Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (912723 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
blazetitov:
Bro,
The coolant reservoir in my Toyota Camry 2000 V6 has been empty for some months and I have been a little bit skeptical about re-filling it cos a mechanic said he will have to remove d entire radiator which I think its not a must. I already bought 2 gallons of coolant and I intend to change it this weekend. Please advise the most necessary precautions to take while changing d coolant. Do i need to flush the radiator with clean water before filling it with the new coolant? See attached pics. Thanks a lot.

I'm shocked you said some months!!! How have you been using the car? If you had a leak I would understand but what's your reason for drivng with an empty reservoir?

At the base of the radiator there is a drain valve ensure engine is cool before letting the coolant out.

Good luck.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Issyman(m): 3:48am On Nov 11, 2014
@gazuzz. I want to know when is the appropriate time to change transmission fluid. I have used the car for a year now and covered around 11000 miles.
Toyota camry 02/03 model.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:44am On Nov 11, 2014
Issyman:
@gazuzz. I want to know when is the appropriate time to change transmission fluid. I have used the car for a year now and covered around 11000 miles.
Toyota camry 02/03 model.
Thanks

To be safe every 80,000-100,000miles (use full synthetic oils only)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 8:02am On Nov 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I'm shocked you said some months!!! How have you been using the car? If you had a leak I would understand but what's your reason for drivng with an empty reservoir?

At the base of the radiator there is a drain valve ensure engine is cool before letting the coolant out.

Good luck.

Hmmm! Bros, you dey mind me? What happens is that whenever i get back home after driving out and i open the hood, i usually see some returns in the coolant reservoir. So i get comfortable that i still have enough until last Saturday when i discovered there is no return again.
please, do i need to flush the radiator with water before refiling and the coolant product am about to use, any word on the product?
thanks for the pic, i don print am sharp sharp!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Issyman(m): 9:22am On Nov 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

To be safe every 80,000-100,000miles (use full synthetic oils only)
Thanks for your prompt response. But changing the gear oil @ 80k-100k miles is like 10yrs to me cos I don't travel with my cars. For instance, I only covered 11k miles within a period of 12months. So should I still wait till 80k miles before the change?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairacountry(m): 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2014
Oga Gazzuzz, I hv an issue wit my BreakLight on. It all started about 3weeks ago. It came on, I know it indicated brake fluid going down coz d brake pad is worn. I hweva kip driving d car with d intension of getting good money to buy original brake pad unlike d one worned-out just after 4months in use.
Hweva, I had cause to travel out of town, leaving d car in care of my cousin. He, after finding out that d brake pad is worn, changed it.
The challenge now is that I'm not feeling d sharpness of d brake and d light (brake light) is still ON.
Is it that d pad is fake or d 'resurface' work done b4 putting d pad has damaged d brake discs bcoz it used to b sharper even wit worn-out pads.
Pls help
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2014
Issyman:

Thanks for your prompt response. But changing the gear oil @ 80k-100k miles is like 10yrs to me cos I don't travel with my cars. For instance, I only covered 11k miles within a period of 12months. So should I still wait till 80k miles before the change?

Did you buy the car brand new? What's the current mileage of the vehicle? Check the previous owners documentation and find out if it was ever changed, if you can't get the info, to be safe just have it changed.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairacountry(m): 4:14pm On Nov 11, 2014
nairacountry:
Oga Gazzuzz, I hv an issue wit my BreakLamp on. It all started about 3weeks ago. It came on, I know it indicated brake fluid going down coz d brake pad is worn. I hweva kip driving d car with d intension of getting good money to buy original brake pad unlike d one worned-out just after 4months in use.
Hweva, I had cause to travel out of town, leaving d car in care of my cousin. He, after finding out that d brake pad is worn, changed it.
The challenge now is that I'm not feeling d sharpness of d brake and d light (brake lamp) is still ON.
Is it that d pad is fake or d 'resurface' work done b4 putting d pad has damaged d brake discs bcoz it used to b sharper even wit worn-out pads.
Pls help

pls help
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Issyman(m): 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Did you buy the car brand new? What's the current mileage of the vehicle? Check the previous owners documentation and find out if it was ever changed, if you can't get the info, to be safe just have it changed.

Brand new kini?? I bought it tokunbo at 178098 miles which checks out with the VIN report. The current mileage is 189650 miles. I changed the oil when I acquired the car a year ago. So my question goes thus: should I change the oil now or at what interval should d oil be changed?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43pm On Nov 11, 2014
nairacountry:
Oga Gazzuzz, I hv an issue wit my BreakLight on. It all started about 3weeks ago. It came on, I know it indicated brake fluid going down coz d brake pad is worn. I hweva kip driving d car with d intension of getting good money to buy original brake pad unlike d one worned-out just after 4months in use.
The challenge now is that I'm not feeling d sharpness of d brake and d light (brake light) is still ON.
Pls help

What make and trim of vehicle are we talking about?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:45pm On Nov 11, 2014
Issyman:

Brand new kini?? I bought it tokunbo at 178098 miles which checks out with the VIN report. The current mileage is 189650 miles. I changed the oil when I acquired the car a year ago. So my question goes thus: should I change the oil now or at what interval should d oil be changed?

