Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,816 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (26658 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sojioguns(m): 7:27pm On Sep 25, 2008
It is easy for you to say NYSC is relevant. What of for people that had things kick off well early. They started working and earning good money before they even graduated from uni? Imagine that the period u were supposed to serve, you have this good contract to execute.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by victado64: 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2008
sojioguns:

It is easy for you to say NYSC is relevant. What of for people that had things kick off well early. They started working and earning good money before they even graduated from uni? Imagine that the period You were supposed to serve, you have this good contract to execute.

Hey,

The NYSC is probably the best schemes ever intiated by the Nigeria govt.

So what if you have this good contract to execute,how does that concern serving your country.For us to even bring up this debate tells a lot about how things have changed.We all want to be successful but who said the road to success was going to smooth.

Well my personal experience with NYSC was fantastic ! I served in Abuja 2002,and yes i didn't know anybody there.I remember vividly walking from FCT office Area 11 to wuse zone 4 on several occassion,looking for a place of primary assignment,eventually found a great place to serve and I even got employed.I now have a 3 bedroom bungalow in abuja,so tell me why would i want them to scrap a scheme that gave me such an opportunity.

While the whiners will complain about the lack of electricity and having to do long parades and working for merger pay during NYSC,they forget that they only get to experience all these "pains" for a short time there are people that live permanently in such situations.Anyone that attended a bordering school in Nigeria will tell you that the NYSC orientation camp is a walk in the park,when compared to life as a border.

let's all remember that just like life the NYSC has it good,bad and ugly sides.It's what we do with the NYSC experiences that matters.

So people let's appreciate what we have.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Kevdee4reel(m): 10:18am On Sep 26, 2008
NYSC has been bastardised
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Kevdee4reel(m): 10:28am On Sep 26, 2008
NYSC has been bastardised.The primary aim which is integration to an extent has been achieved. I am presently serving in taraba n its not easy, right from camp were we ate rubbish to our kaaki dat is a replica of a rag.The allowance is meagre. I stay in lagos n 4 me to travel to n fro i might have 2 borrow extra cash from my fellow corp member. Being that nigerians are natural shock absorbers we were neva born this way its just the lakadaisical character of our leaders. I strongly support the scheme but just like every nigerian settings always a debacle. I strongly believe it will b better, should not b scrapped n 4 those who schooled abroad n those pushing their postings 2 lag n abuja i dont blame u guys. naija 4 life
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sojioguns(m): 10:33am On Sep 26, 2008
victado64:

Hey,

The NYSC is probably the best schemes ever intiated by the Nigeria govt.

So what if you have this good contract to execute,how does that concern serving your country.For us to even bring up this debate tells a lot about how things have changed.We all want to be successful but who said the road to success was going to smooth.

Well my personal experience with NYSC was fantastic ! I served in Abuja 2002,and yes i didn't know anybody there.I remember vividly walking from FCT office Area 11 to wuse zone 4 on several occassion,looking for a place of primary assignment,eventually found a great place to serve and I even got employed.I now have a 3 bedroom bungalow in abuja,so tell me why would i want them to scrap a scheme that gave me such an opportunity.

While the whiners will complain about the lack of electricity and having to do long parades and working for merger pay during NYSC,they forget that they only get to experience all these "pains" for a short time there are people that live permanently in such situations.Anyone that attended a bordering school in Nigeria will tell you that the NYSC orientation camp is a walk in the park,when compared to life as a border.

let's all remember that just like life the NYSC has it good,bad and ugly sides.It's what we do with the NYSC experiences that matters.

So people let's appreciate what we have.

Who says you wouldnt have gotten that same opportunity elsewhere. I still retain my opinion. NYSC is a waste of 1 long year.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 1:17pm On Sep 26, 2008
According to a poster, the scheme was established to unite the nation after the civil war. if that is the first objective, i will say the programme has failed.

Someone also talked about the scheme giving people the opportunity to know other parts of the country, well that may be true, but i think people travel well these days. There are many northerners in the south, many southerners in ABU and other northern universities. Besides, if you dont have a business anywhere, you dont need to be there. But if Nigerian tourism department could be developed very well, people will travel to places for fun and for knowledge.

