Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? (24372 Views)

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by DesChyko: 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2014
cannonnier: Just create a thread, there will be enough people you will here from.
Lol.. Create wetin?
You want me to die by Nairaland firing squad? Hahaha
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by cannonnier(m): 8:07pm On Jul 02, 2014
DesChyko:
Lol.. Create wetin?
You want me to die by Nairaland firing squad? Hahaha
there are No firing squad. Anyway I understand your fear. How about I will create the thread and you will be the chief guest.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by cococandy(f): 8:41pm On Jul 02, 2014
Zahrabinnta: Yes,the bride price aspect is meaningless,traditional weddings are great and all but when money is being exchanged over a human head it makes some men think that they own the wife.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by cococandy(f): 8:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
EnlightenedSoul: An extremely multi-faceted article. I'm not sure what to address first!

I think about all this quite a bit. Like you, I'm on the fence regarding the topic of bride prices. Interesting are the sentiments expressed in the song you shared btw! Personally, I feel it's an outdated practice. Still, despite having been born and spent most of our time in the West, all my older siblings have gone the traditional route, bride price included. Not surprisingly, when I expressed my thoughts, my folks had the exact same old-world parental reaction expressed in the article; it was inconceivable. Nowadays, I've even noticed people compete in the areas of "grandest bride price" and "grandest wedding"!

Inter-ethnic African unions/relationships are still full of hurdles, at least in my case, but I feel it shouldn't be so terribly hard to incorporate something of both cultures within the ceremony. Like you, I value the idea of a cultural wedding, and like you, I also feel there are quite a few traditional practices that are better buried in the past - weddings aside.

It's very easy for those of us living outside the "box" to cherry pick what we like about our respective cultures, but there are those who live it everyday, and in reality it is they who hold the reigns. Changing even one aspect of a local culture is easier said than done. There is a certain comfort in tradition, and people are generally not creatures of change. Society also has a way of shaping the perceptions of the populace. Before some purist suffers an aneurysm: when I say change, I do not mean westernization but rather a local cultural innovation, especially within certain areas, and within reason. It shouldn't mean a complete change of identity.

I feel we desperately need to free our minds in order to move forward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by kingston277(m): 9:50pm On Jul 02, 2014
CongoleseQueen:
As an individual who was raised in a home centered around culture, I fully understand the importance of traditional practices. However, I have struggled with grasping the reasoning behind some of these practices. I recall having a conversation with a friend about the process of traditional marriage. She once told her mom that she was not interested in receiving a bride price. She is all for having a traditional wedding, but refuses to participate in a ceremony that she feels is unnecessary. Her mom was certainly not pleased with her request. In fact, she informed her that it wasn’t a decision that lied in her hands. It had already been decided for her the moment she was born. While I do see where her mother is coming from, I don’t think she should be forced to adhere to a custom that doesn’t apply to her as an individual. If anything, it should be a choice.
Great, because according to scholarly sources, traditional African human right concepts have always been about choice and access to basic human needs, anything deviating from that is cultural corruption, so go ahead.

In 2004, activists from Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Senegal, Ghana, Rwanda and South Africa gathered in Kampala for the International Bride Price Conference to discuss ways of eliminating its practice in Africa. Quite frankly, I don’t think it is a good idea to get rid of it completely. I simply think that people should not be forced to participate. It should be optional.
I agree.

A single African country can have anywhere from five to two hundred tribes, and each tribe carries its own customs. With so many rituals in place, individuals who come from the same country, but belong to different tribes, are not encouraged to marry. This is not a progressive way of thinking. If these traditions aren’t creating unified sense of belonging, why are Africans still holding on to them?
I agree, but...
If historical traditions weren't about creating a sense of belonging, then how did the pre-colonial kingdoms that spanned several tribes survive for so many centuries?

