Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,848 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (502) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (913899 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) (504) (505) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by OPEYEMIAD(m): 10:39pm On Feb 27
OPEYEMIAD:
Good day all,
My Lexus ES 350 consume more water whenever I traveled long journey. So I change the water to coolant still the same.
And once the radiator dried up the car may stop in the middle of the road or even refuse to start.
Have check the radiator and even take it to mechanic to check if there is any leakage but they said none.

This is not normal, I top it with coolant every morning.

Please is this peculiar to Lexus or something is wrong with mine?

Thank you

I took it to another mechanic and we all checked, only to discovered that one fan is not working. So whenever i put on AC, it boil the coolant and the vapour evaporate. Leading to the dryness of the radiator.

We fixed the fan and everything is fine now

Thank you all

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by debeey87(m): 10:28pm On Feb 28
Abeg I need help with my car.

Car vibrates when your brake even at a speed below 50. I have replaced the caliper and hangers, changed tyres as well, brake disk was replaced just a year ago for the same reason with CV axle as well thought it's bad again Sha. I'll appreciate a guide on areas to look at. Someone suggested changing the steering rack as that was what fixes his own issue.

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 2shure: 2:26am On Feb 29
Your ball joints are on its way out
debeey87:

Car vibrates when your brake even at a speed below 50. I have replaced the caliper and hangers, changed tyres as well, brake disk was replaced just a year ago for the same reason with CV axle as well thought it's bad again Sha. I'll appreciate a guide on areas to look at. Someone suggested changing the steering rack as that was what fixes his own issue.

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by debeey87(m): 10:30am On Feb 29
2shure:
Your ball joints are on its way out

Both sides have been replaced this month along with tier rod and stabilizer linkage
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 7:48am On Mar 01
OPEYEMIAD:

I took it to another mechanic and we all checked, only to discovered that one fan is not working. So whenever i put on AC, it boil the coolant and the vapour evaporate. Leading to the dryness of the radiator.

We fixed the fan and everything is fine now

Thank you all
You found the cause for the overheating, but the damage has not been addressed.
Your cooling system is a closed unit and water should not evaporate unless you have a leak.
Just like the air in your tyres, it shouldn't go down unless you have a leak somewhere.
Unless the coolant boiled beyond what your pressure cap can withstand then that explains the loss of coolant. I'd suggest you run a pressure test on your cooling system.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eightsin(m): 9:45pm On Mar 01
Hey!!!
I'm in trouble oo.
I took my 08 es350 to a mechanic a friend recommended for shockpad change
I instructed he also changed the powersteering fluid as I noticed it gets a faint whinny sound when I drive for long... We went to drink beer, only to come back and this mechanic poured visco2000 into my powersteering reservoir. Saying it's good and works well.

Abeg what do I do now? I've driven it for 2 days now but I'm worried
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by richforever123: 12:43pm On Mar 02
Subject: Issues with My Car - Need Diagnosis and Repair

Car Type: 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 Plug Engine

I am reaching out regarding some concerning issues I've been experiencing with my car recently. I believe there may be multiple underlying problems contributing to its current state, and I would greatly appreciate your expertise in diagnosing and addressing these issues.

Here are the symptoms I've observed:

Reduced Coolant: The coolant seems to be drying off as I constantly need to refill and there is no visible leak

White Smoke: White smoke comes out of the exhaust

After driving for some time, the coolant in the reservoir tank starts to 'boil' and pour out, I am aware that is due to air entering the coolant

I bringing this here because the first mechanic I called adviced to change the Engine Gasket which required me to re-surface the engine, the Gasket was changed but the issue still persists

The second mechanic I got was quoting 300,000 for me (almost the cost of a new engine)

Given these symptoms, I understand that pinpointing the exact cause of the issues may require a comprehensive inspection and diagnostic process. However, can someone here point me in the right direction on where I need to focus on?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Felakezman(m): 4:29pm On Mar 03
Good evening all..pls how much can i get this sensor and who sells for toyota camry 03 4plug