What type of oil did you use? What is your present mileage?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:55pm On Nov 11, 2014
nairacountry:

pls help

The reservoir of your brake fluid has a switch which is designed to detect low fluid level, it completes a circuit when fluid is low and this in return causes your brake indicator to iluminate on your instrument cluster. Other faults like abs and driving with the parking brakes still engaged will also cause the same light to illuminate. Ill advice you check fluid levels first.

Fake brakepads(auto boss, autoautoboss, etc...) Can and will make your brakes funny, I will strongly recomend you remove them and buy original pads.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 9:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
nairacountry:
Pls help

Atleast one of your brake lights is burnt out. Check and replace the bad bulb and it should go off.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Issyman(m): 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

What type of oil did you use? What is your present mileage?
My mechanic said he used toyota oil. Present mileage is 189650miles.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairacountry(m): 8:45am On Nov 12, 2014
@ Gazzuzz, the vehicle is Honda baby boy (1998) 3.0L v6.
The reservoir has been gauge even above d max level after d new brake pad "Green Life"(pics attached) is fixed.
Oga Adanny01, d brake lights will be checked for burnt bulb & will be changed BUT willthat affect d brake sharpness if it illuminate d brakeLamp?
Thanks my ogas

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 9:06am On Nov 12, 2014
nairacountry:
@ Gazzuzz, the vehicle is Honda baby boy (1998) 3.0L v6.
The reservoir has been gauge even above d max level after d new brake pad "Green Life"(pics attached) is fixed.
Oga Adanny01, d brake lights will be checked for burnt bulb & will be changed BUT willthat affect d brake sharpness if it illuminate d brakeLamp?
Thanks my ogas

There are two things i know that are related to that light
1. Low level of brake fluid/its broken harness
2. Blown brake bulb/its broken harness

Since you dont have a shortage in brake fluid, my guess is the brake lights or its wiring. Have some depress the brake pedal while you look for the blown one.

My friend who drives that same car has that light on, checked his and the bulb was replaced and the light went off. However, that same bulb has burnt out so many times now that he has been ignoring it for long now. You better look for a belgium replacement.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairacountry(m): 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2014
Yeah I will. My question is, does it affect the sharpness of the braking system?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 2:49pm On Nov 12, 2014
nairacountry:
Yeah I will. My question is, does it affect the sharpness of the braking system?

Sorry didn't try to respond to that.

Unfortunately, NO!

That is the responsibility of you brake pads and rotors. The brake pad may not be of good quality or the break-in has not been achieved.The break-in procedure is critical to brake performance. The reason for a proper break in is to establish an even layer of friction material deposited on the rotors from the brake pads. It is very important that this initial layer of friction material is evenly distributed.

Usually you have to drive with caution after installing new brake pads without a break-in procedure. There is a procedure for advance car users i have read called Pad Bedding Procedure which involves intermittently driving and braking at controlled speeds to heat the pad and rotors and imprint rotor surface pattern on the pad surface achieving maximum contact for effective friction.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nairacountry(m): 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2014
"The brake pad may not be of good quality

or the break-in has not been achieved."

Thanks a million. How long on d average can I achieve d break-in? So as to know whether d pad isn't of good quality?

Going by d pix posted up, can u say d pad's quality? Also, my cousin who changed d pad said the mechanic did a 'resurfacing' work on d disc coz '.......d worn out pad was totally worn' according to him.

Hweva, i was sure d braking system was as sharp as ever while d referred totally worn pads were in place!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by naiviris: 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2014
Please we want to buy a car and one of the options is a Toyota Sienna, i feel like its not an everyday car. i mean rouged. Please what is your opinion about this?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2014
naiviris:
Please we want to buy a car and one of the options is a Toyota Sienna, i feel like its not an everyday car. i mean rouged. Please what is your opinion about this?

Its not an every day car and not pocket friendly when it comes to fuel consumtion during city driving.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by planetuzor(m): 7:05am On Nov 23, 2014
Ok gazzzzuzzz am here now..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by planetuzor(m): 7:18am On Nov 23, 2014
Bros, I use a Nissan Xterra O3 model. My major issue with it is that it consumes too much fuel..

have noticed the car is consuming h.ell amount of fuel. Most time spend 2000 to 2500 from Ojota to Magodo > Yaba then Back to Ojota.....

But my friend driving a Nissan pathfinder 1999 model do this same trip with 1500 fuel and still have some to Go church the next day (church distance like from Ojota to Oregun daystar church)

But my own car will already be Out of fuel...
I scanned with a small OBD device and it gave me this code.

"Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: 1EK816

VX133S

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0505: Idle Control System
P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
P0745: Pressure Control Solenoid "A"
P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0328: Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)"

Please Help me oo.. Before the car finish my pocket..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:03am On Nov 23, 2014
planetuzor:
Bros, I use a Nissan Xterra O3 model. My major issue with it is that it consumes too much fuel..

have noticed the car is consuming h.ell amount of fuel. Most time spend 2000 to 2500 from Ojota to Magodo > Yaba then Back to Ojota.....

But my friend driving a Nissan pathfinder 1999 model do this same trip with 1500 fuel and still have some to Go church the next day (church distance like from Ojota to Oregun daystar church)

But my own car will already be Out of fuel...
I scanned with a small OBD device and it gave me this code.

"Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: 1EK816

VX133S

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0505: Idle Control System
P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
P0745: Pressure Control Solenoid "A"
P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0328: Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)"

javascript:void(0);

Please Help me oo.. Before the car finish my pocket..

lets take it from the top.

1. p0505 idle air control valve, im not sure what year xterra u use or engine type(v6/I4) but the idle control valve is located on the throttle body and should look like this. if the harness (wiring) is faulty check it if its ok replace defective iacv.

2.P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit. the function if this sensor is to detect the speed and position of the crankshaft. its location is near the crankshaft pulley, have it checked, p.s if its nor working car wouldnt start.

3.P0745: Pressure Control Solenoid "A" :The Pressure solenoid is inside the transmission and it helps regulate the pressure from the trans fluid pump.

There is also a "Dropping resistors", that controls the voltage from the ECM to the solenoid. If the resistor fail, it can also trigger the same code. The resistor is located in the engine compartment.

4.P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak): your fuel tank should at all times be air tight, there is currently a leak and this is causing this error. check fuel tank cover, check vacuum pipes leading to fuel tank and if there was any previous fuel pump work done on the car, ensure all the screws were tightly screwed back.

5.P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2): check your o2 sensor heater circuit for continuity, replace if faulty.

6.P0328: Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor): check harness to ensure it is connected properly, replace if faulty. this will require some stripping grin RED ARROW IS LOACTION OF KNOCK SENSOR

please ensure you erase all errors and re-scan vehicle after 50km before doing any work, cause most of the errors might be stored errors as a result of removing sockets while ignition/engine being on.

good luck (you are going to need it grin)

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by planetuzor(m): 8:14am On Nov 23, 2014
Bro, pleas do you know any mechanic that can fix this for me. I guess it might look very cumbersome for my mechanic, though the guy too is quite good when you make him understand what you want.?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 1:40pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

lets take it from the top.

1. p0505 idle air control valve, im not sure what year xterra u use or engine type(v6/I4) but the idle control valve is located on the throttle body and should look like this. if the harness (wiring) is faulty check it if its ok replace defective iacv.

2.P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit. the function if this sensor is to detect the speed and position of the crankshaft. its location is near the crankshaft pulley, have it checked, p.s if its nor working car wouldnt start.

3.P0745: Pressure Control Solenoid "A" :The Pressure solenoid is inside the transmission and it helps regulate the pressure from the trans fluid pump.

There is also a "Dropping resistors", that controls the voltage from the ECM to the solenoid. If the resistor fail, it can also trigger the same code. The resistor is located in the engine compartment.

4.P0455: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak): your fuel tank should at all times be air tight, there is currently a leak and this is causing this error. check fuel tank cover, check vacuum pipes leading to fuel tank and if there was any previous fuel pump work done on the car, ensure all the screws were tightly screwed back.

5.P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2): check your o2 sensor heater circuit for continuity, replace if faulty.

6.P0328: Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor): check harness to ensure it is connected properly, replace if faulty. this will require some stripping grin RED ARROW IS LOACTION OF KNOCK SENSOR

please ensure you erase all errors and re-scan vehicle after 50km before doing any work, cause most of the errors might be stored errors as a result of removing sockets while ignition/engine being on.

good luck (you are going to need it grin)

In addition, P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2) is of the one on or after the catalytic converter (indomie).

If his car is a v6, he could swap Bank 1 Sensor 2 for Bank 2 sensor 2 (same sensor) if the car has to confirm that the sensor is faulty. It could be the heater fuse or harness.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:09pm On Nov 23, 2014
adanny01:

In addition, P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2) is of the one on or after the catalytic converter (indomie).

If his car is a v6, he could swap Bank 1 Sensor 2 for Bank 2 sensor 2 (same sensor) if the car has to confirm that the sensor is faulty. It could be the heater fuse or harness.

A live scan will clear all doubts grin

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2014
Nice thread great job bro, please I would like to ask what kind of scanner can I get including the software for my personal use for an fx35 infinity
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43pm On Nov 23, 2014
eddiebruk:
Nice thread great job bro, please I would like to ask what kind of scanner can I get including the software for my personal use for an fx35 infinity

What's your budget? 3-5k, 15-25k, 30-50k, 80-120k, 120-350k
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

What's your budget? 3-5k, 15-25k, 30-50k, 80-120k, 120-350k

3-50k
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2014
eddiebruk:

3-50k

Will get back to you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Will get back to you.

Okay, I will be waiting

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.