Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (65042 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by justi4jesu(f): 4:05pm On Jul 02, 2014
Mogidi:

I was going to reply you but saw this:

@Gaggi
You're right, for someone downloading the zulu wood of 70yr old Arab men, she should be used to dirt by now.

Is that all you've got..Hahahahahahahahaha Dirtiest City in Nigeria tongue. I dey Laugh
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
Let's agree Bini and Yoruba have some commonalities in many areas. I think they are of the same ancestry. That is good for me to go with! I am not for the superiority thing here, please...

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 02, 2014
CHESSBOARD:

So Benin OBAs are buried in a Gutter in ILE ife...hmmmm interesting, yorubas looking for relevance everywhere
Atleast,we still have Origin unlike Igbo,s .who has no Origin!!! I will tell you ur Origin,this is it below:

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Mogidi: 4:13pm On Jul 02, 2014
justi4jesu:

Is that all you've got..Hahahahahahahahaha Dirtiest City in Nigeria tongue. I dey Laugh

Were you invited to Benin in the first place? Please post the invitation you got from the Oba of Benin asking you to visit.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 02, 2014
all4naija: Let's agree Bini and Yoruba have some commonalities in many areas. I think they are of the same ancestry. That is good for me to go with! I am not for the superiority thing here, please...

Shut ya gob, sissified light-skinned mofo. grin

This isn't about superiority contest...and everyone on here knows Bini empire was a great empire, and I actually prefer Bini arts to Ife arts. However, this is a discourse about history, and learning to state facts. This is our history as black people, and we need to tell our story the way it happened.

Once we can discern that everything came from Ife, then we can go further back to trace how we got to Ife, from wherever we came from. And like Dr. Henrik Clarke said: “History is a clock that people use to tell their political and cultural time of day. It is also a compass that people use to find themselves on the map of human geography. History tells a people where they have been and what they have been, where they are and what they are. Most important, history tells a people where they still must go, what they still must be. The relationship of history to the people is the same as the relationship of a mother to her child.

9 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by NewNigeriaMind: 4:29pm On Jul 02, 2014
Thanks Shymexx and the other Bini guy. your contributions was quite enlightening . Also, good job ignoring the derailers of the thread.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by superior1: 4:34pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

This isn't about superiority contest...and everyone on here knows Bini empire was a great empire, and I actually prefer Bini arts to Ife arts. However, this is a discourse about history, and learning to state facts. This is our history as black people, and we need to tell our story the way it happened.

Once we can discern that everything came from Ife, then we can go further back to trace how we got to Ife, from wherever we came from. And like Dr. Henrik Clarke said: “History is a clock that people use to tell their political and cultural time of day. It is also a compass that people use to find themselves on the map of human geography. History tells a people where they have been and what they have been, where they are and what they are. Most important, history tells a people where they still must go, what they still must be. The relationship of history to the people is the same as the relationship of a mother to her child.

By all means, ignore those fellas. I am actually learning some new and interesting stuffs from ya post
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

You are always fond of basking in the euphoria of your interesting antagonism. I don't admire that much in your stand on any topic in this forum. Indeed, I would at this point let you know that I am not against learning about black history but for people to turn it into something of discourse and superiority. They are things I find distasteful in this whole discussion.

Meanwhile, the disagreement have been expressed with disregard for the commonalities, they are something to look into first before discussing on the nuances which differentiate both groups. The similarities of both cultures cannot be over-emphasized as they concern what comes to be known about their territories and their past movement between the boundaries which separate them in the contemporary. However, it is clear Yoruba and Bini people are of the same lineage that must be wholeheartedly accepted and carefully bridled in this complicated views by many, who barely know a thing of what they're talking about, including you in your high-ego displayed in a way to look vast in the subject yet have no much idea of what you are talking about. That is something I must accept with a pinch of salt.

Looking at your quoted excerpt from Dr. Henrik Clarke's, there is a little thing you failed to understand about modernity. It's long evolved beyond group, which, I think Dr. Henrik Clarke was right on about in his writing. That is, he addressed all human from a point of view as to moving forward than a particular group of people. The way forward is to address humanity than some group of people with related cultural backgrounds.

