Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,389 members, 7,815,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (499) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (913462 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by honsule(m): 7:23pm On Feb 04
jceesquare:

At this point remote diagnosis would be impossible. Your brake system (with ABS delete) is not rocket science for it to be difficult to diagnose and fix.
I'd suggest you look for a competent mechanic in Abuja to help with it.

I have an observation. I jacked the other tyre up and the tyre rotate freely even with two fingers. But the driver side tyre is stocked once I accelerated and press the break. And switch off the car, with the car jacked up u CAN'Trotate the tyre. Should be locked up caliber by clogged brake Hose. I will visit a mechanic tomorrow to check.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 8:01pm On Feb 04
honsule:

I have an observation. I jacked the other tyre up and the tyre rotate freely even with two fingers. But the driver side tyre is stocked once I accelerated and press the break. And switch off the car, with the car jacked up u CAN'Trotate the tyre. Should be locked up caliber by clogged brake Hose. I will visit a mechanic tomorrow to check.
Thought you said you've changed everything there is to change and you were sure they fixed them well?
If the tyre is not rotating, then your calliper is binding.
Take it for physical inspection as planned.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by honsule(m): 8:10pm On Feb 04
jceesquare:

Thought you said you've changed everything there is to change and you were sure they fixed them well?
If the tyre is not rotating, then your calliper is binding.
Take it for physical inspection as planned.

will do that tomorrow. thanks. i haven't change the flex hose
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Blitzeee(m): 8:38pm On Feb 04
I have a challenge with my RX300 Lexus, it is not firing well on reverse. The mechanic advised that I change the ATF but it didn't improve. Please assist
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 8:42pm On Feb 04
Blitzeee:
I have a challenge with my RX300 Lexus, it is not firing well on reverse. The mechanic advised that I change the ATF but it didn't improve. Please assist
Scan scan scan
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Angrigowt: 10:49pm On Feb 04
U have a rear seal leakage.
Blitzeee:
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Blitzeee(m): 5:36am On Feb 05
vivalavida:

Scan scan scan
I will do that, thanks for the advice
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Blitzeee(m): 5:37am On Feb 05
Angrigowt:

How can I resolve that?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Angrigowt: 5:40am On Feb 05
Gear needs to come down. Go under where u have the middle box or whe u have the middle console/gear mount connect n enginw/torgue converter...Look underneath.u will see oil spilage. Check first
Blitzeee:

How can I resolve that?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by zed7: 9:06am On Feb 05
2006 civic started having high rpm at idle, around 1400 rpm. I did a throttle body clean and relearn and it came down to 1,100.

My car still consumes fuel. I did a scan and it shows P0128, coolant temperature issues and P0507 idle control system issues.

I'm not sure the parts to change. Most mechanics are clueless and just guessing.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 9:41am On Feb 05
Angrigowt:
Stop this.
Blitzeee:

How can I resolve that?
Please scan your transmission.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 9:48am On Feb 05
zed7:
2006 civic started having high rpm at idle, around 1400 rpm. I did a throttle body clean and relearn and it came down to 1,100.

My car still consumes fuel. I did a scan and it shows P0128, coolant temperature issues and P0507 idle control system issues.

I'm not sure the parts to change. Most mechanics are clueless and just guessing.
For your 1st code, your cars fan is running continuously when ignition is on and your thermostat is stuck open or has been removed. Replace thermostat and return fan to factory settings and that would be sorted out.
For the second code, drive the car for a while and observe if the idle will drop further downward while car is idling in P or N.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by zed7: 10:16am On Feb 05
jceesquare:

For your 1st code, your cars fan is running continuously when ignition is on and your thermostat is stuck open or has been removed. Replace thermostat and return fan to factory settings and that would be sorted out.
For the second code, drive the car for a while and observe if the idle will drop further downward while car is idling in P or N.

Thanks for your reply, however, fan works fine. Comes on only when engine is hot. The only thing is that ac compressor doesn't go off when engine is hot. It works continuously.

