Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678788 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:35am On Jul 11, 2015
Gokawalker:
Good day Sir, I'm a foreigner from Togo but born n bred here in Nigeria , I was adopted when i was a child by father's boss who are Nigerians. I was given a Nigeria passport and i tried apply for USA conference visa 2 years ago but i was denied but now i am back with parents here in Lag and they stopped me from using the Nigerian passport. I hope i won't have any problem when i apply for USA visa [ any type of visa ] with my Togolese passport? pls reply

These questions are about non-immigrant visas, not immigrant visas. Allow me to direct you to the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by donspero(m): 6:35am On Jul 11, 2015
Thanks a lot OP for this forum. Please how do I go about an immigrant visa? How do I apply for one and if I do how many years does it take to be a full citizen? Pls I would like my question answered in detail tanx.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:35am On Jul 11, 2015
omari5:
Gud day, am am international relations student and will lyk 2 ask wat procedure I will nid 2 go thru in order 2 b able 2 work in d nigerian embassy or foreign service.

Sorry, I don't know what the requirements to work for the Nigerian Foreign Service are. But I think you should go for it. I've found that working for the U.S. Foreign Service is a rewarding, challenging, endlessly fascinating lifestyle. These three years in Nigeria have been extremely satisfying (and fun!) and I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Good luck to you!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by SFSNIPER(m): 6:36am On Jul 11, 2015
Good morning VO. My elder brother who is a Marine plans on sending me an invite, is it possible I get to stay permanently in the U.S? And wat does it involve after getting the letter? Thank you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:38am On Jul 11, 2015
RALPHOW:
VO
Please is this a genue mail from the US CEAC or a scam
I received this in my post 2 days ago.
Thanks

Dear A*********** o**********,

Thank you for being a valued U.S. Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) customer. We wish to notify you that you have been selected as one of the Diversity Visa Program person for receiving a Green Card. You can live permanently in the United States as an American resident, enter and leave the country as you wish. You can work, study, or invest. You can gain health, education, social security and other benefits. Getting a Green Card does not affect your present citizenship.

Confirmation Number: 2015977C8FGM7755
Name: A******* R. **********
Marital Status: YES
Phone Number: 447916********

~ scam scam scam ~

This is definitely a scam. DV notifications are not sent by "support@kcc-program.com."

In fact, yesterday I entered my own last name and a made-up confirmation number into the website their link leads to, and was informed that I had won the Diversity Visa lottery. smiley

You can check to see if your actual entry was selected at the official Diversity Visa website: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ . You are quite right not to trust e-mails like this one.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:38am On Jul 11, 2015
castroff44k:
Dear Visa Officer, please my visa is expiring soon and i am thinking of doing a Dropbox. i entered the Us thrice some i got it. how soon after it expires can i do the spinoff application, is there anything i need to do to facilitate renewal and is there any chance my Dropbox application could be denied?
Thanks.

These questions are about non-immigrant visas, not immigrant visas. Allow me to direct you to the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Thanks!
vDonald:
Hello VO
I applied for a K1 visa in 2007, but was denied. Reason given was the officer thinks its a sham. To be honest it was not. I and my partner brokeup as the distance would not allow things work between us. We have since move on (i am married now).
I applied for a B1/B2 visa feb 2015 from the United kingdom where i am presently studying for an MSc but was denied reason, because of the previous K1 denial.
Please how do i sort this out and get my records right.
Regards

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:39am On Jul 11, 2015
samiz:
Dear VO,

please can you help me out about the issue below.I got an email from KCC. I just want to know is this real or any scam?

Thank You for your cooperation..

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for being a valued U.S. Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) customer. We wish to notify you that you have been selected as one of the Diversity Visa Program person for receiving a Green Card. You can live permanently in the United States as an American resident, enter and leave the country as you wish. You can work, study, or invest. You can gain health, education, social security and other benefits. Getting a Green Card does not affect your present citizenship.

Confirmation Number: 2015977C8FGM7755
Name: XXXXXXX
Marital Status: YES
Phone Number: XXXXXX

Please click the link bellow and start the integration process in the United States as soon as possible...

~ scam scam scam ~

This is definitely a scam. DV notifications are not sent by "support@kcc-program.com."

You can check to see if your actual entry was selected at the official Diversity Visa website: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ . You are quite right not to trust e-mails like this one.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by FrankNetter(m): 6:39am On Jul 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The cases will be returned to USCIS for their review, and they will contact the petitioner and give him the opportunity to respond. If his response convinces USCIS that visas should be issued, they will reaffirm the petitions and return them to us. Otherwise, the cases will be closed, and new petitions will need to be filed on your behalf.

