Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,729 members, 7,813,405 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (912573 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (508) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ugobanks: 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
ajao estate. please can i reach you on phone?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ugobanks: 7:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Which inhibitor switch? Pls actual codes are preferable.

Problem seems to be centered around the immobilzer, for now try and use your vehicle with the spare key.

Wheres your location?

Ajao Esate. Please can i reach you on phone?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:45pm On Oct 09, 2014
ugobanks:

Ajao Esate. Please can i reach you on phone?

Phone will be on tommorow.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by yoddy(m): 11:21pm On Oct 09, 2014
Hey Gazzuzz,

See what I got from scanning my 99 honda accord. I am suspecting the manifold o2 sensor. If it is, how much does it cost to change it. The car dey chop fuel plenty.
Where is ur workshop located in lagos?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:08am On Oct 10, 2014
yoddy:
Hey Gazzuzz,

See what I got from scanning my 99 honda accord. I am suspecting the manifold o2 sensor. If it is, how much does it cost to change it. The car dey chop fuel plenty.
Where is ur workshop located in lagos?

Price is 5k for tokumbor and about 10-15k for new, you can reach me on bbm, check my profile. Also re-check the harnes for a break who knows you might be lucky.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Please run a live scan and see if the O2 sensor is working, also reset codes and re-scan after a 100km or when your check light illuminates again. Finally ensure you fix "ALL" leaks in your exhaust system.
Hello Gazzuz, I'm back with this again. The CEL came back on few days ago but this time only the P0420 code was seen after scanning.

what do I do from here ? also hoe do I run a live scan to test my 02 sensors. when I do a live scan with my scanner it just shows fluctuations in voltage readings. how do I interprete this?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
TCD:
Hello Gazzuz, I'm back with this again. The CEL came back on few days ago but this time only the P0420 code was seen after scanning.

what do I do from here ? also hoe do I run a live scan to test my 02 sensors. when I do a live scan with my scanner it just shows fluctuations in voltage readings. how do I interprete this?

Your catalyst is bad, have it replaced or install a spacer [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoH3QGY0hnGQ-zZ5lkWcmJoR2HR42oN8Zgc63hSYChp3mca508SKFAi8dO[/img] and your problems will be solved.

P.s I hope you don't have an exhaust leak?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Your catalyst is bad, have it replaced or install a spacer [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoH3QGY0hnGQ-zZ5lkWcmJoR2HR42oN8Zgc63hSYChp3mca508SKFAi8dO[/img] and your problems will be solved.

P.s I hope you don't have an exhaust leak?

Thank you. I had an exhaust leak some months ago just under the engine when i was traveling through that useless Abia state which was fixed. as at now no visible leaks as far as I can tell. or can a microscopic leak cause a catalyst error code?

About the spacer device, if i decide to fix that does it have any disadvantages or adverse effect on my engine in the long run? Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
GAZZUZZ, this is what my O2 readings look like during a live scan? are they normal? especially the one reading up to 3 .3 volts online sources seem to suggest 0.1 to 0.9 as the limit. don't know if sensor 1 and sensor 2 have different volt range.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06pm On Oct 17, 2014
TCD:

Thank you. I had an exhaust leak some months ago just under the engine when i was traveling through that useless Abia state which was fixed. as at now no visible leaks as far as I can tell. or can a microscopic leak cause a catalyst error code?

About the spacer device, if i decide to fix that does it have any disadvantages or adverse effect on my engine in the long run? Thank you

The catalyst is designed to keep air polution minimal, insalling a sapcer will fool the ecm to beliving the catalyst is working efficiently without throwing any codes. The are no adverse effects to your engine. If you have a leak before the catalyst it could throw a code.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 7:05am On Oct 18, 2014
Thank you Gazzuzz ... how about the O2 voltage readings in my live scan pictures above. are they normal?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:10am On Oct 18, 2014
TCD:
Thank you Gazzuzz ... how about the O2 voltage readings in my live scan pictures above. are they normal?

You have 2 sensors, B1S1(AF sensor) and B1S2 (oxygen sensor) 1 is a regular oxygen sensor while the other is an AF sensor.
An oxygen sensor will typically generate up to about 0.9 volts when the fuel mixture is rich and there is little unburned oxygen in the exhaust. When the mixture is lean, the sensor output voltage will drop down to about 0.2 volts or less. When the air/fuel mixture is balanced or at the equilibrium point of about 14.7 to 1, the sensor will read around .45 volts.

