Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (917432 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2018
tosin2013:
Hello Gazzuz. Whats ur take on camry 2007 hybrid toks. The car is non accidented.
Whats the major issues with hybrids?

mechanics and parts.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 12:53pm On Nov 27, 2018
nadesh:
Any recommendation for a trusted AC tech in Ajah or Jakande environs is highly welcome.

Pls help

Radautoworks is not far from you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 12:54pm On Nov 27, 2018
Evans211:

The problem here is finding a good workshop and proper diagnosis to this effect. I live in Ibadan and I’ve exhausted all my possible options. A good recommendation/referral would be appreciated.

Timifakay dey Ibadan with you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 27, 2018
Please what's the name of this part, it was leaking few months ago and my kazeem used glue to hold it. Now it started leaking this morning. What's the name of the part and can I still drive it out to fix it.. Further checks online shows it might be fuel pressure regulator, pls if this is correct, what's need tk to be done, how much is the part. Car is Mazda premacy

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kcbaba007: 3:23pm On Nov 27, 2018
Help, my Honda EOD's passenger power windows does not operate, only d driver power window works, it just happened that these windows usy stopped working at the same time, when I try controlling it from d driver power window, all I get is a clicking sound from the three power windows, but it won't respond, if I try operating the windows s individually, they don't respond too, have checked all d fuses, and they are intact. Anyone with similar experience, and probable solution should pls help me out. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 4:56pm On Nov 27, 2018
kcbaba007:
Help, my Honda EOD's passenger power windows does not operate, only d driver power window works, it just happened that these windows usy stopped working at the same time, when I try controlling it from d driver power window, all I get is a clicking sound from the three power windows, but it won't respond, if I try operating the windows s individually, they don't respond too, have checked all d fuses, and they are intact. Anyone with similar experience, and probable solution should pls help me out. Thanks
if the fuses are ruled out then it may be the motor, but it's unlikely that it will go bad all at the same time. I will suggest you check the fuses again.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kashif(m): 8:34pm On Nov 27, 2018
colossus2:
Good morning Mr Gazzuzz.
2013 RAV4 refuses to move when Reverse gear is engaged, it only moves when Drive is engaged.
I changed the shaft on the driver's side on Saturday, it worked that day cos I did a test drive within the compound.
But yesterday when I drove out, the issue came up. Please what do I do. Thanks

Just the shaft was replaced? Nothing else was done? Reverse does not conk out like that. When you say on Drive works, do you have all forward gears, or you just know it moves forward when engaged?

How many cylinders is your Rav?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 5:11am On Nov 28, 2018
Kashif:

Just the shaft was replaced? Nothing else was done? Reverse does not conk out like that. When you say on Drive works, do you have all forward gears, or you just know it moves forward when engaged?

How many cylinders is your Rav?
Yes sir, just the shaft was replaced.
All forward gears move.
4 cylinders.

Yesterday I changed the ATF, the transmission filter and the magnet was washed. Reverse engages sometimes now, sometimes it won’t, then I try changing gears till reverse works.

Now if I put it on Drive, it takes about 4 seconds before it moves. This was after the oil service yesterday.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mustydeen(m): 5:30am On Nov 28, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

about 80k or about 30k.

Baba will continue to run rich o grin

Toks will do, but it could give up the next moment. And getting your matching sensor na war. You cut and join mehn tongue

I be Kazeem, I agree grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:08am On Nov 28, 2018
burticious:
Please what's the name of this part, it was leaking few months ago and my kazeem used glue to hold it. Now it started leaking this morning. What's the name of the part and can I still drive it out to fix it.. Further checks online shows it might be fuel pressure regulator, pls if this is correct, what's need tk to be done, how much is the part. Car is Mazda premacy

your mechanic should be shot!

How do you glue a pressure regulator?

Please park that car until you replace the part.

if your car catches fire now you will start blaming village people. angry

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kashif(m): 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2018
colossus2:

All forward gears move.
4 cylinders.

Yesterday I changed the ATF, the transmission filter and the magnet was washed. Reverse engages sometimes now, sometimes it won’t, then I try changing gears till reverse works.

Now if I put it on Drive, it takes about 4 seconds before it moves. This was after the oil service yesterday.

Can you throw more light on the first bolded? When you say 'try changing gears', what do you mean? Garage shift?

On the second bolded, it is not looking very good...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2018
Kashif:

Can you throw more light on the first bolded? When you say 'try changing gears', what do you mean? Garage shift?

On the second bolded, it is not looking very good...
The 1st bolded is, if I shift to R and it doesn’t work, then I shift to D, return to R, shift to D, return to R, and so on. Then it might just respond sometimes.
Drove to Asaba from Benin, check engine light and TRAC came on. Will run a scan when I get home tonight.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kashif(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2018
colossus2:

The 1st bolded is, if I shift to R and it doesn’t work, then I shift to D, return to R, shift to D, return to R, and so on. Then it might just respond sometimes.
Drove to Asaba from Benin, check engine light and TRAC came on. Will run a scan when I get home tonight.

OK, that is garage shift. You have sticky valves and/or solenoid(s).

