Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23493 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 07, 2014
krayzieklay: Yh,true.. All d best. smiley Remember this tho: Always ask questions.

That's my middle name smiley

All the best to you as well. GL with mom, let me know how it all goes if you like.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2014
beejaay:
yeah sometimes t regret it alot..the worst is that i cant go back to it cos it makes me go insane (how can i go back to eating shiit after knowing that i have been eating shiit all along)...seriously ignorance is bliss sometimes and this is one of those times

Well. You just have to move on. If you consider it as eating shiit,then knowing must be somewhat better for you.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Weah96: 7:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
Toks2008: All these cock and bull bruhaha.

I have read about many so called athiests,99% of them acknowledge God exstence at the moment of their death.

Na lie. Where are you getting your information? Just off the top of my head, I know that Darwin didn't confess. Thomas Paine actually insulted two ministers who were trying to save his soul from hellfire. And Christopher Hitchens died with dignity. But even if they did confess, how does it add value to your faith? Information acquired under torture cannot be accepted in a court of law, here or in fairy land. That's why no one called Jesus a wimp for trying to chicken out of his crucifixion.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 4:57am On Jul 08, 2014
Toks2008: All these cock and bull bruhaha.

I have read about many so called athiests,99% of them acknowledge God exstence at the moment of their death so save urselves all these rhetorics.

If you doubt me, please google the phrase Athiests who changed their beliefs before they died nd u wl b srprsed to find many who made the most noise about the non existence of God.

Most if not all of you claimn to b athiest will likely change your beliefs too.

There is a consiousness of God in everyone put in us by GOd himself. You cant fight it.

The bold is a lie.

The most annoying thing is the way you christians threaten atheists with death (deathbed conversion)....it is almost like you have accepted that christianity brings no benefit in life

8 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by alchemist13: 12:34pm On Jul 08, 2014
cococandy: Thanks for your quick response. smiley

Let me start by saying I'm here purely out of the need to know and not because I have any opinion about what others chose to believe in or not believe in.

The atheist mindset is one I've found very intriguing. Maybe because many of them are smart (or appear to be smart)
For atheists in Nigeria a very outwardly religious and pseudo-conservative society,it must take a lot of courage to go against what one has been taught and made to believe all their lives.

So my first and second questions to you Mr Seun.
When did you stop believing?
Why did you stop believing?
When: Early last year.
Why: I began to realise we may just be replacing our own myths with the myths and legends of the ancient near-east.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by alchemist13: 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
cococandy: Here are some frequently asked questions for atheists.
Anyone feel free to pick any number and explain to me what they think.

1. Are you absolutely sure there is no God? If not, then is it not possible that there is a God? And if it is possible that God exists, then can you think of any reason that would keep you from wanting to look at the evidence?

Nothing without evidence of its existence is certainly or absolutely non-existent. However we do make certain decisions based on the lack of evidence of existence of some things (e.g evidence (or lack of it) in a murder trial). Therefore I would conclude (as at the moment) that there is no God due to a lack of evidence.

And even if there is a God, he/she has done nothing to revel his/her existence or to intervene in situations in a manner that leaves very little doubt that he/she exists. So for every intent and purposes, God does not exist.

2. Would you agree that intelligently designed things call for an intelligent designer of them? If so, then would you agree that evidence for intelligent design in the universe would be evidence for a designer of the universe?

This is a fallacy. There is no evidence of intelligent design. However, as someone else pointed out, we could be the product of some alien experiment wink. But like the Intelligent designer, this is just a fragment of my imagination.

3. Would you agree that nothing cannot produce something? If so, then if the universe did not exist but then came to exist, wouldn’t this be evidence of a cause beyond the universe?

Maybe. Maybe not. We do not have enough information about the origin of the universe except the fraction of a second it began expanding. Anything on this matter is just a matter of philosophy and speculation.

4. Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes—such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind—that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

Yes.

