Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (916769 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by FineUsername(m): 9:40pm On Nov 21, 2021
FineUsername:

Former and current. Thanks.

Good evening guys,

Been using Mobil 2000 for servicing but used Mobil 1 some months back due to Mobil 2000 scarcity.

Car is due for servicing now, can I go back to Mobil 2000?

KingReign Gazzuzz Dru Rad et al.

Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2021
FineUsername:

Good evening guys,

Been using Mobil 2000 for servicing but used Mobil 1 some months back due to Mobil 2000 scarcity.

Car is due for servicing now, can I go back to Mobil 2000?

KingReign Gazzuzz Dru Rad et al.

Thanks.

Both are 5W30 fully synthetic right?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by FineUsername(m): 9:52pm On Nov 21, 2021
kingreign:

Both are 5W30 fully synthetic right?
Yes both are 5W30. The Mobil 1 is Advanced Fully Synthetic and Mobil 2000 is semi-synthetic (as written on the container).
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 9:56pm On Nov 21, 2021
FineUsername:

Yes both are 5W30. The Mobil 1 is Advanced Fully Synthetic and Mobil 2000 is semi-synthetic (as written on the container).

Stick to the first product you were using initially.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 10:18pm On Nov 21, 2021
9icetoo:

On the contrary, I am not derailing. Just helping clear the air in a car related problem. I was not selling tokunbo radiator from abroad sir. smiley

I no get ur time now .. I dey very busy, once work slow down for me . I go get ur time.. I am so excited and looking for to it ........
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:37am On Nov 22, 2021
dru23:

I no get ur time now .. I dey very busy, once work slow down for me . I go get ur time.. I am so excited and looking for to it ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uvu1zuNioI

5 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adubam(m): 8:50am On Nov 22, 2021
kingreign:

It's not an argument. You made a false allegation against me and I have all the rights to deny and ask you to prove that I did it and you're claiming not to argue.

Please, provide a screenshot of my number dialed on your phone showing the call logs and between you and I

Fact: I am a married man with kid, I also have other responsibilities and job outside nairaland and car businesses. Nobody has ever complained that they called and I didn't answer as long as it's within 7-9:30pm.
If I see a missed call I call back or send an SMS to apologize for not picking that call or delay in calling back.

I still challenge you, pls provide proofs by screenshotting call logs between you and I.

I await your reply.
Thanks in advance for providing these proofs.

Shocker alert: the person you quoted and labelled me in a disapproving manner spoke to me on Saturday, we met and I helped him out with diagnosis.

Hope you are now alright?

Check your phone history and look for the number that ends with ****66184. You picked and said call me back in 5 minutes and when I called your phone was switched off and you never called back. Mind you before I could get to you was always on phone switch. Just applogise and move on. I have already moved on.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kookny(m): 9:21am On Nov 22, 2021
Kokomo:

perhaps a blown head gasket, do you notice any misfire? when idling or driving?

Thanks mahn... a mechanic later fixed it. Discovered a leakage in radiator tank underneath. Got a new one and replaced it

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kookny(m): 9:23am On Nov 22, 2021
Structuralman:

Also check your radiator cover to ensure the leakage is not from there.

Thanks bro.

It was due to leakage in d radiator bucket. Fixed it now. Tho' i managed d situation laidat for over six months

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 9icetoo(m): 10:30am On Nov 22, 2021

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 10:37am On Nov 22, 2021
adubam:

Check your phone history and look for the number that ends with ****66184. You picked and said call me back in 5 minutes and when I called your phone was switched off and you never called back. Mind you before I could get to you was always on phone switch. Just applogise and move on. I have already moved on.

I have gone thru my call logs, and I found your contact called me on 2 occasions. 14th Nov and 15th Nov cumulatively approx 1min 10secs.
I apologize for not calling back. Could be due to a lot on my mind or recent stress levels. But definitely not due to pride and arrogance.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aboyaji(m): 10:54am On Nov 22, 2021
Good day all. Please, what causes failure on the throttling in Honda civic 2008? It only happens whenever I'm accelerating an inclined surface or in traffic for sometime and tries zooming off quickly, but it dawdled, moved slowly, tries getting energy or something then picks up in the process and moves faster.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by toyeoye(m): 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2021
kingreign:

I have gone thru my call logs, and I found your contact called me on 2 occasions. 14th Nov and 15th Nov cumulatively approx 1min 10secs.
I apologize for not calling back. Could be due to a lot on my mind or recent stress levels. But definitely not due to pride and arrogance.

