Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,587 members, 7,820,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? (21872 Views)

Suggest Ways One Can Leave Cultism Without Being Hurt / E-cultism in romance section. / When Did Secret Cultism Enter Nigerian Secondary Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Prowizy2(m): 7:19am On Jul 07, 2014
'God Bless Egypt'
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by emmatok(m): 7:24am On Jul 07, 2014
Tholuwaniey: It is popularly Believed that The first cultist group in Nigeria was created by Prof. Wole Soyinka called "THE PIRATES CONFRATERNITY" in 1965

Cultism wouldn't have been in Nigeria if not for the abderian act by well esteemed professor.. Though reasons for his actions are best known to him.
But We all are aware of the negative menace cultism is causing in our society today and it rampant spread among our Potentially blessed youth
Now the question is..

Was Professor Wole Soyinka's act right?
After almost 50 years what are the positive influence confraternities has had in Nigeria at large?

Its surprising that you don't know the difference between cultism and fraternity.

share your thoughts
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by emmatok(m): 7:25am On Jul 07, 2014
Tholuwaniey: It is popularly Believed that The first cultist group in Nigeria was created by Prof. Wole Soyinka called "THE PIRATES CONFRATERNITY" in 1965

Cultism wouldn't have been in Nigeria if not for the abderian act by well esteemed professor.. Though reasons for his actions are best known to him.
But We all are aware of the negative menace cultism is causing in our society today and it rampant spread among our Potentially blessed youth
Now the question is..

Was Professor Wole Soyinka's act right?
After almost 50 years what are the positive influence confraternities has had in Nigeria at large?

share your thoughts

Its surprising that you don't know the difference between cultism and fraternity.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by VIPERVENOM(m): 7:26am On Jul 07, 2014
Amya: School fraternities are common especially in America. Normally these fraternities have objectives which are completely legit. To me Soyinka did no wrong. The people who did are those who turned it into a blood sucking venture years after he started it.

Read about the establishment of fraternities and sororities in north america en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_and_sororities_in_North_America
well said
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by PECO4KING(m): 7:28am On Jul 07, 2014
cheesy Na d devil if he no disobey God. We no go hear or see cultist.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 07, 2014
I am to blame. Proudly maphite
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 07, 2014
Ogbu egede grin
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Philipgreat(m): 7:48am On Jul 07, 2014
1United1:

Intellectual laziness at its best! I am quite sure, you did not read the said article by Muyiwa Awe, otherwise you wouldn't write this jaundiced and myopic comment above. No time did Muyiwa Awe describe Pyrate Con fraternity as evil, he has denied making such a wild comment severally in his many rejoinder since that twisted interview he had with Thisday in 2002. If you must know, the said Muyiwa Awe still relates with us till today. Enough said.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by jack26(m): 7:49am On Jul 07, 2014
No one to blame,game is too sweet when u know the orientation of ur frat and use ur head.LAGOS IS LOVE
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by sunsky29(m): 7:52am On Jul 07, 2014
Naija cultism na d badesstttt,na d badessttt,see capon dey showcase him assets...I'll rather join a cult group in yankee dan in naija.yankee own na simple tin.u can join a dance crew like theta nu theta etc,naija own na to b d badesst in anytin we copy frm Yankees them or invent ourself.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by seunbadmus(f): 7:53am On Jul 07, 2014
jnrbayano:

I don't think Prof. Wole Soyinka implored or forced anyone into cultism.
How would you create a scene and say you didn't force people to watch?

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by coolest0(m): 7:55am On Jul 07, 2014
Since when did topic like this start hitting frontpage, smh

Anyway Wole Soyinka Started the pirate confraternity in 1965... , They confraternity starts becoming corrupt and no longer stands for hence in 1972 another confraternity was formed (Bucanneers Association Of Nigeria) till today it still remain the best and most recognized, with good behavious and high morality among members... In 2002 it became legalized in Nigeria constitution....

Check google for more details...

N.B- insults allowed only from derailed mind
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Kezsman(m): 8:07am On Jul 07, 2014
kennyonthrone: Lol!cultism has no positive impact,to me I jst see it as one of d. Component of sch life,,,,cultism has it way of bubblin d sch environz nd alsoo presently aint as bad as we were made 2 bliv,jst a few bad eggs alwz makin it look bad

If u can live wit d intimidation surrounded wit bin a jew as I did durin ma schhh dayz good 4 u,
SAY NO TO CULTISM,E NO DEY PAY,bt if u must b one Broda use ur head#ZEYA:peace#
. U 4

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by jnrbayano(m): 8:18am On Jul 07, 2014
seunbadmus:
How would you create a scene and say you didn't force people to watch?

Dear, humans are blessed with a special gift, and that is the gift of freewill.

The forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden comes to mind. Will you ask why was it created in the first place? Even if you do, I will tell you my first paragraph again.