The world is evolving, man. Please, tag along!

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ayewosa(m): 4:59pm On Jul 02, 2014
For me I know a little about how the relationship begins, according to how the stories was passed down from generation to generation until I heard it from my dad. He said centuries ago the Bini Kingdom was among the few kingdoms found around the African continent. He(my dad) said the Oba of Benin Kingdom during that time was having issues with the his people. And you know according to Benin tradition The Oba position is never elected it's inherited. So the council of elders try to remove him from the throne but couldn't so they drove him away. Before the Oba left he laid a cause in the land that the women will not bear children and the farm lands will not produce anything and also caused the men. This cause was affecting the land for many years before the people decided to consult the Oracle. The priest told them that they have offended the Oba and that only his forgiveness could heal the land. So they ask how can they find the Oba, that it's long they drove him away. So the priest ask them to follow the direction of the sun. Meanwhile when that Oba left Benin he went into the forest and keeps travelling until he got to Ile Ife. Ife as at then was not having any Oba and things was not rosy for the people because there was farming in the land but immediately Oba of Benin came good things begins to happen to the people of that community and when the people of Ife consulted their gods of the changes it was told that the stranger that they gave shelter has brought good to the land. It continues like that until the Oba of Benin was made king and called by a new name Oduduwa. He married and bear children in Ife.
So later when the people from Benin Kingdom came to Ife...

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 02, 2014
[s]
all4naija:
You are always fond of basking in the euphoria of your interesting antagonism. I don't admire that much in your stand on any topic in this forum. Indeed, I would at this point let you know that I am not against learning about black history but for people to turn it into something of discourse and superiority. They are things I find distasteful in this whole discussion.

Meanwhile, the disagreement have been expressed with disregard for the commonalities, they are something to look into first before discussing on the nuances which differentiate both groups. The similarities of both cultures cannot be over-emphasized as they concern what comes to be known about their territories and their past movement between the boundaries which separate them in the contemporary. However, it is clear Yoruba and Bini people are of the same lineage that must be wholeheartedly accepted and carefully bridled in this complicated views by many, who barely know a thing of what they're talking about, including you in your high-ego displayed in a way to look vast in the subject yet have no much idea of what you are talking about. That is something I must accept with a pinch of salt.

Looking at your quoted excerpt from Dr. Henrik Clarke's, there is a little thing you failed to understand about modernity. It's long evolved beyond group, which, I think Dr. Henrik Clarke was right on about in his writing. That is, he addressed all human from a point of view as to moving forward than a particular group of people. The way forward is to address humanity than some group of people with related cultural backgrounds.

The world is evolve, man. Please, tag along!
[/s]

Should I reply or ignore? Er, I'll just post one comment and don't bother quoting me back. A broken clock is right twice a day, however, with you, you're a broken record in which getting anything right is more or less a pipe-dream. You've never posted anything sensible on this forum, and perhaps, it has more to do with the neanderthal blood in you than anything else.

The thread is about history and historical facts. However, like the unrepentant psychopath, destined for sectioning, that you're - you had to bring your idi.otic sermons about "modernity," which is more or less the progression of other people's civilisation to the discourse, in lieu of people discussing their own history. How dumb can you be? Then you added the superiority angle, which isn't part of the discourse, to it just to spice-up your inane argument. Let's say I posited based on historical facts that: Oyo empire got its cavalry from the Bariba's(an argument I've made several times) - does that mean the Bariba's were superior to the imperial Oyo folks? Can you see how dumb you sound now, prick?

Anyway, fvck off the thread with ya half-neanderthal ar.se and don't quote me back, you melanin deficiency having minger.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2014
WHY CLAIMING BENIN AS YORUBAS, I KNOW THEY DONT SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE,LIVED IN BENIN CITY (EGOR) AND LIVING IN IKEJA NOW SO I CANT SEE ANY SIMILARITIES. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT BENINS COLONISED YORUBAS BEFORE HAUSAS COLONISED THEM AND LASTLY BRITISH....

