Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! (52741 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos / US Embassy's Conditions For Baby Delivery In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Emela95: 7:49am On Jul 01, 2014
Lol...I think it depends.. I had the same experience but am in America now and I have come to figure out the simple mistake I made... First of, Americans are good psychologists... They look @ ur eye contact, look straight to their eyes while having a conversation, else they will think ur lying.. They also look @ ur body language... And u have to show evidence in anything ur saying...u have to come with documents to back up what ur saying!
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by NaLaugh: 7:51am On Jul 01, 2014
Too bad for them. i don't feel bad for them though.

Majority of Nigerians have taken it upon themselves to be perpetually insincere.
I have grown weary of defending Nigerian shortcomings, so these days i don't even bother.
Anyone you meet only has a negative story about a Nigerian they have encountered. Now, i just tell them "Yeah, it happens."

Let them re-apply when they're ready to be truthful.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by tellwisdom: 8:00am On Jul 01, 2014
mekuzee1: Everybody dn dhe talk dia own,,even ppl wey no know road to d embassy.,d only tin is jus 4 u 2 b BOLD,n go straight..

Bold ko, curve ni undecided

3 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by SirAweezy(m): 8:01am On Jul 01, 2014
I remembered vividly, it was year 2006 when I applied to further my studies...

After series of questions and supported evidences... The VO relaxed and glanced at me for over 3minutes. Then came forward and said:

"You are qualified for this Visa, but I'm sorry I don't know why I can't give you"

I was like wow! Speechless! She just pushed my PP back to me.

Also remembered a VO (on window 6). She was just dashing out Visas.

VO: Hi, how are you

Applicant: I'm Good thank you

VO: today is my birthday, wish me happy birthday

Applicant: Happy birthday.. Blah blah

VO: oh you going to Miami... (Push the blue card to you) come back for your visa in 2days. Byeee,

Mehn... See my 9ja people omo.. People just one get by force luck enter Window 6 o. If the Windon 2 VO says Next.. See people wey don dey ur front go dey play nice: offering you to go before them. Lol.

But America is just another place.. (Over-rated though) ..if you are lazy, you are lazy! (You won't survive either).

21 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by texaco1: 8:02am On Jul 01, 2014
Dreal1247: The truth remains that Nigerians most of the times fail to realise the fact that one of the easiest place to succeed in life is Nigeria. Some people are doing the menial job that they cant do in Nigeria abroad. Yet they cant even make ends meet.
God bless u for this comment bro,people will never believe until they have seen and experienced it. I always advise people that what they are spending millions or hundreds of thousand to look for is right in front and beside them in nigeria .but whenever I tell them ,they. Always hate me so I have decided to watch them.but nigerians should note that what u are looking for outside is right there in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 01, 2014
Blame poverty...

They can't deny Dangote visa to any country..

Blame illiteracy...

For those who answer JAMB questions with WAEC syllabus..

6 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 01, 2014
SirAweezy: I remembered vividly, it was year 2006 when I applied to further my studies...

After series of questions and supported evidences... The VO relaxed and glanced at me for over 3minutes. Then came forward and said:

"You are qualified for this Visa, but I'm sorry I don't know why I can't give you"

I was like wow! Speechless! She just pushed my PP back to me.

Also remembered a VO (on window 6). She was just dashing out Visas.

VO: Hi, how are you

Applicant: I'm Good thank you

VO: today is my birthday, wish me happy birthday

Applicant: Happy birthday.. Blah blah

VO: oh you going to Miami... (Push the blue card to you) come back for your visa in 2days. Byeee,

Mehn... See my 9ja people omo.. People just one get by force luck enter Window 6 o. If the Windon 2 VO says Next.. See people wey don dey ur front go dey play nice: offering you to go before them. Lol.

But America is just another place.. (Over-rated though) ..if you are lazy, you are lazy! (You won't survive either).

Omo who says God is not involved in this thing. My elder sister and brother got theirs the same day by the same man. They said that man had denied almost 7 people visa that day in their front. And they said some people who got there before them were mumbling that he has been denying visa even before they came. They said people were avoiding that box. The man was not smiling and hardly made eye contact wiv the applicants. My sister went and he looked at her. Was a student visa. She didn't even spend 4 minutes wiv the man and after giving her and going through her documents he told her to call her brother.
First thing he said to my brother is your shirt is fine. He scrutinised my brother more. Spent almost 10 minutes asking him questions. The rest is history. My sister said people were staring at them. This is a man that was just denying people visa. Call it luck. I call it Grace........

