Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:47 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (486342 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 10:28am On Jan 24, 2015
Belexy:
Just a quick question: are fully grown pigs dangerous animals? I want to get abt four piglets and let them roam in my compound wt out cages/pen till adulthood and ready for slaughter. This are just for personal/family consumption and not business. Would my family be safe? My compound is quite large.

Yes you can . i also had some of my fatteners on free range some time ago. i know some farmers who do.

Pigs arent dangerous, they are emotional animals and freely.

Ensure you have a nice shade for them to hide when its sunny and clean water.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Immortalz(m): 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2015
Pls how do i deworm without stress? My animals are seriously stubborn when it comes to injecting so i stopped. Also, which dewormer do u think works best? I use Kepromec.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 9:23pm On Jan 24, 2015
pls send me your contact,i will be in oke aro by Monday morning,my no 08028131974,secondly I was using blood meal initially but I was advice to stop using for grown that it make thenm to eat their piglet after birth,also advice balance diet and best feed formula,i have iron,multivetamins inj,can I add it to their feed or inject them.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 9:27pm On Jan 24, 2015
martyns200 your contact pls ASAP.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 9:41pm On Jan 24, 2015
Double post
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 9:41pm On Jan 24, 2015
[quote author=martyns200 post=30077409]Brewery waste is no go area, better source for any of these feeds; cadbury waste, guiness waste, sona waste, nestle waste.any of the listed feed I mentioned should be added to pkc and also d use of wet blood and u can put in your listed compounded alongside to get a balanced diet for ur pigs. Moreso dunno if u deworm ur animals and treat them wit multivitamin, iron and others. Hope this helps

Guiness is a brewery, so is sona (breweries) so the by product from both of them is still brewery waste. The difference between brewery waste and what you have from cadbury or nestle is the percentage of each food component (ie protein, carbs etc). You can't write off brewery waste without knowing the individual's location.
Also, wet blood is dangerous as feed. In some advanced countries, its even illegal. Apart from the risk of contamination, there is also the possibility of it making your animals wild. Blood meal is the safer option.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 9:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
I STOP BLOOD MEAL SINCE I WAS DISCOURAGE TO AVOID MY SOW EAT THEIR PIGLETS AFTER BIRTH
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Belexy(m): 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2015
dejia:

Yes you can . i also had some of my fatteners on free range some time ago. i know some farmers who do.

Pigs arent dangerous, they are emotional animals and freely.

Ensure you have a nice shade for them to hide when its sunny and clean water.

Thank you for this sir.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by martyns200(m): 5:00am On Jan 25, 2015
Here, 08023107057, 08137637902

Eefosa1:
pls send me your contact,i will be in oke aro by Monday morning,my no 08028131974,secondly I was using blood meal initially but I was advice to stop using for grown that it make thenm to eat their piglet after birth,also advice balance diet and best feed formula,i have iron,multivetamins inj,can I add it to their feed or inject them.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by martyns200(m): 5:14am On Jan 25, 2015
Well @okearo where I am, the waste of brewery is from nigerian brewery which is of no good to animals except u add a lot of compounded feed alongside, the other part of brewery which is good is if its d brewery gotten from malt(amstel malta). moreso I know sona, guiness are also brewery since its gotten from beer bt we call them by their names. So anytime u hear brewery being called in okearo, know that its gotten from nigerian brewery and of no good as a bag of feed goes for 100naira while a bag of cadbury, sona or guiness goes for 200naira

[quote author=ops post=30101440][/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Immortalz:

Pls how do i deworm without stress? My animals are seriously stubborn when it comes to injecting so i stopped. Also, which dewormer do u think works best? I use Kepromec.

You can use Ecometin, premix You will add it to the feed.. but from my experience the injection ( Ivomec) remains the most effective of them all.

