Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,075 members, 7,863,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:26 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (487162 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 14, 2016
good morning huse, I av a pig which i gve a woman to hlp me rear but I do gve her money for feeding she also av about 5 pigs my just gve birth to two piglets is it a good start as a first birth
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Don4eva(m): 8:56am On Jan 14, 2016
gabbyalonzo:
good morning huse, I av a pig which i gve a woman to hlp me rear but I do gve her money for feeding she also av about 5 pigs my just gve birth to two piglets is it a good start as a first birth
Naah, two is too small but possible depending on the age and timing of the service
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by loluadeoye: 9:07am On Jan 14, 2016
hello everyone, I'm sourcing for where i can get a weaner piglets or a new born calf around lagos or ogun state...contact me on 08066871290 ,whatsapp 09051060487 asap
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 9:51am On Jan 14, 2016
gabbyalonzo:

For a first time female the litter size/no of piglets can be low or inconsistent, however a lot of my females deliver between 10-12 at the first time.

Factors that can influence litter size/ no of piglets include :

Age of the boar and semen quality

Age/Weight of the female.

Nutritional deficiencies

stress after mating

period of mating.

Female pigs require a lot of pampering to give positive consistent results.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 14, 2016
femu:

For a first time female the litter size/no of piglets can be low or inconsistent, however a lot of my females deliver between 10-12 at the first time.

Factors that can influence litter size/ no of piglets include :

Age of the boar and semen quality

Age/Weight of the female.

Nutritional deficiencies

stress after mating

period of mating.

Female pigs require a lot of pampering to give positive consistent results.
thank you Femu for de information

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by akhis: 7:07pm On Jan 14, 2016
pls can anyone share special feed formular for weaners. Some people suggested mixture of blood with feeds, others say I can add poultry feeds (starter). pls what do you guys feel is the best option for weaners. I have brewery waste and pkc presently.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Don4eva(m): 8:08am On Jan 17, 2016
This babe just farrowed 9 piglets. 1st farrow, I wanted to hug her grin

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Buddhar(m): 3:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
ops:
@Lagbaja; I'v

@Lagbaja; Retail price of dry brewery waste in ibadan is between N11-N15 per kg. I had to confirm earlier 2day because I was surprised when you said whole cassava is cheaper than brewery waste.
Mayb the price is location specific though. I've been using spent grain for years but I had to confirm your analysis.
@ ops I salute
Kindly link me to how and where I can buy Ds brewery waste by d tonnes. Thanks. 07039388167
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by TONY56: 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
[quote author=dejia post=39566278]
Hello Fellow Farmers/ Potential Farmers,

This month ( October) was so fast! i will try and write a few advice for those looking into " our industry".

I promised to write about Management and the Nigerian factor

** Management: uhmm.. like i have written in some of my previous posts, We have 3 major factors to succeed in Piggery, they are

1) The Breed ( Genetics)

2) Feed

3) Management

Management for me is the biggest among the 3 factors, alot of us think Labour is cheap, "why do i have to automate,

Nigeria is a country, where the minimum wage is N18,000; so why do i have to spend so much money on automation? I will

rather employ someone to do the job than spend alot of money ( drinking nipples, slated floors,farrowing crates)"..

Labour in Nigeria is inefficient, unreliable, scarce and one of the biggest challenges most farmers in Africa .

In Nigeria its worse, in my 3years as a pig farmer, i have lost count of how many farm workers i have employed, i have tried, Togolese, Benue, Igbo, Yoruba

Tiv, Nassawa boys etc... Most of them work when you are there, they work when they want to and dont follow instructions.

They also dont come cheap.this is a major factor constraint in our industry. Pigs have specific time they need to be fed, to convert it ultimately

; i love to compare pigs with human beings, what is the point, when instead of you giving a child food 3 times a day,

you put his breakfast and lunch in the microwave and at night, you give him the 3 meals.. will that child be as healthy as

a child given his 3 meals has at when due?

** Skilled Labour: Well, am sorry to say,.. the graduates coming out of Nigerian Universities these days are something else..

I have employed Master degree holders, who will cross their legs and do nothing and cant even keep farm records. some cant use Ms.excel

I have employed a Vet Doctor, who couldnt diffreniate between a castrate Male pig from an uncastrate pig.

You have so many people claiming to be vet doctors who cant inject correctly, who cant read pig behaviours;

There are quacks who claim to be vet doctors. all these are big issues that have to be considered before setting up a piggery..

For alot of farmers or people looking at farming " inabsential " ( you are abroad, and you are looking into having a farm

in nigeria or you are working and want to have it as a side business). This is a big factor that i will recommend

you take time to look carefully.

