Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,828 members, 7,956,144 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:20 AM

Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (22160 Views)

How Would You React If Your Newly Married Wife Told You This / What Is The Best Thing To Do When Your Newly Married Wife Says No To You On Bed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Godmystrength: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
brabus:

Indeed, she really has a different story to tell when she had a miscarriage[i](mom had left though)[/i]. She wished my mom was there. My mom is not God but she treats her DIL's like her own child.

#talkingaboutmyownmom
Thank God you said this. Some MILs treat their DILs like piece of shit who has only come to reap where they did not sow yet they cry foul when her own daughters come to report their MILs to them. They want to be 100% in charge of their own house and also 100% in charge in their son's house. They pray for good MILs for their daughters yet they are terrible MILs to someone else daughter. And some men don't even help matters. when there is a problem between MIL and DIL, they just assumed that its the DIL that must be at fault. They want DIL to treat MIL like their own mothers but what SIL can do to MIL and get away with it, if DIL does same, na family meeting things ooo.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by delishpot: 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2014
owobokiri: We tend to blow this thing out of propoortion most times. A young gal is courting a guy and gets on well with the guys mother, pretending to find no problems with her presence in her guys place all the while. Then the marriage is solemnized and she turns a tiger finding faults with her every act all of a sudden. This just happened with a relative and I don't think the young gal is totally innocent. She knows why the woman was/is there! She just lost her husband and has no female issues. You don't expect her to go and die of lonliness in the village! It is not the ideal situation but be flexible sometimes! He is your husband, we all know, but he is somebodys son too! Everybody is saying no no no as if a mother in law is one wingless witch from hell, including ladies who will use the excuse of childbirth to bring in their mothers on almost a permanent basis. The man should take charge. You know and understand the two women, try to manage things in a matured way. While mothers shouldn't make their married childs home their permanent home unless situations like the above example forces them do so, any marriage that can only succed when the mother in law is treated as an outcast should not be consumated in the first place! You freedom loving ladies should find ways to accommodate your mother in laws. Your husbands came from a family, they didnt drop from the sky.

As ussual, its the womans fault and only mans mom gets bad treatment from wives and only mans mom has right to enjoy her childs home.
No mention of wifes own moms o, oh well, I guess if you born woman pikin you don use ya hand write ya own wahala. You don become a non entity cos na only man pikin naim mama dey enjoy, woman pikin na loss.

@ OP, mama can move in as soon as the wife has a child. That is if and only if mama and the couple have good relationship. I know of a Man that his mom is sooo controling e remain make she help am guide pr.ick put for him wifes wetin call. She go calculate every period for wife, keep date of menstruation etc and talks sex like a teenager. but on the other hand they welcome having wifes mom, she baby sits, and keeps the family company unlike hubbys mom who doesnt want to watch over grand kids but complains about everything wife does and even husband too.
So it depends on the character of the mama, if the house is big enough for all, if mama really needs company cos no need to drag her to your home just to havr free baby sitter if she isnt willing.
But to me o, those early days or years that wifey walk around nakid and hubby eats the fruit on the regular anytime any where grin they need their space and they need to build a relationship.
But if na emergency, naim be say no debating the matter all doora wide open for mamas.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by royalnikita(f): 2:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
Sophyrocks: Not advisable at allllllll. There is absolutely no way a mother-in-law's presence won't have a negative vibe in a young marriage, whether its the mother-in law of the husband or wife. There is no way a mother-in law wouldnt want to be in control in that marriage.

The first year of marriage is usually tough because the couple are just getting to LEARN to live together inspite of their different backgrounds. And as years pass by, they get to understand each other better. Now add the influence of a mother-in law to the mix, ahhhh, Recipe for disaster!! The wife's role in the home will always be looked upon with a microscope, her cooking, how she keeps her home in fact every single thing she does will always be criticised by the mother- in law. Even the mother of the wife will want to question how the husband runs his family.

