Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (454) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (916226 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seunpinky(m): 6:52pm On Feb 22, 2023
Scanned my car and the following codes came up, I am aware that there’s no catalyst converter in the vehicle. Check engine light came up recently
Vehicle is 2008 Honda CRV

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dayjeee(m): 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

most likely

Garri, casava , ewa, agbado........

A proper scan will find the combination
cheesy grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Bizzyliss(m): 8:33pm On Feb 22, 2023
mangolpupa:
@gazzuzz corolla is guzzling fuel. The culprit is no indomie which was stolen during a previous car works.

Biko how much is original or first grade tokunbo "indomie" for a corolla?
not catalyst but something else which can be known by scanning ur car
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:33am On Feb 23, 2023
seunpinky:
Scanned my car and the following codes came up, I am aware that there’s no catalyst converter in the vehicle. Check engine light came up recently
Vehicle is 2008 Honda CRV

Faulty O2 sensor causing the lean mixture.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seunpinky(m): 4:51am On Feb 23, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Faulty O2 sensor causing the lean mixture.
Thanks for the response
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by t2sco: 7:08am On Feb 23, 2023
Good morning, please my 2010 Corolla car was shorting oil and my mechanic rig the engine after finishing it the car is now making grinding noise and he said it will stop the noise is like that of grinding machine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:21am On Feb 23, 2023
t2sco:
Good morning, please my 2010 Corolla car was shorting oil and my mechanic rig the engine after finishing it the car is now making grinding noise and he said it will stop the noise is like that of grinding machine.

2zr engine possibly poorly don reassembly , don't expect the noise to go away, especial if there is oil starvation to parts that need constant lubrication .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by hoyinmide(m): 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2023
Good afternoon

What could cause a car to jerk once when u throttle!!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ekakamba: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2023
How safe is it to use 5W 30 instead of 0W 20 for 2014 Civic?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Abbeyb1ack: 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2023
First Check with a meter if your alternator is charging the battery

I had this same issue with my rx330 07
I didn't solve it completely bt am currently going tru some measures

Which prevent the battery from running down without removing the terminal

nairamaniac:

Oga Gazzuzz please answer this question for us. It seems like a common problems within cars.

I think it's about a component still functioning even after switching off the power system of the car with the key.

Like something is still ON and running down the battery.
The battery completely runs down after some few days(3 to 4 days) if the car is left disengaged for that long.

What's the best possible DIY way to trace where/what is switched ON?
THIS IS THE LIKELY QUESTION I REALLY WANT TO ASK.

As even most technicians don't have a straight forward way of tracing the power leakage.
Thanx!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Abbeyb1ack: 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2023
Exactly sir
Using multi meter and a bulb attached to a tester
The rewire was able to detect there are 2 light instead of 1 getting to my dashboard

He concluded i should change the FUSE BOX....again another rewire said a bad fuse box has natn to do with a battery not charging

I haven't change the fuse box..... but I had to plug in my car charger to a particular port after turning ignition off....That way everything stay perfect (battery charge well nd no battery drain

nurey:

parasitic drain cannot be picked up by scan tool, like he said it takes patience and time with tools that are less expensive mostly (multimeter and a bulb attached to a tester) but the skill to do it right one by one testing each component electrical pathway nah the koko.

the bone of contention in your case is letting the mechanic loosen the brainbox because if the brainbox is at fault, it will definitely throw a code.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 3kay945(m): 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2023
jceesquare:

He wants to scam you. Run!!!
The proper thing to do is scan the car then fix based on the codes he get.
This is what most street mechanic does.
They either tape off the lights, or wire the check engine light to the ignition and it goes off when the car starts. With that, you would be working blindly and end up messing your car.

grin cool
Seriously, learnt new stuff today,.. thanks Boss. Can you also elaborate on "cooking of the thermostat " that was also new to me. Kudos!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ReformerD: 7:29pm On Feb 24, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

price

Are both good for a gdi engine ?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 7:38pm On Feb 24, 2023
3kay945:

grin cool
Seriously, learnt new stuff today,.. thanks Boss. Can you also elaborate on "cooking of the thermostat " that was also new to me. Kudos!
The car's thermostat is heat sensitive and is designed to block off water flow from the radiator into the engine for faster heat up on a cold start for several reasons.
You can test it manually by dropping it in a port of boiling water to know when it opens. Different manufactures have different temperatures the thermostat is designed to open.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 7:51pm On Feb 24, 2023
ReformerD:

Are both good for a gdi engine ?
Your engine is notorious for having carbon buildup on the intake valves which in turn leads to catastrophic engine failures.
If your mechanic suspect you have bearing clearance, switching to a thicker oil would only muffle the knocking sound and prolong the evil day a bit and not address the issue.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 3kay945(m): 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2023
jceesquare:

The car's thermostat is heat sensitive and is designed to block off water flow from the radiator into the engine for faster heat up on a cold start for several reasons.
You can test it manually by dropping it in a port of boiling water to know when it opens. Different manufactures have different temperatures the thermostat is designed to open.

