Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (65088 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Frenchkiss564: 10:55am On Jul 03, 2014
tonychristopher:

but why do most of them claim they aint yoruba and they dont speak yoruba but ijebu just like eguns...maybe you will tell me that benin is yoruba also..cos i understand benin and I understand yoruba and i have not seen much similarity in both..they are different...just take the basic words like come,go,food,god,etc...they aint same in both languages
i only hear the bolded on nairaland by igbos trying desperately to turn the ijebus to another ikwere, the ikwere pill must be hard for you guys to swallow. The most respected yoruba politician and founder of egbe omo odouduwa, chief awolowo is an ijebu man, their is ijebu-ife, what y'all dont understand is that yoruba is an ethnicity not a tribe
, an ethnic is a conglomeration of tribes hence we hav the ijebu, egba, oyo, awori e.t.c as tribes

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by MarilynNash(f): 11:22am On Jul 03, 2014
Morgan567: Chao, I just noticed that edo guys in the house did not recourse to history, rather they choose to curse and swear. Benin guys, tell us your history, enough of the shakara and curses, Oya, open floor.
Shut up. Didn't you read Ayewosa's post? Is that not history, did he swear or curse? That was the exact story my father told me and the place where the crown princes choose their name is my family's house. Oduduwa came from Bini and not the sky, which one sounds reasonable to you?

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by balash(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2014
Marilyn_Nash: Shut up. Didn't you read Ayewosa's post? Is that not history, did he swear or curse? That was the exact story my father told me and the place where the crown princes choose their name is my family's house. Oduduwa came from Bini and not the sky, which one sounds reasonable to you?
Lmao U Para'ing seriously O Marilyn
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by PAPAAFRICA: 11:47am On Jul 03, 2014
All of this is speculation, oral history is definitly a challenging form of history.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 12:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
Rexxie:
wao!!! Gooddy him!that ancient tradition cant possibly stand in this jet age...gotta know n see who taking after,of cos.

It can, but i think the prince did all he could do to broke it because of edo state election, he's a big supporter of PDP and maybe party thought they could use him to get his father's support hence the reason he had to perform some rituals and welcome to prince home, it was a big celebration anyway.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Arosa(m): 1:02pm On Jul 03, 2014
The Origin of the Ijebus:
Ijebu was a Yoruba kingdom in pre-colonial Nigeria. It formed around the fifteenth century on the orders of the Oba of Benin. According to legend, its ruling dynasty was founded by Obanta of Ile-Ife, who received the order from the Benin Oba to establish the kingdom. Scholars today have also identified the influence of the Benin Empire in the court art and ritual of the Ijebu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijebu_Kingdom

Olokun was a Bini man. Ijebus in the house who is your daddy?

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by MacLovington(m): 1:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
brownlord:

He sent a word to his father, that is time for him to ascend throne, and the father also replied him by sending native chalk and salt to him saying "just as you are enjoying life, same with me"

It's true Oba does not see the heir to the throne, but the jinx have been broken now, the crown prince and the present Oba did that I think in 2012

Correction:

I have posted this b4 on another NL thread.

The crown prince and the Oba do see. There was never a jinx. It was mere pragmatism to broaden the prince's "education" and preparation for the crown.

In any case the Crown Prince only began to live outside the wall surrounding Benin about 500 years back.
And it came about like this:

There was a nobleman and warrior called Iken. He lived at Uselu, which was a different town back then but has now grown to meet Benin proper.

The Oba requested Iken to go to war in Yorubaland. He was already relatively "old" and had no sons.
He made only one request: that His Majesty should please ensure his household was well looked after as he had no son. It's like Iken had a premonition.

The Oba assured him that the Crown Prince no less would personally look after his household in his absence.

But Iken died in the war.

As a permanent memorial to Iken the Oba decreed that every crown prince upon reaching maturity should live at Iken's palace until becoming king. And so it is till today.

Oba Akenzua II (educated at King's College Lagos) was secretary to his father (Oba Eweka II). Until Eweka II departed in 1933.

That Oba & Crown prince don't see is a total myth.

Many of my people are dukes of the Kingdom and palace chiefs.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
MacLovington: .

Correction:

The crown prince and the Oba do see. There was never a jinx. It was mere pragmatism to broaden the prince's "education" and preparation for the crown.

In any case the Crown Prince only began to live outside the wall surrounding Benin about 500 years back.

There was a nobleman and warrior called Iken. He lived at Uselu, which was a different town back then but has now grown to meet Benin proper.

The Oba requested Iken to go to war in Yorubaland. He was already relatively "old" and had no sons.
He made only one request: that His Majesty should please ensure his household was well looked after as he had no son. It's like Iken had premonition.

