Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (218) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (912374 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (508) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Gallass(m): 8:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

it will only be a problem if your evap purge valve is stuck open.

I think it opens and closes because sometimes you hear the hiss, sometimes you don't
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:14pm On Aug 18, 2020
Gallass:

I think it opens and closes because sometimes you hear the hiss, sometimes you don't

You should never hear a his. Worst case are short pulses.

Stop self diagnosis and find a tech who understands the principles of how modern day vehicles work.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nymphomaniac(m): 8:34pm On Aug 18, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I go comot ya teeth just now.
600yrs curse you want?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Gallass(m): 8:37pm On Aug 18, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

You should never hear a his. Worst case are short pulses.

Stop self diagnosis and find a tech who understands the principles of how modern day vehicles work.
okay
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Activity77(m): 10:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
3kay945:

I know whatsapp group for Toyota/lexus
Please can you add me to the group... 07030768686
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by freeman500: 2:16am On Aug 19, 2020
Gallass:
Gazzuzz and other heroes in this forum.... I greet o.

I need you guy's opinion on this issue.
2001 QX4
3.5L VQ35

Fuel consumption increased significantly since last week. Black exhaust smoke at start up (both warm and cold start).
car idles erratically but drives perfectly in motion.
This minute it's normal, the next second, the RPM will drop as low as 300 and goes back to 750 after like 3-5 seconds and the cycle continues.
Car drives very fine but idles poorly and erratically (up and down) especially in traffic.
Spark plug inspection showed black smoke on plug 1.
Car was scanned. I didn't quite note down the DTC but the interpretation is Oxygen sensor Sensor 2 bank 1.

Live data brought up the following (pic attached)
Auto elect said I should come for change of oxygen sensor tomorrow.
I will appreciate your inputs before I go ahead and spend
Did you wash your engine bay recently?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oluwaleokey: 10:26am On Aug 19, 2020
Hey senior men
I just discovered i need to change my gear oil. I have never changed the gear oil ever since i bought the car although the gear still selects perfectly well

Please which of the gear oil can you recommend for a 2004 toyota camry (big daddy).
Are there essential things i need change maybe oil or car components
I have only been changing engine oil n oil filter
Will appreciate your input
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nymphomaniac(m): 1:59pm On Aug 19, 2020
freeman500:

Did you wash your engine bay recently?
I plan on visiting a steam wash tomorrow for my radiator and the engine. Does it affect the engine performance?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Vbabs(m): 2:29pm On Aug 19, 2020
2003 Toyota Highlander, came in as 4WD, the propeller and Auxiliary have been diagnosed as bad. Technician is recommending conversion to Front wheel drive...

Any harm or side effect in doing this asides the SUV not running on all Fours ?

@ GAZZUZZ
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by omorkelly(m): 2:35pm On Aug 19, 2020
oluwaleokey:
Hey senior men
I just discovered i need to change my gear oil. I have never changed the gear oil ever since i bought the car although the gear still selects perfectly well

Please which of the gear oil can you recommend for a 2004 toyota camry (big daddy).
Are there essential things i need change maybe oil or car components
I have only been changing engine oil n oil filter
Will appreciate your input

Check your gear oil dip stick, the recommended oil is written on its side
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 3:47pm On Aug 19, 2020
Vbabs:
2003 Toyota Highlander, came in as 4WD, the propeller and Auxiliary have been diagnosed as bad. Technician is recommending conversion to Front wheel drive...

Any harm or side effect in doing this asides the SUV not running on all Fours ?

@ GAZZUZZ
In order of priority,
1. Sack that technician
2. Have another competent technician carefully check the car again,
3. Replace the bad parts and do not convert.

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2020
seanfer:

Replace the knock sensor

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Oligarki: 5:53pm On Aug 19, 2020
omorkelly:

Check your gear oil dip stick, the recommended oil is written on its side

No need to replace atf under normal driving condition.
I do not understand this... I cant see where the type of oil to be used is indicated on the side

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by freeman500: 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2020
nymphomaniac:
I plan on visiting a steam wash tomorrow for my radiator and the engine. Does it affect the engine performance?
Sometime ago I washed the engine bay of my Altima and it started rough idling. Later discovered it was the intake manifold.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adubam(m): 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2020
nymphomaniac:

Never make the mistake of driving it immediately after wash. All your belts may fly out do to the soap making them slippery. If it is not necessary then avoid it.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nymphomaniac(m): 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2020
adubam:

Never make the mistake of driving it immediately after wash. All your belts may fly out do to the soap making them slippery. If it is not necessary then avoid it.
thank you for the advice.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by benitdavid: 4:40am On Aug 20, 2020
hello House
I've been battling with this error code on my 2003 corolla. pls I need advise on how to solve this problem

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 6:16am On Aug 20, 2020
benitdavid:
hello House
I've been battling with this error code on my 2003 corolla. pls I need advise on how to solve this problem
Check your CTS sensor.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:38am On Aug 20, 2020
benitdavid:
hello House