Corruption. Its ravaging the scheme. How many cows do they kill daily in your camp? How many are they supposed to kill? People dont eat the food because it is not properly prepared. Is the improper preparation a deliberate move to discourage people from eatin it or a dearth of good cooks in Nigeria?

Posting. Hmm, more corruption than meets the eye. So much lobbying to influence posting. So many rejections at the place of primary assignment. You need to see how dejected corpers feel when they are rejected from one point to another. I tell you, they will be glad to take up anything there after, regardless of whether it is relevant to their course or not. Do we have enough offices that are willing to absorb the corpers and treat them fine for the one year? Is it possible to stop influencing posting?

So many issues beg for attention. If the scheme must continue, i believe these issues and many more should be properly addressed
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sojioguns(m): 5:07pm On Sep 26, 2008
NYSC, a sign of dignity?? Hell NO!! What is wrong with people that they dont want to accept the truth? NYSC is a bloody waste of time.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Fuup(m): 6:04pm On Sep 26, 2008
honestly the idea is good but the government dont know how to do shit,
They subject graduates to different jobs all across the country and when the year is over 95% of the companies dont retain their coppers,
The only way it can work is for the government make it compusory for companies to retain the coppers unless the copper is against it!!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by royalicon(m): 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2008
The objectives of NYSC needs to be re-visited if to remain relevant in this dispensation. The scheme need thorough evaluation,

Making it compulsory for public service is increasing its falsification.
Its need re-evaluation or outright scrapping.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by toskom(m): 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2008
I never really liked NYSC right from time becos i just saw it as a waste of one years but today anytime i hear about it sadness fills my heart becos of a bitter experience. i had a sister who serviced in kastina. my father never wanted her to go but we felt she should go. but today my sister is no more (late). she went sound but came back from kastina with a serious sickness. i have vow never to allow any of my family member serve in the north. we are still bitter over this expereince. i wish those who wish to serve in the north best of lucky but NYSC is a close chapter for me in life.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ugbede007(m): 6:44am On Oct 02, 2008
Corpers We!!! angry
All my days in this forum has always been spent reading about corpers and I have come to know based on honest posts from corpers past and present that the scheme is not worth while.
Until recently when i became a corper too after waiting for 2 years I never really felt or understood the pain of in every corpers head. I camped in Sagamu in Ogun State and the rest is story because I'm teaching in one village secondary school in Ota where Hope seems to be the last thing possible for me.
As a result of all these, I decided to create a blog (http://corperscafe..com) exclusively for Corpers both past and present where we can share, relate ideas and experiences on and off camp and most especially sought out THE WAY FORWARD.
Below this post u'll see the blog site.My name is Ak and U are all welcome
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sibrahim1(m): 10:07pm On Oct 05, 2008
i have heared and thought about the saying that"now your struggle continues "(NYSC),but the truth behind it never occured not until recently when i was mobilized for the february /match batch of the national youth service scheme.

i must commend those who initiated this national youth service scheme.it will will be very useless if after ones year in the higher institution,and there is no NYSC certificate to crown the degree.

gone are those days when the pride of every citizen is to wear the kaki upon kaki,jungle boot-cap,simple because you see youth corpers well dresses ,well catered for and above all ,highly respected in the state of primary assingment.now adays,the reverse is the case.youth corpers are not recorgnized.normally when discharged from the orientation camp,there should be placement for everyone but the reverse is the case.

people now live orientation camp with the fear of rejection in their various place of primary assignment .one will now ask the question if there is adequate survey before these placements are being done.

moreso,when you here that the federal goverment spends at least one hundred and fifty thousand naira (150,000) on every youth corper in a yearand you ask your self where is the money.is the from the kits they give?is it from the over size jungle boots?,slacked up crested vests?,or the kaki upon kaki that gets shrinked on a first wash?,is it from the watery food and the typhoid water tea they prepare on camp?,is it from the federal monthly allowance that doesnt come again every month end?,rather,the middle of the following month.is it from the provided corpers lodge that is not even conducive for living and not big enough to accomodate reasonable number of corpers?,.