Mind you, I don't think what Prof. Wole Soyinka and co formed is what is being practised now, correct me if I'm wrong please.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Mayor88(m): 8:24am On Jul 07, 2014
Jully ŧº all members of new believers ministry. Happyy 77.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Britzdon(m): 8:28am On Jul 07, 2014
wole shaa ...he should have used something else rather than pyrates.we all know what pyrates do.they don't in any way have any quality worth emulating.I think the name alone promotes its violent mode today.pyrates on the other hand are bandits and you can't possibly classify bandits as good fruits in the society.
secondly,they used a motto which can be classified as that of those in the military "order is order" and a logo which represents danger "skull and bone" so I dont think there was any good intention meant for forming this society....wole maybe was ignorant of what he did at first ,maybe he never expected it to metamorphose into such a dangerous thing which we have today in our society....

and my advice to everyone in campus is to stay clear though they say its an eye opener and a teacher,what ever you see or get;you are on your own.for those who want to stay clear,good for you.but for those who wants to belong to one,play safe and stop killing your fellow youths....

#ekwusigom

2 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by tuffgongjo(m): 8:29am On Jul 07, 2014
Pyrate was founded like a social club(drinking of palmwine$gyrating to beats),to also fight for the rights of fellow students,but like everything that has a good intention @ d start it was hijacked by people with wicked ambitions over d years to torment people,even Eiye fraternity was a social club @ UI until it was also hijacked,but still soyinka will share part of d blame.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by tuffgongjo(m): 8:32am On Jul 07, 2014
Mayor88: Jully ŧº all members of new believers ministry. Happyy 77.
.happy 7:7 weather go set cus na buggy time.pls don't quote this.

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by tuffgongjo(m): 8:34am On Jul 07, 2014
coolest0: Since when did topic like this start hitting frontpage, smh

Anyway Wole Soyinka Started the pirate confraternity in 1965... , They confraternity starts becoming corrupt and no longer stands for hence in 1972 another confraternity was formed (Bucanneers Association Of Nigeria) till today it still remain the best and most recognized, with good behavious and high morality among members... In 2002 it became legalized in Nigeria constitution....

.Crap
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by tuffgongjo(m): 8:36am On Jul 07, 2014
sunsky29: Naija cultism na d badesstttt,na d badessttt,see capon dey showcase him assets...I'll rather join a cult group in yankee dan in naija.yankee own na simple tin.u can join a dance crew like theta nu theta etc,naija own na to b d badesst in anytin we copy frm Yankees them or invent ourself.
.I think those japanese own bad pass down here.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by revolt(m): 9:04am On Jul 07, 2014
Awoo meeeeeeeen !!!! Awoooooo jiggy!!!

Sailing in limbo..... There r very few quality band boyzzz dese days.....(Reminiscing the good old days)..singing ..on the rugged day... In the name of ___ vik$$ runaway....22 follow them scatter... (Echo)..

We were kids sha...
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Oxone(m): 9:07am On Jul 07, 2014
Sadly Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions.

These Fraternities were meant to be an organized society of men dedicated to the intellectual, physical, moral, religious, and/or social development of its members just like the ones abroad.

So No i don't agree that Soyinka is at fault, i blame all the clueless and irresponsible people who hijacked a noble idea and abused it just like every other thing in this country.

"The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding" - Albert Camus

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by coolest0(m): 9:10am On Jul 07, 2014
tuffgongjo: .Crap

Of corse as expected from the mentally derailed mind... Easily preditable
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by bootstrap(m): 9:15am On Jul 07, 2014
Funny thing tho.. if you wnt to blame anyone, I guess u shld blame God...lol

Seriously tho. . It is, and will always be in the human nature to wnt to be associated, to dominate, to hv sm sort of "sacred-ness". If you hv ever attended any decision making meeting befor, especially being a member of a small group late at night, you will understand.

Frm a special church comitee membership, to a political party caucus or to a school comitee. Everybody hv the inate craving to wnt to be amongst an "elite" group. To yield power (ask our politicians)

Fraternities exit all over the world, different motives tho. But with the underlying aim to dominate and to be shapers and directors.

Cultism in our high institutions same as a lot of vices in nigeria cannot hv a single blancket reason. But on the face of it.. I will atribute it to the high level of INDISCIPLINE in Nigeria. Parents are bad examples to their kids, politicians are no better. We hv all sacrificed dignity, responsibility, dedication, love for our fellow man on the alter of greed, pride, fame, furtune and oppression.

Christian dislike/distrust muslims and muslims with equal passion against christians. Opposing Political parties hating and killing one another and the gov? Continiously f**king the citizens. These traits rub off on our kids and they grow, get to high institutions and are no different.

Finally, in my opinion to solve the cultism issue on our campuses, cultism (fraternities) need to be legalised. It shld be registered on campus, members shld be known, and then held responsible for any of their actions. Pple generally tend to drift towards things wrong, things outlawed, things considered secrets. Let every one be free to associate, so long as they are ready to be identified and held responsible for their actions.