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Babatundehy: 5:24pm On Mar 03
Try fonialto, he's on twitter and this is his WhatsApp number 0708 429 3131, just get the right part number and then ask if he has it, I have bought two sensors from him and he sent them from Lagos to my place through a driver, he's tested and trusted..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 6:20pm On Mar 03
eightsin:
Hey!!!
I'm in trouble oo.
I took my 08 es350 to a mechanic a friend recommended for shockpad change
I instructed he also changed the powersteering fluid as I noticed it gets a faint whinny sound when I drive for long... We went to drink beer, only to come back and this mechanic poured visco2000 into my powersteering reservoir. Saying it's good and works well.
Abeg what do I do now? I've driven it for 2 days now but I'm worried
Nothing to fear for here. Your power steering pump was on its way out and that's why he added a thicker oil to help increase the viscosity for the pump to pump the oil around.
All you need to do is to replace the pump with original one, and flush the steering rack with fresh power steering oil.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oilyngbati(m): 11:37pm On Mar 03
debeey87:

Thank you
Your front rotors (disc) are bad,,,,change them and you should be fine 100% guaranteed. I had the issue before

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oilyngbati(m): 11:42pm On Mar 03
richforever123:
Subject: Issues with My Car - Need Diagnosis and Repair

Car Type: 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 Plug Engine

I am reaching out regarding some concerning issues I've been experiencing with my car recently. I believe there may be multiple underlying problems contributing to its current state, and I would greatly appreciate your expertise in diagnosing and addressing these issues.

Here are the symptoms I've observed:

Reduced Coolant: The coolant seems to be drying off as I constantly need to refill and there is no visible leak

White Smoke: White smoke comes out of the exhaust

After driving for some time, the coolant in the reservoir tank starts to 'boil' and pour out, I am aware that is due to air entering the coolant

I bringing this here because the first mechanic I called adviced to change the Engine Gasket which required me to re-surface the engine, the Gasket was changed but the issue still persists

The second mechanic I got was quoting 300,000 for me (almost the cost of a new engine)

Given these symptoms, I understand that pinpointing the exact cause of the issues may require a comprehensive inspection and diagnostic process. However, can someone here point me in the right direction on where I need to focus on?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Check to make sure your fans are blowing to cool the engine. Someone had that same issue with his ES350 and it turned out it was only one fan blowing, instead of two.
Also, I’ll advise you learn more about any car you’re driving by checking on google and watching YouTube videos about any problems you might have. All these kazeems parading as mechanics are quacks

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by debeey87(m): 7:40am On Mar 04
oilyngbati:
Your front rotors (disc) are bad,,,,change them and you should be fine 100% guaranteed. I had the issue before

They were replaced a little over a year ago, do rotor disk get bad that often.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oilyngbati(m): 2:20pm On Mar 04
debeey87:

They were replaced a little over a year ago, do rotor disk get bad that often.
Yes, they will go bad if replaced with fake substandard ones, just like fake substandard brake pads. If I were you, I’d get them replaced and do wheel balancing. Do these and kiss your problems goodbye.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samsard(m): 3:42am On Mar 05
kayphyzee:

Hello bro, I am presently battling a P0505 (IACV) error code on my RAV4. I removed the initial throttle body, followed the cleaning routine for both the IACV and the throttle body but the cleaning did not solve the issue. I bought and installed another tokunbo entire throttle body about two months back but the code is still present. That's the only code I have on the ride when I scan it and I am so eager to get rid of it, because I suspect it's contributing to my fuel issue plus the erratic RPM shifts sometimes. Now I have two scenarios -

1. Could it be that the replacement unit is faulty? or

2. Is it possible that the code has been permanently stored on the ECU? Just so you know, I bought another ECU after I purchased the ride to solve the transmission issue and some other electrical faults.

What do you think? Thank you.

Hello, chief. Just saw your posts through Nairaland search. Did the change of ECU successfully resolve your transmission issue?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eightsin(m): 7:40am On Mar 05
jceesquare:

Nothing to fear for here. Your power steering pump was on its way out and that's why he added a thicker oil to help increase the viscosity for the pump to pump the oil around.
All you need to do is to replace the pump with original one, and flush the steering rack with fresh power steering oil.

