Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer (7956 Views)

Russian Gamer To Sue Fallout 4 After Losing His Job & Wife To His Addiction / Wife Auctions Off 'Gamer' Husband On Craigslist / How Do You Know A Hardcore Gamer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2006
grin grin grin cheesy grin
i also recall reading somewhere that even the head bozos at SCE japan aint too happy with head honcho kutaragi cos he is all like the ps3 (the 3 from now on) is a personal project and he's so taken by the idea of CREATING the "most powerful gaming device" and less by the need to SELL the "most powerful gaming device" that he is at the point of committing marketing hara kiri that could very well drown sony if they didnt do something about the prospect of the ridiculous price. hell, they're even squabbling on whether the darn thing is a a game that also plays bluray media, OR a home entertainment system that *also* plays games. can u believe this crap? maybe i better start jotting links cos i lose track of where i pick up this stuff. i too dont fancy the 360 cos i generally have this long-standing beef with Redmond. <in a small voice; but i wont mind very much if i get an xbox360 for free>
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by c0dec(m): 8:11am On Jul 23, 2006
ladex142:

Advantages of Console game:

2. The ease of use of a console game is better than that of PC game because of the hazard of the keyboard and mice.
5. Console games tend to have a relatively low learning curve. You might need fast thumbs, but you certainly won't need to spend hours in a "tutorial" trying to learn how to operate basic game functions.

not neccessarily true for the wii.

"Arena Magazine":

* "After a hard day of work/surfing the internet, a relaxing blast on a shoot 'em up or a decent sports sim can be cathartic, with the Wii, vegging out is no longer an option."
* "Motion-sensing games don't work on small TVs – you need the on-screen gaming area to be as large as possible to properly read your body's graceful movements."
* "Many living rooms hardly have the space for a regular console, let alone one where up to four people might have to stand and wildly swing their arms about."

a wide screen TV is a must eh? so the revolution was to bring more rich folks into gaming. who's gonna start the revolution to bring more population from the 3rd world into gaming? ah. . . pirates.

and microsoft confirms zune
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 2:00pm On Jul 24, 2006
bobo codec, I call bullshit on that Arena magazine article. Out of context maybe, but it sounds like a load of sony-or-microsoft funded nonsense.

* you do NOT need a wide screen tv for the motion sensor to work because it uses positional sensing, not silly zapper-style light sensing. It can be calibrated for any screen size. In fact, it is ps3 and xbox that keep demanding that we buy HDTVs in order to truly appreciate their 'next gen graphics'. The wii is designed for standard def tvs. works for me.

* all the rubbish about wildly swinging arms around, needing space, and not needing a workout after work is just nonsense. Obviously most games wil require minimal movement, with small flicks of the wrist, you shouldnt get any more physical than you do during a healthy quake or other FPS session with a mouse.

Abeg o we should not be distracted. The people that are alienating non-rich folks are sony (obviously) and mS (HDTV+broadband or die). Wii's biggest advantage is that it will be the most accesible and cheapest.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 6:19pm On Jul 24, 2006
today marks a very happy day in my life.
found out that one of my best console games had been released for pc months before its ETA.
I'm talking about Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition!!!
anyways, didnt waste time downloading it. Here's d link i got for the not so faint of heart,
http://www.fevergame.net/phpBB2/index.php?showtopic=11771

now im off to play the life out of this baby!! YaY!!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by c0dec(m): 9:39pm On Jul 24, 2006
uhm. . . link dont work.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by ladex142(m): 11:10pm On Jul 24, 2006
The link does work, and am a fan of Devil may cry myself  smiley
eehhaa, it seems like you guys like the Nintendo Wii which is fine, but for me, i don't fancy it. Nintendo has never been in my consideration list, i don't know why. Can you guys give me reasons why i should be a Wii fan, and i don't want to hear about the Wii controller because i don't care about it   cool.

texazzpete:

today marks a very happy day in my life.
found out that one of my best console games had been released for pc months before its ETA.
I'm talking about Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition!!!
anyways, didnt waste time downloading it. Here's d link i got for the not so faint of heart,
http://www.fevergame.net/phpBB2/index.php?showtopic=11771

now im off to play the life out of this baby!! YaY!!