Thanks for your time and your response.

Would the new petitions take as long as the previous one did?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:41am On Jul 11, 2015
donspero:
Thanks a lot OP for this forum. Please how do I go about an immigrant visa? How do I apply for one and if I do how many years does it take to be a full citizen? Pls I would like my question answered in detail tanx.

Someone will need to file an immigration petition on your behalf. Please see http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html for full details about the various types of visa. It generally takes around five years to become a U.S. citizen, but as always, it depends on many many different factors.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:43am On Jul 11, 2015
SFSNIPER:
Good morning VO. My elder brother who is a Marine plans on sending me an invite, is it possible I get to stay permanently in the U.S? And wat does it involve after getting the letter? Thank you!

If you wish to stay permanently in the U.S., you should not apply for a non-immigrant visa. Your brother can file an I-130 petition on your behalf if he is a U.S. citizen. Please see http://www.uscis.gov/i-130 .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:44am On Jul 11, 2015
FrankNetter:

Thanks for your time and your response.

Would the new petitions take as long as the previous one did?

Probably, yes. I don't think NVC's processing times have really changed much, now that they're working through their backlog.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by SFSNIPER(m): 6:52am On Jul 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If you wish to stay permanently in the U.S., you should not apply for a non-immigrant visa. Your brother can file an I-130 petition on your behalf if he is a U.S. citizen. Please see http://www.uscis.gov/i-130 .
Thank you very much. Yes, he is a citizen. What processes follow after he files for it? And approximately how long will the processes take? Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by salmonkay: 6:57am On Jul 11, 2015
Thanks and God bless.as a first time traveller.with my wife and a 9 month old baby girl,my inlaw is an American citizen and his inviting my family to the state for a visiting what I am to take along to the interview. note am a Nigeria customs officer and my wife work with lagos state government.pls your info. Will be highly welcome.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:03am On Jul 11, 2015
SFSNIPER:

Thank you very much. Yes, he is a citizen. What processes follow after he files for it? And approximately how long will the processes take? Thank you.

You can find information about the processes at http://www.uscis.gov/i-130 . The wait time for sibling visas (F4 visa category) is quite long. Right now F4 petitions that were filed on or before Oct. 22, 2004, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:03am On Jul 11, 2015
salmonkay:
Thanks and God bless.as a first time traveller.with my wife and a 9 month old baby girl,my inlaw is an American citizen and his inviting my family to the state for a visiting what I am to take along to the interview. note am a Nigeria customs officer and my wife work with lagos state government.pls your info. Will be highly welcome.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by FrankNetter(m): 7:04am On Jul 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Probably, yes. I don't think NVC's processing times have really changed much, now that they're working through their backlog.

Thanks once more. You've been of great help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by papaking1(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Yes! Please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an update. We'll need your name and case number.

If your father is a U.S. citizen, your spouse and children can be included as derivatives. Your visa category will change to F3, though, which has a longer waiting period than F1s. If you father is a Legal Permanent Resident, unfortunately there is no category for married children of Legal Permanent Residents, so your case will be closed. I have to add that sometimes applicants attempt to hide their marital status from us, which is a very bad idea because we do check, and if someone lies about that, they incur a permanent ineligibility for material misrepresentation. So it is always in your best interest to be open and honest about these things.

Thanks for the reply.
please can we change the visa category now and if yes, how do we go about it?
will the waiting period starts all over again?

I have an invitation to speak at a conference in California in September and i have an interview date in August. i have every intention to return after the conference because of my family and my job but i have been told that the petition by my dad will result in my b1 visa been denied, please how through is this?
thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by samiz: 7:41am On Jul 11, 2015
thank you dude for your information..

VisaOfficer:

~ scam scam scam ~

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tommykiwi(m): 7:46am On Jul 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Just let the officer know when you come for your interview. Thanks!
Thank u..please who is the officer,is it the person dat will interview me or ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Jul 11, 2015
papaking1:

Thanks for the reply.
please can we change the visa category now and if yes, how do we go about it?
will the waiting period starts all over again?
thanks.

Just shoot us an e-mail and let us know you're married. If you include the names and dates of birth of your spouse and children, we can add them to the case.