5. Would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He doesn’t exist?

No. Because unlike gravity and magnetism, we cant observe God's effect, we cant study God, make theories based on him/her and therefore make predictions.

6. In the light of the big bang evidence for the origin of the universe, is it more reasonable to believe that no one created something out of nothing or someone created something out of nothing?

The big bang evidence only tells us about the 'explosive' expansion of a 'primordial atom', as Georges Lemaître called it, but not its origin. As I said before, claiming any knowledge of the origin of this 'atom' is mere speculation as science as not provided any evidence.

7. Would you agree that something presently exists? If something presently exists, and something cannot come from nothing, then would you also agree that something must have always existed?

Makes sense. By the way have you heard some of the so called multiverse theories?

8. If it takes an intelligent being to produce an encyclopedia, then would it not also take an intelligent being to produce the equivalent of 1000 sets of an encyclopedia full of information in the first one-celled animal? (Even atheists such as Richard Dawkins acknowledges that “amoebas have as much information in their DNA as 1000 Encyclopaedia Britannicas.” Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (New York: WW. Norton and Co., 1996), 116.)

Not necessarily, given enough time nature can produce billions of 'encyclopaedias'. You probably need to study more on evolution and natural selection.

9. If an effect cannot be greater than its cause (since you can’t give what you do not have to give), then does it not make more sense that mind produced matter than that matter produced mind, as atheists say?

What makes you think that mind is greater than matter?

10. Is there anything wrong anywhere? If so, how can we know unless there is a moral law?

This has to be one of the poorest question you've asked. I presume you are asking about a universal moral law. A law valid for all time and places, right? Sorry to disappoint you there isn't anything as a moral law that binds everybody. Today, due to globalisation, modernisation, and the effect of surviving two world wars, we have basic human rights and a generally similar moral code but even these rights and codes are not respected by every government or authority.

In history, the difference in moral code is as obvious as the difference in the geographical locations of different cultures. Most ancient near-east society practised polygamy for instance but in Nepal, parts of China and part of northern India, polyandry was practised.

Now I'm sure you are not planning on keeping you husbands at the same time. Oh the moral outrage!

11. If every law needs a lawgiver, does it not make sense to say a moral law needs a Moral Lawgiver?

Based on my preceding answer, there would have to be several law givers. All of them human.

12. Would you agree that if it took intelligence to make a model universe in a science lab, then it took super-intelligence to make the real universe?

No.

13. Would you agree that it takes a cause to make a small glass ball found in the woods? And would you agree that making the ball larger does not eliminate the need for a cause? If so, then doesn’t the biggest ball of all (the whole universe) need a cause?

Where did you hear the universe is a giant ball? (where did you here the universe has any shape?)

14. If there is a cause beyond the whole finite (limited) universe, would not this cause have to be beyond the finite, namely, non-finite or infinite?

15. In the light of the anthropic principle (that the universe was fine-tuned for the emergence of life from its very inception), wouldn’t it make sense to say there was an intelligent being who preplanned human life?

The anthropic principle is a philosophical consideration not real science. Not everybody agrees with it.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 1:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

That's my middle name smiley

All the best to you as well. GL with mom, let me know how it all goes if you like.

Alright, thanx. I will.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2014
beejaay:

maybe u should join me in my OBSERVATION LAB...no label suited me so i settle to being an OBSERVER...by the way I was born a muslim too and kinda versed in islamic teachings.... read the whole volumes of sahih buhari, muslims and the hadith of dawood but then they all looked so silly to me and absurd and the so called tafsirs like the tafsir qurtubi is kinda childish.. what resonate with me a little is the work of RUMI (u could talk a look on it and if u get the chance get this book "MYSTICS of ISLAM"wink

Ditto, I do a lot of that already - joined lol. My folks refer to themselves as Sunnis, but I definitely noticed the huge Sufi influence we have in our native society, it's almost all minus the whirling dervishes really. I've read some of Rumi's work before, great poet. I'll def look into your recommendation.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by beejaay: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
cococandy:

Well. You just have to move on. If you consider it as eating shiit,then knowing must be somewhat better for you.

the question is how do you know you know?? the human mind is so that u see and believe what u really want to believe and not the actual reality

the burden of knowledge is so grave that i just dont bother myself anymore, i just observe and move on without really bordering myself with what anything could be, i simple accept everything as it is

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by beejaay: 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Ditto, I do a lot of that already - joined lol. My folks refer to themselves as Sunnis, but I definitely noticed the huge Sufi influence we have in our native society, it's almost all minus the whirling dervishes really. I've read some of Rumi's work before, great poet. I'll def look into your recommendation.

welcome onboard then but remember no luggage is allowed on this ship cool cool
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 6:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
Ok smiley
beejaay:

the question is how do you know you know?? the human mind is so that u see and believe what u really want to believe and not the actual reality

the burden of knowledge is so grave that i just dont bother myself anymore, i just observe and move on without really bordering myself with what anything could be, i simple accept everything as it is

You're right about the burden of knowledge being grave
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 6:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
alchemist13:

Nothing without evidence of its existence is certainly or absolutely non-existent. However we do make certain decisions based on the lack of evidence of existence of some things (e.g evidence (or lack of it) in a murder trial). Therefore I would conclude (as at the moment) that there is no God due to a lack of evidence.
seen.

And even if there is a God, he/she has done nothing to revel his/her existence or to intervene in situations in a manner that leaves very little doubt that he/she exists. So for every intent and purposes, God does not exist.
seen

This is a fallacy. There is no evidence of intelligent design. However, as someone else pointed out, we could be the product of some alien experiment wink. But like the Intelligent designer, this is just a fragment of my imagination.
I disagree

Maybe. Maybe not. We do not have enough information about the origin of the universe except the fraction of a second it began expanding. Anything on this matter is just a matter of philosophy and speculation.seen

Yes.

No. Because unlike gravity and magnetism, we cant observe God's effect, we cant study God, make theories based on him/her and therefore make predictions.
seen

The big bang evidence only tells us about the 'explosive' expansion of a 'primordial atom', as Georges Lemaître called it, but not its origin. As I said before, claiming any knowledge of the origin of this 'atom' is mere speculation as science as not provided any evidence.
seen

Makes sense. By the way have you heard some of the so called multiverse theories?

yes I have. Actually

Not necessarily, given enough time nature can produce billions of 'encyclopaedias'. You probably need to study more on evolution and natural selection.
seen

What makes you think that mind is greater than matter?
but it actually seems so. Although not all deists believe that mind is greater than matter

This has to be one of the poorest question you've asked. I presume you are asking about a universal moral law. A law valid for all time and places, right? Sorry to disappoint you there isn't anything as a moral law that binds everybody. Today, due to globalisation, modernisation, and the effect of surviving two world wars, we have basic human rights and a generally similar moral code but even these rights and codes are not respected by every government or authority.

In history, the difference in moral code is as obvious as the difference in the geographical locations of different cultures. Most ancient near-east society practised polygamy for instance but in Nepal, parts of China and part of northern India, polyandry was practised.

Now I'm sure you are not planning on keeping you husbands at the same time. Oh the moral outrage!

the core concept of wrongness and rightness has not changed with time.some things may have been practiced for what may have been seen as cultural necessity.

Based on my preceding answer, there would have to be several law givers. All of them human.
seen

No.

Where did you hear the universe is a giant ball? (where did you here the universe has any shape?)
finite universe as is known to man.

The anthropic principle is a philosophical consideration not real science. Not everybody agrees with it.
seen

Meanwhile you're answering me in the second person. Those questions are not personal. smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 6:51pm On Jul 08, 2014
cococandy:

Meanwhile you're answering me in the second person. Those questions are not personal. smiley

Are you now a "deist"?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 7:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
You know deists are the opposite of atheists?