No thermostat, fan connected directly tongue

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by benitdavid: 6:41am On Aug 20, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

No thermostat, fan connected directly tongue

so I have to buy thermostat?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by benitdavid: 6:41am On Aug 20, 2020
kingreign:
Check your CTS sensor.
pls what's CTS sensor?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 6:55am On Aug 20, 2020
benitdavid:

pls what's CTS sensor?
Bro, for you to be asking me what a CTS sensor is, I'd suggest you take your cat to a competent technician to properly diagnose and fix.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:33am On Aug 20, 2020
benitdavid:

so I have to buy thermostat?

kingreign:

Bro, for you to be asking me what a CTS sensor is, I'd suggest you take your cat to a competent technician to properly diagnose and fix.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by hollaryincar(m): 12:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Hi Gazzuzz

Toyota Matrix 03 threw check engine light when we were returning from Abeokuta to Lagos

We got it scanned and got P0420 error code.

How do we fix it

NB: The vehicle was bought some weeks ago as Tokunbo and that it's first long journey here
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:01pm On Aug 20, 2020
hollaryincar:
Hi Gazzuzz

Toyota Matrix 03 threw check engine light when we were returning from Abeokuta to Lagos

We got it scanned and got P0420 error code.

How do we fix it

NB: The vehicle was bought some weeks ago as Tokunbo and that it's first long journey here

With age catalytic converters will burn out.

You have 3 options.

1 Replace catalytic converter

2. Install O2 spacer

https://www.nairaland.com/5731965/90-degree-oxygen-sensor-spacer

3. Ignore code.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by hollaryincar(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
Thanks boss

GAZZUZZ:

With age catalytic converters will burn out.

You have 3 options.

1 Replace catalytic converter

2. Install O2 spacer

https://www.nairaland.com/5731965/90-degree-oxygen-sensor-spacer

3. Ignore code.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by morinto: 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2020
My Toyota corolla refuse to start. After sometimes it started and later he refuse to start even though the car crank. Don't know if it is the fuel because the day I bought fuel treatment that was the day the refuse to start
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by David50: 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2020
morinto:
My Toyota corolla refuse to start. After sometimes it started and later he refuse to start even though the car crank. Don't know if it is the fuel because the day I bought fuel treatment that was the day the refuse to start

Open ur tank and examine your fuel filter... it may have been clogged by debris accelerated by the fuel treatment u used
... (trust me, I'm speaking from experience)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by morinto: 9:38pm On Aug 20, 2020
David50:

Open ur tank and examine your fuel filter... it may have been clogged by debris accelerated by the fuel treatment u used
... (trust me, I'm speaking from experience)
Sorry to ask but did your car refuse to start again or can u tell me the symptoms in details?
Thank u Because I want to call mechanic to check mine
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by David50: 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
morinto:
Sorry to ask but did your car refuse to start again or can u tell me the symptoms in details?
Thank u Because I want to call mechanic to check mine

A day after using an injector cleaner product, I was driving down the highway, then my car began to hesitate vigorously. I managed to drive it down to my office then ran a scan. It indicated that the system was running lean. I knew there was a blockage somewhere.

Luckily for me, I had the tools necessary to get the job done, so I proceeded to work out the fuel pump and low and behold, milky-feather like debris that weren't there a week ago (cus i examined it then) had saturated the tank.
This I believe is because the injector cleaner only did half the job - it exposed all the impurities in the fuel system but was insufficient to expunge them.

Fortunately, I always carry a spare fuel pump in my boot so I changed it. The car ran well for about a week, then I had the same experience again. This was because the tank was still full of those debris... To solve this problem, someone recommended a very powerful fuel cleanser to me. One round of it and my tank was as clear as crystal.

To be thorough, u can also check ur injectors too as the impurities may have made their way there.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oluayebenz: 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2020
David50:

A day after using an injector cleaner product, I was driving down the highway, then my car began to hesitate vigorously. I managed to drive it down to my office then ran a scan. It indicated that the system was running lean. I knew there was a blockage somewhere.

Luckily for me, I had the tools necessary to get the job done, so I proceeded to work out the fuel pump and low and behold, milky-feather like debris that weren't there a week ago (cus i examined it then) had saturated the tank.
This I believe is because the injector cleaner only did half the job - it exposed all the impurities in the fuel system but was insufficient to expunge them.

Fortunately, I always carry a spare fuel pump in my boot so I changed it. The car ran well for about a week, then I had the same experience again. This was because the tank was still full of those debris... To solve this problem, someone recommended a very powerful fuel cleanser to me. One round of it and my tank was as clear as crystal.

To be thorough, u can also check ur injectors too as the impurities may have made their way there.

Please what is the name of that very powerful fuel cleanser you use
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by morinto: 11:41pm On Aug 20, 2020
David50:

Thank u bro. I appreciate the information

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (508) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.