Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,371 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (483506 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jimmysho(m): 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
my dearest Lagbaja and Tarqus, am following you guys' explanation in details.

I will soon start my farm though I need to start with at least 50 pigs. Pls don't say too big because that is the requirement before I could access the fund. pls I will need all help. plan establishing in my village in ogun state.

I will love to visit your farms when am ready. I plan to visit IITA too.

I Plan having cassava processing factory too in my village. We intend to produce garri, Lafun, High Quality Cassava Flour and Cassava chips.

is the cassava peals healthy for the animals because I leant some of the peals component is poisonous?

Is it necessary to feed them with grass and wont it be cumbersome owing to the farm size which implies we will have over 500 animals in 1 year?

Thank you.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 7:36pm On Jul 05, 2014
@Lagbaja; I'v
lagbaja: Pkc has between 14 and 19% crude protein. Cassava has 2.6% crude protein ( it is primarily the source of energy). They are currently the cheapest and most available of all the feed materials. Pkc is sold at about N23 per kg. we get our cassava at N16 per kg. by modifying the pkc to 60% , cassava 30%, and maintaining blood meal at 6 to 8%, you will achieve close to 17% crude protein in the piglets meal.
You will notice that I have not mentioned brewery waste as my source of feed. The reasons are as follows:
1. Though, they have between 25 to 30% crude protein, they are more expensive than pkc. They are sold wet having up to 60% water content by weight. A truck of 10tons is sold for between N30k and N40k. That makes it N30 per kg. by the time it's dried, you have 50% of what you paid for. Effectively, you are buying at N60 per kg.
2. Supply is inconsistent.
3. Storage can pose a lot of challenge both in terms of labour and logistics.

@Lagbaja; Retail price of dry brewery waste in ibadan is between N11-N15 per kg. I had to confirm earlier 2day because I was surprised when you said whole cassava is cheaper than brewery waste.
Mayb the price is location specific though. I've been using spent grain for years but I had to confirm your analysis.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
That's a good price. Perhaps, it's location specific. It makes sense to buy it dry. Where in Ibadan is it sold ?. Does anyone know if same is available in Lagos?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2014
My farm is off ife-ibadan expressway so I just asked around there.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 11:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
excelsiorfarm: @targus in your construction,guard against this mistake on your farm,pic below
You can still remedy the siuation planting plantain round your pen to cut out the sun
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 12:09am On Jul 06, 2014
lagbaja: We use fresh cassava that we ensile for 4 days. Fibre content of fresh unprocessed cassava is low. Pkc is what provides the required fibre content. Our farm is only about 6 months old. We got our piglet stock from South Africa through a local agent. The breed is camborough from PIC and Oke Aro already weaned. The camborough breed produce lean meat and have an FCR of 2. We got our "about to cross" and gilts from Oke Aro. Almost all our sows are pregnant now. The response to the feed has been fantastic.
Please how much did u get ur about to cross from oke aro? Got 6 from obj farms @ 30k each looking for a pure Duroc boar (grower or weaner) any links? Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Lakeside247(m): 5:46am On Jul 06, 2014
eazeefix:
Please how much did u get ur about to cross from oke aro? Got 6 from obj farms @ 30k each looking for a pure Duroc boar (grower or weaner) any links? Thanks

I have got two pure duroc boar (grower). I might be willing to part with one for you as I have more than required boars in the farm. Infact my farm attendant vehemently refuses me from castrating the two when they were weaners.

Nice thread we've got here. I hope to find more time to contribute here.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 7:16am On Jul 06, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the offer . When u said pure duroc I would want to believe this implies the sow and boar are pure durocs too. Sometime ago someone offered me durocs and I found out they were durocs by colour only. Saw an advert once in punch advertising pure durocs, yorkshire and Hampshire pigs but the phone lines weren't going thru. I am really interested in the boar but I needs to be pure sir.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by JuanDeDios: 12:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
I heard pigs sometimes attack people. Is it true?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 1:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Juan_De_Dios: I heard pigs sometimes attack people. Is it true?
I dont think it's common. But u can prevent that by using a board as u approach them. Use it to guide against ur legs.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
eazeefix:

I got them for N15k each. They were large white breeds
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
eazeefix:
You can still remedy the siuation planting plantain round your pen to cut out the sun
you can try saving d mistake by planting around your pen house,aside d fear of creating habitat for would be predators/enemies,it is wise for free-flow of air through d pens to reduce ammonia gas buildup in pens(this can be reduce under strict hygienic practice)