I try to download it but couldn't get through  angry, how did you download it ?  grin
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by ladex142(m): 11:28pm On Jul 24, 2006
Now that the next gen consoles is forcing gamers to consider buying a HD-TV, do you guys know the cheapest HD-TV out there with a screen size that is not less than 17inch grin
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by ladex142(m): 11:34pm On Jul 24, 2006
it's me again  grin, which of the next gen console do you guys like most. For me, i like the ps3 most  grin because of its massive features and functionality, even though the price is off the chain  grin, I'll still find the money and buy it even if i have to get a job  grin.
Here is a little something something i found online http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-122.html
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 11:04am On Jul 25, 2006
yo texas pete!

that site isnt 'naija friendly'

(ie it doesnt support resuming, and it requires a seperate session for each file so we cant turn on getright and go to sleep!)

think u can put em up on a webserver or boost them to turboupload.com for boys to download?

thanks!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 11:28am On Jul 25, 2006
wii controller
as a gimmick, good idea, as a functional piece of game control-forget abt it. its not going to work. somethings do not lend themselves to radical evolutions-things like gamepads, tv remotes, car steering wheels. the current way of things (i.e 4 way d pad and 8 way analog) is the most logical. u wont catch me tilting and yawing and flicking my wrists just to get chris redfield around the next corner. wii will definitely suck and the 3 will carry the day.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by clocky(m): 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2006
They always say that great ideas always look ridiculus in the first instance. Are you saying using a game pad is the only way we can play games. I dont think so. The games industry has suffered from lack of innovation in decades it is high time we see something more ambitious and revolutionally and that is why i lend my support to the wii controller
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2006
dakmanzero:

yo texas pete!

that site isnt 'naija friendly'

(ie it doesnt support resuming, and it requires a seperate session for each file so we can't turn on getright and go to sleep!)

think u can put em up on a webserver or boost them to turboupload.com for boys to download?

thanks!

for those of y'all who haven't been able to access d download page, try http://www.geocities.com/cohexz/DevilMayCry3.txt

@dakmanzero
I agree th elist of files can be quite daunting, but i downloaded all of them in one day. What i did was to download about 10 at the same time, they'd finish in about 10 mins max, then id run the other 10 and so on. kept nippin gin and out of work to check on them. I'm a DMC freak, all the way!!
hav eu tried using bittorent? I can't connect to bittorent networks from here, but im sure u can.
At least thank God say no be rapidshare dem upload the links. I swear i hate rapidshare.
Here's another option: PM me ur location and i cld burn it on a dvd and send it to you. Wouldn't mind taking ur call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 off you grin

dakmanzero:

Nothing hardcore there. Just desperation

Its like the PSP scene (which I'm currently a happy part of!) that spends forever simply trying to defeat the next protection sc heme sony puts out while never actually doing anything with the stinking device.

Just because you have to void warranty before trying to modify a device that does NOT take kindly to your modifications doesnt make u a hardcore GAMER. it makes u a hardcore ELECTRONICS BUFF. Go read the blogs of the people doing these things and find out how many of them actually play goddamn games at all?!?!??!?!

Dude, trying to argue the hardcore thing will just make us waste time. Hardcore is when you take a particular hobby seriously enough to need it to be fine-tuned to your exact specifications. Which is more akin to that, a pc that can be coded for at will or a console that u need to solder half-functional fake-arse rubbish from kowloon onto?!?!?!??

also how many console gamers actually do this rubbish? show me one and ill show u a dude who hooked a RADIATOR to his pc to get its ghz above 5! blows all the ps3 and xbox360 nonsense out of the water, now, doesnt that?!

Shebi u've installed the wonder that is Devhook 0.45 on ur PSP? God bless those guys, have u tried Tekken PSP? Best. handheld.Game.Ever
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 1:16pm On Jul 25, 2006
interesting. these people are dishing out extremely powerful consoles and all some people find to pique their natural curiosity is a gizmo of a controller in the least powerful console in the lineup. odd, that. fancy control pads are not my idea of nextgen gaming cos for the most part wen we say next gen the first thing that comes to mind are incredible never-before-seen grafx, not control pads.
and whatever darkmanzero may say (respects again, man) i find the 3 revolutionary but this is going to be clear only wen u know how traiditional games (meaning current gen) process grafix and how next gen (meaning 360 and the 3) revolutionized the process. every genereation of console up to the sixth was made on the premise that it offered flashier grfx and better sound and u may argue that grafx arent all that a factor, and i'll agree with you cos first and foremost games MUST BE FUN, but the bloody truth is a lot of people daydream HOW a nextgen FF will look rather than WHAT it'll play like. its like wen pixar and dreamworks are out with a new CGI movie and people are like wow cant wait 2 see what the visuals are like, and it is precisely becos of this mentality that sometimes we boo off ugly-looking games before we give ourselves the chance to find out how fun it really is. im not really rooting for the 3 to the point that i exclude the possibilities of the wii pad, but im not simply basing my nextgen expectations on a control pad. a lot of folks who got their mitts on a preproduction wii pad came away with mixed feelings as it was a bit crappy in FPS and sports sims but its still preprod and may turn out different.
like i said earlier, innovation is good, but somethings just dont lend themselves easily to the evoluttinary process. they tried replacing the steeringwheel with a joy stick and other contraptions but it didnt work. and control pads are a bit like steering wheels in that they feel much more natural and we grew with them through the generations so asking us to make an overnight adaptation is sheer lunacy. wii games may play differnt, but will they bo more fun on that account alone? that is a pertinent question but then each to his own.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by c0dec(m): 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2006
texazzpete:

