Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court (58519 Views)

Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC / First Degree And Masters Opportunity In The Usa- No Sat I, Sat Ii, Toefl Or Gre / Is Futy"s 2008/2009 Admission List into first degree programs out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by seuner: 12:03am On Jul 07, 2014
It is pitiful that this matter over superiority of certificate is still being discussed...Poly vs Uni...some of you have tried to score points, by constructively criticising the polytechnic. Kudos to u,..you said d polytechnic does not have a professor (right), d polytechnic does not teach well (Yes), d polytechnic admission is always an option after university admission has failed (many of us were victim); some even quoted d polytechnic as being an academic institution that accept 'cheap' JAMB scores (i was admitted into d polytechnic with 163) , you said polytechnic graduates speaks a pidgin-like english or gramatical blundered english (yes, our GNS lectures are less, compare to our reputable queenish english speaking university graduate)....some even called us technical illiterates (i concur to this, though my technicality has lured me to greatness....this same technicality made me to train 2 '400 level' student of civil engineering from OAU and LAUTECH b4 my youth service)......Can i ask our university graduate these questions ; Did Dangote learn biz @ d university? Who knows Otedola qualification? Does bill gate need to be taught by a professor b4 he started MICROSOFT? what about steve jobs? Oga Oluwaseun Osewa dropped out (not for academic purpose) of the ever noisy 'great Ife' & open nairaland, even your professors and vc's logged in often on his platform. oga seun, u ve not told them abi? uhn, there is God ooo, was madam patience not a graduate of UNIPORT? what about oga @ d top?na wa o... Uni grad. are really getting the most likes on YOUTUBE for gramatical blunders

so, my ogas at the university, whats d rumbling about? Just find your purpose, carry it out and put an uncontrollable smile in the face of many.....and not bragging when u can only offer nothing

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Trypant(f): 12:09am On Jul 07, 2014
Hmmmmmmm! I needed 180 score 2 qualify and write uni. Test, and my cousin got 153, and 150 was needed 4 poly, so she went. I wrote d test and my jamb and test scores were added 2gether & divided by 2 to see if I got more than 200 to admit me into d course I wanted 2 study. Issues of bribing 2 get admission is involved in both institutions as far as Nigeria is concerned. There dumb students in both institutions. Poly dnt produce professors bt uni. Uni use same text books bc some of the courses they offer are also done by poly, 1 + 1 = 2 is same everywhere institution u find urself even primary school! Poly was created 4 a reason and same goes 2 colleges of education. Students will always b students 4 d dumb ones who will want 2 cut corners in projects in each of the institutions. U cnt tell me dat all d no. Of children ur parents gave birth to are with good morals or brilliant. We have three tiers of govt 4 a reason and we have 3arms of govt 4 a reason! The state shud nt go dragging position with the federal govt! Neither shud Legislatures drag office with the executives! All fingers were not meant 2 be equal.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by laoma4u: 12:13am On Jul 07, 2014
Evestar200: dont mind d guy, he think sch is abt degree, he shld carry his degree and go and look 4 a job with a PTI HND holder, if he will not be put in d backyard and see d PTI HND holder been employed.

I have no issues with equality whether degree or hnd. Just want to comment on d fact that employers take pti hnd holders faster because of the lack of threat they pose in the long run. Not because they are necessarily better. But they need hands on deck whether they like it or not.

So yes, u might get the job faster. But if a degree holder comes in 5yrs after you, he'll always be your superior
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tosyne2much(m): 12:13am On Jul 07, 2014
Mcbussy:

its not a true measurement of intelligence,but its a very good factor in judging quality of education.

if I'm to interview u and u can't get ur grammar right,u sure ain't getting d job.