Not all mothers -in law are bad BUT their influence in marriages must be avoided/minimised at all cost or else there will always be conflicts that will refuse to end. Which is why the man as the Head has a huge role to play in this. Mothers-in law are free to visit but please couples should be allowed to focus on their families and should learn to chase off any form of influence in their marriage if they really want to enjoy their marriage.
If I no gree wt u den call me a liar.
Y wk d mil come to stay wt me nd my hubby imidiatly after wedding? Hell no. Me wnt allow it ooo, at alllllllll.
So she wl come to my home dat am tryin to get togeda nd be tellin me d kind of food to serve her son mornin, afternun nd nite.
Evn if hubby decides to, me no go gree ooo. Was I der during her own time?
I nid nobody to tell me hw to trit her son, wat her son likes nd wat not. Evn if she wl tell me dis tins, let it be b4 marriage or b4 we travel bk to d city.

Wat rubbish!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by charis3(f): 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2014
Hi everyone. The weekend is almost here and I'm sure you'd have some events to attend.

Call Vynx beads today on 08020834370. Email: vynxbeads@yahoo.com.

Here are a few of our pieces..

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 09, 2014
You're beginning a new period in your life, yet you have to worry about being a host. It can be taxing, especially since I believe in giving respect, showing warmth, and going the whole nine yards for extended family-guests.

Ultimately, it depends on the reason at hand and the relationship between the MIL and the couple, but I strongly feel a newly married couple should be spending that time together. It's not something I would want anyway TBH.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by beeevan: 3:43pm On Jul 09, 2014
A sick one, yes so I can take care of her, a healthy one? Dey your house!!!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by toprealman: 4:25pm On Jul 09, 2014
DEpends on the situation. Under ideal situation, it is not advisable.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Ninapha(f): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2014
freecocoa: Whatever happened to where she lived previously?

My ma always used to say 'uto ka nma na mbiaru' , no matter how nice the said MIL might be, omo leave am...

coco nwannem, who no know, no go know. My take is couples shd know what they want.

If a mother inlaw is the controlln type, pls keep her afar. It does not stop the couple from taking care of her.

Some hussy mothers see their DIL as slaves and nofit for their son and some wify mothers see the SIL as badluck and poor man who shd not be respected by their so educated daughter.

Couple shd know what will suit them and do it.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by bolly4future(f): 4:40pm On Jul 09, 2014
Segirl18:

A big Nooooooo!, wey get comma without ending..
Because thats always the beginning of commotion, destruction and manipulation for d couple. Its never advisable for any mother-in-law in her right senses to do that.
D bible never instructed any mother-in -law to leave her home to cleave 2 her child nw...only d couples re permitted to do that.
So wetin lost wey d woman dey find 4 her pikin haux? Abi them been tell am say them no go born ni?
The so-called rubbish really pisses one off.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by feedthenation(m): 5:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
It's all our women-folk causing unnecessary problems in the family life - wives, sisters-in-law, mothers-in-law.
When will there be peace within our marriages - most marital issues are started by the bolded above.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by domneut29: 6:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
CHECK OUT THIS MUSIC... YOUTUBE... NEUT DOMINICS... MAMA AFRICA TO DORAH AKUNYILI
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by bolly4future(f): 6:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
Women are suppose to stay in their husbands house,so she should keep to that. Lobatan
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by missojugo(f): 7:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Is it ur mother ure calling a rat?

Oga is your room full of cheese
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Xano(m): 8:33pm On Jul 09, 2014
No! Mother-in-law/mum is not welcomed until child-birth. If visitation, good, few days are enough.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 12:58am On Jul 10, 2014
QweenMercy: Is it ideal for a mother-in-law to move in with a newly married couple??
If NO state ur reasons..
And if YEs also state ur reasons...
Leggo!!!
What will she be doing there? Dem send am come? My answer is "NO". She is a foreign body+parasite+unwanted guest at that time! The couple need their space and should start their own nuclear family. The mothe-in-law and other family members/friends can only visit if the couple have spent quality/quantity time together and have been duly informed and have consented.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by smileandlove(f): 3:34am On Jul 10, 2014
Reference:

And think well before you post. I know the context in which the poster is speaking so don't use extreme examples. A bedridden fellow will not exact a dynamic psychological toll on a host family but a live, kicking person who comes to your home to do 'nothing' is not a positive influence at all. I have sympathy for the former not the later at all. Go to many homes and you find people just hanging around simply because they are comfortable and heavily subsidised so they find nothing else to do. Most of these relationships exact heavy tolls on marraiges and often end negatively so don't bring the ill person example here, they are in the minority.