For many Africans, the rise of inter-tribe and inter-Africa marriages is a sign that tribal disputes have ended. That’s like saying, inter-religion marriages have ended religious wars and disputes. It couldn’t be further from the truth. Tribal fighting is still an ongoing problem in Africa. Africans are still committing atrocious acts of violence towards one another due to tribal differences. A friend of mine once said that Africans are always complaining about how badly they were treated by Europeans, but refuse to acknowledge the fact that they are doing the same thing to each other.
Tribal conflicts exist for many different reasons around the world, so it is not wise to place all cause in the same box. Historically, tribes & kingdoms usually went to war over the same reasons today's nations go to war. Not many wars were based on racial-esque lines. However, sudden changes in government structure, culture, religion, politics, (and yes,)colonialism, etc can polarize societies along tribal lines even if they've co-existed for centuries such as the HUtu.

Inter-tribe and inter-Africa marriages are becoming more popular due to Western influence. Most Western societies encourage cultural diversity and tolerance. Africans who have been exposed to it tend to become more open. The average African, living within the borders of Africa, would prefer to marry a person from their tribe. In fact, they have zero interest in knowing what goes on in other regions.
Huh? Inter-tribal marriages have always been with Africans. Many sources online state that tribes are generally not rigid and members can follow the politicians of another tribe freely, speak the language of neighboring tribes as their 1st language, practice the customs of neighboring tribes, etc. Tribes are fluid systems so I'm not sure where you got your ideas from.

South Africa was listed as one of the world’s most multilingual countries. The average South African can speak or understand all of the country’s main languages. This is a great strategy towards creating a sense of unity and belonging within its frontier. It is a fantastic way of promoting cultural diversity.
Thats wonderful that that works for them but will it work for us, we really need to start looking inward and examining and fixing our issues. Our ancestors left us with several ways to create a functioning society like they did but we continue to ignore them and look outward. This non-progressive thinking will soon be our downfall.
Plz red this: https://www.nairaland.com/1796388/tradition-progress

In conclusion, before we start advocating for a “united Africa”, let’s first encourage a “united Congo”, “united Nigeria”, “united Sudan” and so forth. Africans love culture. That is what makes our continent so beautiful. However, it’s very difficult to genuinely appreciate the culture when it is playing key role in dividing our people. Africans hold traditional practices very close to their hearts, as they have been passed on from generation to generation. Change is not something most of us are quick to accept, but if we are working towards a unified and progressive Africa, accepting cultural diversity and tolerance is the right way forward.
Agree, we should only hold on to aspects of culture that helped us build great civilizations like Benin, Oyo, Asante(all multi-tribal), etc, so that hopefully one day our society may return to their level of sophistication. But we should not adopt/stick with customs, foreign or local, that are not here to fix our current issues, this is part of being rational and enlightened, also something that has been with our ancestors(some of whom were atheist) but not with us.

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by pete4real(m): 10:04pm On Jul 02, 2014
I don't know the state u are from but from the part am frompride price is not more than N500, in essence our tradition is our identity, respect, unity among others, and pls keep your opinion to your self
iam_ord: I must say africa is loosing its place as the time goes by.. You blame it on the attitude of the black people..u see one reason why we don't move forward is because we are afraid of change.. All races have passed through what we r going through.. Some modified and threw out the ones that r not needed so as to customize the tradition for this generation and beyond.. But we over here.. Just like it that way .. Africa has lost its place in time..this time a lot of family members see the bride price as a chance to amass wealth.. And can kill for that.. A lot of irregularities go unchecked..and now the irregularities have become Part of the present tradition.. This is because black leaders and majority of the people are not intelligent enough to understand that there has to be reforms in all sectors of culture and traditions. to make it conform with present day .we lack vision..and very soon.. All history will be wiped out cos we don't learn
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by zurine(f): 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
hmm
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by NumberOne2(m): 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2014
Africa is facing a serious identity crisis.
We gladly accept foreign religions and cultures (especially Christianity and Islam) while looking down on ours.

If we question traditional practices, how many religious practices have we questioned?
There are many religious practices that raise more questions than these traditional practices.

Look at places like Japan which are modern cities but maintain most of their ancient traditions.
Must Africa copy the west in the name of modernization?

