Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,307 members, 7,850,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:28 PM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (486132 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dhejaavu: 7:09am On Dec 11, 2015
[Anyone with a Pig farm in Ibadan where I can train?]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dhejaavu: 7:19am On Dec 11, 2015
Hello everyone,
I am trying to set up a pig farm in Ibadan but looking for a farmer where I can have practical training in Ibadan. Can anyone help ?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 8:08am On Dec 11, 2015
dhejaavu:
Hello everyone,
I am trying to set up a pig farm in Ibadan but looking for a farmer where I can have practical training in Ibadan. Can anyone help ?

If you can come to Ota, we will show you the way.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by muyiroro: 8:30am On Dec 11, 2015
femu:

Pls oo, I also need a place where I can be train, I will appreciate if you can drop your contact at for me . Here is my email : muyiroro@yahoo.com, mobile no: 08144015058. I live in Alagbado . Thanks God bless.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
dhejaavu:
Hello everyone,

Hi. I'm in ibadan but I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "train". You can send me a pm though, I'll be glad to help anyway I can.
Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Immortalz(m): 11:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
femu:

permit me to ask, this showing of way, does it attract any financial obligation? If yes, what's the price? Also is it a group training, seminar or a one-on-one thing? Sorry to bother u with these questions, i reside close to ota and sincerely crave to know more.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FRANCOXAV(m): 11:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hello great and undaunted FARMERS

Please I am from Anambra State but I wanna get a good breeding line for my newly built piggery. I have heard of WAGON and others.

Which is the best and how do I source it. I need help.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:09am On Dec 12, 2015
Immortalz:

permit me to ask, this showing of way, does it attract any financial obligation? If yes, what's the price? Also is it a group training, seminar or a one-on-one thing? Sorry to bother u with these questions, i reside close to ota and sincerely crave to know more.

Its a one-on-one training for about 2-3 days on the farm. It covers production practices and pig farm biz economics. we charge a little fee for the knowledge transfer and mentoring continues after the program forever
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dhejaavu: 9:27am On Dec 12, 2015
[Hi, am just looking for an already established farm where I can learn the rudiments of pig rearing.Kindly send your phone number ]

Hi. I'm in ibadan but I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "train". You can send me a pm though, I'll be glad to help anyway I can.
Cheers. [/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dhejaavu: 9:30am On Dec 12, 2015
[Like how much exactly.And coming from Ibadan will I have accommodation?]

Its a one-on-one training for about 2-3 days on the farm. It covers production practices and pig farm biz economics. we charge a little fee for the knowledge transfer and mentoring continues after the program forever [/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by condi1704(m): 11:23am On Dec 13, 2015
Pls what feed or drug can make weaners grow faster and fatter. pls give the breakdown of the component. I have like 30 weaners to feed. Pls help seriously. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Immortalz(m): 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2015
femu:

Its a one-on-one training for about 2-3 days on the farm. It covers production practices and pig farm biz economics. we charge a little fee for the knowledge transfer and mentoring continues after the program forever

Thats cool then, i sent you a PM bt you haven't reply.
Do you care to share the price tag attached to the training?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 3:16pm On Dec 13, 2015
Immortalz:

Thats cool then, i sent you a PM bt you haven't reply.
Do you care to share the price tag attached to the training?

send me an email:
femu_2001@yahoo.com

or call/WhatsApp: 08034209301.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 3:51pm On Dec 13, 2015
dhejaavu:
[Like how much exactly.And coming from Ibadan will I have accommodation?]

very affordable accommodation is available in the neighbourhood, alternatively it's just about 25 mins to Lagos
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by condi1704(m): 7:07pm On Dec 13, 2015
Pls what feed or drug can make weaners grow faster and fatter. pls give the breakdown of the component. I have like 30 weaners to feed. Pls help seriously. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dhejaavu: 8:58am On Dec 14, 2015
[So how much is the training.]

very affordable accommodation is available in the neighbourhood, alternatively it's just about 25 mins to Lagos[/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2015
Great and noble pig farmers.

It's time we protect and project our pig farming business in a competitive way.

Pork consumption continues to be stigmatised and pig farming is still ignored from many government agricultural intervention programs.

For how long we go dey do siddon look.

In Accra, Ghana a kilo of liveweight is 12 cedis which is about 600 naira.

Even though we had little increment this year, the devaluation of Naira has rubbished the gains.

It's time we advocate and increase awareness for pork consumption!

effectively tapping into our 200million population can make we Pig farmers overnight billionaires.

I have created a Facebook group "Pork Advocates" for us to improve public perception about pigs and pork consumption.

Its a group that is welcome to  anyone that is sympathetic to Pigs and Pork consumption.

The group isn't about Pig production so whatever your practices you are welcome as long as you will project pigs positively.

The group will be biased towards pork consumption, processing, preservation and biosecurity

If you are a chef or pork eater you are also welcome. Recipes will be showcased.

Let's lift ourselves up!!!!!!!

join "Pork Advocates" on Facebook.

https://www./138998689802089/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by olatunjin(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2015
Olatunjee Cakes & Confectionery Is a training School on Cakes where will bring out the best in our students

Become your own boss within a short period of time.