It was the check engine that triggered the TRAC. Are you still having the delayed engagement?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 6:56pm On Nov 28, 2018
Kashif:

OK, that is garage shift. You have sticky valves and/or solenoid(s).

It was the check engine that triggered the TRAC. Are you still having the delayed engagement?

Yes there’s still delayed engagement. Reverse barely responds.
Ran a scan now, these are the codes; P0741, P2757.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nadesh(f): 10:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
thebigkendo:

Radautoworks is not far from you
thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mustydeen(m): 4:12am On Nov 29, 2018
colossus2:

All forward gears move.
4 cylinders.

Why did you change the shaft.

And which transmission fluid was used for the change?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 5:01am On Nov 29, 2018
mustydeen:

Why did you change the shaft.

And which transmission fluid was used for the change?
It was making noise at every turn.
Top 1 Super ATF
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:36am On Nov 29, 2018
colossus2:

Top 1 Super ATF

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by OilsPartsCars: 10:12am On Nov 29, 2018
colossus2:

Top 1 Super ATF

Here lies one of the problems. Your 2013 Rav4 was supposed to use Toyota WS, or any fluid that meets JWS 3324

The Top 1 Super ATF is best a dexron III, it will work for your pencil light, not your Rav 4

I hope you have not driven that vehicle that much since the change of transmission fluid.

You need a flush of that system.

The P2757 code are as a result, most times due to late ATF change. Ones you do the change with the right fluid, on most occasions, solves the problem.

Your filter is just 5 years. Ok ok, it is due for change, but it is better than Nnewi own.

2. The shaft, was it just the Outer CV (just the shaft head wink ) that was changed. Or they swapped the complete shaft ?.

ps
Your Rav4 will be fine. e go get head
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 12:02pm On Nov 29, 2018
OilsPartsCars:

Here lies one of the problems. Your 2013 Rav4 was supposed to use Toyota WS, or any fluid that meets JWS 3324

The Top 1 Super ATF is best a dexron III, it will work for your pencil light, not your Rav 4

I hope you have not driven that vehicle that much since the change of transmission fluid.

You need a flush of that system.

The P2757 code are as a result, most times due to late ATF change. Ones you do the change with the right fluid, on most occasions, solves the problem.

Your filter is just 5 years. Ok ok, it is due for change, but it is better than Nnewi own.

2. The shaft, was it just the Outer CV (just the shaft head wink ) that was changed. Or they swapped the complete shaft ?.

ps
Your Rav4 will be fine. e go get head
The issue was there before the oil change.
The complete shaft was swapped (the long rod with the head)

Genesis of the problem....
The complete shaft on the driver’s side was changed. That day it worked (on Saturday) cos I did a test drive within the compound, the part was replaced in the compound. I parked the car till Monday. Twas on Monday the issue started. There was no shaft issue again, except the transmission issue. I then searched for solutions, then the mech said we should do oil change.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by OilsPartsCars: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2018
colossus2:

The issue was there before the oil change.
The complete shaft was swapped (the long rod with the head)

The complete shaft on the driver’s side was changed. That day it worked (on Saturday) cos I did a test drive within the compound, the part was replaced in the compound. I parked the car till Monday. Twas on Monday the issue started. There was no shaft issue again, except the transmission issue. I then searched for solutions, then the mech said we should do oil change.

Your transmission is 13 pin, and those transmissions are crazy.

Why i was asking if you changed the complete shaft was to confirm that the common mistakes made on those tramissions when changing the complete shaft were not made.

Anybody could argue this, and call this some myth. This na things you learn on the job. Street. grin

1. Before you change the complete shaft, it requires that the vehicle is cool. Preferably the next day.

2. Engage gear in Neutral and not park.

3. Guage transmission, to ensure you havent lost so much.

If your mechanic did not alow that transmission to get cool before the shaft swap. We might have more ish to deal with. Could get worse that you might require another transmission.

Also, the Transmission fluid you used is not right for that gear.

I will rather you drain that fluid currently in that transmission. Get toyota WS for a flush.

The cheapest option is the bolded.

Do that first.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2018
OilsPartsCars:

Your transmission is 13 pin, and those transmissions are crazy.

Why i was asking if you changed the complete shaft was to confirm that the common mistakes made on those tramissions when changing the complete shaft were not made.

Anybody could argue this, and call this some myth. This na things you learn on the job. Street. grin

1. Before you change the complete shaft, it requires that the vehicle is cool. Preferably the next day.

2. Engage gear in Neutral and not park.

3. Guage transmission, to ensure you havent lost so much.

If your mechanic did not alow that transmission to get cool before the shaft swap. We might have more ish to deal with. Could get worse that you might require another transmission.

Also, the Transmission fluid you used is not right for that gear.

I will rather you drain that fluid currently in that transmission. Get toyota WS for a flush.

The cheapest option is the bolded.

Do that first.

