Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23884 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by mondaypaul77(m): 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
At times it baffles me when those who benefited from free education now end up advocating and canvassing for fees or charges to be paid by student. Shame on them!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by 2oby: 8:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: Please name one country with a population over 100 million that gives free university education. Only one example please.NOTHING in this life is free.The handwriting has been on the wall a long time.Nigerians have an attitude of ENTITLEMENT and that explains partly why you see 27 year olds living at home with their parents collecting pocket money. We need less university education and more vocational TRAINING.
Are those people in universities better than those who learn trades? Does government contribute anything to the training of tailors,mechanics,Bricklayers,Vulcanizers etc How are those cultists in universities claiming to be studying economics and politics etc more deserving of government funding than those training as hairdressers and butchers or poultry farmers??
I believe that education should be free up to the age of 18 i.e secondary school or Vocational training.
University education of good quality cannot be free.We should not compromise quality because we want everyone to have it
This is how universities should work:
The universities should operate like a petrol station. No pay no admission
They should be stand-alone entities independent of government.
They should determine the actual cost of educating each student .Without this information we are deceiving ourselves.
Sometime people just refuse to look into the mirror because they are afraid of what they might see.
Having determined the cost we can now have a discussion about how to pay for it. That way the issue of underfunding universities will not come about .
Government will then declare how many students they can afford to pay for and how they are going to allocate those resources. Otherwise government forces universities to over-admit and we end up with students sitting on the floor and aisles.

u sound lik som1 well educated. U r either frm rich home or poor. If u r frm poor home, den it means u might neva had been previlaged to b as educated as u r nw. Let others get dat previlage too. Bsid, we wer prayin d gov do 1 tin right, rather, dey r undoin d few 'right' done by past leaders. #njesuswept
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Abraham2013(m): 8:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
LMAO.
Do you know they don't pay school fees in Finland?
Do you know they don't have oil? undecided

If we are to pay fees we should adopt the bursary and student loan system used in the USA.
Do u know dat 3 states in nigeria I.e lagos, kano and rivers state is bigger dan finland both in size and population. My man, free tin dey det worry belle. U tink all dis oyibo dat works in construction and oil company went 2 university? Look u must not go 2 university 2 be gainfully employed. We should strengthen our vocational education system.
If u want 2 compare, talk of china n india den I will listen to u.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by abbakacici: 8:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: Please name one country with a population over 100 million that gives free university education. Only one example please.NOTHING in this life is free.The handwriting has been on the wall a long time.Nigerians have an attitude of ENTITLEMENT and that explains partly why you see 27 year olds living at home with their parents collecting pocket money. We need less university education and more vocational TRAINING.
Are those people in universities better than those who learn trades? Does government contribute anything to the training of tailors,mechanics,Bricklayers,Vulcanizers etc How are those cultists in universities claiming to be studying economics and politics etc more deserving of government funding than those training as hairdressers and butchers or poultry farmers??
I believe that education should be free up to the age of 18 i.e secondary school or Vocational training.
University education of good quality cannot be free.We should not compromise quality because we want everyone to have it
They should determine the actual cost of educating each student .Without this information we are deceiving ourselves.
Sometime people just refuse to look into the mirror because they are afraid of what they might see.
Having determined the cost we can now have a discussion about how to pay for it. That way the issue of underfunding universities will not come about .
Government will then declare how many students they can afford to pay for and how they are going to allocate those resources. Otherwise government forces universities to over-admit and we end up with students sitting on the floor and aisles.
BRAZIL in all federal university education is free
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by minimoha: 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
toluene12: Personally, I believe govt should stop subsidising university education heavily.
The few assistants govt should render are provision of scholarships, grants, non interest students loan, bursary, financial awards to indigent, brilliant or truly deserving students.
A lot of youths has no business in the university, and are better off learning vocational and technical skills.
As a developing nation the above is what we need, not all these inconsequential paper certificates.
Nigeria is seriously losing out on globalisation compared to asian countries and this is because we have a poor value supply-chain network.
We just cant convert crude raw materials/natural resources into finished products.
We export everything raw, and we import only finished goods.
Thus our inability to create jobs and the subsequent high unemployment
what we need in this country is more of technical education, vocational training and less of university certificates.
even in developed countries like u.k, their govt is placing emphasis on technical education
university education should be reserved for those interested in logic, research or innovation.

