Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:34 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (482708 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 10:24am On Jun 07, 2015
safarigirl:
can't see Mali winning Ghana, but like you said, anything can happen
hmmm, i hate it when we meet african sides at fifa tournaments, they become very difficult to beat. In 09, we struggled to beat s.a in the 1/16. We will beat them but football is unpredictable.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:26am On Jun 07, 2015
safarigirl:
can't see Mali winning Ghana, but like you said, anything can happen
Mali beat them in the group stages at the AYC but the coach was so demoralized by the defeat to Senegal at the Semi finals that he said he did not come to win 3rd place hence he used an entire 2nd eleven for the 3rd place match with Ghana which they lost.

It's going to be a cracker as I think Mali has a good coach, while Ghana has added more technical players to the team that were not at the AYC.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:31am On Jun 07, 2015
[b][size=14pt]U20 World Cup: All African teams hit knockout rounds[/size]

History was made Sunday when all four African teams at the FIFA U20 World Cup - Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana and Mali – made it to the knockout stage of the competition for the first time ever.

Interestingly, it will be an all-African clash on Wednesday, when Ghana face Mali in Wellington.

Ghana, the first and only team from Africa to win this competition in 2009, lost 1-0 to Mali in the group stage of the African Youth Championship in Senegal in March, before they avenged this defeat by beating their West African rivals to finish third in the same tournament.

This fixture means that at least an African team are guaranteed a place in the last eight of this tournament.

African champions Nigeria will take on the champions of Europe Germany on Thursday in Christchurch after the Flying Eagles finished second in Group E behind Brazil.

Senegal, hosts and runners-up at the 2015 AYC, also made it to the knockout rounds after they finished as one of the “third best losers” and they will now tackle Ukraine in Auckland on Wednesday.[/b]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:18am On Jun 07, 2015
tbaba1234:

Mali beat them at the AYC
ya, I'm aware. I like to think Ghana will win though, maybe by one goal.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 07, 2015
ajf:

Are Germany better than Hungary? Yes! They are the European champions. That's the only way to measure right now.
Can Nigeria beat Germany? Yes! Read my post again and you will find out I said that so many times. Seems you don't understand my point.
And please, leave God out of this.
I had the bold part to contend with! Based on your point; is Argentina better than Brazil? Yes, because they won the South America Championship! But where are the Argies now? Out of the Competition pitifully!
If we could whitewash the German Clubs, the three Clubs respectively with mouthwatering scorelines who says we can't beat their national Team?
Time we tell dude! I know the Lads will prove you Guys wrong convincingly and credibly!!!
Mind you we need God in all our endeavors!!!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
In the game against Germany, Manu Garba must seek to address the problem of the team.
He must sort out the problem of lack of balance in the team after the loss to Brazil..
He needs to set his priority right or else he gets bitten down. This is a case of putting the cart before the horse..

I miss this great family of football loving Nigerians.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 12:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]U20 World Cup: All African teams hit knockout rounds[/size]

History was made Sunday when all four African teams at the FIFA U20 World Cup - Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana and Mali – made it to the knockout stage of the competition for the first time ever.

Interestingly, it will be an all-African clash on Wednesday, when Ghana face Mali in Wellington.

Ghana, the first and only team from Africa to win this competition in 2009, lost 1-0 to Mali in the group stage of the African Youth Championship in Senegal in March, before they avenged this defeat by beating their West African rivals to finish third in the same tournament.

This fixture means that at least an African team are guaranteed a place in the last eight of this tournament.

African champions Nigeria will take on the champions of Europe Germany on Thursday in Christchurch after the Flying Eagles finished second in Group E behind Brazil.

Senegal, hosts and runners-up at the 2015 AYC, also made it to the knockout rounds after they finished as one of the “third best losers” and they will now tackle Ukraine in Auckland on Wednesday.[/b]
oga, i must congratulate on the gud job that u are doing on this thread. Ur updates and match reports have been wonderful. Kudos to u. I hope u consider a career in journalism coz u are a great reporter.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by naturalwaves: 12:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
mrham03:
oga, i must congratulate on the gud job that u are doing on this thread. Ur updates and match reports have been wonderful. Kudos to u. I hope u consider a career in journalism coz u are a great reporter.
yeah, he is doing a good job just that he needs to reference Fifa's website when he brings a news from there.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 12:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
[quote author=linked post=34502185][/quote]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 12:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
[quote author=linked post=34502203][/quote]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
naturalwaves:

yeah, he is doing a good job just that he needs to reference Fifa's website when he brings a news from there.
yeah, referencing is very important nowadays that people are sued for it. I hope he does that.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by naturalwaves: 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
CFCfan:
Against Germany Manu has no choice but to name a midfield trio of Sokari, Idowu and Ifeanyi. The front three could be Iheanacho, Awonyi and Yahaya. Success can come off the bench in the 2nd half.
Seems like you have forgotten Nwakali on the bench. I Would take Nwakali over Ifeanyi any day any time but like the father he is, Manu is trying to market some of the players so they can get a good/better placement.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 12:54pm On Jun 07, 2015
linked:
Italy, Spain and Germany.

