Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,233 members, 7,867,610 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:45 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (238) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (518461 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by software(m): 8:36pm On Aug 17, 2007
kitaun:

Hleb is okay playing in that role . . . he looks like a natural successor to Pires

hmmn yes i think u are right. But that cant still make Arsenal win the premiership grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Aug 17, 2007
natural successor to Pires?

hmm, I think its a tad early to put that weight on his shoulders. Pires was more prolific than may of the strikers in his time. in fact in the Unbeaten 49 run, he scored 23 goals, second only to Henry on the scorers chart - beating Bergkamp, Reyes, Kanu, Wiltord who were supposed to be strikers.

besides, Pires played mostly on the wing and cut in from the left. I think Wenger envisages Rosicky to be Pires' successor, but for now he hasn't lived up to the billing.

Kudos to Hleb though, he will be very useful in the CL away games this season in that role, since 4-5-1 is the most effective formation for us in Europe as of now.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by doyin13(m): 9:13pm On Aug 17, 2007
I dont think Rosicky or Hleb will be able to fill Pires's shoes.

They don't have the pace, and neither is gifted with a keen eye for goal, at best a few goals here or there.

From way back when Pires was at Marseille, he had scoring potential, which bloomed at Arsenal.

Rosicky on the other hand has played defensive midfield for the Czechs before!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 9:28pm On Aug 17, 2007
you have a good point mate, that is why I think Wenger is silently cursing his luck because he missed out on Ribery. That scar faced dude was the perfect person to fill the slot, the same way Pires came in after Euro 2000, Ribery coming in would've galvanised the team in a crucial area. Alas either money issues or Wenger's vacation at the time prevented him from joining.

Anyways, I think man for man comparisons with the invincibles won't do us much good. this team needs to perform, whichever way that performance/goals come from is not too important to me - just score enough and bring trophies to the Emirates. The emerging trend of the Wingbacks producing assists is a welcome one, it may reduce the effect of the lack of a true winger in the squad at present.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 10:16pm On Aug 17, 2007
papers were linking Gilberto to Juve, Read also somewhere that Gilberto was disappointed about not choosen as captain or something like that, can anyone confirm this.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 10:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
the links to Juve are old I think a bid was made sometime in July and rejected outright. don't know if anything new has occured there, but anywys Gilberto isn't going anywhere, Wenger can ill afford to lose such an anchor player with his wealth of experience right now.

Gilberto was disappointed no doubt, but more about the way he found out (through the web according to reports), he said he would've preferred to be told directly by Wenger and not see it online. Wenger has settled the matter by saying Bertie was absent from training on the day the decision was made, so thats why he seemed out of the loop, but the issue has been cleared up as far as I know. Gilberto, being the consummate professional he is, has said he will focus on doing his job for the team and that is the highest priority for him this season
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 10:30pm On Aug 17, 2007
whats ur take on Eboue on the right of the midfield, do you think he has done a good job or hes out of place there?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 10:35pm On Aug 17, 2007
in the fulham game he was excellent, but he was less effective in the Sparta game, maybe due to the undue physicality of the opposition. I think after 5 premiership games in that position is when we'll be able to judge his performances. In any case, he is out of the Blackburn game with an ankle injury, so Hleb might be back on the right with Dudu starting alongside RVP.

Sagna has shown how excellent he can be on the overlap, he got like 13 assists for Auxerre last season, and he is showing why. His defensive awareness is of course much better than Eboue's and that is also beginning to show.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by brushparke(m): 3:15am On Aug 18, 2007
debosky:

in the fulham game he was excellent, but he was less effective in the Sparta game, maybe due to the undue physicality of the opposition. I think after 5 premiership games in that position is when we'll be able to judge his performances. In any case, he is out of the Blackburn game with an ankle injury, so Hleb might be back on the right with Dudu starting alongside RVP.

Sagna has shown how excellent he can be on the overlap, he got like 13 assists for Auxerre last season, and he is showing why. His defensive awareness is of course much better than Eboue's and that is also beginning to show.