Note-strictly practical all through your training period

For all type of cakes,,,wedding cakes,birthday cakes,anniversary cakes
It is not only about the good design only it is also be able to deliver a good yummy cakes to our esteemed client.

Contact us now
OLATUNJEE CAKES$ CONFECTIONERY
☎08038565632
☎08080767394
FB-Olatunjee Cakes
Instagram-Olatunjee Cakes
Twitter-Olatunjee Cakes

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by omode2(m): 7:04pm On Dec 18, 2015
femu:
Great and noble pig farmers.

It's time we protect and project our pig farming business in a competitive way.

Pork consumption continues to be stigmatised and pig farming is still ignored from many government agricultural intervention programs.

For how long we go dey do siddon look.

In Accra, Ghana a kilo of liveweight is 12 cedis which is about 600 naira.

Even though we had little increment this year, the devaluation of Naira has rubbished the gains.

It's time we advocate and increase awareness for pork consumption!

effectively tapping into our 200million population can make we Pig farmers overnight billionaires.

I have created a Facebook group "Pork Advocates" for us to improve public perception about pigs and pork consumption.

Its a group that is welcome to  anyone that is sympathetic to Pigs and Pork consumption.

The group isn't about Pig production so whatever your practices you are welcome as long as you will project pigs positively.

The group will be biased towards pork consumption, processing, preservation and biosecurity

If you are a chef or pork eater you are also welcome. Recipes will be showcased.

Let's lift ourselves up!!!!!!!

join "Pork Advocates" on Facebook.
at side religious beliefs many do not consume pork due to hygiene issues bt when many saw d neetness of modern pigs rearing they became interested. Even yours truely.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2015
omode2:
at side religious beliefs many do not consume pork due to hygiene issues bt when many saw d neetness of modern pigs rearing they became interested. Even yours truely.

If we pig farmers cooperate we can change the narrative.

a lot of Arabs eat bacon when they go to England, they love it!!!

now 1kg of liveweight =1 USD which is too poor.

we need to brand pork positively.

Join "Pork Advocates" on Facebook so that we can together rejoice!!!

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 9:19pm On Dec 18, 2015
@ femu
While I'm not against your facebook campaign, I think equating the price of 1kg pork to $1 is a little flawed.
I'm not saying the pricing can't be better but you should be looking at the REAL value of the price (N280-N300) as against dollar value; some economists are actually asking for devaluation of the naira which indeed has its advantages (e.g nigerian pork will actually be cheaper in the international market so it can be an export item once safety standards are met).

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2015
ops:
@ femu
While I'm not against your facebook campaign, I think equating the price of 1kg pork to $1 is a little flawed.
I'm not saying the pricing can't be better but you should be looking at the REAL value of the price (N280-N300) as against dollar value; some economists are actually asking for devaluation of the naira which indeed has its advantages (e.g nigerian pork will actually be cheaper in the international market so it can be an export item once safety standards are met).

Our pork is very cheap compared to Ghana sef, in Accra liveweight is 12cedis(600 naira) even though we have maize prices at the same rates with Ghana.

Most of the modern production and processing accessories we need in our industry are all imported.

At the current rate, how many of us can afford to use Maize, soya and fishmeal which will make pigs grow faster?

As a farmer I shouldn't be at a disadvantage profession wise, i should be able to take vacation abroad and train my kids wherever i want.

We don't need to export when we have a population of 200m. The best economies in the world thrive because they have a high rate of domestic consumption of their locally produced products.
Exporting meat isn't an easy venture because of health standards.

Also catfish, chicken and beef all command higher prices than pork in the market.
We shouldn't remain at the lower end of the game.

Let's join hands!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by funso111: 12:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
lagbaja:
I am into pig farming. Pig farming is one of the most lucrative arms of animal farming. Pigs are highly prolific, giving birth to an average of 10 piglets per farrow. Typically a pig farrows 2.5 times in a year. So in a year, a pig can give birth to about 25 piglets.

The biggest variable cost component in pig farming is feed cost. It accounts for about 70% of the total cost. Your ability to source your feed in a manner that is most cost effective is your success determinant. Typically, pigs have FCR in the range between 2 and 4 depending on the breed and on the feed formulation. FCR means feed conversion ratio. It is a measure of how much kg of feed an animal will eat to produce 1kg of live weight.

This the is formula I adopt for my pigs (Modified for Amino Acid Balancing)

50% of cassava ( I buy them Fresh, break them into chips, dry and store them)
30% pkc
10% GNC( groundnut meal) or SBM (soyabean meal)
6% blood meal
2.5%. Oyster shell/bone meal/ lime stone
0.25% lysine
0.25% methionine
0.5% salt
0.25% premix
0.03% (3g per 1kg bakers Yeast) ( probiotic)
0.1% H-Plus from Animalcare

The above feed formulation will cost you about N30 per kilo. 1kg of live pig is sold for between N280 and N300. If your pig consumes 3kg of feed to give 1 kg of meat, It means that it will cost you N90 to produce 1kg of live weight. Therefore you make a gross margin of N300 - N90= N210.