2 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by pheesayor(m): 9:19am On Jul 07, 2014
Well said
MCMLXXVI: The military junta is to blame for hijacking the fraternities and arming them specifically with the aim of harrassing lecturers, deans and vice-chancellors they felt were against them. That was how it all began. You can't tell me those boys are to blame, because even in established universities like Harvard, Stanford, Utah, Vanderbilt and Columbia, there are non-violent fraternities recognised and respected even by the school authorities. But down here in Nigeria, they were hijacked by the oppressive military government for their own benefit.
It all started with them.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by lirusehn(m): 9:22am On Jul 07, 2014
i love cultism
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by pheesayor(m): 9:23am On Jul 07, 2014
bootstrap: Funny thing tho.. if you wnt to blame anyone, I guess u shld blame God...lol

Seriously tho. . It is, and will always be in the human nature to wnt to be associated, to dominate, to hv sm sort of "sacred-ness". If you hv ever attended any decision making meeting befor, especially being a member of a small group late at night, you will understand.

Frm a special church comitee membership, to a political party caucus or to a school comitee. Everybody hv the inate craving to wnt to be amongst an "elite" group. To yield power (ask our politicians)

Fraternities exit all over the world, different motives tho. But with the underlying aim to dominate and to be shapers and directors.

Cultism in our high institutions same as a lot of vices in nigeria cannot hv a single blancket reason. But on the face of it.. I will atribute it to the high level of INDISCIPLINE in Nigeria. Parents are bad examples to their kids, politicians are no better. We hv all sacrificed dignity, responsibility, dedication, love for our fellow man on the alter of greed, pride, fame, furtune and oppression.

Christian dislike/distrust muslims and muslims with equal passion against christians. Opposing Political parties hating and killing one another and the gov? Continiously f**king the citizens. These traits rub off on our kids and they grow, get to high institutions and are no different.

Finally, in my opinion to solve the cultism issue on our campuses, cultism (fraternities) need to be legalised. It shld be registered on campus, members shld be known, and then held responsible for any of their actions. Pple generally tend to drift towards things wrong, things outlawed, things considered secrets. Let every one be free to associate, so long as they are ready to be identified and held responsible for their actions.

The bolded is what government over the years have ignored, you CAN'T eradicate campus cultism with the kind of root is has grown (even outside school to residential areas). Let them be registered, their members known so whenever there are issues, you know who to tackle. But no, government keeps living in denial because these cultists (the violent ones) are useful to them from time to time.

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Korrection(m): 9:23am On Jul 07, 2014
very lame.....
dridowu: Anyone blaming Prof Soyink/Prof Awe for cultism must have myopic brain. Nobody can force you to join organization. During my UG days in UNIBADAN i joined five student organization voluntarily, no one forced me to do it, i was pleased with their aims and objective. So any student or any individual that joins club , he/she is responsible for their action. No society must be held responsible.
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Korrection(m): 9:24am On Jul 07, 2014
thats what you people have made it look like...cultism is termed confraternity in nigeria context so what are you saying...
emmatok:

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Chynx(m): 9:28am On Jul 07, 2014
coolest0: Since when did topic like this start hitting frontpage, smh

I think you guys need some degree of clarity here.

1. The Pyrates Confraternity a.k.a National Association of Seadogs was not formed in 1965 but 1952; ask your google.

2. Pyrates are NOT Pirates. The confrat website will tell you more...just do some research.

3. One of the founders of BAN was once a Seadog who was black-spotted for indecent acts but refused to bleach his spot, thus; formed the BAN with a lubber who continue to copy virtually every PC way of life till this day!

4. When you talk of "best behaviour" I really don't get what you mean. I you new to your frat?

5. The PC was formed with four compass points to be upheld at all time:
- Against moribund convention.
- Against tribalism and ethnicity.
- For humanistic ideals.
- For comradeship and chivalry.

6. You cannot find the PC in schools anymore. Not for children or miscreants. There are a whole lot of challenging qualities strictly required of a person (after series of tests and exams) before you can be considered for acceptance into the brotherhood.

7. No Seadog will ever cajole or lure anyone into the confrat, for the fewer the merrier! There is a very high set standard within the association that 80% of prospective joiners are turned down. That is as serious as it is.

The BAN is making concious efforts to emulate the PCs with many Buccaneers vying to join the PC but very few of them make it on yearly basis. The truth is bitter.

Please visit their website and be thoroughly informed...not depending on just hearsay.

I can't remember when last I heard that the PCs are at war with one frat or the other because they stand totally out on their own...not emulating anyone.

Joining a particular group remains a personal decision
You can ONLY know better if and ONLY if you "go".

Not soliciting for anyone.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Birthday Wishes!!!! / Can A Condom Protect One From The Effect Of Magun? / 5 Things You Need To Do Before The Year Ends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.