Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,246 members, 7,829,454 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679576 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by emwye(m): 2:37pm On Jul 13, 2015
Morning VO,
Great job so far! I'm currently on my 1st H1-B visa which will be expiring in 2016. My employer recently gave the lawyers the go ahead to commence the green card application but then halted it by giving me the reason i paraphrase below
"in light of the current downturn in the industry, we would find it difficult to prove that we cannot fill your spot with a qualified American".
I'm not very sure that's valid excuse but my knowledge on such matters is limited. Could you please shed some light on this issue if you can. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
emwye:
Morning VO,
Great job so far! I'm currently on my 1st H1-B visa which will be expiring in 2016. My employer recently gave the lawyers the go ahead to commence the green card application but then halted it by giving me the reason i paraphrase below
"in light of the current downturn in the industry, we would find it difficult to prove that we cannot fill your spot with a qualified American".
I'm not very sure that's valid excuse but my knowledge on such matters is limited. Could you please shed some light on this issue if you can. Thanks.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sbsspaces(f): 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hello VO,good job u doing , may the LORD reward u. Pls I applied for visa b4 I got married wt a particular date of births for my parent where it was stated in d form,but I was refused. I re-applied after a yr den I was married but d mistake I made was dat i inserted Anoda yr(dob) for my parents.and we were all refused myself , hubby nd son. Don't knw if dat was d reason and how can I correct it. Cos I want to reapply again. Thnx in anticipation. God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:04pm On Jul 13, 2015
Sbsspaces:
Hello VO,good job u doing , may the LORD reward u. Pls I applied for visa b4 I got married wt a particular date of births for my parent where it was stated in d form,but I was refused. I re-applied after a yr den I was married but d mistake I made was dat i inserted Anoda yr(dob) for my parents.and we were all refused myself , hubby nd son. Don't knw if dat was d reason and how can I correct it. Cos I want to reapply again. Thnx in anticipation. God bless.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by colored(m): 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
Good afternoon! can a citizen of the US file an immigration petition on behalf of his nephew? and also how can a green card holder who stayed outside the US for over 20 years return back to the US to live permanently again?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emioga: 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
@VO this site https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ is temporarily unavailable
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by okoloto: 7:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
VisaOfficer:

As long as they married AFTER the lady submitted her DV entry, she can include her spouse and stepchildren in her application. If the children hope to travel as part of the case, they must come to be interviewed with the parents, and their visas must be issued no later than Sept. 30. Otherwise, the case will be closed, and they will have to file separate petitions for the children from the United States.

Thanks for the information. My last question is, I hope if my friend presents a Nigerian passport in Benin Republic if won't be a problem. Will he be required to go to Nigerian embassy to verify most of the documents or attend to his case as he resides and does business in Nigeria?
Will there be financial capability requirement as they doesn't have anybody in the US. if yes, like how much should he have in his account for the trip. Thanks once more
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 9:34pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hi VO,
My sister n my mum were granted visas i 2013.Upon collection of the passports,my sister lied to my mum that her's(mum's) visa was denied.She also refused to give my mum her passports till now.I recently found out that my mum was granted a visa because she confided in a close friend who in turn told me.My question is this,is there anyway ur office can come into this case to get my mum her visa by summoning my sister?Is it a crime for someone to seize someone else's visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
Dear vo,

Thank you so much for the response.

But now that this is the 7th month that our case is still pending with USCIS, will it still take several other months with the NVC? oR we should be expecting that the case will be concluded in another 2months.

I just missed my husband so much, the experience is not easy for us at all.

Please I await your response.

Best regards.

VisaOfficer:

As long as the names match (that is, Jane Smith and Jane Elizabeth Smith instead of Jane Smith and Mary Catherine Jones) it won't be a problem.

It generally takes around six to eight month for USCIS to process a case, but that's just a general guideline. You might want to reach out to USCIS and ask for a status update.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DV2015APPLICANT: 11:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
Dear VO ,

Can a post (embassy) reschedule an interview date , which was already set by KCC and sent as second notification letter to the DV applicant , for some reason , even if the applicant never requested that?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blinkdr: 11:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
So is it usually done before the 60days
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by akatonero(m): 12:15am On Jul 14, 2015
winnie123:
Dear vo,

But now that this is the 7th month that our case is still pending with USCIS, will it still take several other months with the NVC? oR we should be expecting that the case will be concluded in another 2months.

From USCIS to NVC it takes one month to pay your affidavit of support they will then review it with two weeks or soo then which you can now pay your IV fee then you send your documents as requested which will now take another 4-6 weeks to review if everything seems ok they will schedule an interview.

Best regards.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by toju: 12:52am On Jul 14, 2015
hello Sir,
Please i need to update my profile on ustraveldocs.com visa appointment, i mistakenly used the wrong date format i just found out today and my interveiw is on thursday. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 14, 2015
Hello,
I just returned from nigeria on my second visit to my K1 beneficiary. our petition is currently at Lagos in ready state. I have some questions about the visits.