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Juan_De_Dios: I heard pigs sometimes attack people. Is it true?
very rare,but isolated cases do occur
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by djdoxxx(m): 9:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
I love yew guys...I jes read through ur posts....and I reaaly appreciate what yew guys av pulled up here....I also wanna venture back into piggery,I started at a point last year,but I stopped considering some reasons,already with d mindset to continue,u guys av boosted my moral on this;and God's willing I should start before the year runs to an end..... I will be glad to teach interested and determined people how to rear quail birds....the seminar is free for all,so we can promote agriculture as this is the best and quickest way to empower our youths and job seeking graduates.....other farm exploits are rearing of pigs,snails,bullets,turkeys,layers,broilers,etc....but as youths;it is cool to start small and easy so you safe yourself the risk of having hypertension....I worked in the obasanjo's farm and I know exactly what I'm saying....u can reach me on 08169552020 or djdox_anthony@yahoo.com....let's just talk business and progress...We on our own should empower ourselves and stop waiting for the government to do so...I started farm business in a sitting room;where I reared quail birds and today I can boast of having a 4plots of land where I combine rearing of other livestocks within a year....this is just to encourage you guys that you should not underestimate the power of AGRICULTURE...I recently created a page on facebook so peeps can like and get updated,www.facebook.com/princedoxxfarmsLTD; I shall also be posting on here frequently....cheers

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by c0ogumo(m): 11:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
For Sale!

250W Renogy Solar Panel 25 Year Warranty (From USA)
Coteck SK1500-224 1500 Watt 24Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
Solar Water Pump

molley4real@hotmail.com
BB PIN: 79DD915D

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:50am On Jul 07, 2014
lagbaja:
U̶̲̥̅̊ r so much doing great on the thread plzz, I would love to contact U̶̲̥̅̊ for. My mail adafin44@gmaildotcom or plz U̶̲̥̅̊ can drop Ūя̲̅ mail or send ♏ε a mail to talk with u
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 7:33am On Jul 07, 2014
My email address is lajirots@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 8:28am On Jul 07, 2014
I have learnt a lot from this thread.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 12:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
lagbaja:
@ lagbaja; That seems pretty cheap. Ready to cross gilts are usually sold @ a premium. N15,000 divided by N300/kg is 50kg. How big was your. "About to cross"large white? I usually cross from 90kg above or am I waiting too long?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by emmyvet(m): 12:37pm On Jul 07, 2014
Thumbs up to Lagbaja, Tarqus, ops, excelsiorfarm and all who having been contributing to this trend!
It seems like you all having been talking or considering the feeding, breeding and cost of management.

Please I would like you guys to talk a bit on;
1. the construction of the pen for easy cleaning,
2. The labor needed in the farm managements(most especially on the sanitation.
3. Control of the stench that normally comes from pig farm.

I asked the above questions because I have a friend who had a pig farm but faced the problem of cleaning the farm ( I don't know if is from the construction of the farm because the urine and waste will always scatter all around the room waiting for the laborer to come and carry it all).
I would Like to know if we have a modern way of construction of the pen for easy sanitation..

A big thanks to each and every one of you for your time in helping the newbie in pig farming.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 2:26pm On Jul 07, 2014
@Emmyvet;
We all learn more each dey o bros. Lemme chip in abit sha
. Easy cleaning is done using ur gutter provided @ construction. You flush all waste into it and it flows to d next pen where d process is repeated.
Outside d pen, there are different options.som1 mentioned a biodigester for making biogas. Or u can use it as manure for crops (if u av). If not, just try and spread as thinly as possíble on the ground. Aerobic decomposition doesn't produce much odour. The pungent smell comes when the air doesn't reach the dung & that occurs when its heaped.
As per labour needed, it depends on u the scale of ur operations. Just work out how long it takes to clean each pen then decide on how many people u need to function efficiently.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
emmyvet: Thumbs up to Lagbaja, Tarqus, ops, excelsiorfarm and all who having been contributing to this trend!
It seems like you all having been talking or considering the feeding, breeding and cost of management.
Please I would like you guys to talk a bit on;
1. the construction of the pen for easy cleaning,
2. The labor needed in the farm managements(most especially on the sanitation.
3. Control of the stench that normally comes from pig farm.
I asked the above questions because I have a friend who had a pig farm but faced the problem of cleaning the farm ( I don't know if is from the construction of the farm because the urine and waste will always scatter all around the room waiting for the laborer to come and carry it all).
I would Like to know if we have a modern way of construction of the pen for easy sanitation..
A big thanks to each and every one of you for your time in helping the newbie in pig farming!