The Oba assured him that the Crown Prince no less would personally look after his household in his absence.

As a permanent memorial to Iken the Oba decreed that every crown prince upon reaching maturity should live at Iken's palace until becoming king. And so it is till today.

Oba Akenzua II (educated at King's College Lagos) was secretary to his father (Oba Eweka II). Until Eweka II departed in 1933.

This is a new version, well i'm not going to argue on this as i have little or no knowledge but i doubt if the crown prince and the oba do see, except you can explain the meaning of what happened 2012 when the crown prince was welcome to the palace and a big celebration this cause.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by bokohalal(m): 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2014
Where are Oruns of the other Oduduwa 's children in Ife?
Is there an Orun Oba Ilesa?

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Arosa(m): 3:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
bokohalal: Where are Oruns of the other Oduduwa 's children in Ife?
Is there an Orun Oba Ilesa?

I hope you know the implication of that? grin grin grin
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by TonySpike: 3:44pm On Jul 03, 2014
shymexx:

Stop going on a tangent.

Where did the Ogisos drop from? Jupiter or Nibiru, since the folklore about Oduduwa is funny to you?

And all evidences, including the academic source about excavations by archaeologists show that Bini kings were actually buried in Ife. Can you please provide alternate sources to back up your claims?

Shymmex, there's a great tendency that the Ogisos may be related to the expelled Hyksos. A close look at some Bini names appear like 13th/14th dynasty Egyptian names. This is however a theory. If there's indeed a foremost relationship between Yorubas and the Bini , it might have existed back at their original civilisation in ancient Egypt. My opinion though...
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Ubenedictus(m): 3:49pm On Jul 03, 2014
macof:

Before Oba ovoranmwen(I hope I got the spelling) all obas were buried in Ife

Oba Adolo was the last in 1888

Alaafin's records are not complete...Alaafin has missed out the important fact that the so called slave son was Adimula, the first son of Akanbi, son of Oduduwa
and also that Oranmiyan returned to take his place on the throne of Oduduwa and his family continued the line till today

So don't try to correct me on what you know absolutely nothing about

it is so interesting that you claim to be omniscient, you know all thing thus you don't need correction!

Your knowledge is so great that you have the correct records which suprisingly the alaafin doesn't have! Your knowledge is so outstanding that you know where the remains of the obas of bini are and you claim your knowledge is much profound than that of the obas of bini.

Weldone you're omnipresence!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 4:04pm On Jul 03, 2014
tonychristopher:

but why do most of them claim they aint yoruba and they dont speak yoruba but ijebu just like eguns...maybe you will tell me that benin is yoruba also..cos i understand benin and I understand yoruba and i have not seen much similarity in both..they are different...just take the basic words like come,go,food,god,etc...they aint same in both languages

Bro, you are Igbo you should tap small sense into this matter...Aniocha language in Delta is Igbo but is it the same with Umueri Igbos in Anambra??

I am Ekiti, I can't speak Ekiti but I speak Oyo

The language u normally hear as Yoruba in movies, city streets, schools etc. are what I would say semi-pidgin of the Oyo language...as the Oyo empire grew in power and influence...many people picked up their language.

But if Ijebu says 100words, Oyo man would most likely understand 75 of it

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 4:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
sleekman: ur lies and falsehoods no get part 2. Benin art predates Ife art. Bini's were d first 2 start bronze and brass casting cos they 1st came in contact with d portuguese in Nigeria. Prior 2 dat they made carvings and molding. Benin city had d 1st church in Nigeria from d portuguese missionaries that came in d 16th century. That's why Benin chiefs wear a cassock. "The King of Benin can in a single day make 20,000 men ready for war, and, if need be, 180,000, and because of this he has great influence among all the surrounding peoples. . . . His authority stretches over many cities, towns and villages. There is no King thereabouts who, in the possession of so many beautiful cities and towns, is his equal."

—Olfert Dapper, 

ok, pardon me. I was bias there
I recently found out Benin art began long ago into the Ogiso dynasty but the art cults were gradually going extinct until Oba Oguola requested Ife to send a master to reorganize the Benin art

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2014
tonychristopher:

dont call them oluknmi and they wont bear yoruba...but your statement is funny THEY ARE YORUBA BY LANGAUGE AND IGBO BY CULTURE...IT SOUNDS CONFUSING

LANGUAGE IS THE MAIN and cluture is INGRAINED in It AND FACTOR OF CULTURE.so automatically they are igbo...maybe not pure ones though

They don't call themselves Igbo either..it's like a curse to call them Igbo #true fact

They even feel most comfortable being associated with Bini

when I hear ugbodu people speaking I always take them as Yoruba because I can hear some Yoruba words in their speech

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
Most people don't know that there is difference between language and dialect. The Yoruba that is mostly spoken is a 'corruption' of the Oyo dialect. The Oyo dialect is used in the translation of the Bible. Other Yoruba groups: Ijebu, Ijesha, Ife, Ondo, Akure, Sabe, Ketu, Owe, Owo, Ifon, Ekiti, etc have their dialects.