YES THERE MIGHT BE PROXIMITY BUT AINT SAME. OBAS HEAD MIGHT BE BURIED THERE,IFE CAN BE BENIN KINGS BURIAL GROUNDS WHILE THE INDIGENES OR VILLAGERS ARE THE UNDERTAKERS....

MY 2 CENTS

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx: [s][/s]

Should I reply or ignore? Er, I'll just post one comment and don't bother quoting me back. A broken clock is right twice a day, however, with you, you're a broken record in which getting anything right is more or less a pipe-dream. You've never posted anything sensible on this forum, and perhaps, it has more to do with the neanderthal blood in you than anything else.

The thread is about history and historical facts. However, like the unrepentant psychopath, destined for sectioning, that you're - you had to bring your idi.otic sermons about "modernity," which is more or less the progression of other people's civilisation to the discourse, in lieu of people discussing their own history. How dumb can you be? Then you added the superiority angle, which isn't part of the discourse, to it just to spice-up your inane argument. Let's say I posited based on historical facts that: Oyo empire got its cavalry from the Bariba's(an argument I've made several times) - does that mean the Bariba's were superior to the imperial Oyo folks? Can you see how dumb you sound now, prick?

Anyway, fvck off the thread with ya half-neanderthal ar.se and don't quote me back, you melanin deficiency having minger.
Blahblahblah... as usual!Talking about history you have no idea of. I was definitely talking to those who were turning it into a fight before you quoted my post, you dummy!

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ManTiger(m): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
5thNOTE: which book, books written by ppl like u, who have once argue and wished to collect the ancestory attribute? What do u expect them to write? What soots them and on their sides.
I strongly disagree sir, long time ago when i visited a friend and we both went to the palace. I saw the geneology tree showing the family chart flow from 1700 or so till moment. I'm a yoruba man and will not be so lame to insult a sitting king but Alaafin and the Oba of Benin has the same lineage while the ruling king of Ile-Ife has alot to explaining about his lineage coming to the Kingship!
You will hardly see Alaafin and Olubuuse (Ife King) at the same time in the same function...
Long story short, i believe there is a very strong connection between Ile-'fe and Edo.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ayewosa(m): 5:24pm On Jul 02, 2014
So later when the people of Benin Kingdom came to Ife they search everywhere for their Oba. But couldn't find him, Oduduwa welcome them and ask them what they were looking for and they narrated all that happened, Oduduwa has already know he's the one they're talking about. So he told them he's the one they are looking for. The people from Benin Kingdom began to plead for forgiveness. So they told Oduduwa that he has to return with them to Benin Kingdom so that peace will reign again in the land. But Oduduwa told them he's old now and moreover he's the Oba here in Ife. So he decided he'll give them his first child to rule as king in the land of Benin Kingdom. The people of Benin Kingdom was thankful and return with the son of Oduduwa. The son of Oduduwa was not understanding bini language, he speaks only Yoruba. On getting to the palace in great Benin Kingdom. Peace return to the land and things were back to how it was from the beginning. The first few days when Oduduwa son came to the palace he didn't talk to anyone because of the language difference. So one afternoon when he was walking around the palace he saw some guards playing (Ayo game) that game you play with seeds. So he was interested and joined them, so why playing with them he won a turn and said in Yoruba Owomi ka ( my hand have caught it) so the the guards and elders watching shouted that the Oba has finally spoken his name. From there they called him Eweka. He was Eweka the first( Eweka I) the son was Eweka II. And so on like that. So the relationship between us the Benin and Yoruba is that we share the same great ancestors.
Please I didn't form this story it is how my dad told me. Have shared them with my room mate in my undergraduate days.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2014
rahazaqa: Atleast,we still have Origin unlike Igbo,s .who has no Origin!!! I will tell you ur Origin,this is it below:

IS IT THAT STUPID ORIGIN OF ONE IDIOT COMMING DOWN FROM HEAVEN WITH A COCKK AND TYING LOINCLOTH WITH CHICKEN.... THAT UNA ODUDUWA STORY IS JUST PLAINLY STUPID...ITS BETTER TO CLOSE YOUR MOUTH LIKE IGBOS THANK TALKING FOOLISHLY IN TERMS OF IDIOTIC ORIGIN