for those of y'all who haven't been able to access d download page, try http://www.geocities.com/cohexz/DevilMayCry3.txt

@dakmanzero
I agree th elist of files can be quite daunting, but i downloaded all of them in one day. What i did was to download about 10 at the same time, they'd finish in about 10 mins max, then id run the other 10 and so on. kept nippin gin and out of work to check on them. I'm a DMC freak, all the way!!
hav eu tried using bittorent? I can't connect to bittorent networks from here, but im sure u can.
At least thank God say no be rapidshare them upload the links. I swear i hate rapidshare.
Here's another option: PM me your location and i cld burn it on a dvd and send it to you. Wouldn't mind taking your call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 off you grin

Shebi u've installed the wonder that is Devhook 0.45 on your PSP? God bless those guys, have u tried Tekken PSP? Best. handheld.Game.Ever

lol. no pain. no gain.

password please.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 2:37pm On Jul 25, 2006
i dunno if its kind of a sympathy thing, maybe the whole SNES/gameboy culture is so ingrained in folks they cant afford to admit that nintendo makes mistakes sometimes cos seriously i dont see much nintendo bashing going around. ever since nintendo announced lower specs people made it sound oh-so-cool and suddenly everything is wrong with bigger-faster-flashier. so what exactly is wrong with gr8 grafx? what is wrong with having higher specs and the potential for more immersive games? and the price; oh my gawd sony are infor it! $600 for a console? pure theft, right? but what abt the evo? envizion are charging close to $700 for their game/tivo hybrid but strange none of u 3 bashers are saying much. u see nintendo is now playing the underdog and made sony seem the aggressor and now people see the devil in the ps3 and start going "its all about gameplay" and yet no one so far has told us in this forum HOW the wii pad will make games more fun over and beyond all we know. all we great games we love and enjoy employ conventional pads and that doesnt make them any less fun to play. also, no one has yet told us how superb grafx will diminish the quality of games rather than add to the ambience of reality. if gameplay is all that counts why did we bother with five generations?
u seruiously cannot make much of a case for the wii pad as the definition of nextgen, nextgen is and always will be superb grafx, incredible sound and (in the present context) faster broadbanding and high definition video. gameplay usually comes later when the eye candy is losing its appeal and devs have a firmer grip on the hardware. i tink im going to be a 3 hugger after all. lol
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2006
c0dec:

lol. no pain. no gain.

password please.

PASSWORD
~SNK-DV~TH-RIPER+<CZ>

exactly as it appears above!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 3:14pm On Jul 25, 2006
@Neoteny
At E3, the Wii had a record number of people on the line, waiting to play it. far far more than the ps3 and x360 put together. Most of the impressions say ppl had fun using it for FPS and madden 2007. perhaps the controller needed a little more fine tuning, but at least it shows potential.
i'm a nintendo fanboy, but ill probably get a ps3. Winning Eleven Probably wont comeout on the Wii, so there i go.
as for your talk about the allure of graphics, why doesn't the same logic apply to the Nintendo DS vs the PSP. You have the DS with a Gfx power barely above N64 level and the PSP with power almost on par with the ps2. Yet the DS (old and Lite edition) is outselling the PSP badly.

On another note, i've been following this discussion for some time and i only wish the lamers who spout the "video games are for kids" line would see the amount of reasoning power some of u guys bring to bear in these pages.
As for me, i'm lookin forward to playing Winning Eleven 32 with my grandkids grin
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2006
c0dec:

lol. no pain. no gain.

password please.

