Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (821253 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 12, 2016
Thank u Mr/Mrs justwise. I never said I wasn't goin to pay for my bills. D question I asked was on d baby's bill and not my personal (mother's) bill.

Thank u

justwise:

This VO and the previous one stated clearly and I quote: any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government., like I said before you have read from both of them and it's now your decision to either pay for your child delivery or leave it for American tax payers to do that for you. Many Nigerian women gave birth in America and pay for all the costs involved so you should be thinking along that line.

Please let's not derail this thread with this issue any longer.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 12, 2016
tobidancer:
Good morning our VO, and happy new year to you. I have some questions...
Firstly, myself and my kids were granted a B1B2 visa and we have visited the US on couple of times and we never overstayed. Now, if we intend to spend like 4 months in the US on visit, and we want to avoid staying that long with a family friend, or paying for a hotel.
Is it legal for us to rent a house/apartment for the period of the 4 months, and also can my kids attend public school legally for the 4 months period.
Actually, the truth is that I planned to use the 4 months period to take a complete rest from all my activities and I can only do that away from home.
However, I have enough funds to cover all my expenses for the period, and ii will never ever overstay.

Renting an apartment or house on a B1/B2 is not illegal - but it is doubtful that you are going to find such a short-term lease. Also, you cannot legally enroll your children in US schools unless you are paying US taxes.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tobidancer: 1:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
LagosNIV:

Renting an apartment or house on a B1/B2 is not illegal - but it is doubtful that you are going to find such a short-term lease. Also, you cannot legally enroll your children in US schools unless you are paying US taxes.
Thank you sir my VO. My kids are ages 6 and 4, and i wish they could attend school for this short period. How can I go about it ? Or am I permitted to pay US taxes to enable them attend the schools legally ? Or is there any provision for them to attend a private paid school ? I don't mind paying the US taxes, if possible, to enable them attend school considering they are still little kids.
Thanks and God bless
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 12, 2016
tobidancer:

Thank you sir my VO. My kids are ages 6 and 4, and i wish they could attend school for this short period. How can I go about it ? Or am I permitted to pay US taxes to enable them attend the schools legally ? Or is there any provision for them to attend a private paid school ? I don't mind paying the US taxes, if possible, to enable them attend school considering they are still little kids.
Thanks and God bless

Under the terms of the B1/B2 you are there as a tourist and cannot send your children to school. You can apply for F1 student visas for them, but this is to complete a program. Based on the situation you described, there is no way to legally make this work so that you can go on vacation for 4 months and have your children go to school.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by LadyGuinivere: 3:35pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hello @LagosNiv. We miss u on our thread
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by birg84: 6:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hi VO.
Am a first timer, though been a silent reader, intend to vacation in New York for like 12 days in July, however, my passport expires in August, Should i go ahead and apply with the passport or do a renewal now before applying?
Many thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Jengem: 12:14am On Jan 13, 2016
Hello OP

Nice one with this thread

Is there a reason the US Embassy treats Nigerians like crap

Why are Nigerians made to stand throughout the whole waiting process to see a CO

A woman almost fainted at the Lagos consulate today

People made to stand for hours...

Both outside and inside...why is it like this?

Especially when there are chairs inside.

Does the $160 payment not entitle them to a little human dignity?

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 13, 2016
birg84:
Hi VO.
Am a first timer, though been a silent reader, intend to vacation in New York for like 12 days in July, however, my passport expires in August, Should i go ahead and apply with the passport or do a renewal now before applying?
Many thanks.

Yes, the passport should have at least 6 months left to expiration at the time the visa is issued. You should have plenty of time to get the new passport before your visa interview.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 13, 2016
Jengem:
Hello OP

Nice one with this thread

Is there a reason the US Embassy treats Nigerians like crap

Why are Nigerians made to stand throughout the whole waiting process to see a CO

A woman almost fainted at the Lagos consulate today

People made to stand for hours...

Both outside and inside...why is it like this?

Especially when there are chairs inside.

Does the $160 payment not entitle them to a little human dignity?

Nigerian are not "treated like crap," as you put it. People stand throughout the process because this makes it faster for everyone and allows us to reduce your wait times - both to get an interview date and throughout the day of the interview. The current system in which people are constantly standing and moving through lines allows us to almost double the number of applicants that are seen.