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ayewosa(m): 5:34pm On Jul 02, 2014
ayewosa: So later when the people of Benin Kingdom came to Ife they search everywhere for their Oba. But couldn't find him, Oduduwa welcome them and ask them what they were looking for and they narrated all that happened, Oduduwa has already know he's the one they're talking about. So he told them he's the one they are looking for. The people from Benin Kingdom began to plead for forgiveness. So they told Oduduwa that he has to return with them to Benin Kingdom so that peace will reign again in the land. But Oduduwa told them he's old now and moreover he's the Oba here in Ife. So he decided he'll give them his first child to rule as king in the land of Benin Kingdom. The people of Benin Kingdom was thankful and return with the son of Oduduwa. The son of Oduduwa was not understanding bini language, he speaks only Yoruba. On getting to the palace in great Benin Kingdom. Peace return to the land and things were back to how it was from the beginning. The first few days when Oduduwa son came to the palace he didn't talk to anyone because of the language difference. So one afternoon when he was walking around the palace he saw some guards playing (Ayo game) that game you play with seeds. So he was interested and joined them, so why playing with them he won a turn and said in Yoruba Owomi ka ( my hand have caught it) so the the guards and elders watching shouted that the Oba has finally spoken his name. From there they called him Eweka. He was Eweka the first( Eweka I) the son was Eweka II. And so on like that. So the relationship between us the Benin and Yoruba is that we share the same great ancestors.
Please I didn't form this story it is how my dad told me. Have shared them with my room mate in my undergraduate days.

Please let me chip in this, Oduduwa while with the people of Ife never share the stories of his background with the people of Ife. The only part they know of was that people came from Benin Kingdom and the son of Oduduwa was used as king among the Benin people.

This later answer my doubts that why will the Yoruba history claim Oduduwa came from the sky. So true that they never knew where he came from. It is believed by that he came from the gods.

So lastly I'll say we're one family.
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 5:55pm On Jul 02, 2014
The fact is Olokun and Ogun are strictly Yoruba gods.

Yoruba and Benin people probably existed independently. But i will not be surprised if it one point they were one. The proximity of both tribes to each other, and they were able to exist side by side without one conquering the other is telling. Benin = Ilu Ibinu (Place of anger), and Ado = Edo. If at some point they broke away, they will not be the first group. The jekri did, ijebu did, and lucumi did. A lot of these tribes in Nigeria today should be villages, and put under another tribe. When a group get angry they go ahead and form a new village then call themselves a new tribe. LOL. If the Europeans did not come when they did, and Ijebu's were able to isolate themselves, they would call themselves a different tribe when discovered.

The fact is the prominent kings of both people come from the same family. That does not mean that they are the same people. Some families conquer nations and hold them for centuries. I.E the Queen of England and family. This also does not mean the two people (subjects) are the same or one is superior to the other. Afterall, the people known as Yoruba today existed long before the reign of Oduduwa and his family. And Oduduwa sent his children to rule over all the places where the people known as Yoruba lived or existed. Even to Benin republic.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
Sweetlemon:

What I mean by claim is that the Yorubas say that Ishekiris, Igalas, etc are Yorubas. Not that the Yorubas say that they are Ishekiris.
Before the ongoing confab, Itshekiri people were forming a common front with the Yoruba.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by banky222: 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
IF U BELIEVE THIS STORY, it means u also blieve that ADO-EKITI and other ADOS in yoruba land actually belong to the EDOs.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 6:37pm On Jul 02, 2014
When we think of Oduduwa and his coming. It is a strange story with a lot of holes. There is no way in hell a complete stranger will be allowed to just rule without an intense battle. As there would have been reigning kings, and the oral history would have been told of a deposed king.