GBAM.......**in 2face's voice**

"LIFE IS SO SIMPLE BUT THEY MAKE IT COMPLICATED, TO BE CIVILISED YOU DON'T TO BE EDUCATED"

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Arosa(m): 8:57pm On Jul 06, 2014
Are there foreign students in naija,they should be the one to pay school fees.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Heamah: 9:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: That is sentiment. Going to university is not the only way to get educated. The more important question is what is the cost of one university placement of good quality. Lagos state claims it is about 500000 naira a year which for a 4 year programme is 2 million naira in 2010 there were 1.5 million admissions which would come to 3 trillion naira for 4 years or .75 trillion annually or 15% of the FG on University education alone for 1% of the population .In my book 15% of the budget on 1 % of the population does not make sense especially when you consider that this is just on their education they will still benefit from other parts of the budget e.g health etc just like everyone else. We need to learn to analyse more and stop being sentimental.

You may be right with your analysis. But do you know why Nigerians would always oppose such idea? The government has been irresponsible! You and I know the extent to which those in power in Nigeria from the federal to the local government level are looting the nation daily, neglecting even the basic things a responsible government is expected to provide for its people. How do you expect anyone to believe that there is no money? Finland as cited in one of the posts has a very low tolerance for corruption. If the government sincerely takes care of the other issues of the country like you stated above, the issue of tuition fee won't generate much problem. Take for instant, parent A, a nigerian earns 200k per month. There is no subsidy for transportation and of course, the roads are bad, so he pays heavily for that. Electric power is epileptic so he pays for fuel which is not subsidised. Hospitals are not well funded so he has to plan on how to take his daughter that had a heart disease to india for operation. For some other health issues, he has to visit private clinic because doctors are on strike for some disagreement between them and the government. No food subsidy so he has to pay heavily for that too. He also has to pay tax as well. His first son just gained admission to UI. How can this man save to pay 500k per year? But imagine if the government does the needful, you know it would be easy to take care of the tuition fee. The problem centres on an irresponsible government that we have. They kill themselves and spend lots of money to get there because they know there is more than enough to loot there and no one can challenge them. By the way, all those figures they quote are what they want us to hear as long as it is what favours their corrupt government.

5 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by sonickay(m): 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
curiouslad: This kind of policy would effectively kill the middle class
reasonable increment is not the problem, the problem is arbitrary increase of tuition fees as well as the mismanagement in tertiary institutions. All of you supporting increment speak as if corruption will bury its head in shame or disappear, can't you see what I see? Case study: OAU; my school realises a lot of money but students don't know what they spend it on nor can we see the effects of our huge credit balance. Only sanity can rescue managing of public sector affairs, no huge amount of money can work magic without transparency, selflessness, humanity and accountability.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
Samakinr:
...you actually mean there are 1.5 million admissions per year in Nigeria?...methink you are wrong. Though i reason with your position, i still won't succumb to it. In the UK, the cost of studying MSc genetic medicine for an international student is £22,000, for a UK citizen it is just £7,500...with an option of applying for a student loan which is payable over a course of 10yrs. M talking of the University college, London, the GDP is beyond $35,000. The thing is nobody is saying we shouldn't pay for tuition....but the fact is that we cannot pay tuition in a country with a GDP of $1,500, with an unemployment rate of 17%....in a country in which a professor earn only $20,000! And the minimum wage is $110. Let the country correct these anomalies then i would personally lead the march for the support of tuition payment. But for now, that pepper seller (who make only averagely 300 a day) must be able to train his child to become a doctor in any public institution on this shore.
U nailed it
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Ikengawo: 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
Greenified: This can't happen in a Arab country, Nigerians are damn too gentle.
so you're now admiring arab countries. when ISIS kills you you'll tell me about tuition. fool
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
What is the population of Finland?? under 6 million= less than Lagos State
What is the GDP per capita $36000 and Nigeria $1800 = 20 times that of Nigeria
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
Finland is 20 times richer than Nigeria.
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

What I wrote which I hope you read before your unsolicited quote is clear.
Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.
from what i can get from your writing, i understand that you are learned and maybe you are trying to be logical, but why not be realistic.why on earth would you side the government who don't have the masses at heart? What have they done with the subsidy money? And you are supporting them, you might have been born with a silver spoon and don't know what poverty is like but why not walk down the street and see poverty eating up your countrymen? *weeps* the truth is that its the poor that attend these federal institutions and if the fee is increased beyond them, how do they get educated? Do they go to the private institutions or the state ones where their fees are beyond the imagination of the average nigerian, please lets not support evil,the voice of the masses is the voice of GOD.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by manutdadex(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Very very good post.