I can assure you that at Disneyland you will get the same treatment - but you'll be standing for much longer.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ifunanya84: 7:27am On Jan 13, 2016
Good Morning VO,
Am pregnant and wish to apply for a B1/B2 visa for child birth purposes. My husband and kids is also applying with me but for Vacation purposes. Can we schedule an interview together?
We have been denied as a family before even if we were truthfully with all the questions. And we always travelled as a family to UK. All the while we applied for visit in Sacramento, California because we have a relation there. But this time am using a hospital in Los Angeles and am not staying with my relation, my hubby and kids are also coming to Los Angeles too. Is it necessary for us to still write that we have a relative in USA?
And my hubby went for interview alone in 2013 and was also denied and a very lengthy interview.
What do you advise. Do I go for my interview alone or we go as a family.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FrontPageLawyer(m): 9:24am On Jan 13, 2016
Dear Visa officer.

Sincerely, we appreciate your interest here.

Posting this for the interest of the majority because I feel concerned with comments here especially that of @Jengem

Don't you consider it a harsh decision to adjudged that an applicant is ineligible because you assumed he/she has failed an oral interview conducted within few minutes? I still believe visa officers shouldn't base most of their decisions more on applicants’ answers to their questions.

We understand document fraud is rampant and visa officers cannot rely on local documents. Why not adopt document verification by a professional after an applicant has been interviewed in person, same way it is done at the German and UK consulates? a decision can then be reached after 3-10 working days to allow time for rigorous vetting, background and security checks.

If an applicant is found wanting for wilful misrepresentation and fraud, then a life ban should be immediately imposed on them. I strongly believe this policy will help deter intending applicants with the intention of submitting fraudulent documents.

The interview is not enough to reject genuine applicants due to different factors and it has never helped in curbing visa fraud in its entirety.

Lastly. What is the rationale in giving a generic rejection letter (214B) to unsuccessful applicants because I understand each application is treated on its own merit and every visa officer also must have reasons why he/she is approving or refusing an applicant?

In the law court; for different offences, there are different charges, penalties and punishments. For instance " Let's assume Mr. XYZ visited the consulate in 2012 and was rejected under section 214B because he has no family ties. Two years later, Mr. XYZ got married with a child and was still adjudged ineligible under section 214B. In 2015, Mr XYZ bought a house, reapplied and still got rejected with same letter. How then do you expect Mr XYZ to know where he's gone wrong with this same letters on three different occasions?

The UK, Germany, Canada will always give detailed reasons for every rejection to allow genuine applicants readjust and restrategise.

In conclusion and my own opinion, the generic rejection letter is not enough. Each applicant needs to know precisely why he/she is getting a rejection under section 214B.

Many thanks and remain blessed for your cooperation.

9 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cretin: 11:10am On Jan 13, 2016
so, my wife applied 14months ago for visa and was denied...the name on her passport was her maiden name.
last year we applied for the change of name on passport, and did a uk trip together as a couple last yr {applied together]

now this year we want to visit the usa, i logged into her old profile and the old name isnt editable, thus am wondering if i shud create a new profile bearing her new nAME N PASSPORT NUMBER, or i continue with her old profile and send a msg to the visa people using the feedback menu.

2ndly she has distant cousins{2nd & 3rd cousins} in the usa, we are wondering if these qualify as relatives per say, and if she should acknowledge them in the form
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ori777: 12:07pm On Jan 13, 2016
Dear VO, thank you for taking time out to respond to enquiries on this thread.
I scheduled an appointment today and would not mind rescheduling to an earlier date. Is this possible? I read somewhere that date changes are not possible anymore. Is this true?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
ifunanya84:
Good Morning VO,
Am pregnant and wish to apply for a B1/B2 visa for child birth purposes. My husband and kids is also applying with me but for Vacation purposes. Can we schedule an interview together?
We have been denied as a family before even if we were truthfully with all the questions. And we always travelled as a family to UK. All the while we applied for visit in Sacramento, California because we have a relation there. But this time am using a hospital in Los Angeles and am not staying with my relation, my hubby and kids are also coming to Los Angeles too. Is it necessary for us to still write that we have a relative in USA?
And my hubby went for interview alone in 2013 and was also denied and a very lengthy interview.
What do you advise. Do I go for my interview alone or we go as a family.

Applying individually or as a group is ultimately up to you. During the interview, you will state what your purpose of travel is and be able to explain the situation.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 13, 2016
FrontPageLawyer:
Dear Visa officer.

Sincerely, we appreciate your interest here.