all these questions are for people who have answers to look into.come to think of it,some youth corpers were even posted to rural areas,where you have no electricity,no telecommunication reception and no means of transportation.the wise ones among them try to work their way out to the cities just because of opportunities.if not,they must have wasted one year all in the name of NYSC.Its even worse in the cities where female corpers are used as objects of satisfaction by men simply because they are looking for a way to survive.i think some parents should always try and ask your serving children where they are serving and what are they doing to survive.

take for example cross river state,calabar which is the capital.to get accomodation here is very expensive .a room is like sixty to sixty five thousand naira,a room self contain is like hundred to hundred and fifty thousand naira,depending on the area you want to stay.not all parents can afford to pay for such accomodation and a youth corpers monthly allowance for 6months will still not get such accomodation.

futhermore,if one will look at these observations,one will conclude that it does not worth it.if government can not handle the scheme anymore,then the best option is it to be scrapped.

conclusively,the national youth service scheme was a good initiative but now hope seems to be lost simply because nigeria as a country has never been active in maintenace and sustainance,rather she brings up good ideas which never last the test of time.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by fyneboi(m): 6:11pm On Oct 06, 2008
What is the purpose of NYSC when  corpers can  pay their way into serving in the State of their choice?

I think NYSC official should stop taking bribe and let corper serve where they are

posted. No matter what state.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sojioguns(m): 6:31pm On Oct 06, 2008
Calling the NYSC 'service' is an insult to the word 'serve'. It is a BLOODY waste of time. What is the percentage of people that even gain anything from the activity? Even the companies that corpers are posted to dont gain. Anyway, as long as there is a Federal allocation, they will NEVER scrap it.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Biioola(f): 12:37am On Oct 07, 2008
Nairalanders please help me o.I am a corps member and iam yet to get a place of primary assignment.I will prefer Telecoms, incase anyone can be of help to me, i will most appreciate it.My e-mail:biola_7@fastermail.com.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sojioguns(m): 9:54am On Oct 07, 2008
As far as service goes, dont aspire to serve in the 'big' companies because it is quite difficult to make an impact in such a company. Only people that make impact are retained.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by zains: 10:42am On Oct 07, 2008
The NYSC programme has been mismanaged just like the project called Nigeria.

Why do we insist on sending the futures of families to unknown places that aren't secure?

Everytime I think about my dear one that passed during this goddamn NYSC service, I feel like wringing the
necks of those in charge.

The NYSC doesn't even have the statistics of dead corpers! Maybe if they have it annually, that would have take
a firm decision on scrapping it. cry
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by sibrahim1(m): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2008
i have heared and thought about the saying that"now your struggle continues "(NYSC),but the truth behind it never occured not until recently when i was mobilized for the february /match batch of the national youth service scheme.

i must commend those who initiated this national youth service scheme.it will will be very useless if after ones year in the higher institution,and there is no NYSC certificate to crown the degree.

gone are those days when the pride of every citizen is to wear the kaki upon kaki,jungle boot-cap,simple because you see youth corpers well dresses ,well catered for and above all ,highly respected in the state of primary assingment.now adays,the reverse is the case.youth corpers are not recorgnized.normally when discharged from the orientation camp,there should be placement for everyone but the reverse is the case.

people now live orientation camp with the fear of rejection in their various place of primary assignment .one will now ask the question if there is adequate survey before these placements are being done.

moreso,when you here that the federal goverment spends at least one hundred and fifty thousand naira (150,000) on every youth corper in a yearand you ask your self where is the money.is the from the kits they give?is it from the over size jungle boots?,slacked up crested vests?,or the kaki upon kaki that gets shrinked on a first wash?,is it from the watery food and the typhoid water tea they prepare on camp?,is it from the federal monthly allowance that doesnt come again every month end?,rather,the middle of the following month.is it from the provided corpers lodge that is not even conducive for living and not big enough to accomodate reasonable number of corpers?,.

all these questions are for people who have answers to look into.come to think of it,some youth corpers were even posted to rural areas,where you have no electricity,no telecommunication reception and no means of transportation.the wise ones among them try to work their way out to the cities just because of opportunities.if not,they must have wasted one year all in the name of NYSC.Its even worse in the cities where female corpers are used as objects of satisfaction by men simply because they are looking for a way to survive.i think some parents should always try and ask your serving children where they are serving and what are they doing to survive.

