Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,774 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:40 AM

Are Programmers Born Or Made? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Programmers Born Or Made? (15396 Views)

Are Programmers(coderz) The Smartest Type Of People On The Planet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 9:11pm On Jul 09, 2014
luxanne:

Am fine dearie and I understand u wella jare cheesy afteral, no knowledge gained is ever a waste so cari on wink

U welcome too dear and yeah, my day's bin aii, trust urs was too smiley
Sure, It was. A better night even. grin

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dtito(m): 8:24am On Jul 10, 2014
MizMyColi:
What is it about programmers that makes them thick

The statement above is one of sincere ignorance and envy grin

Are [Great] programmers born or made?

The recent public announcements made by the admin of this forum got me thinking out loud:

"If only I understand this their language, I would be in the know if this guy is trying to play on my intelligence or just being plain sincere"

"if only, if only, if only." sad

I come to this board more oft with the intent to contribute even a "good morning" and then I feel so out of place, yet I'm interested in programming....coding especially [I hope the two words do not mean the same] cheesy

I've only heard of HTML and CSS recently, A friend even volunteered to teach me and the only thing I could grasp from his lesson - which btw I'm not quite sure of now is "How to differentiate a CSS website from an HTML website"

Another friend sent me loads of e-books on programming and hacking for beginners and I just couldn't get past the first stage, yet I want to be like you guys embarassed cry

I guess the reason I loose interest is because I'm the relational kind (I love people). If I can't relate with what is being taught as it pertains to people/humans....then I'm likely to lose interest.

The epistle above is a call for help.
1). I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to this section (with time)

2). Are programmers born or made (can just about anyone become a programmer with the right tutoring)?

Teach me. Anyone please? smiley
hello sweedie...it fell so Gud u r interested in programing....b4 u can hack or learn encoding and rest u must have a basic knowledge of 2 or more programing language and be gud at it....web design is likely not very complicated....all u need to do is understand d basic of any programing language...... I studied computer science bt can't even boost completely of any language... just had only d basic knowledge..... will be nice if u can forward me with d books u received maybe I could teach ma self and u learn from me...am so interested in u and everytin...pls I need does books like madt...
plus u can't know all in ur head like just learn d basic..then u can always have reference that is ur books and practice all d time...pls send me d books..tanks......dunagha@gmail.com
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 8:35am On Jul 10, 2014
dtito:
hello sweedie...it fell so Gud u r interested in programing....b4 u can hack or learn encoding and rest u must have a basic knowledge of 2 or more programing language and be gud at it....web design is likely not very complicated....all u need to do is understand d basic of any programing language...... I studied computer science bt can't even boost completely of any language... just had only d basic knowledge..... will be nice if u can forward me with d books u received maybe I could teach ma self and u learn from me...am so interested in u and everytin...pls I need does books like mast..
smiley Thanks. I'll send you a PM (as per the e-books) as soon as I have access to a PC and Fast internet. Basic Knowledge, that's what I'm looking to garner too.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 12:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
SirBigH Kingphilip Dygeasy (that your reply to kiddablingzz have been my thoughts exactly grin)

Sorry I can't reply your quotes, mentions and posts. I've been banned from the Rom section till tomorrow.

Guess I ruffled a/some feather(s) cheesy cheesy....

I feel somewhat excited though, getting my first NL ban grin grin....It's good I saved a copy of what I posted.

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by luxanne(f): 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
@mizmycoli: Lmao! cheesy @ ur being banned, u must have hurt the spambot feelings or a relation of the spambot, lol.

Pls i need a copy of that comment, wanna know who got u mad n wot u replied grin romance section and it's chaos, can't stand it, lol

And i hope u've been released n allowed to comment on forum games o, lol not seen u der yet.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 2:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
luxanne: @mizmycoli: Lmao! cheesy @ ur being banned, u must have hurt the spambot feelings or a relation of the spambot, lol.

Pls i need a copy of that comment, wanna know who got u mad n wot u replied grin romance section and it's chaos, can't stand it, lol

And i hope u've been released n allowed to comment on forum games o, lol not seen u der yet.