I hope Eboue dosen't become more and more unimportant to the team. He looks good playing infron to Sagna in some matches and totally disappointing in some. Sagna also have that instinct of going upfront. One can still hope on his powerful strikes and crosses though.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by debosky(m): 3:28am On Aug 18, 2007
unimportant? I doubt it, but we'll lose him for maybe 6 weeks in january, so having competent replacements for him is essential. Personally I feel Sagna is the most astute signing Wenger has made this season, Dudu's performance will determine if he was a better buy.

Eboue's ability to drive into the box and draw fouls will remain important, as long as he cuts out the play acting (fat chance).
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayusco: 12:30pm On Aug 18, 2007
more importantly do u guys think E.silva and betdner can convert the many chances we create
luv Arsenal and anyone beating manure & paraga fc grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2007
i think arsenal players can convert chances. but too scared to shoot. there's this thing in arsenal about wasting chances that makes players feel reluctant to shoot. u have to be an outlaw to shoot, like van persie does. if wenger wants goals encourage them to shoot. a commentator once said in a champions league match that the crowd were shouting shoot shoot. imagine rosicky well known for his shots now more interested in running in and making passes.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by whitelexi(m): 10:59am On Aug 19, 2007
Its gonna be a belter of a game today, and another thing, if blackburn think their defensive game will help them today, they better have a rethink cos we're about to turn on the heat in there grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 2:33pm On Aug 19, 2007
cant wait to watch the best team in the world kiss kiss
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayusman16(m): 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2007
UP GUNNERS!!! Dis is how it should be done, make una tell dem,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by whitelexi(m): 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2007
Goal - RVP
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2007
i dey die ooooooooooooooooo

i love my team

way to go RVP

we love you
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:27pm On Aug 19, 2007
Man city just made my day grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayusman16(m): 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2007
somebody tell me, na futbol Blackburn dey play abi na wrestling? Dem wan wound our boys ooo
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2007
abi o grin see bentley his head like paw paw angry

they will soon get red angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayusman16(m): 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2007
i tire oo. am always proud to be a gunner ooo, dis is sexy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by DisGuy: 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2007
dont mind those blackburn players, everybody want to kick our players angry

man city gbosa gbosa gbosa!! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2007
they want to injure them angry

damn man city grin you are giving me a real good reason to smile grin

we go hear word grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by DisGuy: 3:49pm On Aug 19, 2007
Oh boy, they want to kill Cesc and Van persie, they are not even kicking the football anymore shocked
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 3:51pm On Aug 19, 2007
half time cheesy we have played well .analyst una talk una own, na my own i talk tongue

enemies of progress angry they want to injure our players angry so we can be like scummie grin
na lie angry it wont happen angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by ayusman16(m): 4:39pm On Aug 19, 2007
lehman don kill us ooo
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal(m): 4:39pm On Aug 19, 2007
C'mon BLACKBURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Do us proud in the NORTH.
BEAT THE GUNNERS.

What a goal by DUNN.

SANTA CRUZ . . . . . .Where ya guns @?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2007
honestly I don't know whats wrong with that lehman, simple ball he can't just catch. I don't think we need him again, I'm sick and tired of his stupid mistakes!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2007
angry Lehmann angry can someone pls injure him angry maybe Almunia can do better angry angry

*hiss* rubbish angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dinozzo(m): 4:48pm On Aug 19, 2007
this blackburn players sef, dem too ruff angry. Ref suppose don give them red since.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal(m): 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2007
@ Dinozzo,

This has ended in a DRAW.
What a howler by LEHMANN? How did that happen?
Just pray the Scousers win to grind CHELSEA's machine or else it's gonna be difficult.
Gunners have been played.
Switch your TV to the Liverpool match.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2007
Game over . .first draw of the season angry

the ref come dey dash us cards anyhow angry and he gave them only one red angry angry

but atleast two teamsĀ  are making my day grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.