Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17558 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2014
anonymous6:

Are you Ghanian or Caribbean?
Canadian really, of Caribbean decent whos family owns property in both lands.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Most of those stuffs are about genealogy and to some extent the origin of the tribe/ethnic group ..at least where I'm from, we have what is called the Mvett although very interesting, it doesn't tell much about the culture per se

well they tell us a little of what has happened before and help ground the people in the ancient ways

They are important

I will be interested in your thoughts on culture dynamics when you post it
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia1: 8:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Are you implying that traveling , curiosity, discovering are Western things?

Africans psychological hate or blockage for the sea has a lot to do with slavery, pre slavery we used to travel through the sea, just look at the islands surrounding us, how did we get there if not through the sea ?

Anyway I don't know all African cultures and I from the forest but I really doubt any African culture has anything against the sea est with a continent a surrounded by water bodies, I mean common ...who exactly? Ijaw ? Sawa ?

i said crossing the sea, not viewing the sea.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2014
tpia1:

i said crossing the sea, not viewing the sea.

There are proofs of Africans reaching the new world/America before Columbus
Africans in China nko

Na wa Oooo with una, what do you have to say about that. They used planes abi?.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 11:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

There are proofs of Africans reaching the new world/America before Columbus
Africans in China nko

Na wa Oooo with una, what do you have to say about that. They used planes abi?.
no there's not. plus the viking got to north America before Columbus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_colonization_of_the_Americas
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
blackprowler:

Your very question is already prejudiced. Like you, the vast majority are conscious of those things and defer to it. That is the very reason why we continue to remain a backward continent. Everything you defend as your "culture" today was also practiced by your superiors in other continents until they knew better and changed. They stopped killing "witches" in England in the 1600s; this is 2014. The latest one they're giving up now which is dumped on your society and worrying you all is Christianity and Islam.

Go and read and stop regurgitating the prejudice you were born in. I love many African music, clothing and art, but by God I hate the vast majority of your traditions, values and belief system
Too bad. Because you're missing out on quite alot of advancement.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 11:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
TerryCarr:
no there's not. plus the viking got to north America before Columbus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_colonization_of_the_Americas

Hey listen white supremacist, if wiki is your proof that those primitives and barbarians called vikings reached North America before colombus then I you are a joker

1st of voice, there are no tangible proofs of such
2nd of voice I said America not north America in regard of African, its a known fact that the olmec were of African descent and they did reach America before any albino looking humanoid

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 11:50pm On Jul 11, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Lmaoo tpia5 na wa ooo

Please Kingston, don't mind the brainwashed slaves, knock their heads and move on, you can't save everyone, we should only make sure that the 1diots roaming our continent don't become the majority,
Unfortunatly, I think that has already happened. Colonialsm has brainwashed the generations of city dwellers who run the country to only value western ideals instead of objective ones. Luckily, there are still a few traditionalists and "uneducated" people who can help return their continent back to civilization.

imagine that girl saying she became wiser lmfaooo and the other fellow to say that his culture evolves lol tho , I believe culture is dynamic to some extent but those changes have to b made from within and voluntary:..furthermore there's a difference between dropping your culture and changing it, to bad most did the former...
I had a gf, who was always complaining that I'm too traditionalist, wth does that mean

Tho fulaman didn't mention or single out women, denying that they are the weakest link and the most brainwashed is like denying the existence of the sun @fulanigirl
I agree, I even made a thread on the importance of tradition and objective reasoning. It was a very enlightening article by a man named Karl Khan who I quoted when replying to alienYOUTH.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
pickabeau1:

If you believe culture is dynamic why does it seem you don't like change
We don't like change for the sake of copying some random group of people for acceptance. We only want objective change, aka real enlightenment, that only seeks to reform cultural values and practices through proper, unbiased evaluation and not ethnocentric views which is what is destroying Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 11:59pm On Jul 11, 2014
@ pickabeau1
This exchange is a good example of I'm talking about.
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
blackprowler:
Your very question is already prejudiced. Like you, the vast majority are conscious of those things and defer to it. That is the very reason why we continue to remain a backward continent. Everything you defend as your "culture" today was also practiced by your superiors in other continents until they knew better and changed. They stopped killing "witches" in England in the 1600s; this is 2014. The latest one they're giving up now which is dumped on your society and worrying you all is Christianity and Islam.

Go and read and stop regurgitating the prejudice you were born in. I love many African music, clothing and art, but by God I hate the vast majority of your traditions, values and belief system
Really our superiors , our traditions ? Dayum don't know whether to laugh or cry
So you basically hate your identity that's if you are even African

Btw who determines what's civilized or being civilized is ? Can you all stop judging us through Western paradigms and your westernized brains?
No need to add you can't miss what you never had
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by anonymous6(f): 1:42am On Jul 12, 2014
kingston277:
Canadian really, of Caribbean decent whos family owns property in both lands.