3 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by CongoleseQueen: 11:33pm On Jul 02, 2014
It is sad that one can't express their views without receiving insults. I am not encouraging anyone to imitate the Western culture. African culture is not better than Western culture and vice versa. There are always things we can learn from each other. That is why I am saying we need to have an open mind.

You people are speaking about this our African culture like it doesn't have any bad sides. There are MANY things we can learn from others and vice versa.

Even in the West, when you look 50-100 years ago, things were done differently than they are now. Their society evolved. Some of things they have adopted are good, others are bad. Why can't we learn from their mistakes? Let's carefully go through our culture and remove the things that aren't allowing us progress -- but of course we have to be selective so that we don't adopt things that could potentially destroy our core values. By the way, I clearly stated that I am in favor of traditional marriage, but I don't agree in the "bride price" aspect of it. I want celebrate the cultural aspect of it. In other words, I want to have a traditional marriage minus the whole bride price thing.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:10am On Jul 03, 2014
Nah. I'd rather do away with white weddings. I enjoy traditional ceremonies a lot better than the white wedding and reception.

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by sebyluv(m): 7:07am On Jul 03, 2014
milychocs:

LOL
Dude....Mother Africa weeps for this post
Colonialism on display
Chai
Babe stop being theatrical. we have all being Colonized, its Jst left for us to forge better paths for ourselves. If does Trad rites ain't good enuf again, den let's go ahead with better things.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Skmoda360(m): 9:53am On Jul 03, 2014
Can't read too long
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by domwas2(m): 10:10am On Jul 03, 2014
do u think african got tradition even d whites got more than us, as new generation all we got to do is edit does rule since we are educated than our fathers... In politics dats why those old maggot are not willing to give d youth a chance become we dnt think and ask why? Why? Why is this like this but instead we follow rules of ages meant to sult dat time bcs of virginity, how many virgin can u find today becos our generation dnt think our old parents keeps getting d price to avoid shame bcs why should it price stop at my turn while d guys keep paying 4 owo mugu...
These days ladies are getting pregnant inorder to hold on to a guy why should i waste my time abeg i knw my rite abi na me open d hole or na me go pay 4 d hole wea anoda person open? ;Ddo u think african got tradition even d whites got more than us, as new generation all we got to do is edit does rule since we are educated than our fathers... In politics dats why those old maggot are not willing to give d youth a chance become we dnt think and ask why? Why? Why is this like this but instead we follow rules of ages meant to sult dat time bcs of virginity, how many virgin can u find today becos our generation dnt think our old parents keeps getting d price to avoid shame bcs why should it price stop at my turn while d guys keep paying 4 owo mugu...
These days ladies are getting pregnant inorder to hold on to a guy why should i waste my time abeg i knw my rite abi na me open d hole or na me go pay 4 d hole wea anoda person open?
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 03, 2014

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 03, 2014
sebyluv:
Babe stop being theatrical. we have all being Colonized, its Jst left for us to forge better paths for ourselves. If does Trad rites ain't good enuf again, den let's go ahead with better things.

Hi
We have all been colonized, true.... but we can choose to live in spite of this, not in line with it
Like, doing away with our way of life......in a way that makes us appear silly to our "masters" is a total no no

These days, I am embarrassed when I see overt displays of foreign religious zeal, and speaking foreign languages like the foreigners themselves...(in affected (okay, adapted) accents undecided)

Two football instances...the day we lost to France....a Super Eagle made the sign of the cross, in a game we played with Europeans lipsrsealed

During that Under 17 FIFA World Cup in Naija a few years ago, I worked at the stadium
We had the Turkish team with us, and during introductions.....only two of us gave our Igbo names
Their coach with a look of consternation was wondering why we are Michaels, Elizabeths, etc. he said in his country they try to go ethnic as much as possible

I dont blame our parents for naming us, but it is now left for us to #bring our positive Africanness back...with ethnic names, natural hair (okay, you may perm it for manageability), promoting traditional marriages and other positive cultural activities and behaviours.....
Okay...white weddings have started being a tad embarrassing to me.....bring an oyibo to a white wedding in Naija, and take him to a trad wedding, he would be all "wow" about the trad, true story
Some schools in Nigeria celebrate Halloween....I rest my case lipsrsealed
My view, no theatrics intended

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 03, 2014
Number_One: Africa is facing a serious identity crisis.
We gladly accept foreign religions and cultures (especially Christianity and Islam) while looking down on ours.