We visited for about 5 days together in Ghana in March 2015 right before I filed the petition. I just visited this July for about 8 days in Nigeria with his family but stayed at a hotel. From reading on various forums that nigeria likes to see the USC interacting with the family, we have a some pics together with the mom and sisters and bother. The dad was in USA on a medical visa during my nigeria trip. Will this not reflect well on our K-1 interview? At this point, I feel like I am trying so hard to prove our relationship that it is frustrating. Should I meet the dad in the USA just to prove that all my future inlaws know about me and accept me? Will the collective 16 days together be enough for convince the consulate that we are a genuine couple? I can see the love in our faces on the pics but i am scared that that will not be enough. Me and my family will be devastated if my fiance is denied, especially me.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Motunbaby: 6:04am On Jul 14, 2015
Hello vo, thanks for this platform...please I need an urgent response. My husband has an immigrant visa petition process ongoing and our priority date is very near (Dec) precisely, but we have been in the us for 3months now but the 6mnths grace will elapse by Oct.....should we stay till december for our priority date..or what do we do?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:15am On Jul 14, 2015
colored:
Good afternoon! can a citizen of the US file an immigration petition on behalf of his nephew? and also how can a green card holder who stayed outside the US for over 20 years return back to the US to live permanently again?

No, there is no immigration category for nephews or nieces.

After 20 years, chances are that someone will need to file a new immigration petition on the person's behalf. The person is free to apply for Returning Resident status, but my guess is that after 20 years the application wouldn't be approved. I've attached the instructions, though.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:17am On Jul 14, 2015
okoloto:

Thanks for the information. My last question is, I hope if my friend presents a Nigerian passport in Benin Republic if won't be a problem. Will he be required to go to Nigerian embassy to verify most of the documents or attend to his case as he resides and does business in Nigeria?
Will there be financial capability requirement as they doesn't have anybody in the US. if yes, like how much should he have in his account for the trip. Thanks once more

If the person resides in Benin, there shouldn't be a problem if he interviews there as well.

There's no financial capability requirement for the Diversity Visa program, as the assumption is that the principal applicant is educated enough to find a job once in the States. However, they will have to list the address in the U.S. where they intend to live when they arrive -- otherwise the visa can't be approved (if they qualify for it).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:21am On Jul 14, 2015
veecee29:
Hi VO,
My sister n my mum were granted visas i 2013.Upon collection of the passports,my sister lied to my mum that her's(mum's) visa was denied.She also refused to give my mum her passports till now.I recently found out that my mum was granted a visa because she confided in a close friend who in turn told me.My question is this,is there anyway ur office can come into this case to get my mum her visa by summoning my sister?Is it a crime for someone to seize someone else's visa?

Well, it certainly isn't very nice of your sister (no offense). But we're not law enforcement agents; we don't have the power ourselves to prosecute a Nigerian citizen for committing a crime in Nigeria. Perhaps your mother would want to inform Nigerian law enforcement (or at least remind your sister that that's a possibility)? And your mother is free to apply for a new visa, of course.

May I ask what your sister did with your mother's visa? We would really, really like to cancel the visa so it can't be misused by nefarious persons, please.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:22am On Jul 14, 2015
winnie123:
Dear vo,

Best regards.

I can't give you a firm timeline; there are too many factors involved with every case. It's always valuable to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:22am On Jul 14, 2015
DV2015APPLICANT:
Dear VO ,

Can a post (embassy) reschedule an interview date , which was already set by KCC and sent as second notification letter to the DV applicant , for some reason , even if the applicant never requested that?

Yes, for instance, if our computer systems crash or a public holiday is suddenly declared. Why, what happened?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:23am On Jul 14, 2015
toju:
hello Sir,
Please i need to update my profile on ustraveldocs.com visa appointment, i mistakenly used the wrong date format i just found out today and my interveiw is on thursday. thanks

Please e-mail support@ustraveldocs.com .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:25am On Jul 14, 2015
tomyka81:
Hello,
I just returned from nigeria on my second visit to my K1 beneficiary. our petition is currently at Lagos in ready state. I have some questions about the visits.

We visited for about 5 days together in Ghana in March 2015 right before I filed the petition. I just visited this July for about 8 days in Nigeria with his family but stayed at a hotel. From reading on various forums that nigeria likes to see the USC interacting with the family, we have a some pics together with the mom and sisters and bother. The dad was in USA on a medical visa during my nigeria trip. Will this not reflect well on our K-1 interview? At this point, I feel like I am trying so hard to prove our relationship that it is frustrating. Should I meet the dad in the USA just to prove that all my future inlaws know about me and accept me? Will the collective 16 days together be enough for convince the consulate that we are a genuine couple? I can see the love in our faces on the pics but i am scared that that will not be enough. Me and my family will be devastated if my fiance is denied, especially me.

