Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

What Is Predestination? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Predestination? (1363 Views)

RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? / Noetic, Purist, Lets Discuss Freewill & Predestination. / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 10:13pm On Jul 02, 2014
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.
11. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the councel of his own will.
- Ephesians 1:4-5, 11.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his son, that he might be the firstborn among many bethren.

Pls I need an explaination of what predestination is. What does it means to be predestinated by God.
Re: What Is Predestination? by okenwa(m): 10:22pm On Jul 02, 2014
Predestination means " .... as I wanted it(you) to be....."
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:54pm On Jul 02, 2014
The answer depends on who you ask.

Predestination is one on the most complication words you'll find in scriptures.

I'll try to explain in the marwing.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 6:38am On Jul 03, 2014
Ubenedictus: The answer depends on who you ask.

Predestination is one on the most complication words you'll find in scriptures.

I'll try to explain in the marwing.
why is it so complicated? Anyway, let me wait like u said .
Re: What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 6:39am On Jul 03, 2014
okenwa: Predestination means " .... as I wanted it(you) to be....."
to be what?
Re: What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 10:36am On Jul 06, 2014
Still waiting for ur response.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Spotless180: Still waiting for ur response.

sorry dear, i really over delayed.

In the wildest sense Predestination mean every eternal Divine resolve of will.

In the narrower sense it refers to the eternal divine resolve of will with regards to the final destination of rational creatures.

In the dumbest sense it means God has always resolved that certain people will make eternal bliss or will be granted grace.

Predestination is an act of divine pre-science (i.e God knows the future), and predetermination (i.e God decrees certain things to happen).

Basically that is predestination.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ubenedictus:

sorry dear, i really over delayed.

In the wildest sense Predestination mean every eternal Divine resolve of will.

In the narrower sense it refers to the eternal divine resolve of will with regards to the final destination of rational creatures.

In the dumbest sense it means God has always resolved that certain people will make eternal bliss or will be granted grace.

Predestination is an act of divine pre-science (i.e God knows the future), and predetermination (i.e God decrees certain things to happen).

Basically that is predestination.
let me get it clear. U mean some people are destined to go to hell while others to heaven?
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:07pm On Jul 07, 2014
Spotless180: let me get it clear. U mean some people are destined to go to hell while others to heaven?

that is a rough and inaccurrate way of puting it. I earlier said predestination is an act of divine prescience.

So in view of the unrepented sin committed by many, they are predestined to hell while others are predestined to heaven.

Predestination isn't very easy to understand, first, God is absolutely soveriegn and can do whatever he wants, secondly, he can see the future, thirdly, he can decree the future.

Predestination says God has decided from the begining those who are destined for heaven (don't ask me how), and that by is prescience, i.e because he knows the future he knows all who will die without repentance and he has predestined them from the begining to hell.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Image123(m): 1:37pm On Jul 08, 2014
Spotless180: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.
11. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the councel of his own will.
- Ephesians 1:4-5, 11.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his son, that he might be the firstborn among many bethren.

Pls I need an explaination of what predestination is. What does it means to be predestinated by God.

Predestination is SIMPLY pre destination. It is like the address on a letter or luggage. Lagos - London. The goods are predestined to reach London from Lagos. Simples. Same way, God has plans for our lives both general and specific.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Spotless180(m): 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
Image123:

Predestination is SIMPLY pre destination. It is like the address on a letter or luggage. Lagos - London. The goods are predestined to reach London from Lagos. Simples. Same way, God has plans for our lives both general and specific.
u mean some people programmed to end up in hell and some in heaven? Do u think man has freewill?
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2014
Spotless180: u mean some people programmed to end up in hell and some in heaven? Do u think man has freewill?

he never said that some are programmed that way,(he can clarify).

Man has freewill and so by and large he is responsible for his choices and the consequences thereof, but God always knew what men will do with their freewill, that is omniscience and specifically prescience, he has decreed that as we have chosen so shall our eternal destinies be that is "predestination".

God doesn't exactly program people to hell, but in does see their end and has said "let it be".
Re: What Is Predestination? by Image123(m): 11:37pm On Jul 08, 2014
Spotless180: u mean some people programmed to end up in hell and some in heaven? Do u think man has freewill?
No, i don't know any bible verse that says anyone is predestined to heaven or to hell. That's theological talk. BTW, that something or someone is predestined don't guarantee that that task would be accomplished. Ever heard of a predestined letter or luggage lost in transit?
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
Image123:
No, i don't know any bible verse that says anyone is predestined to heaven or to hell. That's theological talk. BTW, that something or someone is predestined don't guarantee that that task would be accomplished. Ever heard of a predestined letter or luggage lost in transit?

i think the bible hints to complete predestination to glory. Rm 8:29 et seq paints the picture.

