Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Are Programmers Born Or Made? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Programmers Born Or Made? (15233 Views)

Are Programmers(coderz) The Smartest Type Of People On The Planet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:32pm On Jul 07, 2014

What is it about programmers that makes them thick

The statement above is one of sincere ignorance and envy grin

Are [Great] programmers born or made?

The recent public announcements made by the admin of this forum got me thinking out loud:

"If only I understand this their language, I would be in the know if this guy is trying to play on my intelligence or just being plain sincere"

"if only, if only, if only." sad

I come to this board more oft with the intent to contribute even a "good morning" and then I feel so out of place, yet I'm interested in programming....coding especially [I hope the two words do not mean the same] cheesy

I've only heard of HTML and CSS recently, A friend even volunteered to teach me and the only thing I could grasp from his lesson - which btw I'm not quite sure of now is "How to differentiate a CSS website from an HTML website"

Another friend sent me loads of e-books on programming and hacking for beginners and I just couldn't get past the first stage, yet I want to be like you guys embarassed cry

I guess the reason I loose interest is because I'm the relational kind (I love people). If I can't relate with what is being taught as it pertains to people/humans....then I'm likely to lose interest.

The epistle above is a call for help.
1). I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to this section (with time)

2). Are programmers born or made (can just about anyone become a programmer with the right tutoring)?

Teach me. Anyone please? smiley

6 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 8:42pm On Jul 07, 2014
Maybe when you meet a great programmer, you should ask them all these questions. As for me, I aint got an answer to all these, thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by AfricanApple(f): 9:12pm On Jul 07, 2014
make i go consult my ifa, eye self don dey pain me

but ehhhh incase, if u don learn finish, maybe i fit learn too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by sunday478(m): 10:12pm On Jul 07, 2014
Not answering the 'born or made question though'.

they only advice I have for u is for you to keep the passion. Try to learn it because u love it. Get video tutorials, they are very nice too. When you are stock, you can run back here and get the help u need. They are all here to assist in anyway possible.

Practice what you are been taught.
It's one of the fastest means of getting used to the code. Also improvise. Try to do things the way you imaging them and see if it works for you.
As you practice don't get frustrated by the errors, cos as a beginner the are most likely to come. Try to cross check your codes and fix it.

Also there is a thread on the first page of the webmasters board that teaches HTML and CSS. You can check it out. The OP explained it nicely.

PS: Am also a learner, looking up to some powerful guys. (dhtm18, Dualcore1 if you care to know).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by spikesC(m): 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
MizMyColi:
...the only thing I could grasp from his lesson - which btw I'm not quite sure of now is "How to differentiate a CSS website from an HTML website"

Damn, you must have wasted that guy's time sad

6 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by DOWHILE: 4:47am On Jul 08, 2014
MizMyColi:
What is it about programmers that makes them thick

The statement above is one of sincere ignorance and envy grin

Are [Great] programmers born or made?

The recent public announcements made by the admin of this forum got me thinking out loud:

"If only I understand this their language, I would be in the know if this guy is trying to play on my intelligence or just being plain sincere"

"if only, if only, if only." sad

I come to this board more oft with the intent to contribute even a "good morning" and then I feel so out of place, yet I'm interested in programming....coding especially [I hope the two words do not mean the same] cheesy

I've only heard of HTML and CSS recently, A friend even volunteered to teach me and the only thing I could grasp from his lesson - which btw I'm not quite sure of now is "How to differentiate a CSS website from an HTML website"

Another friend sent me loads of e-books on programming and hacking for beginners and I just couldn't get past the first stage, yet I want to be like you guys embarassed cry

I guess the reason I loose interest is because I'm the relational kind (I love people). If I can't relate with what is being taught as it pertains to people/humans....then I'm likely to lose interest.

The epistle above is a call for help.
1). I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to this section (with time)

2). Are programmers born or made (can just about anyone become a programmer with the right tutoring)?