[size=18pt]If we question traditional practices, how many religious practices have we questioned?[/size]
There are many religious practices that raise more questions than these traditional practices.

Look at places like Japan which are modern cities but maintain most of their ancient traditions.
Must Africa copy the west in the name of modernization?

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 03, 2014
milychocs:
I dont blame our parents for naming us, but it is now left for us to #bring our positive Africanness back...with ethnic names, natural hair (okay, you may perm it for manageability), promoting traditional marriages and other positive cultural activities and behaviours.....
Okay...white weddings have started being a tad embarrassing to me.....bring an oyibo to a white wedding in Naija, and take him to a trad wedding, he would be all "wow" about the trad, true story
Some schools in Nigeria celebrate Halloween....I rest my case lipsrsealed
My view, no theatrics intended

Cheers

My hair is natural and it's perfectly fine. Guys love how soft it is smiley I won't relax my daughter's hair ever, so she won't have to struggle to learn how to manage it like I did.

And I don't have a single Christian name, and I was born and raised in the West--somehow I survived. My cousins have begun doing the same with their children. Zero foreign names. When you have 20 Aunt Marys because the missionaries who renamed them apparently had the same short list, you appreciate the vibrance of your own culture.

Uzo Aduba, from the hit show Orange is the New Black:

So I went home and asked my mother if I could be called Zoe. I remember she was cooking, and in her Nigerian accent she said, “Why?” I said, “Nobody can pronounce it.” Without missing a beat, she said, “If they can learn to say Tchaikovsky and Michelangelo and Dostoyevsky, they can learn to say Uzoamaka."

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 03, 2014
Lemme ask a simple question. Do u know americans(and the other white people) that u want us to start copying still observe traditional marriage rites? Ever heard of the pratice of throwing grains of rice at newly-weds or jumping the broom? If we cancel our traditional rites because we are trying to be like them, won't it be just stupid?

4 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by CongoleseQueen: 12:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
Zedric: Lemme ask a simple question. Do u know americans(and the other white people) that u want us to start copying still observe traditional marriage rites? Ever heard of the pratice of throwing grains of rice at newly-weds or jumping the broom? If we cancel our traditional rites because we are trying to be like them, won't it be just stupid?

Where in my article do I mention copying Americans? Please show me. I never said that. Reformation isn't bad. All societies have gone through it -- it is part of growth and evolution. In addition to that, we already copy the European culture. So it's too late for your suggestion.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 03, 2014
CongoleseQueen:

Where in my article do I mention copying Americans? Please show me. I never said that. Reformation isn't bad. All societies have gone through it -- it is part of growth and evolution. In addition to that, we already copy the European culture. So it's too late for your suggestion.
Yes, we copy the European culture already but is that enough reason to get rid of thn part of our culture that we are trying to cling on to?
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 04, 2014
I suggest the best way to. Handle this is(using igbo/yoruba traditional marriages for example) to get a priest/imam/ Court Clerk present at the traditional marriage and He should Officiate the normal exchange of vows immediately after the wine carrying rites....

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by nairablog(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
Abu Hurairah (RA) related that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “if one of you ends up at a gathering let him extend the greeting of peace, then, let him sit if he deems it better to sit. Then if he stands, if he stands let him extend greetings of peace, for the first (greeting, which he gave upon arriving) is not more than the last (i.e. the greeting he gives when leaving).” (Abu Daawuud)....read more here...http://al-athariy..com/2014/08/manners-in-islam.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beautiful Photos From Alaafin Of Oyo's Naming Ceremony(photos) / Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects / Meet The 51 Kings Of Lagos (contacts)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.