Alright boss. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Harbewilliams(m): 11:50pm On Mar 05
My name is Abiodun, I run an online Auto shop (harbewilliams AUTO) reg. We will like to partner with you on the sales of your car, through our online sales mechanism, we will help you to get a quick and accurate deal that will be of great deal for all partners.

https:///message/O42S72HMARD6N1

buy
sales
distress sales
car swap
sales partnership
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tobiyclassy: 12:18pm On Mar 07
Issue resolved now?

Felakezman:

My engine starts fine..I am guessing the vvti solenoid…can it be replacedthanks for the answers God bless
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by apexquest(m): 7:30pm On Mar 08
Hello gazzuzz Sir,
Please my 2008 rav4 recently suffered from electrical issues.
Car went off and refused to start at an unsafe location. In order to free up the transmission to move vehicle to safety, I noticed the rewire inserted a screwdriver into the hole at the selector and moved it to neutral. Car was then rolled to safety where efforts were made to trace the problem.

ECU was detected as the cause. It has been changed and car starts and drive now.

Problem now is that, when I select reverse(R) or drive (D), it enters with a gentle bang.
But when driving, the other gears select quietly as before.
Putting it in R or D has always been very smooth without bang before now.

The brake light has also refused to go off.

No transmission code on Bluetooth scanner.

Could it have anything to do with the changed ECU or the rewire has touch something else?

What can I do to have that smooth bang-free experience again, please

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:10am On Mar 09
apexquest:
Hello gazzuzz Sir,
Please my 2008 rav4 recently suffered from electrical issues.
Car went off and refused to start at an unsafe location. In order to free up the transmission to move vehicle to safety, I noticed the rewire inserted a screwdriver into the hole at the selector and moved it to neutral. Car was then rolled to safety where efforts were made to trace the problem.

ECU was detected as the cause. It has been changed and car starts and drive now.

Problem now is that, when I select reverse(R) or drive (D), it enters with a gentle bang.
But when driving, the other gears select quietly as before.
Putting it in R or D has always been very smooth without bang before now.

The brake light has also refused to go off.

No transmission code on Bluetooth scanner.

Could it have anything to do with the changed ECU or the rewire has touch something else?

What can I do to have that smooth bang-free experience again, please

Try another ecu

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by designmaverick: 7:23am On Mar 09
Good morning everyone.
I own a Camry 2008.
It has a fuel tank size of 70L.
I noticed it consumes too much fuel.

On a full tank till the amber fuel light, it did about 190 miles and that’s like 11 mpg compared to the 25mpg -30mpg as recorded by Toyota.

I have no check engine light
Spark plugs intact
02 sensors working too.
Catalyst intact too.

What could be the problem?
This worries me a lot.

I await your response 🙏🏾
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 10:49am On Mar 09
designmaverick:
Good morning everyone.
I own a Camry 2008.

On a full tank till the amber fuel light, it did about 190 miles and that’s like 11 mpg compared to the 25mpg -30mpg as recorded by Toyota.

Spark plugs intact
02 sensors working too.
Catalyst intact too.

This worries me a lot.

I await your response 🙏🏾
You didn't state if it's a 4/6 cylinder engine.
So many issues could be responsible for poor mpg without throwing a check light.
1. Low tyre pressure.
2. Binding brakes.
3. Hauling heavy load.
4. Vehicle not switching to overdrive (this might trigger a check light but your Bluetooth scanner might not pick it).
5. Drive terrain (hilly environment) and drive pattern.
You can reach me on 07089030689 if you need further diagnosis.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oilyngbati(m): 7:16pm On Mar 09
designmaverick:
Good morning everyone.
I own a Camry 2008.

Spark plugs intact
02 sensors working too.
Catalyst intact too.

This worries me a lot.

I await your response 🙏🏾
Do you do most of your driving in the city or highway? Note, city driving with A/C will consum more fuel than highway driving

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:48am On Mar 10
designmaverick:
Good morning everyone.
I own a Camry 2008.

Spark plugs intact
02 sensors working too.
Catalyst intact too.

This worries me a lot.

