Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,386 members, 7,954,560 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:15 PM

Are Programmers Born Or Made? - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Programmers Born Or Made? (15399 Views)

Are Programmers(coderz) The Smartest Type Of People On The Planet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 15, 2014
dammytosh:

That sounds cool theoretically but unfortunately, there is more to being a programmer than that.

what defines a programmer.. is it his knowledge of code or his problem solving approach? Or both. which do you reason can do well with the other
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by fut15coins: 2:53am On Aug 15, 2014
You got your point! and i want intruduce a nice game

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 15, 2014
If you own an android phone and a data plan, you can download these apps

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.cyann.algoid

2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.udacity.android

3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.coursera.android

The first one is a very good place to start and it is free. If you complete the first one, then choose between the second and third to proceed. The second Is a paid course by udacity and has google as one of its contributors. The third is coursera, it is free and it has cambridge as one of its contributors.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dammytosh: 8:46am On Aug 15, 2014
asalimpo:

messages like this hav sent many programmers to an early grave,career-wise. They got disillusioned dreaming of big pay.
Wat d newbies dnt know is tht d price they command came after many years of honing d skill. Thousands of dedicated man-hours and/+industry connections.
Theyre many expert programmers slavg away for pittance. It cuts both ways.

Guess you read the first paragraph and you hit the reply button.

Read again.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Debonair01: 11:03am On Aug 15, 2014
asalimpo:

i don't agree with your age analysis. I read on slashdot and a forum of ppl wu started as late as 47 and 34 respectvly.
Besides we all know industry practices all over d wrld ar based on blatant shameless practices like ageism.

But i do agree it will b harder for d older guy cuz after a certain age d incentive to sit down and concentrate will not just b there. Readg about inheritance, threads , difficult and wierd concepts wen the pressures of life ar hittg (job,family etc).

Very true, that in saner climes, even at 50, one can start learning to program and a lot of other stuff. But note, i made reference to nigerians living in nigeria. The best the person can do is just to understand the concept. Just imagine, like u said, your job (wld be easier if u somehow work with programmers, but then again, what are the odds?), family responsibilities (even worst when kids are already in school and u have to pay huge fees for them to have a better education), lack of good and stable internet. how many families living in nigeria (especially cities) can afford to own a home office where one can concentrate to study, or afford to have good and affordable internet at home.

when you factor all that together, one can even conclude it wld be a near imposibility for an over 25 (30, more reasonably) to start learning to program and get to be really good at it.

PS: Most research and statistics given out there seldom apply to nigeria, we just a peculiar pple, with peculiar situations.... case in point, economic principles.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 11:03am On Aug 15, 2014
dammytosh:
Guess you read the first paragraph and you hit the reply button.

Read again.
the keyword is bolded.
Meang uncertainty. Inabsolute.
Not 100%.
Rethink again. Like i said , ur kind of success stories can b delusional to newbies.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dammytosh: 11:23am On Aug 15, 2014
asalimpo:
the keyword is bolded.
Meang uncertainty. Inabsolute.
Not 100%.
Rethink again. Like i said , ur kind of success stories can b delusional to newbies.

Why not put things in perspective. What is the ambiguity in the success story ?

What part of my points is delusional.

I have been actively programming for close to 11 years. and when i say actively, i mean paying ALL my bills with proceeds from programming in any form.

Can you take me up on the part that makes all my highlighted points delusional or you just used the word without knowing what it means ?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 11:25am On Aug 15, 2014
Debonair01:

Very true, that in saner climes, even at 50, one can start learning to program and a lot of other stuff. But note, i made reference to nigerians living in nigeria. The best the person can do is just to understand the concept. Just imagine, like u said, your job (wld be easier if u somehow work with programmers, but then again, what are the odds?), family responsibilities (even worst when kids are already in school and u have to pay huge fees for them to have a better education), lack of good and stable internet. how many families living in nigeria (especially cities) can afford to own a home office where one can concentrate to study, or afford to have good and affordable internet at home.

when you factor all that together, one can even conclude it wld be a near imposibility for an over 25 (30, more reasonably) to start learning to program and get to be really good at it.