Without actually interviewing your fiance myself, I have no way of answering your questions. Every relationship is different. If your fiance can credibly discuss your relationship, chances are that he will obtain a visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:27am On Jul 14, 2015
Motunbaby:
Hello vo, thanks for this platform...please I need an urgent response. My husband has an immigrant visa petition process ongoing and our priority date is very near (Dec) precisely, but we have been in the us for 3months now but the 6mnths grace will elapse by Oct.....should we stay till december for our priority date..or what do we do?

You should return to Nigeria in a timely fashion. It's only possible to adjust status while in the U.S. if your immigration case is already current and eligible to be scheduled for an interview. In your case, it sounds like your six months of non-immigrant permission will expire before your immigration case is current.

That said, if by some chance the case becomes current earlier than you expect, you might as well go ahead and file the I-485 to see if you'll be approved to adjust status while in the U.S. Here are the full instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/adjustment-status
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Motunbaby: 6:51am On Jul 14, 2015
Thanks for your quick response, very grateful pls just want to know what our chances are if we stay till December when an interview will be scheduled, just in case it doesn't happen before December
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:00am On Jul 14, 2015
Motunbaby:
Thanks for your quick response, very grateful pls just want to know what our chances are if we stay till December when an interview will be scheduled, just in case it doesn't happen before December

Probably very low, as at that point you'll be in the United States illegally. USCIS tends not to approve applications from people who are actually breaking the law. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Motunbaby: 7:03am On Jul 14, 2015
We have already been asked to make payments for the immigrant visa....what do you think about this,
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:09am On Jul 14, 2015
Motunbaby:
We have already been asked to make payments for the immigrant visa....what do you think about this,

I think know that if you stay in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa for more than six months, you will be there illegally. And also that you can't file the I-485 until your immigration case is current. And that USCIS is very unlikely to approve an I-485 application if the person who filed it is unlawfully present in the United States.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 9:40am On Jul 14, 2015
Well, it certainly isn't very nice of your sister (no offense). But we're not law enforcement agents; we don't have the power ourselves to prosecute a Nigerian citizen for committing a crime in Nigeria. Perhaps your mother would want to inform Nigerian law enforcement (or at least remind your sister that that's a possibility)? And your mother is free to apply for a new visa, of course.

May I ask what your sister did with your mother's visa? We would really, really like to cancel the visa so it can't be misused by nefarious persons, please.

THANKS for the reply.She just kept it with her while she has been traveling to the U.S with hers(sister's).Seriously i don't know why she is this mean.Even if we go to a law enforcement agent,we have no evidence to prove our case.So i was thinking ur office can cancel or atleast prevent my sister from traveling to the states until she gives my mum her passports.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 9:41am On Jul 14, 2015
VisaOfficer:

THANKS for the reply.She just kept it with her while she has been traveling to the U.S with hers(sister's).Seriously i don't know why she is this mean.Even if we go to a law enforcement agent,we have no evidence to prove our case.So i was thinking ur office can cancel or atleast prevent my sister from traveling to the states until she gives my mum her passports.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:00am On Jul 14, 2015
veecee29:

That would be a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Koribe: 11:02am On Jul 14, 2015
Good morning VO,
I just checked the status of my visa on the ceac website and received a message that it is in *administrative processing " and might take several weeks to process.
I am the guy who you spoke to on July 11, ( I accurately identified you after the other consular officer asked me to guess!)
From my previous visits to this site, I know you have clarified a couple of cases where the ceac site showed administrative processing.
I am hoping you can help me as well.
I know you have previously said that given that the hardware crash has been resolved you will no longer resolve specific cases on this site.
However, I have emailed both lagosiv and ustraveldocs without any response thus far.
Given that my initial interview was rescheduled from June 19 to July 11, seeing this notice about administrative processing has me worried
Can you assist?

Thank you.

( By the way, your infectious smile gave you away!!!)

Thanks once again.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:41am On Jul 14, 2015
Koribe:
Good morning VO,
I just checked the status of my visa on the ceac website and received a message that it is in *administrative processing " and might take several weeks to process.
I am the guy who you spoke to on July 11, ( I accurately identified you after the other consular officer asked me to guess!)
From my previous visits to this site, I know you have clarified a couple of cases where the ceac site showed administrative processing.
I am hoping you can help me as well.
I know you have previously said that given that the hardware crash has been resolved you will no longer resolve specific cases on this site.
However, I have emailed both lagosiv and ustraveldocs without any response thus far.
Given that my initial interview was rescheduled from June 19 to July 11, seeing this notice about administrative processing has me worried
Can you assist?

Thank you.

( By the way, your infectious smile gave you away!!!)

Thanks once again.

I think the computers just say "administrative processing" as a default when they don't know what else to say. Your case has been authorized and is in the print queue -- the visa should be printed today. smiley

Thank you for the kind words! Didn't you also see me looking stern? I spent some time looking stern that day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.