Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,813 members, 7,844,633 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! (1679 Views)

Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 / Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 / Obama Vs Romney : US Presidential Debate On October 4 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by davidylan4(m): 4:37am On Sep 27, 2008
We saw two men tonight:
- one with a rational mind, willing to share ideas, cerebral, prudent with facts and figures and calm enough to lead the world.

- We saw a bush clone, a rabid, rude and condescending attack dog who only has one button - "go".

Sorry Tayo . . . Americans are no fools. McCain can bluster, Bush did same 8 years ago. How many times did Obama have to say "that's not true"? Its a shame that a man has to descend to lie to score a sore point.

Joe Biden just spoke on TV a few minutes ago, if he were to speak exactly the way McCain spoke to night (name dropping) Palin would do well to not show up at the debate.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 4:42am On Sep 27, 2008
These figures are still preliminary and could change as more respondents complete the survey. But here's what we have so far:

Forty percent of uncommitted voters who watched the debate tonight thought Barack Obama was the winner. Twenty-two percent thought John McCain won. Thirty-eight percent saw it as a draw.

Forty-six percent of uncommitted voters said their opinion of Obama got better tonight.

Sixty-eight percent of uncommitted voters think Obama would make the right decisions about the economy. Forty-one percent think McCain would.

Forty-nine percent of these voters think Obama would make the right decisions about Iraq. Fifty-five percent think McCain would.

We will have a full report on the poll later on. Uncommitted voters are those who don't yet know who they will vote for, or who have chosen a candidate but may still change their minds.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/26/politics/horserace/entry4482028.shtml
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by TayoD1(m): 4:44am On Sep 27, 2008
@davidylan,

We saw two men tonight:
- one with a rational mind, willing to share ideas, cerebral, prudent with facts and figures and calm enough to lead the world.
Figures? What figures did Obama share?

- We saw a bush clone, a rabid, rude and condescending attack dog who only has one button - "go".
Again, abusing someone does not make you right.  

Sorry Tayo . . . Americans are no fools. McCain can bluster, Bush did same 8 years ago. How many times did Obama have to say "that's not true"? Its a shame that a man has to descend to lie to score a sore point.
Americans are no fools, and that is why Obama is not leading double digit now despite Bush's failings for the past 8 years. In this I agree with you. By the way, you can go on CNN and check the facts checker out. That Obama says its not true does not make it not true. Obama himself is a bloody liar, which is not surprising considering all Politicians are like that.

Joe Biden just spoke on TV a few minutes ago, if he were to speak exactly the way McCain spoke to night (name dropping) Palin would do well to not show up at the debate.
What name-dropping did Mccain do? Other that listing names of countries, and heads of states and recalling facts with clarity. He shows great understanding and wisdom for his age. The first person to go on attack in the debate was Obama and he met more than his match in McCain. He thinks this was going to be like the Democratic debate where everyone was afraid to address issues for fear of being called names.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 4:45am On Sep 27, 2008
Tayo-D:

@plus_Queen,
He did that not just once, but consistently even when McCain was refering to him as Snator. This shows nothing but arrogance. It was the same arrogance he's had all along that has kept him in trouble with rural America and Palin.
Please list the lies.

tWhy don't you list them.
He was just stressing his experience and dwelling on his strong point. Obama on the other hand, didn't have one strong point.
Like McCain said, the next President is not going to undo the decision of going to war in Iraq, but will have ot handle how the war is fought. So far, McCain has shown better judgement on that.
Obama voted almost 50% with Bush and Biden voted over 50% with Bush. Your point?
Unfortunately, he didn't have his teleprompter at the debate.  grin
He shared his record during the debate. You seriously believe this?
Of course, those who disagree with you are fools.

50% is an E
90% is an A wink
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 4:49am On Sep 27, 2008
Americans are no fools, and that is why Obama is not leading double digit now despite Bush's failings for the past 8 years. In this I agree with you. By the way, you can go on CNN and check the facts checker out. That Obama says its not true does not make it not true. Obama himself is a bloody liar, which is not surprising considering all Politicians are like that.

Honey we live in a country that just started to let blacks vote the other day.
The black population on America is 12% remember?
Race is still very much a factor in this country,if not my own husband would be the Chair of his dept. grin
Never forget that there are a group of people that'll not vote for Obama because of his skin color.
We cannot deny that fact.
The fact that he leads in the polls is actually a miracle and a testament that he's obviously an excellent candidate
Because had he been white and the race thing made irrelevant,we won't even be having this conversation.