20 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Atmmachine(m): 8:34am On Jul 01, 2014
they aren't genuine.. Those immigration officers knows when you are lying or telling the truth
if you are really genuine but you failed their questions, they will surely give you a visa..

I played with them before migrating to the USA. the gave me visas on three occassions but i didn't made use of it, i let them expire
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by siegfried99(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2014
Very informative, thanks @op wink

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 01, 2014
So sad...everybody wanna go to America. But have you thought about Scandinavian countries?Norway,Sweden,Denmark, Finland....these are the best countries in the world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by touchmeder: 8:44am On Jul 01, 2014
A long time ago, I learnt it was unwise to beg oyibo especially in formal settings, when a final decision has been made. You not only annoy them further, but give d impression that you are trying to make them circumvent the rules.

3 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Pangea: 8:59am On Jul 01, 2014
Nice advice,
A word is enough for the wise alecks who think they can bamboozle a visa officer with their emotion.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by brixton: 9:10am On Jul 01, 2014
Op, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Reference(m): 9:11am On Jul 01, 2014
lagtech:

I agree and I disagree.

Generally if you succeed in Place A -you can succeed in Place B. Success principles are universal. But geography, location and type of environment also affect levels of 'success".

There are Americans all over the world-it doesn't mean that they hate America. And there are Nigerians all over the world too-it doesn't mean that they hate Nigeria.

I have been in America for several years-and I haven't met any Nigerian doing any job they wouldn't do in Nigeria. There might be some-but I haven't met any of them. There is no shame in labor. As long as your work is honest-than you can be proud of it. And if there are some jobs that can be considered 'menial or low' it seems better to do it in a foreign land where you are guest and tenant than in your own land where you are a landlord.

Many Nigerians are making it in Nigeria and many Nigerians are making it in America!!!

Wherever you are-work hard, work smart, make your family and country proud-let the child you were be proud of the person YOU HAVE become and enjoy God's Earth!

Good reply. Its not what you do or where you are. Its who you are.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by 50calibre(m): 9:12am On Jul 01, 2014
Where is Afam4ever? Could the OP furnish this guy with more tips, he's had his American visa application denied multiple times. It's really unfair to the guy and yet his love for America is undying.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by megastu(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2014
OP, what of your own interview.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by 50calibre(m): 9:23am On Jul 01, 2014
Nobleval: So sad...everybody wanna go to America. But have you thought about Scandinavian countries?Norway,Sweden,Denmark, Finland....these are the best countries in the world.

You're so right but there are a lot of factors to consider. For one most of these Scandinavian countries are xenophobic, they don't want influx of foreigners into their country, and thats how they retain their high standard of living.

Integration is another major concern, it's very east to integrate in America, where there is always a community of your kind within reach whereas in Scandinavia integration can be extremely difficult, blacks are very much a minority there so often times you can find yourself lonely, marginalised and fighting all the odds alone, and not mention their inhospitable weather.

Many of these countries still hold on to ancient traditional European values, this includes Racism, segregation

9 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by BarryX(m): 9:32am On Jul 01, 2014
lagtech:

Non immigrant? Marriage as in how? Do you mean marriage as evidence of a binding tie to Nigeria?
.. Exactly
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Ekundayo7: 9:38am On Jul 01, 2014
Okay. This is what I have learned dealing with VO.
1. Fill out the forms legibly. I mean perfectly able to read.
2. Put all documents in a clean, crisp new folder and in the order they will likely ask for them. For some reason there are VO that get enraged with staple or paper clip. Judgement call. If you have put paper clip it is better, as when asked to hand papers, if you notice a frown, take the paper clip off immediately before handing over so they don't have to take it off. (trust me on this one)
3. Be truthful. They will sniff out a lie before it even leaves your lips. If you must embroider, better do it carefully and skillfully researched.
4. Arrive looking neat and clean. Don't dress informally but don't overdo it. Sunday service clothes will do.
5. Act nice, natural and neutral. Smile and greet them appropriately: "Good Morning, Good Afternoon" then SHUT UP.
6. Put your best intentions and attitude forward, keep it simple, know your answers and give them the information they need when asked without a long winded speech.
7. Forget everything you think you know about communication. Americans are very direct and expect you to be the same. They are expecting you to start the Oga routine, and they despise that one. Stand on your own two feet and in very clear concise responses, show them that you know exactly when, where, why, and how about the need for this visa. Do not chew gum, pull your hair, scratch your head, turn around and talk to others behind you, make faces, sigh, etc. Just look straight at them and get down to business efficiently, make their work easier and they will reward you. People with a head on their shoulders and a plan, i.e. "going somewhere" with their life, get visas.
8. If you are planning to burn the visa (which I don't recommend) you better have solid proof of all the ironclad reasons you are coming back to naija (wife, kids, business, sick mom, whatever).
9. If you do get the visa, congratulations, but remember that you still have to pass customs and immigration once arriving. Same routine there. There is a good possibility you will get pulled out of line. Have your folder with documents in order, all documents pertaining to your "business" overseas, and have them on your person, in order and at ready. If they seem intent on starting a fishing expedition with questions, pull your folder out with letter of invitation, travel documents, all proof you need to instantly quell any need for them asking questions which could veer off of the basics.
10. NEVER hint, ask or suggest if there is a way to "understand" each other. Never. Don't even go there.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by cocoduck: 9:56am On Jul 01, 2014
What about Japan? I plan to go to Japan to study what documents do I go to the embassy with?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 01, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 01, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by kechywillz(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2014
the fact still remains like this,its hard to get US Visa from nigeria than any other country,they look at nigerians as criminals. I dont like d US so much,their are better countris one can stay and make it.For instance Norway,sweden,Iceland,denmark n so more of them,the fact is that wen u'v made it these countries,Usa will now be a place were u'll like just go on a visit

