Stats: 3,162,330 members, 7,850,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:49 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (482668 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 7:38am On Jun 08, 2015
kannymoore:

I entered "ghostmode" today for a reason. Ive been bedridden for the better part of the day. However, it still didn't stop me from crawling out of the bed to watch the match.

The match was an absolute borefest with almost nothing to play for since both countries had already qualified for the next round.

That said, I will not hesitate to commend awoniyi for his brilliantly taken two goals. Dunno which to rate higher though a standing ovation must be given for what should be termed "the assist of the tournament" in the long throw by enaholo which resulted in the 2nd goal. That throw should be the longest throw I've ever seen in my over twenty-someting years of football viewing, that has resulted in a goal!

That said, I didn't enjoy the match at all (neither have I enjoyed the previous two matches either, save for the first half performance against Brazil) and if the flying eagles do not step up their gameplay a couple of notches higher than they've been showing since the beginning of this tournament, they MIGHT NOT beat Germany!

I'm not really picking bones with the players themselves but with the coaching staff. Why have we started with this new taactic of spraying 4-5 inconsequential passes among the backline and midfield pivots and the hoof the ball in the air towards the striker?!

I noticed this a lot during the African Championship but I thought its could be maybe due to lack of adequate camping time and that by the time the worldcup started, all the kinks would have been ironed out.

But to my chagrin, its still there.

I hope..*hmmm!!*...I just hope that this "new" playing pattern is just a sham so as to decieve our opponents in the later stages of the tourney of our tactical vulnerability until we show them our real hand thereby tearing their match-strategies into shreds.

Anyway.. until the next game against germany!... lemme still have hope and belief in our boys!

Fly Nigeria!!

You read my thoughts and displayed them here. We are no longer seeing the total football philosphy.

I feel one of the reasons for that is we don't have a holding midfielder/playmaker. Idowu is the anchor man, Sokari is more of a box to box, same with Bulbwa against Hungary, ifeanyi is more or less an additional presence with no definition. Awoniyi and Godwin are the only attacking outlets we've had

This was not the same set up as we saw at U17. Let's hope for the best sha.

By the way, hope you are getting better. Please get fit soon so we can celebrate our next success
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:07am On Jun 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles find the direct route in victory against Hungary[/size]

Perhaps it was to do with the knowledge that, whatever the result, they would progress beyond the group stage. Then again, perhaps it was simply a function of an unchanged lineup growing into an understanding. In any case, the Flying Eagles produced their best performance of the tournament in victory over Hungary.

The result sets up a date with European champions Germany on the 11th. A draw could have gotten them a potentially more negotiable tie against Serbia, but in a tournament Nigeria started tentatively, a win was of the essence. If for no other reason, as a psychological fillip – beating Serbia may be strategically more cunning, but would leave doubts in the minds of the players as to their capability against the top teams.

Goals either side of half-time from Taiwo Awoniyi did for the Hungarians, and both came from attacking quickly into a channel. For the first, Saviour Godwin was released down the right, and his low cross was turned in at the near-post by the burly no. 18 - his first of the tournament, and no less than he has deserved for his endeavour.

The second was the result of an almighty throw-out by goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo into the left-channel, and perhaps gives an idea why he has kept the more commanding Dele Alampasu out of the side. Never mind his greater agility, the accuracy of his throws are becoming quite the offensive weapon: he launched one to set the team on its way to the second goal in the group opener against Brazil.

Besides providing one more attacking avenue, Enaholo has grown in confidence since the opening game. His decision to juggle a cross in the second period may have drawn gasps from the viewership, but not from the bench - they are well aware of what he is about. He is of the Fabien Barthez school: somewhat undersized for the position, unorthodox and exultant in his otherness, a risk-taker, uber-confident. The yield is high – Barthez won a World Cup and got to another final – but along the way, there will be inevitable gaffes.

In any case, he was never subjected to the same level of exposure as in that opener six days ago. It is a comfort to see the understanding of Zaharadeen Bello and Wilfred Ndidi blossom game-on-game, here they were solid and commanding, keeping runaway tournament topscorer Bence Mervo utterly quiet.

In front of the defence, Akinjide Idowu was splendid, receiving the ball and turning away from pressure in one fluid movement; and dropping between the centre-backs to encourage the full-backs up the pitch. His passing was simple: changing the angle of the attack and, importantly, helping Ndidi get time on the ball to advance the play.

