Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing - Properties (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing (157647 Views)

Hardwood For House Roofing 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 1x12, 3x4 call 08182481552 / How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation / How To Calculate The Price of a C of O and Governor's Consent In Lagos Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 17, 2019
HsLBroker:
A home is gotten when you look for comfort based on your fantasy, but a shelter is a necessity, and a building becomes a shelter when it can prevent rain,water,sun, strong wind and other climatic elements from affecting the occupants- human,animal, living and dead loads with personal effects.

As far as I am concerned the moment you have your roof placed on a building, other things are important but they are basically needs. You can’t move into a house without a roof , but we have seen people living in a house with no window or makeshifts windows covered with ordinary bags and cardboards.

So it is very important to calculate the dimension of the true length of a roof members. These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wall plate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts etc.

Residential timber-framing construction clearly differentiate between spacing and span Spacing the centre-to-centre distance between structural members, unless otherwise indicated.

Span the face-to-face distance between points capable of giving full support to structural members or assemblies. In particular, rafter spans are measured as the distance between points of support along the length of the rafter and not as the horizontal projection of this distance.

Single span the span of a member supported at or near both ends with no intermediate supports.

Continuous span the term applied to members supported at or near both ends and at one or more intermediate points such that no span is greater than twice another.

Span/length calculation for roof members.

As can be seen the span of the rafter in the figure below is not quite in agreement with the Code but we will use the figures for the rafter span as calculated below.

Wood/ timber are sawn into various sizes amongst are

2” by 2” i.e 50mm by 50mm

2” by 3” i.e 50mm by 75mm

2” by 4” i.e 50mm by 100mm

2” by 6” i.e 50mm by 150mm

3” by 4” i.e 75mm by 100mm

3” by 6” i.e 75mm by 150mm
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2019
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 01, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 01, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Lubanko: 3:44pm On Jan 22, 2020
Lol. There's nothing to calculate and nothing to do math about. You can easily find calculator on the web.
I remember the last year I had to fire workers as they tried to charge extra $100 for non-existing materials.
The moral: always double check and use benefits of civilization. Btw here's the concalculator
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2020
HsLBroker:
A home is gotten when you look for comfort based on your fantasy, but a shelter is a necessity, and a building becomes a shelter when it can prevent rain,water,sun, strong wind and other climatic elements from affecting the occupants- human,animal, living and dead loads with personal effects.

As far as I am concerned the moment you have your roof placed on a building, other things are important but they are basically needs. You can’t move into a house without a roof , but we have seen people living in a house with no window or makeshifts windows covered with ordinary bags and cardboards.

So it is very important to calculate the dimension of the true length of a roof members. These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wall plate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts etc.

Residential timber-framing construction clearly differentiate between spacing and span Spacing the centre-to-centre distance between structural members, unless otherwise indicated.

Span the face-to-face distance between points capable of giving full support to structural members or assemblies. In particular, rafter spans are measured as the distance between points of support along the length of the rafter and not as the horizontal projection of this distance.

Single span the span of a member supported at or near both ends with no intermediate supports.

Continuous span the term applied to members supported at or near both ends and at one or more intermediate points such that no span is greater than twice another.

As can be seen the span of the rafter in the figure below is not quite in agreement with the Code but we will use the figures for the rafter span as calculated below.

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 30, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 31, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=84956443][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jan 31, 2020
HsLBroker:

Call 08182481552 for more
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 01, 2020
HsLBroker:
[quote author=HsLBroker post=86261780][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 03, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 03, 2020
HsLBroker:
From the picture above you can see the height of the roof of building and the length and breadth of building is already shown in the floor plan, so left to be known is the rafter or the fall ‘x’ as shown in diagram above.

Remember the Pythagoras theorem in secondary school days used in calculating the longest part of a right angle triangle.

The numbers of wood to be calculated also depends on spacing for the purpose of this exercise, we are using the format in diagram above as our specifications for our calculations.

For ceiling noggins of 600mm centers it simply means the wood are nailed 600mm apart, so add the breadth of plan and 600mm as overhangs both sides i.e 7,800mm or 7.8m +1200mm or 1-2m=9meters

Then divide by 0.6m=15pcs of 16.975m of 50 by 50.

For the longitudinal portion, 16.975+1.2m(the overhangs of 0.6m both sides)=18.175m then divide by 0.6=31 pcs of 9m of 2” by 2” ( Note how the length on one side is used to calculate the pieces/numbers of wood required for the length of the other side)

So to know the number of 2 by 2 to buy in the market for the ceiling noggins-

18.175m x 15pcs=273m of 2” by 2”

9m x 31pcs=279m of 2” by 2”

Total=552m

In the market, the wood comes in 3.6m per piece

So 552/3.6=153 pcs of 2” by 2” timber to buy in the market for ceiling noggins.

WALL PLATE is the timber/wood that are placed on top of blocks or roof beams as the case may apply, so for the fastest way to calculate this, is to add the entire walls length and divide by 3.6m to know the numbers of pieces you need. I am using approximately 100m.