Interesting, you seemed knowledgeable about cultural politics in african countries, so I was curious about your background
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 2:50am On Jul 12, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Hey listen white supremacist, if wiki is your proof that those primitives and barbarians called vikings reached North America before colombus then I you are a joker

1st of voice, there are no tangible proofs of such
2nd of voice I said America not north America in regard of African, its a known fact that the olmec were of African descent and they did reach America before any albino looking humanoid
the Olmecs were a stone age native civilization & Africans are iron age but anyway the viking were not "primitive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53no4LqsAw
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 9:16am On Jul 12, 2014
kingston277:
We don't like change for the sake of copying some random group of people for acceptance. We only want objective change, aka real enlightenment, that only seeks to reform cultural values and practices through proper, unbiased evaluation and not ethnocentric views which is what is destroying Nigeria.

Not sure u been following the discussion

I asked a question n no one has answered

At what point is the change of the sub components can a culture be deemed changed

Answer this
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 3:36pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Not sure u been following the discussion

I asked a question n no one has answered

At what point is the change of the sub components can a culture be deemed changed

Answer this

The moment that culture or most affiliates of that culture start saying that another culture is better than their own.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

The moment that culture or most affiliates of that culture start saying that another culture is better than their own.

Is that what you assumed you heard or what they really said

Are you sure you are not hearing Europe is better than Africa? Etc...
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Is that what you assumed you heard or what they really said

Are you sure you are not hearing Europe is better than Africa? Etc...

There are many people on these forums calling their ancestral cultures barbaric... If that is true, what makes their culture more barbaric than cultures of today? Especially those that hail from the west.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

There are many people on these forums calling their ancestral cultures barbaric... If that is true, what makes their culture more barbaric than cultures of today? Especially those that hail from the west.

You see..the argument is going from one side to the other..few points

Is it the people who are emotional you have an issue with or the fact that as a collective unit,our culture has not transpired to greatness

What's the point of this thread..is it a rant or a call to renaissance
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Is it the people who are emotional you have an issue with or the fact that as a collective unit,our culture has nor transpired to greatness

and thats a big problem every culture is "great" in their own right just because you see no "Rome" in Africa does not mean they are lesser
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
and thats a big problem every culture is "great" in their own right just because you see no "Rome" in Africa does not mean they are lesser
[img]ttp://www.sierra-leone.org/Postcards/SLPOSTCARDS007.jpg[/img]

Assumptions..I never mentioned Rome..

What determines if a culture is great then
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Is it the people who are emotional you have an issue with or the fact that as a collective unit,our culture has not transpired to greatness

The point of this thread as aforementioned is to make people aware that there are always reprecussions to abandoning native and traditional cultures. If cultures dissipate, you become like everyone else. You lose your uniqueness and the things that make culture special. It is about cultural awareness.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:

There was Rome in Africa albeit Ancient Egypt, albeit the Zulu Empire, albeit the Songhai Empire, The Benin Empire, the Tukulur(Toucouleur)/Fulani empires, etc.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

The point of this thread as aforementioned is to make people aware that there are always reprecussions to abandoning native and traditional cultures. If cultures dissipate, you become like everyone else. You lose your uniqueness and the things that make culture special. It is about cultural awareness.

OK.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Assumptions..I never mentioned Rome..

What determines if a culture is great then
if white people say it is grin grin but to be real a culture is "great" IMO because it is part of how you are as a person.
what makes this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG24IhA6NRk

any better then this? because they are white?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxhhF_nHxIs

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

There was Rome in Africa albeit Ancient Egypt, albeit the Zulu Empire, albeit the Songhai Empire, The Benin Empire, the Tukulur(Toucouleur)/Fulani empires, etc.
im talking about in technology.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
if white people say it is grin grin but to be real a culture is "great" IMO because it is part of how you are as a person.
what makes this
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG24IhA6NRk

any better then this? because they are white?
htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxhhF_nHxIs

This thread is really all about the place

How can you term a dance as evidence of d greatness of a culture

All the while I've been waiting for intangibles which are even more important

That's the identity

So if I dance like a Zulu man ..I'm Zulu yay

The Zulus are great because of d exploits of their leaders, their wars with the Boers and wealth not a dance undecided

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 5:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

This thread is really all about the place

How can you term a dance as evidence of d greatness of a culture

All the while I've been waiting for intangibles which are even more important

That's the identity

So if I dance like a Zulu man ..I'm Zulu yay

The Zulus are great because of d exploits of their leaders, their wars with the Boers and wealth not a dance undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzU7Ega2R8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI8xPplSeQ
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
im talking about in technology.

You linked a Coliseum, what about the Mosque of Djenne, or the Pyramids of Egypt? There are many wonders of Africa as well, did you know the binary system might have also begun in Africa.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:48pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzU7Ega2R8

htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI8xPplSeQ

Whats the point of all these...
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 5:49pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

You linked a Coliseum, what about the Mosque of Djenne, or the Pyramids of Egypt? There are many wonders of Africa as well, did you know the binary system might have also begun in Africa.
Egypt is overrated like Greece
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Whats the point of all this...
"greatness"

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr: Egypt is overrated like Greece

LOL you have been watching too much Spartacus dear friend cheesy
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
"greatness"

As I asked earlier...what determines greatness of a culture

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Full List Of Past Olubadans / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.