When this happened, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi would move slightly right-of-centre, with Sokari dropping deep left-ish, creating a 3-2 shape. This emptied the no. 10 space for one of the wingers to come in off the line and receive the ball on the turn – ostensibly, this was Bernard Bulbwa’s responsibility. However, he failed to fulfil the role (one which Kelechi Iheanacho understands and flourishes in), forcing Ndidi to try to find Awoniyi over the top.

It did not help also that Ifeanyi is essentially a passenger in build-up, more a decoy than an actual passing option. The team struggled with this in the loss to Brazil. His inability to use the ball intelligently prevented the team from finding Iheanacho between the lines, as the Manchester City man opted to remain high up the pitch.

There remains that underlying sense that Iheanacho is being made to pay for his (relative) success at club level. Having arrived unavoidably late to camp, he can have no complaints: the furniture has moved, and his place at the head of the table has been usurped. What is baffling though is the fact that Manu Garba saw fit to take him to the tournament on the back of little preparation with the team, but has no intention of building the team around him, or of even giving him a run-out where he fits best.

The same can be said for Success Isaac and Moses Simon – all three are potential game-changers, and are on a different technical level to the rest of the team’s attacking options. All three have also been peripheral in New Zealand. Indeed, Simon saw his first minutes as a second half-substitute in Taranaki, Success started the opener in an unfamiliar left-wing role, while Iheanacho got an hour playing a position that does not utilize his strengths.

There will be sterner tests to come, starting with free-scoring Germany on Thursday. On this form and performance, the midfield and defence pick themselves, as do Awoniyi upfront and the hardworking Saviour Godwin. That leaves one spot, most vital to the team’s transition from defence to attack.

Bulbwa is full of running and has twinkle-toes, but his game lacks the required intelligence, much as his feet lack a decisive final ball. Perhaps it is time to unleash the Magician from Manchester and let his left wand beguile rather than bludgeon.

GOAL.COM[/b]

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by icon4ss: 8:13am On Jun 08, 2015
kannymoore:

I entered "ghostmode" today for a reason. Ive been bedridden for the better part of the day. However, it still didn't stop me from crawling out of the bed to watch the match.

The match was an absolute borefest with almost nothing to play for since both countries had already qualified for the next round.

That said, I will not hesitate to commend awoniyi for his brilliantly taken two goals. Dunno which to rate higher though a standing ovation must be given for what should be termed "the assist of the tournament" in the long throw by enaholo which resulted in the 2nd goal. That throw should be the longest throw I've ever seen in my over twenty-someting years of football viewing, that has resulted in a goal!

That said, I didn't enjoy the match at all (neither have I enjoyed the previous two matches either, save for the first half performance against Brazil) and if the flying eagles do not step up their gameplay a couple of notches higher than they've been showing since the beginning of this tournament, they MIGHT NOT beat Germany!

I'm not really picking bones with the players themselves but with the coaching staff. Why have we started with this new taactic of spraying 4-5 inconsequential passes among the backline and midfield pivots and the hoof the ball in the air towards the striker?!

I noticed this a lot during the African Championship but I thought its could be maybe due to lack of adequate camping time and that by the time the worldcup started, all the kinks would have been ironed out.

I hope..*hmmm!!*...I just hope that this "new" playing pattern is just a sham so as to decieve our opponents in the later stages of the tourney of our tactical vulnerability until we show them our real hand thereby tearing their match-strategies into shreds.

Anyway.. until the next game against germany!... lemme still have hope and belief in our boys!

Fly Nigeria!!

Get well soon bro. Safarigirl missed u grin

I have also noticed those 4-5 backline/midfield passes since d AYC. Any team dat knows how press up front would capitalise on any loose balls and purnish us. That was what CIV did in our final grp game at d AYC. And dat was what led to Brazil's first goal.

I have still nt seen a midfielder in the mode of Mikel of U20 That can set up attackers from d midfield. If we had dat kind of player by now a player like Awoniyi would have become a Super star bc he capitalises on long passes.

Against Germany we should as much as possible avoid misplaced passes as they typically purnishe teams dat are nt co-ordinated. With 2 mistakes u are 2 goals down within 10mins and d rest would b history.

Modes pls unban my original username o: icon4s.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 8:18am On Jun 08, 2015
@kannymoore , get well soon brother !

