Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,821 members, 7,824,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! (6949 Views)

Obiano Commissions E4E Program For Niger Delta Youths In Anambra- Pix / Gov Obiano Commissions Power-injection Substations In Anambra State (photos) / Obiano Commissions Aroma And Amawbia Flyovers In Anambra State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by AustineE1: 4:09am On Jun 30, 2014
Obiano Commissions Nigeria’s First Building Materials Testing Laboratory
Category: REPORTS
Published on Sunday, 29 June 2014 21:44
By James Eze

Worried by the spate of building collapses in the state, Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State has
opened what is widely believed to be the first Building and Construction Materials Quality Control Laboratory in Nigeria.
In a brief ceremony at the weekend to mark the commissioning of the ultra-modern facility sited in the premises of the Ministry of Works, Awka, the governor expressed hope that with this interventionist effort, the saga of building collapses in the state would soon be consigned to the past.
According to him, the facility, has over 120 equipment for testing various materials to ensure a comprehensive compliance to standards. Chief Obiano observed that with the facility, the incidence of structural failures which lead to the collapse of buildings, road and other infrastructures would come to an end in Anambra State.
The governor however warned that any builder or construction engineer who fails to submit his materials for testing in the laboratory runs the risk of having his building or any project under construction pulled down by the relevant authorities as his administration would no longer fold its hands and watch citizens die on account of someone’s carelessness.
The governor also ordered the immediate removal of all structures leaning on approved original building plans and made it clear that very soon, when the relevant authorities embark on the dismantling of such structures, it would be accompanied by severe penalties ranging from outright prosecution to the payment of heavy fines including the eventual cost of dismantling them by the authorities.
He also enjoined builders to maintain the specified set-back from road as government would not hesitate to demolish any structure sited on a set-back.
Earlier in his opening remarks, the Commissioner for Works, Hon. Callistus Ilozumba said the laboratory would be managed through a public-private partnership arrangement between the State government and a private firm.
Hon. Ilozumba further explained that in accordance with specification, construction materials would be pre-tested before they get to the project sites and quality control test conducted while the projects are in progress.
He called on all the stakeholders to continue to give support towards the realization of the goal of the project. In his own remarks on behalf of public-private partners, Mr. Ebosie Ezeoke disclosed that the laboratory would provide service for testing sub-soil, soil, concrete, steel, chemical, asphalt and non-destructive test for existing structures.
Also speaking, the Secretary to the Investigation Panel on Collapsed Building, Mr. Emeka Okpala said the Panel was already using the facility to carry out their work on collapsed building.
By James Eze
www.elombah.com

3 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by AustineE1: 4:11am On Jun 30, 2014
I rep my governor,always a step ahead of others!
God bless Anambra State!
God bless Ndigbo!!
God bless Nigeria!!!

9 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by MajeMedia: 4:16am On Jun 30, 2014
Austine.E:
Obiano Commissions Nigeria’s First Building Materials Testing Laboratory
Category: REPORTS
Published on Sunday, 29 June 2014 21:44
By James Eze

Worried by the spate of building collapses in the state, Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State has
opened what is widely believed to be the first Building and Construction Materials Quality Control Laboratory in Nigeria.
In a brief ceremony at the weekend to mark the commissioning of the ultra-modern facility sited in the premises of the Ministry of Works, Awka, the governor expressed hope that with this interventionist effort, the saga of building collapses in the state would soon be consigned to the past.
According to him, the facility, has over 120 equipment for testing various materials to ensure a comprehensive compliance to standards. Chief Obiano observed that with the facility, the incidence of structural failures which lead to the collapse of buildings, road and other infrastructures would come to an end in Anambra State.
The governor however warned that any builder or construction engineer who fails to submit his materials for testing in the laboratory runs the risk of having his building or any project under construction pulled down by the relevant authorities as his administration would no longer fold its hands and watch citizens die on account of someone’s carelessness.
The governor also ordered the immediate removal of all structures leaning on approved original building plans and made it clear that very soon, when the relevant authorities embark on the dismantling of such structures, it would be accompanied by severe penalties ranging from outright prosecution to the payment of heavy fines including the eventual cost of dismantling them by the authorities.
He also enjoined builders to maintain the specified set-back from road as government would not hesitate to demolish any structure sited on a set-back.
Earlier in his opening remarks, the Commissioner for Works, Hon. Callistus Ilozumba said the laboratory would be managed through a public-private partnership arrangement between the State government and a private firm.
Hon. Ilozumba further explained that in accordance with specification, construction materials would be pre-tested before they get to the project sites and quality control test conducted while the projects are in progress.
He called on all the stakeholders to continue to give support towards the realization of the goal of the project. In his own remarks on behalf of public-private partners, Mr. Ebosie Ezeoke disclosed that the laboratory would provide service for testing sub-soil, soil, concrete, steel, chemical, asphalt and non-destructive test for existing structures.
Also speaking, the Secretary to the Investigation Panel on Collapsed Building, Mr. Emeka Okpala said the Panel was already using the facility to carry out their work on collapsed building.
By James Eze
www.elombah.com