I hope to quote this comment when the time is right... Take note cool
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2015
linked:
Just to douse some tension maybe ironically... grin

This German team is very good... One of the best in the competition so far. The got a frightening efficiency of which the eagles are found wanting.

Their pass completion rate so far is impeccable (My assumption on their games so far NOT opta stats)

An impressive defense line

But something HUGE is missing in the German team.... .

Talk about it after Hungary is in the bag
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 12:59pm On Jun 07, 2015
[quote author=linked post=34518894][/quote]when the time is ryt, u wont be able to quote it. U know why? Coz it will be a ghana- naija u-20 worldcup final.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by peterd53(m): 1:00pm On Jun 07, 2015
m so disappointed wit so..me fans claiming we should have loss ds match. u re talking nonsense
did u knw DAT during Asian youth cup, Uzbekistan were beaten 5-0 by Korea. wat make u tink Germany wu only manage 2 win uzbekistan by 3goal to nil can beat Nigeria DAT trash Korea by 4goal to nil

u can quote me if u wish. ds a prove
Strengths and style
On the surface, coach An Ye Gun's charges are a
typical Korea DPR side, playing with trademark
fighting spirit and soaking up pressure before
hitting teams on the break. They employed a
conservative game plan in the lead-up to the
semi-finals, struggling to live up to their potential
before sealing qualification with a penalty-shootout
victory against Japan. But with the qualifying
mission complete and with the players physically
recovered from their travel fatigue, they emerged a
different side against Uzbekistan, dominating the
semi-final from start to finish as they ran out 5-0
winners.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 1:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Moses Simon tips Saviour to dazzle Europe[/size]

KAA Gent of Belgium forward Moses Simon has tipped Flying Eagles teammate Godwin Saviour to be a big hit in Europe should he be given his chance there.

Saviour, who features for Nigeria National League side Plateau United on loan from FC Sports, hogged the headlines at the U20 World Cup in New Zealand with two well-taken goals against North Korea.

He has already been capped by Nigeria Olympic team.

Simon won his first major trophy in Europe this past season – Belgian league championship – and he said 19-year-old Saviour could also make a name for himself in Europe because he is hungry to succeed and weighs in with his fair share of goals.

“He is an aggressive forward. He is a kind of player who will succeed in Europe because he is hungry and he scores goals,” remarked Moses Simon.

“I heard a little about him before I met him here (in New Zealand). In training, he showed he is a good player, but because of his age, I thought maybe the coach will only keep him on the bench.

“And he was on the bench for most of the first game (vs Brazil), but in the second half against Korea, he proved many wrong. I am very happy for him.” [/b]
he just might take the shine away from Nacho. And who else notice that Coachito is rotating them. Today's game is evident that sokari en Nacho cant play together. Same for bulbwa en success. Awoniyi to me is more disciplined that these other guys.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by peterd53(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2015
khattab02:
hmmmm.... Oboy where una dey get this kain of liver and cockiness from?? I go need am ooooooo......

Big ups!

#we are still in

u don see y I stake my nairaland accout?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 1:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
bigblangston:
Dis dude will give jack bauer a run for his money. Pls can u tell us wher SHEKAU is?
Na for invisible SAMBISA abi na SHAMBISHA Forest. Lol

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:17pm On Jun 07, 2015
[b][size=14pt]The Day's Games Review: Germany smash records as Fiji's fairy tale ends[/size]

THE DAY REPLAYED – The final day of group matches at the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 once again offered plenty of excitement. While Germany and Brazil’s had already secured their places in the next round, the race for the last 16 continued behind the two leaders in Groups E and F.

The day began with an assured 5-1 win for the Germans against Honduras, who must now pack their bags and head for home home. Meanwhile Uzbekistan – still in last place with no points before kick-off – beat Fiji 3-0 to leap into second place and qualify directly for the knockout stages, a result that brings the Pacific islanders’ World Cup adventure to an end after three matches.

As evening fell, Brazil had clear difficulties breaking through Korea DPR’s tightly packed defence and only managed to shine in the second half, while Nigeria secured the runner-up spot with a 2-0 victory against Hungary.

The African side’s reward for this achievement is a last-16 encounter with a sharp-shooting Germany, while Hungary face an all-European duel with Serbia. Fans in New Plymouth, meanwhile, will be treated to a South American derby on Wednesday as Brazil take on Uruguay.