You really need to understand the Manus philosophy , he doesn't really need an holding midfielder in his style of play , sometimes he sees them as ball joggler ,all he want his a good passer , who can give beautiful passes to his team mates, one of the reason he prefers Awoniyi over others is because of his brilliant passes apart from his scoring ability . One of our midfielders that got injured would have been the best option in that role of an holding midfielder that can dictate the pace of the game ,but so unfortunate he was left out of the competition due to injury .iheanacho would have done well in that role , but now he's more or less a striker ,Sokari is our best option he needs to up his game and distribute more dangerous passes . If Manu plays iheanacho and simon , we may be attacking from the wings in our next game , and this will also help the midfielders to express themselves well when they have the opportunity .
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:33am On Jun 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Jean Carlos finds feet in reshaped Brazil[/size]

“My job was to score,” said Jean Carlos of the instruction he was given as he walked onto the pitch for the second half, the determination to succeed etched on his face. Brazil’s star striker had been forced to watch from the bench as his team-mates were frustrated by Korea DPR’s deep and tightly packed defence for the first 45 minutes, but before long the 19-year-old had a chance to prove his worth. In two remarkable moves, he turned into the opposition’s penalty area, shook off two opposition defenders and fired home his team’s much-needed and ultimately decisive second goal.

Jean Carlos’s introduction after half-time and the change in tactics that accompanied it proved to be the turning point for A Seleção. “The coach said we should form a four-man attacking line and try to push forward with the ball as much as possible,” the Real Madrid player told FIFA.com in the catacombs of the Christchurch Stadium after his side’s 3-0 win. “And he said to me that we should play as if it were futsal: whenever there’s the space to shoot, I should do it. So that’s what I did,” said the youngster. Having helped to ensure that the South American title favourites go into the last 16 with a perfect record, he added with a grin: “You know, I’ve been playing futsal since I was little. I love it!”

The Brazilians are enjoying their stay in New Zealand so far, radiating enthusiasm whenever they step onto the pitch – and it is for exactly this reason that Jean Carlos’s substitute appearance and goal carry such symbolic weight. “For me football is an attacking game,” Rogerio Micale told FIFA.com. “I love technically adept play and offensive moves made up of many short passes, and I’ve been trying to pass that on to my players ever since I became coach.” Despite only taking charge of his young side a few weeks before the start of the tournament, the Brazil U-20 boss can now be confident that his philosophy has taken hold after his team completed the group stage flawlessly.

A Seleção captivated the 15,000 fans watching on Sunday, while their players are also embracing the strategy of always pushing forward, passing the ball around in the final third and waiting for scoring opportunities to appear. “For me as a striker it’s a pleasure to be able to play in a team like this,” emphasised Jean Carlos. “It means we forwards get plenty of chances to score. We’ve said in our discussions with the coach that we’re hoping to be the Brazilian football generation who can return to even more attacking ways.”

Amid all this euphoria, Micale is trying to take things step by step. “Brazil are considered title contenders whenever they play at a tournament,” he said. “And yes, based on our matches so far I think we can dream about winning the trophy – but that’s all. The competition has now entered a phase where every mistake is mercilessly punished, so we’d be well advised to take things one game at a time,” the coach explained. His team now face Uruguay in the last 16 this Thursday, and Micale is excited at the prospect, saying, “That’ll be a real derby!”

Jean Carlos, who plays on the wing for Madrid and has only featured for the club’s U-19 side so far, is already looking forward to being granted licence “to shoot” again next time around. With the latest crop of Brazilians bursting with ideas and enthusiasm, Uruguay cannot say they have not been warned...

FIFA.COM [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by samueld0(m): 8:50am On Jun 08, 2015
Who is leading the goal chart for now?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 9:39am On Jun 08, 2015
samueld0:
Who is leading the goal chart for now?

Highest goal scorer so far is from Ukraine with 5goals .
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by chaberry(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2015
ajf:

You see, I'm tired of this. You think matches are won by bravery? Because you think winning Germany is the only possible outcome for these boys on thursday doesn't mean you are a better fan. Why? It's because that is wrong. The better your opponent, the higher the probability of you losing no matter how good you are. Unless you are naive, you'll have to agree with me that that probability of this team beating Serbia is higher than them beating Germany. So, as a great fan of this team who wants them to win the cup and not just play bravely and crash out, I believe playing Germany in the semi-final or final is better than playing them in the round of 16. Everybody remembers the team that finishes 1st, 2nd or third, nobody remembers the team they beat to get there.
I know this team is very good. I believe they can beat Germany but I also know there is a possibility of them losing even if it's a small one. I love this team so much I don't want them to face such possibility this early in the knock-out stage. Heck! I may even love this team more than you do!
This is exactly what i have been telling many people, it's not about cowardice but possibility of winning a game

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 10:57am On Jun 08, 2015
kannymoore:

Fly Nigeria!!

