Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (26677 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Lady2(f): 10:36pm On Sep 20, 2008
While i may not be advocating total scrapping of the scheme, i just wonder if that is how it works in other places, especially America, where they have such schemes.

The scheme is not in America, when I mention it to some people they wish they had the scheme. It would help them secure a job.

Why is everyone thinking America, America, America, people are dying in America and the government is stealing the money. The economy just went down the drain. Stay there looking to America for help, they can't even govern themselves.

The equivalent of the NYSC is an inernship here. If only you all know how difficult it is to find an internship. You have to compete for it. NYSC you don't compete for it. It is an opportunity to gain some knowledge about your field or to give service to the nation.

Remember someone is always worse off than you are. People that are calling for the scrapping of the scheme are selfish. They don't consider others and how they can help them. No they're only thinking of themselves, and yet they're quick to say the government cares for itself only. They're no different from the government.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by TheSly: 10:47pm On Sep 20, 2008
Why is everyone thinking America, America, America, people are dying in America and the government is stealing the money. The economy just went down the drain. Stay there looking to America for help, they can't even govern themselves.
You people have started again undecided
So are you trying to compare the system over there to that of Nigeria??

Nigerians will always and forever be Nigerians.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by bawomolo(m): 11:32pm On Sep 20, 2008
i doubt the NYSC program can foster unity, tribalistic sentiments have already been ingrained in the average nigerian by the time they reach their twenties. that's why primary and secondary school is very important to expose nigerian youth to other cultures around them.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by yongbabe(f): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2008
ppl die at NYSC?
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Gamine(f): 7:03pm On Sep 21, 2008
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by bawomolo(m): 8:57pm On Sep 21, 2008
just because people die everywhere, doesn't mean there should be low safety standards.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Gamine(f): 9:08pm On Sep 21, 2008
Yea, It doesn't mean.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by vicero(m): 9:56am On Sep 22, 2008
Once again @poster, you really think deep. NYSC as far as i am concerned is a wastage of precious time. Its just a way for the Goverment to exploit the youths and steal money again, because upon all the money they claim they budget for the program, how much of it is really spent on the right course. It should be scraped. Kicked out of the system. In fact all youths should kick against it and rebel against this scam called a scheme pls.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by vicero(m): 9:57am On Sep 22, 2008
Once again @poster, you really think deep. NYSC as far as i am concerned is a wastage of precious time. Its just a way for the Goverment to exploit the youths and steal money again, because upon all the money they claim they budget for the program, how much of it is really spent on the right course. It should be scraped. Kicked out of the system. In fact all youths should kick against it and rebel against this scam called a scheme pls.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by dansmith1(m): 9:59am On Sep 22, 2008
The whole NYSC scheme sucks, big time, as a present corper i can say that much. And since they recently ministered a huge building for the new NYSC HQ in abuja, i don't think NYSC is going anywhere!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by slyk2(m): 10:24am On Sep 22, 2008
the NYSC is still relevant.

if the govt has set it up, i think it now remains the duty of the corp members to eke out whatever they desire from it.

Not long ago i asked some prospective corp members what their expectations are.
Do you know that four of them were not expecting anything at all from the programme.

Such am avenue is ripe for individuals to make meaningful advances in whatever they want.

Galivanting must be kept aside, while the false aura of the khaki must equally be thrashed.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by uchesandy(f): 10:25am On Sep 22, 2008
it should really continue. i just passed out  this month and i know wat the scheme added to my life. Its a period of self realisation and discovery. indeed,it added so much value to ny life.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by nzeaji(m): 11:06am On Sep 22, 2008
I think we should put this thread to the vote.

All for the scrapping of NYSC, say--------Yeah!

All for reforming of the NYSC, say--------Nyah!

All for leaving it yhe way it is, say-------Nay!

As for me and my family, we will propose the scrapping of the damn thing grin grin grin
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Elprinz(m): 11:54am On Sep 22, 2008
The only advantage for those of us that studied abroad is that we can pick the state we want
[/b]

hmmmm
thats good news oh
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by menix(m): 1:01pm On Sep 22, 2008
NYSC is only relevant to the Northerners cous they dont ve enough work force especially in there skools, thus recruiting the easterners & westerners corper to fill in.
Believe this, if the northerners have enough educated work force to fill in the space NYSC would have been 4gotten 4 long,
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Kemjisuper(m): 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2008
Just fresh out of NYSC (Sept 11th) I think the program is still very relevant. For instance, I had the chance to give out free computer classes to community youths in the Naija Delta, whose lives have been affected positively at least.

Ya, 3 Corpers died in my State but
It MUST not be scrapped! embarassed
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 22, 2008
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by tulk2mi: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2008
Rite idea, wrong implementation. d nigerian all time story.
NYSC has not achieved it purpose. In d long run most corper's are beta off not serving at all.
4 those who say dat it absorb fresh graduation from d labour market for 1 year, at d end of the 1 year wouldnt they still be thrown to d labour market? where is d job then? meanwhile most jobs these days comes with age specification.

in my candid opinion scrap is a beta option than overhauling.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by DoubleN(m): 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2008
I am doing mine in one of the worst states in this country and i must say this NYSC crap is totally irrelevant.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 4:06pm On Sep 22, 2008
tulk2mi:

Rite idea, wrong implementation. d nigerian all time story.
NYSC has not achieved it purpose. In d long run most corper's are beta off not serving at all.
4 those who say that it absorb fresh graduation from d labour market for 1 year, at d end of the 1 year wouldnt they still be thrown to d labour market? where is d job then? meanwhile most jobs these days comes with age specification.

in my candid opinion scrap is a beta option than overhauling.