There are folks even here where I live that'll rather be led to hell by a fellow white man than to heaven by a negro.
I hope they don't burn down my house when I mount my Obama poster in my front lawn(If oga permits)
That is something you cannot deny.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by Nobody: 4:50am On Sep 27, 2008
Strategy Score:

Obama A-
McCain B+

shugbon ta la win o?
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by davidylan4(m): 4:51am On Sep 27, 2008
Uncle Tayo, sorry but just to inform you that i made a point to stop the pointless, factless and irrelevant back and forth with you and ~Lady~. You both are more empty emotional bluster and no substance.

Here is a case in point - you were very emphatic here proclaiming that Palin was more qualified than Obama on the basis of 18 months as governor of Alaska . . . now Americans know better.

Another case in point -

Tayo-D:

Americans are no fools, and that is why Obama is not leading double digit now despite Bush's failings for the past 8 years.

I think the last poll showing that racism is the sole reason Obama isnt leading by double digits has been exhaustively debated on this section. The debate was made more prominent by your conspicous absence.

You can continue with your usual offpoint comments.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 4:55am On Sep 27, 2008
davidylan*:

Uncle Tayo, sorry but just to inform you that i made a point to stop the pointless, factless and irrelevant back and forth with you and ~Lady~. You both are more empty emotional bluster and no substance.

Here is a case in point - you were very emphatic here proclaiming that Palin was more qualified than Obama on the basis of 18 months as governor of Alaska . . . now Americans know better.

Another case in point -

I think the last poll showing that racism is the sole reason Obama isnt leading by double digits has been exhaustively debated on this section. The debate was made more prominent by your conspicous absence.

You can continue with your usual offpoint comments.

It'll be very dishonest for any minority living here in America who must have felt the effects of racism not to acknowledge this.
We don't want to give an impression that all Americans suddenly look beyond race when the office of  presidency is concerned.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by davidylan4(m): 4:56am On Sep 27, 2008
Tayo-D:

Obama voted almost 50% with Bush and Biden voted over 50% with Bush. Your point?

Another case in point . . . voting 2% or 804% with Bush is no game changer at all. You dont just oppose the president just so your voting record with Bush will be less than 2%.

Oh and by the way . . . some smart folks just unearthed the fact that McCain LIED on the 2 letters written by Dwight Eisenhower.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 4:58am On Sep 27, 2008
That this guy who nobody gave any chance whatsoever has come this far and actually debating a blonde blue eyed and doing pretty good cannot be overlooked.
I give him props!
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by TayoD1(m): 4:58am On Sep 27, 2008
@davidylan,

I have chosen to not waste my time on an issue that people are so passionately idealogue that you can not make a sensisble point to change anything. A while back, you agreed with me that the only reason that Obama is where he is today, is because he is Black. Now that you have done a flip-flop, how do you expect me to approach that.

Food for thought.

Obama, a black man has locked in over 95% of the Black vote while McCain, a white man has less than 5%.
Obama, a black man and McCain, a white man are equally competing for the White vote.

Considering the above fact, who do you think is a victim of RACE here? Let the facts speak this time and not your passion and prejudice. And believe me, I'll excuse myself from this discussion if you can't deal with issues without addressing my person.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 5:02am On Sep 27, 2008
Tayo-D:

@davidylan,
I have chosen to not waste my time on an issue that people are so passionately idealogue that you can not make a sensisble point to change anything. A while back, you agreed with me that the only reason that Obama is where he is today, is because he is Black. Now that you have done a flip-flop, how do you expect me to approach that.

Food for thought.

Obama, a black man has locked in over 95% of the Black vote while McCain, a white man has less than 5%.
Obama, a black man and McCain, a white man are equally competing for the White vote.

Considering the above fact, who do you think is a victim of RACE here? Let the facts speak this time and not your passion and prejudice. And believe me, I'll excuse myself from this discussion if you can't deal with issues without addressing my person.

I knew you'll come back  and say this
I was actually waiting for it
This almost sounds like what a kkk would say.
The population of blacks is 12% my dear
so how many people are you really talking about when compared to the black population?
what ever advancements the blacks have enjoyed especially affirmative action, under  whose administrations did they get it?
Would you want them to throw that away?
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 5:03am On Sep 27, 2008
A new poll by the way

For voters over 50 years old, preliminary polls

48% Obama
40% McCain
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by plusQueen: 5:07am On Sep 27, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Strategy Score:

Obama A-
McCain B+

shugbon ta la win o?