So for 100m, divide by 3.6=28pcs of 3” by 4” or 75mm by 100mm to purchase in the market for timber named wall plate.

For FACIAL BOARD, remember the length and breadth of the plan of the building with its overhangs of 0.6m each, so add the perimeter

9m+9m+18.175m+18.175m=54m

Divide 54m by 3.6m=15pcs of 1” by 12”

For TIE BEAM, going by the section, it was recommended that we lay the timber named tie beam which is 2” by 6” or 100mm by 150mm at 1.2m centers apart. So what we need to do is to follow the same format used in calculating the ceiling noggins but it is going to span only the breadth of 7.8m only.

So divide 18.175m by 1.2m centers (spacing)

=15pcs of 7.8m =117m, then divide by 3.6m to know the numbers to buy/purchase in market.

117/3.6=32pcs of 2 by 6 of wood termed as tie beam to buy in the market.

STRUTS are a bit complex to calculate, they are the members placed diagonally as shown in diagram to connect the rafter with tie beams. We can use the numbers of tie beams and multiply by 2-

i.e 32 pcs multiply by 2=64 pcs of 3 by 4 or 75mm by 100mm termed as struts to be bought in the market.

For RAFTER, check the height of roof and the breadth of plan to determine the rafter which is the falling portion of the roof (except is already given from the section)

Lets take the height of the roof as 3.5m and the breadth of plan plus overhang is 9m.
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 05, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=84956443][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 10, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=86390473][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 10, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=86530321][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 10, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 15, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:15am On Feb 16, 2020
HsLBroker:
call for more
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 16, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=86278364][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 16, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 19, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 20, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=86531296][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 21, 2020
HsLBroker:

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 23, 2020
HsLBroker:

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 27, 2020
HsLBroker:

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 28, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 28, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 29, 2020
HsLBroker:
From the picture above you can see the height of the roof of building and the length and breadth of building is already shown in the floor plan, so left to be known is the rafter or the fall ‘x’ as shown in diagram above.

Remember the Pythagoras theorem in secondary school days used in calculating the longest part of a right angle triangle.

The numbers of wood to be calculated also depends on spacing for the purpose of this exercise, we are using the format in diagram above as our specifications for our calculations.

For ceiling noggins of 600mm centers it simply means the wood are nailed 600mm apart, so add the breadth of plan and 600mm as overhangs both sides i.e 7,800mm or 7.8m +1200mm or 1-2m=9meters

Then divide by 0.6m=15pcs of 16.975m of 50 by 50.

For the longitudinal portion, 16.975+1.2m(the overhangs of 0.6m both sides)=18.175m then divide by 0.6=31 pcs of 9m of 2” by 2” ( Note how the length on one side is used to calculate the pieces/numbers of wood required for the length of the other side)

So to know the number of 2 by 2 to buy in the market for the ceiling noggins-

18.175m x 15pcs=273m of 2” by 2”

9m x 31pcs=279m of 2” by 2”

Total=552m

In the market, the wood comes in 3.6m per piece

So 552/3.6=153 pcs of 2” by 2” timber to buy in the market for ceiling noggins.

WALL PLATE is the timber/wood that are placed on top of blocks or roof beams as the case may apply, so for the fastest way to calculate this, is to add the entire walls length and divide by 3.6m to know the numbers of pieces you need. I am using approximately 100m.

So for 100m, divide by 3.6=28pcs of 3” by 4” or 75mm by 100mm to purchase in the market for timber named wall plate.

For FACIAL BOARD, remember the length and breadth of the plan of the building with its overhangs of 0.6m each, so add the perimeter

9m+9m+18.175m+18.175m=54m

Divide 54m by 3.6m=15pcs of 1” by 12”

For TIE BEAM, going by the section, it was recommended that we lay the timber named tie beam which is 2” by 6” or 100mm by 150mm at 1.2m centers apart. So what we need to do is to follow the same format used in calculating the ceiling noggins but it is going to span only the breadth of 7.8m only.

So divide 18.175m by 1.2m centers (spacing)

=15pcs of 7.8m =117m, then divide by 3.6m to know the numbers to buy/purchase in market.

117/3.6=32pcs of 2 by 6 of wood termed as tie beam to buy in the market.

STRUTS are a bit complex to calculate, they are the members placed diagonally as shown in diagram to connect the rafter with tie beams. We can use the numbers of tie beams and multiply by 2-

i.e 32 pcs multiply by 2=64 pcs of 3 by 4 or 75mm by 100mm termed as struts to be bought in the market.

For RAFTER, check the height of roof and the breadth of plan to determine the rafter which is the falling portion of the roof (except is already given from the section)

Lets take the height of the roof as 3.5m and the breadth of plan plus overhang is 9m.
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 04, 2020
HsLBroker:

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 05, 2020
HsLBroker:

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (35) (Reply)

New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) / Mansions In Nigeria (pics) - You Can Post More Pictures / Okwudili Umenyiora Owns One Of The Most Luxurious Houses In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.