The Nigerian Factor:

There are stories of farm manager making substandard feed, we have cases of feedmillers cheating the farmer etc.selling unpalatable feed

Most successful farms in Nigeria, now hire expartriates from China, India and SA, not because they know the job better

maybe because they dont understand what is called " Nigerian factor"

I can write a book on Management issues especially on Nigerian factor, i will advice that people going into piggery should

look into ways to reduce it; it is believed you cant eradicate it completely, you can only reduce it.

Also I will advice people looking into piggery to try and automate as many things as they can. Network with

people who have experience, get consultants who have experience to consult for you. You also need to do alot of Research, read books,

there are thousands of materials all over the internet on piggery, some are not applicable in Nigeria, some are relevant while others are not.

*** Farm Record:

Alot of young people ( including myself) are into farming, but most of us are still doing it the old way, the way the

illerates do it, i have visited alot of farms in Nigeria, and they cant tell me, how much feed their pigs eat per day or

how much it cost? Farming is all about " Input and Output" it is pure Mathematics, in Piggery, all we are doing is converting

feed to meat ( for those fattening). You have to know your cost per day, per animal .

farm record keeping is has important has the farm itself

you need to know when your pigs were born, when they are supposed to be weaned, when they attain first heat, etc.

in some countries, they monitor the cycles of their sows to know when they will be on heat.( Secret for having large

number of piglets). You need to either tag each pig or tatoo them, or have a way of identify each of your breeders stock to keep

proper record.

** Digital Scale:

You also need to have a digital scale to weigh you pigs on a regular basis to know if you are making profit or not.

Alot of farmers dont have scales, some have " hanging scales" which i think is " Barbaric " to hang a pig upside down

just to check its weight. Some sell pigs just by the way it looks (lol), this is 2015.. we need to measure correctly.

I will recommend that anyone going into piggery, should ensure that they have a digital scale to weigh their pigs regularly, to know

how to calculate its FCR ( Feed Conversion Ratio) and know if the farm was making money or running at a loss.

I hope i have been able to add another 2kobo to my previous post.

[/quote Deji, where do you know that I can get the Tip Drinkers, Digital scales and other pig farm accessories or equipments to buy at good prices?

TONY56
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 4:23pm On Jan 30, 2016
Hello house. Please i have a few questions.
1, What is an ideal cost per kg for feed? Is N60-N65/kg too expensive?
2, Soyameal vs soyacake?
- Pkm vs pkc ?
-Bdg vs wheat offal
3, is dis composition ideal for growers?
Maize 40%
Pkm or pkc 22.5%
Soyameal 10%
Bdg 15%
Wheat offal 10%
Bonemeal 2%
Methionine 0.025%
Lysine 0.025%
Premix 0.25%
Salt 0.25%.

cc dejia
cc femu
cc lagbaja
cc boluwajokosegun

Thanks.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 4:41pm On Jan 30, 2016
Please o, my dear farmers, what is this called n how is itveffectively treated? Also can a pregnant sow be treated?

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Healthilyea:
Hello house. Please i have a few questions.
1, What is an ideal cost per kg for feed? Is N60-N65/kg too expensive?
2, Soyameal vs soyacake?
- Pkm vs pkc ?
-Bdg vs wheat offal
3, is dis composition ideal for growers?
Maize 40%
Pkm or pkc 22.5%
Soyameal 10%
Bdg 15%
Wheat offal 10%
Bonemeal 2%
Methionine 0.025%
Lysine 0.025%
Premix 0.25%
Salt 0.25%.

cc dejia
cc femu
cc lagbaja
cc boluwajokosegun

Thanks.

To determine the ideal cost weigh a random sample of the growers within a specific duration and determine how many kg of feed they consume to gain a kg of liveweight.

soya meal, soya cake, pkc, pkm are all terms that could refer to the same product or different products depending on your locale, feedmill, processor or whom you ask.
Its better if you can describe the source, physical characteristics or attach a picture

BDG and wheatoffal are both good souces of fibre.

The formulation you have attached looks good enough for growers.
Hope they are looking chubby and fresh?

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 7:37pm On Jan 30, 2016
femu:

To determine the ideal cost weigh a random sample of the growers within a specific duration and determine how many kg of feed they consume to gain a kg of liveweight.

soya meal, soya cake, pkc, pkm are all terms that could refer to the same product or different products depending on your locale, feedmill, processor or whom you ask.
Its better if you can describe the source, physical characteristics or attach a picture

BDG and wheatoffal are both good souces of fibre.

