should be, what does it mean to be an Oba ? What happens when the
roof of the house is not there ? And to think that he proudly talks about how he sent money for a borehole only shows how ignorant he is. SELFISH!!! I
can only bow my head in shame. It is also a pity that most of us don't know where to draw the line anymore.

Please continue bowing your head in shame. angry

maybe you should apply for his Oba position, since you can do better.

What's your original user name?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by DisGuy: 2:24am On Sep 01, 2008
lucabrasi:

i agree with the age restriction, but having said that,sticking with the villagers as you put it is the essence of being a traditional ruler, dyu know oba of benin will not leave benin till he leaves this world? that is the price to pay for being an oba,besides the state government pays them salaries based on what category of oba they are and sharp obas amongst them use their influence to shape political outcomes in their domains not necessarily rigging, they also attract development to their domains by giving chieftaincy titles to eminent people which comes with a hefty price tag plus developmental commitments from the recipients they also have the power most times to make eminent indigenes contribute for needed projects , chicken sacrifices and the likes happen only in the stone ages or smthing not the present day nigeria, the thing is that people have reduced the the whole thing to the mundane, imagine the ooni of ife who is supposed to be the spiritual head of the yoruba supporting one political party or governor over an

# opponent,hustling for oil blocks ,cotracts,allfin of oyo,the igwes e.t.c hustling for oil blocks, thats why they don't command any iota of respect, like the oba aderemis of yester years, t[b]he fact thathe has to send money to nigeria out of his own pocket to get a well fixed in his town shows he is not fully in touch because even if his towns people are mechanics and welders,a whole town will no be as impoverished to the extent of not being able to contribute a few hundreds of thousands naira[/b]

is it me or Dis Dude chats so much fraff!!
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by babaogun(m): 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2008
Kini big deal
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by busybody20: 3:20pm On Sep 01, 2008
@ poster,

SO?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by DeepZone: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2008
[b]i agree with the age restriction, but having said that,sticking with the villagers as you put it is the essence of being a traditional ruler, dyu know oba of benin will not leave benin till he leaves this world?[/b] that is the price to pay for being an oba,besides the state government pays them salaries based on what category of oba they are and sharp obas amongst them use their influence to shape political outcomes in their domains not necessarily rigging, they also attract development to their domains by giving chieftaincy titles to eminent people which comes with a hefty price tag plus developmental commitments from the recipients they also have the power most times to make eminent indigenes contribute for needed projects , chicken sacrifices and the likes happen only in the stone ages or smthing not the present day nigeria, the thing is that people have reduced the the whole thing to the mundane, imagine the ooni of ife who is supposed to be the spiritual head of the yoruba supporting one political party or governor over an

# opponent,hustling for oil blocks ,cotracts,allfin of oyo,the igwes e.t.c hustling for oil blocks, thats why they don't command any iota of respect, like the oba aderemis of yester years, the fact thathe has to send money to nigeria out of his own pocket to get a well fixed in his town shows he is not fully in touch because even if his towns people are mechanics and welders,a whole town will no be as impoverished to the extent of not being able to contribute a few hundreds of thousands naira

@Bold, for real? He can't even travel to lagos?
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by lucabrasi(m): 6:13pm On Sep 01, 2008
Dis Guy:

is it me or Dis Dude chats so much fraff!!
obviously you r the only one high on your jamaican finest or worse cow dung u r smoking if u fink that is chattn fraff or whaeva
DeepZone:

@Bold, for real? He can't even travel to lagos?
he cant,if u check the newspapers n news you ll discover he is the only traditional ruler that still commands the respect and not involved in the whole contracts n corruption neither will u see any news of him travelling abroad or on a tour within nigeria
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by ayobase(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2008
Oba of a small "Sub" town?
how much do u think he
will be making a month to
sustain his family from,
he needs a job 2 sustain.

what does he do when
he is no longer fit 4 wrestling due
to injury?
he simply looks out 4 something
that wouldnt tarnish his
already built fame.

a man that fights could depicts
that he never went schooling as per,

he cant be an engineer,lawyer,accountant,
and he wouldnt be a welder,carpenter,vulcaniser,

so he stayed at USA to be buses driver,
he is a fulfilled a man so far his wives and kids
aint on alms on the streets.

Lets leave this story alone,
the man is a good compatriot!!!
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by chase4(m): 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2008
I still cant believe this. CRAP!!!
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by kaypound(m): 11:22pm On Sep 01, 2008
Abeg, so what! if rides an okada in yankee, Oba, no be human being, him get two heads, You wan make hunger kill oba for naija ni?

Oba ride on jare i dey feel your hustle,

Like ma jigga rightly said " you can't knock the hustle"
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by jtkunle(m): 12:39am On Sep 02, 2008
I watched the video on the site, he seems happy and from what I can tell, he chose to be a bus driver, what I see is a hard working man.
Re: Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York by Queenisha: 1:38am On Sep 02, 2008
jtkunle:

I watched the video on the site, he seems happy and from what I can tell, he chose to be a bus driver, what I see is a hard working man.

That's correct but far from the image an average American would have of a so called king.
If I were him,I'll keep the king part secret and just ferry my passengers to their destinations like any other bus driver.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biography Of South African OAP Sakina Kamwendo / List Of Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / Picture Of A Baby Sucking Cow's Breast For Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.