If u got any probs playign the game, lemme know. it's protected by Securom Technology so u need 2 use daemon tools 4.03 to mount the imae and then use securom loader v 1.2 to run it. All of these are included in the package u download,
Really sucky playingn DMC ona keyboard. anyone know where i can get a good pc pad?
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by c0dec(m): 3:25pm On Jul 25, 2006
thanks. still downloading though. . .

a good pad? i use the best controller yet - the PS2 pad with a "USB Dual PS2 to PC Convertor XP". worth it!

just checked. . . it's sold out. there are other converters though, but this one is the best. watch that space.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 3:32pm On Jul 25, 2006
Neoteny, from ure posts I gather ure argument is:

more powerful visuals have driven innovation in gaming

gimmicks and new controllers have not

shebi? correct me if Im wrong.

if thats the case, I'll beg to differ. Nintendo themselves have tried to lead the pack with power before, with the N64, and failed miserably. Later, xbox led the pack and ps2 (least powerful console) still won.

graphical power is good, but it is gameplay innovation that usually wins.

Turbografx and megadrive fought NES for so long and failed to catch on despite superior graphics. SNES eventually took over because of

* New controller with many buttons (eventually copied by sega)
* Mode 7 ( created new forms of gameplay despite being primitive-looking)

in the next generation, Saturn failed against PS despite better specs and more powerful hardware (albeit difficult to program, like ps3. ps1 was dev heaven, i gather). N64 failed against ps despite by far superior graphics. PSX won due to:

* CD storage- allowed for fmv's and speech which made some new types of game which were impossible on n64- not on saturn, though
* 3d hardware- despite being inferior to the 3d hardware in saturn, it was easier to use, so the innovative new games shined better on ps
* analog control- this innovation was invented by nintendo, and to tell the truth, 3d gaming would NEVER have caught on if not for this. Sony won by quickly leveraging their high install base gotten by innovating with 3d and cd-multimedia

the following generation saw the least innovation, and is indeed the only generation where sheer graphical power was the deciding factor.

The problem is that today, the success of ps2 has made most industry personnel forget the fact that the graphics of ps1 were sufficiently bad for a graphical update console to be a great leap forward. Not the case today.

case in point: I recently got a radeon x800 for my pc, and played a very recent game, prey. The graphics are mind-bogglingly good, and better than anything a console can produce today without the aid of HDTV.

however

it

does

nothing

for

the

game.

the motion sensing controller is not a gimmick. analog control was not a gimmick. shoulder buttons were not a gimmick. the ds stylus is not a gimmick. ALL the previous inovations changed the face of gaming. even you call the dual analog shoulder button equipped pad 'perfect'. you would probably have called the SNES pad perffect before that, and the NES pad pefrfect before that.

wii control will make new games. Lets see what they are like, first. Rest assured if they are a big hit, your friends at sony will copy wholesale (like they did with shoulderbuttons and analog styicks!) and better than that stupid joke they pulled at e3!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 3:47pm On Jul 25, 2006
TEXAS PETE!!!!

naija friendlinesss=

download manager friendly! our net connections go down so often here that if we cant resume it is hell! and that site is not getright friendly, so I cant use it!

also, BT is NOT naija friendly becausde 99.9999% of us are behind NAT routers and proxies! even at home on my starcomms link!

I would be mucho grateful if u can send me the dvd, are u in Naija? I dont know how ill get the cod2 and q4 across to you (both are in ISO format, easy to burn to dvd, but sending stuff to YAnkee/jand is hard)

if u can come up with ay easy way for me to get my stuff across to u, just ask! if ure in naija there will be no wahala
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by c0dec(m): 4:20pm On Jul 25, 2006
another link but it's rapidshare. . . http://games.katz.ws/d/484360

you can find lots of other titles from that site. bad thing is most of them are hosted on rapidshare. . . bah
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2006
1. texazzpete wasn't created because i live or was bron in texas (i wish). the origins of that name is less exotic. Remember the bad guy in Superted? texas pete!! Now the cat is out of the bag. Its not something i tell to just anyone sha, because i still ove receiving 419 mails from my fellow naijans who think im in texas. I reply them, of course!

2. Yep, i'm in Warri at the moment. Unlike most of the illustrious members of this fprum, i haven't stepped outside these shores. i plan to remedy that this october. Hope i'm still there when the Wii or the ps3 launches  grin

c0dec:

thanks. still downloading though. . .

a good pad? i use the best controller yet - the PS2 pad with a "USB Dual PS2 to PC Convertor XP". worth it!

just checked. . . it's sold out. there are other converters though, but this one is the best. watch that space.