Exactly...plain truth

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by gidjah(m): 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
Redoil: thanks are you are boyfriend?
NOPE!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
brownlord:

Really, so you even know more than the Alaafin, bro you guys know nothing about this history, even an uneducated person know's his father' farmland and boundary, saying Alaafin's record is not correct is an evidence that the bini's are right.

I am a history enthusiast, I am most interested in Yoruba history and all people connected to the Yoruba.

Oyo can't know everything, Alaafin is saying what he was told like Omo n'oba but they don't know all and aren't willing to let go of ego but want to claim superior

Ooni Ife by tradition is king of western Nigeria, parts of Togo and Benin rep. all rights to rule were given by him

even in my town, our knowledge on Ife history is so poor, I had to seek knowledge outside
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2014
macof:

They don't call themselves Igbo either..it's like a curse to call them Igbo #true fact

They even feel most comfortable being associated with Bini

when I hear ugbodu people speaking I always take them as Yoruba because I can hear some Yoruba words in their speech

hmmmmm....why do you think that igbo is a curse on them that have been forgotten by their kiths and kins and bear strictly igbo names and speak igbo..they abhor been called the names of their kin

tell me
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 5:05pm On Jul 03, 2014
macof:

Bro, you are Igbo you should tap small sense into this matter...Aniocha language in Delta is Igbo but is it the same with Umueri Igbos in Anambra??

The language u normally hear as Yoruba in movies, city streets, schools etc. are what I would say semi-pidgin of the Oyo language...as the Oyo empire grew in power and influence...many people picked up their language.

so what ijebu speak is a dialet of yoruba but what egun speak is a different langauge entirely....i do understand yoruba but these badagry guys speaks something else, no wonder they hate been called yorubas

yes your correct umueri and asaba speak the smae thing but if you use izza and ohafia, they have different dialect but same languge...i
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
macof:

noted
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 5:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
Frenchkiss564: i only hear the bolded on nairaland by igbos trying desperately to turn the ijebus to another ikwere, the ikwere pill must be hard for you guys to swallow. The most respected yoruba politician and founder of egbe omo odouduwa, chief awolowo is an ijebu man, their is ijebu-ife, what y'all dont understand is that yoruba is an ethnicity not a tribe
, an ethnic is a conglomeration of tribes hence we hav the ijebu, egba, oyo, awori e.t.c as tribes

my brother nobody is turning ijebu to ikwerre, ikwerre are in oha na eze, we dont have issues just we have some disgruntled elements and they are not in majority. if i were you you shouldnt have started comparism not to derail the thread...we are learning but if you want it to be derailed we are ready.

but its not my intention, and do not create the impression that yorubas are one big happy family cos we know they aint..not all yorubas belive in oduduwa bunkum, the reasonable ones have seen the loop holes the crazy ones swallowed oduduwa hook line nad sinker...but i am learning from others not you and please dont quote me again...i wont want to derail una thread biko

if you want to know more about egun please this is how they categorically said they aint yorubas
http://mybadagry.org/?page_id=5

http://saharareporters.com/2014/03/04/exclusion-ogu-egun-people-lagos-and-ogun-national-conference-delegates%E2%80%99-list

keep playing ostrich
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 03, 2014
9jacrip: Fact: heads of Benin Kings have been buried in Ile-Ife since Eweka till the colonialist took a strong hold and it was stopped - the last 2 Benin Kings were buried in Benin with their complete parts.

Fact: Yoruba was the palace language in Benin until recently, I believe it was stopped by the present Oba because during the predecessor's time, Yoruba was still the palace language.

Benin Monarchy is different from Benin people who had been long in existence before Oranmiyan and Eweka. The Oranmiya/Eweka phenomenal effect was making Benin throne an offshoot and a 'junior' to Ife throne like other Yoruba thrones where Ife gives blessings and confirmation of every ascending king - in the case of Benin, it was furthered by making Yoruba the palace language and burial of Benin king parts in Ife.

The confusion we have today is as a result of egotistic kings who seek to slash history into bits just to be highly placed - above or equal to Ooni. Same is Ijebu with Sudan story. The effect of this egotistic agendas is why we are here arguing place of Oba Ado's death - in a few more decades starting from now, we will begin to argue Yoruba language was never Benin Palace language.

Soon, successful Benin kings will stop going to Ife for blessings and confirmation of kingship and we will start debating if previous Benin kings ever did.