Lux Sweets, its not a small sontin oo shocked I've decided to let it all go joor....they'll settle their differences if need be. I'll send you a PM later. I developed cold_feet for FG. I feel like a stranger cry embarassed
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dre11(m): 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2014
MizMyColi: Lux Sweets, its not a small sontin oo shocked I've decided to let it all go joor....they'll settle their differences if need be. I'll send you a PM later. I developed cold_feet for FG. I feel like a stranger cry embarassed

seems ure that angry/pissed with moi to have ignored mah mails since wednessday

afternoon
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 3:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
dre11:

seems ure that angry/pissed with moi to have ignored mah mails since wednessday

afternoon
shocked shocked .....I've just replied now. So sorry.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by SirBigH: 9:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
MizMyColi: SirBigH Kingphilip Dygeasy (that your reply to kiddablingzz have been my thoughts exactly grin)

Sorry I can't reply your quotes, mentions and posts. I've been banned from the Rom section till tomorrow.

Guess I ruffled a/some feather(s) cheesy cheesy....

I feel somewhat excited though, getting my first NL ban grin grin....It's good I saved a copy of what I posted.

Sorry about the ban..... Hope you get back soon. I'll drop you a mail as soon as I can access my mail. Hope you're fine?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ToyinDipo(m): 11:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
Programmers are born and at the same time made. And being a programmer goes beyond writing some lines of peripheral codes. If you don't have affinity for programming, don't waste your time on it, and you will be safe from unnecessary headache.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dre11(m): 11:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
ToyinDipo: Programmers are born and at the same time made. And being a programmer goes beyond writing some lines of peripheral codes. If you don't have affinity for programming, don't waste your time on it, and you will be safe from unnecessary headache.

guy mah...
I see u after a long time
whats happening nah....
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ToyinDipo(m): 11:42pm On Jul 11, 2014
dre11:

guy mah...
I see u after a long time
whats happening nah....
I deyoo, I've just been trying to survive.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dre11(m): 11:48pm On Jul 11, 2014
ToyinDipo:
I deyoo, I've just been trying to survive.

no wahala....
Abeg make we no derail this beautiful lady topic.....

We go catch later...
I hope say runs dey tight wella
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ToyinDipo(m): 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
dre11:

no wahala....
Abeg make we no derail this beautiful lady topic.....

We go catch later...
I hope say runs dey tight wella

Yeah, we thank God. How ur syd?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dre11(m): 11:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
ToyinDipo:

Yeah, we thank God. How ur syd?

side dey tight and going
we talk later
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 4:13am On Jul 12, 2014
ToyinDipo: Programmers are born and at the same time made. And being a programmer goes beyond writing some lines of peripheral codes. If you don't have affinity for programming, don't waste your time on it, and you will be safe from unnecessary headache.
cool Noted Sir.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ToyinDipo(m): 9:06am On Jul 12, 2014
MizMyColi: cool Noted Sir.
Good ma'am.smiley

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 9:12am On Jul 12, 2014
Actually,i thnk as a girl/lady/woman/female your sex may b against you.
Women are wired differently from men and rely more on their emotions for livg/workg. Jobs tht require less emotional input can b very hard for a woman, not tht she cant understand it but operating for long periods emotionlessly is suffocatg to d female thn to d male.
Note this in ur foray into programming.
Programmng requires cold-hard logcal step-by-step repititious thinkg. A woman can do it so can a man. For the first 100 cycles of ths practce it maynt hurt,for the 100 000th cycle it may seem stuffy for d butterfly mind (no insults intended).
So wat makes programmg hard?
Is it d concepts? Partly. Id say programmg concepts contribute 50 % of d complexity. The rest is d emotional requiremnt. Which is very steep. It says you must,using ur willpower,morph ur mind from a volatile/mercurial type(a butterfly) into a steady/fixed/laser-type accutate type (a mule). This is where the pain is. Forget wat any book will tell this is a dying process. You kill the butterfly to resurrect a mule or a cross breed (mule+lion+owl)
. The kinda mind tht can debugg code all night ,to fix a glitch.
The kind of mind tht will stalk a beautiful concept like a lion stalkg prey.
The mind with d patience of a vulture.
Ths is where many quit. So if ur willing to pay d price . Com on in,join d club.