@first point. I'm really sorry, hope it's nothing serious. I missed you when I was shakiti bobo-ing to Awoniyi's goals wink....get well soon.

2. Thanks for the commendation, we appreciate cheesy. We promise to do more as the tournament progresses. Hopefully, we'll get that chance

3. Yes, that assist was something. Had to download the highlights and I re-watched the goal and the assist repeatedly, both were brilliant. I much prefer the build-up to the second goal. I think that's the first goalie assist i've seen. Enaholo should have more throws like that, then we won't have to worry about a fairly incompetent midfield grin

Concerning the rest of your write-up, I can't particularly contribute because I have been unable to watch their matches from the AYC till now, save for the AYC finals. I do agree that I did not enjoy that style of play at the finals and if it's the same now, then they really do need to buckle up.

I saw a glimpse of Moses Simon in the highlights where he gave a particularly lovely dribble and I do hope Manu will start him against Germany, he seems an absolute delight to watch.

Idowu should remain as he seems to be the anchor of the midfield for now. We have failed to concede in any game he has played and that's encouraging. Nwobodo is the missing player here and that injury he got in the finale is currently dealing with the team.

A 4-3-3 formation of Enaholo...............Musa...Ndidi...Bello...Mustapha...........Idowu...Ifeanyi...Nwakali(yes, Nwakali)......Moses...Success...Iheanacho

Should be used against Germany IMO, Awoniyi should rest his sore feet for the first half and most of the second. We wouldn't want my baby to break down grin

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 11:05am On Jun 08, 2015
Hmmm...break down. He is a work horse. he has good engine.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by robosky02(m): 11:06am On Jun 08, 2015
safarigirl:
@first point. I'm really sorry, hope it's nothing serious. I missed you when I was shakiti bobo-ing to Awoniyi's goals wink....get well soon.

2. Thanks for the commendation, we appreciate cheesy. We promise to do more as the tournament progresses. Hopefully, we'll get that chance

3. Yes, that assist was something. Had to download the highlights and I re-watched the goal and the assist repeatedly, both were brilliant. I much prefer the build-up to the second goal. I think that's the first goalie assist i've seen. Enaholo should have more throws like that, then we won't have to worry about a fairly incompetent midfield grin

Concerning the rest of your write-up, I can't particularly contribute because I have been unable to watch their matches from the AYC till now, save for the AYC finals. I do agree that I did not enjoy that style of play at the finals and if it's the same now, then they really do need to buckle up.

I saw a glimpse of Moses Simon in the highlights where he gave a particularly lovely dribble and I do hope Manu will start him against Germany, he seems an absolute delight to watch.

Idowu should remain as he seems to be the anchor of the midfield for now. We have failed to concede in any game he has played and that's encouraging. Nwobodo is the missing player here and that injury he got in the finale is currently dealing with the team.

A 4-3-3 formation of Enaholo...............Musa...Ndidi...Bello...Mustapha...........Idowu...Ifeanyi...Nwakali(yes, Nwakali)......Moses...Success...Iheanacho

Should be used against Germany IMO, Awoniyi should rest his sore feet for the first half and most of the second. We wouldn't want my baby to break down grin

Awoniyi should rest his sore feet for the first half and most of the second. We wouldn't want my baby to break down
abeg that is the game of the tuonament he must be all out to play no dolling if naija must go forward
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:12am On Jun 08, 2015
robosky02:

Awoniyi should rest his sore feet for the first half and most of the second. We wouldn't want my baby to break down
abeg that is the game of the tuonament he must be all out to play no dolling if naija must go forward
abeg, no be only am waka come.

Afterall, my senior colleagues here have constantly rated Success higher, so let Success start this time. There should be a combo of those who started against Brazil and those who started in the last 2 games for proper attacking and defending balance
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:16am On Jun 08, 2015
zoboizee:
Hmmm...break down. He is a work horse. he has good engine.
so now y'all want him to play every game, mgbo?

Before, na so so "Success should start...Success should start" na im pesin dey here
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by robosky02(m): 11:29am On Jun 08, 2015
safarigirl:
abeg, no be only am waka come.