But most Nigerians don't get it...they think that we have billions of billions of naira hidden away....somewhere.

u don graduate abi? No wonda u fit get mouth talk..think abt d woman who sells bolli and groundnut on d street b4 u open ur mouth here! If dem try am...na me dey pay my skool fees o...make dem no smoke ciga for fillin station o
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by 360command: 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
Greenified: This can't happen in a Arab country, Nigerians are damn too gentle.
this is an insult to we Nigerians.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by minimoha: 9:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
rutchiekens:

Does listening to 2face put food on your table

There's a difference between schooling and education...

hell yeah u re right...buh even the educated ones just stick to office jobs
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Abraham2013:
Do u know dat 3 states in nigeria I.e lagos, kano and rivers state is bigger dan finland both in size and population. My man, free tin dey det worry belle. U tink all dis oyibo dat works in construction and oil company went 2 university? Look u must not go 2 university 2 be gainfully employed. We should strengthen our vocational education system.
So what is 'free tin dey det worry belle' that u used since those oyibos never had a university education?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
zz
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Greenified(m): 9:28pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ikengawo:
so you're now admiring arab countries. when ISIS kills you you'll tell me about tuition. fool
I didnt do anything to deserve being called dat, afterall dere is freedom of comment...

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by slimjoe87(m): 9:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
What is the population of Finland?? under 6 million= less than Lagos State
What is the GDP per capita $36000 and Nigeria $1800 = 20 times that of Nigeria
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
Finland is 20 times richer than Nigeria.
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

What I wrote which I hope you read before your unsolicited quote is clear.
Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.
forget that Barbash and arithmetics..that cn nt help us a country. Gov must nt charge ur in everythng,let dem show us we r citizens at least.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Tex42(m): 9:30pm On Jul 06, 2014
now no be FG go pay dem billions,na the poor masses one naira,fifty kobo dem need to readdress uni wahala.hope say fagge dey see/hear watin dey shelle.make him dey prepare 4 anoda strike oo!.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by bola4dprec(m): 9:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
rutchiekens:

Don't be deceived... anyone can seem learned... He's a political b:itch and if u curse me so are u...
political bitch indeed
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
360command: this is an insult to we Nigerians.
Yeah but u can't do a thing about it. Finland and Germany are known for free tuition-less system... but there has been constant electricity. That alone won't allow one think or develop any innovation. Nigerians don't even feel comfortable going for courses in universities of applied science... because we have grown to hate technical jobs.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by wawaboy1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
This man na real okoko
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Greenified(m): 9:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
360command: this is an insult to we Nigerians.
Bold d insult dere lemme see, a similar issue arose in Turkey early last year, the people came out in masses to storm d govt house. The issue was resolved immediately.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
Abraham2013:
Read this site.
They have vocational schools, and their literary rate for both male and females is 100%
www.businessinsider.com/finland-education-school-2011-12?op=1
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Greenified(m): 9:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
ferdimako:
Yeah but u can't do a thing about it. Finland and Germany are known for free tuition-less system... but there has been constant electricity. That alone won't allow one think or develop any innovation. Nigerians don't even feel comfortable going for courses in universities of applied science... because we have grown to hate technical jobs.
Sweden and Austria too. I even applied for Chinese, Korean and Macedonian Govt Scholarships. Norway runs free education up to University Level and we are here keeping quiet.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko:
I am sorry but your "mentality" as Fela would call it is low. You do not have the tools to debate this subject.
Your father should not just hang his head but hang himself
u r very stupid bro
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Greenified(m): 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
Abraham2013:
Over-population is not an excuse, what we ask for is not too much but simple and clear...
"We want to enjoy what our wicked leaders enjoyed too" #free education

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 06, 2014

I would have agreed with you if the quality of education provided in nigeria was of any serious value. This simply an avenue for university administrators to "chop dia own".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU Appeals Ruling, Says FG Has Declared War / Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC: Lagos Indigenes Allege Marginalisation / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.