I really wish u didn't tell me this, now i can't sleep well this night. ive been looking for this stuf for a while now, and it's noweher to be seen in lagos. ive only ever seen it in lik Sang (a hong kong site). and my sister just left the UK for naija 2days ago. Oh, the injustice of it all!!

@dakmanzero
i'm shocked BT doesnt work with starcomms. there goes another of my dreams,
Also got Max payne 2, Chronicles of riddick, Doom 3, battlefield 1942, Halo, Far Cry and one or two others.
Downloaded the prey demo, fantastic graphics, havent played that far to review the gameplay yet,

BTW, from what i hear without a HDTV the next gen consoles won't look that much better than current-gen systems. Anyone here own an x360? how does it look on normal TVs?
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2006
Hands up if you hate rapidshare!! angry
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 4:57pm On Jul 25, 2006
rapidshare sucks. They dont support resuming. Just like that site.

starcomms doesnt actuially block bt, but you always get a 'yellow connection' where you cant recieve direct connections. your downloads then become sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

If ure in warri then we can exchange easily via dhl! Im not sure how much it costs to send cds, maybe we figure that out, ne?

is it easy for u to download games? if so, would u mind looking for prey? I wouldnt mind that, after playing the demo!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2006
granted the n64 had superior power than the ps, but the console failed becos it had fewer game devs supporting it and not because it has more "oomph". to cite its case as an example of what can go wrong in a power-laden console is to look beside the core point of this argument: is nextgen gaming-indeed gaming as a whole- controller focused or grafix centric? like i said before wen u look forward to the next gen instinctively u visualize superb pixar-like grafx in ur mind's eye and u tend to lose yourself in dreaming of how new iterations of ur fave games are going to look like after taking a nextgen shower. yes people crowded the nintendo booth but thats just cos of the hype surroundig the pad and people want to see what the yak yak was all about. if u get bloggers and forums debating over certain issues(as we are doing now) you generate high interest levels.

and yes the ds is outselling psp but u can make the same argument for that as in the case of the ps vs n64: better games catalog. if the ps3 can have substantial developer base theres no question it'll outsell the wii which may go the way of the gamecube. and remember both xbox and gamecube were outsold by ps2 only becos sony has a bigger team of devs.

a lot of people going on about how great the wii is are merely "me too" hangers on and fanboys, and nintendo is hinging all its bets on this crowd. they failed miserably with the GC and now they are trying a last ditch effort to convince the world bigger isnt better.

and yes to your question, darkmanzero; more visuals HAVE driven innovation in all previous console generations and it was on account of this that sony and microsoft went the way of intense GPU's and multicore processing. on what bandwagon were the currentgen delivered? GRAFIX! so nintendo are taking a different tack; well good
for them and goodluck, but i'll love to see how you are going to hit a couple of birdies and hole-in-ones on ur couch with that gizmo.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 5:20pm On Jul 25, 2006
Good point, yes, but don't forget another all too important factor.
co$t!
With the price of the ps3 pegged at $600 (forget abt the other configuration) starting up is always gonna be a stretch for John Q. Public out there. But that isn't what gonna bring on the pain.
With the enhanced graphics power, people out there wanna see photorealistic stuff, and that drives development costs up. how many small studios can afford to develop a top-flight games for the Ps3?
Word's out ont he street that ps3 games may cost up to $60. I believe that's what x360 games go for.
then we have the wii. go through online forums, you'll find that the cheap price is drawing crowds to it in droves. It doesnt cost more to develop a game for the wii than the game cube. and nintendo is giving out the Development Kits for the wii at just $10000. Dont even try to guess how much sony offers the Ps3 kit.
Wii games are tentatively pegged at $40 each. see the price difference?
Over the holiday periods inthe US and the UK, most copnsoles are bought as gifts. how many middle class american parents will pass over a $199 console and get a $600 console for their kid as an xmas or bday gift?
do u even wanna know how much the ps3 will cost when ithits naija? i can bet its gonna hit 150k in some places.
people liek u and i can afford it, yeah, but how many students and ordinary folk out there can afford to pick up a ps3 anytime soon?
At least Microsoft will announce a price drop oin the 360 when the ps3 comes out, but even the most optimistic analysts don't see sony dropping the price of the ps3 by any appreciable extent for aeons to come.

to an extent i agree with u. naijans are graphics whores and i dont think the wii will catch on over here. unless it has winning eleven. but then i doubt it. nigerians dislike change!!
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by texazzpete(m): 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2006
hmm, talking about NDS and the PSP, u guys been hearin the rumors of an impending Microsoft handheld? A gaming version of the zune?