Afterall, my senior colleagues here have constantly rated Success higher, so let Success start this time. There should be a combo of those who started against Brazil and those who started in the last 2 games for proper attacking and defending balance

you protect him more why?

and by the way what do you make of the clash

nigeria vs Germany

would you have preferd we avoid them now
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Jun 08, 2015
[b]Superb article and it touched the most important points. I believe our boys will perform better than they did against the Hungarians. The Super Flying Eagles are gaining confidence. Avoiding Germany would have spelled doom for the team. The loss to Brazil shattered the confidence of the team. This team came into the tournament with the zeal to crush any opposition that came their way. Unfortunately, Brazil smashed their confidence.

The win against Korea was not convincing to show this team has what it takes to go all the way to the finals and lift the trophy. The win against Hungary instilled confidence and showed they are no more scared of any opposition. Playing Serbia with no confidence would not help them.

Coach Manu and his crew will most likely stick to his winning squad but they have to prepare to make swift changes if things are not going according to plan. Another Challenge is we have four attacking Super subs in Yahaya, Success, Nacho and Moses. With only three changes available, the crew must make accurate changes. Strictly on technical grounds.

The Germans will know where to hurt us, they are ahead of the world technically when it comes to reading games after their technological strides shown in the last World Cup. There is no room for sloppiness and laziness from the team. They must stick together at all times.

No room for errors and Enaholo should not be acrobatic or theatric in this coming game.

FLY EAGLES FLY.
[/b]

joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles find the direct route in victory against Hungary[/size]

Perhaps it was to do with the knowledge that, whatever the result, they would progress beyond the group stage. Then again, perhaps it was simply a function of an unchanged lineup growing into an understanding. In any case, the Flying Eagles produced their best performance of the tournament in victory over Hungary.

The result sets up a date with European champions Germany on the 11th. A draw could have gotten them a potentially more negotiable tie against Serbia, but in a tournament Nigeria started tentatively, a win was of the essence. If for no other reason, as a psychological fillip – beating Serbia may be strategically more cunning, but would leave doubts in the minds of the players as to their capability against the top teams.

Goals either side of half-time from Taiwo Awoniyi did for the Hungarians, and both came from attacking quickly into a channel. For the first, Saviour Godwin was released down the right, and his low cross was turned in at the near-post by the burly no. 18 - his first of the tournament, and no less than he has deserved for his endeavour.

The second was the result of an almighty throw-out by goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo into the left-channel, and perhaps gives an idea why he has kept the more commanding Dele Alampasu out of the side. Never mind his greater agility, the accuracy of his throws are becoming quite the offensive weapon: he launched one to set the team on its way to the second goal in the group opener against Brazil.

Besides providing one more attacking avenue, Enaholo has grown in confidence since the opening game. His decision to juggle a cross in the second period may have drawn gasps from the viewership, but not from the bench - they are well aware of what he is about. He is of the Fabien Barthez school: somewhat undersized for the position, unorthodox and exultant in his otherness, a risk-taker, uber-confident. The yield is high – Barthez won a World Cup and got to another final – but along the way, there will be inevitable gaffes.

In any case, he was never subjected to the same level of exposure as in that opener six days ago. It is a comfort to see the understanding of Zaharadeen Bello and Wilfred Ndidi blossom game-on-game, here they were solid and commanding, keeping runaway tournament topscorer Bence Mervo utterly quiet.

In front of the defence, Akinjide Idowu was splendid, receiving the ball and turning away from pressure in one fluid movement; and dropping between the centre-backs to encourage the full-backs up the pitch. His passing was simple: changing the angle of the attack and, importantly, helping Ndidi get time on the ball to advance the play.

When this happened, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi would move slightly right-of-centre, with Sokari dropping deep left-ish, creating a 3-2 shape. This emptied the no. 10 space for one of the wingers to come in off the line and receive the ball on the turn – ostensibly, this was Bernard Bulbwa’s responsibility. However, he failed to fulfil the role (one which Kelechi Iheanacho understands and flourishes in), forcing Ndidi to try to find Awoniyi over the top.

It did not help also that Ifeanyi is essentially a passenger in build-up, more a decoy than an actual passing option. The team struggled with this in the loss to Brazil. His inability to use the ball intelligently prevented the team from finding Iheanacho between the lines, as the Manchester City man opted to remain high up the pitch.

There remains that underlying sense that Iheanacho is being made to pay for his (relative) success at club level. Having arrived unavoidably late to camp, he can have no complaints: the furniture has moved, and his place at the head of the table has been usurped. What is baffling though is the fact that Manu Garba saw fit to take him to the tournament on the back of little preparation with the team, but has no intention of building the team around him, or of even giving him a run-out where he fits best.