Teach me. Anyone please? smiley
You are already learning dear. To knw dat u even showed interest in d first place makes u ahead of oda guys who are not in the field of programming nd yet wanna learn. Keep contributing like dat, nd u are there in no time. Still following though. It seems it's only on ur follow(s) I comment these dayscheesy #TeamProgrammer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Djtm(m): 5:47am On Jul 08, 2014
That's a rather tough question. But if I were to place my laptop as a bet I'd say they are born. They'd have to be made afterwards tho. Not everybody can be a programmer IMO. I've seen some "made programmers" tho and they're not great. There's a difference between "born" and "made". Messi was born to play football, that is his ministry, the ball is attracted to him. The same way some people will never be able to kick a ball in a straight line to save their lives no matter how hard they train.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 6:20am On Jul 08, 2014
So you are saying that programming is determined by DNA sequences eh? So what happens to programmers that were born in an era that there were no computers? they simply died and were reborn?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by GoodBoi1(m): 6:58am On Jul 08, 2014
Programmers are made. You can see it as an extension of analytical thinking. If you are good in critical and logical thinking and have interest, you can be good programmer 'cos you will understand the whats and whys and not just the hows . When I hear people say something like ios programming is my passion, makes me wonder if they will be useless if there was no IOS. Most of the so-called genuis are those that have put in more time in programming and they still have more to learn. So no need to fear , the same analytical skills used for other disciplines can be applied in programming.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by losprince(m): 7:26am On Jul 08, 2014
you said you dont understand programming? that's natural if you weren't taught well, I think you need more raw code and syntax explanations.

ps: in my own opinion, programmers are neither born nor made, only individuals driven with passion and logical reasoning can make their selfs programmers.

pants down.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

Spikes it's been ages.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by spikesC(m): 7:56am On Jul 08, 2014
ElGuapo:

Spikes it's been ages.

the great Elguapo, longest of times.

@thread; see how everybody don full dey reply, because say na woman cheesy

even non regulars on this section.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ajibel(m): 8:58am On Jul 08, 2014
DOWHILE: makes u ahead of oda guys who are not in the field of programming nd yet wanna learn.

Just to please a (f) you'd stoop low to ridicule guys...#shakingmypythonichead
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

the great Elguapo, longest of times.

@thread; see how everybody don full dey reply, because say na woman cheesy

even non regulars on this section.

Great ke? Abeg no make me piss for my Calvin klein boxer cheesy

I'd give ya a call soon, got some lil work we need to do.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 08, 2014
zz

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by DharkPoet(m): 10:07am On Jul 08, 2014
To your question, whether great programmes are born or made, I'd say they are definitely made. But what makes them? It is determination, passion and great logical and analytical skills.

For you, the passion is there, at least it's evident from your post, all you need is determination, there are different learning approaches, find and choose one that suits you best.

Build your logical/analytical skills, you'd really need this a long way... you'd need this forever in the journey. Find different ways to implement a solution to solve a particular problem, then from the range of solutions choose the most suitable.

It's not easy, I'd tell you, but one thing is sure, learning never ends.

2 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by spikesC(m): 11:58am On Jul 08, 2014
ElGuapo:

Great ke? Abeg no make me piss for my Calvin klein boxer cheesy

I'd give ya a call soon, got some lil work we need to do.

I'll be waiting, your highness wink
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Djtm(m): 12:35pm On Jul 08, 2014
dhtml: So you are saying that programming is determined by DNA sequences eh? So what happens to programmers that were born in an era that there were no computers? they simply died and were reborn?
lol, no. Some people just cannot think like a programmer. The same thing that happened to all the messis that were born when there was not football.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 3:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
Djtm:
lol, no. Some people just cannot think like a programmer. The same thing that happened to all the messis that were born when there was not football.
So you are saying a person that was trained in havard for programming cannot be better than someone that trained with ehm maybe w3schools?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Urine: 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Urine: 4:06pm On Jul 08, 2014
Op,

HTML = you are naked.