I will recommend you find out from a vet shop nearest to you,

also, why are your animals stubborn? Most hybrid pigs are genetically modified to be calm..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 10:56am On Jan 29, 2015
it seems every body is busy nothing is happen in this forum,pig farmers let build up this forum .
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by omode2(m): 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
Eefosa1:
it seems every body is busy nothing is happen in this forum,pig farmers let build up this forum .
is piggery time demanding? Compared to other aninal husbandry. Would like to kwn more abt feeding and vaccination to use.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
they need proper care for them to grow well,as for vaccine;main LA,KEPROMETIN FOR DEWORMING,MULTIVITAMINE,IRON I II III ETC TO KNOW MORE CONTACT UR VETINARY

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by EZEUDENE(m): 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
Plz huz am about starting pig farming nxt wk I will need assistance on best breeds, vaccination nd food formulation tanx
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by AreaFada2: 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2015
Eefosa1:
they need proper care for them to grow well,as for vaccine;main LA,KEPROMETIN FOR DEWORMING,MULTIVITAMINE,IRON I II III ETC TO KNOW MORE CONTACT UR VETINARY

Eefosa, is your piggery in Edo or Ogun State?

A friend needs advise about setting up a small scale piggery in Edo State. He's a busy person & is not resident in Edo State.

Edo State pig farmers & other farmers, any advise for an absentee would-be pig farmer?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 7:09pm On Jan 31, 2015
is in ogun state in my compound,working in progress to go into plc.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 7:15pm On Jan 31, 2015
let him follow this forum and he will get deep knowledge of the biz and visit other farms within his location.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 8:13pm On Jan 31, 2015
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 8:15pm On Jan 31, 2015
bloodmeal isnt the cause of your sow eating their piglets read the article above
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Niyoga(m): 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2015
Happy new month my fellow farmers.
Lets keep this trend alive..
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 11:29am On Feb 03, 2015
@eazeefix thanks for the info but blood meal was not mention it only explain sows behavioural character which I observed every day, hireachy etc,i said I stop cos I got to know from others farmers while others dispise the info.my have not started to litters,from article above shows that large white are very aggressive and I am planning to get one,further advice
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fingertips(f): 2:56am On Feb 04, 2015
I just came across this thread and i have spent the last four hours going through it. I have been conducting and intensive research for the past one month and finally interested in starting this business with my mum, we have a plot of land measuring 60 x 120sqm in which we intend to start with 100 piglets. I have some major concerns about the pig pen construction as that seems to be the foundation of getting everything right.

1. What ratio of male to female piglets do i include in the 100?
2. How many pig pen houses will be required to comfortable support theses piglets and their future produce?
3. Where can i find a low cost design or layout of an operational pig pen or any pig farmer willing to share here, showing the following details; floors, roof, materials used, walls, feeding system, water management. i would love to see a practical one already in use.

I will really appreciate if i get a response. Please dearest farmers, keep this thread alive for newbies like us...we need to learn from your wealth of experience.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 11:46am On Feb 04, 2015
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 11:48am On Feb 04, 2015
Get pig pen design here. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mwps_dis/mwps_web/sw_plans.html. Copy the entire URL into your browser

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 1:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
Fingertips:
I just came across this thread and i have spent the last four hours going through it. I have been conducting and intensive research for the past one month and finally interested in starting this business with my mum, we have a plot of land measuring 60 x 120sqm in which we intend to start with 100 piglets. I have some major concerns about the pig pen construction as that seems to be the foundation of getting everything right.
1. What ratio of male to female piglets do i include in the 100?
2. How many pig pen houses will be required to comfortable support theses piglets and their future produce?
3. Where can i find a low cost design or layout of an operational pig pen or any pig farmer willing to share here, showing the following details; floors, roof, materials used, walls, feeding system, water management. i would love to see a practical one already in use.
I will really appreciate if i get a response. Please dearest farmers, keep this thread alive for newbies like us...we need to learn from your wealth of experience.