There is also no way that the Benin chiefs could have been sure it was a descendant of Oduduwa they brought back after so many years in exile. Also, how did Oduduwa know where to go on exile and why was he so accepted easily if the two groups were unrelated. A stranger in a strange land would have been something that will create paranoia. Who is this Oduduwa, I think when we can answer that question then we know. Are we even sure he was even Yoruba or Benin?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 6:47pm On Jul 02, 2014
baby_123: When we think of Oduduwa and his coming. It is a strange story with a lot of holes. There is no way in hell a complete stranger will be allowed to just rule without an intense battle. As there would have been reigning kings, and the oral history would have been told of a deposed king.

There is also no way that the Benin chiefs could have been sure it was a descendant of Oduduwa they brought back after so many years in exile. Also, how did Oduduwa know where to go on exile and why was he so accepted easily if the two groups were unrelated. A stranger in a strange land would have been something that will create paranoia. Who is this Oduduwa, I think when we can answer that question then we know. Are we even sure he was even Yoruba or Benin?

the Benin chief must have invented dna testing which they did on the spot on oduduwa to ascertain his genealogy ....lol ...so ODUDUWA no fall from sky ...I used to think he was the fallen angel the demons chased away from the sky came down had siblings and children which are the YORUBAS

origin lol...but where do YORUBAS and Benin speak same language ...IJEBUS don't even speak same language with YORUBAS not to talk of far away Benin
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 6:55pm On Jul 02, 2014
tonychristopher:
the Benin chief must have invented dna testing which they did on the spot on oduduwa to ascertain his genealogy ....lol ...so ODUDUWA no fall from sky ...I used to think he was the fallen angel the demons chased away from the sky came down had siblings and children which are the YORUBAS
origin lol...but where do YORUBAS and Benin speak same language ...IJEBUS don't even speak same language with YORUBAS not to talk of far away Benin
tonychristopher:

Ijebu dialect is different from OYO Yoruba which is Lagos Yoruba and what you are used to. Ekiti, Ijesha, ondo dialect are also very different. So it is possible. And Benin people have mixed with other surrounding tribes which may influence their language. So it's really impossible to tell. In the diaspora, in some countries they call Yoruba religion Lucumi, those Lucumi people are in delta state amongst Igbo's. So you see the kind of confusion? People were breaking away and carrying their culture with them. The thing is when groups get too big, resources are scarce. So they break away to survive
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tonychristopher: 7:09pm On Jul 02, 2014
baby_123:
Ijebu dialect is different from OYO Yoruba which is Lagos Yoruba and what you are used to. Ekiti, Ijesha, ondo dialect are also very different. So it is possible. And Benin people have mixed with other surrounding tribes which may influence their language. So it's really impossible to tell. In the diaspora, in some countries they call Yoruba religion Lucumi, those Lucumi people are in delta state amongst Igbo's. So you see the kind of confusion? People were breaking away and carrying their culture with them. The thing is when groups get too big, resources are scarce. So they break away to survive

yeah very CORRECT ...Benin I know very well ain't same with yoruba and as of olukumi...they are now more or less igbo cos they bear igbo names and hate been called yoruba and their igbo name is ukwu nzu which they are comfortable with

I understand Benin and yoruba but I just can not see any similarity

pls educate me on this

Benin believe they colonized YORUBAS and vassals ...pls elucidate on this pls

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Doncolio(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2014
A simple DNA three would have done more justice than all these cooked up stories.

If you are from Benin or Ife, i'll suggest you believe what you may as history as already been rewritten. Too bad most of us can only know what we read in books whether framed as the truth or not.
cry
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:16pm On Jul 02, 2014
jude33084:

Try to visit the Oba palace for a tour wink

It is free of charge no cost. grin

The Yorubas said Oduduwa came from Heaven cheesy cheesy grin
Try to visit the Orun Oba Ado shrine in Gbenekan Street by Oduduwa Street. It is just about 5 minutes walk to the Ooni of Ife palace.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by yomexp(m): 7:26pm On Jul 02, 2014
tonychristopher:

...IJEBUS don't even speak same language with YORUBAS not to talk of far away Benin
and who told you the ijebus don't speak the same language with the YORUBAS why do you speak so ignorantly of what you know nothing about?