That B+ should have been a C-
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by davidylan4(m): 5:10am On Sep 27, 2008
Tayo-D:

A while back, you agreed with me that the only reason that Obama is where he is today, is because he is Black. Now that you have done a flip-flop, how do you expect me to approach that.

What "flip flop"? If George Bush were black do you think he would have ever been president? Obama is where he is today because he is actually more intelligent than many of those who have put themselves up for president. The fact that he's black was a novelty appeal for an American people hungry for change . . . anything but Bush and his cronies for another 4 years.

Now that reality is dawning that a black man might actually be president of the US, the old racist tendencies are now rearing their heads.

Tayo-D:

Food for thought.

You call this "food for thought"?  shocked I mean this doesnt require any cerebral gymnastics at all!

- Blacks are only 12% of the US population . . . 95% of that size is nothing!
- Who did you expect blacks to vote for? Blacks have been traditionally democrats since time immemorial, did you see any black face at the RNC? You expect blacks to vote for a traditionally racist party?  shocked This isnt rocket science bro.
- Obama and McCain are "equally" competing only for the sole reason that one is black and the other white. If Hillary Clinton were the one against McCain there'D be no need for debates . . . she'D be leading by 50%.

Again it aint rocket science. Do you people think at all?
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by savanaha: 5:10am On Sep 27, 2008
plus_Queen:

A new poll by the way

For voters over 50 years old, preliminary polls
48% Obama
40% McCain

See now this is shocking.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by bawomolo(m): 5:15am On Sep 27, 2008
latino's are a more important demographic in the election than blacks. especially those naughty cubans in florida. it seems obama is winning in the opinion polls
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by McKren(m): 5:17am On Sep 27, 2008
For those who watched the debate

Was there a time out on the debate?? How could John McCain have possibly approved this message?

He was practically still debating when this add came out

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/26/1456269.aspx

These guys are in a whole and they keep digging.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by TayoD1(m): 5:30am On Sep 27, 2008
@Davidylan,

- Blacks are only 12% of the US population . . . 95% of that size is nothing!
The issue here is not the size but the percentage.

- Who did you expect blacks to vote for? Blacks have been traditionally democrats since time immemorial, did you see any black face at the RNC?
Absolutely. You probably didn't watch the debate or too polarised to see it.

You expect blacks to vote for a traditionally racist party? This isnt rocket science bro.
Traditional Racist Party? You obviously don't know the history of the Blacks in the US. Was Abraham Lincoln a Democrat or a Republican? Perhaps we should start from there.

- Obama and McCain are "equally" competing only for the sole reason that one is black and the other white.
Mind you, the competition is for the White votes and not the Black votes that Obam has effectively conered. Who is racially polarised here?

If Hillary Clinton were the one against McCain there'D be no need for debates . . . she'D be leading by 50%.
keep dwelling on the hypothethical. The history we have is that Obama, a Black, defeated this same Clinton, a White.

Again it aint rocket science. Do you people think at all?
Again throwing insults as if that makes you smart. You totally lost the point of the whole gist about the percentage of balcks and whites that are in competition here. You should settle down and think about the issue rather than these outbursts.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by mazaje(m): 6:11am On Sep 27, 2008
obama stood up to mccain on his own tuff which is foreign policy, he has erased all the doubts people had about him by coming across like some one who is extensively knowledgeble on international affairs, he stood his ground and made it very clear how his policies and priorities will be. . . . . . . .why was mccbushes head on the ground? why couldnt he look at obama in the eyes?. . . . . . . . the next debate between sarah palin and joe biden will be good to watch most especially after palin's abysmal performance with katie couric on cbs.
Re: Countdown To The First Presidential Debate On Friday! by Ibime(m): 6:51am On Sep 27, 2008
Good morning all.

I recorded the debate last night and woke up at 4am to watch it.

I was expecting Obama to lose especially as the debate was supposed to be around foreign policy. However, I must admit he surprised me and he held his own. McCain attacked but Obama was gracious.

The most interesting thing I was following was the tracker for the independent voters. I noticed that the independent vote tracked well with Obama. For example, whilst McCain was debating, he was scoring 80% with the Republicans and 50% with the independents. However, when Obama was debating, he was scoring about 70% with Democrats and 65% with Independents. This shows that Independents relate more with Obama's point of view.

I think the debates were a measured success for Obama.

The most important thing was that he passed the 'comfortability' test. He actually looked comfortable as a President. This can only be good for his campaign.

(1) (2) (Reply)

US Declares War On Korea / Russia Military Base In Moscow On Fire In What Appears To Be Attempted Coup / Trump Caught Selling Pardons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.