Three gbosa for the mature post abeg cool

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by FineUsername(m): 12:28pm On Nov 22, 2021
kingreign:

Stick to the first product you were using initially.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Phargbemmy(m): 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2021
aboyaji:
Good day all. Please, what causes failure on the throttling in Honda civic 2008? It only happens whenever I'm accelerating an inclined surface or in traffic for sometime and tries zooming off quickly, but it dawdled, moved slowly, tries getting energy or something then picks up in the process and moves faster.

@Gazzuz
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aboyaji(m): 3:35pm On Nov 22, 2021
Phargbemmy:

@Gazzuzz
you have similar issues?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Phargbemmy(m): 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2021
aboyaji:
you have similar issues?

I need not have same issue before I learn from that of others. U will agree that is what this forum is all about, LEARNING
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aboyaji(m): 6:58pm On Nov 22, 2021
Phargbemmy:

I need not have same issue before I learn from that of others. U will agree that is what this forum is all about, LEARNING
yeah... Thumbs up
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adeinfinit(m): 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2021
aboyaji:

I have similar issue with my Civic 2007. Gurus in the house, please help
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by honsule(m): 9:31am On Nov 23, 2021
My Toyota corolla 2005 doesn't consume fuel much, (I bought the car from a professor in University of Ibadan, and the engine has never been open (so the mechanic told me), everything intact, custom papers indicated he imported the car in 2016), but i discovered of recent when a mechanic checked the exhaust, it has no Catalyst. so, my thoughts are 1. should i buy cat and get it welded on the head of the exhaust, or (2) i should tell them to weld pipe wink i just need advice
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Structuralman: 9:49am On Nov 23, 2021
honsule:
My Toyota corolla 2005 doesn't consume fuel much, (I bought the car from a professor in University of Ibadan, and the engine has never been open (so the mechanic told me), everything intact, custom papers indicated he imported the car in 2016), but i discovered of recent when a mechanic checked the exhaust, it has no Catalyst. so, my thoughts are 1. should i buy cat and get it welded on the head of the exhaust, or (2) i should tell them to weld pipe wink i just need advice

Catalytic converter doesn't improve fuel efficiency. It simply converts all the toxic gases produced by the engine to less harmful gases before releasing it into the atmosphere. In this part of the country we don't do emissions test otherwise your Corolla would fail an emissions test. If I were the owner of your Corolla I would keep using it like that since you said it doesn't consume fuel much.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nickyosas(m): 10:26am On Nov 23, 2021
@kingreign @adubam Thanks for resolving this and not derailing the thread. At time, its not because you are smart an all that...saying sorry removes nothing from anyone...neither does insults stain the body. Thanks once again gentlemen for letting this go.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by diportivo: 11:32am On Nov 23, 2021
9icetoo:
@Dru23, act your age.
Don't misquote sienna. Nowhere in that deposition did he talk about single core, single cell, double or double cell. Nowhere. Have some shame man. Be original. Quoting sienna out of context is not going to give you credibility. Don't be an idiot.

And rolls Royce will not touch your car if you install double cell (double core) radiator? How we went from Camry to rolls Royce and from radiator to oil is astounding. cheesy cheesy. The tokunbo or naija used Camry owner is quaking in his boots now. Elizade won't touch his car. cheesy

To your questions to me dru23.
Am I an engineer? Yes
My academic level? MSc
Have I worked for a car manufacturing company? We have assembly companies in Nigeria. Haven't worked for any but I've assembled complex machines and plants for companies who use standards.
Have I .... ..... Foreign cars? Dude, do not think you are a local champion. We have crossed the border too, lived and worked in saner climes with the four weathers winter, autumn, summer and spring. Don't be a dwib.
What brand of weed I smoke? None for now. My work does not permit. Tests are regular. And I hope you have quit too.

Now please shut the Bleep up and let people who know more than you do about this shit make their submissions. Sell your oil in peace. 1. Tokunbo compressor? No shit. We buy those.
2. Synthetic Oil? No shit. We buy those. (You were a Mobil 1 die hard. Market has forced you to reconsider other brands whom you swore were nowhere near Mobil 1 even after being schooled by auntyRadu.

Tokunbo radiator from abroad? On this I draw a line. Sir, you must be an idiot. Get off your high horse.
Who did the freaking test that you are here rambling about? Where are the test results? Where is quality control mark and signature that this was really tested and passed a test? What were the test parameters? What were the acceptable markers?
Was the used plastic subjected to a test under an electron microscope to check for cracks?
Was the core leak tested and to what pressure? What test medium was used and what were the acceptable leak rates? Can I see a pressure time graph for this test?
Was it examined under an x-ray?