AWESOME!!

Before the site crashed i posted that Anambra should so something similar, but his execution is better than what I had even planned! Quality control will take Nigeria to another level

2 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by crusader01(m): 4:21am On Jun 30, 2014
Hmmmm,still waiting for programmes that will improve the lives of the masses. Basic amenities first and every other things follow.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by MajeMedia: 4:29am On Jun 30, 2014
This type of hungry analysis should not be permitted in the new nairaland. So having a safe buildings and homes is not important because of what?

7 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by biafranqueen: 5:07am On Jun 30, 2014
This is why i was in support of this man from the go my spirit can never lie to me if you meet this man you will know he is no nonsense!

8 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by fr3do(m): 5:24am On Jun 30, 2014
grin cve211 strength of materials

2 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by jaryeh(m): 5:32am On Jun 30, 2014
This isn't the first in Nigeria na. Materials testing laboratories have been in Lagos for donkey's years now.

Nice one though, kudos to the governor.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2014
Show us the link to confirm that this isn't the first in Nigeria?

jaryeh: This isn't the first in Nigeria na. Materials testing laboratories have been in Lagos for donkey's years now.

Nice one though, kudos to the governor.

7 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 7:22am On Jun 30, 2014
The masses rejoice when a technocrat is in power!

biafranqueen: This is why i was in support of this man from the go my spirit can never lie to me if you meet this man you will know he is no nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by VICTORCIZA(m): 7:28am On Jun 30, 2014
kudos to ndi Anambra for voting this man.

6 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:35am On Jun 30, 2014
biafranqueen: This is why i was in support of this man from the go my spirit can never lie to me if you meet this man you will know he is no nonsense!

Please,show some integrity ;You and your people were never in support of Obiano....You and your Anaedo brothers were aggressively rooting for Uba,your kinsman, while condemning Obi and his candidate.

Remember my famous mantra.....Onu kwuli njo ya emesia kwue mma.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by hurricaneChris: 7:48am On Jun 30, 2014
fr3do: grin cve211 strength of materials

Lol. You just reminded me Arc301. Funny days sha

This is a welcome development.
If only Lagos had had something like this for years.

Another thing is to make sure that those in charge of this facility do not compromise in their result. And also ensuring that only certified actors handle construction activities.

1 Like

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by homerac7: 8:23am On Jun 30, 2014
chino24: Show us the link to confirm that this isn't the first in Nigeria?

Guy, stop this ignorance display. Every field engineer in Lagos knows Unilag and Lagos State Material Testing Laboratories are mandatory centers in all construction projects. Google is your friend. At least you know Unilag, the state laboratory is at Berger in premises of Lagos State Public Works Agency.

2 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 8:27am On Jun 30, 2014
Stop too much grammar and start posting links to prove that Anambra's Testing Center isn't the first in Nigeria!

homerac7:

Guy, stop this ignorance display. Every field engineer in Lagos knows Unilag and Lagos State Material Testing Laboratories are mandatory centers in all construction projects. Google is your friend. At least you know Unilag, the state laboratory is at Berger in premises of Lagos State Public Works Agency.

6 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by jaryeh(m): 9:04am On Jun 30, 2014
chino24: Show us the link to confirm that this isn't the first in Nigeria?

Well, if that is what you need.... www.lspwc-ng.com/news-a-events-166/110-how-our-departments-contribute.html

Lagos State Public Works Corporation has materials testing laboratories!