The same can be said for Success Isaac and Moses Simon – all three are potential game-changers, and are on a different technical level to the rest of the team’s attacking options. All three have also been peripheral in New Zealand. Indeed, Simon saw his first minutes as a second half-substitute in Taranaki, Success started the opener in an unfamiliar left-wing role, while Iheanacho got an hour playing a position that does not utilize his strengths.

There will be sterner tests to come, starting with free-scoring Germany on Thursday. On this form and performance, the midfield and defence pick themselves, as do Awoniyi upfront and the hardworking Saviour Godwin. That leaves one spot, most vital to the team’s transition from defence to attack.

Bulbwa is full of running and has twinkle-toes, but his game lacks the required intelligence, much as his feet lack a decisive final ball. Perhaps it is time to unleash the Magician from Manchester and let his left wand beguile rather than bludgeon.

GOAL.COM[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:53am On Jun 08, 2015
robosky02:

you protect him more why?

and by the way what do you make of the clash

nigeria vs Germany

would you have preferd we avoid them now
I protect him more cuz he works so hard and most people just run him down. I just like the dude a lot. Stood out for rmw from U17 and still standing out now.

As per the game. Anywhere God put you, just maintain your status. Nothing happens without divine approval so if we're playing germany now, it's cuz we were supposed to. And the onus is on the team and coaching staff to give the game their all while we support
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:57am On Jun 08, 2015
I love this match up cuz we come in as underdogs less pressure on the boys, plus if we played a lesser team there would have been complacency on our part. My prediction is we win by 2 goals.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:05pm On Jun 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Enaholo's rapid redemption[/size]

On 1 June, Nigeria goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo trudged out of New Plymouth's Stadium Taranaki feeling down in the dumps. His first experience of the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 had been a sobering one, as he picked the ball out of his net no fewer than four times in the 4-2 loss to Brazil. He was not particularly culpable for the first three Canarinho goals, but the MFM FC shot-stopper made an utter mess of the fourth, the one that put the game out of reach. "I wasn't concentrating. The ball was wet and I failed to hold on to it. I have to do better," he subsequently admitted to FIFA.com.

To compound matters, coach Manu Garba did not mince his words in his post-match press conference: "We carved out the better chances in the first half and we should have led at the break. The first 45 minutes reflected what we're capable of. We simply made two mistakes that cost us dearly in the second period, which denied us the three points." There could be little doubt that another slip-up would jeopardise Enaholo's place as the Flying Eagles' No1.

By the end of the week, though, the custodian was all smiles as he left the same venue. Not content with starring in the 4-0 victory over Korea DPR three days after the disappointment against the Seleção, Enaholo pulled off more heroics against Hungary. He did not put a foot – or hand – wrong, beginning as early as the third minute, when he dashed out to thwart Group E top scorer Bence Mervo. Other key contributions included full-length dives to keep out Zsombor Berecz in the 69th and 74th minutes, and one last stop from a Laszlo Olah drive with seven minutes to go.

As if his saves were not enough, Enaholo also set up his side's second goal. His raking throw travelled almost to the edge of the opposition box before being seized on by Taiwo Awoniyi, who finished clinically in order to double Nigeria's lead in the 54th minute. "Obviously I'm pleased. I thank God and my team-mates for this wonderful win, but I want to do even more than I did today. This isn't enough for me," noted the 18-year-old who, accompanied by defender Abdullahi Mustapha, celebrated the strike he had helped create by borrowing Congolese keeper Muteba Kidiaba's now-iconic routine.

German acid test
After the meeting with the Magyars, Nigeria chief Garba stressed how he had encouraged his incumbent between the sticks to shrug off his earlier howler: "Joshua is a really good goalkeeper. He didn't just show it today against Hungary - his performance was equally flawless against Korea DPR. All players make a mistake [at least] once in their careers. Look at the Brazil keeper: he committed exactly the same error in their game against Hungary. This is a point we sought to impress on all the players, but particularly him. And now Joshua is back to his best, to our great delight."

Asked whether he feels that he has redeemed himself, Enaholo was forthcoming: "To some extent, yes. After the Brazil match, I was in a really bad state. I was desperate to make amends. I challenged myself to do better throughout the rest of the competition. What I did against Korea and Hungary is just the beginning," he vowed a few days ahead of what promises to be an extremely testing encounter against Germany. Not only do the Germans have the joint second-best defence in the competition behind Ukraine, having only conceded once, but they are the runaway leading scorers, with an impressive 16 goals from three games.