Thanks boss,
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairamaniac: 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2023
Abbeyb1ack:
First Check with a meter if your alternator is charging the battery

I had this same issue with my rx330 07
I didn't solve it completely bt am currently going tru some measures

Which prevent the battery from running down without removing the terminal

Thanx for reply. But if the alternator isn't charging the battery. The battery light indicator would remain ON the dashboard. That's what happens with every car j have used.

Or the car would be loosing power as you drive withing minutes.

In the case I am referring to, I am 100% sure that the alternator is charging the battery very well.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by josephsm823(m): 11:07pm On Feb 26, 2023
hoyinmide:
Good afternoon

What could cause a car to jerk once when u throttle!!
We're in the same shoes oo.
Am still looking for solution for my car as well.
Car is working perfectly, only jerk when I throttle.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 8:02am On Feb 27, 2023
josephsm823:

We're in the same shoes oo.
Am still looking for solution for my car as well.
Car is working perfectly, only jerk when I throttle.
Several things could cause it.
Dirty injectors
Weak fuel pump
Clogged fuel filter
Bad fuel pressure regulator
Blockage in fuel line
Bad spark plug
Weak ignition coil
Clogged air filter
Clogged exhaust resulting to too much back pressure
Bad oxygen sensor
Bad MAF/MAP sensor
Bad ECU
Short circuit or partial contacts in related wires and fuse
Binding brakes
Bad throttle position sensor
Vacuum leaks
Village people
And a thousand other reasons.
It would be pure witchcraft if anybody accurately tells you why your car jerks without running a scan and physically diagnosing the car.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 8:29pm On Feb 27, 2023
How do I get fuel for my generator from my car?

.I tried using hose, it didn't work.

How can I get fuel from my fuel line in the engine?
Is it safe?

Petrol stations are not selling into Jerry cans.

.... Black market is also very expensive.

Help
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by streetwise2015: 12:29am On Feb 28, 2023
Good Morning bosses in the house..I just got a Toyota camry 2006 Big daddy

The check engine light came up and scanned the car this code came up... (p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1)

What is the possible solution to this? Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08am On Feb 28, 2023
Originakalokalo:
How do I get fuel for my generator from my car?

.I tried using hose, it didn't work.

How can I get fuel from my fuel line in the engine?
Is it safe?

Petrol stations are not selling into Jerry cans.

.... Black market is also very expensive.

Help

Buy black market it's cheaper than vehicle replacement cause by fire due to a leaking fuel line

5 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08am On Feb 28, 2023
streetwise2015:

The check engine light came up and scanned the car this code came up... (p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1)

₦250,000
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 9:19am On Feb 28, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Buy black market it's cheaper than vehicle replacement cause by fire due to a leaking fuel line

Your response is well appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Abbeyb1ack: 10:12am On Feb 28, 2023
In my own case sir
No battery indicator at all

nairamaniac:

Thanx for reply. But if the alternator isn't charging the battery. The battery light indicator would remain ON the dashboard. That's what happens with every car j have used.

Or the car would be loosing power as you drive withing minutes.

In the case I am referring to, I am 100% sure that the alternator is charging the battery very well.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Gucc: 12:38pm On Feb 28, 2023
I just changed my drive belt and I noticed that it started making a hitching annoying sound whenever I start the engine (2009 Corolla). What do I do to make this sound go away, as it was just the serpentine/drive belt that was changed because previous one cut.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by melviniyke2002(m): 1:07pm On Feb 28, 2023
streetwise2015:

dey hv carried ur catalyst(oti ro).....go to panel beater....remove wotever nonsense dey put der after d removal den buy spancer n put for d down pot....den clear d code n it wudnt come bck again....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Androidking: 11:01pm On Feb 28, 2023
Please I want someone that can recommend n a professional driver that bring a get down a car from Kano to Owerri imo state thanks .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olumzzz(m): 6:41am On Mar 01, 2023
Gucc:
I just changed my drive belt and I noticed that it started making a hitching annoying sound whenever I start the engine (2009 Corolla). What do I do to make this sound go away, as it was just the serpentine/drive belt that was changed because previous one cut.
Size matters
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Gucc: 8:10am On Mar 01, 2023
olumzzz:

Size matters
How do you mean, can you elaborate better.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Androidking: 11:55am On Mar 01, 2023
Androidking:
Please I want someone that can recommend n a professional driver that bring a get down a car from Kano to Owerri imo state thanks .

Any one?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 12:47pm On Mar 01, 2023
Androidking:

Any one?
Go to transport companies in Kano and get a driver.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: ShitStain(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.