I'm sure I don't need to remind u that most universities don't accept anything less than a credit in English and maths regardless of d course. meanwhile,from what i heard,most polytechnics accept pass in English for some courses and even pass in maths in others.also heard u can get in wif maybe 4 credits....how on earth do u guys expect to be at par wif B.Sc holders?
well, u made a gud point there and by d way, who' gave u false impression dat Polytechnics accpt pass in English or mathematics ?..... Pls dnt try to embitter other ppl heart by ur possession. As u claim to be a university graduate, hw wld u also feel wen ar being turned down and regarded as inferior amongst private university graduates? Dats d feeling polytechnic graduates ar having.....as we all knw dat Nigeria is a country full of discrimination,'' Bsc OSU to Bsc Unilag discrimination ''.... '' Second class upper and second class lower discrimination''.....'' BSc and Hnd discrimination ''...'' Curve 6 and Bold 5 discrimination ''.....'' Black babe and yellow babe discrimination''.... Dats d nature of d country my bro so no one is exempted

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by ocelot2006(m): 12:17am On Jul 07, 2014
Sheenor: i read it too.........i hope they do something about it . HND cannot forever remain second to degree.....they have to be equal....yeah!.....they most be equal.

Keep dreaming. HND can NEVER EVER be on the same level as a B.Sc, B.Eng, B.A, etc. You want a degree, then GO TO THE UNIVERSITY.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by armadeo(m): 12:17am On Jul 07, 2014
azimibraun: I find it hard to respect Educated Nigerians. We practicaly talk like Universities and Polys and COEs are all all motor parks where agboro character is learnt and holds sway. How do u guys expect a kid in college reading ur posts to make any sense out of this topic and ur arguments? Can any1 of u explain to a college boy or girl why think this issues persist and hs gone to the level it is now? Objectivity is just no where near all these shallow posts am reading. What are the philosphies behind establishing polys and what are the ideas behind establishing a universities? Dts a gud way to start den u move on to identifying wen dis dicotomy in relevance started and why? Gradualy we wll all arrive @ root causes, effects and solutions.

Many reading this your post won't understand it. That's how far below the surface we've sunk.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by gabicon: 12:20am On Jul 07, 2014
The singular reason we continuously have this battle is the rate of unemployment in the country. For crying out loud both degrees are far apart the training is different, responsibility different, function s different. Both degrees have their fair share of the industry cake it only unfortunate that we condition ourselves to discrimination as a result of shortages. We borrowed our education structure from abroad why then do we have to leave out employment structure?

Pharmacist want to be equal to doctors
HND wants to be equal to BSC
Technicians want to be equal with engineer
APC want to be equal with PDP
The devil wants to be equal with God

If we succeed in equalising everything the end result will be chaos.

3 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by oapbrown(m): 12:24am On Jul 07, 2014
pDude: How can you ever compare HND to Bachelors? cheesy

So inotherword you are telling me that Ibadan poly and University of Ibadan is the same in graduates and quality of education undecided undecided

Clowns. grin

See am...you cannot even express yourself in a clear English Statement...you're really repping well...La Cramn, La Pour
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Mcbussy(m): 12:24am On Jul 07, 2014
tosyne2much: well, u made a gud point there and by d way, who' gave u false impression dat Polytechnics accpt pass in English or mathematics ?..... Pls dnt try to embitters other ppl heart by ur possession. As u claim to be a university graduate, hw wld u also feel wen ar being turned down and regarded as inferior amongst private university graduates? Dats d feeling polytechnic graduates ar having.....as we all knw dat Nigeria is a country full of discrimination, Bsc OSU to Bsc Unilag discrimination.... Second class upper and second class lower discrimination..... BSc and Hnd discrimination... Curve 6 and Bold 5 discrimination..... Black babe and yellow babe discrimination

I'm not trying to say they're inferior or that uni graduates should get d jobs HND holders should be handling...I'm trying to say they're not equals cos they have different roles. naija just ain't in order,if not,B.Sc holders won't be getting HND jobs or vice versa.