As for the AF sensor its a bit tricky, to understand but you will get voltage readings between 2.4 - 4volts I would have to write several pages about the AF sensor but for now you can read up more on it here http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=977

Generaly your readings look fine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 8:43am On Oct 18, 2014
TCD:

Yes, it is supposed to fluctuate
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 10:06am On Oct 18, 2014
Thanks a lot guys. ..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 9:39pm On Oct 25, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Replace Vtec its in the picture above, that's why your car is not reving past 3000rpm
Replace both oxygen sensors (this will fix the fuel consumption) also give me a specific code for your transaxle malfunction.

If you fix all these you are almost done.
I fixed my vtec solenoid, it was a connection problem. My car can now rev to 5000 on Park. I was told this normal on Park. I hope that's true.
The scan results yielded 2nd clutch pressure switch malfunction which was later discovered that it was not plugged. It was plugged back and code dissappeared.
The codes I still have now are
P0325: Knock sensor malfunction
P0135: Primary heated O2 sensor
P0141: Secondary heated O2 sensor
P1751: mechanical problem in Hydraulic system
Any advice on these?
I observed that my car makes about 3 failed attempts to upshift to Gr 2 when cold but runs seamlessly when hot. Could this be due to wrong ATF fluid? And can it be remedied?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:32am On Oct 26, 2014
Macmilla:

I fixed my vtec solenoid, it was a connection problem. My car can now rev to 5000 on Park. I was told this normal on Park. I hope that's true.
The scan results yielded 2nd clutch pressure switch malfunction which was later discovered that it was not plugged. It was plugged back and code disappeared.
The codes I still have now are
P0325: Knock sensor malfunction
P0135: Primary heated O2 sensor
P0141: Secondary heated O2 sensor
P1751: mechanical problem in Hydraulic system
Any advice on these?
I observed that my car makes about 3 failed attempts to upshift to Gr 2 when cold but runs seamlessly when hot. Could this be due to wrong ATF fluid? And can it be remedied?

Cold oil is thicker than hot oil, also old cold oil is sticky and could be causing some of your solenoid switches to stick, consider replacing your transmission oil if you have not done that in a while.

As for the rest of the codes we have discussed them before
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by moscobabs(m): 11:06am On Oct 28, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
How to Tell if Your Car's Thermostat Is Stuck Closed(will cause overheating)

The thermostat in your car is responsible for controlling the amount of coolant released into your engine. When your car first heats up, the thermostat closes and does not allow coolant into the engine until it is warmed up. The thermostat should open and allow coolant in once the engine is adequately heated. Sometimes the thermostat fails and remains closed.

How to test a thermostat DIY

[/b]Step 1. Check your temperature gauge in the car. A stuck thermostat might be to blame if your gauge marker nears the red danger zone within 5 to 15 minutes.[b]

Step 2. Allow engine to cool(never open the preasure cap of a radiator when its hot)

Step 3. Unfasten the radiator drain cock located near the bottom of the radiator and allow some of the coolant to drain out into a container with a lid until the level is below the upper radiator hose.

You might not need to drain the radiator, depending on the amount your reservoir holds. The amount drained is roughly 1 to 2 qt. (4 to 8 cups). You can reuse this coolant if it is brand new. Otherwise, replace it with new coolant.

Step 4. Locate your thermostat. The thermostat housing is usually under the upper radiator hose. Unbolt the housing and remove the thermostat, using a screwdriver and pliers. Take the thermostat inside.

Step 5. Fill a pan with water and place the thermostat into the water until it's completely submerged. Ensure that the part does not touch the bottom of the pan.

Step 6. Start heating the water and place a cooking thermometer into the water. Check the temperature frequently while monitoring the thermostat.

The thermostat should remain closed until about 190 ºF (88 ºC). At this temperature, you should see the thermostat begin to open.
The part should be completely open when the water reaches 195 ºF (90.6 ºC). If the thermostat is still closed at this point, it needs to replaced.

The boded...Exactly what is happening to my car ,thank u very much for this sir. Which means my car thermostat is bad also
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 11:19am On Oct 29, 2014
My oga,
The CEL on my sister's Lexus rx 300 2003 came on and it was scanned with the following codes popping up;

P0171- "system too lean- bank 1

P0141-

P0446-

kindly advice on what to do to solve these issues. Thanks alot.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2014
blazetitov:
My oga,
The CEL on my sister's Lexus rx 300 2003 came on and it was scanned with the following codes popping up;

P0171- "system too lean- bank 1

P0141-

P0446-

kindly advice on what to do to solve these issues. Thanks alot.