CSS = you have covered your unclothedness by wearing a very beautiful dress.

There's nothing like a HTML or CSS site, both work together.

4 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Djtm(m): 5:34pm On Jul 08, 2014
dhtml:
So you are saying a person that was trained in havard for programming cannot be better than someone that trained with ehm maybe w3schools?
depends on the individual.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 5:45pm On Jul 08, 2014
spikesC:

For stating the obvious, thanks. I know better now. Thanks @Urine grin

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 5:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
dhtml: Maybe when you meet a great programmer, you should ask them all these questions. As for me, I aint got an answer to all these, thank you.
cool ahdnblvu
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 5:58pm On Jul 08, 2014
AfricanApple: make i go consult my ifa, eye self don dey pain me

but ehhhh incase, if u don learn finish, maybe i fit learn too
Akira Swiss grin na so ah waka come oo....I had to express myself joor....talk of dying in silence cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by AfricanApple(f): 6:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
MizMyColi: Akira Swiss grin na so ah waka come oo....I had to express myself joor....talk of dying in silence cheesy cheesy
thereis gawd in everytin we are doing, so na dat one good pass howdy
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
Ajibel:

Just to please a (f) you'd stoop low to ridicule guys...#shakingmypythonichead

I'm not just an "(f)" to Him."Guys" in this case might include Ladies (there aren't as much in the world of programming tho').

Your remark is incitive and totally uncalled for. cool
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
sunday478: Not answering the 'born or made question though'.

they only advice I have for u is for you to keep the passion. Try to learn it because u love it. Get video tutorials, they are very nice too. When you are stock, you can run back here and get the help u need. They are all here to assist in anyway possible.

Practice what you are been taught.
It's one of the fastest means of getting used to the code. Also improvise. Try to do things the way you imaging them and see if it works for you.
As you practice don't get frustrated by the errors, cos as a beginner the are most likely to come. Try to cross check your codes and fix it.

Also there is a thread on the first page of the webmasters board that teaches HTML and CSS. You can check it out. The OP explained it nicely.

PS: Am also a learner, looking up to some powerful guys. (dhtm18, Dualcore1 if you care to know).

Thanks, Plenty. I'll check @webmasters
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:28pm On Jul 08, 2014
Urine: Op,

HTML = you are naked.

CSS = you have covered your unclothedness by wearing a very beautiful dress.

There's nothing like a HTML or CSS site, both work together.

Thank You, Very, Very Much. Nicely Presented......makes more sense in this manner cool
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
AfricanApple: thereis gawd in everytin we are doing, so na dat one good pass howdy
Not bad at all. I'm learning already grin
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:32pm On Jul 08, 2014
DharkPoet: To your question, whether great programmes are born or made, I'd say they are definitely made. But what makes them? It is determination, passion and great logical and analytical skills.

For you, the passion is there, at least it's evident from your post, all you need is determination, there are different learning approaches, find and choose one that suits you best.

Build your logical/analytical skills, you'd really need this a long way... you'd need this forever in the journey. Find different ways to implement a solution to solve a particular problem, then from the range of solutions choose the most suitable.

It's not easy, I'd tell you, but once thing is sure, learning never ends.
Thank You, for sounding really nice. I liked your post. smiley I'm Spurred.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
rutchiekens:
You said:

How did u get to where u are today
Did u cheat your way to where u are today

Cos u have to read(or sacrifice time and some things) to move higher in life. Programming is time consuming especially for beginners.

if u can't waste at least 1 hour daily to learn how u code then u shouldn't bother learning it, I waste at least 10 hours daily learning how to code.

Thankfully, No, Cheating isn't my nature. The fact that I'm a noob when it comes to programming doesn't make me useless in other facets of learning. Miz is actually a certified true geek in her areas of expertise cool grin @The Emboldened, I'd rather we term it "Invest" or whatchya think? wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

[Tutorial Post] How To Integrate Paystack Payment System With PHP / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.