If u ask me,I even see ND holders getting B.Sc jobs in banks these days as temporary/contract staffs cos d banks cut cost from hiring them.

all these irregularities are happening cos dis country is out of order.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tosyne2much(m): 12:33am On Jul 07, 2014
I can categorically say dis discrimination against polytechnic graduates ought not to be so if not for d epileptic nature of d country... If the Chinese we marvel at today were based on degree syndrome am sure dey wld not be leading in technology... Nigeria is a country full of discrimination so why bad mouthing polytechnic students wen u as a university graduate wld evn be discriminated by ur fellow Bsc holders either by GP or by institution... Even BSc's within nigeria are not
equivalent. ''Bsc OSU to Bsc Unilag discrimination.....Second class upper and second class lower discrimination... BSc and Hnd discrimination... Curve 6 and Bold 5 discrimination..... Black babe and yellow babe discrimination.... Flat chested babe and full chested babe discrimination.. As far as am concerned, nobody is exempted frm discrimination in Nigeria
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by aderonkedeborah(f): 12:37am On Jul 07, 2014
Dremichaels:

for in stance from d poly I finished from, engineers (either practising or av practiced at a time during his career) teach hnd student unlike university wia Drs and profs that can,t even differentiate btw diode and thyristor when they see ones
Am not debating this with you but am sure you are aware that poly and Uni curriculum are obviously different in Engineering cos your work at HND levels are wat Uni guys are bn taught in 200/300 level, if you are not sure compare your note with dat of a Uni student.
Secondly, HND graduate are trained to be a technologist not an Engineer. COREN has made it clear that bfr a poly graduate can be called an engineer, the poly graduate must meet a certain requirement therefore, a PGD of 2 years duration MUST be undergone in the Uni to meet the requirement. What a prolonged journey of becoming an Engr. I want to believe you know d responsibilities of the Engineering Cadres and I also want you to recall that their training must be totally different too . This is my view, for these institution to be regarded as same their curriculum must be review by the sectors involved. We shouldn't be looking down on ourselves but rather be pointing fingers to the authorities in charge of both curriculum.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tosyne2much(m): 12:38am On Jul 07, 2014
Mcbussy:

I'm not trying to say they're inferior or that uni graduates should get d jobs HND holders should be handling...I'm trying to say they're not equals cos they have different roles. naija just ain't in order,if not,B.Sc holders won't be getting HND jobs or vice versa.

If u ask me,I even see ND holders getting B.Sc jobs in banks these days as temporary/contract staffs cos d banks cut cost from hiring them.

all these irregularities are happening cos dis country is out of order.
u nailed it jawe.... I love dat bro
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by donphilopus: 12:42am On Jul 07, 2014
chigo93: you are just unreasonable. so teraja is meant only for university students abi? why are my even replying this fool!

Coming from a Polytechnic product!
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by realGURU(m): 1:04am On Jul 07, 2014
Why compare Bsc degree and Hnd[2nd diploma]
bullshit, a diploma is a diploma

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by chitoria: 1:10am On Jul 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie: hehehe, calmdown and leave Abia poly out of this. Am from Abia state i base in Aba, inshort Abia poly dey near ma house...them dey do IT for ma bank, they are the most gullible set of poly undergraduates av seen. They don't speak well, they don't dress well. Shey na Abia poly students dey enter bank and dey can't write amount in words. Abeg, mention anoda poly except u trying to tell me majority of dem are like that or am meeting the rong 1s.
I don't think so,did my HND at Abia Poly,my one year IT at an Insurance Company in Lagos.To be sincere I was the best IT student for that year in the company.The department I asked to work is the underwritting unit nd u know what that means.I did my best in that unit as if I already have unwritting knowlege.Other IT students that worked in that unit and were not able to learn fast were transfer to Admin unit.Maybe those u met are not from Abia poly.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by jarkata(m): 1:13am On Jul 07, 2014
FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC ADO-EKITI is d best institutn in Africa, products frm dis school full oil companies pass any school,dem sabi book more dan gurus
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by oapbrown(m): 1:13am On Jul 07, 2014
Well, many of you carry these degrees so much on your head that you don't even know the competition in d market is so crazy. I've seen an ND guy from Poly Ibadan perform far better dan an OAU student. The ND guy even earns more money than him.

What I fink the government should do is, make HND and BSc equal, until University Education improves from what we see now.

The bitter truth, is for all of you shouting BSc...averagely, HND graduates are better at work and achieving results, most especially in fields that require practicals. The cut-offs and text books are not even basis for dichotomy. Architecture and Engineering students in Poly and Uni use dsame instruments, textbooks, etc. In Architecture, Poly students even use more, cos they often do assignments dan the BSc classes. So?