Also, rumors/reports say Apple is about penning a deal with NVIDIA for a graphics chip in next gen ipods. Let's hope they don't do an Ngage,
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2006
@tezzazzpete
everyone wants to make a handheld these days. samsung are out with 2 i think.

anyway now u hav brought on the REAL issue that may hinder the 3:cost. but remember wen the 2 came out and how expensive it was? i bought my first ps2 around 120 in abuja in 2002 and a pirated Gt aspec burnt on split cdroms for 15k. and yes it put a big hole in my pocket but at the time i felt it was worth the cost cos i was dying to have a rip at the console. now if the ps3 costs the same a lot of us may not be able to afford it but that doesnt mean prices wont come down someday. i see fairly used 2s selling for from 18 to 15 k here in kd. ive seen a psp going for 17k. and yes a lot of smaller devs may not be able to develop for the 3 and whatnot, but you also forgot that the gameplaying demographic is exploding and this translates to more customer base. far more people are playing games now than ever and sensibly devcos are exploring the possibility of merging. and even so, costs spiral out of budget if ur ambitions are high, as happened with The Getaway. take the case of hollywood; big studios make good flicks, but most times the indies with smaller budgets make better movies and the same can apply in the gaming industry.

and also i remarked that evo costs a little less than $700 so why isnt much stink made about it?

i dont have anything against nintendo and nintendogs, but i just cannot accept that their pad defines the concept of nextgen gaming. gaming is a mostly visual experience and the pad MAY add to the gameplay but its role is complementary and not the defining point.
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 5:40pm On Jul 25, 2006
saw last night in cnn that AMD is buying out ATI. thoughts?
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by dakmanzero(m): 5:42pm On Jul 25, 2006
everyone just loves to bash the ngage!

ngage was a great idea executed poorly, but not poorly enough to generate the level of HATRED it has recieved! give the lil thing a break. Mine served me well till it got stolen,

apple console? hmmmm, microsoft handheld? make we see. no comment on either.

@neoteny

n64 had a dearth of devs because the console dev kits were too expensive, and nintendo were being assholes

who are the people putting out overpriced junk and acting like assholes this time?

ps2 had the lion's share of devs cos of the crazy hype. The ps3 hype machine has already fallen on its face. Who's the hype champion now? u guessed it, the big N!
funny enough I am already getting sick of the amount of sony-bashing and nintendo-praise in the media right now, its actually getting out of hand! I have a psp and it isnt as bad as people are making it out to be! Yet it seems as if the ds is the holy grail and psp's are just pieces of sh*t

as to the final yan where u said gfx are driving innovation, you failed to refute the evidence i gave where the graphically superior consoles are defeated again and again in the console race, instead telling me why other factors were invovled! My point is that OTHER FACTORS (thus your excuses) are what decide the winner,  so u are reinforcing my point.

visuals are cool but bubs, most of the casual gamers out there cant tell the difference, duuuude. I remember showing one guy Doom 3 and he was like 'shebi its just like quake na? theres no difference (difrense) na is just a gun dey are showin, d grafix are fake!!!!!'
Re: It's Expensive To Be A Next Generation Gamer by Neoteny(m): 6:05pm On Jul 25, 2006
nna abeg no bother wit casual gamers cos them no sabi their first person view from their over-the-shoulder. and if u ever mention make we give ngage (yuck! P-U) a chance again im leaving this forum. i pity the mumu wey nab ya own.

but seriously i keep repeating that im not allout rooting for the 3, but theres so much i cant stomach wen it comes to nintendo. all i can say about them is that i respest their fanboys for such dogged loyalty. and the mindless bloggers who gush incessantly about the pad as if they've held one. haba!

graphically advanced consoles were meant to usher in a new generation all the time, but improper policies and marketing and that stupid gluttony for ludicrous royalty often ends a consoles progression. but that didnt stop the premise that games are an audio/visual experience and it is on that same platform that all generations were defined. now be honest and tell me your nextgen expectations a year or two ago. did motion sensing pads loomed larger in your minds or were you visualizing how DMC would look in nextgen garb? Allah i cant stand much more of this idiocy by nintendogs. and i really cant figure out wat the hell the rage is about the DS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Can Now Install Gta 5 On Android Using These Steps... / Ios Fifa 15 Friend Challenge / Will You Play Games In A Gaming Lounge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.