Fingertips,

I have few advice for you, first, start small!.. 100 pigs to start with is alot. Dont rush it, if you do, you might rush out of the business.

secondly, i think for the size of land you have... i dont think you should stock more than 20sow, except you intend to dispose the waste somewhere else.. you need to look at the waste carefully, . i will recommend you either look for land somewhere else a minmum of 6 plots, or start from there with the intention to move to another site. 1plot for a piggery of the magnitude you are looking at is extremely small.

to answer your questions

1) Ratio: it depends... are you saying 100 sow or 100 pigs? You can work out this way, a boar should mate a maximum of twice a week, it all depends on your program; most farmers dont have programs.. but i will recommend you draw out a program , so that you can mate a few at the same time, for them to litter around the same time and wean around the same time.

2) It is difficult to say.. pig pen depends on size etc.. Lagbaja has given you a weblink for designs.

3) I think the weblink has most of that... my advice on pig pen is... ensure the floor is solid.. i recommend German floor; pig pen is long investment, if you make a cheap pen, you will spend monthly on repairs. You mustnt get the housing wrong, it cost alot of money to build a pig pen.
Pls ensure the floor is solid... else you and the bricklayers will be friends for along time.

Whoever will sell your your breeding stock, can help you, or engage a consultant to help you.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fingertips(f): 2:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
dejia:

Fingertips,

I have few advice for you, first, start small!.. 100 pigs to start with is alot. Dont rush it, if you do, you might rush out of the business.

secondly, i think for the size of land you have... i dont think you should stock more than 20sow, except you intend to dispose the waste somewhere else.. you need to look at the waste carefully, . i will recommend you either look for land somewhere else a minmum of 6 plots, or start from there with the intention to move to another site. 1plot for a piggery of the magnitude you are looking at is extremely small.

to answer your questions

1) Ratio: it depends... are you saying 100 sow or 100 pigs? You can work out this way, a boar should mate a maximum of twice a week, it all depends on your program; most farmers dont have programs.. but i will recommend you draw out a program , so that you can mate a few at the same time, for them to litter around the same time and wean around the same time.

2) It is difficult to say.. pig pen depends on size etc.. Lagbaja has given you a weblink for designs.

3) I think the weblink has most of that... my advice on pig pen is... ensure the floor is solid.. i recommend German floor; pig pen is long investment, if you make a cheap pen, you will spend monthly on repairs. You mustnt get the housing wrong, it cost alot of money to build a pig pen.
Pls ensure the floor is solid... else you and the bricklayers will be friends for along time.

Whoever will sell your your breeding stock, can help you, or engage a consultant to help you.

Many thanks for your advice, will adhere to it. By ratio i meant for the male : female weaners to buy as i intend running a growing to finishing breeding.

lagbaja:
Get pig pen design here. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mwps_dis/mwps_web/sw_plans.html. Copy the entire URL into your browser

Thank you sir. The link has been helpful.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by emmybaba: 9:41pm On Feb 04, 2015
Please who can shed more light on marketing? Do buyers come to you or do you supply buyers at a particular location? From your experience do you find yourselves trying to keep up with demand?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 10:48pm On Feb 04, 2015
emmybaba:
Please who can shed more light on marketing? Do buyers come to you or do you supply buyers at a particular location? From your experience do you find yourselves trying to keep up with demand?

buyers exist!!! they will come to you but u will struggle to meet their demand.
good pricing depends on your location
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Gerrard59(m): 4:08pm On Feb 05, 2015
^^^^^^^

Isn't slatted the best? I plan to start with slatted floor.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 8:46am On Feb 06, 2015
Gerrard59:
^^^^^^^
Isn't slatted the best? I plan to start with slatted floor.

It is the best. It will save you labour and water cost and keep your pigs healthy.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Gerrard59(m): 8:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
lagbaja:

It is the best. It will save you labour and water cost and keep your pigs healthy.

So is it advisable for a beginner? What about the cost? Thanks for your time

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.