PS: Most research and statistics given out there seldom apply to nigeria, we just a peculiar pple, with peculiar situations.... case in point, economic principles.

i think in many ways this age thing is misinterpreted. The issue tht shud b considered is not so much d physcal age but d foundation. What kind of upbringing d fellow had in their early years (0-20). The foundation can set d trends for d rest of the persons life. Wise parents groom their kids in d formatve years . Good schoolg , stable family life, conducive home atmosphere, extra tutors, taught to love readg,
shieldg from wrong company etc
They then shine l8r on. Ppl without this good foundation cud struggle l8r. Bill gates(Parents sent him to a school with a computer. Mom wrked d ibm connection-she was on d board of d company), larry page,sergey brine(father taught him @ home), von neumann (father hired tutors to teach him),
Zuckerberg (father bought c++ for dummies for him),
Carol-choo (math geek/author: father introduced him to math),
2014 field medalist, one of them (Father is a mathematician).
Skills like concentration,abstract thinking etc built up in young years serve well on in l8r years.
But this skills can b acquired in l8r years-its just going to b harder. And most ppl doubt themselves at this stage. Simply put d time it takes is an absolute quantity,
like d proverbial 10000 hrs,
when u pay d price in time ur good. Dnt matter wen u strt.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 11:37am On Aug 15, 2014
Testing Testing

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Debonair01: 12:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
asalimpo:

i think in many ways this age thing is misinterpreted. The issue tht shud b considered is not so much d physcal age but d foundation. What kind of upbringing d fellow had in their early years (0-20). The foundation can set d trends for d rest of the persons life. Wise parents groom their kids in d formatve years . Good schoolg , stable family life, conducive home atmosphere, extra tutors, taught to love readg,
shieldg from wrong company etc
They then shine l8r on. Ppl without this good foundation cud struggle l8r. Bill gates(Parents sent him to a school with a computer. Mom wrked d ibm connection-she was on d board of d company), larry page,sergey brine(father taught him @ home), von neumann (father hired tutors to teach him),
Zuckerberg (father bought c++ for dummies for him),
Carol-choo (math geek/author: father introduced him to math),
2014 field medalist, one of them (Father is a mathematician).
Skills like concentration,abstract thinking etc built up in young years serve well on in l8r years.
But this skills can b acquired in l8r years-its just going to b harder. And most ppl doubt themselves at this stage. Simply put d time it takes is an absolute quantity,
like d proverbial 10000 hrs,
when u pay d price in time ur good. Dnt matter wen u strt.

Ones foundation, goes without saying, plays a very solid role in what anyone wld be able to do later in life, But even at that, you find some kids are more inclined to the mathematical sciences while others are to the arts, thats even without the extra lessons and tutoring. So for programming, even as a kid, you have to first be logically and analytically inclined even before anything else. Subsequently.... the handwork now comes to play

As to the OP, if she is over 25, i doubt she wld ever turn to become a PRO, at programming (without fear of sounding pessimistic), soon enough, family responsibilities wld begin to set in... if not already. And same goes for almost anyone, just like i wld most likely never be a good artist or painter no matter how hard i try.

So, in summary, PROGRAMMERS ARE BOTH BORN AND MADE.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 1:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
@BlueEyedGeek

Thanks to You, I've been able to do it.

Would have uploaded here, but I used my picture, and that's a no no, for now smiley

Again, thanks. I'll continue with my HTML lessons now.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by blueyedgeek(m): 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
MizMyColi: @BlueEyedGeek

Thanks to You, I've been able to do it.

Would have uploaded here, but I used my picture, and that's a no no, for now smiley

Again, thanks. I'll continue with my HTML lessons now.
Cool, all knowledge is useful. You should also check out htmldog.com . It is a great place to learn the basics quickly. Godspeed on your learning adventure.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
dammytosh:

Why not put things in perspective. What is the ambiguity in the success story ?

What part of my points is delusional.

I have been actively programming for close to 11 years. and when i say actively, i mean paying ALL my bills with proceeds from programming in any form.

Can you take me up on the part that makes all my highlighted points delusional or you just used the word without knowing what it means ?