A loose term for all believers of different religions. Right?
Although some people like to say only those who believe but don't identify with any religion are deists

But if you're wondering,I'm a christain.
qstar:

Are you now a "deist"?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 7:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
cococandy: You know deists are the opposite of atheists?

A loose term for all believers of different religions. Right?

Nah.
You know: deism, agnoticism, are midstream philosophical thoughts.

Deism, technically is one with atheism, not the opposite of atheism. A deist says that God exists, but outside this time and space. He/she does not interfere with the universe. The Deist theological back up is "reasoning".

All these are in line with atheism. An atheist says, If God does not exist in this space and time, then he does not exist. God doesn't interfere in the activities of the inhabitants of the universe, then he is invalid. If God conviction is to be based on "reason", then it's a mind's game.

Deism and atheism are just brothers.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by BraveGuy: 1:05pm On Jul 09, 2014
Weah96:
Na lie. Where are you getting your information? Just off the top of my head, I know that Darwin didn't confess. Thomas Paine actually insulted two ministers who were trying to save his soul from hellfire. And Christopher Hitchens died with dignity. But even if they did confess, how does it add value to your faith? Information acquired under torture cannot be accepted in a court of law, here or in fairy land. That's why no one called Jesus a wimp for trying to chicken out of his crucifixion.

I didn't live at the time of Darwin (even though I read that he repented before he died) and neither did I witness Thomas Paine's insult, but Christopher Hitchens? Did you see his last BBC interview before he died? He confessed how fearful at his process of dying and how he was at the live that awaits him at the other side!

Ever heard of Pascal's Wager?

Pascal does not think that the atheist or the believer would be convinced by his argument. Instead, he directs the Wager to the curious and unconvinced.

I have a choice: either first I believe God exists or second I do not believe God exists.

First, if I believe God exists, and God in fact does exist, then I will gain infinite happiness. However, if I believe God exists, and God in fact does not exist, then I will have no payoff.

Second, if I do not believe God exists, and God in fact does exist, then I will gain infinite pain. However, if I believe God does not exist, and God in fact does not exist, then I will have no payoff.

Thus, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by believing in God, and I have everything to lose and nothing to gain by not believing in God. On these grounds, one would be foolish not to believe.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2014
BraveGuy:

I didn't live at the time of Darwin (even though I read that he repented before he died) and neither did I witness Thomas Paine's insult, but Christopher Hitchens? Did you see his last BBC interview before he died? He confessed how fearful at his process of dying and how he was at the live that awaits him at the other side!

Pascal does not think that the atheist or the believer would be convinced by his argument. Instead, he directs the Wager to the curious and unconvinced.

I have a choice: either first I believe God exists or second I do not believe God exists.

First, if I believe God exists, and God in fact does exist, then I will gain infinite happiness. However, if I believe God exists, and God in fact does not exist, then I will have no payoff.

Second, if I do not believe God exists, and God in fact does exist, then I will gain infinite pain. However, if I believe God does not exist, and God in fact does not exist, then I will have no payoff.

Thus, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by believing in God, and I have everything to lose and nothing to gain by not believing in God. On these grounds, one would be foolish not to believe.

Darwin's case has been overdebunked. Those peddling the news are Christians who want to prove him false. Why do you even think an atheist would be afraid of death? An atheist accepts death as natural and does not believe in any after-life. Tell me, why should an atheist be afraid?

Pascal was a Christian. He made his wager theory on an implied assumption that the Christian god- Yahweh was/is the only god.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Toks2008(m): 4:51pm On Jul 09, 2014
BraveGuy:

You have said it all my brother.

If you believe that GOD exist and then you find out after life that he does, yu jave absolutely nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain.

If on the other hand your believe gets justified then you still have nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain.

But if at the end you do not believe but finds out its true then you have a whole lot to lose and nada to gain.