The formulation you have attached looks good enough for growers.
Hope they are looking chubby and fresh?

Palm Kernel Cake(am sure everyone can identify ?) in my area its gotten from presco plc, its single crush, but with reasonable/most oil extracted. Costs btwn N 25-33/kg
Palm Kernel Meal, am not too sure, but think is solvent extracted form of pkc. Its drier n crumby in texture. Feedmill says its higher in crude protein dan pkc.
They source from PHC. Costs N36/kg.
Soyabean Meal, not also sure, but i think its also solvent extracted, so its drier n crumby intexture, like garri. Butter yellow in color, with specs of grinded beans visible. Costs N135/kg
Soyabean Cake is processed like PKC, beans fried, grinded and pressed to extract oil. Its darker in color against SBM , brownish yellow. Costs N150.
D issue is this; does having less oil mean having more crude protein? Like in d case of PKM against PKC, But i dont know if its d same with SBM.

I only have pic of PalmKernelMeal (top) n SoyaBeanCake(bottom) attached.

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 8:28pm On Jan 30, 2016
Healthilyea:

Palm Kernel Cake(am sure everyone can identify ?) in my area its gotten from presco plc, its single crush, but with reasonable/most oil extracted. Costs btwn N 25-33/kg
Palm Kernel Meal, am not too sure, but think is solvent extracted form of pkc. Its drier n crumby in texture. Feedmill says its higher in crude protein dan pkc.
They source from PHC. Costs N36/kg.
Soyabean Meal, not also sure, but i think its also solvent extracted, so its drier n crumby intexture, like garri. Butter yellow in color, with specs of grinded beans visible. Costs N135/kg
Soyabean Cake is processed like PKC, beans fried, grinded and pressed to extract oil. Its darker in color against SBM , brownish yellow. Costs N150.
D issue is this; does having less oil mean having more crude protein? Like in d case of PKM against PKC, But i dont know if its d same with SBM.

I only have pic of PalmKernelMeal (top) n SoyaBeanCake(bottom) attached.

Go for results and affordability.

unless you analyse your feed all the time you can't be precise.

Finally monograstric nutrition is a professional field that goes beyond casual analysis....
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2016
femu:

Go for results and affordability.

unless you analyse your feed all the time you can't be precise.

Finally monograstric nutrition is a professional field that goes beyond casual analysis....
Thanks for your swift responses. God bless
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by donnie(m): 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2016
Healthilyea:
Please o, my dear farmers, what is this called n how is itveffectively treated? Also can a pregnant sow be treated?

Looks like a case of Mange. Causes serious itching. The animals would rub their bodies against rough surfaces. It causes weight loss and could spread to all the animals if not tackled effectively.

Treat using injectable Ivermectine. Administration- subcutaneous (under the skin).

I'l advice that you consult your vet especially regarding the pregnant sow or like someone suggested, you may wash the pregnant sow thoroughly with detergent and izal and apply black oil for 3 days.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 10:00am On Feb 02, 2016
donnie:

Looks like a case of Mange. Causes serious itching. The animals would rub their bodies against rough surfaces. It causes weight loss and could spread to all the animals if not tackled effectively.

Treat using injectable Ivermectine. Administration- subcutaneous (under the skin).

I'l advice that you consult your vet especially regarding the pregnant sow or like someone suggested, you may wash the pregnant sow thoroughly with detergent and izal and apply black oil for 3 days.
Thanks for d help.
By "black-oil" , do u mean spent engine oil?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by donnie(m): 10:15am On Feb 02, 2016
Healthilyea:

Thanks for d help.
By "black-oil" , do u mean spent engine oil?

I think he meant palm kernel oil (pko). But spent engine oil mixed with palm oil can also bring some relief from scratching.

Your boars should also be treated as they could be carriers of the mites and could spread them to the sows they meet.

Lest I forget, 14 days after the first treatment with ivermectine, you treat again.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 4:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
donnie:

I think he meant palm kernel oil (pko). But spent engine oil mixed with palm oil can also bring some relief from scratching.

Your boars should also be treated as they could be carriers of the mites and could spread them to the sows they meet.