Posting this for the interest of the majority because I feel concerned with comments here especially that of @Jengem

Don't you consider it a harsh decision to adjudged that an applicant is ineligible because you assumed he/she has failed an oral interview conducted within few minutes? I still believe visa officers shouldn't base most of their decisions more on applicants’ answers to their questions.

We understand document fraud is rampant and visa officers cannot rely on local documents. Why not adopt document verification by a professional after an applicant has been interviewed in person, same way it is done at the German and UK consulates? a decision can then be reached after 3-10 working days to allow time for rigorous vetting, background and security checks.

If an applicant is found wanting for wilful misrepresentation and fraud, then a life ban should be immediately imposed on them. I strongly believe this policy will help deter intending applicants with the intention of submitting fraudulent documents.

The interview is not enough to reject genuine applicants due to different factors and it has never helped in curbing visa fraud in its entirety.

Lastly. What is the rationale in giving a generic rejection letter (214B) to unsuccessful applicants because I understand each application is treated on its own merit and every visa officer also must have reasons why he/she is approving or refusing an applicant?

In the law court; for different offences, there are different charges, penalties and punishments. For instance " Let's assume Mr. XYZ visited the consulate in 2012 and was rejected under section 214B because he has no family ties. Two years later, Mr. XYZ got married with a child and was still adjudged ineligible under section 214B. In 2015, Mr XYZ bought a house, reapplied and still got rejected with same letter. How then do you expect Mr XYZ to know where he's gone wrong with this same letters on three different occasions?

The UK, Germany, Canada will always give detailed reasons for every rejection to allow genuine applicants readjust and restrategise.

In conclusion and my own opinion, the generic rejection letter is not enough. Each applicant needs to know precisely why he/she is getting a rejection under section 214B.

Many thanks and remain blessed for your cooperation.

The reality of the situation is that you are trying to enter a foreign country. A foreign, sovereign country. The United States' lawmakers have determined the criteria that foreigners must overcome in order to be granted a visa - so it's not a personal decision. We also don't decide how we are going to make those judgements - again, this is controlled by our lawmakers.

The U.S. Congress has determined that this is how our country will carry out the visa application process.

I am sure that many 'genuine' applicants do in fact get refused. What I think many people fail to understand is that this is not an exercising in telling the truth, per se. If you are caught in a lie, you will likely be refused, yes. But telling the truth does not guarantee admission. Again, you must meet the criteria put out by the U.S. Congress under the Immigration and Nationalization Act.

We don't have time to give out personalized letters as to which section of 214(b), which is fairly lengthy, an applicant does not qualify under. Nor is it our job to coach individuals through the visa process. Contrary to what may be believed, no one has a 'right' to enter the United States except American citizens.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2016
ori777:
Dear VO, thank you for taking time out to respond to enquiries on this thread.
I scheduled an appointment today and would not mind rescheduling to an earlier date. Is this possible? I read somewhere that date changes are not possible anymore. Is this true?

Thank you.

Scheduling is handled by a third party - you will have to use the contact information on the scheduling site to reach those individuals and find out about rescheduling an appointment.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
cretin:
so, my wife applied 14months ago for visa and was denied...the name on her passport was her maiden name.
last year we applied for the change of name on passport, and did a uk trip together as a couple last yr {applied together]

now this year we want to visit the usa, i logged into her old profile and the old name isnt editable, thus am wondering if i shud create a new profile bearing her new nAME N PASSPORT NUMBER, or i continue with her old profile and send a msg to the visa people using the feedback menu.

2ndly she has distant cousins{2nd & 3rd cousins} in the usa, we are wondering if these qualify as relatives per say, and if she should acknowledge them in the form

It sounds like you consider those cousins relatives, so list them as such. As far as editing a profile, you will have to use the contact information on the application website to reach someone who can assist you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
The VOs understand that not all Nigerians are dishonest or fraudulent, that's why 94,102 of the 158,914 visas applied for in 2015 were approved.
I would also point out that the amount of applicants we were able to interview in 2015 increased by 141% as a result of changes that were made to our intake procedures (which include standing and constantly moving through the line).

We often advise applicants not to re-apply for at least 90 days. But like you, they are adults capable of making decisions for themselves. Why, if you are refused a visa because you are not qualified this week, should you re-apply immediately to interview again next week?

I understand that you may be frustrated because you do not fully understand why your visa was refused, but if the United States is truly as terrible as you are stating, I see no reason why you should be requesting a visa to visit.