Results
Group E
Hungary 0-2 Nigeria
Brazil 3-0 Korea DPR

Group F
Honduras 1-5 Germany
Fiji 0-3 Uzbekistan

Goal of the day
Brazil 2-0 Korea DPR, Jean Carlos (66’)
Christchurch witnessed a flash of Brazilian footballing wizardry midway through the second half. A throw-in landed at the feet of Jean Carlos while he still had his back to goal. In the blink of an eye, the striker turned, tricked his way past two defenders and fired an unstoppable strike into the bottom-left corner.

Memorable moments
Sunday outing
On a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Christchurch, the blazing sunshine prompted many families to head down to the stadium to watch two enthralling U-20 World Cup encounters. The crowd of 15,298 not only created a wonderful atmosphere but were treated to quite a spectacle, as Germany and Honduras scored a total of six goals in the afternoon before Brazil added a further three that evening to round off a thoroughly enjoyable family day out.

The impenetrable goal
Brazil would have been excused for pulling their hair out during their game against Korea DPR. Despite dominating the match in the first half, the ball just would not cross the line, as demonstrated by one scarcely believable moment in the 30th minute. After an impressive solo run from Judivan, Malcolm picked up the ball on the right-hand side of the penalty area, but his shot was deflected by Kim Kuk Chol straight to the feet of Guilherme. The unmarked 19-year-old reacted instantaneously, but could only steer his effort onto the post rather than into the empty net. From there the ball bounced back across goal, where Judivan and Boschilia managed to send it over the crossbar together from five yards out.

Long-distance throwing
Although goalkeepers are normally deployed to prevent goals from being scored, Nigerian custodian Joshua Enaholo proved to be an equally effective provider in his side’s match against Hungary. Hurling a throw-out well over the halfway line, he caught Hungary’s high defensive line off-guard. His throw landed in the path of Taiwo Awoniyi, who skipped past the sole remaining opponent and slotted the ball home to give Nigeria an unassailable 2-0 lead. Enaholo, having claimed an assist, celebrated exuberantly with his team-mates in true African style.

The stat
16 – Germany have been in fine scoring form during their three group matches, finding the net 16 times and breaking two records in the process. Frank Wormuth’s players surpassed the record for most goals scored in the group stages held by Brazil since 1997 (15) while at the same time beating their own previous best of 14 strikes set in 1987.

The words
"To have a chance of going through at the last game was a dream, but unfortunately the dream didn't come true. Nevertheless, this campaign has already worked wonders for football in Fiji, not only for the players but also for our football association. The country had a team at a World Cup for the first time and one that proved we can compete at this level. The players have shown everyone, but most importantly themselves, that they can make the most of an opportunity when they get one. It has been an amazing experience for Fiji.” Frank Farina, Fiji coach

Next matchday
Wednesday 10 June 2015

Round of 16
Ukraine – Senegal, 19:30 (Auckland)
Ghana – Mali, 16:00 (Wellington)
Serbia – Hungary, 16:00 (Dunedin)
USA – Colombia, 19:30 (Wellington)

(All times local) [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 1:18pm On Jun 07, 2015
bigblangston:
Dis dude will give jack bauer a run for his money. Pls can u tell us wher SHEKAU is?
Na for inside the invisible SHRINE inside SAMBISA abi na SHAMBISHA Forest, Opp. Shekau high way, adjacent ISIS junction. Lol
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 1:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
Daninya11:
In the game against Germany, Manu Garba must seek to address the problem of the team.
He must sort out the problem of lack of balance in the team after the loss to Brazil..
He needs to set his priority right or else he gets bitten down. This is a case of putting the cart before the horse..

I miss this great family of football loving Nigerians.
he knows what to do to shock Germany. We wont only control the game, we would also score 1st and be the calmer side.

The issue i have i sthe blending formula he is goina use based on how he wants to face Germany. Awoniyi, Success and Simon should start for me. Let Ifeanyi and Bulbwa rest. Nwakali should start as well. Then Savior can come to save if there is any need for that.

But i fear one thing...... Our goalkeeper. The germans must have seen his comfy from that Brazil clip and may want to exploit that well.

Between Haruna's set and Nacho's set, Nacho's have a better midfield. Defence i cant compare, but Nacho's set responds faster than Haruna's
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by opiscoal(m): 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2015
I can remember vividly, Success had an injury and Awoniyi was called to take position,... So therefore baba God I no dey swear oOO, but anybody wey dey my position of glory, baba give am injury, mk me sef shine.. Thank u lord
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by naturalwaves: 1:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
Two matches to watch out for.....Nig vs Ger and then Bra vs Uruguay. Uruguay is capable of sending Brazil home.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
linked:
Italy, Spain and Germany.