And the part of your father in-law expressing himself means what. Explain.
.am sorry to use this on you. Is only 'vagabonds' can call MIL such names and u use those cursed fingers to type this. To add to ur curses. you will sure reap what you sowed here.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by smileandlove(f): 3:51am On Jul 10, 2014
Reference:

And think well before you post. I know the context in which the poster is speaking so don't use extreme examples. A bedridden fellow will not exact a dynamic psychological toll on a host family but a live, kicking person who comes to your home to do 'nothing' is not a positive influence at all. I have sympathy for the former not the later at all. Go to many homes and you find people just hanging around simply because they are comfortable and heavily subsidised so they find nothing else to do. Most of these relationships exact heavy tolls on marraiges and often end negatively so don't bring the ill person example here, they are in the minority.

And the part of your father in-law expressing himself means what. Explain.
. As for the explanation you asked for ur mother who is among the people u referred to as 'slots' in ur post owes u that. God ! I regect a useless child. 'WASTE!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by SirAweezy(m): 6:38am On Jul 10, 2014
brabus: For those who says NO, there must be reasons.

For me, here's my main reason

I told my wife if she can get along with my mother, she'll easily get along with me. Why? "Because I can never hit my mother!"

Sorry "not a good enough reason", you must be scared of something!

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by brabus(m): 6:47am On Jul 10, 2014
SirAweezy:

Sorry "not a good enough reason", you must be scared of something!

Yes, I'm scared of losing my marriage. Isn't that a good reason? Unless you feel hitting your wife is part of your marriage vow

FYI, I'm not a pretender.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by lagcity(m): 7:06am On Jul 10, 2014
delishpot:

I know of a Man that his mom is sooo controling e remain make she help am guide pr.ick put for him wifes wetin call. She go calculate every period for wife, keep date of menstruation etc and talks sex like a teenager.

grin grin lol. i go die ooo. that husband needs to be flogged seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by SirAweezy(m): 7:18am On Jul 10, 2014
Double quote!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by SirAweezy(m): 7:19am On Jul 10, 2014
brabus:

Yes, I'm scared of losing my marriage. Isn't that a good reason? Unless you feel hitting your wife is part of your marriage vow

FYI, I'm not a pretender.

I still like you despite your "understanding" been a husband requires Wisdom because you are the driver.. Let God be your Guide, root your foundation in him as a driver of the house.

Did your dad invite her mum over for fear of hitting your mum I doubt.. Be a man and Guard your principles, your Generation to come will be affected by the way you live.

Personally I'm not against your mum living with you, but for fear of beating your wife or for fear of your marriage collapsing... (Except if there is a crack on the wall) those are not enough Good reasons.. Man up bro! You can live together without mama!

What mama can do is visit at times!

When I was about to get married, my dad called me and my wife: let the word of God be youur foundation, and marraige is not all rossy rossy, we should not both expect a fairy tale togetherness.. But the most important thing is what ever happened between we should learn to resolve it ourselves(not even him must hear). You will come out stonger and more bounded. when you we disagree to agree.

Personally I'm the captain of my house, so any place. I face the ship is where it'll go.. Even if you marry a stubborn wife, let her learn something different from you that will effect a change in her life.

Hmmm... I don talk too much o... I no no much bro.. You might even know more-than me... But pls ally any fear of break-up in your union, you can do it with God as your root! God bless your "Understanding"
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by brabus(m): 11:05am On Jul 10, 2014
^^^

Thanks for this sermon. This is what the MAN in ME tells me about the two most important women in my life.

Women who have the most problems with their mother-in-laws tend to be the same women who don't get on with their own mothers, sisters, and woman friends.