The waiting period does not start all over again; your priority date remains the same. Only the visa category will change, to F3.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gmacnoms(m): 7:52am On Jul 11, 2015
I recently contacted my mum's friend in the US telling her to assist me in resetting. she sed it's not dat easy dat it takes 10yrs. then she will assist me with invitation letter.My question now is

What is the essence of the I'V letter
With the letter, will it be easier to get visa to reside in d US
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Jul 11, 2015
samiz:
thank you dude for your information..

You're welcome, dude.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Jul 11, 2015
tommykiwi:
Thank u..please who is the officer,is it the person dat will interview me or ?

Yes, you'll be interviewed by an American officer (or by an American adjudicator, but the difference is a technicality that probably isn't interesting to anyone except us).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Jul 11, 2015
gmacnoms:
I recently contacted my mum's friend in the US telling her to assist me in resetting. she sed it's not dat easy dat it takes 10yrs. then she will assist me with invitation letter.My question now is

What is the essence of the I'V letter
With the letter, will it be easier to get visa to reside in d US

Wow, so, basically, your mom's friend is going to break the law by helping you break the law, and you're asking me how to do it.

If you want to move permanently to the United States, you should do it legally. That is, a qualified person should file an I-130 petition on your behalf. Sneaking in with an invitation letter on a B1/B2 and just staying is 1. criminal 2. sneaky and 3. not smart. Please tell your friend's mother that I said that what she's planning to do is a crime with serious penalties.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emioga: 7:56am On Jul 11, 2015
Dear Visa Officer how do I renew an expired green card. Been in Nigeria for like ten years and I just got to know about my green card. the embassy in lagos is proving ignorance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:58am On Jul 11, 2015
papaking1:

I have an invitation to speak at a conference in California in September and i have an interview date in August. i have every intention to return after the conference because of my family and my job but i have been told that the petition by my dad will result in my b1 visa been denied, please how through is this?
thanks.

Not very true. As long as you can convince the interviewing officer that you intend to use the B1/B2 visa as intended, your pending immigrant petition will not prevent you from receiving a visa.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by papaking1(m): 8:00am On Jul 11, 2015
thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:00am On Jul 11, 2015
Emioga:
Dear Visa Officer how do I renew an expired green card. Been in Nigeria for like ten years and I just got to know about my green card. the embassy in lagos is proving ignorance.

If you have been outside the U.S. for more than 12 months, you have abandoned your status as a Legal Permanent Resident. So the expired card cannot be renewed. You may wish to apply for Returning Resident status, but to do so, you'll have to demonstrate that your prolonged absence has been involuntary and beyond your control. You can ask for an appointment by e-mailing LagosIV@state.gov. Here's the information:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR RETURNING RESIDENTS

Returning resident visa applicants are required to pay a non-refundable filing fee of US$180 and to submit a duly completed DS-117 form. The filing fee is NOT the visa application fee; this fee is for the determination of returning resident status. In the initial interview, please submit:

• Completed DS-117
• $180 application fee
• Proof of lawful permanent residence (i.e., form I-551 or “green card,” etc.)
• Nigerian passport
• Proof of travel outside of the U.S. (i.e., airline tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, etc.)
• Proof of ties to the U.S. (i.e., tax returns, pictures, school records, utility bills, etc.)
• Proof that prolonged stay in Nigeria was for reasons beyond the applicant’s control (i.e., medical incapacitation, death of family member, etc.)

Payment of the filing fee does not guarantee that returning resident status will be approved. The decision of status can only be made after a review of the returning resident application and supporting documents, and an interview by a consular officer.

If approved for returning resident status, the applicant will be instructed to complete the online DS-260 form and to make an appointment for a second interview. The applicant must still meet all other documentary and legal requirements to qualify for a new immigrant visa, including payment of the immigrant visa processing fee of US$205. At the second interview, please submit:

• $205 application fee
• Proof of lawful permanent residence (i.e., form I-551 or “green card,” etc.)
• Nigerian passport
• Two passport-size photos with a white background
• Birth certificate (original and photocopy)
• Marriage certificate, if married (original and photocopy)
• Medical report (from an accredited panel physician in Lagos)
• Police report
• I-864 Affidavit of Support from a sponsor in the United States

If returning resident status is not approved, a new immigrant visa petition may be able to be filed on behalf of the applicant.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:00am On Jul 11, 2015
papaking1:

thanks for the quick reply
thanks.

Not very true. As long as you can convince the interviewing officer that you intend to use the B1/B2 visa as intended, your pending immigrant petition will not prevent you from receiving a visa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.