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2014
tonychristopher:
yeah very CORRECT ...Benin I know very well ain't same with yoruba and as of olukumi...they are now more or less igbo cos they bear igbo names and hate been called yoruba and their igbo name is ukwu nzu which they are comfortable with
I understand Benin and yoruba but I just can not see any similarity
pls educate me on this
Benin believe they colonized YORUBAS and vassals ...pls elucidate on this pls

I dont think either group conquered the other. They may have always had a link with the Oyo's/Ife. This is why the Oyo's/ife's as much as they are conqueror's never moved against Benin. At least not that i know of. Something is suspicious about that. I dont believe Oduduwa, if this story is true was a stranger to anyone, because history on the Yoruba end would have said so. A strange and exiled prince with such history would have come with an entourage which would have not gone unnoticed, nothing of the sort has been recorded on the Yoruba end.

Yoruba's have a way of passing down history in memorized songs/incantations. The story of falling from the sky is a mystical origin on Yoruba's and no Yoruba would have witnessed this coming if he was the first Yoruba. The Benin version says he went to Yoruba's who were already a people. That is the break in transmission of both stories. That is where the problem is.

My Guess to bring the link together: It could be that the original Oduduwa was a progenitor of a group of people and established a kingdom a long time before the Benin Oduduwa. The Benin Oduduwa probably was of a royal lineage of both groups. That will explain his easy acceptance. It would have been easy for him to go on exile in one of the related kingdoms. Where he would be treated well, be safe and comfortable. A royal prince will not take silly risks with strange people in a strange land, without an army. It would also have been easy for him to assume kingship position without any struggle because of his traceable lineage to a common ancestor which was probably the original Oduduwa. Just my guess. But i feel its more plausible. The Original Oduduwa may have been called something else.

What now stands out with this Oduduwa is that he was able to firmly establish his family, and truly organize both groups to unify them. He made sure his lineage held power and he planned it well. They are still in power till today.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
Atigba: This absolute rubbish,I discover that people tend to twist history to suit what they believe or feel
I didn't even bother reading the rest of the article after the first and 2nd paragraph. The article is full of shi.t!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 02, 2014
tonychristopher:

IS IT THAT STUPID ORIGIN OF ONE IDIOT COMMING DOWN FROM HEAVEN WITH A COCKK AND TYING LOINCLOTH WITH CHICKEN.... THAT UNA ODUDUWA STORY IS JUST PLAINLY STUPID...ITS BETTER TO CLOSE YOUR MOUTH LIKE IGBOS THANK TALKING FOOLISHLY IN TERMS OF IDIOTIC ORIGIN
sorry,it pains you!!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Anaskie(m): 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2014
rahazaqa: Atleast,we still have Origin unlike Igbo,s .who has no Origin!!! I will tell you ur Origin,this is it below:
Guy chill naw. Dis is between Yorubas and Binis. Y are u dragging d Igbos to dis?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Malawian(m): 8:48pm On Jul 02, 2014
Doncolio: A simple DNA three would have done more justice than all these cooked up stories.

If you are from Benin or Ife, i'll suggest you believe what you may as history as already been rewritten. Too bad most of us can only know what we read in books whether framed as the truth or not.
cry

they dont need DNA test. binis have tribal marks, also a prince would have a specific tribal mark for identification. logic is not common to the people who believe someone can come from the sky. maybe the prince was fully decked in royal bini apparels only to meet stark n.akedd zombies when he got to ife. why will the mofos not think he came from the sky?

i made a lot of money today, i want top start celebrating with some sharks and broken yoruba heads. cheesy cheesy
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by aljharem(m): 8:50pm On Jul 02, 2014
ayewosa:
Please let me chip in this, Oduduwa while with the people of Ife never share the stories of his background with the people of Ife. The only part they know of was that people came from Benin Kingdom and the son of Oduduwa was used as king among the Benin people.
This later answer my doubts that why will the Yoruba history claim Oduduwa came from the sky. So true that they never knew where he came from. It is believed by that he came from the gods.
So lastly I'll say we're one family.
Thank you

Actually the story your father told you is the most plausible I have ever heard. Are you from bini or Yoruba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago? / Dele Momodu Fumes As KWAM 1 Prostrates for Ooni But Shakes Hands With The Oluwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.