Jealousy puts up barriers in these relationships. Such women often envy the relationship between mother and son and want to replace that relationship with themselves. Meanwhile, MIL wants her son looked after in the way only she can, which is of course impossible, unless the DIL is her clone.

Their differences results in a bitter stalemate because of the feeling of inferiority it causes. MIL won't give up mothering her son/DIL even though they're married and DIL starts to feel she's the second, not the first, woman in her hubby's life.

Learning to get on better with your MIL is about learning how to feel less of a victim and deflecting your MIL's difficult behaviour.

My wife learnt to get along with my mom in five easy steps and I never had to interfere:

1. Keep talking/Say how you truly feel

For example: Mama, I realise you're only trying to help, but it makes me feel immature when you have to do it for me all the time.

2. Appreciate her good points

Yeah, MILs can be nosey at times! Instead of fuming when she's cook for your husband, why not thank her for being so helpful and feel pleased that you didn't have to do it for once?

For example: Mama, this is really good. I'm so jealous of you. Had it been you aren't my MIL, I'd take you as...

3. Ask her advice Hmm! She never approves of you doing anything in the house. Turn the situation around by asking her. That way she'll still feel involved, by being given the chance to contribute, but you haven't let her take over.

For example: Tunde's birthday is next week and I'd like to do something special. Is there anything you can think of that he'd really enjoy on his special day?

4. Visit her Mama always turn up unannounced! She's only feeling lonely, feeling excluded from her son's life. Solve this by calling on her instead. Give her a scheduled visit with the kids and your hubby, which shows her you're thinking of her but takes away her need to drop in on you unexpectedly. Teach her in a very nice way.

5. Keep it light/Keep it fun She can't cope with your kinky wears. Turn it into a joke right in front of your hubby (Mama, I fought hard to get Tunde's attention and I wear this ones only to... Mama, would you mind sharing how you and FIL...?)

You're making an important point in a fun way, without causing offence. The more confident you are about your position in her son's life, the easier you'll get on.

The place of God is the same but God won't do the 5 things listed above for you. Marriage is fun anyway especially for those of us having a blissful one with our MILs, FILs, SILs and all other ILs.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by baggy4luv(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
beolar: Pls,pple should not make it sound as if mum-inlaws are bad.if the situation warrants that they stay with U,pls accept them and their flaws.
The key thing is for the young couple to prepare their minds and determine to live peacefully with them.
I took my hubbys grandmother not his mum oo but paternal grandmum cos she raised him,she was alone and old cos my hubbys dad which is her only child had died yrs back,my husby had sisters but anon of them had space in their homes ,they live in selfcontain apartment while we are blessed with 3bedroom flat all rooms ensuit,we took this decision because she can't wash her clothes anymore,she can't cook forherself ,@times she fall sick and nobody will inform us all these and many other conditions made us take her in.
Although it is not easy but we did our best for over two yrs,until dat day she slept and never woke up .I am so happy I did allow her in cos God had really blessed us ,I remember how she use to pray for us everymorning.
pls young couples,I know It might not be easy but nothing is impossible if u set ur mind to do it.
a real woman is beyong pantless legings and big nyansh..am marrying u in the next world.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by lufflex: 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
HI
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 11, 2014
[quote author=bolly4future][/quote]

Chaie! undecided tongue
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:05pm On Jul 11, 2014
Yomieluv: To do what? Coach the newly couple how to behave? To me,its hell No. Told my fiancee,no family,from my side,or her side is coming to stay with us.new couple needs privacy to bond together,and during that period,Trespasser will be prosecuted.
Correct Man!!!!!!! Thank GOD you have laid down the rules before tying the knot.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
dagentility: No way,what happened to the house she was living in before we got married. I love my privacy alot. If i wear bum short now,she go dey scream say i wan seduce her son.
if you don't seduce your husband, who should you seduce? Hehehehe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Average Nigerian Man Is A Hypocrite / Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? / If Your Wife Does Not Call You Lord But Calls Her Pastor Daddy, Send Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.