Succinctly put 9jacrip

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2014
tonychristopher:

hmmmmm....why do you think that igbo is a curse on them that have been forgotten by their kiths and kins and bear strictly igbo names and speak igbo..they abhor been called the names of their kin

tell me

Chai! Guy Wetin dey do u??
Have u ever heard Olukumi people speak? If u have you wouldn't say they speak Igbo, because it's obvious they speak a dialect of Yoruba....and they bare Igbo and Yoruba names...even Edo-like names too

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 6:10pm On Jul 03, 2014
brownlord:

Really, so you even know more than the Alaafin, bro you guys know nothing about this history, even an uneducated person know's his father' farmland and boundary, saying Alaafin's record is not correct is an evidence that the bini's are right.
@ubenedictus
That's your business. When you have spent as much time and resources on acquiring the truth in history maybe you would begin to respect history

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2014
Marilyn_Nash: Shut up. Didn't you read Ayewosa's post? Is that not history, did he swear or curse? That was the exact story my father told me and the place where the crown princes choose their name is my family's house. Oduduwa came from Bini and not the sky, which one sounds reasonable to you?

But where did Ogiso come from .. More importantly where did Idu - the first man according to Bini come from?

We all use this "sky" theme a lot, find out ur history before trying to distort others

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2014
MacLovington: .

Correction:

He made only one request: that His Majesty should please ensure his household was well looked after as he had no son. It's like Iken had premonition.

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by MacLovington(m): 8:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
n
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by oluFELAxy(m): 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
No matter what. The king's head buried in ile ife or switzerland.
All I know is that ile ife is a distinct place and is a pillar in the yoruba history.

am proud to be from Ile-Ife.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Frenchkiss564: 8:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
tonychristopher:

my brother nobody is turning ijebu to ikwerre, ikwerre are in oha na eze, we dont have issues just we have some disgruntled elements and they are not in majority. if i were you you shouldnt have started comparism not to derail the thread...we are learning but if you want it to be derailed we are ready.

but its not my intention, and do not create the impression that yorubas are one big happy family cos we know they aint..not all yorubas belive in oduduwa bunkum, the reasonable ones have seen the loop holes the crazy ones swallowed oduduwa hook line nad sinker...but i am learning from others not you and please dont quote me again...i wont want to derail una thread biko

if you want to know more about egun please this is how they categorically said they aint yorubas
http://mybadagry.org/?page_id=5

http://saharareporters.com/2014/03/04/exclusion-ogu-egun-people-lagos-and-ogun-national-conference-delegates%E2%80%99-list

keep playing ostrich
yoruba has issues like every other ethnicity in the world, even among family members there are issues, i aint gonna derail the thread bro, where in my post did i say eguns are yorubas Anybody can choose to be anything they like "cheers"

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by MacLovington(m): 8:41pm On Jul 03, 2014
brownlord:

This is a new version, well i'm not going to argue on this as i have little or no knowledge but i doubt if the crown prince and the oba do see, except you can explain the meaning of what happened 2012 when the crown prince was welcome to the palace and a big celebration this cause.

You may not be aware but the crown prince was an ambassador of 9ja to many countries, his last assignment was as ambassador in Rome, Italy.

The Oba is now 91 years old, I think about time the crown prince came home.

The current Oba also resigned from his position as permanent secretary to the Cabinent office running Yakubu Gowon's bureaucracy as head of state, to be closer to his dad, Oba Akenzua II about a year before the 1975 coup. Oba Akenzua lived for about 5 more years.

Nothing new about the coming home of the crown Prince when the Oba is old.

You will remember that when HRH The Eleko came to visit the Oba last year, he was received by the crown prince.

You also remember the furore over whether the Oba received GEJ or Shunned him at the palace last year.

At the age of about 90, most people would have health challenges.

NOTE: There's even a DVD of Iken story courtesy of Bennywood/Nollywood. Grab your copy now. grin
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by maxit2(m): 10:41pm On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

DIRTY CITY..

IN DUBAI IT IS CALLED KACHARA MEANS VERY DIRTY..

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, Nothing fit make me go there no vex tongue tongue tongue

NIGERIA is a dirty place. Lagos, Ibadan, Everywhere.
If you think i am lying, just land at Murtala Mohammed. The first thing you will see is mud and dirty smelly places.
That's supposed to be the entrance into the country.
In your house, where is the neatest place? is it not your sitting room, which is the first contact point for visitors ?

9ja in general dirty menhhhh.,
@Dubai is the cheapest place to go, so calm down with the "in dubai" speech. That was not by any means necessary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago? / Dele Momodu Fumes As KWAM 1 Prostrates for Ooni But Shakes Hands With The Oluwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.