I await your response 🙏🏾

Install CNG

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Adejunwonlo94: 6:06pm On Mar 10
My Camry 2007 V4 consumed 65 liters of Fuel and ran 253 lineage between 24th Feb till today. Please is this economic enough for the engine or I need to take the car for inspection?

I use the AC fairly, the car tyres are fit and well, catalyst and O2 sensors are intact as well.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by SpeedRacer(m): 10:23pm On Mar 10
Good day, Anyone know where i can get coilover for 2010 corolla?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 6:19am On Mar 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ipQwBDKfY

So I'm still having issues with this sound.
A little background: So my k24 on my 2005 Honda Accord is making this devilish sound as seen on the video above. This sound started after replacing my timing chain, but something happened that day. The job was done by a kazeem (that's what is available where I am), but I monitored every step of the way. I examined the timing accessories and set the timing myself and he just did the loosening and tightening. So I can confidently say that nothing was out of place there.
When the job was basically done, I allowed him to install the accessories and then the belt, but that turned to be a big mistake. The dude installed the alternator with only one bolt. On driving off and testing, there was no sound even after warming up. But suddenly the belt snapped and of course, the alternator was the issue cos it was twisted.
After fixing the alternator bolts, I couldn't get the correct belt size. The one I got with number 6pk1780 was too tight, but out of desperation we forced it in. It was after this belt wahala that this sound started.
Even after installing the correct sized belt, that devilish sound has remained.
This sound is only present at idle and in gear and even louder when the fans kick in. So basically loaded engine at idle. And when this happens, there's significant vibration. My idle remains between 750 and 850rpm. The sound is completely absent when the engine is at idle without any load. It is also absent when you rev the car eve a little bit. It is absent while driving. Car has full power.
I initially thought it was coming from inside the engine. I replaced the timing chain tensioner and readjusted my valves. But while doing that, there was absolutely no sign of metal to metal contact in the timing chain or cams. I replaced the drive belt tensioner. I removed the water pump but couldn't find any sign of damage physically and functionally (the bearing appears smooth and not noisy at all), so I put it back.
I recently noticed that the sound was louder from the passenger tire well than from the top of the engine, making me suspect it's from a lower placed component.
Who has experienced this sound before? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cc: GAZZUZZ etc al.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 6:32am On Mar 11
Adejunwonlo94:
My Camry 2007 V4 consumed 65 liters of Fuel and ran 253 lineage between 24th Feb till today. Please is this economic enough for the engine or I need to take the car for inspection?

I use the AC fairly, the car tyres are fit and well, catalyst and O2 sensors are intact as well.
By my calculations, that is 14.7mpg. I don't think that is good enough, but let the bosses say.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ipobcannibals: 7:20am On Mar 11
Adejunwonlo94:

253 miles is about 408 km. I believe you did most of your driving in city, so your car is very much fine. Don’t attempt to take your vehicle to any Kazeem or else, you go cry later.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by apexquest(m): 9:02pm On Mar 12
GAZZUZZ:

Try another ecu
Another ECU was tried and problem disappered.

Thank you for your assistance, God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by apexquest(m): 9:06pm On Mar 12
Good evening Gazzuzz and other life saving tech gurus in the house.
My car's brake/tail light has refused to go off. I have to remove battery head to avoid drain.

I scanned with my Bluetooth scanner and got the response below.

Where is the particular switch mentioned located
What should we do??

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:01am On Mar 13
apexquest:
Good evening Gazzuzz and other life saving tech gurus in the house.
My car's brake/tail light has refused to go off. I have to remove battery head to avoid drain.

I scanned with my Bluetooth scanner and got the response below.

Where is the particular switch mentioned located
What should we do??

https://www.nairaland.com/5965888/vehicle-repair-videos-gazzuzz#91630702

Vehicle stuck in park, brake lights permanently on.

Parts used.

₦300 slippers (you get 6 stoppers cheesy)

I noticed I should have added more detail to the video, sadly not enough space to go under the dash and film at same time, kindly use your imagination, I will find a brake lever system some time in the future to show how to install stopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbiEk3rOoYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtB5w8nfcLI

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) (504) (505) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.