I initially said I won't respond but for posterity sake....

Like I said and I will say again, it don't mean jack shit wether it's double core or single core or double cell or single cell. New radiator trumps used radiator. Na why old ones full ladipo. They develop leaks, the plastic covers crack over time and are refurbished.
Go to ladipo and buy double core. You go Waka tire for market.

Lastly, double cell is not meant to cool the engine more.
Let me educate you a little bit.

With an increased surface area, the heat exchange across the radiator is faster. The fans assuming on factory settings spin for a shorter time. Remember the fan is triggered by the ECU via the coolant temperature sensor. As soon as the set temp is reached, the fans shuts off.
Now, coolant performs four main purposes.
1. Increases the boiling point of water. Good for us.
2. Reduces the freezing point of water. We don't need that function here.
3. Lubricates the water pump. We need that too
4. Prevents corrosion of the cooling system. We need that function too.

Now double cell or single cell installation was not made to perform the above functions.
The decision to use water or coolant rests with the car owner.

From what I wrote above, you should be able to deduce that coolant is necessary (if you can see past your nose). I have not advocated that people should not buy coolant from you or anywhere else.

Also please know that it is not a band aid to overheating issues. A car will not overheat just because it was running on only water without coolant. It won't. If it does, the owner should look for the reason his car is overheating in the first place. It is akin to removing thermostat when the source of the problem has not been resolved.

Now that I have done justice (at least I think I have), I leave you in peace.

Cheers mate.

guy

how can you be educationally sound and savagely astute in the same post??

just how?? grin

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 9icetoo(m): 12:14pm On Nov 23, 2021
diportivo:

guy

how can you be educationally sound and savagely astute in the same post??

just how?? grin
I am learning from the best. cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adubam(m): 12:40pm On Nov 23, 2021
nickyosas:
@kingreign @adubam Thanks for resolving this and not derailing the thread. At time, its not because you are smart an all that...saying sorry removes nothing from anyone...neither does insults stain the body. Thanks once again gentlemen for letting this go.

I will definitely patronize him for that singular act. He has displayed true humility.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:44pm On Nov 23, 2021
adubam:

I will definitely patronize him for that singular act. He has displayed true humility.

A very humble Technician you will be fine.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Prymestrr(m): 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2021
Hello guys. Please I need your assistance. My belt tensioner (adjuster roller) has been ok since I got it replaced. But yesterday, I had to fix my steering pump, and the mechanic that fixed it must have touched the tensioner somehow, while trying to loosen and tighten back the pump coz now whenever I start my engine, it makes a weird annoying clanking noise that I'm certain comes from the belt tensioner. The noise last for about 10-15 seconds and stops.
My question is, can the tensioner be fixed somehow without having to buy a replacement please? Car is a camry 2005.
CC: Gazzuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by honsule(m): 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2021
Structuralman:

Catalytic converter doesn't improve fuel efficiency. It simply converts all the toxic gases produced by the engine to less harmful gases before releasing it into the atmosphere. In this part of the country we don't do emissions test otherwise your Corolla would fail an emissions test. If I were the owner of your Corolla I would keep using it like that since you said it doesn't consume fuel much.

Okay, maybe I will continue using it like that then cool Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmyN(m): 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2021
Prymestrr:
Hello guys. Please I need your assistance. My belt tensioner (adjuster roller) has been ok since I got it replaced. But yesterday, I had to fix my steering pump, and the mechanic that fixed it must have touched the tensioner somehow, while trying to loosen and tighten back the pump coz now whenever I start my engine, it makes a weird annoying clanking noise that I'm certain comes from the belt tensioner. The noise last for about 10-15 seconds and stops.
My question is, can the tensioner be fixed somehow without having to buy a replacement please? Car is a camry 2005.
CC: Gazzuzz

Take the car back to the mechanic that fixed the pump and have him correct his error.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Prymestrr(m): 6:00pm On Nov 23, 2021
emmyN:

Take the car back to the mechanic that fixed the pump and have him correct his error.

Ok...you didn't answer my question tho.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by iliyande(m): 6:11pm On Nov 23, 2021
honsule:

Okay, maybe I will continue using it like that then cool Thanks

Please just de use your car like that

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 6:16pm On Nov 23, 2021
9icetoo:

I am learning from the best. cheesy

I couldn't control myself grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.