The most effective and modern solution is to have a slatted floor (see picture below). However, since that is not available locally, the alternative is to have an over head shower which will wash the floor into the gutter otherwise called manure allay provided within the pen.

The overhead shower also helps to cool the body of the pigs.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by emmyvet(m): 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2014
ops: @Emmyvet;
We all learn more each dey o bros. Lemme chip in abit sha
. Easy cleaning is done using ur gutter provided @ construction. You flush all waste into it and it flows to d next pen where d process is repeated.
Outside d pen, there are different options.som1 mentioned a biodigester for making biogas. Or u can use it as manure for crops (if u av). If not, just try and spread as thinly as possíble on the ground. Aerobic decomposition doesn't produce much odour. The pungent smell comes when the air doesn't reach the dung & that occurs when its heaped.
As per labour needed, it depends on u the scale of ur operations. Just work out how long it takes to clean each pen then decide on how many people u need to function efficiently.

Thank you for your reply.
The problem he had was this gutter right from construction.

I am thinking of starting in a small scale with 5 females and 15male.
Once again thanks for your reply
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by emmyvet(m): 8:24pm On Jul 07, 2014
lagbaja:
The most effective solution is to have a slated floor. However, since that is not available locally, the alternative is to have an over head shower which will wash the floor into the gutter otherwise called manure allay provided within the pen.

The overhead shower also helps to cool the body of the pigs.
Thank you for the reply.
Please with the overhead shower, will I still get the feaces to convert them to maggots for catfish?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2014
emmyvet:
Thank you for the reply!
Please with the overhead shower, will I still get the feaces to convert them to maggots for catfish?

Yes, you will. Channel the manure into an open soak away pit from which you can harvest your maggots.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tosingcfr(m): 10:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
ayodejy05:
Marketing is not a problem. It's about planning and location. If you are in Akure, Ondo state; there are enough market.
. Please I'm in Ado. Although I haven't started the business yet because I'm also confused about how to go about the marketing. Kindly throw more light on the marketing please. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by emmyvet(m): 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
lagbaja:

Yes, you will. Channel the manure into an open soak away pit from which you can harvest your maggots.
Thanks!
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by TOLUWAYEMI(m): 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Lagbaja, can you possibly replace cassava with maize or wheat and what's the feed ration for feeds at various stages?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 10:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
TOLUWAYEMI: @Lagbaja, can you possibly replace cassava with maize or wheat and what's the feed ration for feeds at various stages?

Yes you can replace cassava with maize or wheat. My advice is that you learn the pearsons's square formula. With that, you can use available feeds within your environment to achieve cost effective formulation with the desired crude protein and metabolic energy requirements for your pigs.

Here is a link:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/01618.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 4:55am On Jul 09, 2014
jimmysho: my dearest Lagbaja and Tarqus, am following you guys' explanation in details.
I will soon start my farm though I need to start with at least 50 pigs. Pls don't say too big because that is the requirement before I could access the fund. pls I will need all help. plan establishing in my village in ogun state.
I will love to visit your farms when am ready. I plan to visit IITA too.
I Plan having cassava processing factory too in my village. We intend to produce garri, Lafun, High Quality Cassava Flour and Cassava chips.
is the cassava peals healthy for the animals because I leant some of the peals component is poisonous?
Is it necessary to feed them with grass and wont it be cumbersome owing to the farm size which implies we will have over 500 animals in 1 year?
Thank you.

@jimmysho, cassava peel is healthy for pigs so long as you allow it to dry or ensile it in a bag for about 4 days. The drying or ensilement reduces the cynanide concentration thereby making it palatable for the pigs. Note however that cassava is very low in protein, it has only about 2.6% protein whereas your growing pigs requires about 14% crude protein. Primary, it is used as a source of energy and complemented by other higher protein sources such as pkc, soya bean meal, blood meal, fish meal etc. you can feed your pigs dehydrated cassava leaves and other less fibrous vegetable leaves such as lettuce, Amaranthus, cabbage etc but grass is not a good option. Cassava leaves contains about 21% crude protein.see the following link for further details.

http://www.fao.org/livestock/agap/frg/AHPP95/95-111.pdf

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd13/5/akin135.htm

Grass is very high in cellulose (crude fibre) . Pigs are mono gastric animals, their digestive track are different from those of ruminant animals such as cows, goats which are able to digest the cellulose in grass.

5 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by eazeefix: 5:31am On Jul 09, 2014
My farm

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by koolsammie(m): 6:44am On Jul 09, 2014
eazeefix: My farm
Where did u get dis breed from?
Does anyone know where obasanjo piggery the farm is in ibadan?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.