Lest I forget, 14 days after the first treatment with ivermectine, you treat again.
Oh ok, thanks again .
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Kian000: 4:52pm On Feb 02, 2016
Good Day to You Sir/Madam,

We have direct and efficient providers of Bank Guarantee (BG’s), Insurance Guarantees, MTN, Confirmable Bank Drafts, Standby Letters of Credit (SBLC) and Third Party Guarantees. If you are a potential Investor or principal looking to raise capital, we will be happy to answer any questions that you have about this opportunity and to provide you with details regarding these services. Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you
get your project funded, by providing you with yearly renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with the providers of these instruments. Leased Instruments can be obtained at minimal costs to lessor compared to other banking finance options. This offer is open to both individuals and corporate bodies. If you have need for Corporate loans, International project funding, etc. or if you have a client that requires funding for his project or business, We are also affiliated with lenders who specialize on funding against financial instruments, such as BG, SBLC, POF or MTN, we fund 100% of the face value of the financial instrument. Inquiries from agents/ brokers/ intermediaries are also welcome. If you are interested in seeking to raise finance for your business/projects in this way.

For further inquiries please kindly contact:

Name; Ezzatollah Kianersi A.
E-mail; bgbroker.kianersi@gmail.com

Thank You
Ezzatollah Kianersi​

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 6:26pm On Feb 02, 2016
Healthilyea:

Like Donnie said, looks very much like mange. You can treat your pregnant sow with any of the ivermectin range, depending on how advanced the pregnancy is. To be safe treat from 3 month into the gestation period or two weeks to delivery to avoid transfering to piglets.
For Ivermec, you'll only need to do this once as it stays in the system longer than the incubation period of the mange eggs. But for Tectin, Ivermectin etc you will have to repeat 10-14 days after first treatment.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2016
ops:

Like Donnie said, looks very much like mange. You can treat your pregnant sow with any of the ivermectin range, depending on how advanced the pregnancy is. To be safe treat from 3 month into the gestation period or two weeks to delivery to avoid transfering to piglets.
For Ivermec, you'll only need to do this once as it stays in the system longer than the incubation period of the mange eggs. But for Tectin, Ivermectin etc you will have to repeat 10-14 days after first treatment.
Alright . Thanks very much
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by valx2: 11:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
akhis:
pls can anyone share special feed formular for weaners. Some people suggested mixture of blood with feeds, others say I can add poultry feeds (starter). pls what do you guys feel is the best option for weaners. I have brewery waste and pkc presently.
blood meal is not really advisable at that age as it can give them diarrhoea (not good at all for weaners). Startér is way to go coz it contains essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by valx2: 12:01am On Feb 04, 2016
Healthilyea:
I guess that's mange or lice.. I suggest you go for ivermectin injection.. Strictly adhere to the instructions.. You can postpone that of the pregnant sow till after farrow.. And also treat the litters some days after.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by valx2: 12:04am On Feb 04, 2016
Please farmers, how do I handle a nursing sow not producing enough milk for piglets.? .
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 9:26am On Feb 04, 2016
valx2:
Please farmers, how do I handle a nursing sow not producing enough milk for piglets.? .

Feed it quality food. A mix of Maize and Soya for at least 2 weeks or You can use any chicken feed with at least 18% crude protein.It's expensive feed but you will be rewarded with a high survival rate of weaned piglets with very rapid growth.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 9:31am On Feb 04, 2016
valx2:
blood meal is not really advisable at that age as it can give them diarrhoea (not good at all for weaners). Startér is way to go coz it contains essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Good luck

Blood meal is very good for Weaners whether used dry or wet ( boiled, do not use raw blood ). Use at a maximum ration of 6% (dry mater basis) . To ensure that its infection free, mix with tetracycline. You can use a sachet of antibiotics used for aquaculture. Use according to the recommended mix ratio on the sachet.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 10:37am On Feb 04, 2016
akhis:

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by valx2: 12:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
lagbaja:

Blood meal is very good for Weaners whether used dry or wet ( boiled, do not use raw blood ). Use at a maximum ration of 6% (dry mater basis) . To ensure thmat its infection free, mix with tetracycline. You can use a sachet of antibiotics used for aquaculture. Use according to the recommended mix ratio on the sachet.
wow, thanks for the correction..

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
My King boar weighing over 250kg is going to Pig heaven/retirement soon and am in need of 3 mature Healthy and active Boar Pigs weighing between 50-70kg.

They should have good physique and be free of diseases

You can call or WhatsApp me on 08034209301 if you have such desirable pigs.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Don4eva(m): 2:34pm On Feb 06, 2016
femu:

My King boar weighing over 250kg is going to Pig heaven/retirement soon and am in need of 3 mature Healthy and active Boar Pigs weighing between 50-70kg.

They should have good physique and be free of diseases

You can call or WhatsApp me on 08034209301 if you have such desirable pigs.
Oga femu, I think you need to share the picture of this your boar, 250kg is really massive
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Healthilyea: 7:05pm On Feb 06, 2016
Don4eva:
Oga femu, I think you need to share the picture of this your boar, 250kg is really massive
seconded

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.