8 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FrontPageLawyer(m): 4:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
We commend your magnanimity for creating time to attend to intricate questions here despite your busy schedule.

We cannot change your visa policy and moreover you didn't enact nor created those laws, but the point is, The US government should revisit those laws especially the refusal letter to be more detailed to serve as a guide for genuine applicants the same way it is done by the UK and Canadian Government.

Remain Blessed.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by hormohlawlah: 4:30pm On Jan 13, 2016
Hi i have been expecting a mail back from the consular office on k1 visa, i got a 221 (g) form that requested i shd get i and my fiance pictures and facebook chats, which i have gotten and i replied on when next should i come for my interview but still havent gotten a respond yet...please what is my fate.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by justwise(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13, 2016
@All

Please lets not derail this thread with complains about how American embassy run their embassies in Nigeria or treat Nigerians because that is not the purpose of this thread. Direct such complain to American embassy or start another thread for that.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by profkehinde: 11:54pm On Jan 13, 2016
Dear Mr VO,
I greet you and I have been studying this forum for quite a while, and couldn't figure out I could really ask a question until just recently where I discovered I could sign up and ask questions.
Yes, I am a professor of Internal Medicine from one of the Nigerian Teaching Hospital and I will like to ask u this question.
My wife who is a teacher recently ( in December 27th, 2015 ) travelled to the US with my last child who is just 5 years old to celebrate the christmas with a friend of hers in the US.
I actually bought their flight ticket ( delta airlines ) where her return back to Nigeria is supposed to be Jan 25th.
Besides, she suddenly decided to stay longer during this visit, probably she planned to take longer rest. Her intention has been that she will spend around 5 months before coming back to Nigeria, she was given 6 months at the POE.
Based on the above, I phoned the airline about changing her return data to May 2016, but the airlines refused, they said her ticket type does not support such lengthy extension.
Since my wife has decided to stay till May, and she might have to forfeit her return flight, meaning I will have to pay for their ONE WAY ticket back home in May, 2016.
However, I intended visiting her in a week time, right in the US where I plan to spend just 4 weeks.
My question:
Won't I have issues at the POE if asked why my wife and child still remain in the US and why she decided to forfeit her return flight. I hope you understand my question sir. Remember her i-94 indicated she has to return back to Nigeria around June, 2016. Won't I have problems at the POE as why she suddenly choosed to forfeit her return flight and to get her return date changed or extended
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by nupital: 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2016
Dear Visa Officer,

Thank you for this opportunity.

I would like to apply for a B1/B2 visa for child birth. Please how many months bank statement does the embassy accept? 3 months or 6 months?

Regards,

Nupital
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by koczee: 12:43am On Jan 15, 2016
Dear VO,
Please is there available appointment date for second week of February?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
profkehinde:
Dear Mr VO,
I greet you and I have been studying this forum for quite a while, and couldn't figure out I could really ask a question until just recently where I discovered I could sign up and ask questions.
Yes, I am a professor of Internal Medicine from one of the Nigerian Teaching Hospital and I will like to ask u this question.
My wife who is a teacher recently ( in December 27th, 2015 ) travelled to the US with my last child who is just 5 years old to celebrate the christmas with a friend of hers in the US.
I actually bought their flight ticket ( delta airlines ) where her return back to Nigeria is supposed to be Jan 25th.
Besides, she suddenly decided to stay longer during this visit, probably she planned to take longer rest. Her intention has been that she will spend around 5 months before coming back to Nigeria, she was given 6 months at the POE.
Based on the above, I phoned the airline about changing her return data to May 2016, but the airlines refused, they said her ticket type does not support such lengthy extension.
Since my wife has decided to stay till May, and she might have to forfeit her return flight, meaning I will have to pay for their ONE WAY ticket back home in May, 2016.
However, I intended visiting her in a week time, right in the US where I plan to spend just 4 weeks.
My question:
Won't I have issues at the POE if asked why my wife and child still remain in the US and why she decided to forfeit her return flight. I hope you understand my question sir. Remember her i-94 indicated she has to return back to Nigeria around June, 2016. Won't I have problems at the POE as why she suddenly choosed to forfeit her return flight and to get her return date changed or extended
Thanks

If your wife and child stayed much longer than anticipated and failed to get on their return flight could it cause you problems? Of course it could. It likely will. Just read that question back and think about how an immigration officer would look at that case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.