The idle sometimes gets to 1000 when the car has been driven for a while but the issue is the fuel consumption is really high. Half tank for 120km, though the car just moves within an estate, very short distances.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 11:37am On Feb 05
zed7:

Thanks for your reply, however, fan works fine. Comes on only when engine is hot. The only thing is that ac compressor doesn't go off when engine is hot. It works continuously.

The idle sometimes gets to 1000 when the car has been driven for a while but the issue is the fuel consumption is really high. Half tank for 120km, though the car just moves within an estate, very short distances.
With a thermostat stuck open/ or not present coupled with very short trips, you don't expect to see good mpg.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kingdemu: 12:53pm On Feb 05
Angrigowt:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ugreat(m): 3:10pm On Feb 05
Please what transmission oil would you recommend for 06 Sienna? I will be sorting out Solenoid D code in the transmission and that will require transmission oil change.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Mommajojem: 8:48pm On Feb 05
God bless you for what you do. Please I need a clarification, my mechanic removed the thermostat in my car ( pontiac vibe 2004). He said we don't need it. Is it right? Secondly how can i check if the car airbag are intact. Also the temperature gets to the middle on the dash board about 5mins into driving.

jceesquare:

With a thermostat stuck open/ or not present coupled with very short trips, you don't expect to see good mpg.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 10:15pm On Feb 05
Mommajojem:
God bless you for what you do. Please I need a clarification, my mechanic removed the thermostat in my car ( pontiac vibe 2004). He said we don't need it. Is it right? Secondly how can i check if the car airbag are intact. Also the temperature gets to the middle on the dash board about 5mins into driving.

Amen.
1. That's not true. If it's faulty you should replace.
2. A comprehensive scan should pick up an airbag code if there's an issue with it.
3. If your fan has not been tampered with, it's normal. But since your mechanic has removed the thermostat, I believe they must have tampered with the fan to make it run always. If that's the case then there's a problem somewhere.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Mommajojem: 11:07pm On Feb 05
Thank you sir.The temperature issue was like that before removing the thermostat. The thermostat wasnt faulty. He said it would make the car to overheat when on a long travel.

jceesquare:

Amen.
2. A comprehensive scan should pick up an airbag code if there's an issue with it.
3. If your fan has not been tampered with, it's normal. But since your mechanic has removed the thermostat, I believe they must have tampered with the fan to make it run always. If that's the case then there's a problem somewhere.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 4:07am On Feb 06
Mommajojem:
Thank you sir.The temperature issue was like that before removing the thermostat. The thermostat wasnt faulty. He said it would make the car to overheat when on a long travel.

Change your mechanic

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 7:20pm On Feb 06
Good evening guys,

Please I need help concerning how to resolve my issue.

I drive a 2007 Toyota corolla.

Just today, I noticed that the temperature went slightly above the middle mark. So I stopped, opened the bonnet and observed that the coolant reservoir was overflowing with boiling coolant.

I had to put off the AC. And this made the overflowing coolant to recede. And temperature needle back to normal.

I met a roadside mech. Who bled the radiator this evening and said it would fix it. But I doubt that would fix the issue.

I don't like having overheating issues.

Please I would appreciate informed opinions on what could be causing the water in my reservoir to be boiling slightly and overflowing while the temperature needle rises a bit above normal.

Just to add, my fan is blowing well.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 7:52pm On Feb 06
Grupo:
Good evening guys,

Please I need help concerning how to resolve my issue.

I drive a 2007 Toyota corolla.

Just today, I noticed that the temperature went slightly above the middle mark. So I stopped, opened the bonnet and observed that the coolant reservoir was overflowing with boiling coolant.

I had to put off the AC. And this made the overflowing coolant to recede. And temperature needle back to normal.

I met a roadside mech. Who bled the radiator this evening and said it would fix it. But I doubt that would fix the issue.

I don't like having overheating issues.

Please I would appreciate informed opinions on what could be causing the water in my reservoir to be boiling slightly and overflowing while the temperature needle rises a bit above normal.

Just to add, my fan is blowing well.
Physical inspection and pressure testing your cooling system by a competent hand would be your best bet.
So many factors could be responsible for it.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 8:13pm On Feb 06
jceesquare:

Physical inspection and pressure testing your cooling system by a competent hand would be your best bet.
So many factors could be responsible for it.