This issue of age is another food for thought. Most Nigerian students dont get admission into the universities at the right age. When they get in, strikes and other cult activities enlogates a four year programme to 7-year programme, so an average nigerian student graduates at the age of 25yrs instead of 20yrs. This same student in now required to put in one year compulsory service to his/her nation, so he completes it at the age of 26 or 27.

This same graduate now goes into the market where the age limit for trainees is 25yrs and anything above that, they will require three years experience. How do we reconcile this? That is why most fresh graduates end up not getting good job. And the truth is, if your first job is not right, your career may have started on a wrong note, except if you are lucky to have a good change of job along the line.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by gochi6: 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2008
Hello my fellow nairalanders,

I'm really new to nairaland so bear with me, but I’ll just like to post my view on this topic.

I believe that life is what you make of it and similar holds for your NYSC year. I served in 2005 (not so long ago) in Enugu state and I must say it was one of the best years of my life. No, I wasn't in government house; I served as a maths teacher in a public school in Oji River LGA. I felt honoured to be given the opportunity to give knowledge to future generations. My class was never boring, true, I used some unconventional methods, but my kids (as i fondly call them) could see my heart was in what I was doing and they loved me for it. I can remember clearly teaching my class on 'motion', and using dance steps to demonstrate "to & fro" motion; or even showing JSS2 students using stones, what a 'ccircumferencend area of a circle' mean in the play field,

I believed in my kids and I communicated as much, when I came into class, I would greet them, calling them "the next governor of Enugu state/senator", "future EDs of bank", "Future big boys & girls in the oil & gas industry " etc. I encouraged them to go to school, promised to help financially where I could. And by God's grace, i have kept my word.

My kids have kept in touch with me and I get calls from all over Nigeria - Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Edo, Rivers etc. Just last week, one of my kids, ikenna, sent me a text saying he had gotten admission in NAU to study Chemical Engineering. I was so proud! The feelings that arise each time I read that text and similar others, money cannot buy!

I'm not saying NYSC didn't have its bad sides, but I chose to make a difference in a little village. Because of my commitment, I have a 2nd village in Oji-River, Enugu. I meet great young men & women, who taught me to dream, I made life contacts who propelled me to my present status,

To present corpers out there, choose to give back, have the time of your life, it is now you begin to write the story you will tell your 'kids' and generations to come.

I Love Nigeria, I believe in Nigeria, I am proudly NIGERIAN!!!!!!! wink
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jaybee3(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2008
I don't know how relevant it still is but i am hoping to experience it next year (Live in london, graduated in 03 and been working ever since hence the delay).
I am seriously hoping to give back in terms of knowledge, words of encouragement and empowerment in terms of helping bring out innovative ideas in the youths i may encounter.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by nomanicole(f): 8:57am On Sep 23, 2008
i just finished my orientation in abuja,it was hell,i mean we use to wake up @4am for parade or jogging in the morning,under the rain or under the scorching sun you must be on the parade ground cos thats the oath.its even in the anthem which you have to sing every morning,the food in camp i.e from the kitchen was fair.but mami is better if you have money oh!.the good part of everything is you make new friends,be sure u'd get a job after the orientation,but if you don't know anybody there and if its a recognised firm,have doubts because they might bounce you.But you stand to gain a lot of respect as a corper,you enter anywhere,corper shun! of course you have to be friendly.personally,i didn't and still don't see the need for the orientation,i mean,all the labour.pls if you are light in complexion like me,remember to go with a sun screen o!unless you wanna tan
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by maytonia: 1:28pm On Sep 23, 2008
I believe NYSC scheme is very revelant. This is because it opens a graduate's eyes to what the real labour market is.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by profy2k4(m): 11:33am On Sep 24, 2008
nysc shld be scrapped becos i don,t see any thing they have for us than to go and suffer in a remote area were there is no light and other social activities. i will never forget my experience during my time. i was been posted to taraba state. the state don't ve any thing that can be rely upon. from lagos to the state is 2 days journey. i enjoy the 3 weeks orientation program becos of the fun but after, we are posted to a remote area. the state don,t ve social amenties. one read law and they post the person to church to serve.it is of no use. they just want to waste our time for one year. the solution is this, federal govt shld reduce the scheme to 6 month and they shld calculate the allowance for the remaining 6 month for us to start business. but who will bell the cat
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by totalfact(m): 1:41pm On Sep 24, 2008
NYSC will continue to be!
Yes!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by carmelily: 3:03pm On Sep 24, 2008
I think the three weeks camp should be made mandatory and the one-year service optional. That way people can decide whether or not they want to slave "serve".
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Gamine(f): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2008
Who will serve if its optional? undecided
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 4:49pm On Sep 24, 2008
can someone give me a site where i can read more about this NYSC issue?
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by carmelily: 9:30am On Sep 25, 2008
Gamine:

Who will serve if its optional? undecided

you'd be surprised grin
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by akx(m): 3:45pm On Sep 25, 2008
Just got back from orientation camp on saturday, ended up in a hospital on monday. Just grateful it wasnt typhoid or cholera. The whole aim of the NYSC thing is commendable, but with the way things are currently run, I think its best to suspend the scheme for now cuz the truth is that a lot of the NYSC officials do not care about the safety and wellbeing of the corpers. Ask them where their children are serving and u'll find out the true picture of things. So much for national integration
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by codeworks(m): 4:56pm On Sep 25, 2008
well to me is not relevant. they say "serving my country" . this is the same country that increase school by 5000 every session. is relevant for people who will end up working 4 govt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marry Abia Indigene, Get 200k, Marry Fellow Corps Member, Get 100k - Hon. Chukwu / NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG / Latest Official Information For NYSC 2017 BATCH A Stream 2 Pcms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.