I hope to quote this comment when the time is right... Take note cool

ITALY 2006 world cup... Italy had a slow start in the 2006 world cup... They won ghana 2 goals to nil... But those who watch that match would agree that ghana made some serious mistakes and that was their own undoing.... Underwise ghana was the better team that day.. infact, a fair result would have been a draw.

In their second game they played a 1-1 draw with USA the same USA ghana won.... Italy eventually won Czech Republic in their last game and topped the group with 7points.. . Ghana had 6 points..

SPAIN.. 2010 world cup.... Spain lost their first game to Switzerland by a single goal... infact it could have been worse had the swiss team capitalise on spain's blunder.... Silver, villa, Iniesta et al were caught a forlorn picture... Spain bounced backed though and still qualified from their group..

GERMANY...2014 world cup.. Germany started on a convincing fashion with a 4-0 win over Portugal... They played a 2-2 draw with ghana... Infact... Ghana deserved to win this match but they didn't because of profligacy in front of goal... They were the better team... Germany eventually won the USA with a single muller strike... Again here it was a balanced game that could have gone either way...

All the above three teams have something in common.... They won the world cup those years... They weren't perfect teams.
Non could muster 9 points from their group.. BUT they won the world cup...

9points count for nothing in the knockout stages... infact it can create some complacency in players...
....... .. *To be continued *

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 1:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
mrham03:
when the time is ryt, u wont be able to quote it. U know why? Coz it will be a ghana- naija u-20 worldcup final.
I laugh at you grin sorry.. I mean laugh with you smiley
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 1:46pm On Jun 07, 2015
A draw would have given us Serbia. That is the same thing as Germany. . Serbia only lost the European semis via penalty. Germany and Serbia are on the same level.

Germany did not dominate Uzbekistan and Honduras, despite the scoreline.. The stats were very close but Germany had better players.

Germany will give Nigeria chances.

Hungary whooped fiji
korea whooped Uzbekistan
Fiji whooped honduras

It shows how weak their group was, yet these guys created chances. Nigeria will be more dangerous.

I like the current defensive solidity, we will need that.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by naturalwaves: 1:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
daveP:
he knows what to do to shock Germany. We wont only control the game, we would also score 1st and be the calmer side.

The issue i have i sthe blending formula he is goina use based on how he wants to face Germany. Awoniyi, Success and Simon should start for me. Let Ifeanyi and Bulbwa rest. Nwakali should start as well. Then Savior can come to save if there is any need for that.

But i fear one thing...... Our goalkeeper. The germans must have seen his comfy from that Brazil clip and may want to exploit that well.

Between Haruna's set and Nacho's set, Nacho's have a better midfield. Defence i cant compare, but Nacho's set responds faster than Haruna's
Yeah, Nwakali and Idowu should start so that they can hold that midfield very well defensively. Yahaya and Nacho should play too. It won't be a bad idea to have an extra player in that midfield aside these 4 and use a lone striker , Nacho can play as supporting striker right behind Awoniyi or success so he can get into scoring positions.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
naturalwaves:

Yeah, Nwakali and Idowu should start so that they can hold that midfield very well defensively. Yahaya and Nacho should play too. It won't be a bad idea to have an extra player in that midfield aside these 4 and use a lone striker , Nacho can play as supporting striker right behind Awoniyi or success so he can get into scoring positions.

You don't make wholesale changes to a winning team. The best , you would have is one or two changes.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 1:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
linked:
I laugh at you grin sorry.. I mean laugh with you smiley
lmao, jux believe it ghana v nigeria final. The best team will win on that day.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2015
[b][size=14pt]We are ready for Germany say Flying Eagles[/size]

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles have said they are prepared to meet European champions Germany on Thursday for a place in the last-eight of the U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The African champions beat Hungary 2-0 on Sunday to qualify behind Brazil from Group E.

Coach Manu Garba said his team are now looking forward for a match-up between the African kings and their European counterparts at Christchurch.

“If you want to be champions, you have to be ready for any team. So, we are prepared for Germany or any other team because we want to win this World Cup,” he said.

Moses Simon exclusive interview

“The most important thing right now is that after losing to Brazil, we have come back to qualify for the next round of the tournament.”

Manu said his team stopped Hungary from playing their usual game and he would have been happier with more goals on Sunday.

“Overall, it was a good game for us. We knew Hungary will try to use the wings and pull out their balls from there, but we stopped them from playing,” said the coach.

Manu: Hungary biggest game of our lives

“I would probably have been happier had we scored more goals.”

Goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo who has redeemed himself after his two blunders cost Nigeria their opening match against Brazil said they relish the challenge Germany will pose.

“Let them come. We are ready for them,” he simply said. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by khattab02: 2:02pm On Jun 07, 2015
peterd53:

u don see y I stake my nairaland accout?
yeah, yes sir!

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.