Hmmm, this is getting scary.
On a Friday morning I drove to the mechanic workshop to have the shaft replaced due to its noise. Got there at 8am and waited for him to resume. Car was parked there.
At about 10am, shaft was removed, we went to the market in Benin to get same type, but we didn’t find it. They said it can only be gotten in Lagos. The seller in the market mentioned this same “myth” you mentioned about if it wasn’t immediately the shaft was removed, I said no that it was like after an hour (he said the myth was common with Venza anyway).
I went back with the mechanic to his workshop and fixed the original shaft that was removed and I went home with the car (Friday afternoon).
On Saturday I called him to come home to remove the shaft so someone going to Lagos could help get another without mistakes since he is going with a sample (the original). The mech came Saturday “evening” to do it.
It took 6 days before the replacement part arrived (the next Friday). On Saturday, it was fixed.
That’s what happened before the quote below.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 5:42pm On Nov 29, 2018
Neutral gear wasn’t engaged either. Car was on Park. Oil change occurred just 2 days ago, because the fault was there already. I will drain the oil.
Remedy to the fault before the oil change is what I don’t know because even if I drain the oil and use recommended, the fault is still there. Location is Benin. Don’t know any reliable mech now.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mustydeen(m): 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2018
colossus2:

Hmmm, this is getting scary.
On a Friday morning I drove to the mechanic workshop to have the shaft replaced due to its noise. Got there at 8am and waited for him to resume. Car was parked there.
At about 10am, shaft was removed, we went to the market in Benin to get same type, but we didn’t find it. They said it can only be gotten in Lagos. The seller in the market mentioned this same “myth” you mentioned about if it wasn’t immediately the shaft was removed, I said no that it was like after an hour (he said the myth was common with Venza anyway).
I went back with the mechanic to his workshop and fixed the original shaft that was removed and I went home with the car (Friday afternoon).
On Saturday I called him to come home to remove the shaft so someone going to Lagos could help get another without mistakes since he is going with a sample (the original). The mech came Saturday “evening” to do it.
It took 6 days before the replacement part arrived (the next Friday). On Saturday, it was fixed.
That’s what happened before the quote below.

Oga Kashif, come put mouth for this matter.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2018
Thank you sir, I don't know if you can tell me how much the part could be, so I can prepare for it and find someone to come help me fix it at home.. Mazda premacy 2000
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by haykay2005: 7:36am On Nov 30, 2018
@gazzuz and other professionals in the house, what is recommended spark plug for 1999 toyota camry(pencil) . Who can direct me to where to get original OEM as una dey call am. A seller was asking if I wanted the short one or ordinary. Thanks

Edited : I just saw these two in the manual
NGK BKR6EKPB-11
DENSO PK20TR11
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by OilsPartsCars: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2018
colossus2:
Neutral gear wasn’t engaged either. Car was on Park. Oil change occurred just 2 days ago, because the fault was there already. I will drain the oil.
Remedy to the fault before the oil change is what I don’t know because even if I drain the oil and use recommended, the fault is still there. [/b]Location is Benin. Don’t know any reliable mech now.

[b]I understand, You need a second opinion, you should get some mechie that specializes in transmissions to check. And Confirm, everything was done right, all connections are intact.

What draining the fluid, or removal of shaft when transmission is still hot is that, it causes rapid cooling , resulting to the shrinking of seals, damaging of gaskets and other internal components. On such occasions, you might just get a Toks transmission. It will be expensive, but it will give you peace of mind in the long run.

Do the bolded above, get the right fluid and flush that system. If that doesn't work, then get another AT
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by OilsPartsCars: 11:17pm On Dec 01, 2018
haykay2005:
@gazzuz and other professionals in the house, what is recommended spark plug for 1999 toyota camry(pencil) . Who can direct me to where to get original OEM as una dey call am. A seller was asking if I wanted the short one or ordinary. Thanks

Edited : I just saw these two in the manual
NGK BKR6EKPB-11
DENSO PK20TR11

All knock offs are called oem, maybe seller meant iridium or copper.

Do you intend fixing it yourself too?. Give your mechanic make him chop mbok. He will put the right plug
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kcbaba007: 11:29pm On Dec 01, 2018
eagleeye2:

if the fuses are ruled out then it may be the motor, but it's unlikely that it will go bad all at the same time. I will suggest you check the fuses again.

Thanks for your response, I have checked all the fuses and they are intact, checked the electric window motors, they are also intact, what baffled me is that the 3 window operations went kaput dsame time, but d driver window kept working fine, I'm.suspecting that d main power switch on the driver's side is d culprit
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kcbaba007: 11:31pm On Dec 01, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Can u just imagine, all those kazeem just dey destroy people car
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jossytech(m): 2:29am On Dec 02, 2018
What best gear oil for 1998 Toyota Camry and how often it shud be changed

What of power steering too

I scan when Check light is on n was EGR, exhaust gas recirculation insufficient (even after new egr installed/replaced)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 12:13pm On Dec 02, 2018
kcbaba007:

Thanks for your response, I have checked all the fuses and they are intact, checked the electric window motors, they are also intact, what baffled me is that the 3 window operations went kaput dsame time, but d driver window kept working fine, I'm.suspecting that d main power switch on the driver's side is d culprit

Come oh! There is a switch on the drivers door that stops all 3 windows from operating. The drivers window is excluded and this sounds like that button was pressed.

Press the button to turn it off then try again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.