"They're a good team, but we'll be ready," Enaholo insisted. This message was echoed by Garba: "If we want to be champions, we have to be ready to take on any team. We have the tools to match them." It would be hard to disagree with that assertion, especially if their determined keeper maintains his recent form.

FIFA.COM[/b]

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 12:15pm On Jun 08, 2015
EagleScribes:

Hehehehehe! There are some unrepentant pessimists too. just watch out for them when the next match approaches
shamelessly unrepentant pessimist. they will never see any need to have faith and trust on the boys. yet they come here to comment angry angry
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by ELIJAHARMONICA(m): 12:25pm On Jun 08, 2015
My respect goes to Akinjide Idowu, he never get tired on the pitch, one of the future best defensive midfielders.

Good luck to the flying eagles.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 12:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
tbaba1234:

Mali beat them at the AYC
in their first game at the AYC yes, but ghana roared back to beat mali 3-1 for the 3rd place
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 12:37pm On Jun 08, 2015
safarigirl:
lol @ "we will hook you two up" grin...by fire by force abi?

So Ghana and Mali, any predictions?
i ll give it to Ghana. Nigeria vs Ghana match in the quarters will be explosive. i will like that
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]In Akpoguma Awoniyi set to face his own[/size]

When Nigeria takes on Germany on Thursday in Christchurch it will be a superb clash of high octane football featuring the champions of Europe and Africa and yet there will be at least one defensive battle that may affect the outcome of the game.

Amazingly it will be between two Nigerians though one eats fufu and the other sauerkraut.

You see the German Captain Kevin Akpoguma is of Nigerian ancestry and will be mainly responsible for marking Taiwo Awoniyi the Nigerian danger man who single handedly flattened Hungary in their last encounter.

It will also be a battle of giants as Akpoguma is 1.92 m and Awoniyi 1.80m setting the table for a delicious aerial duel.

Akpoguma (above) who plays for Hoffenheim and has been compared to Bayern’s Boateng has played for Germany at U16, U17, U18 and U19 levels before now, knows that cancelling out Awoniyi will go a long way in preventing the Flying Eagles from advancing.

Meanwhile Awoniyi (below) who once used to be beaten by his Dad for playing football, has come a long way since then. In Senegal at the African Youth Championships he was superb helping lead Nigeria to another African Crown and in turn has been compared to the late great Yekini.

Though he started slowly in New Zealand he has become accustomed to the colder weather and his pace and productivity has increased in each game minute by minute.

There is no doubt regardless of the outcome of the game, that the NFF will be paying particular interest to Akpoguma hoping that he may decide on shoring up the Super Eagles defense alongside the half German Balogun who picked Nigeria over Germany.

So it may very well be that Akpoguma and Awoniyi will be seeing each other again but this time on the same side.

Germany and Nigeria have met twice at the U20 level with both teams winning one game and Nigeria holding the slight edge in goals scored having scored four times as opposed to three from Germany.

SUPERSPORT.COM
[/b]

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 12:44pm On Jun 08, 2015
Daninya11:
In the game against Germany, Manu Garba must seek to address the problem of the team.
He must sort out the problem of lack of balance in the team after the loss to Brazil..
He needs to set his priority right or else he gets bitten down. This is a case of putting the cart before the horse..

I miss this great family of football loving Nigerians.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 12:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
Daninya11:
In the game against Germany, Manu Garba must seek to address the problem of the team.
He must sort out the problem of lack of balance in the team after the loss to Brazil..
He needs to set his priority right or else he gets bitten down. This is a case of putting the cart before the horse..

danni where have u been?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 1:06pm On Jun 08, 2015
ENAHOLO SETS NEW RECORD FOR NIGERIA GOALKEPPERS

Nigeria goalkepper Joshua Enaholo has found his way into the assist chart at the ongoing FIFA under-20 World cup after FIFA confirmed on their site that his long throw that lead to Taiwo Awoniyi second goal counts as an assist.

The Nigeria first choice goal tender officially becomes the first Nigeria goalkepper to pick an assist in FIFA organised tournament when his trademark long throw out from the Nigeria eighteen came off the head of an Hungarian defender trying to clear his lines but the ball dropped kindly for Awoniyi who pounced to score Nigeria's second and his of the game.

FIFA confirmed his record with a statement on their which reads "Although goalkeepers are normally deployed to prevent goals from being scored, Nigerian custodian Joshua Enaholo proved to be an equally effective provider in his side’s match against Hungary.