take for example cross river state,calabar which is the capital.to get accomodation here is very expensive .a room is like sixty to sixty five thousand naira,a room self contain is like hundred to hundred and fifty thousand naira,depending on the area you want to stay.not all parents can afford to pay for such accomodation and a youth corpers monthly allowance for 6months will still not get such accomodation.

futhermore,if one will look at these observations,one will conclude that it does not worth it.if government can not handle the scheme anymore,then the best option is it to be scrapped.

conclusively,the national youth service scheme was a good initiative but now hope seems to be lost simply because nigeria as a country has never been active in maintenace and sustainance,rather she brings up good ideas which never last the test of time.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by toskom(m): 12:31am On Oct 14, 2008
I have talked about this issue of NYSC and my argument has always been that the project is un-necessary at this particular stage. you send a young lady to the interior of these northern states and all through the one years she is praying for the one year to come to an end. what is that, is that what the programme is all about? The situation is some part of the country are unpalatable, that sending your own child there will be like sending your child to war front.

The kind of opportunity this programme should bring is not even there. you finish a year programme only for you to be looking for job again. people make reference to foreign country, where they have a particular year mandatory service in the military, have u asked about the general condition of this country; they are more palatable than our country.

A friend of mine was send to the interior part of a state, she was so frustrated that the four years she used at the university was shorter than this one years of NYSC. State in nigerian are not developing at the same rate and this is contributing to this issue.

The simple truth is that we are not that organised in this country and that is the major problem we have. but despite all that i have said, i believe the future of nigeria is greater than what we are seeing now.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by willyspace(m): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2008
I Served in Ekiti State, apart from the opportunity for inter-tribal marriages and cross-cultural exchanges, this one year is a total waste of 12 precious months one could have used to search for jobs that don't exist.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by EbonyNaija: 4:33pm On Jun 11, 2009
Really interesting viewpoints on the whole subject of NYSC. I put up a website where corps members can share their different views about the scheme, and blog about their different experiences. I think one of the biggest problems of the scheme is the total dearth of information. If you're posted to katsina state there's no where offline or online to get any information on how best to get there, the weather's peculiarities etc

Thats part of why i designed the site. Hopefully ppl will find it useful and will be encouraged to share there experiences with others and give much needed advice to incoming corps members.

The site is www.NyscTalk.com

Hope you guys check it out and find it useful, look forward to getting your response and feedback.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by kaycast(m): 1:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
its a nice concept, but the ppl handling it have bastardized it.

www.nigerian-youth..com

Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ulale: 8:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
for foreign graduate, you said must have at least 5 credits in waec or neco, i succesfully completed my degree but my i have 4 credits in my waec, will the nysc mobilize me to serve?
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Abayomin70(m): 3:59pm On Jun 22, 2011
nice one here i just dont know y d government mak dis shit a must.if i bcome d president of dis nation i will scrap it so many parent lost der child cus of dis useless nysc
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
first fine forum we had so far. NYSC should not be scrapped, the government should just make the necessary ammendment
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Kopatales: 8:04am On Sep 10, 2013
NYSC should not be scrapped. It's like given up on your right as a Nigerian youth instead we should think of ways to make the government improve on it and try to make the most out of it. Many people think its modern day slavery perhaps because of the impression they get at the orientation camp but beyond the orientation which i personally like to refer to as the incubator you have a world of your own where you become a major influence to the people around you. At that point a lot people expect much from you. If at that time i.e your service year you fail to make an impact then whatever you see you take.
In essence I believe Kopas should be able to stand their ground, let their yes be yes and their no be obvious because mediocre cannot pull through one service year successfully. You either end up with your bank account reading red, with an unwanted pregnancy, heartbreak, unemployment etc. I advise you leave the moment but bear in mind that NYSC is that stage you stand on where you have the whole state/Nigeria as your audience looking up to you to perform that song that will get you applauded!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bandits Kill Obaje Saidu, Corps Member On His Way To Katsina For Clearance / Marry Abia Indigene, Get 200k, Marry Fellow Corps Member, Get 100k - Hon. Chukwu / NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.