I ddnt throw d word around. Your backdrop clarifies issues. You've been doing it near a decade now.
The delusion to newbies is tht they'll hit it big also without d effort and timecost context.
The average learner still struggling with concepts (1-3) yr later,would b disenchanted and doubt himself and wanna quit.
This is where success stories bcome tripping stones and deceptve. Baseline,they're no gaurantees. Theyre coders makg it and those just eking by. Programmg isnt a golden ticket and shudnt b presented as such else sombody hops on d promise only to b dissapointed. Ppl shud simply follow their passion and work hard.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dammytosh: 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
asalimpo:

I ddnt throw d word around. Your backdrop clarifies issues. You've been doing it near a decade now.
The delusion to newbies is tht they'll hit it big also without d effort and timecost context.
The average learner still struggling with concepts (1-3) yr later,would b disenchanted and doubt himself and wanna quit.
This is where success stories bcome tripping stones and deceptve. Baseline,they're no gaurantees. Theyre coders makg it and those just eking by. Programmg isnt a golden ticket and shudnt b presented as such else sombody hops on d promise only to b dissapointed. Ppl shud simply follow their passion and work hard.

It is either you are being mischievous or you probably have a slight problem with comprehension.

Take pain to read Point 1-6 and see if you can still insist on your "delusional" claim

"3. Motivation Your motivation should not be money. It should be the sense of fulfilment and determination to be good.

That is my 3rd point in Bold.

So tell me out of the 6 points, the exact point that looks delusional. Reason I was so sure, you rushed to click reply button but you are too proud to admit your erroneous judgement and malapropism.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
dammytosh:

It is either you are being mischievous or you probably have a slight problem with comprehension.

Take pain to read Point 1-6 and see if you can still insist on your "delusional" claim

That is my 3rd point in Bold.

So tell me out of the 6 points, the exact point that looks delusional. Reason I was so sure, you rushed to click reply button but you are too proud to admit your erroneous judgement and malapropism.

How about if the cold hard truth were told in ur first write up?
Then d delusion wud clear.
But like a sleek salesman,u sell d dream not the price of d dream. Mayb u didit unintentionally but the wrong impression is made. Y dyu thnk, junk books like "learn X in 21 days/24 hours", "y for dummies" sell so well? They sell delusions. If u emphasized the price paid as much as d end glory, some ppl wud b able to contemplate their d investmnt more objectvely.

The tone of ur initial writeup is obvious which is what i responded to.

About me not readg ur whole stuff-
Like i said, Guessg means ur not sure about your accusation.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dtito(m): 10:15am On Aug 16, 2014
MizMyColi: shocked

eiisshhhh cry

I To'ally Forgot!

OReilly.Head.First.SQL.very_good_quality.pdf

OReilly.head.first_scwcd.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Javascript.2007.0596527748.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Java.2nd.edition.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.iPhone.Development.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.HTMLwithCSSXHTML.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.EJB.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Design_Patterns.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Ajax.(2008.08).pdf

OReilly.Head.First.A.Learner's.Guide.to.Programming.Using.the.Python.Language.pdf

OReilly,.Head.First.Software.Development.(2007).[0596527357].pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Object.Oriented.Analysis.and.Design.pdf

OReilly.Head.First.Networking.pdf

Which would you like, I couldn't send them all, even if I'd like to because they're massive, you get?
thanx u too much joor...would live all buh for now....d software development and html with CSS...were do u stay cutie and maybe head first networking. wink
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 11:00am On Aug 16, 2014
dtito: thanx u too much joor...would live all buh for now....d software development and html with CSS...were do u stay cutie and maybe head first networking. wink
Okay, I'll send them @ work, I'll PM you first for your email addy. I live in Lagos, Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dtito(m): 6:23pm On Aug 16, 2014
MizMyColi: Okay, I'll send them @ work, I'll PM you first for your email addy. I live in Lagos, Nigeria.
OK dear
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ymodulus: 12:18am On Aug 17, 2014
hmmmmmm
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ymodulus: 12:27am On Aug 17, 2014
MizMyColi: Okay, I'll send them @ work, I'll PM you first for your email addy. I live in Lagos, Nigeria.
So hows the training going? programmer to be? nice you learn to code. i am just waiting to see what programming language you will pick up after learning markup.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 12:31am On Aug 17, 2014
Ymodulus:
So hows the training going? programmer to be? nice you learn to code. i am just waiting to see what programming language you will pick up after learning markup.

LoL, thanks.

It gets better from now. I might go for php.