I live in a somewhat remote area. The mechs here don't know what is pressure testing of cooling system.

The mechanic has already suggested I should remove my thermostat which I have rejected already.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 8:30pm On Feb 06
Grupo:

I live in a somewhat remote area. The mechs here don't know what is pressure testing of cooling system.

The mechanic has already suggested I should remove my thermostat which I have rejected already.

Since you said your fans are working fine, start with the simplest things you can see.
1. Check the radiator cover, if the rubbers are cracked and torn, change it.
2. If you find rusty residue any where in your cooling line, then know you have leaks from there.
3. Check the radiator fins. If clogged that light cannot penetrate through, then it's bad and needs replacement.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 8:53pm On Feb 06
jceesquare:

Since you said your fans are working fine, start with the simplest things you can see.
1. Check the radiator cover, if the rubbers are cracked and torn, change it.
2. If you find rusty residue any where in your cooling line, then know you have leaks from there.
3. Check the radiator fins. If clogged that light cannot penetrate through, then it's bad and needs replacement.

Thanks. I'll start by inspecting the cap tomorrow.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by okpeho(m): 11:28am On Feb 08
Good morning house,
I took my Honda CRV car to VIO Inspection Center yesterday for inspection and below are the faults detected.

Defects Detected
1. Excessive Service Brake Imbalance Rear Axle
2. Service Brake Not Working (Rear Left)

Please how do I interpret the above faults?
Thank you.

Cc:
@ GAZZUZZ, @Kingreign, @Nurey
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Bullfallo(m): 11:36am On Feb 08
What I discovered yesterday. Might help with solving fuel economy.

When I changes the solenoid yesterday. My mechanic wanted to test drive it and he didn’t put back the air filter hose. When i told him to install back the filter box and hose he said the car will work like that incase the solenoid didn’t work well so he doesn’t have to lose them again.

Oboy this car drink my fuel when we test drive it in that state. The way my fuel gauge went down was shocking.

So I was just wondering if there is further restrictions on the air filter to starve the engine a bit of some air. Would the fuel economy improve further?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 5:50pm On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
What I discovered yesterday. Might help with solving fuel economy.

When I changes the solenoid yesterday. My mechanic wanted to test drive it and he didn’t put back the air filter hose. When i told him to install back the filter box and hose he said the car will work like that incase the solenoid didn’t work well si he doesn’t have to lose it again.

Oboy this car drink my fuel when we test drink it in that state. They way my fuel gauge when down was shocking.

So I was just wondering if there is further restrictions on the air filter to starve the engine a bit of some air. Would the fuel economy improve further?
No. You'll starve the car or air. More like running full speed with nose mask on and forced to breath through your nose.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Bullfallo(m): 6:06pm On Feb 08
jceesquare:

No. You'll starve the car or air. More like running full speed with nose mask on and forced to breath through your nose.
i know but you know that when the air is lean the car will use less fuel.

The way more air pump into the engine the car injected more fuel. If there is less air then there will also be less fuel
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 6:24pm On Feb 08
Bullfallo:
i know but you know that when the air is lean the car will use less fuel.

The way more air pump into the engine the car injected more fuel. If there is less air then there will also be less fuel
The reverse is the case.
When you have lesser air going into the car, the ECU compensates for the distorted air to fuel ratio and pumps in more fuel to compensate for it. So if you restrict the flow, your car will burn more fuel and not save it. Just like the scenery I painted earlier, you'll struggle running with nose mask on and forced to breath through your nose only.
You'll have lean mixture when you have more air and less fuel.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mojounited(m): 8:36am On Feb 09
Hello folks, good morning. Please can someone recommend a very good auto-mechanic for setting of camber, caster and toe for Lexus GS350? The right rear leg is visibly not well aligned and car vibrates when speed/acceleration increases.

Cc: GAZZUZZ, Kingreign, Nurey
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Emekayoung(m): 9:56am On Feb 09
jceesquare:

Amen.
Most mechanics will connect the fan direct without removing the thermostat,so that's definitely what happened which is the reason why the temperature gets to the middle within five minutes of driving.

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.