1 Like

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by signz: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2014
fr3do: grin cve211 strength of materials

U go Esut?
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Kassidy4luv(m): 9:37am On Jun 30, 2014
I work with lagos state materials testing laboratory, presently in anambra state materials laboratory to train new staff.

The equipments here is so far better than what we have presently in lagos.

The governor is really working.

7 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by fr3do(m): 10:49am On Jun 30, 2014
signz:

U go Esut?

uniben

1 Like

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 30, 2014
My own is that he should mk Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi look more organised like other cities. Awka still don't have bustops yet it claims state capitAl.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 11:27am On Jun 30, 2014
When last were you in Anambra cities? Sanitation and organization is top-notch!

chidyhels: My own is that he should mk Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi look more organised like other cities. Awka still don't have bustops yet it claims state capitAl.

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2014
chino24: When last were you in Anambra cities? Sanitation and organization is top-notch!

. I stay in awka and I have visited lots of cities, awka is still very backward and unorganized. Time will tell shaa, the guy is still fresh.

4 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 11:48am On Jun 30, 2014
^^

If you go through my thread I have not said that Awka has become Dubai yet what I implied was that the city is among the fastest growing cities in Nigeria. The only problem Awka has is more or less the Amansea-Amawbia section of the expressway which is now being reconstructed, remodeled and expanded into 6 lanes with flyovers cris-crossing it. Aside that Awka has some of the best hospitality and beautiful real estates. Awka is getting 2 malls (Shoprite and LG Electronics Mall).

We are not Dubai yet but we are on the right track to achieving that!

1 Like

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 30, 2014
Let's be realistic and not play politics. Lg mall ? Shoprit mall? When do you think that will ever be ready? Like I said, I stay in awka and I visit other cities, Awka is far from being organised.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2014
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:04pm On Jun 30, 2014
Your opinion is just yours and does not represent mine nor any other person. Are you really sure you are resident here as me? If not who does not know that Shoprite Mall will be ready by November latest December. Awka is organized and among the fastest developing cities. Deal with it!

[s]
chidyhels: Let's be realistic and not play politics. Lg mall ? Shoprit mall? When do you think that will ever be ready? Like I said, I stay in awka and I visit other cities, Awka is far from being organised.
[/s]

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2014
Awka has some of the best hospitality industries!

1 Like

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2014
LG Electronics Mall will soon step out! I will personally go bring the update on the ongoing work there!

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 30, 2014
chino24: Your opinion is just yours and does not represent mine nor any other person. Are you really sure you are resident here as me? If not who does not know that Shoprite Mall will be ready by November latest December. Awka is organized and among the fastest developing cities. Deal with it!

no one is fighting with you Mr. ExpeRience life in other capitals then compare it with the so called Dubai you are building and fastly developing. Malls won't mk any difference if you don't organise and beautify your streets.

2 Likes

Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by Energito: 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2014
Awka still look like village just admit.
chino24: LG Electronics Mall will soon step out! I will personally go bring the update on the ongoing work there!
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:22pm On Jun 30, 2014
You have not traveled more than myself my friend! I have branch offices at least in 3 other major cities out here (PH, Onitsha and Lagos), Abuja to follow soon. I am talking as an employer and a widely traveled person. Malls and all are part of city development. You claim to be in Awka but you have not seen massive road projects and flyovers going on!

chidyhels: no one is fighting with you Mr. ExpeRience life in other capitals then compare it with the so called Dubai you are building and fastly developing. Malls won't mk any difference if you don't organise and beautify your streets.
Re: Obiano Commissions Nigeria's First Building Materials Testing Laboratory! by chino24: 12:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
When blind men were asked to size an Elephant they all came out with different opinions. cheesy

Whatever you say is your own opinion and does not affect my own opinion or any other person's. You keep saying yours and I keep saying mine! cheesy
Stick to that while we keep moving faster than the speed of the light! cheesy

Awka is among the few fastest developing cities in Nigeria. Deal with it!

[s]
Energito: Awka still look like village just admit.
[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Falls On A Roof In London From A Plane Coming From South African (pic ) / Peter Obi Talks About “Citizens Participation In Governance” In Washington DC / Presidential Tribunal: Don’t Be Used By Politicians – Ohanaeze Begs Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.