Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,967 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. (8772 Views)

Pregnant Lesbian Kafayat Adegoke Blasted For Tricking Man (Pic) / Abimbola Fernandez Comes Out As A Lesbian / Should I Tell My Ex-Boyfriend That I Want Him Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by denzelswt: 3:50am On Sep 09, 2008
You are a woman. You are married to a man. You have just come to the realization you are a lesbian. What now? One of the biggest and earliest dilemmas women in your situation face (and there are a lot of women in your situation) is whether or not to tell their husbands. It would be nice if there were a simple yes or no answer to this question, but there is not.

Whether to tell or not depends on several circumstances. First, have you decided in your heart that a divorce is in your future? People get divorced for all sorts of reasons and your decision may be based on many factors other than your sexual orientation. But when a spouse discovers his partner is homosexual, that instantly becomes the prime focus for blame. It's an easy target and one that absolves your husband of any responsibility for the relationship. In addition, spouses have an especially hard time getting past the fact that their wife is gay. They generally feel betrayed and "made a fool of," which makes it hard for them to move forward.

You will need to examine your relationship and consider several factors. For instance, there may be a religious component involved. Is your husband a fundamentalist (Christian, Muslim or Orthodox Jew)? If so, and especially if there are to be child custody issues involved, you may choose to keep your orientation to yourself. Your husband my receive a lot of support from his religious organization and family in fighting you for custody. Depending on the region you live in, the courts may side in his favor.

Does your husband have an explosive temper? If you have been abused in the past, imparting this information will just add unnecessary fuel to his already-out-of-control fire. In this case, it is best just to leave the household, no explanations needed. That goes even if you are NOT a lesbian!

Has your husband exhibited revengeful behavior in the past? If you know you are planning a divorce, do not hand him a tool to use against you, especially if you have experimented with your sexuality outside the marriage. Although most divorces are no-fault these days, there still exists divorce for just cause in many states. A divorce under such a circumstance will cost you heavily when it comes to a financial settlement determination.

So if you are planning on a divorce, should you ever tell your husband? Yes, this may be an option if your husband is open-minded, if he is your "best friend," or if you simply cannot live with yourself by keeping this a secret. Many times after the initial shock, spouses will understand the dilemma you face and actually become supportive of you. With time, education and (usually) counseling or coaching, a spouse will come to understand of the social pressures and circumstances that led to your decision to marry. Many women did not even realize they were lesbian when they tied the knot! And most lesbians who do marry do so out of love, even if it is a love built out of respect and friendship rather than passion.

Now, what if you are planning to stay in the marriage, or are not sure? Should you tell your husband? I will assume if you are reading this article, you are searching for information on this topic. If so, you are probably experiencing some inner conflict surrounding your sexual orientation and your role as a wife. Ask yourself if this conflict has been growing over the past year or two? Is it sustainable? Do you expect the conflict to end or to continue to grow? If you feel your sexual orientation is not that important to who you are and to your authenticity, it may be possible to acknowledge it internally and move on without disrupting your life.

For the majority of women in this situation, that will not be the case. Many times women keep this information to themselves too long, processing and integrating alone and in silence. If there is a possibility to save the marriage (and yes, couples do opt this) it is beneficial to tell your husband earlier rather than later. in this way you can problem solve and explore solutions together. You and he will have an opportunity to process this reality together over a period of time. You can contact others in the same situation for support and ideas. You can attend counseling or coaching together.

If you are married and discovering you are a lesbian, you are in a difficult situation. There are no easy answers. You must examine where you are, where you want to be and decide on the best way to achieve your goals. If this means keeping private information private, then do so. If telling your spouse will benefit you or both of you, then by all means do so. However, if your motivation to tell is driven by guilt, keep in mind the playing field is not an even one. Laws and social attitudes are always stacked against us as homosexuals. You do not need to feel an obligation to tell personal information about yourself if it will be used against you.

for more articles on relationships and committment

visit www.harrison-romance..com
note ,the (dot) is typed .com
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by k1banty(m): 8:12am On Sep 09, 2008
i will be surprised if a woman discover that she is a lesbian after marriage.

That means she must have cheated on her husband to make such discovery and that is really [/i]bad.

It is a different story if the husband had known before being hooked for life. [i]Cheat na cheat whether na with a man or a woman.

It's better to keep it as a secret and pray to God so that i don't have that time to find out or else.

i can't deal with a [i]bi [/i]after marriage, it's better if she inform me before marriage not after.
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by galatico(m): 9:19am On Sep 09, 2008
That's bullshit so what the person means is that she did not know she was a Lesbian before she got married, that she could not be satisfied sexually by a man I wonder what people gain from same sex relationship it sucks,
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by MrCrackles(m): 9:27am On Sep 09, 2008
k1banty:

i will be surprised if a woman discover that she is a lesbian after marriage.

there are loads outhere i tell you

even women with kids, who have female lovers and vice versa!
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 09, 2008
whatever
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by samyyoung(m): 9:39am On Sep 09, 2008
gud 4 u, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by buttercop(m): 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2008
i'd say if u're are married to a man and u have sex with him then u are not a lesbian. lesbians are homosexuals i'd rather say u're bisexual attracted to men and women. so if ur husband is not understanding enough i'd say do not tell him if u want to live a fairly happy married lifew u can't b so sure ur husband is not bisexual. there ar some secrets u don'tm share with ur "non-understanding" husbands
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by 8ball(m): 10:49am On Sep 10, 2008
@ poster

Another thread for homosexuals?

like hell,they'll never be accepted in the society that needs progress
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by tope2000(f): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2008
lot of things just dey go on in this world lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by DonEse125(f): 5:50pm On Sep 12, 2008
no wonder all your posts are so wierd. You're a shrink!
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by tRoOE(f): 12:36am On Sep 14, 2008
***singing***
keep it on the down low
whispering nobody has to know
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by treadstone(m): 3:21pm On Sep 14, 2008
DENZEL SWEET,WILL YOU BECOME MINE ? I LOVE GIRLS WHO PLAY WITH THEIR CUNT.I LOVE LESBIANS.
PLEASE MARRY ME AND DIVORCE THAT ONE YOU ARE AFRAID OF.
VIEW MY POSTING YOU WILL GET MY CONTACT.REACH ME SOONEST.
Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by totoakins(m): 10:02am On Nov 14, 2014
if my gf is a lesbian or bi sexual no wahala na , she should tell me and let's have wonderful party

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Husband I'm A Lesbian? What To Consider First. by flaksky: 3:04am On Aug 18, 2023
yeah things like this happen and it destorys the marriage i have a friend that her husband doesnt know she is a lesbian her story is here https://www.aura.ng/life-and-love/my-husband-does-not-know-that-i-am-a-lesbian

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: If U Played With This And Still Unmarried, U need to Visit Shiloh 2015 / I'm Addicted To Sucking Girls Breasts.. / SCAMMER: The Latest Nairaland Scammer — Usoro Prince Bassey - 09023320370 [Pict]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.