P0171 might be caused buy a vaccum leak, this could also be caused by the code P0446. This is set when the engine computer recognizes a fault or restriction at the vent control part of the Evaporative emission control system (EVAP),P0446 doesn't directly point to a defective part; some testing might be required to pinpoint the faulty component

Possible causes of P0466

- faulty vent control valve
- blockage at the vent hose, vent filter.
or vent control valve
- open or short in the vent control.
valve.circuit
- bad charcoal canister
- EVAP system leak
- faulty EVAP system pressure sensor
- bad vacuum switching valve (VSV)
- faulty gas cap
- rusted leaking fuel tank

As for the P0141 it refers to a faulty O2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 2 have the harness checked if its fine replace the sensor with OEM.

If this were my car I would start with the oxygen sensor.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 8:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

P0171 might be caused buy a vaccum leak, this could also be caused by the code P0446. This is set when the engine computer recognizes a fault or restriction at the vent control part of the Evaporative emission control system (EVAP),P0446 doesn't directly point to a defective part; some testing might be required to pinpoint the faulty component

Possible causes of P0466

- faulty vent control valve
- blockage at the vent hose, vent filter.
or vent control valve
- open or short in the vent control.
valve.circuit
- bad charcoal canister
- EVAP system leak
- faulty EVAP system pressure sensor
- bad vacuum switching valve (VSV)
- faulty gas cap
- rusted leaking fuel tank

As for the P0141 it refers to a faulty O2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 2 have the harness checked if its fine replace the sensor with OEM.

If this were my car I would start with the oxygen sensor.

thanks bro.
i will communicate this to her. where is this sensor located in the car. is it the exhaust manifold? just guessing. me i be olodo for car issues grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:15am On Oct 30, 2014
blazetitov:

thanks bro.
i will communicate this to her. where is this sensor located in the car. is it the exhaust manifold? just guessing. me i be olodo for car issues grin

Loaction of sensor, use this as refrence:
[img]http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/job-info/en/US/08001001.jpg/1.image[/img]

Picture of sensor:
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE0YqbUgp98WazLaFwqeFUGnK7V_pZxRaCdPLNkWMgmds4j8KUr3luWZTe[/img]
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 7:08am On Oct 30, 2014
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 12:45pm On Nov 03, 2014
morning bro, the catalytic converter in my car has been removed, can i use oxygen spacer on the car. thanks man
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
Beautiful4u:
morning bro, the catalytic converter in my car has been removed, can i use oxygen spacer on the car. thanks man

Yes you can.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 8:19pm On Nov 03, 2014
Hello Boss,
is it appropriate to use mobile transmission ATF for my corolla '04 power steering.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
tolaolu:
Hello Boss,
is it appropriate to use mobile transmission ATF for my corolla '04 power steering.

Yes
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 11:30am On Nov 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Yes you can.
thank you sir
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by paix(m): 7:34pm On Nov 07, 2014
Oga, I just bought a Toyota avensis 2010 ( covered 75,000km ). What grade of oil do you suggest I use for the car?

How do I get the owner's manual in English language? The one that came with the car is in German.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
paix:
Oga, I just bought a Toyota avensis 2010 ( covered 75,000km ). What grade of oil do you suggest I use for the car?

How do I get the owner's manual in English language? The one that came with the car is in German.
Congrats bro!
What type of engine does your avensis have installed?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by paix(m): 6:05pm On Nov 09, 2014
lomomike:

Congrats bro!
What type of engine does your avensis have installed?
I am not too sure, I think it's 2ZR FAE type of engine. The model is ZRT272L-AEXGPW, it has VALVE MATIC on the engine. Does it make sense?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chillex8(m): 6:35pm On Nov 09, 2014
paix:
I am not too sure, I think it's 2ZR FAE type of engine. The model is ZRT272L-AEXGPW, it has VALVE MATIC on the engine. Does it make sense?

*modified*
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2014
Bro,
The coolant reservoir in my Toyota Camry 2000 V6 has been empty for some months and I have been a little bit skeptical about re-filling it cos a mechanic said he will have to remove d entire radiator which I think its not a must. I already bought 2 gallons of coolant and I intend to change it this weekend. Please advise the most necessary precautions to take while changing d coolant. Do i need to flush the radiator with clean water before filling it with the new coolant? See attached pics. Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (508) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.