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by NosaHenry(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2014
lagtech:

I agree and I disagree.

Generally if you succeed in Place A -you can succeed in Place B. Success principles are universal. But geography, location and type of environment also affect levels of 'success".

There are Americans all over the world-it doesn't mean that they hate America. And there are Nigerians all over the world too-it doesn't mean that they hate Nigeria.

I have been in America for several years-and I haven't met any Nigerian doing any job they wouldn't do in Nigeria. There might be some-but I haven't met any of them. There is no shame in labor. As long as your work is honest-than you can be proud of it. And if there are some jobs that can be considered 'menial or low' it seems better to do it in a foreign land where you are guest and tenant than in your own land where you are a landlord.

Many Nigerians are making it in Nigeria and many Nigerians are making it in America!!!

Wherever you are-work hard, work smart, make your family and country proud-let the child you were be proud of the person YOU HAVE become and enjoy God's Earth!

I couldn't have said it better. I just think you are smart and intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2014
cocoduck: What about Japan? I plan to go to Japan to study what documents do I go to the embassy with?
Go with your translator

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 01, 2014
lagtech: I was at the US Embassy in Lagos whilst on a visit to Nigeria recently. Whilst waiting for my appointment-I watched as people were attended to:
Visiting Visas
Work Visas
Immigration Visas

For some it was joy, for others it was unbelievable sorrow. I saw grown men weeping and begging and people celebrating for joy. I noticed the many mistakes people made at the embassy. The way the interview hall is designed -there is little privacy-as you can see and hear what people say to their interviewers.

Case 1: A lady claiming to be a civil servant with the Lagos State Government was asked repeatedly her income and job specification. From what I could gather-this woman was a cleaner/sweeper with the LASG -but had a good side business. But knowing that her salary as a civil servant couldn't possibly foot her travel bills-she kept on avoiding a straight answer to the question. After the initial answer of "I am a sweeper" she kept on trying to explain that she had a side business and was a business woman -even though the interviewer had not asked here anything concerning this. She was denied.
Lesson: Answer the questions you are asked. Be precise to the point. The interviewer would likely have asked here later on how she intended to foot the travel bill with her salary. Then she could have mentioned her business and provided evidence. Not before she was asked.

Case 2: Someone apply for a Visiting Visa was asked time after time-why he chose to go to a particular city in America (I think it was in the State of Georgia or Utah-I cant remember) and they kept on rambling and stammering. If I was visiting Nigeria from the USA and was not born in Nigeria-and decided to go to Abeokuta: there could be many reasons why:
-Maybe I have friends there
-Maybe I want to visit Olumo Rock
-Maybe because its close to Lagos-but much cheaper than Lagos
-Maybe my friends have gone there before
There has to be valid reason why you choose a destination. It defys logic if you cant easily and swiftly in one sentence say why you picked your destination.

Case 3: A woman who was applying to join her Husband overseas-was asked repeatedly: How often does your Husband come to visit you. I don't know if it was tension or something else-but the lady kept rambling. The question was simple:
" How often does your husband visit you"
And she kept on telling stories. The interviewer even at one point tried to help her-by asking:
"Is it every month or every year?"
And this lady couldn't get herself together. I think she was denied.