The other component of pig farming that is capital intensive is their housing. Pig housing has to be properly planed according to the number of pigs you intend to grow. You need to decide whether you want to do batch (all in all out) or continuos pig production (first in first out).

The biggest pig farm in west Africa is at oke aro , Agege. Another one is at Gberigbe Ikorodu. Accomodation costs at this locations are very high. I will advice you to site your pig pen close to where you can get cheap land and source raw materials at low price. Eg cassava plantations.

Technology application will greatly hep you in your pig farming. Fr example using, pig ni.ppl.es (see picture below) will ensure that you deliver constant and clean water to your pigs , it will also reduce labor requirements. You also need to construct a manure allay within your pig house so that when they poo poo, you can flush it away via the manure allay ( the manure allay is like a gutter). Pls can I get yr number

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fvine: 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
hello everyone, am in Lagos Looking for where I can buy pork meat and products like bacon regularly, I cant seem to find it in stores around me. Please help with contact details for any location in Lagos. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:02pm On Dec 19, 2015
Fvine:
hello everyone, am in Lagos Looking for where I can buy pork meat and products like bacon regularly, I cant seem to find it in stores around me. Please help with contact details for any location in Lagos. Thanks
once u reach iju ishaga take bus going to oke aro wen u reach there take 50bike to pig farm u will get more than enough

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 4:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
Fvine:

You can find Bacon in some major supermarkets and malls all over lagos.

Fresh Pork is available at all major busstops in Lagos.

You can also buy at Okearo and Lagos Abbatoir

Follow "Pork Advocates" on Facebook for more porky updates

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 8:31pm On Dec 19, 2015
femu:

Our pork is very cheap compared to Ghana sef, in Accra liveweight is 12cedis(600 naira) even though we have maize prices at the same rates with Ghana.
Most of the modern production and processing accessories we need in our industry are all imported.
At the current rate, how many of us can afford to use Maize, soya and fishmeal which will make pigs grow faster?
As a farmer I shouldn't be at a disadvantage profession wise, i should be able to take vacation abroad and train my kids wherever i want.
We don't need to export when we have a population of 200m. The best economies in the world thrive because they have a high rate of domestic consumption of their locally produced products.
Exporting meat isn't an easy venture because of health standards.
Also catfish, chicken and beef all command higher prices than pork in the market.
We shouldn't remain at the lower end of the game.
Let's join hands!!!!

I agree, we all should be able to afford the good things of life. I only mentioned the export potential as a factor of the exchange rate, I'm fully aware of the stringent export requirements.
Anyway, my thoughts are more of economics which isn't the scope of this thread.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by awolu18: 2:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Guyz, thanks for wounderful lectures am about to venture into this piggery farming. I will surely take to what hav seen here, hoping to learn more thanks guyz.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 6:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
glowdot4:
Hi great people,

Going thru some post here has given me some vital n basic information I need to start up my farm. I feel at home and not walking alone(not a liverpool fan). Am looking at starting next weekend in a rented pen with 7 animals, 6 breeding female n a male for a start and close to an experience farmer since I do not have prior experience. I hope to recourse to you here,if I encounter any challenge or to seek clarification on areas that hasn't been discussed here. Pls whenever u hear my call, help a sister.

Great farmer,

few months ago I was here to ask for direction as to how I will start my farm. I want to say a very big thank you to the elders in this forum. special thanks to Dejia who took me by hand, coming to my farm,giving me tips and guiding me through. I will be slaughtering some pigs from my farm on the 24th dec,if u are in Ibadan give me a ring to place your order on 08034234538. I will deliver to ur doorstep. let's do this together. yes we can. The sky is big enough to accommodate everyone. This has been demonstrated by the experience hands here. keep it up family. Peace!!!
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by muyiroro: 7:58am On Dec 25, 2015
Merry xmas to all farmers in the house. I saw pen around Ifo ogun state with tiles the pigs are very neat and is easy to clean cos of the tiles . I just want to know the advantages and disadvantages cos am about to start my own pen construction. Thanks

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 10:29am On Dec 25, 2015
muyiroro:
Merry xmas to all farmers in the house. I saw pen around Ifo ogun state with tiles the pigs are very neat and is easy to clean cos of the tiles . I just want to know the advantages and disadvantages cos am about to start my own pen construction. Thanks

Nice looking. Eye candy!

It's difficult to talk about the advantages or disadvantages of a system without experiencing it.
Definitely cleaning will be easier but i would rather use the extra tiling costs to buy more pigs.

Aside the costs, won't it be slippery for grown pigs especially when they want to mate?

Do they do more of breeding or fattening?

A good way to evaluate the system of any farm is no of years they have been operating and years of operating a particular system successfully with good output

4 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by muyiroro: 10:51am On Dec 25, 2015
Thanks for your contribution. I think they do more of fattening, one of the farmer told me no matter how strong the floor of the pen is pig will dig hole in no time . But with tiles they can't dig any hole on the floor and it last longer than concrete floor.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.