So wouldn't it be kust ok to take a life jacket with you while sailing to an unknown destination?

Just wondering.

Lets be wise.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 5:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
^^^

Believing in God, alone, is not enough. You have to find the right god. They are many: Bhrama, Odin, Jesus, Amadioha, Oludumare, Krishna, Zeus, Allah, Shivu, Amun, etc.

6 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by submit: 2:25am On Jul 10, 2014
Toks2008:

You have said it all my brother.

If you believe that GOD exist and then you find out after life that he does, yu jave absolutely nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain.

If on the other hand your believe gets justified then you still have nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain.

But if at the end you do not believe but finds out its true then you have a whole lot to lose and nada to gain.

So wouldn't it be kust ok to take a life jacket with you while sailing to an unknown destination?

Just wondering.

Lets be wise.
so the god you serve cant detect folly. If i were him,i would be rather angry at your doubts.smh
pascal wager is an arguement for FEIGNING belief in god. And if god truly is omniscient,he should see through the deception. Then again,how sure are you that it is the god that you are serving now is who you would meet?what if he's an alien? The only logical thing is to disbelieve in the existence of any god but when you reach there and you find out there is one,you tell him your story(you didnt want to be deceived) and if he's truly a God,he would know you did the best thing any rational human should.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by submit: 2:37am On Jul 10, 2014
@op..no b say i no wan answer those questions but my brothers don do justice to them all..then dos sisters wey no wan show unasefs,pls b free..we wud even celebrate you more.
Also, i read some trash but for the sake of not derailing,decided to let it pass. Just as a warning to christains and other religious apologetics, if you must lie to support/defend daddy g,do it with scope. Try and research well before coming here. Please note that an average atheist has a very intelligent mind.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Weah96: 3:44am On Jul 10, 2014
submit:

pascal wager is an arguement for FEIGNING belief in god. And if god truly is omniscient,he should see through the deception

Thank you. I'm troubled by the fact that Christians bring this up more often than not. It shouldn't even be an option given the abilities of their God.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2014
Ok. Thanks for the lesson smiley
qstar:

Nah.
You know: deism, agnoticism, are midstream philosophical thoughts.

Deism, technically is one with atheism, not the opposite of atheism. A deist says that God exists, but outside this time and space. He/she does not interfere with the universe. The Deist theological back up is "reasoning".

All these are in line with atheism. An atheist says, If God does not exist in this space and time, then he does not exist. God doesn't interfere in the activities of the inhabitants of the universe, then he is invalid. If God conviction is to be based on "reason", then it's a mind's game.

Deism and atheism are just brothers.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 1:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Lol
submit: @op..no b say i no wan answer those questions but my brothers don do justice to them all..then dos sisters wey no wan show unasefs,pls b free..we wud even celebrate you more.
Also, i read some trash but for the sake of not derailing,decided to let it pass. Just as a warning to christains and other religious apologetics, if you must lie to support/defend daddy g,do it with scope. Try and research well before coming here. Please note that an average atheist has a very intelligent mind.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
What happens when an atheist falls in love with a practising christian?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
TheBigUrban2: What happens when an atheist falls in love with a practising christian?
Like Bill and Melinda Gates?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 5:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Apatheist:
Like Bill and Melinda Gates?

Like Seun and Ishilove

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Like Seun and Ishilove
Logicboy, e be like say you are addicted to bans. grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
Apatheist:
Logicboy, e be like say you are addicted to bans. grin

What can I say....I'm a nairaland outlaw
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

One day Seun go vex block your IP address. grin
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
Apatheist:
One day Seun go vex block your IP address. grin

Seun.....no vex ooo!!

Abeg....na you be oga on top
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

So u ar even logicboy?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? / Christian Man Converts To Islam In Borno State, Calls Himself Abubakar / Bishop Oyedepo Fires Back At Erelu Agbaye, Says Allegation Of Occultism Amounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.