*note the ratio of female-to-male coders in ths room. Vs the romance rooms*

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 10:23am On Jul 12, 2014
asalimpo: Actually,i thnk as a girl/lady/woman/female your sex may b against you.
Women are wired differently from men and rely more on their emotions for livg/workg. Jobs tht require less emotional input can b very hard for a woman, not tht she cant understand it but operating for long periods emotionlessly is suffocatg to d female thn to d male.
Programmng requires cold-hard logcal step-by-step repititious thinkg. A woman can do it so can a man. For the first 100 cycles of ths practce it maynt hurt,for the 100 000th cycle it may seem stuffy for d butterfly mind (no insults intended).
Is it d concepts? Partly. Id say programmg concepts contribute 50 % of d complexity. The rest is d emotional requiremnt. Which is very steep. It says you must,using ur willpower,morph ur mind from a volatile/mercurial type(a butterfly) into a steady/fixed/laser-type accutate type (a mule). This is where the pain is. Forget wat any book will tell this is a dying process. You kill the butterfly to resurrect a mule or a cross breed (mule+lion+owl)
Ths is where many quit. So if ur willing to pay d price . Com on in,join d club.

I agree with you sir. In other words, Women deal more with their hearts than their head, which is a sharp contrast when it comes to Men. However, and in truth, I'm looking to use my head more than my heart [Talk of partial de-emotionalization grin]
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
spikesC:

Damn, you must have wasted that guy's time sad
LMAO
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
CoolHunk:
LMAO
undecided
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by kaboninc(m): 8:31pm On Jul 19, 2014
Are programmers born or made?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 8:38pm On Jul 19, 2014
kaboninc: Are programmers born or made?
Let's see your thought(s) wink
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by kaboninc(m): 9:32pm On Jul 19, 2014
MizMyColi: Let's see your thought(s) wink

I see everyone as a programmer. The most important feature of a 'programmer' is having a logical way of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 4:20am On Jul 20, 2014
kaboninc: I see everyone as a programmer. The most important feature of a 'programmer' is having a logical way of reasoning.
My Hope is come alive
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Urine: 11:11am On Jul 20, 2014
asalimpo: Actually,i thnk as a girl/lady/woman/female your sex may b against you.

I don't think it's a gender thing, it's more of personal interest. I attended grad school with a bunch of females, right now all the guys have either taken employment or started their own companies while 70% of the females are PhD students.

I've rolled with so many female programmers that I no longer believe it's a gender issue.

2 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Fulaman198(m): 11:20am On Jul 20, 2014
Urine:

I don't think it's a gender thing, it's more of personal interest. I attended grad school with a bunch of females, right now all the guys have either taken employment or started their own companies while 70% of the females are PhD students.

I've rolled with so many female programmers that I no longer believe it's a gender issue.

100% agree, some of my brightest professors were female. It really has nothing to do with gender.

2 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

100% agree, some of my brightest professors were female. It really has nothing to do with gender.

Hooray for you and... Urine? (My friend, what kind of name...)

Female STEMers for the win smiley

2 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 12:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
MissMeiya:

Hooray for you and... Urine? (My friend, what kind of name...)

Female STEMers for the win smiley
Coughs
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:59am On Jul 21, 2014
So, are they born or made?

I think they are made.

I believe every human has the capacity to think logically. whether they want to do that for a prolonged period of time is the question.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 1:21am On Jul 21, 2014
lordZOUGA: So, are they born or made?

I think they are made.

I believe every human has the capacity to think logically. whether they want to do that for a prolonged period of time is the question.
Abinibi is different from Ability. Some people may do all they can, but cannever progress to being a programmer. . . . .despite the fact that they may be geniuses in other things.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by lordZOUGA(m): 1:44am On Jul 21, 2014
dhtml:
Abinibi is different from Ability. Some people may do all they can, but cannever progress to being a programmer. . . . .despite the fact that they may be geniuses in other things.
you can look at it this way: Some people might have never been programmers if they hadn't decided that programming is something they want to do everyday. I mean, they could also be good at mechanical engineering or music or electrical engineering.
Keep in my mind that by programming, I mean the ability to solve a problem using a computer by supplying to it a set of instructions.

Like I said, programmers are made. a lot of people have the ability but whether they want to do it or not is the issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Coders, How Long Do Your Laptop Batteries Last? / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / [Tutorial Post] How To Integrate Paystack Payment System With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.