@Siggy though, a joke?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ymodulus: 12:43am On Aug 17, 2014
BabaGnoni:
Please check your gmail addy Ymodulus. Thanks!

in reply to your email i have corrected it. However i didnt test runned it. But i am sure this will walk now. also i made the code shorter

<?php

Class Ymodulus
{

public $newComers;

public function welcomes(string $newComer)
{
return (in_array($newComer, $newComers) ? true : false;
}

}

//Usage

$ymodulus = new Ymodulus();
$ymodulus->newComers = ['MizMyColi', 'other New Bie'];
$result = Ymodulus->welcomes('MizMyColi');

echo ($result === true ) ? 'MizMyColi Ymodulus welcomes you too the world of php': 'sorry not yet welcomed by ymodulus';

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 12:46am On Aug 17, 2014
Ymodulus: Hahahaha, welcome!!!!
lets watch and see. php is fun. beside welcome to the world of webdevelopment.

<?php

Class Ymodulus
{

public static function welcomes(string $newComer)
{
$newComers = ['MizMyColi', 'other New Bie'];
}

}

//Usage

$result = Ymodulus::welcomes('MizMyColi');

if($result === true ){

echo 'MizMyColi Ymodulus welcomes you too the world of php';
}else{
echo ' sorry not yet welcomed by ymodulus';
}
shocked shocked I'm not scared one bit. cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ymodulus: 12:50am On Aug 17, 2014
MizMyColi: shocked shocked I'm not scared one bit. cheesy cheesy

Lol! sure programmers are made not born. nice chatting with you.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 1:41am On Aug 17, 2014
dtito:
OK dear
cutie.dear.
Guyz droolg cuz som unverified entity with a pink letter asked directions!!.
May God help men!

OP, put him outta his misery.

*see, wat i was tellg dis forum owner. PRIVATE CHAT IS NEEDED HERE. SO MANY HOOKUPS HAV DIED UNBORN *
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 1:48am On Aug 17, 2014
|
v
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 1:50am On Aug 17, 2014
Ymodulus:

(in_array($newComer, $newComers)

Now see y php is the joy of those new to programming. Its Teeming with inbuilt helper functions. Really pampers the beginner. No wonder java, or lower languages scares d pants of php weaned coders.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 1:59am On Aug 17, 2014
"Some Unverified Entity With Pink Letters" Dude, loosen up abit, It'll do you good I'm sure. undecided
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Ymodulus: 2:14am On Aug 17, 2014
asalimpo:

Now see y php is the joy of those new to programming. Its Teeming with inbuilt helper functions. Really pampers the beginner. No wonder java, or lower languages scares d pants of php weaned coders.

hahaha. funny dude.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 2:18am On Aug 17, 2014
MizMyColi: "Some Unverified Entity With Pink Letters" Dude, loosen up abit, It'll do you good I'm sure. undecided

Except u signed up with the bio page of your international passport and an iris/fingerprint scan. We are all "unverified entities" here.

Y don't u loosen up instead.
The guy likes u.
cutie. Dear.
Next, he'll send kisses.(if his conscience will allow him do tht on this sterile section. Full of celibate code monkeys. Married to their computers)
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by MizMyColi(f): 6:47am On Aug 17, 2014
asalimpo:

Except u signed up with the bio page of your international passport and an iris/fingerprint scan. We are all "unverified entities" here.

Y don't u loosen up instead.
The guy likes u.
cutie. Dear.
Next, he'll send kisses.(if his conscience will allow him do tht on this sterile section. Full of celibate code monkeys. Married to their computers)
Well undecided I think it's tad bit insensitive of you, saying/writing that to my hearing/sight.

But then, whatever rocks your boat.

And thanks, I get the message behind your message.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by BabaGnoni: 2:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
Ymodulus: Hahahaha, welcome!!!!
lets watch and see. php is fun. beside welcome to the world of webdevelopment.

<?php

Class Ymodulus
{

public function $newComers = [];

public function welcomes(string $newComer)
{
}

}

//Usage

$ymodulus = new Ymodulus();
$ymodulus->newComers = ['MizMyColi', 'other New Bie'];
$result = Ymodulus->welcomes('MizMyColi');

if($result === true ){

echo 'MizMyColi Ymodulus welcomes you too the world of php';
}else{
echo ' sorry not yet welcomed by ymodulus';
}

@Ymodulus, Hi, drop me a line at the below addy please
- addy deleted -

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Coders, How Long Do Your Laptop Batteries Last? / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / [Tutorial Post] How To Integrate Paystack Payment System With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.