"Hurling a throw-out well over the halfway line, he caught Hungary’s high defensive line off-guard. His throw landed in the path of Taiwo Awoniyi, who skipped past the sole remaining opponent and slotted the ball home to give Nigeria an unassailable 2-0 lead. Enaholo, having claimed an assist, celebrated exuberantly with his team-mates in true African style.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Sunnypa11(m): 1:06pm On Jun 08, 2015
cool our win against awon hungry people don put us for pakute germani.....With omo Awo,we go do necessary goals ritual by wednesday midnight in new zealand....oro ibeji ati idowu ogbo

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 1:08pm On Jun 08, 2015
peterd53:
m so disappointed wit so..me fans claiming we should have loss ds match. u re talking nonsense
did u knw DAT during Asian youth cup, Uzbekistan were beaten 5-0 by Korea. wat make u tink Germany wu only manage 2 win uzbekistan by 3goal to nil can beat Nigeria DAT trash Korea by 4goal to nil

u can quote me if u wish. ds a prove
Strengths and style
On the surface, coach An Ye Gun's charges are a
typical Korea DPR side, playing with trademark
fighting spirit and soaking up pressure before
hitting teams on the break. They employed a
conservative game plan in the lead-up to the
semi-finals, struggling to live up to their potential
before sealing qualification with a penalty-shootout
victory against Japan. But with the qualifying
mission complete and with the players physically
recovered from their travel fatigue, they emerged a
different side against Uzbekistan, dominating the
semi-final from start to finish as they ran out 5-0
winners.
very good piece, i hope the plastic fans are reading this? kudos to u @peterd
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 1:11pm On Jun 08, 2015
There are always ghostmoders on this thread grin
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 1:11pm On Jun 08, 2015
Daninya11:

danni where have u been?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 1:13pm On Jun 08, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Moses Simon: Time to shine with Flying Eagles coming[/size]

Belgian league champion with KAA Gent this past season, left-sided forward Moses Simon said he is confident he will get his chance with the Flying Eagles at the U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

His late arrival in training camp has meant he has yet to feature in the group games against Brazil and North Korea.

The full interview –

QUESTION: How have you settled down in New Zealand with the Flying Eagles?

Moses Simon: It has been great. I have settled down and trying to adapt to the team, their pace and their style of football. I’m getting there.

Many fans are asking why you are yet to play your first match at the U20 World Cup. Why has it been so?

The fans will always have their opinions and no player wishes to sit on the bench.

So, are you disturbed you have been on the bench?

No, I am not.

So, you are waiting for your time to come.

As long as the team are winning, I will be okay.

This is your second U20 World Cup as you also featured at the 2013 edition in Turkey. How do the two teams compare?

The 2013 team in Turkey were a more matured team. For the present team, there are so many young players.

How far can this present Flying Eagles go in New Zealand?

First of all, we have to win against Hungary. The Hungarians have good tactics but if we could dominate the midfield and keep possession, we will get a good result.

Probably this would be the game you will take your bow at some point.

The coach will be the one to decide that. I am ready because I’m not here to sit on the bench. When I am played, I am ready to play.

You have watched the Flying Eagles first two games against Brazil and North Korea. What are your impressions so far?

We gave away too many balls in the first game even when Brazil were not defending. But in the second game (vs Korea), we possessed the ball, we did not lose many balls, and that was why we dominated the Koreans.

Of this young, but talented team, is there any particular player who has caught your eye?

Godwin Saviour. I heard a little about him before I met him. But in training, he showed he is a good player, but because of his age, I thought maybe the coach will only keep him on the bench. He was on the bench for most of the first game, but in the second half against Korea, he proved many wrong. I am very happy for him.

He is an aggressive forward. He is a kind of player who will succeed in Europe because he is hungry and he scores goals.

For this World Cup, which team have most impressed you?

Ghana have been impressive, it is like they have been together for a long time. They keep possession of the ball very well, they are matured and they play as a team. They can go very far in this tournament. [/b]
yeah u re right bro, Godwin Savior will be the breakaway star of this team, i love his runs, ability to shield the ball, his crosses, his dribbles and tackles, this team is just too full of raw talents. naija is blessed. the land is green
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 1:14pm On Jun 08, 2015
enomakos:
it is partial,the last time i used hearing aids was 11years ago i find them so much uncomfortable,all i was hearing where noise no sound,i listen by reading lips

are u a doctor?how do u know so much?
u wrote it there in ur profile. all is well bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135