Take a look.
Re: What Is Predestination? by okeyxyz(m): 10:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
Predestination simply means that some people have been pre-selected(before they were even born) to come into the knowledge, belief and judgment by the doctrine of grace(And I am one of these people cool). This is strictly a grace christianity matter/calling. Every other person will be subject to the law of moses, whether they be christians, moslems, jews, atheist, etc
Re: What Is Predestination? by Image123(m): 12:47am On Jul 14, 2014
Ubenedictus:

i think the bible hints to complete predestination to glory. Rm 8:29 et seq paints the picture.

Take a look.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

Brother, like stated earlier, being predestined don't guarantee destination. God foreknew Israel but they all didn't attain or get there.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:09am On Jul 14, 2014
Image123: Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
all you need to do is add vs 30 it.

"and those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified".

That my dear is predestination unto glory, he foreknew and predestined some to be conformed to the image of his son, vs 30 goes futher and tells us that those who he predestined he called, he then justified and glorified. That is predestination unto glory.

Romans 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

Brother, like stated earlier, being predestined don't guarantee destination. God foreknew Israel but they all didn't attain or get there.
vs 30 disagrees with you! Those he predestined he called, those he called he justified and those he justified he glorified. For those presdestination to glory, clearly leads to glory.
Re: What Is Predestination? by Elijah78: 12:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Never use the word predestination to refer to people, they don’t. Always use it in reference to God’s plan. God never predestined anyone to either heaven or hell. He predestined a plan that would determine it. God will never interfere with our free will. Love is only real and valuable when there is choice.

http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/Grace,Faith%20and%20the%20Rest%20of%20God.htm
Re: What Is Predestination? by Image123(m): 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ubenedictus: all you need to do is add vs 30 it.

"and those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified".

That my dear is predestination unto glory, he foreknew and predestined some to be conformed to the image of his son, vs 30 goes futher and tells us that those who he predestined he called, he then justified and glorified. That is predestination unto glory.

vs 30 disagrees with you! Those he predestined he called, those he called he justified and those he justified he glorified. For those presdestination to glory, clearly leads to glory.

While heaven may be ultimate glory, it is not necessarily the only location for glory. i posted 11:3 instead as it showed clearer what i'm saying. Remember, it is whom He FOREKNEW that He did predestine. Israel was foreknown but didn't all end up in glory, whatever that is. They fell through unbelief and only left a residue/remnant.
Like explained earlier, predestination is basically a plan/will. God's plan or will. It's like addressing a letter or package. That the package is predestined doesn't guarantee that it gets to planned destination. God has definite and specific purpose, plan and destinations for us.
Re: What Is Predestination? by jayriginal: 2:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
okeyxyz:
Predestination simply means that some people have been pre-selected(before they were even born) to come into the knowledge, belief and judgment by the doctrine of grace(And I am one of these people cool). This is strictly a grace christianity matter/calling. Every other person will be subject to the law of moses, whether they be christians, moslems, jews, atheist, etc

How do you know you are one of these people "pre-selected" (before they were even born).
Re: What Is Predestination? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:46am On Oct 22, 2014
Image123:

While heaven may be ultimate glory, it is not necessarily the only location for glory. i posted 11:3 instead as it showed clearer what i'm saying. Remember, it is whom He FOREKNEW that He did predestine. Israel was foreknown but didn't all end up in glory, whatever that is. They fell through unbelief and only left a residue/remnant.
Like explained earlier, predestination is basically a plan/will. God's plan or will. It's like addressing a letter or package. That the package is predestined doesn't guarantee that it gets to planned destination. God has definite and specific purpose, plan and destinations for us.

i hope you are aware that you just asserted that God can will something and yet it wont come to pass?
Re: What Is Predestination? by Image123(m): 12:08pm On Oct 22, 2014
Ubenedictus:

i hope you are aware that you just asserted that God can will something and yet it wont come to pass?

Yes oh brother, like the below.

1 Timothy 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

(1) (Reply)

This 'guy' Lied / R.a.pists Should Be Treated Respectfully During A Ra.pe--watchtower / Deliverance Prayers From Sexual Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.