Case 4: Couples who came to be interviewed-not sure if for Visa lottery or some other immigrant Visa were separated after the first few questions. They asked one guy-where did you meet your wife? Wow! How can a man or woman not know where they met their partner. Even after 80 year of marriage-couples know where they met. My bros could not answer. The interviewer reached the assumption that it was a sham marriage and cancelled the visa that I think was in the last stage as they had previously visited the embassy. I felt so bad when the guy started saying : "I beg you in the name of God" You cant beg oyinbo people like that o. As soon as they give a decision -its done. To change it could even mean they loose their jobs.

Case 5: An elderly woman came with a child -saying that the child (about 3 years I think) had been adopted by her relative in the USA. The interviewer just brought out a copy of Punch newspapers and showed an article that had exposed that particular orphanage as a criminal enterprise which the Lagos Sate Government had shut down.
Case 6: A guy brought a lady saying that she was his wife. The interviewer then asked the lady to face a camera and declared that the Embassy face recognition software clearly showed that the photograph on the initial application was not that of the person standing in front of her.Almost in tears -she tried to explain that she had grown weight or something. She was denied and his visa was cancelled I think for fraud.
And all this was in less than 3 hours. In fact there were so many more.
Advice:
Answer questions directly. Don't tell stories. The interviewers don't hate you or even know you. They also don't like you. You are just another number on a list of interviews they have to conduct to earn their pay check. Be cool, be calm, be collected.
I remember one young Embassy staff-denying a man and the man kept begging. The interviewer with no emotion kept repeating: The interview is over sir. Your Visa request has been denied. Bla bla bla bla.
Non Immigrant Visa
The Embassy assumes that EVERYONE coming for any kind of Visa has no intention of returning to Nigeria. They want evidence that you will come back. Something that will show that you will come back.
Immigrant Visa
While filing your forms-don't lie, don't embellish. Just say the truth and put your records in order.

And if for some reason-you are denied-its not the end of the world. Just turn the disappointment into a blessing.
God bless Nigeria. God bless America.

IS IT THE US EMBASSY IN LAGOS??
Your story is bullshiiiit man.
First of all, you can get privacy once you pick up thee fone in front of you. If you dont pick it up, it will automatically be on speaker.

Secondly, you only run biometrics once and that is before the interview. During the interview, nobody has any business with how you look like. The visa officer will only look at ur passport and proceed to interview u.

Lastly, immigrant visa applicants have their own section and non-immigrant have their own section and its impossible to hear whats going on in the immigrant section from the non immigrant section.

Your story is crap.

4 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by victorv12(m): 10:27am On Jul 01, 2014
Most Nigerians have phobia for white people. Majority of our people sees white people like spirits or what the Yorubas used to call "OJUJU CALABA". Our people hardly see or chat with coloured people on a daily, and coming across one in an unfriendly environment like the America Embassy can make a brother loose his composure or para-trip!

We must all be logical and stop blaming some people for being denied. Just imagine a village boy that lived his entire life in one village in the SW, and coming across a white man for the first time...And the whitey now said, hey! "what's up boi? What's ya name?!" if care is not taking, a psychological disorder can set in instantly if the situation were not properly managed.

15 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by simiolu1(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2014
Nigeria my country; a place wher successful Visa applicants become testifiers in Church!

13 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by cocoduck: 10:40am On Jul 01, 2014
emmboy:
Go with your translator
I mean documents. what documents do I need to go with because the school said I have to send the documents to them (the school ) so do I go to the embassy with the same documents.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by zolatokunbo(m): 10:49am On Jul 01, 2014
icebeatz:

IS IT THE US EMBASSY IN LAGOS??
Your story is bullshiiiit man.
First of all, you can get privacy once you pick up thee fone in front of you. If you dont pick it up, it will automatically be on speaker.

Secondly, you only run biometrics once and that is before the interview. During the interview, nobody has any business with how you look like. The visa officer will only look at ur passport and proceed to interview u.

Lastly, immigrant visa applicants have their own section and non-immigrant have their own section and its impossible to hear whats going on in the immigrant section from the non immigrant section.

Your story is crap.

I think you are the one that is lost here.........when last were you at the Lagos US embassy. The way it's set up you can have an idea of what the interviewer is saying and also the person being interviewed.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 01, 2014
cocoduck:
I mean documents. what documents do I need to go with because the school said I have to send the documents to them (the school ) so do I go to the embassy with the same documents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Welcome To Balneario, Brazil, The Dubai Of Brazil(photos) / After Over One Year In Ghana. / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.