I can't imagine a BSc graduate who worked in my office and I had to start teaching him the basis/rudiments of that particular job he was employed to do, which I believe he shud have known while he was in school. Polytechnic graduates have been drilled and trained to generate ideas and solving problems...u talk of researches, how many Universities even have the facilities? We've all been recycling ideas over and over again. Most of yur lecturers now do their sabbaticals at private/foreign Unis so they can enjoy more facilities for their researches. Most of those that top these professionals classes in the Unis are guys who joined at 200L or 300L, cos dey've been used to d stress and they already know how to manage it and more importantly, they alredy know what yu're just being thot. Likewise, some poly graduates too can't also defend themselves, no doubt about that. It still bothers down to personal development. I've also seen many Uni graduates submit their CVs to my office and I can't even help but squeeze them into the bin. Many things...ask some of dem to send an email to a client and d next thing, the client calls and asks, "Was that mail from your coy or someone hacked your computer"? Before yu know it, you might lose such client, cos yu can't explain the reason why yur employee cudnt address and follow up a project...

What I think everyone shud all do is to develop yourself to a standard that will make any employer afraid of losing yu, whatever your qualifications. In my own field and a few others, HND and BSc are equal. You write dsame numbers of papers in your professional exams, HNDs even do better in this as well, becos, there's a practical aspect which yu do for up to 8hrs standing and only Poly students can withstand that. Your delivery, specialization and experience will only determine your take-home in any organization you work with. I used to work in a Coy where the MD is a Unilag graduate, so experienced and qualified, but he hates working wif Uni graduates, cos wen dey come, we have to train them so much before they can really get the job, while we also pay them (most times dey even demand for high salaries at entry levels). So he prefers Poly graduates who don't need much drilling cos it's already in them.

With whatever certificate you have, upgrade urself, not only with a PGD/MSc, PhD, but your personal output must be of high standard and quality. Attend trainings that expose you to more stuffs, and you'll be better off.

Thanks
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 07, 2014
Weselion: Is 150 an abysmal low mark? Remember that uni's are now 180. Universities students spend 4 years in school, polytechnic students spend more than that with serious emphasis on praticals. Some Unilag students come to my school for assistance in projects and assignments
You are a yabatech student?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 2:14am On Jul 07, 2014
tosyne2much: There's no room in you for wisdom..... Empty barrels mak d loudest noise.... Ability to speak fluently in english is not d best measurement of intelligence so y makn reference to his errors... Alwz respct other people's way of speaking

Which is kinda funny because the individual i quoted was making fun of others not knowing how to open electronic doors while making basic spelling errors. Perhaps you should let him know later that you should not lob rocks at others if you live in glass houses.

Ability to speak fluently may not be the measure of intelligence but i dare you to mention that at your next interview.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by hardeyincah(m): 2:18am On Jul 07, 2014
donphilopus:

Coming from a Polytechnic product!
if u cruxify him, what will u do to Patience Jonathan (a uni graduate)?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 2:50am On Jul 07, 2014
oapbrown:

See am...you cannot even express yourself in a clear English Statement...you're really repping well...La Cramn, La Pour

Thanks for the observation. I have corrected it.

Polytechnic product like you. Nothing dey una empty heads. Only cultism and ratchet behaviour na hin una know. cheesy
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 2:51am On Jul 07, 2014
Normality: Uni students yapping their mouth like wtf!!

Someone said they are buying textbooks of 2500 and so, pls come to my school and see how much we buy textbook in HND level, none of them is less than N2000.

I study computer science and all these Uni computer science students in dia 400L can't stand an average student in ND in my state, that's Abia Poly.
No wonder they always come to ND students to create softwares they use in their project.

These guys talk as if they r d best, they carry courses over from their first year and they settle it with money in there last year, who tries that in POLY, two COs and u spend two more years at home.

For me, until a uni student beat me in my course, they r nt better than me and my colleagues in Poly.

Meanwhile I enjoy the money these Uni guys pay me and my guys every semester break to come teach them, and something I started since I was in ND2.

HND nt equal to degree ni, Degree big cert no brain ko.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by einsteino(m): 2:58am On Jul 07, 2014
Evestar200: HND cert can not be parallel with degree becuase goverment made it so, bt in reality HND cert is far better than degree. A PTI graduate is more respected accepted and honor than any any universities graduate in Nigeria.

bros stop dey decieve yourself o. what jobs do they give PTI students? is it not those of artisans that they do in shell? if you had said federal university of technology graduates are more respected, i would have listened. just wait, by the time FUPRE don gather ground, you go see who go look una face.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 3:16am On Jul 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie: I don't support the discrimination, i pity the poly graduates a lot - but my own problem be say...why are poly graduates somehow gullible and local? Their package dey tire me, the way they talk, even if there is something in their head, dia packaging always comes out wrong.
Bros, forget packaging, I know part time students in my school who are semi senior staffs in Airtel and etisalat. With that our local swagg, we still dey d same unemployed category, some of us sef dey get work before una
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 07, 2014
bizarro95: poly students better go hide inside bush...wen ppl don suffer write jamb score 252,write post ume,suffer for skl,one person wen make 150 for jamb go com follow am drag spot........i even knw of som1 dat got into ozoro poly without jamb,had D in english nd F in maths in waec....imagine dat kind person after playing tricks in skl to get grades,coming out wit a B.sc..ahbeg make una put anoda story
Lol, jamb where runs are used anyhow ba, me I scored 242 in my jamb and 264 in post jamb futo 2012, so no big deal
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by liongirl: 3:34am On Jul 07, 2014
Evestar200: true, Auchi poly was ranked 2nd best institution in Nigeria last year and if am not mistaken it was d 12 best institution in Africa and also the best poly in Africa follow by Namibia poly. And if u are talking abt ranking, unilag is no where near top cuz schools like OAU, uniben, Auchi, Unilorin, UNN, UI,AAU are ranked above unilag
can you compare your school with national open university of nigeria? We are the best product ever, no sorthing
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 07, 2014
Elantracey:
stay longer??

how pls? pardon my ignorance
you finish Ond 2years, you go for 1 year I.t, you write exam again before you enter Hnd 2yrs. That is 5years, universities are four. If you don't have up to 2.50 GP in Ond some schools will not accept you. in yabatech, if your ond Gp is below 2.00, no certificate for you, You start from Nd1 again.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Atimchia(m): 3:43am On Jul 07, 2014
[quote author Professor is design to be the highest promotion rank in the university, and nothing special. Is just like any other titles such as permanent sec, director general, major general e.t.c In polytechnic, the highest title is chief lecturer, an equivalent of associate professor.[/quote]
liongirl: can you compare your school with national open university of nigeria? We are the best product ever, no sorthing
[quote author Professor is design to be the highest promotion rank in the university, and nothing special. Is just like any other titles such as permanent sec, director general, major general e.t.c In polytechnic, the highest title is chief lecturer, an equivalent of associate professor.[/quote]
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by rolabell(m): 3:47am On Jul 07, 2014
University of Technology spends 5 yrs and all Engring students spend 5 years. Am a university graduate, but am not cool with the discrimination at all. They should improve d standard of Fed and State Polys and henceforth the degree should be equated to Bsc
Weselion: Is 150 an abysmal low mark? Remember that uni's are now 180. Universities students spend 4 years in school, polytechnic students spend more than that with serious emphasis on praticals. Some Unilag students come to my school for assistance in projects and assignments
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Atimchia(m): 3:53am On Jul 07, 2014
And what is d academic qualification of a chief lecturer in the poly? Is he a Ph.D holder? I so much criticize ur line of thot. I knw it is nt out of research bt ur wishful thinking. 4 ur info, professor in d university is nt jst a title awarded due 2 longevity in service. It must go wit higher academic attainment nd evidence of scholarly prowess in one's field.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

Study In Ghana - Admission Is Opened This January: / Minimum Requirements Of Becoming A Professor In Nigeria / Adeleke University Suspends Muslim Student For Not Attending School Chapel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.